10-02-2011, 11:12 AM
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Concord, New Hampshire
While there are no expectations of children entering into Kindergarten (unlike a higher grade), as a K teacher myself I can tell you what makes me so very happy
I love it when my kinder kids can...
* recognize their first and last name in print (soooo much easier to find their name tag/cubbie)
* write their first name
* count to 30;
* recognize numerals 0-10
* tell you when two words rhyme;
* tell you the beginning sound in a word (i.e., "bed" begins with the /b/ sound)
* listen to a story 5-7 minutes long
* name basic colors
* get themselves dressed (in winter this is a must)
Hope this helps!