Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Education (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/education-f294/)
-   -   Teaching older adults (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/education-f294/teaching-older-adults-t561681.html)

Scrapjanny 09-26-2012 11:35 AM

Teaching older adults
 
Hi everyone. I'm not a new member here on SCS, but I have never posted in this forum before. I was an English teacher for 14 years, and in the interim, I've done retail work and taught adult stamping/scrapbooking workshops.

This coming Monday, I am starting a new job teaching technology to older adults. Does anyone else here teach adults? Any advice or tips?

TeeGeeDee 10-03-2012 12:20 PM

Congratulations!!!!!

No tips from the teaching side but as someone who took a few technology courses (as an adult) please try to avoid mis-matching students (if pairing or teams are part of the course). I barely learned anything (except from my own studying) in one course because my teammate (one shared computer per team) idn't even know how to use a mouse and it was described as an intermedite-level course.

Your students are lucky to have you!!!

Scrapjanny 10-03-2012 12:50 PM

Thanks, Tina! Each student has his/her own computer, so no worries there. I love it!

luvallthisstampin 10-10-2012 07:49 PM

I taught medical professionals how to use the hospital electronic medical record for years. Some things that we were very mindful of was: ask permission from them before you take over their mouse, use the word click instead of hit, and mind their personal space. That is all I can think of right now.

Congrats on your new job.

Scrapjanny 10-11-2012 03:24 AM

Thanks for the feedback and the congrats. I'll keep those things in mind.

clairehobby 01-07-2013 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapjanny (Post 19711944)
Hi everyone. I'm not a new member here on SCS, but I have never posted in this forum before. I was an English teacher for 14 years, and in the interim, I've done retail work and taught adult stamping/scrapbooking workshops.

This coming Monday, I am starting a new job teaching technology to older adults. Does anyone else here teach adults? Any advice or tips?

Teaching older people must be very funny , i belive if you treat them nice and kind , they will love you . It'S a good job.

suecake 03-26-2013 07:33 AM

they are much easier to teach because they want to be there and I think that makes them work and try harder. Remeber they don't always remember it the first time even though they try too.

sandilotter 04-09-2013 10:35 AM

Congratulations on starting your new job. I used to each teach Lifelong Learning classes at our local Adult Education Center, and all of the students had to be 55 or older to take the classes.

The first thing to remember is that not everyone understands the most basic of concepts. Click your mouse - what is click, and do I press on the right hand section or the left hand section?

Every class has someone who is at least a little bit ahead of the learning curve. Older learners crave acceptance and attention, if for no other reason than to show that they are not stupid old people. Reward everyone (especially the slower learners) with praise. Older learners can also be the epitome of the grumpy old person, so any disciplinary issues need to be discussed with the student in a 1 on 1 situation outside of the classroom.

I wish you lots of luck in your new endeavor. I hope it is rewarding for both you and your students.

Scrapjanny 04-09-2013 12:27 PM

Thanks. This is the best job I've ever had! I'm about to start my third quarter, and I'm designing a new class for the program. It's very rewarding, and I feel like I'm doing something so necessary and vital.

winnieu 04-12-2013 10:35 AM

Congrats!!
 
I am so happy to see this! I hardly look around off the stamping section, and was glad to read about your success and happy position! You are a natural teacher and so personable, I know you are in your element!

Billie Anne 04-12-2013 11:10 AM

Watch out for the teacher hog. They are in a lot of classes. They hog the teacher and other students can't get near the teacher to ask questions. Also as someone said before, there are sometimes people that are in over their heads and they drag down the whole class.

Scrapjanny 04-12-2013 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winnieu (Post 20110627)
I am so happy to see this! I hardly look around off the stamping section, and was glad to read about your success and happy position! You are a natural teacher and so personable, I know you are in your element!

Thanks so much, Winnie! We have to get together to stamp. I miss you.

Scrapjanny 04-12-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billie Anne (Post 20110693)
Watch out for the teacher hog. They are in a lot of classes. They hog the teacher and other students can't get near the teacher to ask questions. Also as someone said before, there are sometimes people that are in over their heads and they drag down the whole class.

Will do. I've run into a few, and I'm handling them pretty well.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:06 AM.