Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Education (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/education-f294/)
-   -   Teachers, do you...? (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/education-f294/teachers-do-you-t572962.html)

Coldstream 05-10-2013 09:00 PM

Teachers, do you...?

1 Attachment(s)
..enjoy receiving card sets as a gift for Teacher Appreciation Week? I just made 50+ sets for the 2nd year in a row, and again, have not received any feedback, good or bad. I love, love our teachers, but if they would rather get a gift card, then I would much rather save my time and give them what they want! My feelings are a bit hurt, too- can you tell?? :rolleyes:

LizSwickley 05-11-2013 07:14 PM

I would LOVE to get these cards! They are awesome! Sorry about the recipients lack of feedback - you deserve a big thank you!

Christine P 05-14-2013 04:20 PM

I would love any gift. People often forget about high school teachers, and students don't often want to bring gifts at that age. And a thank you card is a must! I'm sorry that your gifts weren't acknowledged. I would have hurt feelings, too.

happigirlcorgi 05-18-2013 09:49 AM

I had a parent order me a set of personalized note cards my first year... I actually still have them, because I love them and don't want to use them up!
As a teacher, you are supposed to model everything for your students, particularly in the elementary arena. I am so sorry you have not received any kind of thank you... the only excuses I can think of that might ease your feelings are (1) if the teacher(s) had huge class sizes, and it was all he/she could do to just get through all of the work every day, or (2) if the teacher gave you a verbal thank you (or even an e-mail that may have gotten lost in the spambox?) and figured that was enough.
Neither of those would make it RIGHT, just a thought.
But your work is amazing! I would take em, too - and then use one to thank you! :)

XcessStamps 05-18-2013 02:45 PM

I'm not a teacher, but I'd love a set of your cards - very pretty!!

gr8cards 05-30-2013 06:44 AM

I thought your cards were exceptional and I would also love to receive a set. Starbucks gift cards are nice and I DO appreciate any token I receive, but something that obviously took time and energy to create is more than special. For several years, I made first day of school cards for the staff at my school and included a little candy bar or chocolate kiss. If I was lucky, I got maybe two thank-yous. And these people are my friends!! After attempts at Valentines, I finally gave it up. I don't think anyone purposely meant to hurt your feelings because I chalk it up to not being taught proper etiquette. I have two boys and when their birthdays would roll around each year, our large family would shower them with cards and money. Our rule was until they wrote the thank you note, I held on to the money. It didn't take long for them to understand that the faster they acted, the sooner they got the reward! Today, as adults, they still send notes of appreciation, but they understand why it's important.

You are Wonder Woman for making 50 sets!!

janny3 05-31-2013 03:35 PM

These are so pretty! As a teacher I would be delighted to receive them!

stampwithjoanne 05-31-2013 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gr8cards (Post 20183139)
I thought your cards were exceptional and I would also love to receive a set. Starbucks gift cards are nice and I DO appreciate any token I receive, but something that obviously took time and energy to create is more than special. For several years, I made first day of school cards for the staff at my school and included a little candy bar or chocolate kiss. If I was lucky, I got maybe two thank-yous. And these people are my friends!! After attempts at Valentines, I finally gave it up. I don't think anyone purposely meant to hurt your feelings because I chalk it up to not being taught proper etiquette. I have two boys and when their birthdays would roll around each year, our large family would shower them with cards and money. Our rule was until they wrote the thank you note, I held on to the money. It didn't take long for them to understand that the faster they acted, the sooner they got the reward! Today, as adults, they still send notes of appreciation, but they understand why it's important.

I love your thought process----to 'withhold' the gift until a thank you has been written.

Also, I (personally) stop gifts to those who don't acknowledge them. One strike and you're off my list. Yes, it may sound harsh, but such is life! Teachers included. I'd drop them off your list. Just my opinion!

gr8cards 06-01-2013 07:51 AM

I totally agree. We sent my husband's niece $100 for HS graduation last year (we knew she really needed the money for college) and never heard a word from her. I consider that rude beyond words, so that's it!

*Alice* 06-02-2013 11:03 AM

I'm picky, as a card marker, and I would love to get your cards. I made cards for a couple friend/teachers last year, and they showed no appreciation. I was crushed too. I find that people forget to tell the giver how much they like the gift, but they tell everyone else.

*Alice* 06-02-2013 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gr8cards (Post 20183139)

Wonderful idea, and writing notes is important. I was impressed that a handful of my students hand wrote thank you cards for me, and I was just the student teacher the last 2 months of the year.

RiverIsis 06-05-2013 02:18 PM

Just a thought. Maybe if you do this again to include a self addressed envelope/postcard for feedback? I know it sounds a bit like fishing but if you explained that you spend quite a bit of time creating the sets but if they would rather have something else you would rather spend your time more productively. Most teachers understand time constraints.

FWIW your cards are wonderful. I tend to give the benefit of the doubt and think it is oversight by teachers because even if they can't personally use them they would be a lovely "re-gift" (ok I'm of the ilk that once I give something if someone doesn't want/like it then they can pass it on to someone who does).

Christine Miller 07-26-2013 07:04 PM

Your cards are wonderful, and I would have loved to receive them from a student. I am so sorry that you did not receive written thanks. I've taught for twenty-five years and make it a point to write a note for each gift. I've observed that my co-workers are faithful to do this, as well. I do remember finding thank-you notes in the bottom of my son's backpack on a number of occasions, so I always hope that the notes make it home.

Many times I give students notes to express appreciation and the student will,then, thank me for the card.

Although I make cards, I've never taken the time to make Christmas cards. In addition to mailing cards, I always give one to each of my students. There are always left-overs. I use those to write thank-you notes for Christmas gifts from students.

Ldumont999 08-01-2013 05:44 AM

As an avid card maker and sender, the daughter and d-i-l of teachers, the m-i-l of two teachers AND the author of two books (obviously I like to write) I feel led to add my few cents here.

1) Young people today generally do not send cards and letters. I've observed that they DO seem to appreciate receiving cards and letters even more than the previous generation - but they really don't know enough to repsond.

2) I will continue to send them (and anyone who needs a word of encouragement) cards and letters because it is my way of lifting up a generally down trodden world.

3) The problem with our our generation is that we give expecting to receive something back. That is not what we should be doing. Someone in a previous post mentioned setting an example. Sending small or encouraging gifts and notes should be done simply because WE want to encourage or help someone else.

4) Should others send thank you notes? Of course they should - but because they don't know better, we should NOT stop us from doing what is right. Maybe just a gentle nudge (Wondering if you received my gift?) will let them know that you would like an acknowledgement of receipt (not necessarily a gushing thank you). Certainly if you send money in the mail the person should at least send something back (even an email or a text) saying they received it.

5) Our generation wrote letters. The next generation writes texts, tweets, FB posts, etc (btw - even emails are old hat now). So long as they keep in touch with me - I don't care what they use to do it. Maybe that's why my sons, dil's and so many of my neices, nephews keep in touch with me so often when others "never hear from them".

5) Lastly - I have a friend that every time I send her a card, she feels she must send me a card back thanking me for the card. Then I feel like I should thank her for the thank you. Where does that stop. I always tell people that I do what I do (sending cards for no reason) just to lift their day and encourage them. I expect nothing in return. That way there are never any hard feelings.

OK... so I've added my thoughts to the pot. Not all of us will agree, but I'm very appreciative that this forum exists and that we can share our thoughts.

KarenBeavers 09-14-2013 09:08 PM

I would love a set of cards. As a high school teacher even.