Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-25-2011, 07:29 AM   #1
Die Cut Diva

Default New preschool teacher, that's me!

Wow, I just saw this SCS forum.

A long time ago I taught first and second grade. I was able to stay home when my children were born. Now they are in middle school and high school so I'm excited to get back to the classroom.

I had wanted to be a preschool teacher orginally, but I was single when I started teaching and you just can't live on that salary. So this is truly a dream come true. I'll be teaching pre K, 5 days, 3 hours.

So, I'm looking for advice and especially a good book that tells about childhood development and specific things that you can do to help them. For example I've heard picking up small things like beads helps with holding pencils. But I want to know what else I need to know.

Are there any great websites?

I do have a great group of ladies to work with. I subbed there last year so I know them all and I'm guessing I'll have all the help I need.

thanks in advance.

Last edited by purplewinkle; 07-31-2011 at 03:37 PM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 06-25-2011, 09:52 AM   #2
Embossing Fanatic

Try Littlegiraffes.com. They have some great ideas and lesson plans. Have fun. Pre-K is a great age. They are little sponges that soak up everything.

Pat
Old 06-30-2011, 07:12 AM   #3
Polyshrink Goddess

Preschool is a blast. I teach at a Christian preschool 4 days a week during the school year. I'm in a 2's class, 3-4's class and a 4-5's class. For great music for all preschool ages (and kindergarten too) I recommend Dr. Jean - Songs and Activities for Young Children . She is wonderful.

Get some favorite songs, fingerplays and action rhymes memorized to use when you need a time filler. You always need to be prepared with these, cuz you just never know when you'll need them. My favorites are 5 little monkey jumping on the bed and 5 little monkeys swinging in a tree....I can change the number depending on how many minutes I need to fill.

Also, a good time saving tip I have is to plan your whole year during the summer. Our teachers meet 2 or so times during the summer to plan our year out. 1st meeting is to decide on themes and who-does-what-when....the next meeting or two are filling in what is planned. After the 1st meeting we take a few weeks to make our plans...this means plugging in our stories and art projects for the days. Then we meet up again for the next meeting time and hash out who gets what stories and projects. If we have chosen the same stuff, we help figure out a plan for eveyone. This may take one meeting or two, depends on how chatty we are feeling :0).

Good luck, you will love it!!

Last edited by rockfestqueen; 06-30-2011 at 07:13 AM.. Reason: just needed to :0)
Old 06-30-2011, 02:34 PM   #4
Chat Box Chicks Good Girl

Send a message via AIM to tamijo

I teach pre-K in the public school. What curriculum are you using?
Old 06-30-2011, 03:21 PM   #5
Die Cut Diva

This is a Christian preschool . We use Abekka, which I think is a bit dry, but the structure is very good. We allow ourselves time to do some fun things as well.

For me, this is a good fit, because I'm creative enough that I can make things interesting, but I have to borrow structure from someone else.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:32 PM   #6
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfestqueen View Post
Preschool is a blast. I teach at a Christian preschool 4 days a week during the school year. I'm in a 2's class, 3-4's class and a 4-5's class. For great music for all preschool ages (and kindergarten too) I recommend Dr. Jean - Songs and Activities for Young Children . She is wonderful.

Get some favorite songs, fingerplays and action rhymes memorized to use when you need a time filler. You always need to be prepared with these, cuz you just never know when you'll need them. My favorites are 5 little monkey jumping on the bed and 5 little monkeys swinging in a tree....I can change the number depending on how many minutes I need to fill.

Also, a good time saving tip I have is to plan your whole year during the summer. Our teachers meet 2 or so times during the summer to plan our year out. 1st meeting is to decide on themes and who-does-what-when....the next meeting or two are filling in what is planned. After the 1st meeting we take a few weeks to make our plans...this means plugging in our stories and art projects for the days. Then we meet up again for the next meeting time and hash out who gets what stories and projects. If we have chosen the same stuff, we help figure out a plan for eveyone. This may take one meeting or two, depends on how chatty we are feeling :0).

Good luck, you will love it!!
Thanks Kaye, we do meet to plan, but I think just once during the summer then mini meetings all year. I know the ladies in my grade level and they are awesome, they will be tons of help.

I've heard some of those Dr. Jean songs, love them all except Tooty ta. There are some great ideas on that site, I've bookmarked it. thanks
Old 07-01-2011, 08:03 AM   #7
Polyshrink Goddess

LOL on Tooty Ta...I sing it to my kids at home just to make them crazy.

Last edited by rockfestqueen; 07-01-2011 at 08:04 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 07-10-2011, 05:28 PM   #8
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via AIM to jeannie barron Send a message via Skype™ to jeannie barron

You are going to love preschool, I know I did. As far as holding a pencil, grab it by the tip, flip and tuck. That is how I would teach. If the cir. is dry, us alot to music to make up for it. Have fun!
Old 07-10-2011, 05:44 PM   #9
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannie barron View Post
You are going to love preschool, I know I did. As far as holding a pencil, grab it by the tip, flip and tuck. That is how I would teach. If the cir. is dry, us alot to music to make up for it. Have fun!

Oh, I've never heard that about the pencil. Love it! Thanks
Old 07-18-2011, 12:09 PM   #10
Mad Swapper

Congratulations, Rainy!! It sounds like the perfect job for you! I need to try the pencil trick with my special needs students! I know I have a lot of great sites bookmarked at school. I'll send you a list as soon as I go back. Debbie

Last edited by angelanne21; 07-18-2011 at 12:12 PM..
Old 07-18-2011, 02:26 PM   #11
Die Cut Diva

Thanks!
Old 09-16-2011, 12:23 AM   #12
Die Cut Diva

Yes, Little Giraffes is a wonderful website. Also pre-kinders. When I taught kindergarten I just googled by theme and found tons of sites.
When I taught pre-k I got hooked on creating flannel board stories. I mainly liked the ones I colored, laminated and cut out. I have around 300! I always felt the flannel board was the preschool teachers chalkboard. I found kids are spellbound by flannel board stories, rhyme activities, math counting, adding or subtracting poems, etc. They love to have a piece of the poem and bring it up when their piece is mentioned.
My main advice is to give the children plenty of free choice time (play time) and hands-on activities, music, visuals for lessons/circle time, a good mix of active and quiet activities - not much seat work. I always had a math shelf with games I made. Sorting, sequencing, matching, dice games, etc. I would buy the flat, character erasers at Dollar tree (two sets each) so the kids could sequence them. I had the math self available after snack time in pre-k and after our math worksheet/lesson in kindergarten. I could go on and on and on. Also go to some early childhood conferences!!!! Also, when you work on writing names require upper case first letter and lower case for the rest. So many parents teach all upper case and it's a HARD habit to break by kindergarten. When I taught kindergarten I had to very gently break it to the children who did this that they needed to write their name with the upper/lower combo.

Last edited by Allistamps123; 04-29-2013 at 07:09 PM..