Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 04:59 AM   #1
Die Cut Diva

Default Graphinig/Chart Question for Science Project

Hello!

Well it's that time of year again when my house turns into Science Central! Thankfully, this is the last year for science projects. Four years in a row is just too much for me. LOL

Anyway, my ds is interested in doing his science project on how to best clean oil from a birds feathers. With the devastating oil spills that we had not too long ago, it is something that has peaked his interest. Even though it's not a difficult science project to carry out, I do think that the results will be very educational for him. Last year he did his science project on the effects of driving while talking on a cell phone. He received first place at his school and received 5th place at Regionals.

Anyway, we are thinking of using different types of cleaning agents (water, water and dish soap, water and body soap, vinegar, etc...) and also different types of tools (washrag, toothbrush, cottenballs, etc...)to clean with. Here is where I am stumped. How would he graph this information? I'm sure there are a bunch of different ways, but I just can't wrap my head around it. He must include a graph that shows his results. Does anyone have any ideas on how he could go about this.

He must include

Question
Hypothesis
Materials
Procedure
Data (This is where the graph comes in)
Conclusion

He also must write a report including all of his research and results.

We are fine on all of the above except for that darn graph.

Any ideas?

TIA

Heather

Last edited by stampforariethan; 01-05-2012 at 05:12 AM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-05-2012, 05:07 AM   #2
Die Cut Diva

This is all I can come up with so far, but it seems far too simple...

Worked well Worked so-so Did not
work

Toothbrush/water X

Toothbrush/Water and dish soap X

Toothbrush/Wather and body soap X

Toothbrush/Vinegar X

Toothbrush/ Laundry detergent X

Washrag/water

Washrag/water and dish soap

And so on and so on....

We do not have results yet because he hasn't tested anything, but would this be considered a chart? Do you have anysuggestions as to what to put as the results other than worked well, worked so so, did not work?

Thank you!
Old 01-05-2012, 05:09 AM   #3
Die Cut Diva

Okay, the margins didn't stay the way I had them. I had three columns and had put x's under the columns for the result witht that item.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:36 AM   #4
Swapper of the Month - July 2013

Hi there, he might want to add into his question, does "Dove" clean bird feathers the best. I believe it was this soap company that was claiming it was the one used to clean the birds? Also go to Create a Graph website for kid friendly graphing ideas. Hope this helps.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:56 PM   #5
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiejen View Post
Hi there, he might want to add into his question, does "Dove" clean bird feathers the best. I believe it was this soap company that was claiming it was the one used to clean the birds? Also go to Create a Graph website for kid friendly graphing ideas. Hope this helps.

I think it's Dawn dishwashing liquid, but Dove would be a GREAT body soap to try. It's supposed to be gentle to the skin or something like that! LOL Great suggestion. I'm just having trouble figuring out WHAT to graph! I'm not sure what information to use. Does the information that I suggested earlier sound like it would work?
Old 01-05-2012, 04:43 PM   #6

Yes it does, I'm trying to remember the graphing rules with the title, info for the side bars etc.
You are right I think it was Dawn. Rule number one of all science projects is a scientific question and an attempt to answer it. If he is using one control, eg. toothbrush and it's effectiveness against the possible solutions then I would graph those results. Then I would switch my control to "sponge" and test the solutions. etc. Some of your questions could be, time it took, ease of removal, amount of solution
You have listed a few control groups along with a few solutions you want to try. I would try each control and combination of liquids and see if you end up with a favorite. You would end up with different graphs that you could then put into one.
Does this make sense?
Old 01-05-2012, 04:44 PM   #7

Going back and reading your post I see you have already separated the control and solution, oops missed that. So then I would just combine all of my graphs at the end into one, but display them all.
Good luck
Old 01-06-2012, 06:08 AM   #8
Die Cut Diva

Awesome! Now we just have to figure out where to get real bird feathers! LOL I'm going to run to a pet store tonight after work and see what I might be able to get. I'm sure that the birds lose feathers all the time. I will totally pay them for them if they would be willing to get me about 15 of them. I'm thinking Toothbrush x 5 cleaning agents, Sponge x 5 cleaning agents, and rag or cotten pad x 5 cleaning agents. If they could get me 20, that would be awesome!

And so it begins!

Thank you for all of your suggestions and help! Ethan is really excited about this project. I'm excited that he is excited! LOL

Thanks!
Old 01-09-2012, 05:42 PM   #9
Her Royal Awesomeness of Shiner Bock PTA Pirate Land

Our district would make you repeat each test at least 3 times. - so do you need 60 feathers????

2013 Scrapping Goal 48 pages
To date 20 completed!

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Old 01-10-2012, 03:16 AM   #10
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmscoping View Post
Our district would make you repeat each test at least 3 times. - so do you need 60 feathers????
I was thinking about that! I'm wondering if we should just go with two tools (toothbrush and a sponge) and then use three cleaning agents (Dawn dishsoap, Dove bodywash, and vinegar) We could keep track of the time it takes each time we clean the feather and also keep track of the final result in comparison with a completely new feather. If we lower the amount of tools and cleaning agents, we would only need 18 feathers if we wanted to do each test three times. Ugh! I was still thinking that maybe if we use a constant as being the amount of time we take to clean each feather then we can see which one cleans better in that time frame. Maybe set a timer and see how clean he can get each feather in 3 minutes. I think that this would be a really informative project for him, but I'm just not sure how to go about it.