Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-27-2013, 10:07 AM   #161
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via AIM to lori92760

just in general what the shops expect of designers: layouts per week/per month, etc.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 03-27-2013, 10:42 AM   #162
Polyshrink Goddess

it varies, and they should have told you what they require in their call advert, if they haven't it's definitely bad practice.

The store I work for requires a minimum of 2 layouts per kit (that is standard everywhere) and a minimum of 2 kits a month (I've known of some where it's 4-6 kits a month). And one project or inspiration post for the blog (not all stores ask for that).

Stores can require you to post at 3-5 galleries (again varies), some leave it up to you to choose others specify some or all of them.

Some places require you to make a quickpage that is given out as a freebie to fans and followers. Some require social marketing some don't, Some require hybrid projects as well as layouts, some only want layouts.

If I was applying for a CT position anywhere I'd give them the information they are asking for and then ask the following questions. (The last time I made an application the designer thanked me for the most thorough application she's ever had, my style didn't fit though).
* How many kits do I need to work with each month?
* How many layouts are required?
* How much lead time is there between receiving a kit and needing to provide the layouts
* Are there any specific galleries I need to post at, or can I choose, and how many?
* Am I required to post in a store based forum?
* Is there anything else you would need me to do?
Old 03-27-2013, 10:47 AM   #163
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

I was on a creative team several years ago. We were given one or two free kits and had to design something like 3 or 4 layouts a month and post each layout to 3 or 4 popular galleries. But I know each shop is a little different.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:48 AM   #164

Angela must have been posting at the same time I was. Her response is so complete!
Old 03-27-2013, 03:02 PM   #165
Insane Embellisher

ok, is it me or does that seem like a huge amount of time for one or two free kits? I want to be one of those people who gets paid for what they love to do. the florist, the photographer, the event planner, the graphic artist. people tell me at least once a week "lori, you are wasting your talents" I feel so dissatisfied with my job, I know my talent is not in managing a hydraulic and pneumatic cylinder manufacturing company. my daughter makes as much money in an evening waiting tables as I do all week. if I wasn't so old and didn't look like ten pounds of potatoes stuffed in a five pound bag, i'd be a stripper. well all that coupled with the fact I cant dance. I cant say this is empty nest because my little nest is bursting at the seams. will one of you kind ladies, figure out my life? thanks.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:54 PM   #166

Quote:
Originally Posted by lori92760 View Post
ok, is it me or does that seem like a huge amount of time for one or two free kits? I want to be one of those people who gets paid for what they love to do. the florist, the photographer, the event planner, the graphic artist. people tell me at least once a week "lori, you are wasting your talents" I feel so dissatisfied with my job, I know my talent is not in managing a hydraulic and pneumatic cylinder manufacturing company. my daughter makes as much money in an evening waiting tables as I do all week. if I wasn't so old and didn't look like ten pounds of potatoes stuffed in a five pound bag, i'd be a stripper. well all that coupled with the fact I cant dance. I cant say this is empty nest because my little nest is bursting at the seams. will one of you kind ladies, figure out my life? thanks.
It's not just you, Lori. Why do you think I used to be on a creative team? I'm sure you are wasting your talents, but it's so hard to break into a new field, especially as a second career, and so often people don't make close to the money they deserve on creative projects. I like the stripper idea. Maybe you can photoshop out some of the potatoes?? Oh yeah, I forgot, you can't dance. Oh well, I guess you'll just have to continue to hang around with us other frustrated creative types! I like having you around---you make me laugh and I love your work!
Old 03-27-2013, 06:44 PM   #167
Insane Embellisher

ok, I take back event planner. I have been working with my daughter since sunday on this wedding and I think I may strangle her. she has adhd and while it has served her well, getting thru grad school, she can do a million things at once, but picking out a dress, or colors, burlap or paper flowers, purple, no yellow, those flowers are nice, but could you change everything about them? I want a puffy dress, no a elegant dress, no a short dress. white cake, no chocolate. I had a cocktail at three this afternoon. I will need rehab by October!

so how come it is that they don't pay designers something? I am not on any social media, that seems to be something they look for. I think I just better do my thing and get this wedding done.

thank god for scs. at least I don't have to explain digital scrapbooking to you guys!
Old 03-28-2013, 01:11 AM   #168
Polyshrink Goddess

I used to be a kit designer. It takes nearly 100 hours to create a full sized original and unique kit collection ...

Last edited by Toucan Scraps; 03-28-2013 at 01:17 AM..
Old 03-28-2013, 01:15 AM   #169
Polyshrink Goddess

Most people CT because they love the art and would buy those kits anyway and then use them at least that much.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:04 AM   #170

Ah, Lori, you've provided my CFTD (chuckle for the day)! lol My DIL drove me crazy when she just wanted me to help her find a font to do her invitations. I spent hours trying to find the exact one (but it had to be free) and when I did, she decided to do something else. I designed a really cool invitation with layers and she just went to a planner and never even said thanks. I was glad she decided to go to a planner so I was off the hook. So, at least today we're still speaking!!
Old 03-28-2013, 09:10 AM   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toucan Scraps View Post
Most people CT because they love the art and would buy those kits anyway and then use them at least that much.
That's why I did it. Heck, these days I still spend all that time creating pages and I BUY the kits! But I didn't like the pressure of deadlines and posting to all the galleries.

I used to be a kit designer. It takes nearly 100 hours to create a full sized original and unique kit collection ...

I'm not surprised! Did you make any money doing that?
Old 04-02-2013, 08:12 AM   #172
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendella247 View Post

I'm not surprised! Did you make any money doing that?
not much, which is one of the reasons I quit.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:13 AM   #173
Polyshrink Goddess

It's World Autism Awareness Day today
Autism and Me by Toucan Scraps - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Old 04-02-2013, 09:05 AM   #174
Insane Embellisher

angela,

what did you use to design kits. i have no idea where to start. our local college acts like i am talking chinese when i ask about doing this kind of design. even if i dont use the skills for scrapbook, i could for someother kind of graphic design. for instance, a grungy bubble wrap stamp. where to start? i know i sound so ignorant. i would just like to know where to start just to try it. maybe its not my deal. but maybe it might be better than figuring out whether this person needs oversized ports on their cylinder or not!
Old 04-02-2013, 09:31 AM   #175
Insane Embellisher

if i make any less money my husband will croak. i really need to find a part time job in addition to this part time job. but he's a full time mess maker, so not sure how i will do it all.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:25 PM   #176

Quote:
angela,

what did you use to design kits. i have no idea where to start. our local college acts like i am talking chinese when i ask about doing this kind of design. even if i dont use the skills for scrapbook, i could for someother kind of graphic design. for instance, a grungy bubble wrap stamp. where to start? i know i sound so ignorant. i would just like to know where to start just to try it. maybe its not my deal. but maybe it might be better than figuring out whether this person needs oversized ports on their cylinder or not!
Some of the scrap sites have classes for digi designing. I'd check Designer Digitals, Sweet Shoppe Designs, 3 Peas, Scrapbook Graphics, to name a few.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:35 PM   #177
Stazon Splitcoast

oK....i AM HERE....I think....well...maybe...do we have a challenge up for April?

Fall in the Forest

Move More Eat Well JumpStart
Proud Fan Club Member
Old 04-02-2013, 04:06 PM   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMcrafter View Post
oK....i AM HERE....I think....well...maybe...do we have a challenge up for April?
I was just thinking about you this very morning! Did you get moved and settled in yet?

Yes, there is a Progressive Task 1 here:

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/fo...a-t555306.html

and Variety Digi Challenge here:

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/fo...a-t571043.html
Old 04-03-2013, 01:11 AM   #179
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
angela,

what did you use to design kits. i have no idea where to start. our local college acts like i am talking chinese when i ask about doing this kind of design. even if i dont use the skills for scrapbook, i could for some other kind of graphic design. for instance, a grungy bubble wrap stamp. where to start? i know i sound so ignorant. i would just like to know where to start just to try it. maybe its not my deal. but maybe it might be better than figuring out whether this person needs oversized ports on their cylinder or not!
You need a good graphics program. i use the Serif Suite (the whole lot together is less than the cost of Photoshop CS which other artists use) The suite includes a drawing package (for vector graphics - I use this for illustrations like digi stamps and stickers and also for the geometry work on making printables templates. I have a desktop publisher with it too. A photo editing package that works like Photoshop, and my scrapbooking software. I use all of them together and independently as they have different features.

One of the designers at our store is a photographer and she does a lot of extractions of her photos and manipulates photos for textures.

Our most successful designers do real art and then scan it in and manipulate it in Photoshop CS.

BEFORE you even contemplate becoming a kit designer you need to know:
* it's a full time job (not part time)
* you might not get paid. (some kits sell, others don't) I made between $0 and $20 a week. The top artists can get about $300+ a month. But their work is 100% original - no use of CU items or actions at all - they do everything from scratch. They produce new collections weekly and have a mentor style relationship with their customers. - that's a lot of hard work.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:47 AM   #180
Insane Embellisher

you guys are gonna think i am as thick as a stump, but truly this stuff amazes me. i have no doubt it takes so so much time. but i am looking back at my gallery and think so every silk flower is hand drawn out? every button? gliiter? ribbon? it seems a bit like reinventing the wheel and i am realizing that i am talentless. ugh. sad sad day. i'm sitting in this grimy space with machines running all around me, with a throat infection i've had for a week (cant miss work, dont get paid),other health issues that i am too young and quite frankly too healthy for, my son totalled his car on friday, i have a crazy marriage, oh yeah and we are planning a diy wedding and this is as good as it gets. i want to be an artist and i sometimes feel like i am just rearranging someone elses hard work. i just keep repeating "i will rejoice, i will rejoice" i keep thinking if i had a job that was fullfilling and not simply convenient, maybe the rest of my life wouldnt seem so crazy. ok, i am thru venting. you guys just lucked out. i feel like i need to be an example of christ's love and peace and flowers and sunshine and a positive outlook that never quits around my work, they need it. I WILL REJOICE!
Old 04-03-2013, 10:30 AM   #181

Sometimes life hands us lemons, huh? When I get to feeling the way you seem to be, Lori, I try to remember to be grateful. Right after reading your post, I went to the April Goals Thread and read this post from a gal who used to be a "regular" and now pops in on occasion. After reading her post, I AM grateful!

April 2013 Scrap Pages & Chatter - sbc13apr
Old 04-12-2013, 09:20 AM   #182
Polyshrink Goddess

I've been kicked off the laptop today by my scrapbooking apprentices

TJ - aged 9 CTs for Meredith Cardall. She did a project for Meredith's blog. I'll link up when it's posted.

Roo - aged 7 with asd is still finding his way around the software. But he managed these all by himself - he's so proud. Next time we'll try some photos.

And the youngest, Tisha aged 4 completed her first nearly solo scrapbooking page.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:32 PM   #183

It's wonderful your kids are starting off so young, Angela! Memory keepers in progress! Please tell them for me that their pages are awesome!
Old 04-12-2013, 10:14 PM   #184
Stazon Splitcoast

55% off store closing

Scrapbookgraphics.com :: Studio Girls :: MissVivi

Fall in the Forest

Proud Fan Club Member
Old 04-13-2013, 01:16 AM   #185
Stazon Splitcoast

digi-riffic

Quotations and Word Art for Scrapbooking New Beginnings - Scrapbooking ideas & free tutorials at Get It Scrapped

Fall in the Forest

Proud Fan Club Member
Old 04-13-2013, 03:52 AM   #186
Polyshrink Goddess

My EDH is nearly full so I'm having to cull my collection. I've not used 1/2 of it in years yet for some unknown reason I am feeling very sad doing this .. sob ... sob .. sob
Old 04-13-2013, 05:22 AM   #187
Stazon Splitcoast

I don't know what an EDH is...but can you not off load them to dvd or a thumb drive?

Fall in the Forest

Proud Fan Club Member
Old 04-13-2013, 05:40 AM   #188
Polyshrink Goddess

EDH = External Hard Drive, and it has over 200 Gigabytes of kits on it.

I've just finished deleting 8 Gigs so it's not complaining the disk is full anymore. But still need to clear more or I'll refill it within 2 months.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:54 AM   #189

Quote:
EDH = External Hard Drive, and it has over 200 Gigabytes of kits on it.

I've just finished deleting 8 Gigs so it's not complaining the disk is full anymore. But still need to clear more or I'll refill it within 2 months.
I'm afraid if that was my predicament, I'd just buy another EHD! I have tons of stuff and refuse to part with any of it!
Old 04-13-2013, 08:40 AM   #190
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh EHD...I have one of those...is anyone using the "cloud' for storage?

Fall in the Forest

Proud Fan Club Member
Old 04-13-2013, 08:49 AM   #191
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
I'm afraid if that was my predicament, I'd just buy another EHD! I have tons of stuff and refuse to part with any of it!
That's what happened last time, but hubby has said no to another drive this time.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:09 AM   #192

Quote:
That's what happened last time, but hubby has said no to another drive this time.
Aww, too bad, Angela.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:14 AM   #193

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMcrafter View Post
Oh EHD...I have one of those...is anyone using the "cloud' for storage?
I have EHD for home back-up and I have an account with Just Cloud. I signed up for 2 years and we'll see after that. It took forever to upload everything initially, but subsequent back-ups aren't too bad. I wanted to have something outside my home for back-up so if anything ever happened to everything at home I'd still have all my photos and scrap pages in original format. But, I don't use it for my digi supplies.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:00 AM   #194

I am SO excited! I just ordered a new Dell computer and it should arrive in about a week! I customized it, so it has everything I wanted, and I'm so anxious to start using it for my scrapping! The one I have now has slowed down so much that it's frustrating to use and I've been losing my digscrappin' mojo. Soon, I hope to be back at it with renewed enthusiasm!! Yay!!!
basketballmom likes this post.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:16 AM   #195
Polyshrink Goddess

great news Wendy, I hope your new computer is everything you hope for.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:25 PM   #196

Thanks, Angela! I hope so too. I was thinking about buying a laptop, but decided to stick with a desktop. I did a lot of research before I bought one to be sure I got what would be best for digiscrapping. I'm so looking forward to speedy scrapping!
Old 04-23-2013, 03:05 PM   #197
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
I am SO excited! I just ordered a new Dell computer and it should arrive in about a week! I customized it, so it has everything I wanted, and I'm so anxious to start using it for my scrapping! The one I have now has slowed down so much that it's frustrating to use and I've been losing my digscrappin' mojo. Soon, I hope to be back at it with renewed enthusiasm!! Yay!!!
so so so how much storage??? what type of graphics!!! don't keep me in suspenders

Fall in the Forest

Proud Fan Club Member
Old 04-23-2013, 10:50 PM   #198

It's a beauty! 1 TB 7200 RPM hard drive, Nvidia graphics card with turbobooster, the latest processor (Core i7), 12 GB RAM (yes!), several USB 3 and 2 ports. I got a gift card as part of the purchase that I have to use in 90 days, so I think I'll apply that for a second hard drive. I already have a nice monitor, so I didn't order that. I got it with Windows 7 instead of 8 since I've heard a lot of gripes about 8. I can't wait until it arrives! I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas!
Old 04-24-2013, 07:37 AM   #199
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh Oh you should have an unveiling party!!!!!!!!!

Fall in the Forest

Proud Fan Club Member
Old 04-24-2013, 09:03 AM   #200

You're too funny, FMcrafter! I'm having a "preparation party" right now--cleaning up the area where I'm going to put my old computer until I transfer everything over to the new one and get used to Windows 7 from XP. I know I'll enjoy being able to go back to good ol' Bessie when I get too stressed working with the new Windows! I'm also going to start with a new version of Elements. Right now I use 9.