Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2009, 12:52 PM   #41
Polyshrink Goddess

Arrrgh! I have Elements five, thinking about 6 but havn't mastered this one by a long shot. It takes so much time to sit and learn it. I have loads of downloads which I print and scrap but my major problem is coloring brushes to import to the page. I have followed several tutorials but havn't had time to really master this. I have scrapbook Maxi which will import downloads but you have to go to the hard drive, find the program and manually enter them.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-05-2009, 06:14 AM   #42
Glitter Queen

Have you tried the Jewel 4th of July 3.95 download? or the Heritage Power Palette mixed with the 4th of July. Do you know that you can change the shading of any paper to match other things so if you like the page design and the layout, but not the color? Hope this helps
Old 01-05-2009, 07:16 AM   #43
Polyshrink Goddess

Question download

What is the url of this download? the same one I visited? I work the rest of the week so won't be blogging too much
Old 01-07-2009, 05:59 AM   #44
Cardstock Collector

Default The most recommended program for a newbie?

hello friends. i am just getting my feet wet, and after readiing all of your posts, i'm guessing the photoshop programs are the most popular? if i buy this program will it allow me to download paper and embellishment designs? will it allow me to download fonts? i am so confused at where to start!! i want to be able to purchase some of the cool things i see online and use them in my program at my leisure......
Old 01-07-2009, 01:25 PM   #45
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spesina View Post
hello friends. i am just getting my feet wet, and after readiing all of your posts, i'm guessing the photoshop programs are the most popular? if i buy this program will it allow me to download paper and embellishment designs? will it allow me to download fonts? i am so confused at where to start!! i want to be able to purchase some of the cool things i see online and use them in my program at my leisure......
You can download the digital papers, embellishments, etc into your computer then open them with photoshop. I save everything in a Passport external drive to save space on my computer. I've organized it into folders like paper, ribbon, frames, etc.

I'm not very good at downloading fonts, so maybe someone else can answer that for you?

I love Photoshop. There is a huge learning curve though. One of the best things I did was to take an online class at jessicasprague.com. I already knew a little photoshop with photo editing, so I took the intermediate class. If you are just starting out, I would suggest the beginner class. Well worth the money with the amount of time you will save in the long run. Also, with the class I took, Jessica gave links to downloads of paper, and other stuff that I have used in lots of other projects.

When I do a layout, I always save it as a psd file (photoshop file) and a jpeg file. Most places can't print jpeg files so I use it for printing. There are 2 places I use for printing: Costco and scrapbookpictures.com. Both offer great prints at reasonable prices.

I hope this helps some. You will have more questions as you start playing, so ask away.

Helen
Old 01-08-2009, 03:52 AM   #46
Inking Addict

I completely agree with taking the classes (starting with the beginner class) at jessicasprague.com. You will seriously wonder how you got by without them.

I'd suggest starting with Photoshop Elements (version 7 on PC and version 6 on Mac are the most recent). There are a few things you cannot do in Elements that you can do in Photoshop, but with templates and some workarounds, it isn't a big deal. (That said, I have upgraded to full Photoshop, but after several years b/c it's so expensive.)

You don't need one of these programs to download fonts. Any font you download (and install!) will work in your word processing software.

You gets lots of freebies in Jessica's classes and all the supplies for each class are included in the price. All the info is available to you FOREVER. I check little things all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natlhol View Post
You can download the digital papers, embellishments, etc into your computer then open them with photoshop. I save everything in a Passport external drive to save space on my computer. I've organized it into folders like paper, ribbon, frames, etc.

I'm not very good at downloading fonts, so maybe someone else can answer that for you?

I love Photoshop. There is a huge learning curve though. One of the best things I did was to take an online class at jessicasprague.com. I already knew a little photoshop with photo editing, so I took the intermediate class. If you are just starting out, I would suggest the beginner class. Well worth the money with the amount of time you will save in the long run. Also, with the class I took, Jessica gave links to downloads of paper, and other stuff that I have used in lots of other projects.

When I do a layout, I always save it as a psd file (photoshop file) and a jpeg file. Most places can't print jpeg files so I use it for printing. There are 2 places I use for printing: Costco and scrapbookpictures.com. Both offer great prints at reasonable prices.

I hope this helps some. You will have more questions as you start playing, so ask away.

Helen
Old 01-08-2009, 06:13 AM   #47
Crimping Master

Spesina, not trying to be rude but if you're relating the ability to download fonts and digital items to Photoshop you might want to step down a notch and consider using something like Photoshop Elements instead of the full blown Photoshop. It's a few hundred dollars different and there is quite a HUGE learning curve.

To download fonts or kits (elements, paper, etc.) you do not need a special software. You just need a computer and high speed Internet. I say high speed because these files are large. You need to learn where to install your fonts (you have a Win/Mac?) and how to unzip compressed folders.

Once you have the above basics, you then need to have a software, like Photoshop Elements, Photoshop, Gimp, etc. to open those files and start digital scrapbooking.

Although Photoshop is nice and I live on it, it is not something you can master in one day. I use it a lot and there are still things I find each time I use it.

If you visit my blog you can find some tutorials. Maybe they might help.

Happily designing for WPlus9 and CSS stamps, Waltzingmouse sketch, Scarlet Lime kit club, and the Digichick Card Caravan
Old 01-12-2009, 04:20 PM   #48
Kookie Creator

Hi all;

I've been recently checking out all there is out there for digital scrapbooking. I am currently a traditional scrapbooker, but would love to try digital due to space limitations and being able to travel with my scrapbook stuff ie. only my laptop on longer trips...

I'm trying to decide... I've seen alot of posts about the different software available and would like everyone's opinion on this: Should I buy the tutorial for Photoshop Elements and learn that or but the CM programs for scrapbooking? I realize there will be a learning curve, but I want to be sure I'll be happy with my choices and the outcome of the pages...

Please let me know your thoughts... Thanks in advance for responding
Old 01-13-2009, 07:04 AM   #49
Crimping Master

I don't like limitations so between the two PSE would be a better option. You can do more with it. Download a trial version of PSE from the adobe site. It's 30-days free.

Happily designing for WPlus9 and CSS stamps, Waltzingmouse sketch, Scarlet Lime kit club, and the Digichick Card Caravan
Old 01-13-2009, 07:11 AM   #50
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Stampin' Up! will be offering digital scrapbooking sometime later this year. If you have a local demo maybe she (or he) will be able to show this to you at a workshop to try it out!
Old 01-14-2009, 01:47 PM   #51
Polyshrink Goddess

Default pse and stampin up

I'll be interested to see what Stampin Up does with this. I am learning Elements and it does take a lot of time and attention which I don't have piles of right now. I also have Paint Shop Pro which is a little easier but not much. It just takes time to learn all this stuff.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:27 PM   #52

They do take time to learn. I'm hoping this program will be fairly intuitive!
Old 01-14-2009, 02:46 PM   #53
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDragonLady View Post
They do take time to learn. I'm hoping this program will be fairly intuitive!
Although I believe Adobe Photoshop CSE is probably the king of digi--I'm not ready for it either costwise of skillwise, but I personally am focusing on learning Adobe Elements, because I think Adobe is more of the standard than the other programs. I believe that if I learn Elements well, I'll be able to work on pretty much any program and even graduate to Photoshop someday if I want. I guess I always like the most options both in the areas of hobby or career. I'm determined to get good at Elements!
Old 01-14-2009, 02:59 PM   #54

I have Photoshop CS (my brother is a programmer at Adobe and got it for me as a gift). I can use it, but not really well.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:36 PM   #55
Matboard Maniac

I'm new to SCS, but not to digital scrapping - I never did paper scrap lol! I've been scrapping for around 5 years and I use Photoshop CS2. I did start with Elements many years ago and it's a great program. I hope to start doing some of the challenges here soon!
Old 01-15-2009, 01:50 PM   #56
Polyshrink Goddess

There are some courses for recertification at my school system and some of them are Adobe. I may do that next year as they are free and I could sure use some help with elements. Two books I have which are helpful are Paper Pixels which comes with a cd full of supplies andDigi Scrapping 101 by Amanda Dykan and it was helpful. I only worked through the first couple of lessons so far. Having done graphics for school work on the Mac I find these programs are so much more complicated and not too intuitive. There are so many layers of tools.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:51 PM   #57
Polyshrink Goddess

to Yvette. Cardstock collector cracks me up. My grandaughter lives with me and says, " Don't you have enough cardstock yet? " Never!!!!
Old 01-15-2009, 03:09 PM   #58
Glitter Guru

I worked throught he Digi 101 too, it just wasnt enought-what has been absolutely awesome are the Jessica Sprague classes online. I can watch the video and then play it again while I actually work through the steps. Her first one Up and Running is self paced and the next one will start next Monday and there will be a video a week!
Old 01-15-2009, 04:01 PM   #59
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboyd@shentel.net View Post
to Yvette. Cardstock collector cracks me up. My grandaughter lives with me and says, " Don't you have enough cardstock yet? " Never!!!!
LOL - have to agree with that!
Old 01-15-2009, 04:02 PM   #60
Matboard Maniac

Rather than a digiscrapping book, has anyone tried a book on Photoshop or Elements? That's how I learned and there are LOTS of on-line tuts to help too.
Old 04-17-2009, 04:40 AM   #61

If you want to try a scrapbook digi challenge, you can find them here:

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/fo...splay.php?f=42
Old 04-17-2009, 07:53 AM   #62
Polyshrink Goddess

I am really digital challenged with photoshop elements . Can do other scrapbook programs but have trouble with coloring the elements or recoloring. Got really frustrated.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:07 AM   #63
Glitter Guru

I have taken classes with Jessica Sprague and on the GoDigitalScrapbooking site with Debra-they have really helped-I still have a ton to learn but the classes are worth the cost
Old 04-17-2009, 08:34 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendella247 View Post
If you want to try a scrapbook digi challenge, you can find them here:

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/fo...splay.php?f=42
I forgot to mention--after opening that link, scroll down a little to where it says *Threads in Forum* then you should see the (DGC) challenges listed underneath.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:18 PM   #65
Kookie Creator

Subbing
Old 08-18-2009, 06:27 AM   #66
Polyshrink Goddess

Since I got laid off I maybe can find more time to work with Elements.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:55 AM   #67

For those of you who didn't know, we have a digital scrapbooking challenge forum. You can out all the challenges here:

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/fo...play.php?f=253

You can start in anytime, use any digi software you choose and do any challenges you want--no deadlines. And we hope you'll post to the appropriate thread so we can all see your wonderful creations!
Old 03-22-2010, 07:40 AM   #68
Cardstock Collector

Default the best!

thanks for the information.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:21 AM   #69

Welcome, and we hope to see some or your creations--whether it be cards, traditional or digi scrapbook pages, altered items, whatever-- in your gallery real soon!!
Old 03-25-2010, 05:42 AM   #70
Polyshrink Goddess

still haven't had time to work with elements, let alone make a scrapbook page with it.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:10 AM   #71
Polyshrink Goddess

Default digiscrapping

subbibg
Old 06-28-2010, 02:29 PM   #72
Cardstock Collector

Send a message via AIM to imsewkrazy
Smile Another Digital Scrapbooking option!

Hi! I just stumbled on this whole site and was excited to see some of the info regarding digital scrapbooking! It's SO funny to see when some of the posts in this thread went up and how much things have changed since then! I would love to HIGHLY recommend a fantastic digital scrapbooking program called, My Memories Suite - it was originally released with a Polaroid partnership so it was called "Polaroid My Memories Suite" - the affiliation with Polaroid was dropped with the release of Version 2 that went out late last year. The program is EXTREMELY fun and easy to use! It is a quick learn, and packed FULL of features! There is a great page on Facebook (still called Polaroid My Memories Suite) but there is a fun group there that is always willing to help out! It is MUCH easier to learn and enjoy than Photoshop programs and although there are some things that PS can do that MMS can't you CAN create and FINISH wonderfully personalized projects, either starting with a Designer Template or a start from scratch project. It is less than half the cost of even Photoshop Elements, so it's a great way to get your feet wet with digiscrapping! Version 2 is fully downloadable, so you can get started right away, and there is an interface to upload a completed album straight to the printing partner for great printed books. Individual pages can also be printed at any number of sites, or local places like Costco. They also recently started doing free online workshops to help you get started. Check out their website, mymemoriessuite.com or find them on Facebook under Polaroid My Memories Suite!

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!

Lisa J.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:05 PM   #73

Default Digi Challenges will return on Tues., July 13, 2010!!!

EXTRA - EXTRA - READ ALL ABOUT IT!!!!
EXCITING NEWS
FOR OUR
DIGI-SCRAPPERS!!!!

I've got such super news. We're going to have a NEW digi challenge hostess resuming the digi challenges!! Starting July 13, 2010, you'll be able to find them every Tuesday here.

Our hostess's name is Laura, known as MaggieMayLove on SCS. I'll have more info. about her to share in the next few days.

I'm so excited about this and I hope our other digi-scrappers will be too. Please pass the word!!!!!

Old 07-11-2010, 04:47 PM   #74
Inking Addict

this is great!
Old 07-11-2010, 05:00 PM   #75
Cardstock Collector

Putri, thanks for your input. My husband is an IT professional, so I have every program imaginable, available to me. I guess I didn't phrase my question correctly. I understand Photoshop is a bear to learn, I've been trying to teach myself slowly through tutorials. I would never recommend, to anyone, buying this program to learn on as a beginner. Not fun! I know how to access the Fonts and Brushes I have downloaded, I guess I was asking how to actually make something with them, within a (any) program, right now I have Photoshop CS4 at my fingertips. I guess I don't really even understand what a "brush" is......I may just enroll in a class this Fall to learn Photoshop, I would love to work with it's full potential.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:44 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britanya View Post
this is great!
I will add you to my list of people interested in digi-scrapping!
Old 07-12-2010, 05:40 PM   #77
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Putri, thanks for your input. My husband is an IT professional, so I have every program imaginable, available to me. I guess I didn't phrase my question correctly. I understand Photoshop is a bear to learn, I've been trying to teach myself slowly through tutorials. I would never recommend, to anyone, buying this program to learn on as a beginner. Not fun! I know how to access the Fonts and Brushes I have downloaded, I guess I was asking how to actually make something with them, within a (any) program, right now I have Photoshop CS4 at my fingertips. I guess I don't really even understand what a "brush" is......I may just enroll in a class this Fall to learn Photoshop, I would love to work with it's full potential.
Hi...a Brush is like a digital stamp. It can be resized and the color changed.

After seeing all the really cool things digi stampers did on this site, I had bought Adobe Photoshop Elements 7 for Christmas 2008. I tried to figure it out on my own since I usually am really good with software programs but learned that I couldn't even get started! Then JessicaSprague.com had a free class offered which I took and once I was able to open the program and do some basic things, I was hooked! Just that one class was all it took to finally understand things and then I wasn't afraid to play with it cause if it doesn't come out right, you can delete or start over with nothing ruined. I hope you can join us with the new digi challenges that are restarting again tomorrow. There might be lots of other scrappers that use the program you have that can help you out getting going! Good luck!
Old 07-12-2010, 05:56 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieMayLove View Post
Hi Everyone, Laura here! Wendy is helping me to get the digi scrapbook challenges going here at SCS. I am so excited. Please have a look HERE as I will be posting the new challenge shortly!

Laura
Can't wait to see your first challenge for us, Laura!!!
Old 07-14-2010, 07:38 AM   #79
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via MSN to ladylinks

I can help you with photoshop. It did take me a while to learn it and I did it through tutorials like you. After finally having mastered it, I have to say that it's by far my favorite software.

A brush is pretty much what it says. You can use brushes to add color, shapes, or to "ink edges" if you have the right brush.
There are a ton of free brush sites too. Here is one. As you can see you can use a brush to create all kinds of things. http://www.brusheezy.com/

Another thing I love are actions. Actions do all the work for you. Here is a great place to get really good actions that work well with digital scrapbooking: http://atomiccupcake.com

I seriously learned all of photoshop by wanting to do something and searching for a tutorial. My favorite tutorials are the videos. I love being able to see what I want to do before I do it. I have a bunch of links to sites with some good tutorials that I can post when I get home from work today if you're interested.

Quote:

Old 01-11-2011, 06:33 PM   #80
Matboard Maniac

Need a "MDS for Dummies" tutorial! I recently received it but haven't a clue where to start!