Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2012, 06:45 AM   #3881
Stazon Splitcoast

Going mall walking and to Sweet Tomatoes with Leona and a few meetup buddies in a few hours.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:58 AM   #3882
Directionally Challenged Parrothead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinois Marge View Post
Well, I'm not a tax expert, but...

1) For many years, I always used to use TaxAct online. Very simple to use. Not expensive.

I had the 1040 long form, Schedule B, interest, dividends, Schedule C for oil & gas partnership, Schedule A for itemized deductions/charity donations/mortgage interest, IRA cost basis form. Would work fine for you. Some people are scared of the online security, but it never bothered me. Only issue I ever had with TaxAxt was sometimes it was a pain to print.

2) Last year I switched to buying the H&R Block software (Premium Home & Business) because they package the estate forms in with the Business and Taxact did not have the estate forms at all. The H&R Block Home part (1040 etc) was extremely easy to use, maybe easier than TaxAct online). And not expensive if you don't have to buy the Business/Estate part. This would work fine for you too.

I would recommend it for you - you could probably finish up your personal federal return in less than an afternoon. You get 5 free federal e-files with it. You get one state return of your state choice, but state e-file costs $19.95 more, so I just printed it and mailed it via paper. In future years you can import the previous year's data to save time.

I think the H&R Block had a slight edge over TaxAct in terms of ease of use and the online security bit. And had no printing issues either.

ETA, this year I also had the home energy credit from the extra attic insulation and new sliding glass door that I bought. They had a form for that too
Thanks Marge! My printer's shot so I'm trying to figure out what to do. I could go up to the shop and use theirs, or I guess I could save as a .pdf and print at my friend Debbie's house. I guess with the fees I won't have to pay the accountant this year, I could buy another printer but I'm trying to postpone anything I don't have to pay till after the trip, and I don't want to wait that long to do my taxes.

I very much appreciate your perspective!

I hope the Energy credit sticks around a while longer... on the other hand I'm also hoping I don't have to replace any appliances in the near future. I'd dearly love to replace the electric stove that came with the house with a gas stove, but that's not in the budget for a while. I'd also love to upgrade the kitchen cabinets but that's not in the budget, either, LOL.

Estate tax situation must be so frustrating with the software not loading. Grrrrr.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-26-2012, 08:04 AM   #3883

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinois Marge View Post
Going mall walking and to Sweet Tomatoes with Leona and a few meetup buddies in a few hours.
Oh fun! I'm cleaning, then out to paddle for a bit and take a good stroll with the pups. Debating going to the park by the lake if it warms up a bit.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:15 AM   #3884

Ugh I'll be glad to finish this antibiotic. It makes me want to sleep ALL the time.

Which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing if I didn't have so much to do.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:56 AM   #3885
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Band Mom

Hi all. It's a sunshine-filled day here, but the wind is chilly. DH and I went out for breakfast, then browsed at the Subaru and Volkswagen dealers, then browsed around Lowe's and picked up a few things from Walmart.

Now I'm doing laundry, and I've started crock pot chicken for supper, and we're all waiting for the rain in Daytona to stop so the race can get under way.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:56 AM   #3886
Band Mom

I can haz a VERY proud?

Or will it annoy y'all, lol?
Old 02-26-2012, 10:59 AM   #3887
neglecting the kids and housework

Brag away PH
Old 02-26-2012, 12:55 PM   #3888
Band Mom

Y'all have heard me talk about my son ODS, yes?

The one who plays B-flat clarinet and alto clarinet and alto saxophone and even a little bit of bass drum?

He auditioned for the All Virginia High School Band yesterday, on alto clarinet.

He made it!!!!!

Old 02-26-2012, 12:58 PM   #3889
Band Mom

Three other students from ODS's school auditioned - one on B-flat clarinet, one on alto sax, and one on flute.

None of them made it.

I'm sad for the flute girl because she's a senior, and she's a really nice girl. The other two are sophomores like ODS, so they'll at least have chances to try again.

A total of 11 students from our county tried out, and only 4 got in.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:28 PM   #3890
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy otter View Post
Is it ok to request no peanut butter?

I have to admit I am not a peanut butter person. I know... weird.
I like peanut butter on a sandwich but I don't prefer it otherwise. If there are PB cookies or candies around, or any other dessert, I won't eat them unless I'm desperate for a fix. Chocolate covered PB doesn't tempt me.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
Old 02-26-2012, 02:31 PM   #3891

Quote:
Marge, may I ask you a professional question?

If I no longer have to worry about taxes for the business, is H&R block the best software to get to do my taxes myself?

I'll have mortgage interest, IRA stuff and some donations as deductions, nothing more complicated than that. I don't think the separation expenses are deductible.
I asked DH if he's still using Tax Cut or Tax Cut Deluxe or whatever; he'd used it for years (while most seemed to use Turbo Tax). He said it's now called "H&R at home." Guess they got bought out. LOL

I was just curious.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:33 PM   #3892

Quote:
Thanks Marge! My printer's shot so I'm trying to figure out what to do. I could go up to the shop and use theirs, or I guess I could save as a .pdf and print at my friend Debbie's house. I guess with the fees I won't have to pay the accountant this year, I could buy another printer but I'm trying to postpone anything I don't have to pay till after the trip, and I don't want to wait that long to do my taxes.

I very much appreciate your perspective!

I hope the Energy credit sticks around a while longer... on the other hand I'm also hoping I don't have to replace any appliances in the near future. I'd dearly love to replace the electric stove that came with the house with a gas stove, but that's not in the budget for a while. I'd also love to upgrade the kitchen cabinets but that's not in the budget, either, LOL.

Estate tax situation must be so frustrating with the software not loading. Grrrrr.
DH won't pay to eFile, either. You can get a printer for $50 or less these days, can't you? Unless you want something that can do many things....

But yeah if you can defer the printer and borrow a friend's, that's great.

Last edited by Stampin Wrose; 02-26-2012 at 03:03 PM.. Reason: Thanks, PH!
Old 02-26-2012, 02:34 PM   #3893

Quote:
Awwww.

I wonder if she'd go if it weren't her Dad. Maybe weirdo banking friend with tattoo can drop in a pointer or two.
That probably has a lot to do with it.....

Old 02-26-2012, 02:43 PM   #3894

PH - WOW. That's fantastic!!! Congrats big time to ODS!!!!!

Having been a band parent - but not pretending to understand the details - I do appreciate how important that is. They always announced at concerts who made it in, etc. Great!!

Old 02-26-2012, 02:47 PM   #3895

PH!!!! Whoohoo and BIG congratulations to ODS!!!

And Wrose, thanks for the input from DH too.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:49 PM   #3896

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose View Post
DH won't pay to eFile, either. You can get a printer for $50 or less these days, can't you? Unless you want something that can do many things....

But yeah if you can defer the printer and borrow a friend's, that's great.
I kind of want to replace the scanner/fax/copier part as well... I think if I create the file and print it at Debbie's I can get everything done and wait till I get home.

Last edited by muddy otter; 02-26-2012 at 04:31 PM..
Old 02-26-2012, 02:51 PM   #3897

Interesting morning.

Phantom has lately taken to scooting off his bed - not quite sure how - DH thinks maybe like a caterpillar? folds himself up, stretches out and over time, moves. Anyway, he said the other morning that Phantom was off the bed and mostly on the rug with his head on a pile of sheets (the old ones we use on his bed).

Well this morning I had gotten up to go potty around 7 and was just falling asleep again after a couple hot flashes when a strange noise woke me up. It was 7:40, and I sat bolt upright and said, "that's my dog!" It was a strange noise, sort of like an elephant seal bark? Phantom doesn't bark much because he's mostly deaf but he does occasionally attempt to vocalize. And it was loud! So I quick got my sweat pants and robe on and ran downstairs and DH followed. He had scooted the other direction, was off the bed on the cold floor, against the stereo cabinets, and was not happy. So we gave him some attention, I ran back up and woke DS up, and the boys changed the bedding, and we got him back onto a nice clean bed with a warm blanket, all snuggly. He was much happier.

I managed to fall asleep after awhile (and a couple more hot flashes), and slept til almost noon!

When I came down, DH was just getting in from Home Depot with some new outlets. We have several that weren't working reliably so he wanted to replace them with DS's help. I didn't get on the computer since I knew they would be turning the power on and off. I worked on my St. Pat's cards instead. They did that for a few hours. DS did all the work, with DH showing him how, and what to do. DH has been doing electrical work for a lot of years. So now all my kitchen outlets match the new outlet covers I got not long after we first moved in here, all nice and white. And they are done right so they work.

Last edited by Stampin Wrose; 02-26-2012 at 04:27 PM..
Old 02-26-2012, 02:56 PM   #3898

I get to go to work ni about an hour! Ahhhh some relaxation LOL
Old 02-26-2012, 03:04 PM   #3899

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewsplendidstamper View Post
I get to go to work ni about an hour! Ahhhh some relaxation LOL
Yeah that is funny but I know what you mean!!

Old 02-26-2012, 03:46 PM   #3900

Quote:
Interesting morning.

Phantom has lately taken to scooting off his bed - not quite sure how - DH thinks maybe like a caterpillar? folds himself up, stretches out and over time, moves. Anyway, he said the other morning that Phantom was off the bed and mostly on the rug with his head on a pile of sheets (the old ones we use on his bed).

Well this morning I had gotten up to go potty around 7 and was just falling asleep again after a couple hot flashes when a strange noise woke me up. It was 7:40, and I sat bolt upright and said, "that's my dog!" It was a strange noise, sort of like an elephant seal bark? Phantom doesn't bark much because he's mostly deaf but he does occasionally attempt to vocalize. And it was loud! So I quick got my sweat pants and robe on and ran downstairs and DH followed. He had scooted the other direction, was off the bed on the cold floor, against the stereo cabinets, and was not happy. So we gave him some attention, I ran back up and woke DS up, and the boys changed the bedding, and we got him back onto a nice clean bed with a warm blanket, all snuggly. He was much happier.

I managed to fall asleep after awhile (and a couple more hot flashes), and slept til almost noon!

When I came down, DH was just getting in from Home Depot with some new outlets. We have several that weren't working reliably so he wanted to replace them with DS's help. I didn't get on the computer since I knew they would be turning the power on and off. I worked on my St. Pat's cards instead. They did that for a few hours. DS did all the work, with DH showing him how, and what to do. DH has been doing electrical work for a lot of years. So now all my kitchen outlets match the new outlet covers I got not long after we first moved in here, all nice and white. And they are done right so they work.
Oh. Poor Phantom. He's really having a hard time, isn't he? But it sounds like he's still so happy to be with his humans and bask in that love.

It must be nice to have the outlets match at last--and work!

I have to admit I occasionally miss that kind of happy taken-care-of feeling of having STBX around. Well, more than occasionally I miss other things too. I know it's the right thing and there are a lot of things I don't miss so it's ok and getting ok-er.

Last edited by muddy otter; 02-26-2012 at 04:32 PM..
Old 02-26-2012, 03:55 PM   #3901

Quote:
Oh. Poor Phantom. He's really having a hard time, isn't he? But it sounds like he's still so happy to be with his humans and bask in that love.

It must be nice to have the outlets match at last--and work!

I have to admit I occasionally miss that kind of happy taken-care-of feeling of having STBX around. Well, more than occasionally I miss other things too. I know it's the right thing and there are a lot of things I don't miss so it's ok and getting ok-er.
Yeah he has his good points. lol

I told DH that two or three years ago, Phantom would have just run up the stairs and launched himself into the air and landed on our bed.

We'd hear him coming and scramble to get our legs out of the way!!!!

Old 02-26-2012, 04:12 PM   #3902
Band Mom

Quote:
Hooray for working outlets with matching outlet covers!

My DH did some home improvement stuff today too. The faucet in our tub has been dripping for a while. There was one day, probably a year ago, that it just started dripping pretty heavily, so I took the on/off knob apart and cleaned the parts and tightened up what I could (V, remember that?). I was able to get it to slow down a lot, but not completely stop. DH looked at it then and thought he was going to have to go into the wall to fix it (YIKES), so he never did anything with it.

Until today. We were talking this morning about stuff that needs to be fixed up around the house and I mentioned it. So this afternoon he decided to work on it. And he turned off the water into the house...

... while I had a load of clothes in the washing machine.

Luckily, he turned the water off several minutes after it had filled to wash, so nothing got messed up. When I realized he'd turned the water off, I told him I kind of needed it on, so he turned it back on until I put that load in the dryer.

Last edited by PH in VA; 02-26-2012 at 04:16 PM..
Old 02-26-2012, 04:14 PM   #3903
Stazon Splitcoast

Hello..busy weekend here. Shopping yesterday, Sister still MaHOOOOOsively sick. Took her to the ER this morning. She got 2 new meds and new eye drops. I'm still okay. "/
Old 02-26-2012, 04:15 PM   #3904
Band Mom

Quote:

Nicely said about Phantom. He's a lucky doggie to have people like Wrose's family.

Jane, I'm glad things are getting ok-er for you. You deserve that happiness.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:53 PM   #3905

Quote:
Originally Posted by PH in VA View Post
Nicely said about Phantom. He's a lucky doggie to have people like Wrose's family.

Jane, I'm glad things are getting ok-er for you. You deserve that happiness.
Thanks PH.

It's definitely been a weird couple of years. I think I'm settling into the new normal-ish. I mean, I know I'll never quite do normal-normal. I don't think most people get tattoos to celebrate things feeling more normal. I guess it's just felt like having to get used to being me all over again.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:49 PM   #3906
Stazon Splitcoast

PH - that's wonderful news about DS!

Wrose, my heart's with Phantom.

Carol, hope your sister gets better, yikes

V, hope you get some sleep

Jane - you can always hire plumbers & electricians....don't forget that....
Old 02-26-2012, 06:18 PM   #3907

Thanks everyone.

Dinner is in the oven. It's a boxed lasagna with dry ingredients and you add stuff. I even figured out the points. Got to add my own beef (used 96% fat free), mozzarella (fat free) and milk (fat free). So it's more point friendly.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:15 AM   #3908

The lasagna was good.

DH was working on taxes tonight.

Time for bed!

Goodnight, Pondies!

Old 02-27-2012, 07:13 AM   #3909
Band Mom

Wrose, it amuses me that you were saying good night an hour before my alarm time.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:16 AM   #3910

Good morning. Just got to talk to my mommy for about 45 minutes! Jane I told her you were going to come visit and she practically squealed! I think she's jealous
Old 02-27-2012, 01:25 PM   #3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by PH in VA View Post
Wrose, it amuses me that you were saying good night an hour before my alarm time.
LOL And then I read for half an hour before going up....

(Reacher, book 3)

Old 02-27-2012, 01:26 PM   #3912

Hey V. Was just thinking MO will be here in two weeks. I'll be picking her up at the airport. I'll be happy, but ERK will be sad.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:44 PM   #3913
Band Mom

I wish I could stow away in MO's suitcase. But that would put her luggage WAY over the weight limit.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:45 PM   #3914

LOL PH.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:46 PM   #3915

I assume it's pizza night here.

You know what that means, MO?

You'll get to go for Chicago style pizza your first night here. And experience rush hour traffic. At least we'll be in the carpool lane.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:51 PM   #3916

I sort of watched an episode of Top Gear (USA) last night, late, cos nothing else was on. And they were comparing muscle cars.

DS came down partway in and was telling me it was a sad imitation of the British show - I said I knew that but nothing else was on. LOL

Anyway, they had a new Mustang, a Dodge ... Charger? Challenger? Whatever. And a Camaro that was an automatic. Interestingly the automatic won the sprint race because the other two couldn't brake well and had to slow down too fast. Weird. Then one of the races, the "split" on the back of the Camaro fell off and the other two guys wouldn't let him have a "do over" and I'm thinking okay so we don't really get a comparison. We get to watch three silly guys - and they did seem silly to me - do a stupid version of a challenge. In the end, I felt like I learned nothing except that it was a stupid show with silly guys.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:56 PM   #3917

Awww...

Jan Berenstain, who with her husband, Stan, wrote and illustrated the Berenstain Bears books that have charmed preschoolers and their parents for 50 years, has died. She was 88.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:24 PM   #3918
Band Mom

Quote:
Awww...

Jan Berenstain, who with her husband, Stan, wrote and illustrated the Berenstain Bears books that have charmed preschoolers and their parents for 50 years, has died. She was 88.
We enjoyed several of the Berenstain books.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:26 PM   #3919
Band Mom

The good news is that the Daytona 500 is finally underway after being postponed because of rain yesterday and earlier today!

The bad news is that they started wrecking on just the second lap.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:36 PM   #3920

Quote:
Awww...

Oh--so sad.

I know lots of kids who grew up adoring those books. What a great legacy to leave that much delight and excitement about reading behind to live on after you.