Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 05:26 PM   #15961
Directionally Challenged Parrothead

We're home from the hospital. Mom's doing MUCH better today! They're going to put her chest tube on water seal--not quite sure what that is, but the goal is to see if any fluid builds in her lung. If she stays clear they'll take the tube out tomorrow.

I'm going to drive the rental car tomorrow and spend the day with her. Sam likes to go home and take a long nap in the afternoon. I rode with him today--we actually had several very sweet talks and I'm glad to be there for him, too. He's sort of bouncing back and forth between saying he'll be there for Mom and do everything for her (not necessarily realistic--I'm hoping they'll get a home health aide when Mom comes home given that he gets very restless if he can't go for his walks in the woods or downstairs to his workshop). I'd like to spend a little more time with Mom tomorrow before I go home. It looks like things are going well enough that it will be ok to head back Tuesday.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 11-11-2012, 07:03 PM   #15962
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinois Marge View Post
A lady at work asked me to make a wedding card for her. Her friend from Slovakia is getting married at City Hall next Saturday (full ceremony to follow back in Slovakia). She said that she liked nature and handcrafted things. What do you think? Took me 2.5 hours.

It uses Crafters Companion set, Autumn Leaves. but I won't be able to use it for a DT post because I used a retired SU greeting. But I can still do a blog post on my own blog.
It's gorgeous.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:03 PM   #15963
Her Royal Awesomeness of Shiner Bock PTA Pirate Land

GUESS WHO WALKED TODAY!!!!! Jason did!!! Woohoo!!! So proud of him!!!! Fingers crossed that he's out of the hospital by his birthday - which happens to be Thanskgiving!!!

2013 Scrapping Goal 48 pages
To date 20 completed!

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Old 11-11-2012, 07:05 PM   #15964
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmscoping View Post
GUESS WHO WALKED TODAY!!!!! Jason did!!! Woohoo!!! So proud of him!!!! Fingers crossed that he's out of the hospital by his birthday - which happens to be Thanskgiving!!!
Great news, E.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:08 PM   #15965
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy otter View Post
We're home from the hospital. Mom's doing MUCH better today! They're going to put her chest tube on water seal--not quite sure what that is, but the goal is to see if any fluid builds in her lung. If she stays clear they'll take the tube out tomorrow.

I'm going to drive the rental car tomorrow and spend the day with her. Sam likes to go home and take a long nap in the afternoon. I rode with him today--we actually had several very sweet talks and I'm glad to be there for him, too. He's sort of bouncing back and forth between saying he'll be there for Mom and do everything for her (not necessarily realistic--I'm hoping they'll get a home health aide when Mom comes home given that he gets very restless if he can't go for his walks in the woods or downstairs to his workshop). I'd like to spend a little more time with Mom tomorrow before I go home. It looks like things are going well enough that it will be ok to head back Tuesday.
More good news. I hope they get some kind of home help to give you and your sister peace of mind, too.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:08 PM   #15966
Stazon Splitcoast

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

some pics from today.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:16 PM   #15967
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Band Mom

Wrose, sounds like you enjoyed the scout thing.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:17 PM   #15968
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Englishrose View Post

Absolutely fantastic. That trip will be the experience of a lifetime!
Old 11-11-2012, 07:18 PM   #15969
Band Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinois Marge View Post
A lady at work asked me to make a wedding card for her. Her friend from Slovakia is getting married at City Hall next Saturday (full ceremony to follow back in Slovakia). She said that she liked nature and handcrafted things. What do you think? Took me 2.5 hours.

It uses Crafters Companion set, Autumn Leaves. but I won't be able to use it for a DT post because I used a retired SU greeting. But I can still do a blog post on my own blog.
It's very elegant! I think it's perfect for an autumn wedding.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:18 PM   #15970
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
That is great news, E!
Old 11-11-2012, 07:19 PM   #15971
Band Mom

Quote:

I'm glad to hear that your mom is improving. It sounds like you and your stepdad are getting along pretty well this time.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:20 PM   #15972
Band Mom

Quote:
YAY!!!
Old 11-11-2012, 07:23 PM   #15973
Band Mom

Quote:
Very cool!
Old 11-11-2012, 07:35 PM   #15974
Stazon Splitcoast

We took major steps today with the RV. Worked out how to open and close the awning. Took it to a truck stop for the weigh station so we know how much stuff we can put in. DH had to drive it along the interstate to get there. And ..... drum roll please....... managed to pull into a petrol station to fill the tanks without hitting anything! Got petrol, will travel! Lots cleaned, buttons discovered, keys labelled.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:36 PM   #15975
Stazon Splitcoast

And managed to cover my dwarf citrus trees. It only got down to 34 last night but they're talking 30 tonight. The lime tree really doesn't like that and they all ( lemon, lime and orange) are covered in fruit
Old 11-11-2012, 07:37 PM   #15976
Stazon Splitcoast

The cat just farted while sitting on me. Gassy animal.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:54 PM   #15977
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Quote:
The cat just farted while sitting on me. Gassy animal.
Ewww!! Pippin likes to get up under the desk here at my feet. Then he farts. Puppy farts of death.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
Old 11-11-2012, 07:55 PM   #15978

Quote:

That's good news, Jane. Loved the pic on FB too.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:55 PM   #15979

Quote:
That's great, E!!!

Old 11-11-2012, 07:56 PM   #15980

Quote:
Nice! Very impressive! I'm just a teeny bit jealous!

Old 11-11-2012, 08:06 PM   #15981
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose View Post
Ewww!! Pippin likes to get up under the desk here at my feet. Then he farts. Puppy farts of death.
ha ha. They are the silent but deadly pet farts! And they look so cute and innocent that you don't think it can be them...... I'm sitting on the settee with my feet on the table. Cat has his head on my stomach and his feet on the settee, stretched out and very comfy. Well, he is.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:31 PM   #15982
Stazon Splitcoast

I need chocolate.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:33 PM   #15983
Stazon Splitcoast

We need to trim the cats claws tomorrow, too.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:34 PM   #15984
Stazon Splitcoast

If he's really unlucky, he'll get a shower,too.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:36 PM   #15985
Stazon Splitcoast

In other good news for us this weekend, we finally got the leak in our shower fixed. After a lot of careful regrouting, caulking and sealing we can use our own shower again! We're waiting a few weeks before we replace the dry wall ..... just in case.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:51 PM   #15986
Band Mom

So the college shopping for ODS has officially begun.

Yesterday we went to an open house at JMU. After we checked in, we went to an info session for the school of music. We learned that music education degrees are awarded from the College of Visual and Performing Arts, and not from the College of Education, so we decided not to go to the info session for secondary education. We also learned the steps ODS will need to take to apply. We were shown some of the music practice rooms (which was nothing new to ODS because that's where he has his clarinet lessons) and the music library and one of the large concert practice halls. The info session itself was in the concert hall where his summer band camp concert was held. Then we went to an admissions info session, which was more trivia type stuff (what percentage of students are from Virginia, and which 5 states the most students come from, and the school has had students from 137 different countries, and that kind of stuff) than "how to apply here" type stuff. As part of that presentation, they showed a video of interviews with current students and professors and a recent graduate - and one of the professors in it was my freshman year history professor! So he's been there for... um... a few years.

When we were at the music info session, they mentioned when my junior year dorm was recently renovated, it was turned into a "learning community" for CVPA students. After we got out of the admissions session, we walked over toward the dorm and luckily got caught up with a group that was getting ready to tour it. So we tagged along. And WOW. We were shown a performance room, a classroom, an art studio, the common area (which gave us a peek into the laundry room), and then we went up a short flight of stairs to the first floor where what used to be the study lounge has been turned into an art gallery. When they renovated, they changed the layout of the rooms, so instead of every two rooms sharing a bathroom in between them, now they have a larger community bathroom down the hall. (That was the one real disappointment I had about the renovations - I liked that when I lived there, I only had to share the bathroom with 4 other girls, and that I didn't have to go down the hall to get there.) But when they demolished the original rooms, they saved all the doors and recycled them to use as wood paneling throughout the building - and in the hallway we walked through, it was gorgeous. The guide also talked about the other things that were done to make this the first renovated residence hall in the U.S. to receive LEEDS platinum certification - in other words, it's very environmentally friendly. So I was very impressed and proud to hear all the good stuff about my former home. One "awww" but somewhat amusing thing about it - the building was constructed during the late 1950s, during the Cold War - and I noticed yesterday that the Fallout Shelter placard by the front door had been removed.

Anyway, by then we were starting to get hungry, but the lines at the dining hall were stretched out the doors. So instead of eating right away, we went through the ground floor of the campus center and found my old P.O. box - well, the door, anyway, because they've moved the boxes. Then we browsed around the bookstore and bought ODS a baseball cap. Then we walked back to the car and had lunch at one of the local restaurants in town.

So it was a very good day overall. I think it cemented JMU as ODS's first choice of colleges. But he knows not to fully rule out other places until he's had a chance to tour them and learn more about them.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:04 PM   #15987
Band Mom

Quote:
And managed to cover my dwarf citrus trees. It only got down to 34 last night but they're talking 30 tonight. The lime tree really doesn't like that and they all ( lemon, lime and orange) are covered in fruit
Your low temps are about like ours. I hope your trees survive.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:18 PM   #15988

Quote:
If he's really unlucky, he'll get a shower,too.
LOL!

Old 11-11-2012, 10:21 PM   #15989

Quote:
Originally Posted by PH in VA View Post
So the college shopping for ODS has officially begun.

Yesterday we went to an open house at JMU. After we checked in, we went to an info session for the school of music. We learned that music education degrees are awarded from the College of Visual and Performing Arts, and not from the College of Education, so we decided not to go to the info session for secondary education. We also learned the steps ODS will need to take to apply. We were shown some of the music practice rooms (which was nothing new to ODS because that's where he has his clarinet lessons) and the music library and one of the large concert practice halls. The info session itself was in the concert hall where his summer band camp concert was held. Then we went to an admissions info session, which was more trivia type stuff (what percentage of students are from Virginia, and which 5 states the most students come from, and the school has had students from 137 different countries, and that kind of stuff) than "how to apply here" type stuff. As part of that presentation, they showed a video of interviews with current students and professors and a recent graduate - and one of the professors in it was my freshman year history professor! So he's been there for... um... a few years.

When we were at the music info session, they mentioned when my junior year dorm was recently renovated, it was turned into a "learning community" for CVPA students. After we got out of the admissions session, we walked over toward the dorm and luckily got caught up with a group that was getting ready to tour it. So we tagged along. And WOW. We were shown a performance room, a classroom, an art studio, the common area (which gave us a peek into the laundry room), and then we went up a short flight of stairs to the first floor where what used to be the study lounge has been turned into an art gallery. When they renovated, they changed the layout of the rooms, so instead of every two rooms sharing a bathroom in between them, now they have a larger community bathroom down the hall. (That was the one real disappointment I had about the renovations - I liked that when I lived there, I only had to share the bathroom with 4 other girls, and that I didn't have to go down the hall to get there.) But when they demolished the original rooms, they saved all the doors and recycled them to use as wood paneling throughout the building - and in the hallway we walked through, it was gorgeous. The guide also talked about the other things that were done to make this the first renovated residence hall in the U.S. to receive LEEDS platinum certification - in other words, it's very environmentally friendly. So I was very impressed and proud to hear all the good stuff about my former home. One "awww" but somewhat amusing thing about it - the building was constructed during the late 1950s, during the Cold War - and I noticed yesterday that the Fallout Shelter placard by the front door had been removed.

Anyway, by then we were starting to get hungry, but the lines at the dining hall were stretched out the doors. So instead of eating right away, we went through the ground floor of the campus center and found my old P.O. box - well, the door, anyway, because they've moved the boxes. Then we browsed around the bookstore and bought ODS a baseball cap. Then we walked back to the car and had lunch at one of the local restaurants in town.

So it was a very good day overall. I think it cemented JMU as ODS's first choice of colleges. But he knows not to fully rule out other places until he's had a chance to tour them and learn more about them.
Sounds like a good day, PH!

Our new humane society building in my town is also LEEDS certified! Nice!

Old 11-11-2012, 10:21 PM   #15990

Quote:
In other good news for us this weekend, we finally got the leak in our shower fixed. After a lot of careful regrouting, caulking and sealing we can use our own shower again! We're waiting a few weeks before we replace the dry wall ..... just in case.
Good work. I hope it's done for good!

Old 11-12-2012, 10:53 AM   #15991
Band Mom

Hi. It's Monday. I'm tired.

At least I'm off the hook for cooking supper. Because Ryan Newman finished in the top 10 in yesterday's NASCAR race, DH wants to go to Outback and get a free bloomin' onion. I don't care much for oniony stuff like that but DH can enjoy it.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:10 AM   #15992

Well I think I need to get back to cooking dinners here.... I really haven't been "putting anything together" for awhile. Frozen or boxed sides, meat that only needs to be heated, leftovers from eating out.....

I know some of that is because my oven isn't great, but mostly it's cos I've been lazy. Ever since the Atlanta trip...

Old 11-12-2012, 11:15 AM   #15993

Oh PH how fun. Those Bloomin' Onions are YUMMalicious !! lol And TONS of points. ha ha ha

Still, while I'd never order one for myself, I would eat a little bit of it. Generally DH and I don't get it when it's just us because he knows I won't eat anywhere near half of it. Points be damned, it's fried and you're dipping it in some yummy white sauce, how can it be good for your arteries? ROFL But if you only have a little....

Sorry. Just a little mental wresling going on the past few days.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:16 AM   #15994

I mean, why use sugar free products just so you can eat chocolate. How often realistically do I need to eat chocolate? Can it be less than every day?

Old 11-12-2012, 11:17 AM   #15995

It was 37 degrees this morning when DS and I headed out. He had a dentist appt.

Then to Starbucks and Target. Dang that's cold.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:06 PM   #15996
Band Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose View Post
Oh PH how fun. Those Bloomin' Onions are YUMMalicious !! lol And TONS of points. ha ha ha

Still, while I'd never order one for myself, I would eat a little bit of it. Generally DH and I don't get it when it's just us because he knows I won't eat anywhere near half of it. Points be damned, it's fried and you're dipping it in some yummy white sauce, how can it be good for your arteries? ROFL But if you only have a little....

Sorry. Just a little mental wresling going on the past few days.
It's just hard for me to get excited about going to this particular restaurant in the chain because they have a strong tendency to undercook my steak. I order it medium well, and 9 times out of 10 it gets served to me looking more like medium rare. Seriously. Ticks me off. I can't eat meat with red bloody juices oozing from it because it turns my stomach.

But it's the one that's closest to home, and on DH's way from work, so that's why we go there rather than the other fairly close one.

I was looking at the nutritional info online. Thought the wood-fired mahi sounded good... then noticed it has over 3700 mg of sodium. YIKES. Back to the drawing board.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:11 PM   #15997

We're almost to 16,000 posts. New thread? Who wants to start it?

Old 11-12-2012, 03:25 PM   #15998
neglecting the kids and housework

Quote:
That was it! Morning. I'll be in and out this weekend, we have the RV outside and will be scrubbing, measuring and discovering!
Old 11-13-2012, 06:38 AM   #15999
blaBBermouth

Morning! I need someone to update me!
Old 11-13-2012, 12:28 PM   #16000

How about you look in the new thread for an update! No, I didn't make an update yet, I suck at those, but somebody will! ha ha

New thread:

Nobody Puts Pondies in a Binder