Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 07:38 PM   #14961
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Band Mom

Oh Marge. What a PITA. I'm sorry!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 10-09-2012, 10:19 AM   #14962
Stazon Splitcoast

Morning. Busy here. The kids go back to school next Monday so they're finishing their holiday homework! It's almost done so that's good.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:21 AM   #14963
Stazon Splitcoast

What are your "must sees" in the US. DH has an idea about travelling after he retires before we leave the states. We'd home school for a few months.I know Muddy Otter will have loads of input here!

Last edited by Englishrose; 10-09-2012 at 11:29 AM..
Old 10-09-2012, 12:48 PM   #14964
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PH in VA View Post
You're sideways on my phone, too. Maybe it's a weird Apple quirk.
You're making me dizzy!

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
Old 10-09-2012, 12:59 PM   #14965
neglecting the kids and housework

Quote:
Originally Posted by Englishrose View Post
What are your "must sees" in the US. DH has an idea about travelling after he retires before we leave the states. We'd home school for a few months.I know Muddy Otter will have loads of input here!
The redwoods and a day in Monterey
Golden Gate
Mystery Spot or Winchester Mystery House
Phils Fish Market in Moss Landing (has been on Throwdown with Bobby Flay)

Seattle from what I gather is pretty awesome.
I hear Alaska has big vegetables

Personally I want to go to DC again.

Rock n Roll hall of fame was awesome.

I've lived my whole life near Yosemite and never gone.

I'd like to go see someone play at the Hollywood Bowl

I'd rather go to Maine than NY. Weirder and less people.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:04 PM   #14966

Went to the dentist. I need a root canal then I'm waiting til January to get it crowned. Gotta love our insurance system huh? Root canal will happen next week after I'm on antibiotics for the infection. Doc said likely because I medicate for back pain and inflammation I never realized it was bad and was hurting. She was surprised when I said there's no pain.

Anyway the root canal will eat up the rest of my insurance for the year so I can't even get a cleaning. Then the crown will eat it up right away for next year.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:06 PM   #14967

Wrose you still around?
Do you think we should do 880 down or 680?

I don't really know what the traffic flow on those are anymore.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:42 PM   #14968
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewsplendidstamper View Post
The redwoods and a day in Monterey
Golden Gate
Mystery Spot or Winchester Mystery House
Phils Fish Market in Moss Landing (has been on Throwdown with Bobby Flay)

Seattle from what I gather is pretty awesome.
I hear Alaska has big vegetables

Personally I want to go to DC again.

Rock n Roll hall of fame was awesome.

I've lived my whole life near Yosemite and never gone.

I'd like to go see someone play at the Hollywood Bowl

I'd rather go to Maine than NY. Weirder and less people.
We want to go to Maine too. Redwoods is on the list. And of course San Francisco, DH went to language school in Monterey and really wants to take us there. Pondie meet up I think, too! We would probably do another day or 2 in DC - we crammed so much in during our trip this past summer that the boys were exhausted by the time we got to American Indian museum. I barely had 30 minutes there. Jamestown, the Carolinas, Mount Rushmore, Old Faithful.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:43 PM   #14969
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Went to the dentist. I need a root canal then I'm waiting til January to get it crowned. Gotta love our insurance system huh? Root canal will happen next week after I'm on antibiotics for the infection. Doc said likely because I medicate for back pain and inflammation I never realized it was bad and was hurting. She was surprised when I said there's no pain.

Anyway the root canal will eat up the rest of my insurance for the year so I can't even get a cleaning. Then the crown will eat it up right away for next year.
Well that sucks. Hope it's not too painful after it's done.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:59 PM   #14970
Band Mom

Quote:
We want to go to Maine too. Redwoods is on the list. And of course San Francisco, DH went to language school in Monterey and really wants to take us there. Pondie meet up I think, too! We would probably do another day or 2 in DC - we crammed so much in during our trip this past summer that the boys were exhausted by the time we got to American Indian museum. I barely had 30 minutes there. Jamestown, the Carolinas, Mount Rushmore, Old Faithful.
Jamestown, IMO, should be on everyone's must-visit list.

Monticello is neat. I don't remember enough about Mount Vernon to give a recommendation for or against it.

Did your family tour the White House when you were in DC?

I'm not sure how much into Civil War history your family is, but the Museum of the Confederacy in Richmond, VA is pretty interesting. It's next door to the White House of the Confederacy, which is also worth a visit if you want to learn about what it was like when Jefferson Davis and his family lived there. Also relating to the Civil War, and about a 30 minute drive south of Richmond, Pamplin Park has a section where you're given a headset that plays a recording telling about an actual person from the era, and you walk through basically a war reenactment passage and experience what the person went through. Not all the headsets feature the same person, so you and your DH and boys could all end up as 4 different people.

Luray Caverns is really neat too. Gotta love the stalacpipe organ!

If your family does come back to Virginia, I hope we can arrange a Pondie meetup.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:02 PM   #14971
Band Mom

Quote:

I'm sorry.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:30 PM   #14972
Glitter Guru

DH is here (his last day) and he and I came up with this list from our travels around (mostly the northern) US:

Yellowstone (Sept or June to avoid crowds - no later/earlier due to snow) Museum of the Rockies in Bozeman MT and the western (Buffalo Bill?) museum in Cody WY are interesting and relatively closeMt Rushmore and (more interesting to us) Crazy Horse
Devils Tower and the Badlands in South Dakota
Mammoth, SD (there's a museum that shows a huge pit where many mammoths died and have been)
Glacier National Park
Seattle - Pacific Science Center, Space Needle, ferries, Pike Place Market, aquarium
Olympic Peninsula (Sol Duc Hot Springs, Hurricaine Ridge, Forks [lol])
Oregon coast (sand dunes and buggies FTW, neat aquarium on the ocean near Rogue)
Mt Lassen NP (CA)
Crater Lake (CA)
Niagara Falls
Victoria, BC (Museum of Natural History, Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum, Buchart Gardens)

To be honest, we can't think of anything we saw between Niagara Falls and South Dakota that we would say "you must see this"... Some of it is beautiful country, but nothing stands out to us as particularly memorable... We drove through (Niagara to Badlands) in 3-4 days because we didn't find anything in the AAA guide that inspired us to stop, LOL.

If you can be in the Northeast during the fall, the leave changes really are as spectacular as they say. If you get a sunny day and the right spot, you can see dozens of different leaf colors over thousands of acres of hill - gorgeous.

In New England, Old Sturbridge Village (MA) is a living museum of the early 1800's. Plymouth Plantation (MA) is a living museum replicating the Mayflower settlers' first settlement. Jamestown (VA) replicates the failed Jamestown settlement; nearby Colonial Williamsburg is another large living museum.

Obviously, Smithsonian museums. Our favorites were Natural History, Native American, Air and Space. DC in general, since the outside of the buildings are all so recognizable.

Feel free to ask about any of these, and have fun planning an amazing trip!
Old 10-09-2012, 02:33 PM   #14973

Quote:
Well that sucks. Hope it's not too painful after it's done.
It's not painful now. It's already dead so after the nerve is all gone it should be fine. I'll just need to be careful to not break the remaining tooth so I can get it crowned in january
Old 10-09-2012, 02:40 PM   #14974

I second a trip to BC! We loved it!
Old 10-09-2012, 04:27 PM   #14975
Directionally Challenged Parrothead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinois Marge View Post
Someplace I picked up a computer virus.

Probably one of those stupid Obama-bashing links I clicked on from CE. Grrrrrrrr

Spent all night transferring files.
GROWL.

Marge what a pain. As if there weren't enough reasons not to like bashing sites period, no matter who they go after.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:33 PM   #14976

Quote:

V that sucks. More GROWL.

I'm glad you're not in pain but it just seems wrong that you and DH work that hard and you have to spread it out to use the coverage.

I promise not to rant but... but... but... CRAP. It just sucks.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:43 PM   #14977
Band Mom

If a web page says "Click here for schedule (available in October)", it seems like they should have a clickable link for the info by the evening of October 9, doesn't it? Especially if the event the schedule is for is on October 20?

Or am I just being impatient?
Old 10-09-2012, 04:58 PM   #14978

Quote:
Ooooo please don't throw me in the briar patch!!!

I think that, with homeschooling, is the coolest idea EVARRRR!!!

I highly recommend the Utah desert--very different from yours. A lot more minerals in the rocks and the sandstone formations are amazing. Some of it is a bit like the Grand Canyon, but on a somehow more humanly-understandable scale. Zion, Bryce, Kodachrome Canyon, Kolob Canyon (the north end of Zion--it's on your way if you're heading up to Bryce) and of course the area around Moab--Arches and Canyonlands and Dead Horse Point (DHP is a UT state park).

If you're home schooling, go to UT not just for the scenery but for the geology. I highly recommend John McPhee's Basin and Range and all his books on geologists and geology--for you DH mostly, but the boys read well enough to handle it fro what I saw. Those books made geology come to life for me and there are probably a ton of amazing resources out there. Also some great history and anthropology of the Anasazi people. Hovenweep is a very moving site, so is Mesa Verde, just across the border in CO. The cliff dwellings are pretty unforgettable and an amazing teaching opportunity. Also cool Mormon history everywhere!

New Mexico, especially Santa Fe and the Pueblos nearby for Native American culture and the intersection of Mexican, Native and Anglo cultures. I know where you live (and lived in TX), there's a good bit of that intersection but Santa Fe and the Pueblos bring so much of the history and architecture to life. I don't know if you've read Death Comes for the Archbishop by Willa Cather but that's the book that made me want to see that part of the country--great as literature, also brings a lot of the cultural conflicts into a very moving focus. Also a lot of good discussion around the best and worst of religion in the book (she also wrote The Professor's House, which is a fictionalized account of finding the ruins at Mesa Verde. It's another very haunting book).

Glacier, Yellowstone and Yosemite are the 3 other parks that I'd say are not only can't-miss in terms of seeing America, but have great opportunities for learning--wildlife in Yellowstone--bison and plains life, elk, history of hunting and exploring the Rockies. Also some awesome geology with the geysers and hot springs. The drive to Glacier from Yellowstone goes through heartbreakingly beautiful country in Montana--great opportunity to do the cattle business, cattle drives, the railroads, and more on the Northern Plains Native American culture and events leading up to Custer's battle at Little Big Horn--the monument at Little Big Horn is very moving. In Yosemite you could bring in John Muir, Ansel Adams and the rise of environmentalism. My very favorite book here is John McPhee's Encounters with the Archdruid.

San Francisco gives you a great opportunity to go over US trade with Asia and the influence of Chinese and Japanese immigrants, if you head N towards WA you can go into timber and forestry.

If you go from West to East, you're kind of going backwards into US history to the colonial period--kind of an interesting way to organize things if you homeschool. The geology out West is just a giant science lab to make the spirit soar through time and all the quiet work of wind and water. I can't imagine a better place to learn all that. Without plant life, all that geology just sits out there stark naked.

The midwest is obviously agriculture, agribusiness, also history of homesteading and post-civil war US expansion. As you get back East, you've got Cherokee and other tribes' history across the upper South (NC, GA, TN, AL have a lot of pioneer sites and some pretty harrowing history of Indian removal). I thought Memphis was a really cool town--went with a friend of mine to visit Graceland, but we also visited Sun records--cool history of American music, blues and black music influencing white culture starting with Elvis, and all of which very much influenced the Beatles, Rolling Stones and 60s music in the UK.

On the East Coast, great history in Savannah, Charleston, Jamestown and Williamsburg, Baltimore (Fort McHenry from the Star Spangled Banner--lots of great War of 1812 history), NY (lots of historic sites there, I can write you an essay--also Hudson River Valley school of painters, worth heading up the river a bit), Mystic CT for shipbuilding, Boston (the Revolution), Lexington and Concord (Concord also gets you Thoreau, Emerson and the Transcendentalists), and Maine just for how insanely beautiful it is.

Whew!!!

Probably a lot more you could do but I tried to think in terms of places where teaching opportunities could really come to life.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:02 PM   #14979

Quote:
Jamestown, IMO, should be on everyone's must-visit list.

Monticello is neat. I don't remember enough about Mount Vernon to give a recommendation for or against it.

Did your family tour the White House when you were in DC?

I'm not sure how much into Civil War history your family is, but the Museum of the Confederacy in Richmond, VA is pretty interesting. It's next door to the White House of the Confederacy, which is also worth a visit if you want to learn about what it was like when Jefferson Davis and his family lived there. Also relating to the Civil War, and about a 30 minute drive south of Richmond, Pamplin Park has a section where you're given a headset that plays a recording telling about an actual person from the era, and you walk through basically a war reenactment passage and experience what the person went through. Not all the headsets feature the same person, so you and your DH and boys could all end up as 4 different people.

Luray Caverns is really neat too. Gotta love the stalacpipe organ!

If your family does come back to Virginia, I hope we can arrange a Pondie meetup.
YYEEESSSSS!!! Luray Caverns!!! More geology!!! Age of the Blue Ridge vs the Rockies! And how could I forget Monticello and Mr Jefferson??? (whacks self in head with Jefferson mug from UVa).
Old 10-09-2012, 05:07 PM   #14980

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlysonRR View Post
DH is here (his last day) and he and I came up with this list from our travels around (mostly the northern) US:

Yellowstone (Sept or June to avoid crowds - no later/earlier due to snow) Museum of the Rockies in Bozeman MT and the western (Buffalo Bill?) museum in Cody WY are interesting and relatively closeMt Rushmore and (more interesting to us) Crazy Horse
Mammoth, SD (there's a museum that shows a huge pit where many mammoths died and have been) That sounds REALLY cool!!!
Glacier National Park
Seattle - Pacific Science Center, Space Needle, ferries, Pike Place Market, aquarium
Oregon coast (sand dunes and buggies FTW, neat aquarium on the ocean near Rogue)
Mt Lassen NP (CA)
Crater Lake (CA)
Niagara Falls
Victoria, BC (Museum of Natural History, Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum, Buchart Gardens) If you make it to BC you can keep driving, hit the Alcan highway and visit Alaska!

To be honest, we can't think of anything we saw between Niagara Falls and South Dakota that we would say "you must see this"... Some of it is beautiful country, but nothing stands out to us as particularly memorable... We drove through (Niagara to Badlands) in 3-4 days because we didn't find anything in the AAA guide that inspired us to stop, LOL.

If you can be in the Northeast during the fall, the leave changes really are as spectacular as they say. If you get a sunny day and the right spot, you can see dozens of different leaf colors over thousands of acres of hill - gorgeous.

In New England, Old Sturbridge Village (MA) <--Sturbridge Village rocks is a living museum of the early 1800's. Plymouth Plantation (MA) is a living museum replicating the Mayflower settlers' first settlement. <--also Cape Cod has awesome history of Colonial and 19C fishing trade, lots of great US/British economic involvement,a nd history of Puritans and religion as factor in emigration to New World Jamestown (VA) replicates the failed Jamestown settlement; nearby Colonial Williamsburg is another large living museum.

Obviously, Smithsonian museums. Our favorites were Natural History, Native American, Air and Space. DC in general, since the outside of the buildings are all so recognizable.

Ack onetime American history major is going nuts here, LOL...
Old 10-09-2012, 05:08 PM   #14981
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy otter View Post
V that sucks. More GROWL.

I'm glad you're not in pain but it just seems wrong that you and DH work that hard and you have to spread it out to use the coverage.

I promise not to rant but... but... but... CRAP. It just sucks.
Agree.

Gosh, think the medical system needs reform? Just not right.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:10 PM   #14982

OK off to bed shortly...

Visions of history, economic development, anthropology and geology are dancing in my head.

ERK I wish I could come with you and put together lessons on US History for your trip!!! I don't know nearly as much as I wish I did about geology. Most of what I know comes from John McPhee, picking up guide books and reading all the exhibit signs and National Park visitor centers, LOL...
Old 10-09-2012, 05:11 PM   #14983

Quote:
Agree.

Gosh, think the medical system needs reform? Just not right.
Meh. We're fine. If your insurance sucks (or you have none) you're just not working hard enough. Slacker!!!

(right...)
Old 10-09-2012, 05:11 PM   #14984
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
YYEEESSSSS!!! Luray Caverns!!! More geology!!!
I liked Mammoth Caves.

Lots of the other good places have been named. But want to put a plug in for the Great Lakes. Lots of maritime history and coastlines, dunes.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:14 PM   #14985
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Harrumphhhh...

World class architecture in Chicago. Better than even New York. The double decker architecture bus tour is amazing.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:16 PM   #14986
Band Mom

I agree with the suggestion of visiting Niagara Falls.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:34 PM   #14987

Quote:
I liked Mammoth Caves.

Lots of the other good places have been named. But want to put a plug in for the Great Lakes. Lots of maritime history and coastlines, dunes.
<--jumping up and down in anticipation!
Old 10-09-2012, 05:35 PM   #14988

Quote:
Harrumphhhh...

World class architecture in Chicago. Better than even New York. The double decker architecture bus tour is amazing.
My Dad always used to send us post cards of the two round buildings by the river when he went there on business. You don't know how excited I am about seeing them in person!!!
Old 10-09-2012, 05:36 PM   #14989

OK really going to bed now...
Old 10-09-2012, 06:09 PM   #14990
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
My Dad always used to send us post cards of the two round buildings by the river when he went there on business. You don't know how excited I am about seeing them in person!!!
Marina Towers.

There's much better than those
Old 10-09-2012, 07:33 PM   #14991
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Ack onetime American history major is going nuts here, LOL...
The Mammoth dig citation should say that there's a huge pit that they're actively excavating - v. cool, middle of nowhere, but near Badlands which are also v. cool.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:38 PM   #14992
Glitter Guru

Quote:
It's not painful now. It's already dead so after the nerve is all gone it should be fine. I'll just need to be careful to not break the remaining tooth so I can get it crowned in january
Hope you stay okay. We ran out of FSA$ so we're putting off teeth cleanings and glasses updates, too. On the good side, we will have paid off DS's orthodontic bill (he still has a year to go) before xmas - hurray!

I wish FSA would carry over so we didn't feel we have to minimize pre-tax deductions in order to not lose any. And, of course, having insurance that covers stuff would be good, eh?
Old 10-09-2012, 07:46 PM   #14993
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Harrumphhhh...

OK, you're totally right about Chicago, and I completely apologize. I went there as a college student on tour with the select choir and we thoroughly enjoyed seeing the buildings, that huge downtown mall, eating deep dish, and going to the Chicago Symphony.

But we skirted it completely on our way through the midwest with the kids (age 3 and 6). We stopped in Kalamazoo to visit with friends, but purposefully avoided Chicago b/c urban experience is more of a grown-up thing, in my opinion. And we couldn't afford staying there (we were living on unemployment, just decided to sell the house in MD and move to WA on the hopes that we could make something happen there, where my family live).

No insult to Chi-town - totally enjoyed it as a 21-yo

Oh, and the other reason for avoiding Great Lakes - we were going at the prime time for blackflies. I'm very allergic to blackfly bites and we had no intention of camping during the high season for blackflies and mosquitos...

There's this fun book we used with the kids for geography when we were homeschooling, "Paddle-to-the-Sea" by Holling. It was a great overview of the Great Lakes region from the perspective of a wood-carving of a Native American boy paddling a canoe, that traveled through the Lakes and out toward the ocean. I seem to remember the same author had several other books combining geography and history and social studies - might be worth looking at, ERK.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:23 PM   #14994
Stazon Splitcoast

Some great ideas here. I think we may be longer than 6 months at this rate! Home late as....................
Old 10-09-2012, 08:25 PM   #14995
Stazon Splitcoast

we went looking at RV's. Yup, me in an RV for 7/8 months. OMG Got an idea of what we would like/not want. Would try to buy through Craigslist. Went to 2 dealers and prices varied hugely. One across the road from the other. 3rd one we went to had moved almost everything out as they are doing a show at the fairgrounds just down the road from us at the weekend so we'll look around with less pressure there, too. Wow, though. The money these things can sell for. Crazy.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:12 PM   #14996

Quote:

Wow. We don't have to pay anything for cleanings. Always covered. The rest, there's a $50 deductible per year (none for cleanings) on fillings or crowns and stuff and then they cover 80% of the "negotiated" rate - which is less than the dentist would like to charge, I guess!

Well I'm glad you got it taken care of. I did use up my money for this year on crowns, too. I could still get a cleaning, but I'm not due now til January.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:13 PM   #14997

Quote:
Wrose you still around?
Do you think we should do 880 down or 680?

I don't really know what the traffic flow on those are anymore.
Oops sorry. I don't think it matters depending on time of day. 680 is pretty good except rush hour and it's definitely directional. Same for 880. Both move pretty well most of the time. Unless there's an accident.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:17 PM   #14998

Quote:

Mammoth, SD (there's a museum that shows a huge pit where many mammoths died and have been)
Glacier National Park
Mt Lassen NP (CA)
Crater Lake (CA)
Niagara Falls
Victoria, BC (Museum of Natural History, Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum, Buchart Gardens)

In New England, Old Sturbridge Village (MA) is a living museum of the early 1800's. Plymouth Plantation (MA) is a living museum replicating the Mayflower settlers' first settlement. Jamestown (VA) replicates the failed Jamestown settlement; nearby Colonial Williamsburg is another large living museum.

Crater Lake is in Oregon!

Saw Sturbridge Village when I was a teen, and Willamsburg a bit later. Love that stuff. The Revolutionary War was my favorite time period.

You also didn't stop in Cleveland at the Rock and Roll Museum. I haven't been there yet. My sister went and loved it.

I've also been to New Orleans and loved it, but I was in my 20s.

Yosemite is awesome. I've never been when it's real busy though.

I haven't been to a lot of those places. Saw Luray as a kid. My parents took us to a lot of caves. I've heard Mammoth is awesome.

The Air Force Museum is in Dayton, Ohio. That's the ONLY tourist thing we did on our cross country trip in '05. We drove like crazy and had to maximize time with both sets of grandparents. But we spent a full day at that museum. DH's father is retired AF. And the kids were still in HS and loved it. Tons of stuff to see and the kids would love it.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:18 PM   #14999

Quote:
If a web page says "Click here for schedule (available in October)", it seems like they should have a clickable link for the info by the evening of October 9, doesn't it? Especially if the event the schedule is for is on October 20?

Or am I just being impatient?
You are obviously too impatient for them! lol If this is a school music event, I'm not surprised. If it's a commercial thing, I'm surprised.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:19 PM   #15000

Quote:
I liked Mammoth Caves.

When I first saw this, I thought you said,
Lots of maritime history and coastlines, dudes.