Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2012, 02:04 PM   #14841
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampinbb View Post
Thanks, V. It could be much worse. One of my dear friends is kicking her son out tonight because he started using drugs again. Her DD is here hanging with G. Its killing my gf. They had him in an inpatient rehab facility for two weeks, then he did outpatient for six weeks and he fell off he wagon this week. He refuses to stop. She's got it much worse than me right now.
Amber, I hope your Dad recovers well.

So sad about your friend's son. I can't help thinking that kicking him out won't help -- but then I'm not in her shoes. Sending good thoughts.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:05 PM   #14842
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose View Post
Been cleaning out kitchen drawers. Obviously many of these drawers haven't been cleared or cleaned in years.

Also tons of paper and bags and plastic in the utility room. And mouse poop here and there. Bleah.

But hey it's getting done.
It is a chore, that's for sure.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:07 PM   #14843
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Just to give Marge something to read.
Well thank you kindly
Old 10-05-2012, 03:30 PM   #14844
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Band Mom

Quote:
Braves are on soon. Fingers crossed. If St. Louis does win, that's my brother's team, so I can support them, but NOT today!
Wrosey, I have nothing against baseball, but I think at heart I'm a football girl.

Case in point:
A little while ago, on my way from the bathroom to my computer/craft room, I walked through the living room. DH was watching the football game between Syracuse and Pittsburgh on the living room TV. I can't see the TV from my computer room, but I can hear it when the volume is turned up loudly enough.
A few minutes ago I started hearing the crowd sing/chant "Tomahawk" (the Native American sounding song where the crowd does the chopping motion).
And my first thought was, "Florida State is playing tonight?"

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 10-05-2012, 03:31 PM   #14845
Band Mom

Sorry you and your family and friends are going through rough times right now, Amber. {Hugs}
Old 10-05-2012, 05:59 PM   #14846
Directionally Challenged Parrothead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Englishrose View Post
I'm struggling to find something for dinner today. This week we've had pork, taco salad, chicken curry, fish, shrimp
ERK I keep thinking about your DSs--I can't get that M&Ms LMFAO tune out of my head--except I keep wanting to sing it with the NASA lyrics ('Crane, lower that rover, crane, lower that rover... we're NASA and we know it!').

I finally googled the original video. Holy cow. The NASA takeoff left the 'wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle' bit out.

Anyway the entire research enterprise made me remember the boys singing it and remembering that cracks me up and leaves me with a big smile on my face.

Except now I have visions of the saguaro doing 'wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle,' too.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:02 PM   #14847

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinois Marge View Post
Sounds like a great menu week already. Mine looks like chicken, chicken, don't cook, chicken....

I say time to order Chinese
Mmmmm, tastes like chicken!

Holy cow I miss good Chinese food.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:03 PM   #14848

Quote:
Originally Posted by PH in VA View Post
Just popping in to say hi. I'm trying to finish up a box of cards for OWH today but I'm a bit brain dead so I don't know how that will go. I did get a few things uploaded to my gallery here this morning.

Tomorrow we have another marching band competition. This one is about two hours away, south of here. Should be pretty scenery getting there since the leaves are starting to change here and we're not in the highest elevations.
Good luck Patricia! Wow--you probablly will have gorgeous leaves on the way!
Old 10-05-2012, 06:05 PM   #14849

Quote:
Home early. I need to work a deployment from 1am to 4:30am tonight (well, really Saturday morning). Got my verification scripts all ready. I'll go to bed around 9:30 or so and try to get some sleep before the alarm wakes me at 1am.

We were going to go to the once-monthly Kane County flea market tomorrow, but sanity got the better of me. We'll go in November.
Hope it goes well, Marge!
Old 10-05-2012, 06:06 PM   #14850

Quote:
Dad had surgery this morning to shock his heart bc his a-fib returned. He went to the cardiologist yesterday afternoon and they scheduled him for 730 this morning. Surgery went well and he is resting comfortably. He will probably get to come home today.

Neighbor passed away, so I have to go to the funeral home tonight.

Its not the greatest day.
Amber I'm VERY glad your Dad is ok but so sorry to hear about your neighbor. All of you are in my thoughts and heart.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:08 PM   #14851

Quote:
Thanks, V. It could be much worse. One of my dear friends is kicking her son out tonight because he started using drugs again. Her DD is here hanging with G. Its killing my gf. They had him in an inpatient rehab facility for two weeks, then he did outpatient for six weeks and he fell off he wagon this week. He refuses to stop. She's got it much worse than me right now.
That must be absolutely devastating. My thoughts are with your gf and her familly as well. That's such a tough fight not only for the person who's addicted, but for everyone who loves him.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:12 PM   #14852

Quote:
Amber, I hope your Dad recovers well.

So sad about your friend's son. I can't help thinking that kicking him out won't help -- but then I'm not in her shoes. Sending good thoughts.
I think it's tough because when someone gets addicted, they start using people to support whatever else they're using. And it's unbearable to feel as though your abetting someone in substance abuse and enabling them to keep going on that path to destruction.

My Dad when through that with alcohol and the stock market, both of which were legal, and of course we couldn't exactly kick him out of his own house. But he did finally lose a home that he loved and that hit him pretty hard. It never stopped him from drinking but it did finally stop his gambling issues.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:13 PM   #14853

See you all in the morning. Hot date with some nice angular zzzzz's.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:02 PM   #14854
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Quote:
Wrosey, I have nothing against baseball, but I think at heart I'm a football girl.

Case in point:
A little while ago, on my way from the bathroom to my computer/craft room, I walked through the living room. DH was watching the football game between Syracuse and Pittsburgh on the living room TV. I can't see the TV from my computer room, but I can hear it when the volume is turned up loudly enough.
A few minutes ago I started hearing the crowd sing/chant "Tomahawk" (the Native American sounding song where the crowd does the chopping motion).
And my first thought was, "Florida State is playing tonight?"

Yeah we stole it from FSU a number of years ago, after somebody that went there came to the Braves. I forget who, though....

Oh yeah. Deion Sanders. He also played for the Atlanta Falcons at the same time. So there you go. Football AND baseball!

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
Old 10-05-2012, 07:04 PM   #14855

But the Braves are done. Three errors, four unearned runs, one horrible incredible call that caused about a half hour delay and an official protest filed. One of the extra outfield umps called the infield fly rule, 75 feet out in the grass. The rule is designed to protect the runners, not the fielders. OMG, trash rained upon the field, worries about a forfeit.... but eventually they finished the last two innings.

So Chipper's career is now in the history books.

St. Louis did fine. It's not their fault we had what for all the world appeared to be replacement umps, a la the NFL debacle.....

Old 10-05-2012, 07:04 PM   #14856

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy otter View Post
Mmmmm, tastes like chicken!

Holy cow I miss good Chinese food.
You sure are in the wrong area for that!

Old 10-05-2012, 07:09 PM   #14857
Band Mom

Quote:
Yeah we stole it from FSU a number of years ago, after somebody that went there came to the Braves. I forget who, though....

Oh yeah. Deion Sanders. He also played for the Atlanta Falcons at the same time. So there you go. Football AND baseball!
Didn't Bo Jackson do both sports with Kansas City? The Royals and the Chiefs?
Old 10-05-2012, 07:20 PM   #14858

Quote:
See you are good! Yes he did! I think he got injured, or might have had a long and storied career. He was good. I wouldn't swear to what teams without a google, but whatever. lol

Old 10-05-2012, 07:21 PM   #14859

Okay I had to look cos I was thinking of the Raiders for some reason. From Wiki: In football, he played running back for the Los Angeles Raiders of the National Football League. In baseball, he played left field and was a designated hitter for the Kansas City Royals, the Chicago White Sox, and the California Angels of the American League in Major League Baseball.

Of course now the Raiders are back in Oakland. lol

Old 10-05-2012, 07:30 PM   #14860
Band Mom

I was more interested in baseball when I was growing up. My dad always enjoyed watching it (he even played for his high school team), so I'd watch with him. So I do remember some of the players from the late 70s and early to mid 80s. Dad would probably say that the Cardinals are his favorite team; he and Mom even went to a St. Louis game back in the early 60s when Dad's sister and BIL lived in the area. I liked the Royals since that was the name of our high school's teams. And I'm not sure why but I also liked the Dodgers for a while.

My sisters and I even had a bunch of baseball cards at one time. For some reason I'm thinking they came off the bottom of the boxes of Hostess snack cakes. LOL! Dang, that's old stuff... that would definitely have been in the 1970s. I vividly remember we had a Mike Schmidt card.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:29 PM   #14861

Oh how cool, PH.

I sort of had an opposite experience. I liked baseball at the Little League level because my brother was a very good pitcher. But I used to watch football on Sundays with my dad. Somewhere I became a Jets fan. Blame Joe Namath. (He has NOT aged well, by the way!) I tried to watch baseball when I was in my late teens. I remember the game being on TV and NOTHING was happening. Then my folks got home with groceries and I helped them put them away, for about ten minutes. Came back and all sorts of scoring had happened. Then nothing for the rest of the game. I believe I heard later that it was in the time period when they raised the pitcher's mound, which made pitching dominate, and of course they lowered it again later because fans like scoring. lol But I was ticked off, so didn't bother with it again til I moved to Atlanta. One guy I used to hang out with liked to listen to the Braves, and I got sort of hooked. Then I started going to games. You could get a field level seat near the field for $8.

I do like some other teams, and there are just a few that I really dislike. Don't tell my NYY loving sister that I can't stand them. lol

Old 10-05-2012, 11:53 PM   #14862
Stazon Splitcoast

Well I joined the deployment bridge on time, and we were advised to "check back" -- they are behind schedule which is NOT a good sign. So it is 2:52 am CT and we haven't started verifying yet!!!

Site needs to be back up for customers no later than 6am Saturday. Which means if we can't get in there soon, they'll need to make a backout decision around 4 or 5am.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:20 AM   #14863
Stazon Splitcoast

We deployed!! Yippee!! Got off the bridge just before 6am and walked Shadow.

I'm all pumped up from 3 cups of coffee, not sure I can go back to sleep.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:17 AM   #14864

Quote:
You sure are in the wrong area for that!
Well, I actually didn't get a cheese enchilada last night... one of my kayaking friends went back to school to become a neuromuscular therapist (a degree beyond massage therapy--these are the folks who do accupressure and have some diagnostic licensing, insurance covers them). They start them off with basic swedish massage and she has to do I think 50 of them to progress to the next section of the training.

She can't accept any compensation for the massage, but she's taken tai chi for years at a local dojo, and gosh, I wanted to hear about that so I treated her to dinner... the spinach and chicken quesadillas were calling to me. Only ate one, I'll have its partner for dinner later.

But yeah... not the right area for Chinese. Lots of good Thai and Vietnamese here, though. Indian, too! The one good Chinese place we LOVED up near the old house closed earlier this year. I'm heartbroken--I'd still drive 40 min to eat there and I adored the owners. Kind of interesting that with all the other good Asian food, the only Chinese you find is almost entirely the dumbed-down for Americans stuff.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:23 AM   #14865

Quote:
I was more interested in baseball when I was growing up. My dad always enjoyed watching it (he even played for his high school team), so I'd watch with him. So I do remember some of the players from the late 70s and early to mid 80s. Dad would probably say that the Cardinals are his favorite team; he and Mom even went to a St. Louis game back in the early 60s when Dad's sister and BIL lived in the area. I liked the Royals since that was the name of our high school's teams. And I'm not sure why but I also liked the Dodgers for a while.

My sisters and I even had a bunch of baseball cards at one time. For some reason I'm thinking they came off the bottom of the boxes of Hostess snack cakes. LOL! Dang, that's old stuff... that would definitely have been in the 1970s. I vividly remember we had a Mike Schmidt card.
That's so sweet about watching with your Dad. That's how I learned to love football. I guess if Dad had been interested in baseball I might have developed a similar love for it, but that whole feeling of hunkering down in front of the TV with Dad and rooting for whichever team he'd bet on was so much a part of growing up for me.

I'm sure it's not exactly in the parenting manual to have your 12yo daughter be able to explain point spreads and teaser bets in detail, or to sit around asking you about who you've got and by how many before the game but holy cow I sure did love watching with my Dad. For a couple of years after he died, I'd call his friend Harry to ask who he thought Dad would have picked for the Super Bowl and then I'd ask him to take them one time ($5 is 1x) with the bookie for me.

Harry never called me whether we won or lost and I'm pretty sure he never called the bookie to place the bet, but we'd always have a great talk and remember Dad, and in the end I think that was the point.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:27 AM   #14866

Quote:
Oh how cool, PH.

I sort of had an opposite experience. I liked baseball at the Little League level because my brother was a very good pitcher. But I used to watch football on Sundays with my dad. Somewhere I became a Jets fan. Blame Joe Namath. (He has NOT aged well, by the way!) I tried to watch baseball when I was in my late teens. I remember the game being on TV and NOTHING was happening. Then my folks got home with groceries and I helped them put them away, for about ten minutes. Came back and all sorts of scoring had happened. Then nothing for the rest of the game. I believe I heard later that it was in the time period when they raised the pitcher's mound, which made pitching dominate, and of course they lowered it again later because fans like scoring. lol But I was ticked off, so didn't bother with it again til I moved to Atlanta. One guy I used to hang out with liked to listen to the Braves, and I got sort of hooked. Then I started going to games. You could get a field level seat near the field for $8.

I do like some other teams, and there are just a few that I really dislike. Don't tell my NYY loving sister that I can't stand them. lol
Joe Namath!!!! I had a crush on him when I was like 10 or something!!!! Broadway Joe Willie!

Yeah I think if you abuse that many substances for that long, you're not going to age well, no matter how cute you look in panty hose.

I don't love the Yankees either. My BIL hates them too. He roots avidly for the Mets, which of course is usually not a very satisfying hobby. During my time working for the company in NE I developed a very profound affection for the Red Sox and Patriots, which surprisingly has survived the end of my time with the company. I think there was just so much camaraderie in the office about the teams, and I've stayed in touch with enough people from the job, that I'll always have warm fuzzies for the teams.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:29 AM   #14867

Quote:

Yikes Marge--that sounded like a nail biter!!!

How sick is it that every time you tell us you've got a deployment, I want to ask you what I can do to help? LOLOLOLMAO!!!

In any case congratulations!!!!
Old 10-06-2012, 05:31 AM   #14868

Wrose, as sad as I am about not being on the road to Atlanta, I am very happy to report that Molly's doing well. I took her for a walk this morning and got her back on her 1/2 mile circuit--vet said to take it easy for a few days but she was raring to go this morning. Off to Debbie's in a bit to stamp and cut paper and design cards for my class next week.

I'm very relieved after Thursday and glad things are going so well. I was scared to death Monday night.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:34 AM   #14869
Her Royal Awesomeness of Shiner Bock PTA Pirate Land

Quote:
I miss Bo. He went to Auburn the same time my brother was in school there. I loved watching him play.

2013 Scrapping Goal 48 pages
To date 20 completed!

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Old 10-06-2012, 08:25 AM   #14870

Quote:

w00t for good deployment!! Maybe you can get a nap when the caffeine wears off.

Old 10-06-2012, 08:26 AM   #14871
Band Mom

Glad the deployment went well, Marge!

Jane, I'm glad Molly is doing so much better.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:26 AM   #14872

Quote:
Well, I actually didn't get a cheese enchilada last night... one of my kayaking friends went back to school to become a neuromuscular therapist (a degree beyond massage therapy--these are the folks who do accupressure and have some diagnostic licensing, insurance covers them). They start them off with basic swedish massage and she has to do I think 50 of them to progress to the next section of the training.

She can't accept any compensation for the massage, but she's taken tai chi for years at a local dojo, and gosh, I wanted to hear about that so I treated her to dinner... the spinach and chicken quesadillas were calling to me. Only ate one, I'll have its partner for dinner later.

But yeah... not the right area for Chinese. Lots of good Thai and Vietnamese here, though. Indian, too! The one good Chinese place we LOVED up near the old house closed earlier this year. I'm heartbroken--I'd still drive 40 min to eat there and I adored the owners. Kind of interesting that with all the other good Asian food, the only Chinese you find is almost entirely the dumbed-down for Americans stuff.
Cool! I got a free massage from BFF's daughter a few years ago, same deal, she had to get a certain number in. It was after a party, Pampered Chef maybe? Anyway, nice.

That is sad about the Chinese food. But hey at least you can find Thai Spicy! I do have trouble getting our newest place to get it hot enough. Too Americanized.

Old 10-06-2012, 08:27 AM   #14873

Hey PH

Old 10-06-2012, 08:27 AM   #14874
Band Mom

Busy weekend here... DH and I are getting ready to head down to the marching competition. I'm typing while finishing my lunch.

Tomorrow we have a wedding to go to. I suppose I need to make a card for that...
Old 10-06-2012, 08:28 AM   #14875

Quote:
Joe Namath!!!! I had a crush on him when I was like 10 or something!!!! Broadway Joe Willie!

Yeah I think if you abuse that many substances for that long, you're not going to age well, no matter how cute you look in panty hose.

I don't love the Yankees either. My BIL hates them too. He roots avidly for the Mets, which of course is usually not a very satisfying hobby. During my time working for the company in NE I developed a very profound affection for the Red Sox and Patriots, which surprisingly has survived the end of my time with the company. I think there was just so much camaraderie in the office about the teams, and I've stayed in touch with enough people from the job, that I'll always have warm fuzzies for the teams.
I think it's just the way his face has grown. His nose got HUGE and his ears got HUGE and it just got to looking pretty bad.

I think Mark Harmon aged well, I like him much better now than when he was younger. He was cute but goofy or something. I didn't care for Sean Connery's looks in his Bond days, either, but yum for the Hunt for Red October. He's getting pretty ancient now tho. (I should talk, huh. lol)

Old 10-06-2012, 08:31 AM   #14876

Quote:
Wrose, as sad as I am about not being on the road to Atlanta, I am very happy to report that Molly's doing well. I took her for a walk this morning and got her back on her 1/2 mile circuit--vet said to take it easy for a few days but she was raring to go this morning. Off to Debbie's in a bit to stamp and cut paper and design cards for my class next week.

I'm very relieved after Thursday and glad things are going so well. I was scared to death Monday night.
Well I wish you were here, but I know we will be back.

It's a nice day. DH arranged for a former neighbor to come by to help. Well, the guy offered. lol Nice guy, I met him at the funeral. He and DH's dad were good buddies. DH's dad made friends with all the young guys in the neighborhood so they'd help out when he needed it. HAHAHA

Anyway, they're outside so maybe attacking the jungle out back?

Also not too heartbroken about the Braves, in one sense, as we'll get more done without two games taking a chunk of time. Sigh.

Old 10-06-2012, 08:31 AM   #14877

Quote:
Busy weekend here... DH and I are getting ready to head down to the marching competition. I'm typing while finishing my lunch.

Tomorrow we have a wedding to go to. I suppose I need to make a card for that...
A wedding on a Sunday eh? That always seems unusual to me. I guess I've got wedding on Saturday ingrained in me. I hope you have fun!

Old 10-06-2012, 10:37 AM   #14878
Stazon Splitcoast

FINALLY met the new neighbor!

Susan. She seems very nice (based on a 10 minute front yard chat)
Old 10-06-2012, 11:12 AM   #14879

It's always good to have nice neighbors.

Is she an older woman or younger or ?

Old 10-06-2012, 02:29 PM   #14880

Well, other than not seeing you and DH, Wrose, it's been a good quiet day.

Spent the morning at Debbie's playing with paper while the collies romped in the yard (Molly came back in and curled up by our feet while we worked). Then a friend called, she and her boyfriend were taking a motorboat out for the afternoon and wanted to know if I wanted to go for a ride. It was GORGEOUS out on the lake--warm enough to swim so we floated and laughed and caught up (another mutual friend came along). Home with the pups now, heading upstairs for a warm shower.

SO glad we all went out--clouds are rolling in, tomorrow it will drop from 83 back into the 60s, 40s at night so glad we jumped in the lake while the sun shone. Pups get supper and training in a bit, then I'll head upstairs to finish my sister's birthday card.

YAY FUZZY WEATHER STARTS TOMORROW!!!! I can't wait!!!! Woolly zox! Crisp fall days!! Fireplace at night!!! Maybe the leaves will start changing color soon--right now they're still green but looking a bit tired and ready to turn. What a lovely day to say goodbye to summery warmth, though. And lovely to have time on the water with good friends.