Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2012, 05:10 PM   #12961
blaBBermouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewsplendidstamper View Post
BB admit it, you're wondering if they skinny dipped
I wasn't, but now I am! LOL.

Not really a lot of places to skinny dip in that area. You could go up to the lakes and skinny dip, though I am sad to say I have not skinny dipped in any great lake.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:15 PM   #12962
Directionally Challenged Parrothead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinois Marge View Post
Your baby is coming home!

p.s. I hear that brownies ship well. To Illinois, for example.
Nomnomnom...
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 08-20-2012, 05:15 PM   #12963
neglecting the kids and housework

off to work
Old 08-20-2012, 05:16 PM   #12964
blaBBermouth

Quote:
Really I care so little about skinny dipping. Especially now if I did it it would be more like chubby floating.
It feels so free and amazing. I used to skinny dip frequently when we had a pool growing up, so I love the feeling. I knew I wasn't leaving the caribbean without skinny dipping.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:20 PM   #12965

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampinbb View Post
This isn't directed at you, just quoting you bc of the topic.

I think I've misunderstood something about Yoder. I realize he is a republican, but does he take some kind of moral stance against things like skinny dipping? Is that why he is a hypocrit? BC I think I'm missing something.

Y'all know how big of a republican DH is and his naked rearend was in the water. Heck, probably better than half of the people in the water were republican. I can't see a moral issue with skinny dipping. Of course, my republican friends aren't republican based on moral issues or social ones. They are republican because of financial issues and the way they best think finances should be handled.

It sounded like most of the people in our group are either agnostic, athiest or non practicing christians.(One person eluding to atheism being arrogant. Remind me to tell you about that.) Yeah...alcohol got us all talking deep one night. So, we sure weren't a group interested in legislating morality. There are people like me who are pro-life, pro gay marriage. Freaks, ya know. My gay brother was there, but he was too big of a stick in the mud to even think about going skinny dipping. He'd have to touch the sand with his feet.

I know its just me, but I just can't wrap my head around it.

I do understand that it probably wasn't the best time and place bc he was representing the US. I get that. I just don't get why it was such a big deal.
I don't think it's a big deal. I just think it's a tacky and unprofessional thing to do on a business trip. And it does kind of make you look like a flaming hypocrite if you've gotten elected by appealing to the religious right.

I've done my share of skinny dipping so I agree it's nothing awful. It's a human body. Big deal. On the other hand if I'd done it on a business trip (which I haven't done and have NO intention of doing in the future) I could see why the company would be upset.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:21 PM   #12966

Quote:
Originally Posted by PH in VA View Post
Reading through the various syllabuses (syllabi?) YDS brought home... and here is a verbatim quote from one of them:

"EVERYONE MAKES MISTAKES. If you do make a mistake, learn form that mistake. Fix it and move on."

I am so laughing!!!
SOOOO hoping it was done on purpose!!!
Old 08-20-2012, 05:29 PM   #12967
blaBBermouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinois Marge View Post
See, I could NEVER do that.

But then I could NEVER go without panties either....
Like not even to bed?
Old 08-20-2012, 05:32 PM   #12968
blaBBermouth

Have a good night at work, V!
Old 08-20-2012, 05:33 PM   #12969
blaBBermouth

I should probably get going too. I'm beat. DH is feeding D and trying to get her to settle in for the night. She's already been down once, but didn't stay asleep. She's almost a year old. I really really wish she would sleep through the night at some point soon.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:33 PM   #12970
blaBBermouth

Wrose, I'm in a book club and the first book is Wicked. Has DD ever read the books from that series? There are four of them. I had no idea. Wicked is the only one on our list, but I plan to read the other three if I like Wicked.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:56 PM   #12971
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Band Mom

I have to say that the idea of NOT filling out loads of back-to-school paperwork really takes the bittersweetness out of knowing that between my two kids, there are only four more first days of school.

Well, except for college... and I'm sure that will come with a whole new dose of stuff.

But I will be SO glad to be free of our school system's paperwork.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:04 PM   #12972
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Like not even to bed?
Just by myself, no, not even in bed.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:06 PM   #12973
Band Mom

Re: the skinny dipping...

I've never done it, personally.

If it's a group of peers having fun on vacation, and they're all OK with the idea, IMO it's not a big deal.

If you're representing your country on a business trip, and you're doing it in a body of water known to be a religiously significant place, IMO it's not such a good idea. Especially if you're known for conservative moral values. Like Jane said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy otter View Post
If you're trying to get elected by making a big deal of your conservative moral values, running around naked in public while on a business trip--even if it's dark--is probably not the best way to show you're walking the walk.
And FWIW, around here, Yoder is a fairly popular surname in the Mennonite communities. Based on what I know about that religion, I don't think they'd condone skinny dipping.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:23 PM   #12974
Band Mom

Quote:
maybe it was on purpose
Well, YDS's teacher's name was on the front page of that one, and then on the second page it said to return it to a different teacher who doesn't teach on YDS's team. So apparently some syllabus CASEing was going on there! LOL

ODS has to return a "we have read the syllabus and understand the course expectations" form for each of his four subjects too. One teacher had signed her form before copying it - but she never stated on her syllabus what subject she teaches. One other teacher hadn't signed her form, and on the top she had her married name and on the bottom she had her maiden name. LOL (She just got married over the summer.) The other two, I had to go over with ODS so he'd know which teacher was supposed to receive them.

Based on some of the stuff I see from the teachers, it makes me hope the kids are getting a good education.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:39 PM   #12975
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Quote:
Did you have to text him a photo of the brownies as proof? LOL
Thankfully no. Because they are just now in the oven!

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
Old 08-20-2012, 06:41 PM   #12976

Quote:
Really I care so little about skinny dipping. Especially now if I did it it would be more like chubby floating.
Bwa ha ha ha ha

Old 08-20-2012, 06:43 PM   #12977

Quote:
Wrose, I'm in a book club and the first book is Wicked. Has DD ever read the books from that series? There are four of them. I had no idea. Wicked is the only one on our list, but I plan to read the other three if I like Wicked.
Yes there are several and she has them all.

She often got asked which she liked the best, book or show. She always said she loved them both, they were different.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:45 PM   #12978

Amber, she said to tell you that the beginning of #1 (Wicked) is a bit tough but to stick it out.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:46 PM   #12979

Quote:
I have to say that the idea of NOT filling out loads of back-to-school paperwork really takes the bittersweetness out of knowing that between my two kids, there are only four more first days of school.

Well, except for college... and I'm sure that will come with a whole new dose of stuff.

But I will be SO glad to be free of our school system's paperwork.
I had to do paperwork through high school; you'd think Silicon Valley schools would be computerized. Heck in 1997, before we left Florida, they had gone to computers and we got printouts and just had to update and change.

But college seems to have been all done by the kids, mostly online. Yay.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:47 PM   #12980
Band Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose View Post
Thankfully no. Because they are just now in the oven!
Well you could have sent him a photo of the batter mixed up. Just sayin'.

But maybe you are hoping they will still be warm from the oven when he gets home?
Old 08-20-2012, 06:56 PM   #12981
Band Mom

Quote:
I had to do paperwork through high school; you'd think Silicon Valley schools would be computerized. Heck in 1997, before we left Florida, they had gone to computers and we got printouts and just had to update and change.
One thing about the paperwork that got to me this year...

Each year when we go to pay the fees, they hand you a piece of paper with all the parents' contact info and emergency contact info printed on it, and ask you to confirm whether or not it's correct.

When I paid YDS's fees this year, the middle school had DH listed as working at his former employer, with their phone number. DH has been at his current place of work the entire time YDS has been in middle school.

So it appeared that the middle school was still using info given to them by the elementary school two years ago.

I told the lady that was outdated info, and asked if she wanted me to correct it. She said, "No, we'll get that when you return the emergency contact card."

Yes - the same emergency contact card that I've been filling out and returning the past two years.

Frustrating.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:03 PM   #12982

Quote:
Well, he didn't specifically say they were arrogant, but it sounded implied. THough he didn't imply it in a negative way. Kind of hard to explain. It was more philosophical than accusatory, if that makes sense.

We were all sitting around the hot tub hanging out and drinking, which led to some deep late night discussions. Someone says they're surprised that DH and I are partying with them because they always assumed we were super religious. I snorted into my drink and DH laughed a little. We said "yeah, people always think that because we have a big family, we must be religious". Folks go on to say its not just because we have a big family, but also because of our kids names and because we have such strict rules about manners. I guess our kids do have seemingly religous names, but really they are named after people.

I go on to say that the assumption that we have a large family because of religion really couldn't be farther from the truth. Blah blah...people start discussing ways they were brought up and whether or not they still identify with the church etc. So, someone just comes out and asks me what religion we are. I said "really, I don't discuss this kind of thing often, but for tonight and you guys, I will." I go on to tell them that I mostly identify myself as being an atheist, but I don't dismiss others' religious beliefs etc. I was then met with this question(again, not in a rude way, just in a nice discussion as a group way)...

"Really? An atheist? So, there's nothing bigger than you?"

Kind of sounded like atheists were arrogant by thinking there is nothing bigger than them.

I explained to him that it wasn't that I necessarily thought there was nothing bigger than me, but that I just didn't believe that whatever was bigger than me existed in the form of a deity. Mostly, I believe I just don't really care about how I got here and I'm totally ok with not knowing. We went on to talk about how when I was a kid I just went through the motions etc. Apparently they attend their church because of the family focus and not necessarily for the religious aspect. While they do believe in a deity, they don't necessarily believe in the Bible verbatim.

It was actually a really respectful conversation with a large group of people. Amazing really. I could never have conversations like that with the company I keep around here. But in PR...anything goes! HAHAH
Interesting! Nice to have those kinds of conversations.

Hmmmm, something bigger than me. Not sure what that has to do with being an atheist. I think love might be bigger than me. I think the power of humanity might be bigger than me, the capacity for generosity, lots of things.

It's the supernatural thing that I don't believe in. Pretty simple and pretty basic.

Did you ask your friend if he still believes in Santa Claus? The clearest way for me to elucidate it is that I think of God as Santa Claus for grown-ups, but that's really over-simplifying, and sounds insulting, so that's not right either. But it's a good starting point sometimes with friends or people who know you don't mean to be insulting, and are just looking for a starting point.

Does that make any sense? I do try to not be an obnoxious atheist. I understand the process I went through, and 50 years of being a Catholic. I wasn't raised fundamental either - I clearly remember the nuns telling us about Genesis and how God created the universe in seven days, and then saying that a day for God could be ... millions of years. That we just didn't know. I learned about biology and evolution too, in 8 years of Catholic grade school and four years of Catholic High School. They never discouraged us from thinking about things or asking questions. And the Jesuits, even more so. But that was in the 50s, 60s and 70s and I'm not sure it's still the same church, KWIM?

Last edited by Stampin Wrose; 08-20-2012 at 08:03 PM..
Old 08-20-2012, 07:05 PM   #12983

Quote:
Well you could have sent him a photo of the batter mixed up. Just sayin'.

But maybe you are hoping they will still be warm from the oven when he gets home?
Oh! I could send a pic now, he's in Denver, delayed an hour, will arrive at 12:30 a.m. instead of 11:30 (waiting on arrival of crew; this is United again).

I didn't even have the batter mixed before he took off! lol

We actually did figure we could take one with us, but they won't still be warm.

Last edited by Stampin Wrose; 08-20-2012 at 08:03 PM..
Old 08-20-2012, 07:34 PM   #12984

Thanks for the idea, PH. I sent the pic of the brownies.

He sent back a pic of the Domino's pizza he's enjoying!

Old 08-20-2012, 07:56 PM   #12985
Band Mom

And of course there were bus problems today too.

We had heard at the end of last school year that our beloved, uber-prompt, fantastic bus driver was probably not going to be driving our route again this year. So I wasn't incredibly surprised to receive a phone call last week from a different driver.

I didn't recognize the phone number when it came up on the caller ID, so I let the machine pick up. The voice sounded like an older man's drawl and this is pretty much a direct quote (I'd play it back to make sure but everyone else here is asleep):

"This is John [last name unintelligible] from [county's name] public schools transportation department. I'll be driving your bus this year and will pick up your students between 7:10 and 7:15 on Monday morning. Thank you."

I didn't see any need to call him back, so I didn't.

So this morning I was watching from the back of the house (because the bus started coming from the back side after last year's fiasco was settled) and the boys were watching out the front door. Turns out the bus comes from the same direction as last year (so when we see YDS's friend J and his brother get on, YDS and ODS need to start walking out the door). But I noticed although the bus is the same body style, it's a different number. OK. No biggie. We just figured different bus, same route. Goat knows that's happened at least 4 times over the last 11 years with the elementary bus that goes through here.

It didn't dawn on us that the afternoon plans could be changed. After all, the bus has been doing the exact same afternoon route through our part of the neighborhood ever since ODS started middle school in 2007. And because before that, the kids in houses by ours got off the middle school bus about the same time that ODS and YDS always did, it seems easy to reason that the bus has done the same afternoon route for the last 16 years that I've been at home in the afternoons.

Um... NO. Not this year.

Instead of starting at the elementary school and taking a load of elementary kids home, then picking up the high school and then the middle school kids and taking them home, now the bus starts off at the middle school. And then apparently goes to the high school. And then to the elementary school. And then it starts taking all the kids home.

And since neither of my kids knew that, they both missed the bus this afternoon.

YDS heard someone (I don't know who, but one of the adults at school) call out his bus number for first tone. But since he's been third tone the last two years he didn't realize that he needed to go ahead and get on it at first tone.

Similar story for ODS - he didn't know he'd been switched this year to his school's first tone.

So I had to go pick the boys up.

I'd been watching, since I know the buses tend to run late on the first day. Since the elementary bus was 10 minutes late I just figured all the buses that started out at the elementary school were behind. So when YDS called and said he missed the bus, I had a hard time believing it because of how the bus has run in the past. I just figured he wasn't waiting long enough for it to get to school to pick him up.

So I still don't know what time to expect the boys home from school when they ride the bus, because I never saw it this afternoon. I guess it came after I'd left to pick them up.

And they won't be on the bus tomorrow afternoon because they have marching band practice.

They've never been on a bus with all 13 grades before, so they were surprised when the elementary kids started getting on it this morning. Since my kids are older, I guess I don't mind it much. The elementary school kids are all from the other subdivision. I wouldn't be too happy if I were one of their parents, to have their schedule changed from just elementary kids on the bus to all the grades.

And I think it would have been a really nice thing if the driver had mentioned the changes when he called - especially the afternoon change. I'm kinda ticked about that. (eta: He didn't even say in his message what bus number he was driving. WTH. Don't you think that would be considered important info, especially since it's a different bus number than the one that's been covering this route for the last 16 years?)

Last edited by PH in VA; 08-20-2012 at 08:04 PM..
Old 08-20-2012, 08:04 PM   #12986

Excuse all the editing, just deleting extra spaces. lol

Old 08-20-2012, 08:06 PM   #12987

Man PH, what a PITA.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:59 PM   #12988
Her Royal Awesomeness of Shiner Bock PTA Pirate Land

really?
first day officially back at work and y'all blab 3 pages worth.....

screw all of you....

2013 Scrapping Goal 48 pages
To date 20 completed!

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Old 08-20-2012, 09:15 PM   #12989

Ha ha ha ha ha

Welcome back to the school year, E.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:33 AM   #12990

DS is home. Flight got in just before 1 a.m. instead of 11:30 p.m. Carry on luggage only so pretty quick. Pretty quiet at the airport too and not much traffic.

Old 08-21-2012, 05:16 AM   #12991
blaBBermouth

Quote:
Interesting! Nice to have those kinds of conversations.

Hmmmm, something bigger than me. Not sure what that has to do with being an atheist. I think love might be bigger than me. I think the power of humanity might be bigger than me, the capacity for generosity, lots of things.

It's the supernatural thing that I don't believe in. Pretty simple and pretty basic.

Did you ask your friend if he still believes in Santa Claus? The clearest way for me to elucidate it is that I think of God as Santa Claus for grown-ups, but that's really over-simplifying, and sounds insulting, so that's not right either. But it's a good starting point sometimes with friends or people who know you don't mean to be insulting, and are just looking for a starting point.

Does that make any sense? I do try to not be an obnoxious atheist. I understand the process I went through, and 50 years of being a Catholic. I wasn't raised fundamental either - I clearly remember the nuns telling us about Genesis and how God created the universe in seven days, and then saying that a day for God could be ... millions of years. That we just didn't know. I learned about biology and evolution too, in 8 years of Catholic grade school and four years of Catholic High School. They never discouraged us from thinking about things or asking questions. And the Jesuits, even more so. But that was in the 50s, 60s and 70s and I'm not sure it's still the same church, KWIM?
Ya know, we don't do Santa Claus either and the assumption is that we don't do it because of religious reasons. I'm not a tooth fairy or Easter bunny person either. Of course, the kids believe anyway because of outside influence. But we don't encourage the belief in things that aren't provable...maybe that's the word I'm looking for.

I'm mostly about any person believing whatever they feel in their heart, but not thrusting that belief onto another person as a truth and the ONLY truth.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:36 PM   #12992

Quote:
Ya know, we don't do Santa Claus either and the assumption is that we don't do it because of religious reasons. I'm not a tooth fairy or Easter bunny person either. Of course, the kids believe anyway because of outside influence. But we don't encourage the belief in things that aren't provable...maybe that's the word I'm looking for.

I'm mostly about any person believing whatever they feel in their heart, but not thrusting that belief onto another person as a truth and the ONLY truth.
Makes perfect sense to me!

Old 08-21-2012, 04:33 PM   #12993

4 posts - much better.
you are all forgiven.

To date 20 completed!

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Old 08-21-2012, 04:35 PM   #12994

watching the lorax with my big baby girl... (i'm still in denial over this stupid teenage thing)

devastated that she wouldn't let me hold her hand and help her get her text books...

UNTIL she decided the dang books were too heavy so then it was okay for me to come and help... little turd!

To date 20 completed!

Old 08-21-2012, 04:35 PM   #12995

icing my foot - it's about 20 sizes swollen today..

i tried to do the 5-10 minute sitting down after standing for an hour... i'm not sure that's going to work... ugh.

To date 20 completed!

Old 08-21-2012, 05:25 PM   #12996

E, sorry to hear the foot is giving you grief.

Old 08-21-2012, 05:25 PM   #12997
neglecting the kids and housework

E take care of yourself!
Old 08-21-2012, 05:43 PM   #12998
blaBBermouth

E, sorry to hear the foot still hurts.

Not a fan of Lorax. I thought it was dumb. DS2 loves it, though.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:44 PM   #12999
blaBBermouth

PH, was the bus situation better today?
Old 08-21-2012, 05:50 PM   #13000
Band Mom

Glancing through the student handbook, I found this. Is it just me, or do the first and third sentences contradict each other?

Displaying Affection - Holding hands is considered to be an appropriate display of affection between students. All other forms of physical touching are not acceptable. Middle School students may not have any public display of affection including hand holding.