Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2010, 04:06 PM   #161
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol Lee View Post
Wait it's 9 now!
I knew I was cold when I walked Shadow at 4pm!

Guess I can pull out my new Land's End balaclava (i.e., face mask) for his bedtime walk....
Old 12-05-2010, 04:07 PM   #162
blaBBermouth

Quote:
I agree. We're trying to come up with something. It's just bad because my paycheck is automatically deposited in the account and bills are automatically pulled out of there.

Water has gone up, and electricity, groceries have gone sky high. There's no reason for this. That's why we tried to do the one list thing but it still didn't work. She eats more than any person I've ever seen.

Mom said she's not to stop at Walmart anymore unless we've said she should. So we'll see. It's just so crazy.
Question...if I made you a coupon binder, would you use it? I know that it would be just one more job for you to do. Its time consuming and takes a lot of planning, but it can really save a load of dough.

Oh...how much money did I save this week you ask. Well, I didn't want to brag, but since you asked...I saved $118 this week at Kroger. I got 40 pouches of Bumble Bee Albacore Tuna, 2 pkgs of disposable diapers, 4 boxes poptarts, a 20lb ham, 36 jars of organic baby food....$31.99 The tuna was not only free, but I MADE $.50 per pouch(for a total of $20!) and was able to use that overage toward the other stuff on my list.

Now, a little tip on the cooking...hams are on sale right now. Pick one up. I purchased a great quality ham for $1.49 per pound. That's cheaper than ground chuck, and much healthier. I got a 20lb ham because I feed a lot of people on Christmas morning, but I usually get at least a 15 for just my family. We will easily eat five meals off of that ham, plus various lunches. We'll eat it the day I bake it. Then, have leftover ham and sides one night. I'll make omelets one evening-breakfast for dinner. I've got a casserole I make that includes ham. I'll make ham and soup beans one night. Basically, we will eat some sort of ham oriented dinner at least every other night or until we're tired of ham. Then, I'll put the rest in the freezer and pull it out another time. I estimate that a "ham" week(eating "ham" for 5 out of 7 meals-subbing another protein the other days) complete with side dishes and ingredients for other meals will cost me about $40, for the entire week for six people. I'll base my sides around whatever fresh veggies are on sale that week or whatever frozen ones I have on hand or can get for free or nearly free by combing sale prices with coupons. I have several proteins that I prepare for weeks-like "chicken week" and "pork loin week". I can give you more ideas if you are interested.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:07 PM   #163
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy otter View Post
SOLD!!!
Does that mean you want one too?

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 12-05-2010, 04:10 PM   #164
Stazon Splitcoast

So Carol, do you want to come up Sat Dec 18 or Sun Dec 19? I think Amber gave a deadline of the 15th for stuff to get to me. (Amber correct me if wrong)

There is about a 25% chance I might need to drive to U of I on the Saturday to get Steve for winter break. Usually I do the return trip though, and roomie's mother picks them up.

So I think the Sunday might be safest. What do you think?
Old 12-05-2010, 04:16 PM   #165
blaBBermouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinois Marge View Post
OK, I got the gifts I bought for Girl & Boy wrapped. (The clothes, PJs, and video games). Purty, eh?
WOW! Gorgeous! You're going to make my wrap job look like poo.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:19 PM   #166
blaBBermouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose View Post
I just know that it's cheaper here if you go during the day and not at night. I can get my ticket down to $6 if I go to the first show of the day, but everything else is 7.50 and up.

Oh here it is:

Adult Evening $10.50

Adult Fri/Sat after 6pm (*Price also applies to Special Advance Showings)
$10.75

Child (1-11) /Senior (62+)
$7.75

Adult Matinee before 6pm (Sat/Sun/Holidays before 2pm)
$8.75

Early Bird 1st Matinee Showtime (7 days a week). Note: Check below for multiple listings of a movie (i.e. DLP, Digital, Regular, 3D, etc.) to find first showtime.
$6.25

Seniors Day All Day Monday any movie, any showtime
$6.25

Student (with valid ID)
$9.50

3D Attraction - Normal Ticket Price Plus Premium
$3.00

DANG! That first show went up to $6.25!!!
We can go to a movie before noon on Sundays for $5. I think matinee rates(anytime before 4pm) are 9.50 for adults, 7.50 for kids. Still, even for the $5 sunday movies, we've spent $25 just walking in the door. DH and DD spent almost $40 seeing Harry Potter. Snacks are really pricey. If I take the kids during the day, the theater has a "Kids Pack" that has a small soda, small popcorn and a fun size candy for $3.50. It all comes in a handy lap tray style box. You can only get that during the day, though.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:21 PM   #167
Stazon Splitcoast

Amber, you are amazing with the grocery & coupon planning.

I'm afraid with me its head to the grocery store on the way home from work...I do of course comparison shop for the best deal on the shelf, but not like you do with the planning.

That's time consuming but obviously has big payback.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:22 PM   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampinbb View Post
Now, a little tip on the cooking...hams are on sale right now. Pick one up. I purchased a great quality ham for $1.49 per pound. That's cheaper than ground chuck, and much healthier.
I'm not so sure about that, might depend on how you define healthy. I was just remembering that I had recently read something about ham - of course I can't find it now.....

So I just looked up info on WW, and they are pretty similar...

85% ground chuck is 4.2 g fat, 0 carbs, 6.89 g protein, no fiber.
Regular ham is 5.91 g fat, 1.72 carbs, 9.84 protein, no fiber.

Ham is probably saltier, but they are both red meats. I only buy 94% lean beef, and only lean ham too, but I'm guessing at the prices you are talking about, neither is called "lean."

Old 12-05-2010, 04:23 PM   #169
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Question...if I made you a coupon binder, would you use it? I know that it would be just one more job for you to do. Its time consuming and takes a lot of planning, but it can really save a load of dough.

Oh...how much money did I save this week you ask. Well, I didn't want to brag, but since you asked...I saved $118 this week at Kroger. I got 40 pouches of Bumble Bee Albacore Tuna, 2 pkgs of disposable diapers, 4 boxes poptarts, a 20lb ham, 36 jars of organic baby food....$31.99 The tuna was not only free, but I MADE $.50 per pouch(for a total of $20!) and was able to use that overage toward the other stuff on my list.

Now, a little tip on the cooking...hams are on sale right now. Pick one up. I purchased a great quality ham for $1.49 per pound. That's cheaper than ground chuck, and much healthier. I got a 20lb ham because I feed a lot of people on Christmas morning, but I usually get at least a 15 for just my family. We will easily eat five meals off of that ham, plus various lunches. We'll eat it the day I bake it. Then, have leftover ham and sides one night. I'll make omelets one evening-breakfast for dinner. I've got a casserole I make that includes ham. I'll make ham and soup beans one night. Basically, we will eat some sort of ham oriented dinner at least every other night or until we're tired of ham. Then, I'll put the rest in the freezer and pull it out another time. I estimate that a "ham" week(eating "ham" for 5 out of 7 meals-subbing another protein the other days) complete with side dishes and ingredients for other meals will cost me about $40, for the entire week for six people. I'll base my sides around whatever fresh veggies are on sale that week or whatever frozen ones I have on hand or can get for free or nearly free by combing sale prices with coupons. I have several proteins that I prepare for weeks-like "chicken week" and "pork loin week". I can give you more ideas if you are interested.
I don't understand how you do that. I know you and V save lots but I can't ever do that. I do try to buy big things that I can use. I bought 5 packs of chicklen leg quarters at .58/lb yesterday and I also bought another turkey that was .68/lb. I bought those turkey wings and made soup which went through 3 meals.

When I bake a ham I usually do ham loaf, ham and beans and cornbread, ham omelettes, etc.

But I don't get how you save so much.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:24 PM   #170

Quote:
We can go to a movie before noon on Sundays for $5. I think matinee rates(anytime before 4pm) are 9.50 for adults, 7.50 for kids. Still, even for the $5 sunday movies, we've spent $25 just walking in the door. DH and DD spent almost $40 seeing Harry Potter. Snacks are really pricey. If I take the kids during the day, the theater has a "Kids Pack" that has a small soda, small popcorn and a fun size candy for $3.50. It all comes in a handy lap tray style box. You can only get that during the day, though.
I never get snacks at the movie, never have. Just not a habit I ever got into.

Old 12-05-2010, 04:24 PM   #171
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
So Carol, do you want to come up Sat Dec 18 or Sun Dec 19? I think Amber gave a deadline of the 15th for stuff to get to me. (Amber correct me if wrong)

There is about a 25% chance I might need to drive to U of I on the Saturday to get Steve for winter break. Usually I do the return trip though, and roomie's mother picks them up.

Sounds good to me!
Old 12-05-2010, 04:26 PM   #172
blaBBermouth

Quote:

I thought that sounded best. Does that sound ok? That way if anything got lost in transit, it would have a few days to recover and not be late for Christmas.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:27 PM   #173
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Sounds good to me!
So the Sunday?

If you think Girl would have fun, please bring her along.

I could do a simple sandwich lunch if you like, nothing fancy....

Last edited by Illinois Marge; 12-05-2010 at 04:31 PM..
Old 12-05-2010, 04:28 PM   #174

Quote:

Am I sending stuff to Amber or Marge?

Old 12-05-2010, 04:28 PM   #175
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
I thought that sounded best. Does that sound ok? That way if anything got lost in transit, it would have a few days to recover and not be late for Christmas.
The 15th deadline sounds fine. I just wanted to confirm because my memory sucks.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:28 PM   #176
blaBBermouth

Computer is crapping out. Be back in a bit.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:29 PM   #177
neglecting the kids and housework

Quote:
I don't understand how you do that. I know you and V save lots but I can't ever do that. I do try to buy big things that I can use. I bought 5 packs of chicklen leg quarters at .58/lb yesterday and I also bought another turkey that was .68/lb. I bought those turkey wings and made soup which went through 3 meals.

When I bake a ham I usually do ham loaf, ham and beans and cornbread, ham omelettes, etc.

Heck BB make me look like a chump LOL
I hover around 50% savings. And I rarely buy something new because I have a coupon. Advertisers worst nightmare LOL

I treat it like a job. I spent $109 yesterday. That should get us to after Christmas. But I will have to buy FOR Christmas which I've budgeted in but will still suck LOL. I'm recosidering asking for people to bring things, especially since two families have already asked.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:29 PM   #178
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Marge
Old 12-05-2010, 04:30 PM   #179
blaBBermouth

Quote:

I'm afraid with me its head to the grocery store on the way home from work...I do of course comparison shop for the best deal on the shelf, but not like you do with the planning.

It can be really time consuming, but worth it for us. As my mother used to say...I've got more time than money.

I took some classes and follow a website that is tailored to my area and it helps make things easier.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:33 PM   #180

Quote:
Straight to Marge if it's something that is ready for delivery.

Originally I was going to send money to BB but then I changed my mind.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:35 PM   #181
blaBBermouth

Quote:
I'm not so sure about that, might depend on how you define healthy. I was just remembering that I had recently read something about ham - of course I can't find it now.....

So I just looked up info on WW, and they are pretty similar...

85% ground chuck is 4.2 g fat, 0 carbs, 6.89 g protein, no fiber.
Regular ham is 5.91 g fat, 1.72 carbs, 9.84 protein, no fiber.

Ham is probably saltier, but they are both red meats. I only buy 94% lean beef, and only lean ham too, but I'm guessing at the prices you are talking about, neither is called "lean."
For us, its more about cholesterol. Not so much about fat content and fiber. That's important, but definitely secondary. DH's doctor wants him to eat pretty much zero red meat and he doesn't consider pork a red meat.

I can't buy the lean beef. While I know it is healthier, it doesn't have enough taste and the price is crazy high. I can purchase ground turkey better price.

The ham I was talking about is a whole, bone in ham. So, parts of it will be lean, parts of it will be fattier. One would have to slice it to their liking.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:35 PM   #182

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewsplendidstamper View Post
Heck BB make me look like a chump LOL
I hover around 50% savings. And I rarely buy something new because I have a coupon. Advertisers worst nightmare LOL

I treat it like a job. I spent $109 yesterday. That should get us to after Christmas. But I will have to buy FOR Christmas which I've budgeted in but will still suck LOL. I'm recosidering asking for people to bring things, especially since two families have already asked.
I think that's great, letting people bring something. Heck if nothing else, they have one thing they know they like.

I just got an email about bunko this Sat., and the menu.

Ham w/ pineapple, yams, mac & cheese, potatoes, rolls, green salad, "appetizers" and "dessert."

The girl bringing the green salad invariable puts the dressing on with it. The yams will probably be candied. The dessert is being made by someone who has a dessert business.

And almost everyone there is way bigger than I ever was.

So - I will go not starving, eat minute amounts, I was looking up ham before, Amber, and it's 3 points for two ounces unless it's lean. Not sure about the pineapple.. I'm sure it won't be "fresh." *sigh*

Old 12-05-2010, 04:36 PM   #183

Quote:
Marge
Danke. I thought so but am easily confused.

Old 12-05-2010, 04:40 PM   #184
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
So the Sunday?

If you think Girl would have fun, please bring her along.

I could do a simple sandwich lunch if you like, nothing fancy....
Don't go to any trouble for me. If Girl is around, she can come if she'd like.

I asked her, she wants to come. Pretty much if the van goes, she's in it.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:40 PM   #185
Directionally Challenged Parrothead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmscoping View Post
it's a pita. -- but you can still do it. get your own account or get sister off the account that has your money in it - if she blows her 600 - then she blows her 600. but if she blows all that you have... then you all starve.

get her out of your money.
Carol, I have to agree with Marge and E. As much of a pain as it would be to change your payroll and all the automatic bills, your sister draining the joint account would be far, far more of a problem.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:43 PM   #186
Stazon Splitcoast

I have done things today I have never done and never want to do again. We're having issues here today...my poor mom, the chemo gave her diarrhea so they said take immodium. I NEVER take that stuff because it messes me up...well it messed her up. Now she has some giant hemorrhoid and so I ran to get suppositories to try to help her go, plus we tried an enema, and some kind of lubricant. Nothing yet. She is so miserable. I feel like they aren't going to do her chemo on Friday because she's just not well.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:43 PM   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
Hi Marge! No, I've been so busy that I had to cut down on some of my internet time. Thought I'd check in and see how y'all are doing. And now I'm furious... can't imagine why.

Going to ebay now to look for a cheap piano....
Good to see you Helen!

Maybe we can stock up on cheap pianos... we may be needing them...
Old 12-05-2010, 04:44 PM   #188
Stazon Splitcoast

It's been an extremely stressful day...I just want to go to bed. I need to find another blanket.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:45 PM   #189
blaBBermouth

Quote:

Its kind of a game, really. Its all about combining the rock bottom sale price(that the store offers) and combining it with a coupon. I'm guessing that your Kroger sale this past week was different from mine. But, we'll pretend its the same for this scenario.

Kroger had a 10 item mega event. So, if you purchased ten participating items, $5 was automatically deducted from your bill.

Bumble Bee Tuna-$.99 with card
If purchased ten-.$.49 with card

Bumble Bee Tuna Coupon-.$.55, doubles up to $1(your store may not double. Mine does.)

So, for every tuna that I "purchased" I made $.51. Kroger will only give overage during a mega sale and not all Kroger stores do this. I had to go to the one in the next town over to get my overage because the one closest to me does not. Still, it was totally worth it. I knew that the tuna was on sale and free with a coupon, so I took that opportunity to stockpile tuna. Ideally, you want to stockpile when you can purchase an item at rock bottom price. So, I purchased 40 pouches. When I saw the sale, I went to ebay and purchased 40 coupons.

Basically, I follow this same method with any item that my family eats on a regular basis. The key is to know what rock bottom sale prices are for your particular stores. I've kind of got it down to a science now.

I've had a couple people say to me "I don't have any place to put all of that." Well, for several thousand dollars a year in savings...I found a place.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:45 PM   #190

Quote:
For us, its more about cholesterol. Not so much about fat content and fiber. That's important, but definitely secondary. DH's doctor wants him to eat pretty much zero red meat and he doesn't consider pork a red meat.

I can't buy the lean beef. While I know it is healthier, it doesn't have enough taste and the price is crazy high. I can purchase ground turkey better price.

The ham I was talking about is a whole, bone in ham. So, parts of it will be lean, parts of it will be fattier. One would have to slice it to their liking.
Ahh, your doctor subscribes to The Other White Meat of the pork association. lol

Well all I can find is that there is disagreement about pork.

But I found this on Wiki:

Quote:
The main determinant of the nutritional definition of the color of meat is the concentration of myoglobin. The white meat of chicken has under 0.05%; chicken thigh has 0.18-0.20%; pork and veal have 0.1-0.3%; young beef has 0.4-1.0%; and old beef has 1.5-2.0%.

According to the USDA all meats obtained from livestock are red meats because they contain more myoglobin than chicken or fish.
And this link lists ham in the list of sources of cholesterol:
Cholesterol

*shrugs*

Old 12-05-2010, 04:48 PM   #191

Quote:

I think it's way more helpful if you have a family of six. Probably not so worth it for you, or even for me.

Old 12-05-2010, 04:49 PM   #192

Quote:
So my New York sister is coming to visit over Christmas.

She snores really loud. I can hear her throughout the ENTIRE townhouse.
Um... if I ever make it out your way, I promise I'll get a hotel room, LOL!

When we shared a hotel room with a friend of ours once he said that sleeping in the same room with DH and me was like trying to sleep while Huey helicopters took off and landed all night...
Old 12-05-2010, 04:52 PM   #193
blaBBermouth

Quote:
I have done things today I have never done and never want to do again. We're having issues here today...my poor mom, the chemo gave her diarrhea so they said take immodium. I NEVER take that stuff because it messes me up...well it messed her up. Now she has some giant hemorrhoid and so I ran to get suppositories to try to help her go, plus we tried an enema, and some kind of lubricant. Nothing yet. She is so miserable. I feel like they aren't going to do her chemo on Friday because she's just not well.
Have you tried giving her a stool softner? The next time she takes an immodium try that. I know that probably won't help now.

Poor momma.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:54 PM   #194

*sigh*
I wish I had more money
new MK offerings are cool!
Old 12-05-2010, 04:57 PM   #195

Carol I have kinda kept quiet for a few reasons. Mostly because your situation is totally foreign to me. I'm tight with my siblings and we all pretty much are honest with each other. I can't imagine her not stepping up when her kids and mom need her the most. And I dont' wanna say mean things so I try to keep them in my head. Or I tell DH LOL

BTW DH thinks that we are all pretty awesome people to be so willing and giving to do up christmas Pondie style for the kids. He still fondly talks about all the support you gals gave me thru the pregnancy, baby and his job loss.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:57 PM   #196
blaBBermouth

Quote:
I think it's way more helpful if you have a family of six. Probably not so worth it for you, or even for me.
I know someone who stockpiles for one. She averages $50 a month for her total grocery bill. It probably wouldn't help you all that much, Wrose, because you guys like to eat out a lot. Still, there are always really great coupons for the weight watchers stuff. You won't be able to get any of that free or really inexpensive, but you could probably get it for about 50% off retail. There are always tons of coupons for fiber one bars, too.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:59 PM   #197
blaBBermouth

Ah...finally caught up!
Old 12-05-2010, 05:00 PM   #198
blaBBermouth

We've had a pretty nice weekend. I wish the weekends were longer and the work weeks were shorter.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:03 PM   #199
blaBBermouth

The kids played outside in the snow for a little bit today. Then, all of the sudden DS1 curled up on the couch and said he wasn't feeling good.

Took his temp and turned on the tv for him to rest. He went to sleep for a couple of hours and still wasn't feeling good when he went to bed. Poor thing.

I'm going to keep him home from school tomorrow, even if he is feeling better in the morning. He's not going to be happy about that because tomorrow is the dress rehearsal for their play, which is Tuesday evening.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:03 PM   #200
blaBBermouth

I finally get caught up and I'm all alone?