Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2010, 05:36 AM   #1
Gallery Gazer

Cool SOTTS Pen Pals ... Closed

Welcome Ladies I'm so excited to get this group going. So here's the first post to start us off. Look forward to getting to know you.

Last edited by stampnangel; 08-31-2012 at 08:01 AM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 10-25-2010, 06:09 AM   #2
Gallery Gazer

Does anyone have any other hobbies besides stamping? Mine is pretty much all papercrafting. I enjoy reading when I get a chance but I'm in the middle of 2 books now and trying to get my card to do list done at the same time. I need more hours in a day.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:28 AM   #3
Pearl-ExPert

I love stamping, scrapbooking (oh so behind), beading, cross-stitching, and reading (mysteries mostly). I have a long list of "to do's" also and finishing my holiday cards is top priority right now. I like to make several different ones. I need about 90 of them.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:49 AM   #4
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamper for fun View Post
I love stamping, scrapbooking (oh so behind), beading, cross-stitching, and reading (mysteries mostly). I have a long list of "to do's" also and finishing my holiday cards is top priority right now. I like to make several different ones. I need about 90 of them.
WOW 90 I couldn't imagine having to get that many done. I just started my holiday cards too. I actually got to mark one project off my to do list this morning WOO Hoo for me lol.

I'm a big scrapbooker too. Have been for years, started back before they had decent things to use and my only choice was stickers. Those pages aren't pretty. lol I did redo a heritage scrapbook a few years ago and let me say I will never redo a scrapbook again. It took way too long.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:00 AM   #5
Pearl-ExPert

I started scrapping before stamping and I also have those albums with just cardstock and stickers. And the cardstock was not even the thicker pretty ones we have today. Amazing the choices we have today in both stamping and scrapping supplies.

I former co-worker got me started in scrapbooking and that same person got me started in stamping. I've told her many times that she has made me spend all this money - it's all her fault. LOL. I really can't imagine my life without these papercraft hobbies though.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:32 AM   #6
Gallery Gazer

Address list went out. Hopefully I didnt' make any errors I just copy and pasted LOL but you never know. Hope you're all having a wonderful day
Old 10-25-2010, 10:53 AM   #7
Kookie Creator

Hi there! I am a cake decorator, card maker, jewelry maker and soon to be scrapbooker. I work full time, teach crafting part time and live in NY. I am not great with following on line boards but will try to remember to pop in here from time to time.

****Look here if you enjoy being creative: Learn, make and do crafts!
**** Get free crafting products!
Old 10-25-2010, 03:09 PM   #8
Insane Embellisher

Hi Everyone - I'm so excited to be part of this group and look forward to getting know everyone. I am a stamper/card maker, but also enjoy gardening, genealogy and most of all, my grandchildren. I am currently working full time, so my crafting time is limited, but I do what I can. Will check back with you all later. Have a great evening.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:55 AM   #9
Gallery Gazer

Good Morning Ladies,

Here's a little about me.... I'm a sahm. We have one son who is 5 going on 15 lol He just started Kindergarten this year so that's been an adjustment with homework and stuff. I've been married 14 yrs. I've been scrapbooking for almost as long as I've been married and card making probably the last 7 or 8 yrs. I have way too many stamps LOL Did I really just say that...ok you can never have too many stamps but I am kind of running out room. I swear this hobby is an addiction. Oh and let me raise my hand and say I'm a paper hoarder. Hope I'm not alone in that.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:57 AM   #10
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petu2000 View Post
Hi there! I am a cake decorator, card maker, jewelry maker and soon to be scrapbooker. I work full time, teach crafting part time and live in NY. I am not great with following on line boards but will try to remember to pop in here from time to time.
You sound busy Petu. What kind of crafting do you teach?
Old 10-26-2010, 01:59 AM   #11
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfern View Post
Hi Everyone - I'm so excited to be part of this group and look forward to getting know everyone. I am a stamper/card maker, but also enjoy gardening, genealogy and most of all, my grandchildren. I am currently working full time, so my crafting time is limited, but I do what I can. Will check back with you all later. Have a great evening.
We put in our first vegetable garden last year Barb. This year's garden did much better after we figured out what worked and what didn't. How many grandkids do you have?
Old 10-26-2010, 03:32 AM   #12
Insane Embellisher

Oh, believe me, Carrie, you are definitely not the only one who hoards paper and has way too many stamps! LOL But I sure do enjoy both. I have 4 children, 5 grandchildren and 1 great-grandchild.

Our garden did not do well this year. Our June weather provided a record amount of rain, and not much sun, so our plants just didn't do well. Had lots of tomatoes, but they just didn't get ripe! Oh well - there's always next year. Have a great day everyone - I'm off to get ready for work.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:25 AM   #13
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Oh, believe me, Carrie, you are definitely not the only one who hoards paper and has way too many stamps! LOL But I sure do enjoy both. I have 4 children, 5 grandchildren and 1 great-grandchild.

Our garden did not do well this year. Our June weather provided a record amount of rain, and not much sun, so our plants just didn't do well. Had lots of tomatoes, but they just didn't get ripe! Oh well - there's always next year. Have a great day everyone - I'm off to get ready for work.
We didn't have a lot of rain but our tomatoes didn't do well either. I ended up picking them green and putting them on the window in the kitchen. They ripened in a couple days. I hate tomatoes I only grew them for DH.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:44 AM   #14
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampnangel View Post
Good Morning Ladies,

Here's a little about me.... I'm a sahm. We have one son who is 5 going on 15 lol He just started Kindergarten this year so that's been an adjustment with homework and stuff. I've been married 14 yrs. I've been scrapbooking for almost as long as I've been married and card making probably the last 7 or 8 yrs. I have way too many stamps LOL Did I really just say that...ok you can never have too many stamps but I am kind of running out room. I swear this hobby is an addiction. Oh and let me raise my hand and say I'm a paper hoarder. Hope I'm not alone in that.
Hi ladies,

I definitely do not do anything in the garden -- my DH does the yardwork outside stuff and I do all the inside chores. I've never grown vegetables and I'd probably kill the veggies (as I do with some houseplants).

Sometimes I think I am just a collector. I love to get new stamps but I already have plenty and the same with the designer paper. I tell myself I am "saving" the designer paper for special occasions (what a joke!)

I am thinking of making a new year's resolution of curtailing my purchase of new stamps (notice that I did not say "stop" as I would be failing even before I start the resolution) and trying to use all my stamps I own. I have stamps that have not seen ink yet (I know, terrible). Now this could take quite some time (and I am talking beyond 2011).

I should also include my designer "special occasions" paper, LOL, and my ribbons as my ribbon drawer is completely full.

If I do this resolution I ask for you ladies' support. Keep on me.

Thanks.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:16 AM   #15
Gallery Gazer

I made the same resolution this year. I haven't done too bad with it though buying those dcwv stacks seems to be my downfall. I made a rule when I started stamping that if I bought a stamp then it didn't get put away till it was used. so I have stamps sitting on my desk now that need inked up. It also helps curtail the buying when you see what you haven't even used yet that you've already bought. lol As far as the paper just cut it...I used to do the same thing save it for a special occasion but I found I no longer like some of that paper now and there is always something better coming out
Old 10-27-2010, 05:47 AM   #16
Kookie Creator

Quote:
You sound busy Petu. What kind of crafting do you teach?
I am a Hall of Fame Wilton Method Instructor and have taught Cake Decorating for 10 years at Michael's. It has been wonderful but I signed up to be a SU! demo last year and now I am trying to get scrapbooking and crafty classes going like card making, home decor etc. I also make jewelry like beaded jewelry but have been finding great techniques to use stamps and other items to make jewelry. I'll try and post some to gallery soon.

I am single with no children and am back in school to finish my BS degree. I try to keep busy because it seems if I am not busy I kind of just stop. It's like I need motion to keep my momentum going. Not sure if I am explaining myself well.

I have to get back to being busy at home though. My house is a mess! I need help but I am the type that would need to clean before the housekeeper gets here! Know what I mean? lol!

Old 10-27-2010, 07:01 AM   #17
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Hi ladies,

I definitely do not do anything in the garden -- my DH does the yardwork outside stuff and I do all the inside chores. I've never grown vegetables and I'd probably kill the veggies (as I do with some houseplants).

Sometimes I think I am just a collector. I love to get new stamps but I already have plenty and the same with the designer paper. I tell myself I am "saving" the designer paper for special occasions (what a joke!)

I am thinking of making a new year's resolution of curtailing my purchase of new stamps (notice that I did not say "stop" as I would be failing even before I start the resolution) and trying to use all my stamps I own. I have stamps that have not seen ink yet (I know, terrible). Now this could take quite some time (and I am talking beyond 2011).

I should also include my designer "special occasions" paper, LOL, and my ribbons as my ribbon drawer is completely full.

If I do this resolution I ask for you ladies' support. Keep on me.

Thanks.
I know what you mean! I buy much more than I use and in the Spring I started tallying up my spend vs use. I allot myself a "payment" per project, like a card is $1 and etc for various items and tasks like posting pictures of my work or submitting to a magazine. It is a good way of being aware of exactly how much I spend(OMG!) and how I use what I spend. I feel more motivated to do things when I see exactly how much I have spent. I have joined alot of swaps, I joined the BRAK committee on SCS to send out Bday cards every month. I am donating alot of cards to a friends charity drive in Dec. I belong to Your Paper Pantry.Ning which has some great swaps for more than cards.

My biggest problem is I can't resist a bargain and haul video's on Youtube are dangerous especially when it's a bargain alert for BigLots or TuesdayMorning or Michael's! There is a Hobby Lobby about an hour away from me now and my friend and I are planning a trip already. She visited one while in Arizona recently and loved it! I know I shouldn't go, but I get their e-mails all the time and she was really excited about going again. I gotta see what all the fuss is about!

Old 10-27-2010, 07:20 AM   #18
Glitter Queen

Would love to join this group if I may. I am early retired to join my husband in Italy as he continues to work... Tough choice.... We live on a farm and enjoy the benefits of the garden from the farmer. Fresh produce everyday of the year.. Life is good. I love cardmaking and cooking. I am actually becoming pretty good with the Italian cuisine. In my spare time I like to read and am learning to speak Italian.... Hope to hear about everyone's adventures in papercrafting soon. I have a roomful of stamps and papers... I think I qualify for a semi hoarder. I do use quite a bit of my materials. Living in Italy forces this situation because you cannot find the supplies here. I do use online sources a great deal of the time.....
Old 10-27-2010, 06:23 PM   #19
Insane Embellisher

Hi Everyone - Just checking in. Had a busy day at work today. Tomorrow I go to our local craft store and teach a beginner Cricut Class (do any of you use the Cricut). I've been teaching classes for several months now. It's always fun and I usually learn something new from my "beginner" students! LOL Then it's back to my regular job on Friday. This weekend, I hope to do some stamping and complete some SCS swaps, not to mention a few cards I need to complete for a Stamping Club I belong to! Hope you are all having a great week.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:14 AM   #20
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Hi Everyone - Just checking in. Had a busy day at work today. Tomorrow I go to our local craft store and teach a beginner Cricut Class (do any of you use the Cricut). I've been teaching classes for several months now. It's always fun and I usually learn something new from my "beginner" students! LOL Then it's back to my regular job on Friday. This weekend, I hope to do some stamping and complete some SCS swaps, not to mention a few cards I need to complete for a Stamping Club I belong to! Hope you are all having a great week.
Oh I LOVE my cricut Barb. I've had it for about a year and getting the carts for it are just about as addicting as buying stamps...though I will never buy a cart not on sale. I have some of my cricut projects on my blog. What do you teach at your cricut class?
Old 10-28-2010, 02:34 AM   #21
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
I made a rule when I started stamping that if I bought a stamp then it didn't get put away till it was used. so I have stamps sitting on my desk now that need inked up. It also helps curtail the buying when you see what you haven't even used yet that you've already bought.
LOL. I have a round basket (maybe 12" in diameter) on my bookshelf where I put new individual stamps. I try to use those before I put them away. Some have been in there quite a long time. I try to leave my new sets on my desk but eventually there comes a point I put them away because I don't ever seem to have enough room on my table with all the other stamping stuff. Shame on me. OK, I am going to make the new year's resolution.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:37 AM   #22
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
LOL. I have a round basket (maybe 12" in diameter) on my bookshelf where I put new individual stamps. I try to use those before I put them away. Some have been in there quite a long time. I try to leave my new sets on my desk but eventually there comes a point I put them away because I don't ever seem to have enough room on my table with all the other stamping stuff. Shame on me. OK, I am going to make the new year's resolution.
LOL June! I've had a snowman set from Verve on my desk now for 3 months or longer but good news is I'm making christmas cards with it so it will be used soon. Every time I look at my paper stash I cringe at the amount then I tell myself I'll just start wallpapering with it. The good news about the paper is since owning a cricut I use a lot more of it now.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:42 AM   #23
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
I know what you mean! I buy much more than I use and in the Spring I started tallying up my spend vs use. I allot myself a "payment" per project, like a card is $1 and etc for various items and tasks like posting pictures of my work or submitting to a magazine. It is a good way of being aware of exactly how much I spend(OMG!) and how I use what I spend. I feel more motivated to do things when I see exactly how much I have spent. I have joined alot of swaps, I joined the BRAK committee on SCS to send out Bday cards every month. I am donating alot of cards to a friends charity drive in Dec. I belong to Your Paper Pantry.Ning which has some great swaps for more than cards.

My biggest problem is I can't resist a bargain and haul video's on Youtube are dangerous especially when it's a bargain alert for BigLots or TuesdayMorning or Michael's! There is a Hobby Lobby about an hour away from me now and my friend and I are planning a trip already. She visited one while in Arizona recently and loved it! I know I shouldn't go, but I get their e-mails all the time and she was really excited about going again. I gotta see what all the fuss is about!
Your payment allotment sounds interesting but terribly scary to me. It sounds like something I should do but I am afraid of the results -- how much I spend. But I'll have to seriously think about doing this.

I have difficulties passing up a good bargain either. I have resisted not going to the last two LSS sales -- they have terrific prices with stamps for 80% off and some stamps for $.50. And I did pass up the garage sale at the other LSS where stampers sold their oversupply of stuff. Kind of proud of myself for resisting. But think of the deals I passed up.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:46 AM   #24
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
I am a Hall of Fame Wilton Method Instructor and have taught Cake Decorating for 10 years at Michael's. I
Oh, you are one of those talented ladies that decorates cakes like it nothing. I have always admired people who can decorate cakes. My niece is always baking and decorating themed cakes for her two kids. It's interested me but I have never taken the plunge because I can imagine the mess I would make.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:48 AM   #25
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Your payment idea sounds like a good idea. I would be scared to see what my spending vs using amt was LOL What mags do you submit to? I submit my cards also.

I don't have a hobby lobby around me, never been to one. I did get to go to an Archivers once when we took our son to Kings Island amusement park, there was an Archivers down the road. Good thing I don't have one of those I would be broke for sure!
Old 10-28-2010, 02:49 AM   #26
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Oh, you are one of those talented ladies that decorates cakes like it nothing. I have always admired people who can decorate cakes. My niece is always baking and decorating themed cakes for her two kids. It's interested me but I have never taken the plunge because I can imagine the mess I would make.
Same here, I'm one of those you're lucky the icing is on and sometimes I don't wait long enough and have torn the top of the cake because it wasn't cooled. I'm a definitely semi homemade type of gal...nothing from scratch for me.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:52 AM   #27
Pearl-ExPert

Carrie and Barb, I have often thought of buying a Cricut but haven't bought one just yet. There is so much you can do with one but the carts can get mighty expensive so I've talked myself out of it. We shall see how much longer I'll be able to hold out (I guess I'd better use my unused stamps before I go that route LOL)
Old 10-28-2010, 02:55 AM   #28
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Same here, I'm one of those you're lucky the icing is on and sometimes I don't wait long enough and have torn the top of the cake because it wasn't cooled. I'm a definitely semi homemade type of gal...nothing from scratch for me.

LOL, I've done that!!! My DH has been known to come home and ask me "what's that?" on some of the things I've produced in the kitchen. Good thing my stamping is done in my craft room and not in the kitchen.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:57 AM   #29
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Carrie and Barb, I have often thought of buying a Cricut but haven't bought one just yet. There is so much you can do with one but the carts can get mighty expensive so I've talked myself out of it. We shall see how much longer I'll be able to hold out (I guess I'd better use my unused stamps before I go that route LOL)
You can get them at a decent price at Mike's or Jo's when they are on sale. All of mine have been bought on sale. The most I paid for one was 60 because I couldn't wait and it was hard to find at the time and now its everywhere...it would have paid to wait. But they usually run them on sale for 35 or 39. If you shop online you can find them cheaper than that.

I only have the baby bug but wanted to upgrade to the expression. Since I've only had it a year or so though I can't justify the money on the new machine so I'm waiting. If I wait long enough the expression will be dirt cheap LOL I love my cricut.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:59 AM   #30
Gallery Gazer

Well I'm off to get my little one ready for school. Hope you all have a great day and I hope Christina drops by too
Old 10-28-2010, 03:53 AM   #31
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
I have that same round basket on my desk (well, it was there until it overflowed and I put it all on the FLOOR by my desk)! LOL I really must use some of those stamps. It's so hard for me to resist a new really really cute stamp! I guess I'd better jump on the New Year's Resolution train, too!
Old 10-28-2010, 05:09 AM   #32
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
I have that same round basket on my desk (well, it was there until it overflowed and I put it all on the FLOOR by my desk)! LOL I really must use some of those stamps. It's so hard for me to resist a new really really cute stamp! I guess I'd better jump on the New Year's Resolution train, too!
Oh good, I am going to have company and support for my New Year's resolution of not buying and using what I have. Does that mean between now and Dec 31st I can buy and stock pile?
Old 10-28-2010, 05:36 PM   #33
Insane Embellisher

I like your thinking, June! Taught my Cricut class today - it's a beginner's class, so I teach the machine fundamentals - go over all the buttons and we cut a bunch of letters and images. Then we make a card, a bag and a cover for a small journal. It's fun and everyone seems to enjoy it. Anyway - the store had a great deal on cartridges so, of course, I had to get a couple. So I'll have to make sure I have all the things I NEED before December 31st!
Old 10-29-2010, 01:55 AM   #34
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
I like your thinking, June! Taught my Cricut class today - it's a beginner's class, so I teach the machine fundamentals - go over all the buttons and we cut a bunch of letters and images. Then we make a card, a bag and a cover for a small journal. It's fun and everyone seems to enjoy it. Anyway - the store had a great deal on cartridges so, of course, I had to get a couple. So I'll have to make sure I have all the things I NEED before December 31st!
I've never taken a cricut class. the one and only local scrapbook store here used to offer classes but I didn't want to have to drag my own cricut etc. So I just do the trial and error with mine.

What carts did you get? I got the cricut hello thursday in my email, saw they are coming out with 3 new seasonal carts.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:49 AM   #35
Gallery Gazer

Good Morning Everyone, man its cold here. Our high today is only 49. Trick or treat for our town is tomorrow, the weather is supposed to be a little warmer but still chilly. My son usually doesn't last more than an hour so I guess it won't be too bad. Well hope you all have a wonderful day, I'll check back later.
Old 10-29-2010, 03:40 AM   #36
Pearl-ExPert

Good Morning ladies! Gosh 49 high is cold especially by the time it is trick or treat time. Did you make your son a costume?

Barb, I'm so glad you spent yesterday too. I was naughty too and ordered some stamp sets I've been wanting. LOL
Old 10-29-2010, 05:17 AM   #37
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Good Morning ladies! Gosh 49 high is cold especially by the time it is trick or treat time. Did you make your son a costume?

Barb, I'm so glad you spent yesterday too. I was naughty too and ordered some stamp sets I've been wanting. LOL
No I didn't make his costume, he wanted to be Harry Potter so I bought it. He got to wear his costume to school today, they are going to do a parade around the school (just the kindergarten classes) and then have a little party so that will be fun for him.

What sets did you pick up June? I'm waiting on Verve's winter release tonight. I LOVE her stamps. They are so fun and so versatile.

Hollywood (paramount pictures) was in our town for 2 months shooting JJ Abrams movie Super 8 and we had some really chilly weather while they were here towards the end of their stay and I wondered how the LA people felt waking up and it being 35 degrees outside and then having to get ready for a shoot and it would get up to 62 degrees by midday. I guess they would be used to that freak weather though while they are on location.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:32 AM   #38
Pearl-ExPert

I ordered from PaperTrey Ink -- got Big and Bold Wishes (I wanted a set where the greeting was the focal point followed by small font), Calendar Basics (plenty I can do with this not necessarily calendars), and Daily Designs Senitments (many sentiments I do not own today). I also got some cardstock and the Christmas tree die.

Before I order a set I have been trying to ask myself two questions: 1) is it unique (something not easily found with other stamp companies)? 2) do i own a similar set? Not that I always follow my own rules. LOL. But as I go into my new year's resolution of curtailing my purchases I will definitely have to follow this rule plus ask myself 3) do I absolutely LOVE it?

Old 10-29-2010, 05:34 AM   #39
Pearl-ExPert

Do you ladies use Spellbinder dies? If so, do you own their Magnetic placement mat? I was thinking of getting one but did not know if it made the sandwich thicker and harder to roll through.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:52 AM   #40
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by helplessstamper View Post
Would love to join this group if I may. I am early retired to join my husband in Italy as he continues to work... Tough choice.... We live on a farm and enjoy the benefits of the garden from the farmer. Fresh produce everyday of the year.. Life is good. I love cardmaking and cooking. I am actually becoming pretty good with the Italian cuisine. In my spare time I like to read and am learning to speak Italian.... Hope to hear about everyone's adventures in papercrafting soon. I have a roomful of stamps and papers... I think I qualify for a semi hoarder. I do use quite a bit of my materials. Living in Italy forces this situation because you cannot find the supplies here. I do use online sources a great deal of the time.....
Buongiorno, Helpless! I might be able to help you with your Italian, then again... you might able to help me with mine! lol! I speak Italian and even lived in Italy for a year in Calabria. What part do you live in?