Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2011, 12:51 PM   #41
Stazon Splitcoast

Carole, those ATCs are gorgeous! Given me a couple of ideas for one I'm doing for a swap. Thank you.

Robin, have no real idea how long DH is supposed to be away for, it could be 2 weeks or up to a month. Just have to waitand see!

Just spent the last 2 hours on the phone to the UK/Ireland to my elderly aunt and both of my sisters + my DIL. Now it's time for a late lunch and then some creative activity. It's so quiet here, no tv, no male out on his tractor cutting the grass, no doors banging when he comes in and out! Why are men/boys so noisy? Was talking to my sister and she had to shut the door to the room where her DH was watching tv so she could hear me!!! Mind you, I'll probably be moaning about the silence come the end of the week, NOT!

Denise, I need to pare down my stamp collection too!!! I could do with having a sale or maybe I should list them and put them on Ebay/Craig's List. DH won't approve a garage sale so I can't do that. I have a lot of other stuff I could get rid of if we did that. Will check out what my cousins other demos do.

A 50's style wedding, bet it'll be elegant! Might have to find my sewing machine and do something with the material I have stashed away!!

Nice that your girls are into their music, it will stand them in good stead later in life. I wish I had learnt to play the piano when I had the chance but I didn't want to practice. lol

Deb, enjoy your lazy time in Arizona when you go and the shopping too!

Robin, SU and material and all the digi scrapbooking stuff, I can't keep up either! I only bother with the odd stamp set and embellishments these days. I have more than enough here to last me the rest of my lifetime apart from maybe those copics(obviously not SU!)! Gayle and I did a little colouring before I came back to BC!!

Now I really do need lunch. au revoir.

Word for May 2014 : Celebrations
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 07-25-2011, 04:29 AM   #42
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via MSN to laderme Send a message via Yahoo to laderme

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbennett View Post
Wow! You ladies are busy!!
Today is a get it done day here. I got a dress in on Friday to make, for a 50's style wedding, its for the Grandma of the bride. My oldest is off to music camp on Sunday next, and we just signed her up for banjo lessons.
I love that both the girls are into music.
We had a flood here this spring, and all my stamping stuff is piled on top of the table, so one of my goals for the next two weeks is to get it organized and filtered! I need to downsize some things... Robin, where are you sending your things too, and what can they use???
There is a home down around Didsbury that is for youth who have been sexually exploited (prostitution mainly) and rescued/removed from the situation. They go to this home to heal, learn life skills, etc. That is where the supplies are going. I don't have specifics on what they need, all I was asked for was quilting and scrapbooking stuff. But when Bev goes down to deliver these supplies, I will get her to ask if they need more, what they need, and if they need someone to come in and help with projects. I have the security clearance to go into the home, so I would volunteer to atleast give it a try. Let me know if you have some extras once you get things all sorted.

I can't imagine having my house flooded, though I have had a few wet basements due to water heaters in my time. The work involved just makes me shudder.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:43 AM   #43
Die Cut Diva

Ruth - if anyone can get you hooked on Copics, it is Gayle.

Another Monday here. I can't say I accomplished a whole lot on the weekend. It was pretty quiet. I did get my Christmas cards finished up from Olds, and that feels good. Plus I got 2 months of my quilt block of the month done.

Brody and I went for a few walks, and I see that they are starting to build the fencing for the dog park back in behind the woods. I have mixed feelings over it....as a dog lover it is nice to see that there will be a place for them to go off leash in town. As a resident, I am hoping that it won't be too noisy. It is right behind our cemetary and memorial park. Usually people don't go to the cemetary to listen to people yell at their dogs, but then this is Innisfail, and I have had issues with their municipal planning for awhile now. (Just call me cranky)

Too bad I have to go to work today. It is supposed to be a nice day.

Take care....
Old 07-25-2011, 08:26 AM   #44
Stazon Splitcoast

Good morning!

Only been up for half an hour so haven't really got going yet. Disturbed sleep due to the neighbours dogs howling and barking at 2 a.m.! Methinks another salvo to be shot off to the Municipality and the local Animal control and maybe they will take note this time. Another cranky person here, Robin, when it comes to dealing with Municipal departments here. I bet something would get done if it was one of the councillors who lived next door to this hulabaloo!! Sometimes I don't think some of our elected officials have got the sense they were born with, it's all about the 'image'! Rant over! lol

BTW have just tchecked tracking on that package for Didsbury, Robin and it's already out for delivery!

Supposed to be a little cooler today but either way I'm not too bothered as I am going to be spending some quiet time in the coolness of our suite here where I still have a lot of my srtamping stuff set up from when I was making cards for our Hospice Gala. Another reason for being a little cranky, our A/C in the main house has stopped working, DH checked out the unit and apparently it's time for a replacement, the compressor appears to have packed up. Another large expense comng up I fear. Cricut and cardstock, here I come!

Just spoken to DH and he's already up and running, in fact it's lunchtime in Montreal and pretty darn hot already over 28C! Somewhere like that would not be good to have broken A/C.

Better go and do a few chores before turning to more pleasurable pursuits. Might even go into town and get my hair cut short so it's more easily sorted when I get those hottter than hot episodes!

Have a great day, ladies.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:36 PM   #45
Glitter Guru

Speaking of Copics! I don't have any and would like to know if I 'need' them
I have some SU! and some Tombow. What is the difference? And is it worth me looking in to?
Also, speaking of getting woke up! Now that kids are out of school, I have some neighbors that let their kids (approx. 10-12yrs) run about after midnight--when I have just got to sleep and I like my window open. They also jump about inside their house and I can hear the thumping! It's a mobile home park and they are about three trailers over. If it gets too regular, I may have to complain--hate to do that! But, closing my window doesn't help........OK my rant is over now too
Old 07-25-2011, 04:26 PM   #46
Die Cut Diva

I am sooooo happy we live 5 miles out of town with no neighbors to speak of close by. I'm in my own little world, with nobody to bother me -- or me to bother them. And I'm rather lucky that I like my own company so I don't have to complain about me to me. LOL

I do know for a fact though Ruth -- I would not put up with the dogs. Period! You have listened to them now for years and enough is enough. I would complain every day from now on. That is just plain rude of your neighbors to expect the town to put up with this.

The kids Nancy, I'm not so sure about. Wuwt with parents letting kids stay up that late? And you hate to get too miserable with them as they just might let the kids come over and spray paint your house or something.

Again, I LOVE living in the country!
2011 pages Jan 5/10; Feb 4/10; Mar 16/10; Apr 31/10; May 29/10; JUN 15/10; YTD 100/120
My Gallery
Old 07-25-2011, 08:24 PM   #47
Stazon Splitcoast

Deb, I live 15/20 mins from town on a 5 acre lot and that is part of the problem. If I lived in town, I dare say something would be done! It's just that the people next door are hardly ever home and these dogs are penned 24/7 with very little attention/exercise. I'm going to email the mayor and any of the councillors I know + send in a complaint form both to the District and Animal control right now! Apart from these inconsiderate neighbours I love living out here too.

Nancy if you like colouring, copics are so vibrant as compared to SU Markers, watercolour crayons, pencils etc but they are pricey comparitively! I really like them and what you can do with them but not sure if I 'need' them!!! sorry you are getting disturbance with other people kids. Again, like with the dogs, it's the adults fault. Some people just do not have any inkling of consideration for others.

Just about to check my swaps to make sure I'm doing the right thing!! So long since I did any!!

Have a good night , girls, I'm off to sleep in the suite tonight in order to stay cool and also I don't usually hear next doors dogs so much from there!

Old 07-26-2011, 04:52 AM   #48
Die Cut Diva

No barking dogs here last night (though Brody does snore and chase rabbits in his sleep), just a thunderstorm at 2am. Now it is wet, windy and dreary looking.

Copics are very different from anything else. I have tried all of the other methods of coloring, and settled on painting with ink because I like my colors more vibrant, but copics are much easier to use, and I like the look even better. Pricey - you bet. I found a website someplace of basic color combinations that is really good that helps from buying too many until you think they are what you want. Unfortunately, they aren't something that you can try one or two....Big decision to head down that road.

Deb - any verdict on the hot tub yet?

Ruth - is the air getting fixed, or are you going to leave it since you aren't there as much? How does Rex manage in the heat, is he good with it? I have been down east in heat like this, and it isn't pretty.

Hope everyone has a good day....I'm off to work where it is all fun and games right now.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:13 AM   #49
Stazon Splitcoast

Slept quite well in the cool and didn't hear any dogs although that is not to say they didn't bark/howl at some point during the night! Yes, robin we are definitely getting the Air conditioning fixed, the discussion is whether we have a heat pump system or a new AC unit. DH thinks the latter may be more expensive. My job is to check it all out! He doesn't haqve as much problem with the heat as me although last night he said there were terrible thunderstorms and heavy rain when I spoke to him. Also right now he has an airconditioned hotel room and when he is on board the ships, they have AC too. Actually the hotel is literally just across the road from the Metro and with the 'underground' city in Montreal he doesn't have to walk outside to get to the office.

Getting my eye exam today and this time I am sure there will be a change. I need some new glasses anyway, I just hope I can find something I like! I should have done it in the UK as I saw some really great frames I fancied. I really have to learn to make time for things like this and not put it off!

Didn't make as much progress on my swaps as I intended but I d manage to get few chores out of the way that had been waiting so I suppose yesterday was productive in one sense. My craft stuff is due for a big reorganisation so maybe I'll start on that this afternoon when I get back from the optometrist. That would make it easier for me to stop faffing around when I want to make things!

Ha ve a good day, girls and take care especially if those roads are wet.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:02 AM   #50
Glitter Guru

Good Morning Everyone We had a slight bit of thunder last night and our daily shower. But it is still warm.
Today--cloudy/bit of sun, slight risk of a shower, lol. This is the forcast my and what it has been all 'summer'. I'm not really complaining, not one to sit out in the sun anyway

Not sure what to do about the Copics--don't want it to be a 'flash in the pan' for me--too expensive. I don't really colour that much, but might try them with a friend and then decide.

Ruth, you were asking about stamps for making cards for teens. You may want to try the Dijis. I haven't gone that route either but I've seen some nice ones on my cyber travels.

Have a good day everyone I'm going to Williams Lake today to a tea house, for lunch.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:53 AM   #51
Die Cut Diva

wet, rainy and downright dreary here too. Some of the streets in Lacombe are completely flooded and cordoned off. We can't take much more of this rain. The insurance adjuster is coming here Friday morning with their contractor to take a look at the hot tub.

Have been working on my ATC's and I must say I really am liking them. They are nearly finished. Just need to tie a few more "coins" onto the floss.

Today is going to be laundry and ironing day for me. I too want to reorganize a few things in my craft room. I bought another set of white drawers and want to redo a few embellishments. What I really need to do is to use up most of those embellishments. Made a mistake yesterday and checked "Scrapbook Steals" and bought another 24 rolls of ribbon for only $9.99 which I thought was a great price. And the ribbon is really nice too. Will have to add it to the 999 spools I already have.
2011 pages Jan 5/10; Feb 4/10; Mar 16/10; Apr 31/10; May 29/10; JUN 15/10; YTD 100/120
My Gallery
Old 07-26-2011, 05:13 PM   #52
Stazon Splitcoast

Deb, you're 'enabling' again!! Don't really need to check out more sites for goodies!! lol

Thanks for the tip, Nancy, I'll have to check Dijis out!

Time to start supper I think before DH phones me again. He's 3 hours ahead so I know my meal won't be interrupted if I eat around 7 p.m.!

Eye exam all good, just a slight change in my right eye. In fact the optometrist was quite surprised when I produced my 'gold' (seniors) care card not so much because I looked too young to have one but because my eyes are pretty darn healthy and not really deteriorating too much in spite of my age! If I thought he didn't think I was over 65 then I'd say he needed glasses!!! lol One of the few optometrists I've met who didn't wear glasses!!

Have a good evening/night, everyone.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:37 PM   #53
Mad Swapper

Arrgh.. everyone's gone chatting and I hadn't realise the thread had taken off. So glad to see everyone back.

Hi, everyone!

Robin, it was me that was looking for those mini bottlecap alphabets. I went to the affiliate store in Calgary and they didn't have them too

I've been away from SCS for ages. Now I suspect I'll be back.

I am getting to be a doggie parent this weekend. Am looking after my friends two dogs over the weekend. Nothing much happening with me. The doggie parenting is for me to see if I can handle pets since I've been wanting to get a dog forever

I was in the UK and Spain in June. Sorry I didn't call you, Cal. Was visiting with my mama.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:57 PM   #54
Glitter Guru

Omgosh, I just started packing up to go to a crop on Saturday--Christmas stuff. It is so hard not to take the kitchen sink

Ruth, glad your appt. went well.

Diane, good for you to babysit! Are they big or little? I'm so glad my ex takes the two I have. It's like sharing custody I just hate to leave them, already dreading leaving them for September while I'm gone!
Anyway, have fun with the two of them this weekend.

The Tea House today was lovely, but you pay for the ambience! Fun tho.

Hope you are all having a good week.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:22 AM   #55
Mad Swapper

Nancy, am looking after Kayla. She's a big dog. And Maddy, she will be a big dog too but is still a puppy at 4 months.

I am still at a standstill with the House swaps I started at Olds.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:47 AM   #56
Die Cut Diva

Your houses were looking so good Diane. Hopefully you will get them finished up soon.

I find it hard Nancy to go to crops too. I either take wayyyy too much, or not nearly enough. There never seems to be a happy medium. I usually don't use 3/4 of what I haul along with me. And then there is the case of having to put it all away when you get home. I find that the hardest part of all.

Our entire basement flooded yesterday. Just waiting for my insurance company to open so I can call them. We have had so much rain here, that our septic pump couldn't pump the water out because the septic field is so full, it didn't have the pressure to go anywhere. We are sure hoping it is clean water. Our weeping tile is hooked up to the pump in the septic system so it wasn't working. I think we'll have to replace the entire flooring in the basement It is only a year old, as we renovated last year. We sucked water almost all night. No more is coming in, but it is still very wet down there. I sure hope that all the new furniture I bought is not going to swell from being in water. I'm too old for this.

So my day today will consist of vacuuming all day. We pumped out 350 gallons of water from underneath our hottub. It is crazy here. I'm tired.
My Gallery
Old 07-27-2011, 09:13 AM   #57
Stazon Splitcoast

Good morning, girls.

Sorry it's not such a good morning for you, Deb! We recently had a problem with a slight flood in our furnace room which seeped out into part of the carpeted area of our basement. Unfortunately it was sewer backup although relatively clean looking but it was a pain getting it all fixed. I dread to think what it would have been like if it were the whole basement area + the unfinished bit which on its own is around 1,000 sq ft! I so feel for you, Deb. Like you say, we're too old for headaches like this and you're way younger than me. Hope the furniture is ok and that the insurance is pretty prompt with getting it all sorted for you. Take care and get some rest. Hopefully the rain lets up and things get a chance to dry out.

Nothing much going on here apart from making a few phone calls. Need to start checking the cost of the unit we need to get some cool air although right now we don't really need the AC working, it's not that warm, still dull and overcast out there, although it shows signs of brightening up. Not much of a summer really but they surely won't be complaining if it keeps the forest fire risk down.

Diane, happy you found us! There is still inspiration to be had on here if you have the time to look. Enjoy dog sitting! Rather you than me!!! My cousins DD just got a new puppy, a designer dog no less! A cross between a golden retriever or lab and a miniature poodle! I'm sure he's quite beautiful but quite honestly if (and that's a very big IF!!) we did ever get a dog, I'd rather get a little/large rescue dog than pay $$$$ for a designer one!

No Robin this morning. Hope you're ok and were just too busy to drop in before work!

Nancy, it's nice to enjoy the surroundings of somewhere like the Tea House but it takes the shine off it a bit when it's so pricey. There are a few places like that around here, nice for a treat but not on too regular a basis!

Best go and do something other than sit here!! Take care, ladies.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:52 AM   #58
Die Cut Diva

one thing with regard to the AC Ruth -- if the weather is not scorching hot, it is probably cheaper to get it done now. I think they add a surcharge when everyone wants it yesterday.

My Mom got hosed last summer when her basement flooded. The fellow that came from the carpet cleaning company charged her an embarrassing amount for his one hour of work (he should be ashamed). So lo and behold, yesterday, his wife was on her way to work in a flooded basement and stopped at our house as she had vehicle trouble and needed a new belt. I told Brian he should have charged HER an extra $100 for a service call after hours. He laughed and said he should, but of course, he didn't because he's a nice guy. And this was also in the middle of our ugly flood here too.
My Gallery
Old 07-27-2011, 05:49 PM   #59
Mad Swapper

Deb, your weeping tile should not be hooked into your septic system. Ideally, it should be separate as they do not take that into account when sizing the field. It also sounds like the field was flooded out and the septic tank had seepage into it- either from overland or the collars were not sealed properly. For your sake I hope it wasn't a sewage backup. What a pain.

Don't ask me why I know so much about private septic systems. I do know that they cost a bomb to put in and can go south so easily. That would be why I would think twice about living away from a city. But just because you live in the city doesn't guarantee that you won't get a sewage backup either.

Now I feel like I ought to go downstairs and make sure I havn't gotten any seepage although I don't think we've had as much rain as you have up north.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:12 PM   #60
Die Cut Diva

we've had 18" in the last 2 weeks. Without coming out yet to look at it, they are considering it as sewage. When we built our house many years ago, that is what they did was hook the weeping tile to the septic system. And, yes, everything is so full of water here, there is no place for it to go. So the pump automatically shut itself off as it was running non-stop and the fluid was not going anywhere. So we'll see what happens when the Adjuster arrives on Friday.
My Gallery
Old 07-27-2011, 07:01 PM   #61
Stazon Splitcoast

Had anice little wander around Michaels today, haven't been there in ages! Timmies for lunch as I was on my own and not feeling adventurous then into Coopers Foods on the way for some basic provisions. I enjoyed my 'wander' at my own pace apart from beginning to feel a little warm after I'd been in Michaels for over an hour! Was a bit disappointed that the $ store I used to go to in this mall had closed down. Another day, another $ store!! Saw some gorgeous beads in Michaels but couldn't get hold of either my DD or DIL to see if there was anything in particular they wanted. Anyway without beads I spent enough on other crafting supplies, plenty of bargains in the sale!

Deb, sounds like you'll need that week down in Arizona. Water/sewage is so destructive. Hope everything goes smoothly with the adjusters. Take care. I was fortunate to be away when all the work got done on our place, DH had to sort it out for a change!!

Have a good evening, everyone.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:01 AM   #62
Die Cut Diva

Good Thursday morning ladies! All is well here. I slept in a bit yesterday and was running late, so though I had a chance to read all of the news (waiving hello to Diane!) I was too late to post.

Ruth - I picked up your package out of the mail yesterday. Thank you so much! For everyone who donated, your generosity was mentioned at our last Board meeting by the Manager for the program (Bev), and the Board Chair asked us to pass on his thanks.

Deb - I was wondering how you were fairing. I was hoping since you had such an established home-site that you would miss all of this trouble. I heard that streets are blocked off in your town due to the rain. I will keep my fingers crossed for you that everything goes ok.

We have had our fair share of rain at my house. Thank goodness we are up on a hill, so there is atleast a good chance of drainage, and our basement is only 4' underground, but still I keep checking because I hate hate hate water in a basement.

Ruth - Michaels does have some nice beads, don't they. I have seen some beauties there myself. I try to stay out of Michaels since I am still trying not to buy anything.

Diane - babysitting 2 dogs, one a puppy? I am thinking you are going to have your hands very full. Brody is a year old and some days he is still an idiot, gets puppy brain, and away he goes. Like kids, it's easier when they are your own dog rather than someone elses.

Nancy - sounds like the tea house was a nice treat, though something that is left as a treat so you can enjoy it.

Rick is home tonight. He has worked for 3 weeks straight, so I have been missing him. Not to mention that he needs to come home as the lawn mower needs to be picked up from the shop and the back yard looks like a hay field. Not much planned for the weekend. I think the only thing on this list is a trip to the Farmers Market on Saturday morning. I know he wants to do some shooting practice (hunting season is looming don't you know, even though he hasn't actually brought anything home in atleast 5 years. He tells me he is more selective.....I think he goes out to the bush and naps), and I would enjoy a few hours with my toys.

Better run to work....enjoy your day ladies, and I hope more of our old friends find us as well.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:08 PM   #63
Stazon Splitcoast

Good afternoon, ladies, not sure where the morning went!! Got up really late, too many late nights so I slept in for once.

Have wonderful weekend, Robin, glad Rick is home to mow the lawn amonst other things! Maybe he'll take Brody so you can play with your toys!! Happy I could at least help with donating something to this years cause.

It's actually a really lovely day here and I should be out enjoying the sunshine. Maybe a late lunch on the deck might be in order. Just have to watch there are no mosquitos, need to find the bug spray.

Thinking of you, Deb and hoping things soon turn around. Also that the rain stops and the sun comes out to dry up some of the excess water around.

Denise, I know you post on FB now but hope you still find time in your busy life to drop in occasionally. I find it very hard to post anything really personal on FB 'cos I'm never sure how it'll be taken by others. I know I quite often get 'offended' by some of the stuff the younger members of our family post! I have to add, mostly Rex's family! Our families were just so different, like chalk and cheese. Now I sound like a snob!

Not sure what I'll do this evening, should get on with one set of swaps so I can mail first thing on Monday. Where has July gone?!!

DGS goes into hospital tomorrow to get his grommets fitted. DD was a little teary when I spoke to her earlier. She does not have good memories of hospital, spent too much time there over the years. Hoping she'll cope ok there tomorrow.

Here's hoping everyone has a good day and that the weekend brings its own delights for you all. Take care.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:12 PM   #64
Die Cut Diva

translation please Ruth -- what are grommets?

The home restoration people just left our house. We have emptied our basement (not an easy feat let me tell you -- MY CRAFT ROOM IS DOWN THERE!!!!!!) Our carpet has all been pulled away from all walls and they used 10 fans plus a dehumidifier. They will run until Saturday afternoon, then they will return and adjust where needed. Some of our walls are wet (one up 25" from the floor) and one area about 10" above the floor. We have to remove the baseboards and they will then try the fans on them. If they don't dry we have to cut out the drywall. I really don't want to do that, so I hope we are able to dry everything. Think positive thoughts, please.

Now our garage is full of stuff. And I have decided that all the furniture will come back in the house because it was all brand new a year ago. But as for the "stuff", I'm bringing back about 10% and the other 90% is gone. I don't need all this stuff anymore. I am going to do a major clean-out. And I can hardly wait. I guess I needed this to happen to actually get it done!

Anyway, it is after midnight and I'm tired -- really tired. Going to bed. Goodnight all.
My Gallery
Old 07-29-2011, 05:50 AM   #65
Mad Swapper

Thanks for asking what grommets are, Deb. was wondering meself.
I mean, I know what they are but can't fathom them in the context of DGS.

Sorry to hear of the extent of the damage. So sad to hear your craft stuff affected. We were just chatting about you getting rid of your sewing stuff too.

It really reinforces the need to store things in plastic containers in the basement.

Sigh, Friday. am looking forward to the long weekend but I am thinking the doggies are going to be a handful.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:47 AM   #66
Glitter Guru

Good morning
Diane, is your yard fenced or do you take them out on a leash? One thing about small dogs....their droppings are small, haha, tmi?

Deb, keeping my fingers crossed!

I have to get on my horse, getting my hair trimmed this morning.

Have a great day and if I don't make it back on here, have a great weekend
Old 07-29-2011, 09:25 AM   #67
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh my ladies and we all speak English! There are so many differences between Canadian English and UK English! "Grommets", it is a medical term for tubes and DGS has had to have them fitted for 'glue' ear, he wasn't hearing at all well. Fairly common procedure for kids that have ear problems. Nobody calls them tubes in the UK, we'd all know what that kind of grommets were. Of course there are all kinds of other grommets which I suppose are the kind we are all familiar with. Anyway apparently all went well and our little fella sailed thru it apart from waking at 2.30 a.m. and saying it was time to get ready and go! DD is totally exhausted!!

Good luck with the doggies, Diane!

Nancy, have a wonderful weekend.

Deb, I don't envy the task you have at hand. So sensible to take this opportunity to get rid of stuff though. We have an unfinished section of basement and have loads stored so now I'm thinking maybe I should get to sorting it out and getting rid of most of it especially as a greater proportion is packed in cardboard boxes. Don't forget to make a little time for yourself and chill even if it's only for an hour each day.

Need to go get on and have another coffee before I get ready for lunch in town with a lovely young friend whom I haven't seen for well over two months. Her life is so much busier than mine so we don't get this kind of opportunity too often.

Robin, Denise and everyone else, take care and stay safe.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:23 AM   #68
Stazon Splitcoast

Good Saturday morning! DH would say it's half way thru the day!! It's another grogeous day here but I think I may be staying inside. Damn mosquitoes like me too much. Just went to the car and walked less than 50 yards in town and I have several bites which are really inflamed and incredibly itchy. I can see I'll need to spray on insect repellant even if I'm just popping out for groceries!

It's a long weekend here too, I think it's BC day! Not sure of all the dates of holidays even now, have to look uo the list each time! Just spoken to DH and he's on a ship in the St Lawrence river just gone past Quebec city apparently. He's sorting out computer problems on there and is quite irritated that he doesn't have the right clearance to sort anything much right now. I think Head office IT department is about to get a little blast! Like he says, what's the point of sending him to do a job if he can''t access what he needs!! Such a waste of time and money!

Making good progress with my swaps and have even tried a couple of different techniques for one of them. Did Faux Cloisonne and it's so simple but effective if you pick the right page from your magazine!

The laundry is calling so I'd better depart and make myself useful! Can't neglect my chores for SCS or FB, right?!!!!! lol

Take care all.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:14 AM   #69
Mad Swapper

Ruth, my what sweet blood you have

Nancy, my yard is fenced.
yes, little dogs make little poos. That's what I've been telling my sister since she thinks I may need a greyhound since they really are low energy dogs. Speaking of greys, she has another one called Ella. very sweet girl. her last greyhound, Salvador, had bone cancer and died last year.

OMG- it's hair-o-rama here at Casa Diane. There is doghair everywhere. I am going to make my friend come over and vacuum for me. I was zoom grooming the carpet this morning. Zoom groom is this grooming brush that helps pull hair from dogs. It is also a great massaging brush. Now now, not in a dirty kinda way- but it a get the circulation going kinda way.... but there is so much hair that I just had to zoom groom the carpet :0

I seriously wonder about being able to cope with doghair everywhere. Unless I pick me a hairless breed

Gosh, Ruth, I was imagining grommets being put in sort of like giant eyelets. Thanks for clarifying. Hope the boy suffers less with the tubes in. Poor kid.

Anyways, despite being terrified the pup will pee in the house, I am going to chance it and step out for the day. Hope everyone is having a fantastic weekend.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:06 PM   #70
Stazon Splitcoast

Got a remedy for my mozzie bites and it was in the house! Tea Tree oil! I found a bottle when I was sorting out a few things and lo! and behold, the inflammation has rapidly decreased, the itching has virtually stopped and I might get some proper sleep tonight!!

Dog hair, Diane! you definitely need a non shedding dog if you do succumb and get one!!

Watching a UK serial on the knowledge network! Another half an hour and it will be bedtime. Goodnight all.

Old 07-31-2011, 06:07 AM   #71
Die Cut Diva

Good Morning! It is Sunday, the sun is shining, peace reigns in the house and all is well.

Grommets *snort* I was picturing those pierced ears with the big holes - and was pretty sure I was wrong. I'm happy that I am, (I always wonder what will happen when they want to take them out) tubes I can understand. Nice to hear it all went well for the little tyke, especially if he was getting earaches.

Deb - if you need help sorting and shifting, let me know. I can spare some time and it would be good exercise.

Diane - I met the cutest little dog last night. He was a Bichon/Yorkie mix and he was so soft and cuddly and a non-shedder. If you don't want dog hair, don't get a black lab.....Brody is a major shedder. Are you enjoying the company, or are they just too much like work?

We went to the farmers market yesterday and bought up a bunch of corn, beans, etc and then packed up and went out west for supper with friends who were camping out there. We had a great time, and it did a person good to sit by the fire and relax. Haven't done that for a long time. Today we are going to do a little of this and a little of that.

Enjoy your day ladies. I should get his lazy bones out of bed to go for breakfast.

Hugs to all....
Old 07-31-2011, 08:55 AM   #72
Die Cut Diva

Good Sunday morning. Thanks for the offer Robin, but I think we are okay. Almost all furniture is in our garage - all crafting stuff is up and out of the way (wow, I really do have a lot of stuff) Great time to reorganize, reshuffle, and recycle. I'm not going to worry about any of that until I'm back from Arizona on the 10th.

Dana is very excited about going to AZ with me. It is now going to be just us girls. Brian and Brandon are not going to meet up with us, they are just going directly to Kansas City. I feel a bout of daughter spoiling coming upon me. It's been a very long time since I did that, so that should be fun. She has no idea that that is my plan. Don't want her to get too crazy shopping.

Ruth, I'm so happy you found some relief from those pesky skeeters. I used to swell like you, but the last couple of years it has been better for me. And I laughed when I read Robin's comment about grommets -- that is exactly what I was thinking too -- the kids that do that to their ears will look like the Maasai women when they ever decide to take them out. Their earlobes will hang like their boobies.

We are off to Brian's cousins 50th wedding anniversary. How in heck did our cousins get to be the age that they could possibly be married that long? Yikes!

Diane - enjoy your doggy sitting. This will be a great chance for you to decide if you want a dog or not. It would be not for me -- it makes it more difficult to go away. Like our daughter's cat, which for some reason, became my cat -- and now I'm so attached to him -- what on earth am I going to do with him when we go south for any length of time? Hey Diane - want a cat?
My Gallery
Old 07-31-2011, 11:15 AM   #73
Stazon Splitcoast

Just typed a longish message and then promptly pressed the wrong key and lost it! Can't retype it now, I need to get moving!

Have a great day ladies! TTYL

Old 08-01-2011, 05:07 PM   #74
Stazon Splitcoast

Hope everyone is having a good day! Nice sunshine here but a tad warm for me. Cooling off in the suite where the AC is working a treat!

Old 08-01-2011, 05:33 PM   #75
Mad Swapper

The puppies have left and I am relieved but sad too.

Only one peeing incident and it was on the big dog's bed, done by the little dog.
(Bad, Maddy!!) I was just not fast enough to stop her from doing it and had to wash the bedding.

The dogs are cute but so much work. I am sure I will find dog hair for the next few months.

Only one shoe chewed up. And some driftwood I was collecting.

I seriously have to think about the dog situation. And no, Deb, no cats for me

Yeah, those grommets in the ears. I used to see it on some indigenous people from Borneo. The women keep inserting bigger and bigger circular disks in the ear and they get super saggy and ugly as they age. Seriously not a pretty sight.
But, whatever turns their crank, I suppose. Like all people piecing their faces. Not my cuppa tea but if it floats their boat.....
Old 08-02-2011, 05:03 AM   #76
Die Cut Diva

How is everyone this morning? Sadly it is back to work today. The weather has been so great, it is sad.

Got a chance to meet dd's boyfriends mother. Since this is a public forum, let me just say it was interesting,

Ds is on his way back from bc. He took his motorcycle to the shusaps for house boating for the weekend. Hope it went well and he isn't too sunburnt.

Better go and get ready. It might rain today so I should check the rainbarrels....
Old 08-02-2011, 07:46 AM   #77
Pearl-ExPert

Hi everyone! We were off camping for the weekend but am home now.

Deb, I feel for you. We just went through it. Is your basement wood? The flood guys didnt ask that question soon enough here, and we wasted alot of time and money. If its wood, they have to cut the walls and remove the insulation or you will have mold.

Sounds like everyone is busy as usual. I am hoping to sew today. My oldest is at band camp, and the youngest is to have a friend over to play for the day, so I will either have time to sew, or reload the storage room. We have only just got those walls fixed, and all the storage stuff is in the basement or the shop.

Have a wonderful Tuesday morning all!
Old 08-02-2011, 03:28 PM   #78
Die Cut Diva

Hi all. Denise - our basement is concrete, not wood. We have it dried out (we are sure) and CA Tile One is coming out tomorrow to hopefully replace the underlay and then reinstall our carpet. I will then wait until after we are home and I'll have the carpets steamcleaned and then we'll put everything back in place. I am not going to rush the process as I would like to go through everything first. The time has come to downsize!

I hope Robin that we don't see any rain for a long time. Every day the clouds roll in and threaten.

I golfed today and actually played alright (not my usual, but it was okay by my new "injured standards".

My suitcase is almost packed. Dana is so excited to be going with me. Brian and Brandon are not stopping in AZ on their way to Kansas. Just a week for us girls.
My Gallery
Old 08-02-2011, 07:53 PM   #79
Pearl-ExPert

Deb, glad to here you have dried out so quickly! That is one bright spot in such a nasty time! Its exciting do have just a girls week! I was so lucky to be able to go with my mom!

Hope everyone had a great day today. It was beautiful here, even when the clouds rolled in and threatened rain! I picked peas and had baby potatoes for supper! Yummy!!!
Old 08-04-2011, 05:37 AM   #80
Mad Swapper

Lucky you, Denise. I can't grow anything to save my life. Which is horrible- you'd think growing would be a cinch in the heat island of the city. I am happy to finally see produce grown in Alberta at farmers markets. I went last saturday.

I hear Taber corn is late this year and will be ready mid August.