Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2010, 05:44 PM   #2161
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacyquilter View Post
Cut a few branches from the lilac bush or tree out in the yard & put them in a tall heavy vase.
Hmmmm.......what few trees we have have BARE branches right now!! Guess I could "trim" one and make paper snowflakes!! hehe
Exploring Creativity~blog
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-06-2010, 09:20 PM   #2162
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by star View Post
Hmmmm.......what few trees we have have BARE branches right now!! Guess I could "trim" one and make paper snowflakes!! hehe
You would want bare branches, 'cause any leaves would die anyway. I didn't mean to put them in water, just in a bucket or vase of some sort, tall & deep, like an umbrella stand.
Melody ~ Isaiah 40:31 ~ Fan Club Member ~ gallery
My GOD can do amazing things. Ephesians 3:20

Old 01-07-2010, 05:32 AM   #2163
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
You would want bare branches, 'cause any leaves would die anyway. I didn't mean to put them in water, just in a bucket or vase of some sort, tall & deep, like an umbrella stand.
I'm giving this serious thought...but don't know if I have anything to put them in.....
Of course, I should take down the rest of the Christmas stuff first!! My days keep getting "sidetracked"
Old 01-07-2010, 07:35 AM   #2164
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
I'm giving this serious thought...but don't know if I have anything to put them in.....
Of course, I should take down the rest of the Christmas stuff first!! My days keep getting "sidetracked"
If the branch(es) were skinny, you could put them in a wine bottle or soda bottle that you put inside a bucket and wad newspaper around the bottle to anchor it. If they are thicker branches, use a wider floral vase, but do the same thing with the bucket. If you needed to weight the bucket, use some stones or sand (or anything that you have on hand that is heavy). You could always brainstorm with your family and get them involved - hahahaha!

Old 01-07-2010, 07:45 AM   #2165
Stazon Splitcoast

Ahhh... I was in the middle of preparing swiss steak for the crock pot, when DS called that he was having car trouble. He was about half way to school on the freeway - of course in the middle of rush hour and a snowstorm. An intermittent problem with the car stalling. He called the tow truck, so I had to go pick him up at the tow garage. I got there before they did. I did NOT want to go out today. I was sliding all over the place and some drivers are so stupid following right close behind. I know I was going way under the speed limit (city streets), but I'd rather be slow and steady and get home in one piece. So anyway, I was browning the meat - just shut off the stove and took it off the burner. When we got home, I continued from where I left off, but just dumped the meat in the slow cooker partially browned. It'll cook anyway. Supposed to be 8-9 hours on low, but I started it out on high, 'cause I got it started so late. I'll turn it back down to low in a couple of hours.

I guess I'll go see if I can get a card done for the challenge today.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:57 AM   #2166
Stazon Splitcoast

Your day sounds like mine (except for the snow part...we are suppose to be in the mid 60's today!! hehe)
Did one load of laundry last night, no problems....threw in the second load and the stupid washer shuts down on the rinse cycle....won't drain or go to the spin cycle. I have different wash settings and it shuts down on each one. Been on the phone all morning trying to find someone to come out to our little rural area and fix it. Sears repair didn't have an appt till next week!! HELLO!!! I have a washer full of water/clothes including DS's baseball uniform (that he needs tomorrow....I'm pulling that out and going to air dry it in the sun....just in case!!)
Finally found someone who will come out this afternoon.....told DH that I'm just paying what ever to get if fixed...I can't go days/or a week without a washer in this family (not to mention....taking out soping wet clothes and trying to get them wrung out enough to dry....uhhhh, NO!! It's the jeans load!! NO WAY!! snort)
How does a washer just quit? No clunking, grinding, NO WARNING?!!
Old 01-07-2010, 11:18 AM   #2167
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Your day sounds like mine (except for the snow part...we are suppose to be in the mid 60's today!! hehe)
Did one load of laundry last night, no problems....threw in the second load and the stupid washer shuts down on the rinse cycle....won't drain or go to the spin cycle. I have different wash settings and it shuts down on each one. Been on the phone all morning trying to find someone to come out to our little rural area and fix it. Sears repair didn't have an appt till next week!! HELLO!!! I have a washer full of water/clothes including DS's baseball uniform (that he needs tomorrow....I'm pulling that out and going to air dry it in the sun....just in case!!)
Finally found someone who will come out this afternoon.....told DH that I'm just paying what ever to get if fixed...I can't go days/or a week without a washer in this family (not to mention....taking out soping wet clothes and trying to get them wrung out enough to dry....uhhhh, NO!! It's the jeans load!! NO WAY!! snort)
How does a washer just quit? No clunking, grinding, NO WARNING?!!
laundromat? or in-laws?

Old 01-07-2010, 12:04 PM   #2168
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
laundromat? or in-laws?
I could haul to my IL's....but when I say that the clothes are SOPPING wet, I mean that they are sitting in a washer full of water!! I don't know how I could wring out the jeans enough to haul them somewhere else without making a HUGE mess of my truck!!
Old 01-07-2010, 12:15 PM   #2169
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
I could haul to my IL's....but when I say that the clothes are SOPPING wet, I mean that they are sitting in a washer full of water!! I don't know how I could wring out the jeans enough to haul them somewhere else without making a HUGE mess of my truck!!
You would probably have to use those big plastic totes.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:20 PM   #2170
Stazon Splitcoast

I went out to shovel - did about 2/3 down one side of the drive, then a shovel wide path to the bottom. Went to get the mail, which is at the property line between us and the neighbor. As I'm walking down the road, I see an envelope sticking up in the snowbank, so I pulled it out and it's a Christmas card from Dawn L -- even had snow on the inside of the card. I wonder how long it's been sitting there. It was pretty wet. The envelope just kinda fell open.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:05 PM   #2171
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
I went out to shovel - did about 2/3 down one side of the drive, then a shovel wide path to the bottom. Went to get the mail, which is at the property line between us and the neighbor. As I'm walking down the road, I see an envelope sticking up in the snowbank, so I pulled it out and it's a Christmas card from Dawn L -- even had snow on the inside of the card. I wonder how long it's been sitting there. It was pretty wet. The envelope just kinda fell open.
But the important thing...How was the card?!!

I am in the wrong business.....repairman was just here...Seriously...this job took him about 5 min....and I'm out a total of $151....$95 of that labor!! HOLY MOLY!!
Old 01-07-2010, 01:09 PM   #2172
Stazon Splitcoast

Just FYI: Do not EVER slam your washer lid (which I don't....at least I try not too!!)...because a little plastic piece will break....leaving your washer full of water. And it will cost you a min of $150 to fix.....
DH made me feel a little better as he said "It is 9 years old....I'm surprised the plastic lasted this long"....which, when you look at the little piece of plastic, I am too!!
Old 01-07-2010, 01:16 PM   #2173
Stazon Splitcoast

The card, though wet, is beautiful -- of course -- it was made by Dawn!

I soooo do not want to think about new washer & dryer, but I know it's coming one of these days. I just pray that they keep on working for a long time yet.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:54 PM   #2174
Stazon Splitcoast

I still have no holiday cards done or even thank you cards done. But my big tree is almost taken down!
I am kind of glad that the washer thing wasn't that big of deal (even though it was over priced). I did not want it to be a question of repair or better to replace
Old 01-10-2010, 03:00 PM   #2175
Stazon Splitcoast

Hey Girls!! It was a GORGEOUS day here today!! We went for a couple hour hike in the hills near our house. I'm tellin' ya.....there are some benefits of living in So Cal!! Temp was 65+ while hiking. PERFECT weather!!
Old 01-10-2010, 07:45 PM   #2176
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Hey Girls!! It was a GORGEOUS day here today!! We went for a couple hour hike in the hills near our house. I'm tellin' ya.....there are some benefits of living in So Cal!! Temp was 65+ while hiking. PERFECT weather!!
I'm jealous now when we have 20, but I won't be when you are up near 100 in the summer.

I worked on my quilt. Finished the applique about 15 minutes ago. Now I have to soak the last 11 blocks to get the freezer paper out and the press them dry. Then the next step is figuring out the layout. That's not all the hard, just laying all the blocks out and checking to see if they look good, or need to switch a few from one spot to another (don't want all the blue flowers in one corner). Then I sew them together - probably just in rows for now so I can quilt them. After I quilt the rows, then I sew those together and finish any quilting near the seams and then it's binding time. I have no idea how long this will take, because it all depends on how much quilting I put on it. Good thing I enjoy doing this.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:08 AM   #2177
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
I'm jealous now when we have 20, but I won't be when you are up near 100 in the summer.

I worked on my quilt. Finished the applique about 15 minutes ago. Now I have to soak the last 11 blocks to get the freezer paper out and the press them dry. Then the next step is figuring out the layout. That's not all the hard, just laying all the blocks out and checking to see if they look good, or need to switch a few from one spot to another (don't want all the blue flowers in one corner). Then I sew them together - probably just in rows for now so I can quilt them. After I quilt the rows, then I sew those together and finish any quilting near the seams and then it's binding time. I have no idea how long this will take, because it all depends on how much quilting I put on it. Good thing I enjoy doing this.
Maybe that is one of the reasons I don't enjoy sewing projects....no (near) instant gratification!! Takes too long and I get "bored" with it! LOL
Old 01-11-2010, 06:26 AM   #2178
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Maybe that is one of the reasons I don't enjoy sewing projects....no (near) instant gratification!! Takes too long and I get "bored" with it! LOL
Maybe not INSTANT gratification, but you do see progress. One flower quilted, one block done, then two, three, a whole row... And then pretty soon I'm on the binding and then a label. And when I'm doing the handwork, I don't have to haul out a bunch of supplies everytime I want to sit and work on it. If I ever get my craft room organized, maybe I won't have to do that with stamping either... lol.

But I think the thing I love the most about quilting is that the end product will last for many years and can be passed down from one generation to the next. And they are soooo warm on a cold winter night! Yeah, like you know what that is!

Old 01-11-2010, 06:27 AM   #2179
Stazon Splitcoast

I just finished taking all the freezer paper out, so now I'm ready to do the layout. But first I need to shower and get dressed. I should fit today's challenge in sometime, too.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:16 AM   #2180
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Maybe not INSTANT gratification, but you do see progress. One flower quilted, one block done, then two, three, a whole row... And then pretty soon I'm on the binding and then a label. And when I'm doing the handwork, I don't have to haul out a bunch of supplies everytime I want to sit and work on it. If I ever get my craft room organized, maybe I won't have to do that with stamping either... lol.

But I think the thing I love the most about quilting is that the end product will last for many years and can be passed down from one generation to the next. And they are soooo warm on a cold winter night! Yeah, like you know what that is!
LOL!! Believe it or not, we DO get freezing temps!! The difference is they don't last all day!!

Just got home from a meeting about grandparents day.....ugghhhh......there will be the painting of a sunset in my future
Old 01-11-2010, 12:49 PM   #2181
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
LOL!! Believe it or not, we DO get freezing temps!! The difference is they don't last all day!!

Just got home from a meeting about grandparents day.....ugghhhh......there will be the painting of a sunset in my future
My sis & I went out to Xpedx paper store today and I bought much cardstock (by the ream). Mostly stuff that was on clearance, but a couple things weren't. Then we went out to eat lunch -- decided to go to Noodles. When we got there, saw DH's van in the parking lot. DD & DH were there, but had just finished.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:59 PM   #2182
Stazon Splitcoast

I was bad and opened the e-mail from JoAnns.....I now have an order coming (40% off paper crafting stuff....got the take out box sizzix die that I've been looking for, some rub ons, some Rock King chipboard embellishments......and a LARGE box to store the sizzix dies in as the big ones are too large for a shoe box (to stand on end) and it would seem that I'm uhhhhhh.....collecting a few!! LOL
Old 01-11-2010, 01:03 PM   #2183
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
I was bad and opened the e-mail from JoAnns.....I now have an order coming (40% off paper crafting stuff....got the take out box sizzix die that I've been looking for, some rub ons, some Rock King chipboard embellishments......and a LARGE box to store the sizzix dies in as the big ones are too large for a shoe box (to stand on end) and it would seem that I'm uhhhhhh.....collecting a few!! LOL
Ha! You don't want to know how many I have!

Old 01-11-2010, 01:07 PM   #2184
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Ha! You don't want to know how many I have!
Yes I do!! I want to feel as if my collection is truely puny!! LOL
Old 01-11-2010, 01:08 PM   #2185
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Yes I do!! I want to feel as if my collection is truely puny!! LOL
somewhere around 60 bigz & originals.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:09 PM   #2186
Stazon Splitcoast

Along with all my spellbinders, etc. that should mean that every card I make has either die cuts or dry embossing, right?

Old 01-11-2010, 01:15 PM   #2187
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
somewhere around 60 bigz & originals.
Can I come to your house to play?!! HOLY MOLY!!
Old 01-11-2010, 01:16 PM   #2188
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Along with all my spellbinders, etc. that should mean that every card I make has either die cuts or dry embossing, right?
ROTFL!!! Probably if you had to justify the $$!!!!
Old 01-11-2010, 01:16 PM   #2189
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Can I come to your house to play?!! HOLY MOLY!!
Sure. When do you want to come?

Old 01-11-2010, 01:47 PM   #2190
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Sure. When do you want to come?
When it warms up significantly, LOL!!
I almost forgot I was suppose to see scrip Tod afternoon at the school. So now I'm sitting here and using my phone to chat since there is no action
Old 01-11-2010, 03:10 PM   #2191
Stazon Splitcoast

Just spent about 1-1/2 hours standing in line at a funeral home. There were so many people there One of DH's board members passed away. He was only 47. This is the 3rd funeral since Christmas. Another board member on Dec. 26 and a stamping friend this past Tues.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:48 PM   #2192
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess & DSS Moderator

oh, boy...what a tribute to that man that passed away!

btw, I posted my mermaid outfit for the American Girl doll on my blog on Saturday! My first sewing "project" of the year. I guess the card that will go live tonight is the 2nd since I sewed on it!

Follow the Free 4 All challenge board on Pinterest!
Old 01-11-2010, 06:22 PM   #2193
Stazon Splitcoast

So Sorry Melody about all the losses of friends/co workers!!

(We just had a 4.3 mag earthquake centered about ohhhhh, maybe 5 miles from us. sigh......long night of me stressing ahead (have never really gotten used to earthquakes. Now I'll stress that every thump, bump, rumble will be aftershocks)
Old 01-11-2010, 06:32 PM   #2194
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
So Sorry Melody about all the losses of friends/co workers!!

(We just had a 4.3 mag earthquake centered about ohhhhh, maybe 5 miles from us. sigh......long night of me stressing ahead (have never really gotten used to earthquakes. Now I'll stress that every thump, bump, rumble will be aftershocks)
({{({({({(you rockin' girl?)})})})})})} I don't think I could get used to that either.

Thanks. DH just told me that his aunt also passed away this morning. I am sooo not into all the funerals. But I guess you do what ya gotta do.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:34 PM   #2195
Stazon Splitcoast

Cute outfit, Dawn. I hope that response you got wasn't really how she felt.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:36 PM   #2196
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
({{({({({(you rockin' girl?)})})})})})} I don't think I could get used to that either.

Thanks. DH just told me that his aunt also passed away this morning. I am sooo not into all the funerals. But I guess you do what ya gotta do.
OH!! Melody!! You are just being slammed!! sending ({({({rockin)})})}) hugs! (actually, no aftershocks........yet)
Old 01-11-2010, 06:44 PM   #2197
Stazon Splitcoast

That is a cute outfit, Dawn!! I would have loved one of those for my Chrissy doll (do you remember those? Chrissy and Val? One was blonde, the other was redish brown haired dolls that you could pull the hair to lengthen it or wind it back into the body to make a bob?!!...My mom had her friend who sewed (SEE?!!! It is genetic!! NO sewing skills in my immediate family!! hehe) make matching outfits and jammies for us/and our dolls plus a whole bunch of other outfits for the dolls one Christmas......just remembered that!!)
Old 01-11-2010, 06:46 PM   #2198
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
That is a cute outfit, Dawn!! I would have loved one of those for my Chrissy doll (do you remember those? Chrissy and Val? One was blonde, the other was redish brown haired dolls that you could pull the hair to lengthen it or wind it back into the body to make a bob?!!...My mom had her friend who sewed (SEE?!!! It is genetic!! NO sewing skills in my immediate family!! hehe) make matching outfits and jammies for us/and our dolls plus a whole bunch of other outfits for the dolls one Christmas......just remembered that!!)
I used to make my own doll clothes.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:47 PM   #2199
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
I used to make my own doll clothes.
does it count that I would DRAW clothes for paper dolls?!! LOL
Old 01-11-2010, 06:48 PM   #2200
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
does it count that I would DRAW clothes for paper dolls?!! LOL
Ha! I did that too. Even made the paper dolls!