Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2008, 11:38 AM   #161
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by star View Post
Glad you found us Tammy!!

Ok...mommy brag time here!!
For father's day we decided to ride our bikes to the beach.....now here is the brag part: the oldest (age 11) rode the tandem with dh (I've been booted to my single bike now!!) and the youngest(age 7) rode his tagalong beind my IL's tandem.....for 52 miles!!!!! We did 26 miles down, ate lunch and then rode back!! They did AWESOME!! No complaining for the 3 hours/20 min ride time AND the oldest had enough spunk in him that for the last 10 miles he/dh avg 20 mph and then the last mile kicked it into high gear so that "he could drop mommy and make her hurt"!!! (and hurt I did!! I couldn't hang on their wheel....had to drop back and finish it in by myself!!). The youngest came in with the others just a few mins later.
If you could realize how our lives revolve around riding you would understand the proud parents/grandparents yesterday!!
Starla, meant to comment on this the other day and keep forgetting! I am so envious of you all being able to do this! I just do not have the stamina for biking (my huge gut and butt have a LOT to do with that!) and we have some beautiful bike trails around here that would be so fun to ride on. That 52 miles round trip is just so impressive and it's been on my mind ever since I read this the other day to just get back here again and say "way to go!"

I know not what this day holds....but I know Who holds the day!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 06-20-2008, 12:02 PM   #162
Inky OceanGazer

Quote:
Glad you found us Tammy!!

Ok...mommy brag time here!!
For father's day we decided to ride our bikes to the beach.....now here is the brag part: the oldest (age 11) rode the tandem with dh (I've been booted to my single bike now!!) and the youngest(age 7) rode his tagalong beind my IL's tandem.....for 52 miles!!!!! We did 26 miles down, ate lunch and then rode back!! They did AWESOME!! No complaining for the 3 hours/20 min ride time AND the oldest had enough spunk in him that for the last 10 miles he/dh avg 20 mph and then the last mile kicked it into high gear so that "he could drop mommy and make her hurt"!!! (and hurt I did!! I couldn't hang on their wheel....had to drop back and finish it in by myself!!). The youngest came in with the others just a few mins later.
If you could realize how our lives revolve around riding you would understand the proud parents/grandparents yesterday!!

I have to agree with Tammy....this is soooooooo totally awesome...give yourself a high five, dearie
SMILE at your fellow stampers with a comment!!
Inky Ocean Gazer (my blog)
Old 06-20-2008, 05:52 PM   #163
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampertammy View Post
Starla, meant to comment on this the other day and keep forgetting! I am so envious of you all being able to do this! I just do not have the stamina for biking (my huge gut and butt have a LOT to do with that!) and we have some beautiful bike trails around here that would be so fun to ride on. That 52 miles round trip is just so impressive and it's been on my mind ever since I read this the other day to just get back here again and say "way to go!"
Thanks Tammy (and Joanne!)....I was really proud of the boys for doing the ride!
Tammy, (btw...I have a huge gut and butt I'm trying to ride more so that MAYBE I'll loose it (again, for the 1000th time ) just find a short route (2-10 miles) that you can make a loop of. Just go out and do it a couple times a week (or every weekend) then slowly increase it. Bike paths are a wonderful way to introduce yourself to the bike. You aren't having to deal with traffic and usually the paths are more recreational rider friendly (i.e....flat vs hilly!! hehe)
Exploring Creativity~blog
Old 06-20-2008, 05:56 PM   #164
Stazon Splitcoast

Well.....dh is off backpacking this weekend. I have my boys tonight then they will stay with my IL's Sat until Sun.....am going for a ride Sun am....REALLY hope to find a 5inch space on my desk so that maybe I will be able to dig out some stamps and try to remember what it is that I am suppose to do with them (uhhh....yeah...it's been a while since I've really stamped....the father's day project was more of a scrapbook thing!)
Old 06-21-2008, 04:25 AM   #165

Quote:
Thanks Tammy (and Joanne!)....I was really proud of the boys for doing the ride!
Tammy, (btw...I have a huge gut and butt I'm trying to ride more so that MAYBE I'll loose it (again, for the 1000th time ) just find a short route (2-10 miles) that you can make a loop of. Just go out and do it a couple times a week (or every weekend) then slowly increase it. Bike paths are a wonderful way to introduce yourself to the bike. You aren't having to deal with traffic and usually the paths are more recreational rider friendly (i.e....flat vs hilly!! hehe)
Do you recommend any type of seat in particular? If it's a smooth, flat surface I can ride pretty well, but it's the seat (and what's in contact with it!) that gives me so much discomfort (for lack of a better word... sorry everyone, to be so graphic!) DH bought me a larger seat years ago with gel in it, but it still gets quite uncomfortable after just a little while.

Old 06-21-2008, 04:48 AM   #166
Knit, Purl, Stamp

Quote:
Do you recommend any type of seat in particular? If it's a smooth, flat surface I can ride pretty well, but it's the seat (and what's in contact with it!) that gives me so much discomfort (for lack of a better word... sorry everyone, to be so graphic!) DH bought me a larger seat years ago with gel in it, but it still gets quite uncomfortable after just a little while.
I'm right there with you Tammy. It doesn't take much and I'm uncomfortable in the "seat". According to my DH, you need to build up callouses (sp??), and then it will better. I think I'm going to try Starla's idea of just going for a few miles at a time a few times a week. It just so hard NOT to get out and enjoy the summer.

My Gallery
My Blog - My adventures in knitting
Old 06-21-2008, 04:52 AM   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babsnelson View Post
I'm right there with you Tammy. It doesn't take much and I'm uncomfortable in the "seat". According to my DH, you need to build up callouses (sp??), and then it will better. I think I'm going to try Starla's idea of just going for a few miles at a time a few times a week. It just so hard NOT to get out and enjoy the summer.
Easy for him to say! I don't think I want callouses in those places! Probably I just need to quit making excuses and JUST DO IT!

Nice to see you, Barb!

Old 06-21-2008, 05:47 AM   #168
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Callouses on your derriere??? I don't think so!!
Melody ~ Isaiah 40:31 ~ Fan Club Member ~ gallery
My GOD can do amazing things. Ephesians 3:20

Old 06-21-2008, 06:26 AM   #169
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacyquilter View Post
Callouses on your derriere??? I don't think so!!
ROTFLMBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!! My kids are wondering why mom is laughing at the computer!!
Old 06-21-2008, 06:50 AM   #170
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Sorry gals....yeah, you actually do have to toughen up in those areas!! That is the hardest part about getting back on the bike....the muscle soreness in my legs I can handle...its the tender bits that are harder to deal with!!

Couple of things:
First of all~starting out with just a few miles a week will make the toughening very bearable. And it will also give you a base as to what does/doesn't feel right on the bike.

Seats~sorry no recommendations there. It is a personal preference as to what is comfortable for you. Some prefer a larger gel seat. Personally, that is just more seat to rub and make me uncomfortable. When I used to ride a LOT (was even doing some racing) I prefered a man's seat....more narrow, less rubbing. I currently ride on a woman's seat but am looking for something else as it continues to irritate me beyond words (it also irritates my sciatic nerve and I'm kinda tired of having my leg/foot go numb on rides )
http://terrybicycles.com/ is a source that is geared towards woman. Yes, the seats can be expensive (they also have apparel which I will get to in a min) but remember....investing in something that will make you comfortable on the bike also means that you will get out on your bike because it is comfortable and will let you have fun!!

Clothing~ ok, before you roll your eyes and say that you will never (or can't because of size) wear bike shorts etc....let me tell you why you may want too. Yes, those shorts are very unattractive (trust me....I HATE seeing my rolls "roll" out of them!!) BUT!! The tightness of the shorts is to help keep the muscles warm and function better. That wonderful pad that adds pounds to your butt also has a purpose....to help decrease those tender bits!!! LOL.....
Now, for short recreational rides...you may not need to invest in the shorts/jerseys....some sources to look into for shorts that don't look like bike shorts would be _including Terry bicycles: (some of them even sell liners that you could wear under your regular shorts)
Pearl izumi http://www.pearlizumi.com/
Shebeest http://shebeest.com/
Harlot http://harlotwear.com/

And one last note: When I first started riding while just out of high school, I found that it was the first "exercise" that didn't feel like excercise to me. Is that true for everyone? No. But bike riding is something that you can do on any level. You can do the short, fun bike path , family rides (it is a sport that all ages of the family can do together!!) or progress to doing longer rides (touring which lets you eat and ride!! How perfect is that?!!), mountain bike rides, racing rides. It has so many different aspects that you usually can find one that fits for you and your family.
My MIL does not ride a "single" bike....my IL's have a mountain bike tandem. It was the solution to getting her to ride and enjoying it on the road or mountain trails. We have tandems, single road bikes, mountain bikes, tagalongs (for my youngest to ride along on too!) kids bikes, single speed bikes, cross bikes....hmmmm.....no cruisers.....gotta work on that! hehe.....there is a bike for every type of rider....
Get out and have fun gals!!
Old 06-24-2008, 12:26 PM   #171
Stazon Splitcoast

Been trying to find my house so that I can ask the neighbor to feed the gecko while we are on vacation next week......so far...found the hallway, boy's bathroom, most of my bedroom, most of the floor in both boy's rooms and most of the front room.....
Needless to say.....no fun here....
So what is up with all the rest of you? (yeah....I'm procrastinating right now....cleaning is no fun and I'm tired of it!!)
Old 06-25-2008, 10:18 AM   #172
Gabfest Goddess

I'm killing time while my office desk is being rebuilt...don't know why the hurry, it's been requested since March. Can't get in a hurry over these things ya know. LOL

Did you all see Kittie 747 has her Kittie Cuts -- Make a scene stamp kits available over on Rubbernecker! I've ordered one of the beach scenes and one of the outdoors scenes for now and can't wait to get them all!
Old 06-25-2008, 12:49 PM   #173
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampscout View Post
I'm killing time while my office desk is being rebuilt...don't know why the hurry, it's been requested since March. Can't get in a hurry over these things ya know. LOL

Did you all see Kittie 747 has her Kittie Cuts -- Make a scene stamp kits available over on Rubbernecker! I've ordered one of the beach scenes and one of the outdoors scenes for now and can't wait to get them all!
I'm eyeballing one of the beach scenes myself....going to wait until after we get back from vacation....wouldn't want those babies sitting on my front porch for a week!!
Old 06-25-2008, 12:50 PM   #174
Stazon Splitcoast

Almost done making my house presentable.....sooo~who's going to come visit me after the first week in July to make me keep it clean??!!!
Old 06-25-2008, 01:29 PM   #175
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Quote:

Yes.... I saw them on Tuesday when I was doing the treasure hunt. They're awesome! A little intimidating... but I would like to give it a try. I just have to wait a bit. I've been a little bit too spendy lately.
Pinterest - SCS Favorites
Clean & Simple Weekly Challenges
Old 06-25-2008, 03:54 PM   #176
Stamp'n In The Light

Quote:

Yep, I saw those too on Kittie's blog. I'm eyeing a few of those right now but need to wait until tommorrow maybe when it's payday.

Sorry I've been a bit MIA, but I've been down sick again. I am so tired of being sick and tired. Now with 4 fires burning around my area, all of the smoke sitting in the valley is just making it so hard to breathe it's nuts going outside even to go to work.

My Blog - Stamping In The Light
Sr. Design Team Member Mark's Finest Papers,
Old 06-25-2008, 05:25 PM   #177
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by raduse View Post
Yep, I saw those too on Kittie's blog. I'm eyeing a few of those right now but need to wait until tommorrow maybe when it's payday.

Sorry I've been a bit MIA, but I've been down sick again. I am so tired of being sick and tired. Now with 4 fires burning around my area, all of the smoke sitting in the valley is just making it so hard to breathe it's nuts going outside even to go to work.
I was wondering if everything was ok your way....was getting concerned about you!
Old 06-25-2008, 05:29 PM   #178

Quote:

Oh Bonnie! I'm so sorry to hear you are sick again. I have no experience with fires. I can't imagine what the smoke would be like. I just hope you can get back to normal soon.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:35 PM   #179

It's been a really bad day here. But I have spent the last few hours reorganizing my stamp room and generally cleaning it. It was a good distraction from my thoughts and a chance to be ALONE!

I'm selling lots of stuff here and on the bay..... have to get ready for the new catty. So far, combined with some birthday money I've been saving, I've made enough to stay a hobby demo for one more quarter!!!!!

But I just decided I have waaaayyyyy too much ribbon. I can't even see it all so it doesn't get used. Anyone want any ribbon???? for free???
Old 06-25-2008, 05:37 PM   #180

Oh look... I'm a crimping master already! Chatting and PIFfing will do that! LOL
Old 06-25-2008, 05:38 PM   #181

Starla.... I can't remember if I thanked you for the adorable images. I LOVE them! I think the monkeys are from High Hopes?
Old 06-25-2008, 05:40 PM   #182

I like talking to myself In the process of cleaning, GUESS WHAT I FOUND?????

A $25 gift certificate to Joanne's It must have fallen off my desk. It was in a pile of scrap paper I use while I'm stamping.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:59 PM   #183
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Boo View Post
It's been a really bad day here. But I have spent the last few hours reorganizing my stamp room and generally cleaning it. It was a good distraction from my thoughts and a chance to be ALONE!

I'm selling lots of stuff here and on the bay..... have to get ready for the new catty. So far, combined with some birthday money I've been saving, I've made enough to stay a hobby demo for one more quarter!!!!!

But I just decided I have waaaayyyyy too much ribbon. I can't even see it all so it doesn't get used. Anyone want any ribbon???? for free???
my house is now presentable....except for my stamp room!! Want to come and visit me??!! hehee
Old 06-25-2008, 05:59 PM   #184
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Starla.... I can't remember if I thanked you for the adorable images. I LOVE them! I think the monkeys are from High Hopes?
hmmmmm..............no monkeys from me......I (sob, sob) don't own any High Hope stamps (yet.....)
Old 06-25-2008, 06:00 PM   #185
Stazon Splitcoast

[QUOTE=Miss Boo;10302611]It's been a really bad day here. But I have spent the last few hours reorganizing my stamp room and generally cleaning it. It was a good distraction from my thoughts and a chance to be ALONE!

But I just decided I have waaaayyyyy too much ribbon. I can't even see it all so it doesn't get used. Anyone want any ribbon???? for free???[/QUOTE]

I'd raise my hand up (don't have too much of it) but since I haven't been stamping lately...I'll leave it for someone who has!!
Old 06-25-2008, 06:02 PM   #186
Stazon Splitcoast

I need to put in an order for $54 to make my mins for this quarter....think I will get some reinkers...don't have many of those.... (keep buying stuff, but not using it lately....maybe now that my house is getting cleaned I will host a ws and get enthused again.... I know that if I could find my stamp room it would help the creative process)
Old 06-25-2008, 06:20 PM   #187

Quote:
my house is now presentable....except for my stamp room!! Want to come and visit me??!! hehee
Sure.... cuz you can't visit me. The rest of my house needs help.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:21 PM   #188

Quote:
hmmmmm..............no monkeys from me......I (sob, sob) don't own any High Hope stamps (yet.....)
Ooops... Sorry. I have to go thank Rhonda.
Can you tell it's been an unusual day?
Old 06-25-2008, 06:33 PM   #189
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Ooops... Sorry. I have to go thank Rhonda.
Can you tell it's been an unusual day?
hehe.....no problem!!
Old 06-25-2008, 08:50 PM   #190
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Now who wouldn't take you up on an offer like that? Got my hand raised.
~~~~~~~~
Bonnie, I'm sorry to hear you've been sick again. I hope it clears up soon.
~~~~~~~~~~
I've been trying really hard to not order anything, since I know I have to order new catalogs really soon. And new stuff coming out in it.
Melody ~ Isaiah 40:31 ~ Fan Club Member ~ gallery
My GOD can do amazing things. Ephesians 3:20

Old 06-27-2008, 05:30 AM   #191
Stazon Splitcoast

Today is D-day for me....have to pack everyone up for a week long mtn biking trip to Park City, Utah (leaving EARLY tomorrow.....sigh....and driving the WHOLE way in one day (are DH and FIL MAD???!!!)
Old 06-27-2008, 05:32 AM   #192

Quote:

Too much ribbon??? Is there such a thing?

Old 06-27-2008, 05:34 AM   #193

Bonnie, sorry to hear you're sick! I can't imagine what it must be like out there with the wildfires. Take care, and be safe!

Hope everyone is ready for a good weekend! I'm ready for a day off!

Old 06-27-2008, 08:02 AM   #194

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacyquilter View Post
Now who wouldn't take you up on an offer like that? Got my hand raised.
~~~~~~~~
Bonnie, I'm sorry to hear you've been sick again. I hope it clears up soon.
~~~~~~~~~~
I've been trying really hard to not order anything, since I know I have to order new catalogs really soon. And new stuff coming out in it.
I've got your addy.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:02 AM   #195

Quote:
Today is D-day for me....have to pack everyone up for a week long mtn biking trip to Park City, Utah (leaving EARLY tomorrow.....sigh....and driving the WHOLE way in one day (are DH and FIL MAD???!!!)
have fun... hope you survive the drive
Old 06-27-2008, 08:04 AM   #196

Quote:
Too much ribbon??? Is there such a thing?
It turns out that yes... there is a point of craziness.

There might be a PIF ribbon thread started soon... that should help some... maybe.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:12 AM   #197
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
have fun... hope you survive the drive
Thanks!! Dh just informed me that we are going to be leaving at 6 am...which means my IL's will be here between 5 and 5:30 because they have no life in which to keep them home until the last min (they live only 3 miles from us......which usually is a good thing...but sometimes!! 0
Old 06-28-2008, 06:26 AM   #198
Stamp'n In The Light

Quote:

Yes!

Old 06-28-2008, 06:34 AM   #199
Stamp'n In The Light

Hi all, just checking back in for a min since I'm heading to work in a few. Two of the fires have now merged so we only have 3 now burning around us with the air quality sitting at unhealthy for everyone. Duh! We're also getting smoke blowing in with the little bit of breezes from big sur so a double whammy there. Thank goodness I work indoors. I'm hanging in there, between inhalers, steroid inhalers and nebulizers plus only going outside to/from work and groceries. There are so many fire engines all over the place as crews rotate out of fire camp into hotels for a night to shower and get a good nights sleep in a bed this place looks like a fire camp too. I guess it's just a problem living in a valley, just like living in the midwest having to deal with the tornados.

Old 06-28-2008, 12:50 PM   #200
Inky OceanGazer

Quote:
Hi all, just checking back in for a min since I'm heading to work in a few. Two of the fires have now merged so we only have 3 now burning around us with the air quality sitting at unhealthy for everyone. Duh! We're also getting smoke blowing in with the little bit of breezes from big sur so a double whammy there. Thank goodness I work indoors. I'm hanging in there, between inhalers, steroid inhalers and nebulizers plus only going outside to/from work and groceries. There are so many fire engines all over the place as crews rotate out of fire camp into hotels for a night to shower and get a good nights sleep in a bed this place looks like a fire camp too. I guess it's just a problem living in a valley, just like living in the midwest having to deal with the tornados.

Hey Bonnie....I didn't realize you were in the midst of the fires.....somehow picture them elsewhere in CA.....hope you are staying safe AND healthy........

was thinkin of you this week as I took my annual June jaunt to Maine and MY fav lighthouse........do you have a trip planned to YOURS????

just thought I'd stop in to say hello when I saw that you posted....

stay safe, gf
hugs
SMILE at your fellow stampers with a comment!!
Inky Ocean Gazer (my blog)