Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree553Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 06:54 PM   #3481
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinois Marge View Post
And I knew the poor, misunderstood and neglected iron would be cast out
Yes you did predict that!!!! But it was such an odd, old-fashioned looking iron. I've never even had an iron like that. And I'm old!!!

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-06-2013, 06:54 PM   #3482

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy otter View Post
I'm a bad person to ask. I still have my vintage Mr Coffee from when I moved here in 1989. I was all jazzed when I bought it because it had a feature where you could set it up the night before and it would brew coffee while you were sleeping and you could wake up to nice hot cup of fresh java.
Yeah Mr. Coffee's are good, I just have the cone filters already! ARGH!! That's a nice feature.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:55 PM   #3483

Quote:
Ex-MIL had one with a carafe that kept coffee piping hot and the pause feature. If I ever had to replace Mr Coffee I'd probably look for something like that. I agree with you on all the features though. Simple stuff seems to last longer.
See there you go.

Pause feature, ability to make the night before and have it start without you, thermal carafe..... That's it.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:56 PM   #3484

My Pampered Chef carafe holds the coffee after I take a mug, but won't fit the whole pot. So it's decent, if I don't end up with a thermal carafe.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:03 PM   #3485

Quote:
OfficeMax is booming and hiring at HQ like crazy. Running out of room. Some departments are getting kicked out of HQ to a satellite building in Itasca. Glad its not us, there would go my 5 minute commute.

We are also moving to another floor in April, co-located with development. Open floor plan so we collaborate more and be more speedy. The expert told us at recent all-hands meeting that noise volume actually drops in open layout. I didn't believe him but based on what you say, there might be some truth to it.
That 5 minute commute must be really nice. When I first moved to FL to be with DH, he was less than a mile from work. After we bought a house, he was about 2 miles away til IBM changed his office. Then it still wasn't bad. Almost 5 miles then. Nice huh.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:04 PM   #3486

Quote:
I'll keep you posted on how it goes--and look forward to hearing how it works out on your end! It would be pretty quiet for us if we could gag the visiting bigwigs, LOL. I love sitting close to people I work with--I think it does help a lot when you're trying to solve complex problems. Even with a screen share there's no substitute for seeing someone's expression when they get it--or aren't quite there yet. My manager's big on communicating ideas through pictures so if I couldn't sit there and doodle things out on a white board with him it would probably take us a lot longer to sort out some of the really intricate stuff we need to put together.

I just like having enough of a cube wall that now and then I can just go back to my little den and be left alone to think and work. Oh--that and pin up pictures from trips.
Yeah that is kinda weird. Oh well, hope it's okay for you in the long run!

Old 02-06-2013, 07:20 PM   #3487
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Band Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose View Post
That 5 minute commute must be really nice. When I first moved to FL to be with DH, he was less than a mile from work. After we bought a house, he was about 2 miles away til IBM changed his office. Then it still wasn't bad. Almost 5 miles then. Nice huh.
DH got out of the Navy in 1990. Since then, the shortest commute he's had has been about 20 miles, one way. And that was only for about 3 or 4 years.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:18 AM   #3488
Directionally Challenged Parrothead

Quote:
And I knew the poor, misunderstood and neglected iron would be cast out
I was so sad.

I still iron my nice shirts for work when I wear them (wore a lot of cotton knit in old location). Which will now be... every day. (I still iron in batches when I do laundry. Ironing and classical music FTW).
Old 02-07-2013, 02:51 AM   #3489

Quote:
Yeah that is kinda weird. Oh well, hope it's okay for you in the long run!
Well, the theory is that if you need to do something that requires actual conversation, you book one of the 7 conference rooms on the floor. Which is great in theory except that one single person will book one to dial into a conference call (which we've been told is fine to do from our desks). So you'll have 3 or 4 people who need to do something jointly and all the rooms are full of one person on the phone.

Yesterday I'd booked a room for our group's weekly meeting and a bunch of the execs had evidently just gone in there to make a call. When they saw us waiting outside the room (group of 6 people with laptops, coffee and notebooks, coming up on the half hour, DUH), they started glaring at us. I though mgr handled it well. He stood prominently in front of glass next to door looking at his watch for a min, then a 1 min past, quietly opened the door and asked them diplomatically if they realized we'd booked it, and was there a misunderstanding? They got really snarly and huffy with him--seriously like huffy kids whose Mom told them they couldn't do something.

Actually having slept on it, I think that's why the floor kind of freaks me out: it's partly the open cubes but mostly the suit crowd walking around treating everyone else like peons who don't matter. That's the side of corporate America I don't enjoy--I guess I've been lucky enough to have spent so many years in an environment (with only 2 or 3 exceptions) with great managers who really care about the people they work with, and where people judge you by your work, not who made your tie or pumps. I definitely feel much more content and at home in that setting.

The other worker bees on our floor are the project managers and quants (uber-high level mathematical statisticians, absolutely brilliant folks) so it's not like the execs are sharing the floor with homeless people who wandered in to use the rest rooms. And frankly, even if they were, there's no reason to look down your nose at the other human beings (although I do support holding your nose if they're wearing too much cologne or haven't showered for a few weeks). I think I just read too much Walt Whitman at an impressionable age to have much patience with that. Fine, dude, I get that what you make in a quarter would probably pay off my mortgage and that's awesome! But we all still play ball for the same team, and without the quants and project mgrs and us, you couldn't afford those $400 shoes.

On the other hand, it's a wonderful opportunity to dredge up all those observational skills I learned in anthropology back in college. I think if I see it as an opportunity to observe a newly-discovered tribe, that might make it kind of fun.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:31 AM   #3490
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Well, the theory is that if you need to do something that requires actual conversation, you book one of the 7 conference rooms on the floor. Which is great in theory except that one single person will book one to dial into a conference call (which we've been told is fine to do from our desks). So you'll have 3 or 4 people who need to do something jointly and all the rooms are full of one person on the phone.

Yesterday I'd booked a room for our group's weekly meeting and a bunch of the execs had evidently just gone in there to make a call. When they saw us waiting outside the room (group of 6 people with laptops, coffee and notebooks, coming up on the half hour, DUH), they started glaring at us. I though mgr handled it well. He stood prominently in front of glass next to door looking at his watch for a min, then a 1 min past, quietly opened the door and asked them diplomatically if they realized we'd booked it, and was there a misunderstanding? They got really snarly and huffy with him--seriously like huffy kids whose Mom told them they couldn't do something.

Actually having slept on it, I think that's why the floor kind of freaks me out: it's partly the open cubes but mostly the suit crowd walking around treating everyone else like peons who don't matter. That's the side of corporate America I don't enjoy--I guess I've been lucky enough to have spent so many years in an environment (with only 2 or 3 exceptions) with great managers who really care about the people they work with, and where people judge you by your work, not who made your tie or pumps. I definitely feel much more content and at home in that setting.

The other worker bees on our floor are the project managers and quants (uber-high level mathematical statisticians, absolutely brilliant folks) so it's not like the execs are sharing the floor with homeless people who wandered in to use the rest rooms. And frankly, even if they were, there's no reason to look down your nose at the other human beings (although I do support holding your nose if they're wearing too much cologne or haven't showered for a few weeks). I think I just read too much Walt Whitman at an impressionable age to have much patience with that. Fine, dude, I get that what you make in a quarter would probably pay off my mortgage and that's awesome! But we all still play ball for the same team, and without the quants and project mgrs and us, you couldn't afford those $400 shoes.

On the other hand, it's a wonderful opportunity to dredge up all those observational skills I learned in anthropology back in college. I think if I see it as an opportunity to observe a newly-discovered tribe, that might make it kind of fun.
Seriously, this post cracked me up.

Especially this:
Old 02-07-2013, 04:32 AM   #3491
Stazon Splitcoast

Freezing rain this morning. Oh joy.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:34 AM   #3492
blaBBermouth

Quote:
I'm doing my share!

User Name, Posts:

Stampin Wrose 1,080
muddy otter 571
PH in VA 344
Illinois Marge 277
sewsplendidstamper 264
Englishrose 255
jmscoping 236
stampinbb 210
I'm a disgrace to chat groups everywhere. *hangs head in shame*
Old 02-07-2013, 06:39 AM   #3493
blaBBermouth

Quote:
Irrelephant!!!!

I LOVE it!!! Please thank YDS for me. Tee hee!

It's been a crazy week. We're getting settled in our new building. It's corporate HQ, so full of teeny women in Ann Taylor wardrobes with perfect hair and dudes in suits and ties. We don't have cubes any more, just desks, so I feel like a giant free range chicken sitting out in the open. Can you tell I miss my old window cube with its nice walls?

It's a very weird atmosphere--a cross between a funeral home (with no walls, everyone on the floor is very quiet) and Grand Central Station (you have to walk through our area to get through the exec offices so lots of bigwigs walking up and down the aisle next to our desks having very LOUD conversations because we're all basically furniture). I finally brought my iPod in and I'm dealing by listening to the Grateful Dead and John Denver all day while I solve problems for the Man.

Oh, and still wearing clogs to work. Sorry, but if I'm in khaki slacks, a silk shirt, and nice silver jewelry, the Ann Taylor crew can suck it. I'm not loving it but I still like the part where going in every day enables me to continue living indoors and buy kibble for everyone so I'll deal.
I love Ann Taylor.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:58 AM   #3494
blaBBermouth

Sorry you aren't enjoying the new work environment, MO. I have to admit, having only worked in small office settings, it sounds pretty exciting to me.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:22 AM   #3495
neglecting the kids and housework

good morning. Already baking PB cookies for a person at work (whom I shockingly actually enjoy working with because he actually performs duties) who is moving up and on, or should I say southward and sort of laterally and for Jacob's birhtday celebration at school.
Later I hope to get two 14x14 cakes baked off so I can assemble and decorate tomorrow. Oh and I'm cleaning.
And feeding people. Tomorrow I'm not making dinner tho. No way I'm going to work all day cleaning then mess up the kitchen again lol
Old 02-07-2013, 09:41 AM   #3496
blaBBermouth

We want to see cake pics, V.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:42 AM   #3497
blaBBermouth

I usually do a deep cleaning every other week. It always falls on the same week as grocery week(bc I like to clean everything before restocking the pantry and fridge). So, I end up cleaning and then going to the grocery but refusing to cook even though we've just loaded up on groceries. Grocery day is eat out day or pizza day.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:46 AM   #3498
blaBBermouth

I'm got a pumpkin bread in the oven.

For those counting calories, I have a tasty little treat recipe.

1 box of spice cake mix
15oz can of pumpkin

Mix together, bake at 350 for 15-18 minutes. Makes 18 cupcakes. 84 calories each.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:54 AM   #3499

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampinbb View Post
I usually do a deep cleaning every other week. It always falls on the same week as grocery week(bc I like to clean everything before restocking the pantry and fridge). So, I end up cleaning and then going to the grocery but refusing to cook even though we've just loaded up on groceries. Grocery day is eat out day or pizza day.
I don't clean that much nearly that often. Bathroom every two weeks or so with touch ups in between. I don't even go to the grocery store every month since I can pick up stuff at Target while I work. I usually time my grocery trips to big meat sales
Old 02-07-2013, 09:56 AM   #3500

almost done with like, 9 dozen cookies? I should count huh? I just need to have enough to give about 60 to the school. I may give another manager who is leaving the left overs but I really don't want to
Old 02-07-2013, 10:21 AM   #3501

Quote:
Freezing rain this morning. Oh joy.
Yeah lots of big bad weather out your end of the country.

Little rain here.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:21 AM   #3502

Quote:
I'm a disgrace to chat groups everywhere. *hangs head in shame*
Just remember to say, "I have five kids." That excuse can work for just about anything!!!!! lol

Old 02-07-2013, 10:22 AM   #3503

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewsplendidstamper View Post
almost done with like, 9 dozen cookies? I should count huh? I just need to have enough to give about 60 to the school. I may give another manager who is leaving the left overs but I really don't want to
*snort*

You know all the good ones do move up and on......

Old 02-07-2013, 10:22 AM   #3504

Quote:
Yeah I tend to do the same thing. Bring home all this stuff, get it all put away, and say, "let's go out."

Old 02-07-2013, 10:23 AM   #3505

Quote:
I'm got a pumpkin bread in the oven.

For those counting calories, I have a tasty little treat recipe.

1 box of spice cake mix
15oz can of pumpkin

Mix together, bake at 350 for 15-18 minutes. Makes 18 cupcakes. 84 calories each.
I have heard of that from WW people. I believe you can also combine a can of soda with a cake mix. Diet soda means no calories.

The only sub I actively do now is subbing applesauce for the oil.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:24 AM   #3506

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewsplendidstamper View Post
I don't clean that much nearly that often. Bathroom every two weeks or so with touch ups in between. I don't even go to the grocery store every month since I can pick up stuff at Target while I work. I usually time my grocery trips to big meat sales
That's what she said!

Old 02-07-2013, 10:47 AM   #3507

Quote:
That's what she said!
thank you!
Old 02-07-2013, 10:49 AM   #3508

So all the cookies are baked. I packaged up two dozen and delivered those and got a few cold things at Target that I didn't get yesterday (yogurt, milk, butter) and now will be packing up some for the school and I will get rid of some to the other manager. Don't need them in the house. I need to make lunch and also start the cakes.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:22 AM   #3509

Fun times, V!

I can remember a lot of cupcakes in my car on the way to school. The kids' classes had 50 kids in them. So four dozen. Store bought. Could NOT take in homemade cupcakes. Only did that one year, too expensive.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:25 AM   #3510

Their Montessori (public school magnet) classes were 3 in 1 so grades pre-K, pre-K and K were in one room with two teachers and two aides.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:25 AM   #3511

I need to get a shower......

Skipped yesterday......

Old 02-07-2013, 11:28 AM   #3512

So the horrible second period bad hockey call from our last game was indeed rescinded as they said it would be.

There was a big collision and no ref signalled a penalty. Because there wasn't one. Good hit. Both went down. But then the other guy chases our guy down and attacks him. So the refs have a confab and call the fight, call the other guy for instigating, but then tack on a penalty on the play (you know, the one nobody called anything?) and said he had hit the head with intent to harm. Um, seriously? That is NOT on the replay and how interesting nobody saw it.

So the next day it's rescinded. But that doesn't give us back the five minute power play the other team had not to mention the loss of our guy for the game because of his bad behavior (which was not). Grrrrrrrrrrr......

Guess this is how the Chicago Blackhawks continue to win, I guess their coach is scarier than ours.

Sorry Marge. lol

Old 02-07-2013, 11:29 AM   #3513

And I don't understand why we had 3 games in 4 nights and now three nights off. WTH?

Old 02-07-2013, 12:07 PM   #3514

Oh hey Wrose my sister is treating our family to a night at the Stockton Thunder. We've NEVER seen any hockey. My sister told me to describe it to Jacob as wrestling on ice lol
Old 02-07-2013, 12:35 PM   #3515

HA HA HA HA HA!!! Awesome!

"I went to a fight last night, and a hockey game broke out!"

ha ha ha

Old 02-07-2013, 12:40 PM   #3516

I love hockey, I discovered it back when I didn't have a TV in Atlanta, a good friend had season tickets and I frequently was his "date" - he had two seats with the hope of taking a date, but 99% of the time didn't....

He generally went with two other guys who left their wives home. One of them (the one with the handlebar mustache) became a dear friend until he died on February 29, 1988. Three months after he and his wife had their first child. He had an aortic aneurysm, got up one morning, and it burst.

The friend I went with lives in Colorado and I think he and his wife adopted a child from Russia a number of years ago. He's horrible at keeping in touch.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:20 PM   #3517

One cake layer done and out of the pan cooling! I'm so nervous! Gotta go get Z at school then come back and make another double recipe of brown sugar poundcake for the other layer.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:11 PM   #3518

Why so nervous? It'll be fine! You're doing tons. Enjoy!

Old 02-07-2013, 02:31 PM   #3519

Second layer in oven. Time for a drink! just kidding

I'm nervous because I have no back up plan. If the cake doesnt' come out of the pan right I'm kinda screwed. The first one was good so I'm a little less nervous. But give me and hour and I"ll be nervous again when ti's time to turn this one out.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:50 PM   #3520

Quote:
Seriously, this post cracked me up.

Especially this:
I did feel much better when I realized that! Of course shortly after that I woke up with horrible sinus headache and threw up.

WFH'd today. Sigh.