Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree553Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 08:39 AM   #2841
Directionally Challenged Parrothead

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlysonRR View Post
I started working for a different home inspection co - we'll see how it goes. They claim to have a higher density of visits, which increases the number of houses I can visit (and thus, the pay) so that will be good if it's true.

DH is coming home again tomorrow am for DD's 11th birthday, then three weeks later for DS's 14th birthday so I don't have to miss him quite as much in Dec/Jan/Feb. Then we usually have a long break til April, and again til June. Not sure how we'll do it this year - the kids and I are not going to CA this summer to save money for a trip to England in the fall (not sure how many of us will be going though - it's sooooo expensive!). So DH will come sometime in the summer, likely over 4th of July so he can be a pyro

DD's having a slumber party starting tomorrow after school. Silly me forgot that tomorrow is early dismissal - ack, six 10-11yo girls for 24 hours! Send positive vibes at my ears, LOL.

DD's foot is healing - she still uses the boot and crutches in the hallway at school, but is walking on the boot without crutches in classrooms, and using a surgical shoe at home.

Cookie goes almost everywhere I go, but he has stayed home in the kennel for as many as six hours without seeming upset.

Hmmm, that's about it.

Thanks for asking, Amber Have you tried prune juice with your DD? Just an ounce or two did the trick for me when I was a baby, apparently...
Is home inspection fun? I'd imagine the crawl spaces and attics aren't a picnic but it must be interesting to learn about the contstruction and see what people have done with their homes.

SO glad to hear that DD's doing better. You are very brave to host the sleepover! Lots of positive thoughts headed your way!

Please send pats to Cookie--he sounds wonderful!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-20-2013, 08:40 AM   #2842

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose View Post
I'm getting my hair done tomorrow. I moved it up to four weeks this time so it would look good for my birthday. ha ha ha
WROSE!!!! Happy birthday!

I hear they're throwing a big party in your honor in DC tomorrow!!!

Seriously... great fun to celebrate your special day! I hope it's WONDERFUL!!!
Old 01-20-2013, 08:49 AM   #2843

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampinbb View Post
Congrats to DS2!

I just wanted to say one thing...I hear that comment about parents doing kids projects for them all the time. It's kind of a pet peeve of mine. I have heard that comment about every single science fair project of DD's and the assumption is always that because DH works in the science field and that I'm crafty that he helps w her project and I help w her board. We don't do either one of those things, ever. I won't even push the buttons on the cricut to help her cut letters. It really kind of hurts my feelings when people say it(to me, not when you said it. LOL). The assumption that DD is incapable of doing the work herself and that DH and I would cheat is insulting.
Ugh. Don't you sometimes wish we really could Gibbs-slap people IRL?

I'd get a lot more exercise.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:39 AM   #2844

Quote:
Originally Posted by PH in VA View Post
Steve the repair guy couldn't find anything wrong with Phoebe. ODS was able to talk with him in person yesterday. It turned out the problem was user error. ODS didn't realize that his fingers were, in his words, "sliding off" something they were supposed to be covering, resulting in the airy noise he was hearing on the one note. He had thought that the pads that cover some of the holes weren't sealing properly.

So the good news is that there was no charge, since no repairs were actually made.
That must have been a HUGE relief on both counts! Especially with the competition coming up!

Steve sounds like a good guy--and ODS's persistence says a lot on his end too. Not many people care enough to follow up to that degree.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:40 AM   #2845

Quote:
Originally Posted by Englishrose View Post
Oh oh and one parent I was talking to last weekend actually said " I'll be doing his on Monday" I must have looked questioning ( didn't mean to) and she then said " well he can't do it, it won't be any good." Sigh. Mum got 100 on his project.
We've moved beyond Gibbs-slaps into straight up pianogram territory.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:44 AM   #2846

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinois Marge View Post
Stamp club tonight got postponed till next Friday. The demo had to deal with a closing on her late mother's condo.
Oh. That must be a hard thing to get through.

All those milestones and final goodbyes all over again.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:46 AM   #2847

Quote:
Remember when DS got stitches? When he cut his knee on summer vacation in Ohio where there was no insurance company? And went to ER in middle of night.

I was on the phone today trying to get things paid. Not the first time. Three bills. Some had a wrong ID number.

So let me just say

AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!
Sometimes I wonder, given the number of folks I've heard repeatedly encounter that sort of error, if the insurance companies don't screw these things up on purpose, or randomly assign a certain number to a screw-up program, in the hopes that the insured will just give up on fighting to straighten it out and pay the bills themselves.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:47 AM   #2848

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainsong View Post
In my opinion, if any child turns in a project obviously done by parents, they should receive an F--and a note should be sent home when the assignment is given so there is no misunderstanding the policy.

But then, I'm a hard-nosed wench.

Rainsong
I'd LOVE that.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:54 AM   #2849

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainsong View Post
Hanging in there.

Dh seems to be doing okay. His "tumor friend" took him out today for brunch and a visit to the salvage yard (dh had a dryer to dispose of). Then friend took him to pick up free food at all the places he knows.

Ended up with more rice, more macaroni, more bread--all the things to help me maintain my voluptuous figure!

Oh, and three HUGE bags of chips and a five lb can of green beans. We will gift our neighbor with the green beans as her church makes soup several times a year.

There was lots of other stuff, but too numerous to list. Just thought I'd tell you about all the "healthy" food offered to the poor. One time we ended up with 16--yes--sixteen! lbs (pounds!!!) of spaghetti pasta! (We gifted it to other family members.)

With that said, I'm bothered by receiving all these free things. For one, we aren't in dire straights--yet--and I don't want to take away from someone who might need it. For another, it makes me feel guilty for accepting it, but "tumor friend" wants to help and this is his way of doing it.

Sometimes I feel like we're on a social carousel. People call. They visit. More calls. More visits. And in between--doctor appts.

It's nice to be loved.

From a distance! (Just kidding.)

Rainsong
That sounds like both a huge amount of support and a bit of a whirlwind when you want quiet sometimes. Don't know if this helps, but one thing my sister did a couple of years ago was start an e-mail list. Sometimes while keeping folks updated, she'd add thanks for everyone's concern and that one thing that would help them the most would be a few quiet days to get settled again, that she'd send an update when they felt up to calls and being back in touch.

It sounds comforting to have so much love around both of you, though. I guess even if it's not always optimally what you'd choose, you very much appreciate the spirit and kindness. That says so much about you and DH.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:56 AM   #2850

Quote:
Just called the police on a "far" neighbor who consistently lets his big boxer (?) run without a leash in the park.

In the past few years, this dog has, while unleashed, attacked Shadow twice.

It was almost 40 degrees so took Shadow to the park for a longer walk. There they were, unleashed as usual. I shouted to him to leash his dog and he got belligerent. So, enough is enough.

There have been so many neighborhood complaints about that big dog running loose, and my town has a strict leash law.

I'm shaking. But, enough is enough. The association also just changed the association rules on dogs -- totally because of him.
GOOD for you, Marge. Um, sorry, if you want to break the rules and then get belligerent about what happens next, that's on you. And with an aggressive dog like that, he's NUTS. No one has the right to put others--including other dogs--at risk like that.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:00 AM   #2851

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewsplendidstamper View Post
Got out with my brother last night and met up with a recruiter. A little chat, hand over my resume and she says "OH! I have tons of things I could hook you up with! I could get you in about 20 things right now. You're resume shows longevity and fantastic customer service!" So there's that
V my fingers are crossed! Toes too!!!

Keep us posted.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:01 AM   #2852

Quote:
DD got car fixed, we'll pay for that. She's gone to pick it up. The a/c also wasn't working when she hit Florida so that was part of it.
Glad to hear everything's sorted. I imagine she must be, too!

Pippin looks happy with his new furniture!
Old 01-20-2013, 10:03 AM   #2853

Quote:
I stopped short of signing a ticket which would have forced a court appearance. Courtesy as a neighbor, probably misguided.

But 2 uniformed officers knocked on his door to warn him.
Fingers crossed that he gets the message. The phrase 'flaming arse hat' comes to mind.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:07 AM   #2854

Quote:
Your neighbor deserves to be strung up by his toenails for pulling that kind of crap with you.
Well, now that I know he does it I don't panic any more. But I still get majorly irritated. We have so little vacation in the world any more. Why would someone think it's remotely funny to raise someone's blood pressure when they've gone off to relax? Oh, wait... the same person who thinks it's courteous to start a pot luck dinner party at 6pm on an day when people have to work, because if he doesn't work that day, it's not a problem. Or think it's the most generous thing in the world to lecture someone whose husband left 5 weeks ago that they need to get out more when they can't even say 'good morning' to someone without breaking down and sobbing. Sigh. I think it's not that any one of these things is a huge deal so much as it's the cumulative effect.

I think next time I go on vacation, it might be worth the $5 fee to block his number. Although I'll probably make one last attempt at just flat out asking him never to do that again while I'm on vacation and explaining that I get he likes 'goofing' on people, but that it has the opposite effect on me.

Then I'll block him if it doesn't stop.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:15 AM   #2855

Quote:
I have to admit I gave a mental fist bump to the director of the high school band. He had the students arranged so that first chair flute, first chair B-flat clarinet, first chair french horn, and first chair trumpet were the closest of their instruments to the front of the stage. I don't know all the students well enough to know where first chair trombone, tuba, and bass clarinet were. But with the alto sax players, he had the last chair closest to the front, and then the second to the last chair, and on toward the back of the stage. And because percussion switches around between mallets, snare, timpani, cymbals, wind chimes, and anything else needed, the "chair" notation is kind of irrelevant.

First chair flute was our band uniform chair mom's DD - a super sweet girl who was given a solo and she rocked it. First chair french horn was also from our school, and ODS was 2nd chair B-flat clarinet but we still had a good view of him. I don't really know the first chair trumpet player because he goes to another school, but he was drum major of his school's marching band, so I was able to recognize him after seeing him at band competitions.

First chair alto sax was the kid I've referred to as Lord Farquaad.
Sounds like it was a great concert!
Old 01-20-2013, 10:19 AM   #2856

Quote:
Yippee!! Down 1.8 at WW this morning!`
GO MARGE!!!

Looking forward to catching up tomorrow, too!
Old 01-20-2013, 10:24 AM   #2857

FUN morning! We opened presents and started the Christmas feast cooking. Niece and sister are out sledding, BIL and parents are off in their respective rooms napping. My sister gave me a JJill gift certificate--upside of Mom not printing any more photos is that sister and I logged on and she helped me pick things out! I bought 2 pair of slim ankle pants I'll wear all spring and a cute tunic-length t-shirt with a pleated bib. Can't wait for them to get to the house!

Now that I'm caught up, I'm off to hang with the ZZZZs for a bit.

E you all soon!
Old 01-20-2013, 11:02 AM   #2858
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Quote:
w00t!

That's great, Marge!

Man it's hard to lose my b'day month. I'm trying to balance it all. It ain't easy.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
Old 01-20-2013, 11:37 AM   #2859
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Band Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy otter View Post
Don't you sometimes wish we really could Gibbs-slap people IRL?
Often.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:58 AM   #2860
Band Mom

Quote:
That must have been a HUGE relief on both counts! Especially with the competition coming up!

Steve sounds like a good guy--and ODS's persistence says a lot on his end too. Not many people care enough to follow up to that degree.
The instrument place is one of those rare businesses that is small and family owned and you feel like you get to know the people and they get to know you. We've been dealing with them since we bought Clari.. so I guess that's 5.5 years. There's Steve, who does most of the repair work, Anna the receptionist/billing manager, and Allen, the owner/salesman/delivery guy. Allen is the son & nephew of the two brothers who started the business.

I actually felt like we were cheating on them when we bought Phoebe from a larger store in the DC area. Because the local store is pretty small they don't carry a lot of inventory. ODS had tried out the two intermediate clarinets the local store had in stock at the time and just didn't feel good about either one of them, so we went to the bigger store that his band teacher had suggested to us.

We talked to Allen Monday when we took Phoebe there. He said he remembered seeing me in the store before, and he'd seen ODS at school (he goes to our middle & high schools each Tuesday to pick up any instruments for repairs and drop off any fixed ones or new purchases), but he hadn't realized we were the same family. Then he started talking about another family from our school who he said it took him a long time to realize the daughter and mother were related. It was just kinda funny.

But anyway, yeah, it's a pretty nice little business to work with.

Another plus if ODS goes to JMU is that he'll be about 5-10 minutes away from there if any of his instruments need work. If he goes to a different college, he'd have to find a place in that area.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:02 PM   #2861
Band Mom

Quote:
Good for you, Marge!
Old 01-20-2013, 12:07 PM   #2862

Quote:
Doesn't that totally want to make you Gibbs slap the parents?
I tried to Gibbs slap DS once, it's hard to do!

Old 01-20-2013, 12:07 PM   #2863

Quote:
We've moved beyond Gibbs-slaps into straight up pianogram territory.
You forgot wood mounted background stamps in between there.

I was explaining those to DH about a week ago.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:08 PM   #2864
Band Mom

Quote:
PH, music is such a huge part of your and your son's life. I'm looking forward to hearing college marching band stories in the future --
Our middle school band teacher graduated from VA Tech, and our high school band teacher is a JMU graduate, so the two of them have a friendly competition over how many band students from our school they can get to go to their alma mater.

The running joke is that they ask the students, "Do you want to participate in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, or travel internationally? Or do you want to go to a bowl game?"
Old 01-20-2013, 12:09 PM   #2865
Band Mom

Hey there birthday girl!!! Are you having a fabby day?
Old 01-20-2013, 12:29 PM   #2866

Quote:
Sometimes I wonder, given the number of folks I've heard repeatedly encounter that sort of error, if the insurance companies don't screw these things up on purpose, or randomly assign a certain number to a screw-up program, in the hopes that the insured will just give up on fighting to straighten it out and pay the bills themselves.
Yeah not gonna happen considering bills are (1) over $2,200; (2) $1,084; and (3) $46; whereas in network would probably be $100-150 or less. Well I could see just paying the $46 but that's one that probably would be free otherwise.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:34 PM   #2867

Quote:
Glad to hear everything's sorted. I imagine she must be, too!

Pippin looks happy with his new furniture!
Yes he does! Wonder how he'll do when she's gone all day? She might be having someone look in on him.

She got renter's insurance too because we told her to and that it was cheap, and it is.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:39 PM   #2868

Quote:
Hey there birthday girl!!! Are you having a fabby day?
So far so good! Thanks!

Old 01-20-2013, 12:42 PM   #2869

Quote:
The instrument place is one of those rare businesses that is small and family owned and you feel like you get to know the people and they get to know you. We've been dealing with them since we bought Clari.. so I guess that's 5.5 years. There's Steve, who does most of the repair work, Anna the receptionist/billing manager, and Allen, the owner/salesman/delivery guy. Allen is the son & nephew of the two brothers who started the business.

I actually felt like we were cheating on them when we bought Phoebe from a larger store in the DC area. Because the local store is pretty small they don't carry a lot of inventory. ODS had tried out the two intermediate clarinets the local store had in stock at the time and just didn't feel good about either one of them, so we went to the bigger store that his band teacher had suggested to us.

We talked to Allen Monday when we took Phoebe there. He said he remembered seeing me in the store before, and he'd seen ODS at school (he goes to our middle & high schools each Tuesday to pick up any instruments for repairs and drop off any fixed ones or new purchases), but he hadn't realized we were the same family. Then he started talking about another family from our school who he said it took him a long time to realize the daughter and mother were related. It was just kinda funny.

But anyway, yeah, it's a pretty nice little business to work with.

Another plus if ODS goes to JMU is that he'll be about 5-10 minutes away from there if any of his instruments need work. If he goes to a different college, he'd have to find a place in that area.
Sounds like our area. There's a small local music place that suffices for most of the kids' school lessons. But there's a larger place about a 20 minute drive north of here, and you generally end up there if you get more serious.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:43 PM   #2870

Quote:
Sounds like our area. There's a small local music place that suffices for most of the kids' school lessons. But there's a larger place about a 20 minute drive north of here, and you generally end up there if you get more serious.
Except our small place, while apparently run and owned by one person, I've never seen anyone else there, and their hours are limited... no nice family feeling, or anything special.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:45 PM   #2871

Quote:
Well, now that I know he does it I don't panic any more. But I still get majorly irritated. We have so little vacation in the world any more. Why would someone think it's remotely funny to raise someone's blood pressure when they've gone off to relax? Oh, wait... the same person who thinks it's courteous to start a pot luck dinner party at 6pm on an day when people have to work, because if he doesn't work that day, it's not a problem. Or think it's the most generous thing in the world to lecture someone whose husband left 5 weeks ago that they need to get out more when they can't even say 'good morning' to someone without breaking down and sobbing. Sigh. I think it's not that any one of these things is a huge deal so much as it's the cumulative effect.

I think next time I go on vacation, it might be worth the $5 fee to block his number. Although I'll probably make one last attempt at just flat out asking him never to do that again while I'm on vacation and explaining that I get he likes 'goofing' on people, but that it has the opposite effect on me.

Then I'll block him if it doesn't stop.
Ehhhh I wondered if it was him. Sigh.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:46 PM   #2872

Football Game. Local Niners vs. Atlanta. I don't think we care that much. I'm sure we have friends in both locations that care.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:49 PM   #2873

Quote:
FUN morning! We opened presents and started the Christmas feast cooking. Niece and sister are out sledding, BIL and parents are off in their respective rooms napping. My sister gave me a JJill gift certificate--upside of Mom not printing any more photos is that sister and I logged on and she helped me pick things out! I bought 2 pair of slim ankle pants I'll wear all spring and a cute tunic-length t-shirt with a pleated bib. Can't wait for them to get to the house!

Now that I'm caught up, I'm off to hang with the ZZZZs for a bit.

E you all soon!
Sounds nice!! Enjoy the nap.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:50 PM   #2874

Quote:
PH, music is such a huge part of your and your son's life. I'm looking forward to hearing college marching band stories in the future --
Ditto!!!!!

Old 01-20-2013, 01:08 PM   #2875

Holy cow my home town highs next week for Tues. Wed. and Thurs. are below 20. For Highs.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:03 PM   #2876

I'm amazed that the 49ers won! Wow.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:37 PM   #2877
neglecting the kids and housework

hey hey
Marge congrats on the weigh in. You're moving in the right direction

Is a Gibbs slap the back of the head thing? I prefer a throat punch myself.

Wrose happy birthday. Lots of changes this year huh? Hope you get a good celebration this week.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:56 PM   #2878

A throat punch is vicious and for when you mean to hurt. A Gibbs smack is just a little wake-up call for someone you care about.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:56 PM   #2879

Yeah lots of changes. I'm much less emotional now everyone is settled. That travelling crap was tough.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:43 PM   #2880
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Is home inspection fun? I'd imagine the crawl spaces and attics aren't a picnic but it must be interesting to learn about the contstruction and see what people have done with their homes.
It's not that involved - no crawl spaces or attics. These are inspections typically for mortgage holders (banks or credit unions) or real estate companies (for QC of their agents and/or vendors), so it's just taking photos of certain locations in the property and sometimes giving the homeowner a letter from their mortgage company. It's not very lucrative, but it is very flexible, which is what works at the moment. It's still not clear to me if I'm making any money after expenses (gas) - hopefully this new, bigger company will make it more obvious!