Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree553Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 12:39 AM   #2721
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose View Post
Thanks for the update, Alyson! I don't now how you two do it. Well, Navy spouses do it (get out of the gutter!), and others deployed....
I think about you guys (all of you) when I'm sorting paper. I picked up a cheap stacking set of 5 large plastic bins with attached lids. I knew exactly what to put in there. I had sorted scraps into general sizes and types (DP separate from solids), but I had trays stacked and they were just going to get dusty that way!

I remember when DH was gone to take care of his mom, basically from mid august til mid November. I visited him once.

I did a lot of sorting paper back then!

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-18-2013, 06:56 AM   #2722
blaBBermouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Englishrose View Post
DS2 won 2nd place at the science fair with his banana project. DS1 didn't get anything for his bacteria project but that's OK. He could have done better but felt that what he turned in was good enough. We don't do our kids projects for them ( though you can tell the kids whose parents do the things for them!)
Congrats to DS2!

I just wanted to say one thing...I hear that comment about parents doing kids projects for them all the time. It's kind of a pet peeve of mine. I have heard that comment about every single science fair project of DD's and the assumption is always that because DH works in the science field and that I'm crafty that he helps w her project and I help w her board. We don't do either one of those things, ever. I won't even push the buttons on the cricut to help her cut letters. It really kind of hurts my feelings when people say it(to me, not when you said it. LOL). The assumption that DD is incapable of doing the work herself and that DH and I would cheat is insulting.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:04 AM   #2723
blaBBermouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlysonRR View Post
Thanks for asking, Amber Have you tried prune juice with your DD? Just an ounce or two did the trick for me when I was a baby, apparently...
DD is three now. Yikes! I don't think I could get her to drink it, but I will buy some and give it a try. I have used it several times for babies and yup..it works quickly! The pedi told me to give her a tsp of miralax in her morning milk. I've been doing that, but she is still remarkable at holding it. I do not have that kind of ability at all!
Old 01-18-2013, 07:09 AM   #2724
blaBBermouth

For years, I barely saw DH. Basically we'd go to church and have lunch together on Sundays. That was it.

He was in college full time in the mornings, slept in the afternoons and worked full time(actually about 60 hrs per week) during third shift. I worked a day shift job three days per week and an evening job at least two days, plus Saturday evenings. Sometimes I'd work more shifts if we needed more money. I also had a third job cleaning the church and would spend Saturdays during the day doing that. I'd squeeze in college courses whereever I could, but we put his schooling as the priority.

We'd see each other in passing a couple of times a week, but Sunday was about the only time we really saw one another. Sometimes classes would work out that we'd see each other a couple of minutes between classes.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:11 AM   #2725
blaBBermouth

Time to go get DS from preschool. I can't believe that in just a couple of weeks, its time to register Bbaby for preschool and DS2 for kindergarten. Whoa. Its just incredible. And the following year all of my kids will be in some type of school. Pure insanity.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:09 AM   #2726
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Band Mom

I have to say that I just really don't enjoy the whole science fair project stuff, period. It just isn't my figurative cup of tea. Same goes with making models of cells, and leaf collections, and all that kind of stuff.

I did help YDS slightly with his ice cube project. He decided to pour the different stuffs (salt, black pepper, cinnamon, and sugar) on paper plates and then set the ice cube in them, rather than putting the ice cube down first and sprinkling the stuff over the ice. He wanted to go with all four substances at the same time so that room temperature wouldn't become a variable. He also had one set of paper plates with no substance. So I helped him with putting the ice cubes in place on the stuff so that some of the ice cubes wouldn't be sitting out several minutes longer than the others. But he made the ice cubes himself, he measured everything himself, he sat nearby with a stopwatch and took notes and photos of the melting process. (I got to hear how BORING it was to watch the ice cubes melt. The project was YOUR idea, kiddo!)

The whole project isn't due until the 30th, so he'll be working on writing up the report on it. His grade and the teachers' comments on that will determine whether or not he needs to make a project board for the science fair.

Last edited by PH in VA; 01-18-2013 at 08:13 AM..
Old 01-18-2013, 08:15 AM   #2727
Band Mom

ERK - how are your fruit trees doing? Has all the crazy cold weather passed through?
Old 01-18-2013, 08:16 AM   #2728
blaBBermouth

I think that's all normal levels of help PH.

Like you, science projects and that crap are not my cup of tea. In fact, I hate when we hav to do them. LOL. Probably why I help so little.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:17 AM   #2729
Band Mom

Alyson, it was good to hear from you. Have fun celebrating your DD's birthday! I hope the new job goes well for you.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:18 AM   #2730
blaBBermouth

Its supposed to be zero here on monday. Waaaahhhh. Last weekend I went to workout class in a tshirt and capri length running pants. Tomorrow, I'll have to wear a coat and scarf.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:20 AM   #2731
Band Mom

Hey there AmBBer!

As for Bbaby's problems - would giving her fiber help? Like a small amount of the Fiber One bars, or the cereals? I'm sorry this is all a problem for her.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:21 AM   #2732
blaBBermouth

PH, was DS able to get Pheobe fixed?
Old 01-18-2013, 08:22 AM   #2733
Band Mom

V, just wanted to say I've been thinking about y'all. {HUGS}
Old 01-18-2013, 08:26 AM   #2734
blaBBermouth

PH, she eats fiber one bars all the time! And frosted mini wheats are her favorite snack! And we put miralax in her milk ever morning! She just has the ability to literally hold it until her body physically will not let her. We are talking days here! She's doing the dance all every few minutes all morning. Goes into the restroom and doesn't poop. Fifteen minutes later we repeat this process. She'll probably give in and go some time tomorrow morning.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:28 AM   #2735
Band Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampinbb View Post
PH, was DS able to get Pheobe fixed?
Steve the repair guy couldn't find anything wrong with Phoebe. ODS was able to talk with him in person yesterday. It turned out the problem was user error. ODS didn't realize that his fingers were, in his words, "sliding off" something they were supposed to be covering, resulting in the airy noise he was hearing on the one note. He had thought that the pads that cover some of the holes weren't sealing properly.

So the good news is that there was no charge, since no repairs were actually made.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:30 AM   #2736
Band Mom

Quote:
PH, she eats fiber one bars all the time! And frosted mini wheats are her favorite snack! And we put miralax in her milk ever morning! She just has the ability to literally hold it until her body physically will not let her. We are talking days here! She's doing the dance all every few minutes all morning. Goes into the restroom and doesn't poop. Fifteen minutes later we repeat this process. She'll probably give in and go some time tomorrow morning.
Wow. Poor Bbaby.

At the risk of getting into TMI, do you think it's painful for her to go, or that something about pooping scares her?
Old 01-18-2013, 08:33 AM   #2737
Band Mom

School was delayed two hours this morning. The sun is shining now and the sky is a clear blue. First time we've seen that since sometime last week.

Our high school is hosting the All-County band event this year. (The five high schools rotate hosting duties.) The students from the other schools were supposed to come over today for a practice, but because of the two-hour delay, that was cancelled. So they'll just have practice tomorrow morning and early afternoon, and then the concert in the late afternoon.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:46 AM   #2738
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Congrats to DS2!

I just wanted to say one thing...I hear that comment about parents doing kids projects for them all the time. It's kind of a pet peeve of mine. I have heard that comment about every single science fair project of DD's and the assumption is always that because DH works in the science field and that I'm crafty that he helps w her project and I help w her board. We don't do either one of those things, ever. I won't even push the buttons on the cricut to help her cut letters. It really kind of hurts my feelings when people say it(to me, not when you said it. LOL). The assumption that DD is incapable of doing the work herself and that DH and I would cheat is insulting.
When you know the kids and their work ethic then see the science fair project you can tell! DS2s teacher taught 5th last year and she was saying how frustrating it is. She even had parents call ( who she never heard from the rest of the year) complain about a grade. She didn't mind except it wasn't the kids work!
Old 01-18-2013, 09:49 AM   #2739
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PH in VA View Post
ERK - how are your fruit trees doing? Has all the crazy cold weather passed through?
We just spent the last half hour moving the plants back to their usual positions. They all seem to have come through it, although the orange looks a little sorry for itself. Fingers crossed the fruit still ripens.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:49 AM   #2740
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
I think that's all normal levels of help PH.

Like you, science projects and that crap are not my cup of tea. In fact, I hate when we hav to do them. LOL. Probably why I help so little.
Last science fair for us!!!! Thank goat.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:51 AM   #2741
Stazon Splitcoast

OK. Need to make lunch for DH, go shopping for a few essentials ( milk!) then get the kids from school. Will be in and out over the weekend so PH hope the competition goes well, Amber, hope Bbaby goes well too when she finally lets it all out!
Old 01-18-2013, 09:53 AM   #2742
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
When you know the kids and their work ethic then see the science fair project you can tell! DS2s teacher taught 5th last year and she was saying how frustrating it is. She even had parents call ( who she never heard from the rest of the year) complain about a grade. She didn't mind except it wasn't the kids work!
Oh oh and one parent I was talking to last weekend actually said " I'll be doing his on Monday" I must have looked questioning ( didn't mean to) and she then said " well he can't do it, it won't be any good." Sigh. Mum got 100 on his project.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:07 AM   #2743
blaBBermouth

Quote:
Wow. Poor Bbaby.

At the risk of getting into TMI, do you think it's painful for her to go, or that something about pooping scares her?
I think maybe both. I think it was painful once and since then she has been scared. Because she holds it for so long, its a lot of poo. Like, a three year old who weighs 28lbs clogs my toilet. For serious. At this point, she is consuming so much fiber, that things are um...smoother.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:09 AM   #2744
blaBBermouth

Quote:
Wow. That just doesn't ever become an issue here. Most parents give so little attention to their kids' school work that they'd not dare do a science project for him and the parents that do care wouldn't cheat bc they know its wrong. WHo has time to do their kid's project? Not me!!!
Old 01-18-2013, 10:17 AM   #2745
blaBBermouth

ERK, I find that absolutely mind boggling. For this year's science project, DD did about 90% of her work during gifted release time. She didn't do anything on her own time except collect data.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:18 AM   #2746
blaBBermouth

I can honestly say, that I'm not even sure of the exact details of the project. LOL!

I know it has something to do with amount of exercise versus sleep patterns, etc.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:18 AM   #2747
blaBBermouth

Just heard from the hospital. Cinco's surgery is still scheduled for tuesday, time moved up to a little bit earlier, which is nice. No food or drink at all after 715am. Fun times.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:41 AM   #2748
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
I think maybe both. I think it was painful once and since then she has been scared. Because she holds it for so long, its a lot of poo. Like, a three year old who weighs 28lbs clogs my toilet. For serious. At this point, she is consuming so much fiber, that things are um...smoother.
I think Char had the same problem with her DD. Maybe she has some advice for you.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:43 AM   #2749
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
I can honestly say, that I'm not even sure of the exact details of the project. LOL!

I know it has something to do with amount of exercise versus sleep patterns, etc.
Interesting project with useful results for all.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:44 AM   #2750
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Just heard from the hospital. Cinco's surgery is still scheduled for tuesday, time moved up to a little bit earlier, which is nice. No food or drink at all after 715am. Fun times.
Her ears, right? Pity they couldn't do really early so food/drink wasn't too much of an issue.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:45 AM   #2751
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Wow. That just doesn't ever become an issue here. Most parents give so little attention to their kids' school work that they'd not dare do a science project for him and the parents that do care wouldn't cheat bc they know its wrong. WHo has time to do their kid's project? Not me!!!
And it's not most kids. Just the ones that do "cheat" are the ones who are really obvious.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:57 AM   #2752
Band Mom

Quote:
OK. Need to make lunch for DH, go shopping for a few essentials ( milk!) then get the kids from school. Will be in and out over the weekend so PH hope the competition goes well, Amber, hope Bbaby goes well too when she finally lets it all out!
No competition, just a concert by two bands - the middle school band, and the high school band. The bands are made up of the top auditioners from the county's four middle schools and five high schools.

YDS is in the middle school band. He didn't make it on percussion, but he's something like 15th chair B-flat clarinet (out of approximately 25)! Not too bad for how little he practices and for having his audition barely 4 months from when he started playing clarinet.

ODS is 2nd chair B-flat clarinet in the high school band. The two people he considers to be his main competition are seniors this year, so he's thinking he has a good chance of being first chair next year. That would be pretty cool.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:59 AM   #2753
Band Mom

Quote:
Oh oh and one parent I was talking to last weekend actually said " I'll be doing his on Monday" I must have looked questioning ( didn't mean to) and she then said " well he can't do it, it won't be any good ." Sigh. Mum got 100 on his project.
Way to instill confidence in your kid, Mum.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:41 AM   #2754
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Way to instill confidence in your kid, Mum.
I know!
Old 01-18-2013, 11:44 AM   #2755
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
No competition, just a concert by two bands - the middle school band, and the high school band. The bands are made up of the top auditioners from the county's four middle schools and five high schools.

YDS is in the middle school band. He didn't make it on percussion, but he's something like 15th chair B-flat clarinet (out of approximately 25)! Not too bad for how little he practices and for having his audition barely 4 months from when he started playing clarinet.

ODS is 2nd chair B-flat clarinet in the high school band. The two people he considers to be his main competition are seniors this year, so he's thinking he has a good chance of being first chair next year. That would be pretty cool.
It sounds like fun. I hear you on the practice! The boys have a concert in 3 weeks. It will be a combined orchestra with 3 other schools, 2 elementary and a middle school. It's going to be at the fairgrounds when our school district does its' annual showcase.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:45 AM   #2756
Stazon Splitcoast

Nice 3 day weekend ahead. After our frozen pools and record lows this week Sunday is looking to be 77. Is it a wonder people get sick here. Not only the standard day/night 30 swing but 40 degrees from one end of the week to the other!
Old 01-18-2013, 12:35 PM   #2757
blaBBermouth

Quote:
Her ears, right? Pity they couldn't do really early so food/drink wasn't too much of an issue.
Yup. Having PE tubes put in.

Her surgery is scheduled for 1115. I'm just glad it wasn't in the afternoon. Sheesh! I'd have a great time refusing food and drink to a one year old for that long. NOT!
Old 01-18-2013, 12:45 PM   #2758
blaBBermouth

ERK, we've been having swings like that too. In KY!!!!!
Old 01-18-2013, 12:55 PM   #2759
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Nice 3 day weekend ahead. After our frozen pools and record lows this week Sunday is looking to be 77. Is it a wonder people get sick here. Not only the standard day/night 30 swing but 40 degrees from one end of the week to the other!
It's 72 and the wind dropped. From jeans and a sweater and nice wool coat this morning to shorts and t-shirt!
Old 01-18-2013, 02:13 PM   #2760
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Quote:
Congrats to DS2!

Nice discussion you all had, yeah there are supportive parents and there are parents who do the project for the kid. lol In our house, I was an idiot about science, although I enjoyed it with the kids. DH was very knowledgeable but also excelled at "hands off." But very encouraging. I schlepped home a lot of those big cardboard thingies and offered up my tape dispenser and even, occasionally, my SNAIL adhesive! Found construction paper for their backgrounds, they generally did well - we all liked it and we all were involved with different things at school, so why on earth would we cheat, right?

Quote:

Exactly.

Karen it's sad when they are willing to admit it, like they think everyone should do it.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks