Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree553Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2013, 01:05 PM   #2321
Stazon Splitcoast

It's LHR technologies and they are in Pasadena, TX
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-13-2013, 01:17 PM   #2322
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose View Post
Marge, does your leader at least get control back? Our leader is pretty good at not letting someone take over the meeting.
This morning's exchange was before the meeting started - they were still weighing people in.

During meetings, the leader summarizes by making a point that supports the program goals, and then moves on to the next person.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:21 PM   #2323
Stazon Splitcoast

Going to Downton Abbey viewing tonight - will be a "regular event" at Toni's for the 7 episodes. Last week there were 6 of us and Toni's big screen HD TV.

This is Dog Park Toni. And by sheer coincidence, she used to work with my old Elmhurst neighbor Sue.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:21 PM   #2324
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Oh good. I had one really bad leader in FL about 25 years ago. It was a guy and he was simply unable to control a group of old ladies who wanted to ask stupid questions that could be answered by reading their info. He couldn't seem to get back to topic and tell them to stay after to ask questions like that. I didn't go for long that time.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
Old 01-13-2013, 01:22 PM   #2325

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinois Marge View Post
Going to Downton Abbey viewing tonight - will be a "regular event" at Toni's for the 7 episodes. Last week there were 6 of us and Toni's big screen HD TV.

This is Dog Park Toni. And by sheer coincidence, she used to work with my old Elmhurst neighbor Sue.
Oh fun!!!

I've never seen it, but know it's popular!

Old 01-13-2013, 01:24 PM   #2326
Directionally Challenged Parrothead

Quote:
Lost 2 lbs at WW this morning! Back to my pre-Christmas weight.
WHOOOHOO!!!

GO Marge!

I'm up 5 from my post-Thanksgiving weight. I'm thinking about doing online WW. I'm at less than half of my weekly 10 mile goal and have been for a couple of months. I think I'm just in this very rationalizing place with food and exercise: I put so much effort into holding things together for such a long time. I was doing well with exercise and eating until Mom fell and I think after that I just kind of went to this wanting to curl up in a ball on the sofa with fuzzy pals and eat comfort food and read books place. I made it through Thanksgiving with will power pretty much intact and then just kind of went ppphhhtttht.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:27 PM   #2327

Quote:
V, that is very good news about DH's weight loss. For me, anyway, although I never got type 2 diabetes (and with my weight I probably should have....) the hard part is not treating the 'eating right' as a diet, but as a lifestyle change. In other words, it doesn't ever end -- he will need to do that the rest of his life.

For me, I failed at that last part, which is why I have to lose a good portion of it all over again.
That really is the hard part.

Plus food is such a huge comfort when you go through lots of changes, it's fun with friends, it's celebration in our culture. It has all these associations of reminiscence--Proust didn't exactly write about fat-free frozen yogurt. And it's not like you can just stop eating the way you can, say, quit smoking or drinking, neither of which is exactly a walk in the park either. Living in a suburban setting where you don't have to walk doesn't help either.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:35 PM   #2328

Quote:
Oh that's awesome! I plan to get it too. So I can, you know, make weird b'day cards for friends....
WROSE!!!! I got the pinwheel sizzlit!!! Last month Debbie asked if there was anything from the new catalog she hadn't ordered that I'd want to get since she orders me a few things here and there in return for cutting papers for her senior center classes (32 cards x 4/class). I told her I wanted to try the pinwheel and she said sure, she wouldn't be getting that one.

Well, it came and we played with it yesterday and now she's hooked! We both agreed it's too fussy for her senior ladies to put together but she's going to get one for her regular classes. That was fun--I'm always telling her about all of you and all of you about her and her husband so I love that now we've got stamping stuff thrown in the mix too!

ERK, after you got me started on cutting things out and popping them up with dimensionals, I made a mini-album of Sonny for Debbie and her husband, and she keeps it on an easel in her craft room. And the mini-albums I made are from one of Debbie's retreat classes. Cross pollination FTW!
Old 01-13-2013, 01:36 PM   #2329

Quote:
Originally Posted by Englishrose View Post
I'm really getting out of the stamps but as the silhouette is coming on the trip with us I can work on cut cards. They're fun.
Will you hug the Silhouette for me?

(DH and the DSs too, of course!)
Old 01-13-2013, 01:39 PM   #2330

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmscoping View Post
I'm here. And it was a wet cold too!!! Brrrrr

The Houston marathon was today and I was supposed to go downtown and cheer on my friends running in it...

With the rain and cold, I tracked them on my phone. Lol. I'm a fair weathered running friend!!!
That's awesome that you have friends running in the Marathon!

E, knowing you I don't think I'd be offended if I were getting inaugurated as President and you decided it was too cold to come out and cheer me on.

On the bright side, there's exactly zero danger that either of us will ever need to put that to the test, LOL. Although maybe I should see if I could start a Caffeinated Otter party...
Old 01-13-2013, 01:43 PM   #2331

Quote:
LOL...so at my meeting is this quite large lady -- maybe around 38-40 years old with probably 175 lbs to lose. Lives with her mother. She said she was teased so mercilessly in HS that she almost committed suicide. She is seeing a psychiatrist - she shares too much publically - everything (I mean everything) out of her mouth in meetings is negative.

I always try to sit way on the other side of the room. Today she was deriding all the New Year's resolution people who just signed up. She changed her seat to come sit next to me and another lady -- said "us regulars" need to stick together. How stupid, you should encourage the newbies, don't put them down...

So then she started yakking about this scene she had at her bank where somebody cut her off at the drive-up window and she started calling her the b word and wanted the bank to give her the other lady's name so she could file a police report...the bank said no, customer privacy, but if the police contacted them they would talk to the police directly but they wouldn't give WW attendee the person's name. Good for the bank.

Anyway I do not need her strident negativity at 8am in the morning. So I started stitching on my Xmas tags (I carry around a baggie of cut ones to do the blanket stitching on) and kept my eyes down so she couldn't engage me in her poison.
Yikes Marge. That's one scary boatload of really bitter anger. And I'm 100% with you--anyone who takes on that challenge was a newbie once, including her.

That's so tough because there's that sense of decency and compassion that calls us to encourage and support people but some people just radiate so much toxic misery that it's a tough balance between wanting to do what's compassionate and that horrible sense that if you agree in the least with them they'll glom onto you as a co-conspirator in seeing the world from that utterly fury-and-bitterness-poisoned perspective.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:43 PM   #2332

Quote:
Ick marge... I'd almost have to say something to her... Along the lines of shut the f up! Lol
I <3 you E.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:46 PM   #2333

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy otter View Post
WHOOOHOO!!!

GO Marge!

I'm up 5 from my post-Thanksgiving weight. I'm thinking about doing online WW. I'm at less than half of my weekly 10 mile goal and have been for a couple of months. I think I'm just in this very rationalizing place with food and exercise: I put so much effort into holding things together for such a long time. I was doing well with exercise and eating until Mom fell and I think after that I just kind of went to this wanting to curl up in a ball on the sofa with fuzzy pals and eat comfort food and read books place. I made it through Thanksgiving with will power pretty much intact and then just kind of went ppphhhtttht.
That's not a bad idea; you have support here and on the website there's a community too, if you need it. Also recipes and whatever else you want.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:47 PM   #2334

Quote:
That really is the hard part.

Plus food is such a huge comfort when you go through lots of changes, it's fun with friends, it's celebration in our culture. It has all these associations of reminiscence--Proust didn't exactly write about fat-free frozen yogurt. And it's not like you can just stop eating the way you can, say, quit smoking or drinking, neither of which is exactly a walk in the park either. Living in a suburban setting where you don't have to walk doesn't help either.
Boy you got that right. I just couldn't even consider it for a little bit there. The past few days have been tough but I'm hanging in there.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:49 PM   #2335

Yay for the pinwheel die! It's so cute and so cheap! I agree it might be tough for the older ladies. I was worried but managed it.

I found a trick that worked for me. I'd sort of gentle fold each "wing" toward the center, then after all four were heading that way but not creased, I'd put my piercing tool up through the center circle so it was poking through a little bit, then I'd pull all the other holes over it. Then I could grab it with my thumb and hold it while I attached a brad.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:50 PM   #2336
Her Royal Awesomeness of Shiner Bock PTA Pirate Land

Quote:
It's LHR technologies and they are in Pasadena, TX
pasadena is the town that borders mine on the north east side...

we are a PERFECT visiting spot for y'all if you want to do that.

i just looked - it's right down the road from dd2s violin shop... not far at all from us.

2013 Scrapping Goal 48 pages
To date 20 completed!

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Old 01-13-2013, 01:54 PM   #2337

Quote:
That's awesome that you have friends running in the Marathon!

E, knowing you I don't think I'd be offended if I were getting inaugurated as President and you decided it was too cold to come out and cheer me on.

On the bright side, there's exactly zero danger that either of us will ever need to put that to the test, LOL. Although maybe I should see if I could start a Caffeinated Otter party...
lol!
you would definitely win president of that party!!!

To date 20 completed!

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Old 01-13-2013, 01:54 PM   #2338
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
pasadena is the town that borders mine on the north east side...

we are a PERFECT visiting spot for y'all if you want to do that.

i just looked - it's right down the road from dd2s violin shop... not far at all from us.
Great. We'll look for an RV camp in the area - you can tell us if they're decent areas to stay or not!
Old 01-13-2013, 01:59 PM   #2339

i'll ask my buddies who have rvs where the best ones in this area are and give you a choice.

that particular location is on the border of very unsafe gang activity so you don't want to stay up there...

To date 20 completed!

Old 01-13-2013, 02:11 PM   #2340

Quote:
junction, tx

and then we go to chalk bluff park in uvalde which is just south of there off 90.
Continental Tire folks have a big testing facility in Uvalde. Ex once seriously considered applying for a job as a test driver there. The country around Uvalde looks beautiful--semi-arid, gorgeous hilly landscape from the pictures. There were some really pretty homes for sale in the area with really beautiful views.

Although I imagine it's a tad warm there in the summer...
Old 01-13-2013, 02:13 PM   #2341

Quote:
Marge, does your leader at least get control back? Our leader is pretty good at not letting someone take over the meeting.
Oooo good point Kathy.

That's definitely someone who doesn't need to be roaming at will. Someone needs to go find the short leash...

Last edited by muddy otter; 01-13-2013 at 02:24 PM..
Old 01-13-2013, 02:17 PM   #2342

Quote:
This morning's exchange was before the meeting started - they were still weighing people in.

During meetings, the leader summarizes by making a point that supports the program goals, and then moves on to the next person.
GOOD leader.

Woof.

Seriously people like that made me wish remote controls didn't just work on electronic stuff. I'd love to be able to point one at someone like that, click and ZAP... muted.

One that you could use to turn of the phones of flaming arse hats who text during movies would be good too. Click, ZAP. You're done now.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:18 PM   #2343

Quote:
Continental Tire folks have a big testing facility in Uvalde. Ex once seriously considered applying for a job as a test driver there. The country around Uvalde looks beautiful--semi-arid, gorgeous hilly landscape from the pictures. There were some really pretty homes for sale in the area with really beautiful views.

Although I imagine it's a tad warm there in the summer...
it's gorgeous and it's really not that bad - it's so dry that there's no humidity - and it doesn't get as hot as phoenix.

one of my best frends has a park there that we go to all the time and we love it.

however, i'd never ever ever ever move there with school aged kiddos...

retirement - possibly. it's soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo peaceful. especially on the water.

To date 20 completed!

Old 01-13-2013, 02:18 PM   #2344

Quote:
Yay for the pinwheel die! It's so cute and so cheap! I agree it might be tough for the older ladies. I was worried but managed it.

I found a trick that worked for me. I'd sort of gentle fold each "wing" toward the center, then after all four were heading that way but not creased, I'd put my piercing tool up through the center circle so it was poking through a little bit, then I'd pull all the other holes over it. Then I could grab it with my thumb and hold it while I attached a brad.
Copying, pasting and sending to Debbie FTW.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:22 PM   #2345

Quote:
it's gorgeous and it's really not that bad - it's so dry that there's no humidity - and it doesn't get as hot as phoenix.

one of my best frends has a park there that we go to all the time and we love it.

however, i'd never ever ever ever move there with school aged kiddos...

retirement - possibly. it's soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo peaceful. especially on the water.
Well, in retrospect it's probably just as well that if he was going to change his mind about wanting to be married vs chasing waitresses, I'm still in a place with close friends and lots of employment opportunity. But I have to admit looking at the pictures a big part of me fell in love with what I could see of the country there.

I'd still love to see it one day.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:23 PM   #2346

come visit me and we'll go out there.

To date 20 completed!

Old 01-13-2013, 02:23 PM   #2347
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
i'll ask my buddies who have rvs where the best ones in this area are and give you a choice.

that particular location is on the border of very unsafe gang activity so you don't want to stay up there...
Thank you so much. It can be a bit further out as we'll be towing the car, too. There are a couple at Kemah?
Old 01-13-2013, 02:26 PM   #2348

Quote:
come visit me and we'll go out there.
OMIGOAT OMIGOAT REALLY???!!?

I can't think of ANYONE I'd rather meet Uvalde with!!!
Old 01-13-2013, 02:28 PM   #2349

Short break to fold laundry, put sheets on bed, see how New England's doing, and feed pups...
Old 01-13-2013, 02:31 PM   #2350
Stazon Splitcoast

I just did a couple of small loads today. Made sure the boys had long sleeved tops to wear for the first couple of days of the week! This cold snap is forecast to last until Thursday. Unheard of!
Old 01-13-2013, 02:33 PM   #2351

Quote:
Short break to fold laundry, put sheets on bed, see how New England's doing, and feed pups...
Patriots are looking good.

Except for that ankle injury they just showed; made DH groan in pain. Actually I forget which team that player was on.

I haven't been paying that close attention.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:35 PM   #2352

Quote:
I just did a couple of small loads today. Made sure the boys had long sleeved tops to wear for the first couple of days of the week! This cold snap is forecast to last until Thursday. Unheard of!
Yeah I don't recall hearing that last night would be our coldest night so far. Either I missed it or it surprised them!

Thursday night was very very cold and it's only gotten colder. But, I think it's supposed to be warming up in a day or so. In the sixties by Wed. would be nice!

Old 01-13-2013, 02:36 PM   #2353
Stazon Splitcoast

Your warmth will take a couple of days to get to us.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:45 PM   #2354

Quote:
Thank you so much. It can be a bit further out as we'll be towing the car, too. There are a couple at Kemah?
that's where i was thinking of putting you - but i was kinda feeling selfish (that's where dd goes to school) since it was SOOOO close to me - but since you suggested it - then yes, we will put you in kemah!

either one of those would be fine and the boys would LOVE the boardwalk there. it's fun - rollercoaster and rides and such and yummy yummy food...

i think that would be the funnest place for y'all.

To date 20 completed!

Old 01-13-2013, 02:48 PM   #2355
Stazon Splitcoast

WROSE!!!! Look what I just spotted.

Last edited by Englishrose; 04-12-2013 at 11:31 AM..
Old 01-13-2013, 02:49 PM   #2356
Stazon Splitcoast

i hope that means no exploding puppy!
Old 01-13-2013, 02:50 PM   #2357
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
that's where i was thinking of putting you - but i was kinda feeling selfish (that's where dd goes to school) since it was SOOOO close to me - but since you suggested it - then yes, we will put you in kemah!

either one of those would be fine and the boys would LOVE the boardwalk there. it's fun - rollercoaster and rides and such and yummy yummy food...

i think that would be the funnest place for y'all.
It didn't look too far from either place and both got great ratings so I hoped the area was OK.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:53 PM   #2358
Stazon Splitcoast

I can't believe I took a picture and posted it!
Old 01-13-2013, 02:53 PM   #2359

Quote:
this just tickled the poop out of me! bwahahahahaha!

only in the pond woudl we post pictures of poop!

To date 20 completed!

Old 01-13-2013, 02:54 PM   #2360

Quote:
Oh I hope that's Pippin's Poop!

How alliterative!