Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree553Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 10:13 AM   #1961
blaBBermouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewsplendidstamper View Post
OK can I say hearing all of this makes me happy. I know I know...but hear me out.
I am so hairy I think I'd need a loan to get anything waxed. I like my eyebrows and lips. I could tweeze my eyebrows and chin every day. And my neck. And the stragglers in between my boobs. Seriously I'm part yeti.
You look adorable in your pics and it looks like you just toss on some blush abd brush your hair and your a doll. That picture I texted you was size 14 jeans and an hours worth of plucking and makeup and blending. And I'm getting grays.
Sometimes I think about getting a Brazilian but I fear they'd run out of wax! And it would start growing in in like a day!
say what! You're cracking me up here.

I got a Brazilian a couple weeks ago. I freaking love it.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:23 PM   #1962
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Good afternoon! Quiet here.

Hockey is back.

Who cares.

Money. Play-offs. TV money. That's why they're going to cram in a short season.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-07-2013, 04:02 PM   #1963

Ha ha ha, I love regional words. One I grew up with (but have mostly forgotten) is pank.

My sister just used it in an email (she got a new septic tank):

"The new tank is in, and they're almost done for the day. I will have use of water now, they're making sure they pank the dirt down so the tank doesn't shift, and they'll finish tomorrow. All is hooked up again."

As you can see, it's a word that means, pretty much, pat, or tamp down. I looked on Google and it's definitely a regionalism.

There's also a PANK magazine, something literary, and can mean Professional Aunt No Kids (which my sister is!!!).

Old 01-07-2013, 04:04 PM   #1964
Directionally Challenged Parrothead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose View Post
I remember my sister having a date with a guy who was drop dead gorgeous. When she got home, she said it was the Most.Boring.Date.Ever.

Never forgot that.
One of the gorgeous guys was even more insecure than I was in my 20s, which took some doing. Very sweet man I liked a lot but he was getting ready to move out of state when we started dating and I think we both knew it wasn't anywhere near serious enough for him to ask me to go with him or me to think about leaving VA.

The other guy was actually one of the most interesting, thoughtful and intelligent people I've met, but whenever we went to a party, very beautiful women with stunning figures would throw themselves at him. I would just kind of disappear when that happened since he didn't exactly discourage them. I'm pretty sure that did not exactly communicate my interest, LOL... plus let's just say that I had no experience with men at the time (as in NONE) and was terrified that if he knew that, he'd run screaming into the bushes. It's kind of sad because I adored him as a friend and a person, and just treated him like a pal for ages because I totally knew he was out of my league. I think in retrospect that getting treated like just another person and not some kind of trophy was what he liked about me.

Although honestly even if it had worked out, I think it probably takes a pretty strong person to deal with all the snotty sidelong 'what is someone who looks like YOU doing with someone who looks like HIM?' eyerolls from the really stunning girls throwing themselves at him. I was nowhere near a point in my life where I could toss them back a 'wouldn't YOU like to know?' smile in return and just get on with my life.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:06 PM   #1965

Quote:
I'm not sure they know what Dim Sum is in North Dakota! ha ha ha
You may have a point that Sum folks there might be a bit Dim about that...
Old 01-07-2013, 04:09 PM   #1966
neglecting the kids and housework

I love all this talk about gorgeous men! The guy I "dated" in college was totally and utterly sexy to me. I couldn't keep my hands off him. I'm surprised we didn't get kicked out of classes. But I never wanted to be his gf or have a serious life with him. He just wasn't that fit for that spot KWIM?

I saw a GORGEOUS guy at work the other day. I was walking up to the front to help someone with product and he was walking towards me. Made eye contact he smiled I smiled and WOW his face just beamed. He was stunning.

Now there was one guy that I hooked up with in college after meeting him at a bar. TOTALLY and utterly 1000% out of my league. And he ws physically into me. I was FLOORED! He was so flippin hot. What made it even hotter was he was enough into me to drive two hours to come see me in SC! Ahhh to be young and under the influence of alcohol and the beach!
Old 01-07-2013, 04:14 PM   #1967

Jane, did you ever read the novel, Tim, by Colleen McCullough? It was her first novel, three years before The Thorn Birds.

I can't find a description of the book online, but it was made into a movie in 1979.

I loved the book.

Anyway here's the basic story.

It is the story of the developing relationship between an older, middle-class American woman, Mary Horton (played by Piper Laurie) who lives on her own and a handsome, developmentally impaired 24 year old gardener, Tim Melville (played by Mel Gibson), whom she hires.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:18 PM   #1968

Quote:
I love all this talk about gorgeous men! The guy I "dated" in college was totally and utterly sexy to me. I couldn't keep my hands off him. I'm surprised we didn't get kicked out of classes. But I never wanted to be his gf or have a serious life with him. He just wasn't that fit for that spot KWIM?

I saw a GORGEOUS guy at work the other day. I was walking up to the front to help someone with product and he was walking towards me. Made eye contact he smiled I smiled and WOW his face just beamed. He was stunning.

Now there was one guy that I hooked up with in college after meeting him at a bar. TOTALLY and utterly 1000% out of my league. And he ws physically into me. I was FLOORED! He was so flippin hot. What made it even hotter was he was enough into me to drive two hours to come see me in SC! Ahhh to be young and under the influence of alcohol and the beach!
Ha ha ha!!! There was someone like that in Atlanta, um, I actually let the lasagna burn one time. Purely physical. Funny though, I thought of him a year or so ago and looked on FB and he apparently resides near SF now. He was very much into outdoor stuff, kayaking, etc. Great bod.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:31 PM   #1969

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampinbb View Post
SO...why has no one told me that "because" was spelled incorrectly in my signature??? For reals, folks. I've had that signature forever!
I plead too busy reading what you wrote to scrutinize your signature for errors. LET ME BE GUILTY!!!!
Old 01-07-2013, 04:39 PM   #1970

Quote:
I think having a compatible personality is the number one requirement, but I could not be in a relationship with someone I didn't find physically attractive. The first time I went out on a date with DH, I just could not be attracted to him. He wasn't my type, despite the fact that we had been best friends for well over a year and I adored his personality. Physically there was nothing. That changed some time down the road. Likewise, I've been in some relationships were there was no personality compatibility, but the physical attraction was undeniable.

As far as Marilyn Monroe wearing a 14, that's really kind of a myth. She wore what was a size 14 in that time. Designers have since changed sizes making smaller sizes fit bigger people in an attempt to sell more merchandise bc everyone likes to fit into a smaller size. She probably wore like a 6-8 in today's terms. Read that all in an article somewhere.
I think the physical part has to be there, but I agree with you that it can grow over time.

I'd read that about size 14 in the 50s. I think it still goes up and down--going through my closet I've found some mediums from the 90s that still fit (though not as baggy as they were back then) and some XLs from 10 years later that don't any more. I guess the point for me was that back then, a more rounded, feminine figure was still considered very attractive. If you look at Bbond girls from the 1960s they have a much more normal woman's figure than most female movie stars today, who seem to get called out in magazines for being heifers the minute they exceed size 2.

Anatomically, most women who have moderate sized or larger breasts don't wind up with board-flat stomachs, and most women who do have flat stomachs have very small breasts. But we've started idealizing a figure (perfectly flat stomach with C or D cups) that isn't even achievable for more than I'd guess one in a thousand women without plastic surgery. That's the part I find discouraging. At least back in the 60s, prior to Twiggy, most women had a shot at being considered pretty attractive without deciding to take up an eating disorder as a hobby or getting implants.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:39 PM   #1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy otter View Post
You may have a point that Sum folks there might be a bit Dim about that...
Bwa ha ha ha ha

Old 01-07-2013, 04:40 PM   #1972

If you go to google maps and pull up Fargo, ND, and zoom in on downtown, then click "search nearby" and type in "restaurants," there is a Chinese place. lol

Old 01-07-2013, 04:43 PM   #1973

Quote:
I know that I have grown increasingly unhappy with my appearance lately. I feel like I'm falling apart. I think I used to be a decently pretty girl when I was younger. These days, I'm just a hot mess of stretch marks, pale skin and gray hair. My stomach is too thick, my hair has too much gray, my skin still pimples, I have terrible nails, I'm so short it should be illegal...yeah, just not happy with my physical appearance.

I got a new pair of jeans today. They're a 10Short and are still too long to wear with regular flat shoes. Seriously!!! That's ridiculous. In order to not drag the floor, I have to wear heels.
See, having met you, this makes me want to punch out the entire editorial staff of Vogue, or at least take away their Evian and lettuce leaves and cancel their next dental whitening appointment, which would probably be worse. I think you're just gorgeous. And it amazes me that you have a body that works and made small humans. Given a choice between a perfect body and a small human, I would have taken the small human or humans, hands down.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:56 PM   #1974

Quote:
OK can I say hearing all of this makes me happy. I know I know...but hear me out.
I am so hairy I think I'd need a loan to get anything waxed. I like my eyebrows and lips. I could tweeze my eyebrows and chin every day. And my neck. And the stragglers in between my boobs. Seriously I'm part yeti.
You look adorable in your pics and it looks like you just toss on some blush abd brush your hair and your a doll. That picture I texted you was size 14 jeans and an hours worth of plucking and makeup and blending. And I'm getting grays.
Sometimes I think about getting a Brazilian but I fear they'd run out of wax! And it would start growing in in like a day!
DON'T GET A BRAZILIAN. Please, please trust me on this...

That's what I miss about hippies. We could all just be human and it was groovy.

Seriously sometimes I feel very grateful for having grown up with WWII era grandparents and my folks' kind of intellectual, hippie friends. I guess with my grandparents (God save the Queen and God bless the BBC) experience of living through the war and that whole 'being human is cool' mentality, I was lucky enough to grow up around enough people and read enough Walt Whitman to feel as though just being a healthy human being is a gift to cherish. I don't know, maybe part of what made questioning all those ideals easier for me, too, was growing up with a Mom and Stepdad in the fashion industry who got so punchy and tense about all that glamour stuff that the people who questioned it made even more sense to me.

I've learned a lot about relaxing and having fun with myself--especially from all of you. And I can live with getting the old upper lip zipped and a couple of other landscaping chores, but I guess I'd like to find that happy ground between feeling healthy, having some fun with myself, but still not beating myself up for not looking like twig and for having fuzzy hair. Of course I say that but I'd still love to have my chin sucked out before it starts sitting in my lap.

I guess I just feel that we get so many relentless messages that we need to be this perfect, smooth, tiny, giving, sexy, impossible person, and that if we aren't we're dumpy. I know we don't see that in each other, but we keep doing it to ourselves.

I want more Dove ads where women can just put themselves out there and know they're pretty--maybe not head-turning, traffic-stopping, drop-dead stunning, but definitely pretty and absolutely radiant, just the way they are.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:59 PM   #1975

Quote:
I got a Brazilian a couple weeks ago. I freaking love it.
GAAAA reading that made me cross my legs and back away from the laptop!!!!
Old 01-07-2013, 05:00 PM   #1976

Quote:
Ha ha ha, I love regional words. One I grew up with (but have mostly forgotten) is pank.

My sister just used it in an email (she got a new septic tank):

"The new tank is in, and they're almost done for the day. I will have use of water now, they're making sure they pank the dirt down so the tank doesn't shift, and they'll finish tomorrow. All is hooked up again."

As you can see, it's a word that means, pretty much, pat, or tamp down. I looked on Google and it's definitely a regionalism.

There's also a PANK magazine, something literary, and can mean Professional Aunt No Kids (which my sister is!!!).
Ack I'm a PANK!
Old 01-07-2013, 05:02 PM   #1977

Quote:
Jane, did you ever read the novel, Tim, by Colleen McCullough? It was her first novel, three years before The Thorn Birds.

I can't find a description of the book online, but it was made into a movie in 1979.

I loved the book.

Anyway here's the basic story.

It is the story of the developing relationship between an older, middle-class American woman, Mary Horton (played by Piper Laurie) who lives on her own and a handsome, developmentally impaired 24 year old gardener, Tim Melville (played by Mel Gibson), whom she hires.
I haven't read it. I should find a copy when I finish Coming into the Country.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:07 PM   #1978

Quote:

I had that first relationship with a guy I dated when I was 29. Holy cow. It was like being one of those little toy magnets that keeps trying attach itself to the other one in all sorts of positions. Or being brainwashed. Or having the flu or being on drugs all the time. Or all of the above...
Old 01-07-2013, 06:12 PM   #1979
Glitter Guru

Quote:
If you go to google maps and pull up Fargo, ND, and zoom in on downtown, then click "search nearby" and type in "restaurants," there is a Chinese place. lol
If Fargo is anything like Bozeman was (before Bozeman got hip and had celebrities buy up ranches in the area ), that Chinese restaurant probably sells good old American restaurant chop suey (you know, the stuff in the can?) with fried noodles (you know, the stuff in the can?)!

After living in Seattle for a couple years, with all the wonderful restaurants, Bozeman was quite the eye-opener in American cuisine.

By the time we left, though, there were quite a few nice restaurants that didn't necessarily specialize in hunks of cow, including a fantastic Mexican restaurant opened by Mexican immigrant brother and sister. And when we went back through with the kids we found sushi (! and not bad at that) and the little organic co-op where we bought groceries had become the largest grocery store in town.

So maybe Fargo has progressed to dim sum at their Chinese restaurant. But my bet would be chop suey from a can
Old 01-07-2013, 06:16 PM   #1980
Glitter Guru

Quote:
I have never heard the word "pank" - how interesting!
Old 01-07-2013, 08:08 PM   #1981

Um, wow. E. You watching this? Holy cow.

Notre Dame is getting killed.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:15 AM   #1982
blaBBermouth

Quote:
See, having met you, this makes me want to punch out the entire editorial staff of Vogue, or at least take away their Evian and lettuce leaves and cancel their next dental whitening appointment, which would probably be worse. I think you're just gorgeous. And it amazes me that you have a body that works and made small humans. Given a choice between a perfect body and a small human, I would have taken the small human or humans, hands down.
Aw, Jane. You're too sweet.

I agree with your previous post about bodies as well. To be honest, I've yet to find a man that finds a woman with no curves and all skin w bones to be attractive. I've read countless things that say men are attracted to women with curves, breasts, hips etc.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:17 AM   #1983
blaBBermouth

Quote:
GAAAA reading that made me cross my legs and back away from the laptop!!!!
Its just like waxing anything else....the pain is much worse the first time. I always kept things very trim and tidy, but this seemed like a time saving measure.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:19 AM   #1984
blaBBermouth

Happy Tuesday! Seriously need more hours in any given day.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:19 AM   #1985
blaBBermouth

My days have been starting around 330am and ending around 11pm or 12am. Ugh.

Last edited by stampinbb; 01-08-2013 at 10:23 AM..
Old 01-08-2013, 10:27 AM   #1986
blaBBermouth

Amber Update....

DD's squad won first place in their competition on Saturday. Yay!

I have been a little under the weather, swollen spleen. A good bit of pain, but doing better now. My bloodwork came back clean this morning. Yay!

Dad is wearing a heart monitor because his hospitalization did not fix his a-fib. I'm hoping he gets some answers tomorrow and we can come up with some kind of plan to stabilize his heart.

Um...let's see...nothing else really monumental to report. Little boring stuffs here and there!
Old 01-08-2013, 10:32 AM   #1987

Good morning. DD and I are going to run off and do errands. Fun.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:52 PM   #1988
Stazon Splitcoast

I have a very tired cranky 3rd grader here. It's all too much for him!
Old 01-08-2013, 07:19 PM   #1989

Back to school, ERK? Tough for them?

Old 01-08-2013, 07:21 PM   #1990

DH and I went for Thai tonight. Of course I ordered Thai Spicy. They did pretty good! Ten tissues! My eyes weren't so watery that I couldn't see, but they were a little bit watery!

It always amazes me how it's cumulative throughout the meal.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:22 PM   #1991

PH must be busy with back to school, too.

And E's getting the house ready for my DD. HAHAHAHAHA

Old 01-08-2013, 07:22 PM   #1992

E, be sure to scatter clutter all over every flat surface, it'll make her feel right at home!

Old 01-08-2013, 07:39 PM   #1993
Stazon Splitcoast

How long until the long drive for DD? Yes, back to school! He's asleep already.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:45 PM   #1994
Stazon Splitcoast

DH is laughing at me. It has been so dry recently - yes, even more than normal! - that my heels are cracked and split. Nasty. Anyway I put some really heavy duty Neutrogena cream on them and am now sitting with grocery bags on my feet then my socks over the top. Figured the moisture could only go one way - into my feet! If it works, I'm going to patent it!
Old 01-08-2013, 11:12 PM   #1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by Englishrose View Post
How long until the long drive for DD? Yes, back to school! He's asleep already.
She leaves Friday morning.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:13 PM   #1996

Quote:
Originally Posted by Englishrose View Post
DH is laughing at me. It has been so dry recently - yes, even more than normal! - that my heels are cracked and split. Nasty. Anyway I put some really heavy duty Neutrogena cream on them and am now sitting with grocery bags on my feet then my socks over the top. Figured the moisture could only go one way - into my feet! If it works, I'm going to patent it!
Hey whatever works!!!

Old 01-08-2013, 11:14 PM   #1997

Did you all know postal rates are going up January 27th?

One cent more on cards. I should have gotten more one cent stamps. lol Not for my forever stamps but older ones that I keep adding postage to.

Highlights of the new single-piece First-Class Mail pricing, effective Jan. 27, 2013 include:
Letters (1oz.) — 1-cent increase to 46 cents
Letters additional ounces — unchanged at 20 cents
Letters to all international destinations (1oz.) — $1.10
Postcards — 1-cent increase to 33 cents

Old 01-08-2013, 11:15 PM   #1998

Flat rate going up too:

New domestic retail pricing for Priority Mail Flat Rate products include:
Small box — $5.80
Medium box — $12.35
Large box — $16.85
Large APO/FPO box — $14.85
Regular envelope — $5.60
Legal envelope — $5.75
Padded envelope — $5.95

Old 01-08-2013, 11:47 PM   #1999

There's going to be a Forever international stamp too!

Old 01-09-2013, 04:41 AM   #2000

Quote:
Its just like waxing anything else....the pain is much worse the first time. I always kept things very trim and tidy, but this seemed like a time saving measure.
Oh--totally understood. Plus never having had to do anything analogous to pushing a grapefruit out through one of my nostrils, I imagine my pain threshold regarding certain body parts may be somewhat devoid of any comparison that would have made the experience bearable.