Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree553Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 09:39 AM   #161
Directionally Challenged Parrothead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinois Marge View Post
Up at the crack of dawn for WW. Wish me luck, it is my second week back after a long hiatus and gaining weight back. Per my scale, I'm down at least a pound.

Then later this morning to Odeum in Villa Park for giant craft fair. With new neighbor and a couple walking group ladies.
Good luck Marge! Are you happy to be back?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 11-18-2012, 09:39 AM   #162
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose View Post
I always liked the southeast, the sports there. ACC sports and the Braves. That's home to me. I like the Bay Area though. It's really easy to live here.

But I like the lack of humidity here. So you see, Washington isn't really on my list. Washington is not a state for people who wear glasses and already have trouble seeing and are aging.....
I like my humidity in the winter, not the summer Yes, it rains Nov-Apr, but May-Oct are lovely!

Have you tried this site? Find Your Spot | Find Your Spot I played around with it a lot when we were looking for jobs about 10 years ago. They have detailed write-ups of many towns and cities - quite interesting. You have to do the quiz and register to get your matches, but then you can look at all the profiled communities. Fourteen of my twenty-four matches, including the top 12, are in Oregon so I'm settled in a fairly comparable and compatible area according to the results. I think I didn't get WA because the cost of living is higher here and there are fewer centers of cultural activity compared to OR.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:42 AM   #163
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Shadow got bath & gromming yesterday. He looks so handsome.
Cookie was at the groomers yesterday, too. We're still trying to explain how we want him sheared - they keep shaving the bridge of his nose and leaving the top of his head too fluffy, which makes him look more like a tall Bichon Frise than a Bedlington... It was only his second time, though, so I'm sure we'll get it sorted out at some point.

His fur dreadlocks naturally so it's funny to see him after the groomer, all puffy and brushed out!

Congrats on the weight loss!
Old 11-18-2012, 10:08 AM   #164

Quote:
Shadow got bath & gromming yesterday. He looks so handsome.
Hello handsome puppy!

And Marge!!! Congratulations on the 3.2!!!
Old 11-18-2012, 10:19 AM   #165

Quote:
But I got my next 2 weeks DT cards done so I'm actually early!! Still have to blog them but at least they are made.
Whoohoo!
Old 11-18-2012, 10:19 AM   #166

I've been asleep most of the morning. Need to wake up and start catching up on work but I seem to have once again made friends with a souvenir cold on the plane trip home.

Spoke to Mom, they took the plane block out and she's still doing well. In a fair amount of pain pretty constantly but evidently doing well in physical therapy. That's the best of news!
Old 11-18-2012, 10:21 AM   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlysonRR View Post
Cookie was at the groomers yesterday, too. We're still trying to explain how we want him sheared - they keep shaving the bridge of his nose and leaving the top of his head too fluffy, which makes him look more like a tall Bichon Frise than a Bedlington... It was only his second time, though, so I'm sure we'll get it sorted out at some point.

His fur dreadlocks naturally so it's funny to see him after the groomer, all puffy and brushed out!

Congrats on the weight loss!
We need pictures of Cookie!
Old 11-18-2012, 10:53 AM   #168
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Quote:
Lost 3.2! I'm actually shocked.
Wow that's fantastic! So you know what to do on Thanksgiving. lol

I really need some kind of nudging support to not eat mindlessly late at night.

I do fine during the day, I can order well when we go out. Sigh.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
Old 11-18-2012, 10:53 AM   #169

Quote:
But I got my next 2 weeks DT cards done so I'm actually early!! Still have to blog them but at least they are made.
Yay! Feels good, doesn't it?

Old 11-18-2012, 10:56 AM   #170

Marge, thanks for mentioning it as I hadn't been to your blog in a week or two. Gorgeous stuff.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:01 AM   #171

Quote:
I like my humidity in the winter, not the summer Yes, it rains Nov-Apr, but May-Oct are lovely!

Have you tried this site? Find Your Spot | Find Your Spot I played around with it a lot when we were looking for jobs about 10 years ago. They have detailed write-ups of many towns and cities - quite interesting. You have to do the quiz and register to get your matches, but then you can look at all the profiled communities. Fourteen of my twenty-four matches, including the top 12, are in Oregon so I'm settled in a fairly comparable and compatible area according to the results. I think I didn't get WA because the cost of living is higher here and there are fewer centers of cultural activity compared to OR.
Humidity in winter is fine unless it's really cold. Humidity makes hot feel hotter and apparently cold feel colder. I grew up in a humid area and was shocked when I visited Colorado in my late twenties and it was in the twenties and didn't feel that cold!!! Weird.

I'll look at the site but a big factor it won't consider is "close to family." I don't want to be in my home town or even really near it. But I'd kind of rather be on the same coast. I would rather have not ever moved out here this far away, but I have loved it here. And mom is aged and not like she needs me around with the siblings. But I'd like to be able to visit easier. I still have a ton of friends in the Atlanta area, a few in Florida and of course some back home in PA. As far as "attitudes" - I know if I'm outside the metro city of Atlanta, I won't be in "blue state" territory. lol It won't be like it is out here. But as an older person, that won't be important. Won't have to care what my kids learn in schools, etc. It's funny how you have different considerations at different points. I remember at one point thinking how much I loved Atlanta as a single person, but wasn't sure I would have wanted to deal with some of the public school issues I saw friends dealing with.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:44 AM   #172

Okay it did list Atlanta as one of the places. lol

Old 11-18-2012, 11:45 AM   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy otter View Post
I've been asleep most of the morning. Need to wake up and start catching up on work but I seem to have once again made friends with a souvenir cold on the plane trip home.

Spoke to Mom, they took the plane block out and she's still doing well. In a fair amount of pain pretty constantly but evidently doing well in physical therapy. That's the best of news!
The plane block, eh? That made me giggle. Anyway, glad she's doing okay. I hope they can find a good way to manage the pain til it goes away.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:45 AM   #174

Quote:
Why yes, yes we do!

Old 11-18-2012, 12:09 PM   #175

Quote:
Humidity in winter is fine unless it's really cold. Humidity makes hot feel hotter and apparently cold feel colder. I grew up in a humid area and was shocked when I visited Colorado in my late twenties and it was in the twenties and didn't feel that cold!!! Weird.

I'll look at the site but a big factor it won't consider is "close to family." I don't want to be in my home town or even really near it. But I'd kind of rather be on the same coast. I would rather have not ever moved out here this far away, but I have loved it here. And mom is aged and not like she needs me around with the siblings. But I'd like to be able to visit easier. I still have a ton of friends in the Atlanta area, a few in Florida and of course some back home in PA. As far as "attitudes" - I know if I'm outside the metro city of Atlanta, I won't be in "blue state" territory. lol It won't be like it is out here. But as an older person, that won't be important. Won't have to care what my kids learn in schools, etc. It's funny how you have different considerations at different points. I remember at one point thinking how much I loved Atlanta as a single person, but wasn't sure I would have wanted to deal with some of the public school issues I saw friends dealing with.
That makes sense. I'm not sure I'd want to live up North again but this last week I definitely had the chance to see how much easier it is to be a short plane ride away.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:10 PM   #176

Quote:
The plane block, eh? That made me giggle. Anyway, glad she's doing okay. I hope they can find a good way to manage the pain til it goes away.
Pain block! Ack! I think I'm still tired...
Old 11-18-2012, 01:54 PM   #177
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Good luck Marge! Are you happy to be back?
Well, I wouldn't say "happy", more like resigned that this is going to be a struggle for the rest of my life.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:55 PM   #178
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Marge and Kathy - your menus sound lovely. Marge - we always like a veggie tray for pre-dinner. Or how about "catered by costco" spanokopita? And serve the deviled eggs as appetizers, too. Though I did just hear a chef on the NPR cooking show "the Splendid Table" say you should never serve appetizers before a big meal like Thanksgiving - people should eat what you've labored over, not fill themselves up on nuts and pickles and olives. (My grandmother's holiday table was never complete without a nut bowl and a pickle/olive assortment ).

E - chocolate pecan pie sounds really good. I always have to make plain old pecan (grandma's recipe from the 30s) for DH and DD and plain old pumpkin (mom's recipe from the 60s - probably straight off the Libby's jar, LOL) for DS... It would be nice if they let me mix it up a little sometimes, but I guess I should be flattered they enjoy how I make our traditional family recipes.

We're having organic heritage turkey ($! splurge, but special deal through our produce delivery co-op), onion-mushroom gravy, mashed potatoes, stuffing in the crockpot, curried sweet potatoes, brussels sprouts, cranberry-orange chutney, and the aforementioned pies.

But we're also having a harvest dinner with all the 4H families on Monday. Twelve families, each of whom are bringing two dishes, so we'll all have tons of variety to sample. The kids will be awarded their pins for the previous year, then they're going to entertain us (hopefully!) with skits, hula hooping, poi ball twirling, cheerleading, singing, and three band songs (eight of them, grades 4-8, are in band). Should be fun!
I might just do a veggie tray.

Your Thanksgiving plans sound great.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:58 PM   #179
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Yikes on the cold.

I'm sure it is a struggle at your mom's age.

Did this recent emergency make them reconsider moving closer to any of you guys?
Old 11-18-2012, 01:58 PM   #180
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
That's what I was thinking too, as I have no idea what a Bedlington dog is.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:59 PM   #181
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Wow that's fantastic! So you know what to do on Thanksgiving. lol

I really need some kind of nudging support to not eat mindlessly late at night.

I do fine during the day, I can order well when we go out. Sigh.
My problem exactly. Nighttime snacking. The danger zone between 7pm and 10pm.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:01 PM   #182
Stazon Splitcoast

We had a great time at the craft show.

I bought myself a birthday bracelet.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:02 PM   #183
Stazon Splitcoast

And a neckerchief for Shadow with his name embroidered on it
Old 11-18-2012, 02:22 PM   #184

Quote:
That's what I was thinking too, as I have no idea what a Bedlington dog is.
Whoa, I just googled images. It looks like a topiary!!! ha ha ha ha ha

Old 11-18-2012, 02:23 PM   #185

Quote:
My problem exactly. Nighttime snacking. The danger zone between 7pm and 10pm.
A little later for me but yeah....

Old 11-18-2012, 02:24 PM   #186

Quote:
We had a great time at the craft show.

I bought myself a birthday bracelet.
Oh good! What kind of bracelet??

Old 11-18-2012, 02:24 PM   #187

Quote:
And a neckerchief for Shadow with his name embroidered on it
Awww....

Old 11-18-2012, 03:01 PM   #188
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Oh good! What kind of bracelet??
A stunning cuff bracelet, mixed metals. Well, it is stunning to my personal taste
Attached Thumbnails
cc-pedigree-001.jpg   cc-pedigree-002.jpg  
Old 11-18-2012, 03:03 PM   #189
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Awww....
Here is Shadow's neckerchief. Shhhhh, it is a Christmas present so don't tell him
Attached Thumbnails
cc-pedigree-015.jpg  
Old 11-18-2012, 03:50 PM   #190

Quote:
Yikes on the cold.

I'm sure it is a struggle at your mom's age.

Did this recent emergency make them reconsider moving closer to any of you guys?
Well, after spending most of the day sleeping and taking Advil I do feel much better. I'm still going to bed early tonight, though.

My sister and I talked to parents about whether they'd consider moving closer when we were both up visiting parents last January. We bypassed the health/emergency issues and said, look, you've been telling us for a few years that you're sad we don't visit more, but you live in a place that's hard for us to get to--it takes sister 3.5 hours if her DH rents car and they drive from northernmost stop on commuter rail out of NYC--6 hours for me to fly & rent car. With sister having her daughter and me being only income-earner, it's hard to visit as much as we'd like, would you consider moving closer so we could spend more time together?

Nope. Their house is very special and has his and hers bathrooms. They couldn't possibly live without their very special bathrooms and live in a house where they didn't design everything. Sigh. I do understand--they always wanted to retire in the mountains, and it's very beautiful where they live. Plus I can understand it must be hard to think of being less independent.

What I CAN'T understand is Sam thinking he could take Mom to the hospital when she clearly needed immediate medical attention--or that Mom was more worried about upsetting him than insisting that he call 911. That really, really worries me.

Plus if I had to listen to him lecture Mom one more time about how none of this would have happened if she took care of himself like HE does, I think we both would have screamed. Don't get me wrong, I understand that all those things are their choice and will remain so as long as they remain legally competent to accept the risks and decide for themselves. I'm very very grateful and relieved that I was there to help. I'm just very worried Sam has Mom that concerned about upsetting him. I know I can't do anything about it but that makes me so sad I can't tell you.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:51 PM   #191

Quote:
Here is Shadow's neckerchief. Shhhhh, it is a Christmas present so don't tell him
Both presents are gorgeous!
Old 11-18-2012, 03:57 PM   #192

PS I promise I won't tell Shadow.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:37 PM   #193

Quote:
Awww, cute. Mum's the word!

And the bracelet is beautiful!

Old 11-18-2012, 05:37 PM   #194

Jane.

I'd be worried too.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:06 PM   #195

Quote:
Jane.

I'd be worried too.
Well, the sad thing is it's nothing that hasn't been going on for 40 years now. Long history of Mom letting some pretty damaging stuff happen rather than risk upsetting stepdad. I can try to make social workers aware of the dynamic but if parents are legally competent to choose the status quo, none of us can do much to compel them to change anything.

I was elated to have made it through 8 days without him blowing up at me last week. He really likes to be in control of everything. It helped that we split visiting hours. I know he loves Mom and I know he loves me but I could not have put up with those control and temper issues as long as she has.

Last edited by muddy otter; 11-18-2012 at 07:15 PM..
Old 11-18-2012, 07:07 PM   #196

Oh well. Off to take dogs out one last time and (surprise!) go back to sleep.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:14 PM   #197

I don't mean to sound as though I don't care. I wish with all my heart that stepdad could see how much his anger can damage things he claims he cares about. I guess it's not so much that I don't care as it is that I've stopped believing anything will get through to him or change the situation.

And having gone through everything that happened when Dad got sick, I know the legal constraints on what can be done when someone allows unhealthy behavior to continue. In Dad's case, he chose to drink. In Mom's case, she chooses to defend and excuse stepdad.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:20 PM   #198

Oh Jane. I understand. Nothing you can do but what you've already done, tried to do. It's hard. And sad. (((hugs))) I don't think anybody that knows you would ever think at all that you don't care.

It's gotta be so hard to have to just watch that go on.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:56 PM   #199
Failed Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PH in VA View Post
Apple pie would be good and kind of goes with the fall/harvest idea of Thanksgiving.

Chocolate pie is good any time of year...
Not when you've read The Help it's not
Old 11-18-2012, 10:58 PM   #200
Failed Lurker

Quote:
Yes, maybe apple....

I'm steering away from chocolate because typically Asians don't like all that creamy stuff and they don't like things as sweet as most Americans do.
I think that's true of many nations, LOL! Some of the "savoury" recipes I see on Pinterest make my eyes water!

(BTW I removed your superfluous apostrophe because I know you'd be kicking yourself about it... and because I'm Sheldon)