Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree553Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2012, 05:40 AM   #1321
Stazon Splitcoast

[QUOTE=muddy otter;19901075]Karen! Those are just gorgeous!

a
We have a blue saguaro up the road and next door has multi coloured lights. They use a pole to sit the lights on the top then walk around a bit!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 12-24-2012, 05:45 AM   #1322
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose View Post
Rainsong, that's one reason I haven't done much baking in a lot of years. With no family or close friends to give stuff away to, there's really no need to have dozens of cookies around for ME to eat!
We go to friends on Christmas day evening for dessert so will take half of the lemon squares ( made a double batch) some bark, half the fudge, some biscotti, all the macaroons as the husbands uncle and wife and her son, brother, grandma ( kids 93 yo great grandma) mum all go. His sister and her husband and kids are in Hawaii this year. Mince pies, lemon squares some biscotti and a bit of bark are for us as are the sausage rolls, the rest was for the neighbours. So a long baking day but not much staying here.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:49 AM   #1323
Stazon Splitcoast

I think I'm going to take a shower then start wrapping stuff. Didn't happen last night! Can't delay the inevitable any longer.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:46 AM   #1324
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy otter View Post
RS I seriously <3 you. And ERK too! xxoo

It's funny because now that everyone knows I make cards I feel like I can't just run off and get a store-bought one if I'm in a rush any more.
I hear you! We had to mail non-homemade cards last year.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
Old 12-24-2012, 09:47 AM   #1325

Quote:

I have to admit one reason I'm SO glad our family moved the celebration to January (other than way cheaper tickets and no travel during mad rush) is that making it any old weekend took ALL the pressure off my Mom. She went from being a stressed out ball of fury over the least thing not being perfect to just enjoying all of us being together and cooking whatever--still yummy, but the whole focus shifted from Each Morsel and Moment Must Be Perfect to just hanging out.

I have so much admiration for all of you who plan the holidays with love and joy and really enjoy putting a special day together, but who don't start launching nuclear warheads if things fall out of picture-perfect ideal completeness for a nanosecond. I have the feeling your families must have--and will keep building--really lovely memories.
My first Christmas away from home was incredibly peaceful.

Old 12-24-2012, 09:48 AM   #1326

I got out early, got the rest of the cards dumped into a mailbox for pickup today. Hopefully they are all postmarked Christmas Eve. lol

Some of you are getting them - so that's good. I didn't figure you all needed a letter cos you know what happens all year long.

Old 12-24-2012, 09:48 AM   #1327

Then I stopped at Starbucks. I woke up a few times last night, after staying up too late, so I may be a bit zombie-like today.

Old 12-24-2012, 09:49 AM   #1328

Quote:
E, I want to fly down there and hug you. Well, ok, and maybe just a small cup of your gumbo?

And then go out for cheese enchiladas.

Tell DH it could be worse--the traditional Jewish Christmas dinner in NYC is takeout Chinese.
Hey we went for Chinese last night! Thought of you. Checked their hours. Closed on Christmas.

Old 12-24-2012, 09:49 AM   #1329

Quote:
If I ever need another d/w, I'd love to have one with a bottom rack big enough for me to get the plastic dog food bins in there. Machine at the old house could take them, this one won't. Not that it's a big deal to wash anything by hand, just that I know the dishwasher sanitizes them because the water temp is so high.

I kind of like figuring out how to load a dishwasher efficiently. It's like trying to pack the cargo space of the wagon for a camping trip! D/W Tetris sounds like fun!
Yes, dishwasher Tetris!!! w00t! I am THE BEST packer in the house.

Old 12-24-2012, 09:50 AM   #1330

Quote:
Sort of medium local, LOL... one of the guys who lived in big house where BFF lived finished his PhD and teaches a couple of hours away. Prof's BFF dropped out of his PhD program, stayed in VA, got married and went to work for firm that publishes legal texts. Prof's BFF, prof and I have had some long heartfelt discussions over the years about advantages and disadvantages of dropping out of grad school--the two of us who did have had much more of a chance to put down roots and have stable careers. Back in the 80s/early 90s, humanities professors were kind of academic migrant workers--it's only been in the last 10 years or so as guys who earned PhDs in the 60s have been retiring that the market's opened up a bit. My BFF, prof's BFF and his wife and I all have stayed in touch although prof and I fell out of touch for a bit after he dated a friend of mine and it didn't work out. I think it was hard for him to see me for a while after that.

Anyway, prof's BFF and wife will be at prof's house for New Year's, my BFF and her husband are coming and they're all going to celebrate! They wanted me to come up for New Year's Eve, but I have to work a full day next Mon (last day of the year is always busy), then my friend who was insulted that I missed his birthday party to visit friends out of town the year before this and his GF are having a New Year's Eve party and I'd already accepted. I wouldn't have felt right bailing under the circumstances, though I already told them I'd be leaving before midnight. While (knock wood) Molly hasn't had any seizures for a while, I don't want her alone and terrified of the noise. Friend was a bit crabby about that so I have the feeling bailing altogether would have been seriously detrimental to friendship.

In any case, waking up early to meet everyone a couple of hours up the road for breakfast by the time they all wake up will be much more fun than trying to get out of town the night before. And the dogs are invited to prof's, so I won't have to rush back home! I can't WAIT to see everyone!!!
Oh sounds good and fun! And like you're worked out how not to overdo things, too!

Old 12-24-2012, 09:56 AM   #1331

Yay! NCIS all day!

Old 12-24-2012, 10:33 AM   #1332
neglecting the kids and housework

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmscoping View Post
I am on strike for Christmas... Ill have to update y'all later on that other fun situation but basically I said I'm done... We got invited to a friends for Christmas to eat tamales... I've never in my life had tamales for Christmas but if I don't have to cook, ill be good with that! Dh is trying to figure out how you have Christmas without a ham or turkey and I told him he was welcome to cook whatever he wanted.....

I am making a big pot on gumbo today since its so freaking cold outside. But I've got this Scrooge/grinch thing down pat! Lol.
Tamales for Christmas and Christmas Eve is a big tradition out here. I've helped make them once but it's more fun just being on the receiving end.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:46 AM   #1333

Quote:
Gack. I can visualize the rain. Swanky place sounds annoying. Annoyng people sound annoying. I hate it when people decide to rearrange someone's guest list without consulting the person doing the actual inviting. That comes across to me as saying 'well your hospitality doesn't suit my needs, so let me just fix that for you.' Um, NO. Your (polite) choices are ask nicely and take whatever answer you're given in good spirits, or decline and go hang out with whoever YOU want on YOUR list. Grrrrrr.

Oh--you and your friends won't mind eating on the sidewalk in front of the house will you?
Oh worse. Not friends. Friends I could ignore and not feel pressured about acknowledging. This is SIL's mom and brother. the mom seriously makes my blood boil. And I'm a calm kind person. But she has just overstepped too one too many boundaries and is a nonperson to me. The brother I've met once. he's weird. They all are. They marry and unmarry and marry again, regardless of the fact that that partner might be abusive or an alcoholic or just a bum. Not my choice of people to be around on Christmas.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:10 AM   #1334

Wrose I got your card a few days ago. It is GORGEOUS! I love the sparkle and the purple.
PH I got yours today. So, well, pretty seems too small of a word but it really is pretty. I love the layout too. I always love that layout and never remember to use it. I stared at the glimmer inks for awhile, not that I'm tired or anything.

Lets see, today has been cleaning, baking breadsticks right now, counters are pretty much cleaned.
I need to wash Christmas mugs and coffee service, frost cookies, sweep, clean kitchen on elast time after all that.
DH has been working in kids rooms and teaching them to vacuum. He's also called dibs on cleaning the bathroom, no argument from me. I secretly think he likes doing it because he closes the door and no one bothers him lol

OK gotta go make frosting and color it all kinds of wonderful shades and pull out sprinkles.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:27 AM   #1335

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewsplendidstamper View Post
Wrose I got your card a few days ago. It is GORGEOUS! I love the sparkle and the purple.
PH I got yours today. So, well, pretty seems too small of a word but it really is pretty. I love the layout too. I always love that layout and never remember to use it. I stared at the glimmer inks for awhile, not that I'm tired or anything.

Lets see, today has been cleaning, baking breadsticks right now, counters are pretty much cleaned.
I need to wash Christmas mugs and coffee service, frost cookies, sweep, clean kitchen on elast time after all that.
DH has been working in kids rooms and teaching them to vacuum. He's also called dibs on cleaning the bathroom, no argument from me. I secretly think he likes doing it because he closes the door and no one bothers him lol

OK gotta go make frosting and color it all kinds of wonderful shades and pull out sprinkles.
When I get handmade cards, I always put them at the front of the collection (I have a red basket) and I always keep them. The other cards, after a year (usually), I cut off the fronts of ones I think Marge might be able to use, and toss the rest. Or actually, recycle.

But I love to fondle the handmade ones.

Old 12-24-2012, 12:40 PM   #1336
Her Royal Awesomeness of Shiner Bock PTA Pirate Land

i put my handmade xmas cards and the photocards in a scrapbook... it's fun looking at the kiddos grow up over the years. and then think about the time and effort someone took to make me feel special by sending a handmade one - well, that gives me warm fuzzies all over again.

2013 Scrapping Goal 48 pages
To date 20 completed!

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Old 12-24-2012, 12:41 PM   #1337

so just realized taht the friend i'm going over to eat with tomorrow is also having her mother and sister over too.... i have a present for the friend - but totaly forgot about mom and sister.... so i'm making mom and sister a set of 6 cards. and then i did friend a stationary box to go with her other gift...

To date 20 completed!

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Old 12-24-2012, 12:58 PM   #1338

here are the cards, i cased them from stamptek
but i did no stamping.

flowers cut out by my cricut. polka dot embossing folder.

the dp was from the 6x6 pads from like 100 years ago. i think they used to be hostess sets...

i used a bunch of stuff - does this count as cleaning out???

i'm boxing up and getting rid of sooooo much stuff.

one of my friends has 4 girl scout troops... (a kid in each level)

i'm giving her all my retired ink pads and reinkers and about 10 sets as well as the wood blocks i just unmounted today.

i'll probably give her some old dp too.

she's giving me a receipt so i can write it off my taxes.

i figure that by the time i tried and ebayed some of this crap- i'd be frustrated and annoyed and only make maybe 100... by giving this to her, i'll take much more than that off my taxes.
Attached Thumbnails
photo.jpg  

To date 20 completed!

Old 12-24-2012, 01:07 PM   #1339
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
In Alaska they had reindeer sausage. I wonder if they could use your recipe to make reindeer balls.
snort
Old 12-24-2012, 01:08 PM   #1340
Stazon Splitcoast

Got LOVELY cards from Jane, Wrose and PH.

And a very long 2 part letter from Jane
Old 12-24-2012, 02:42 PM   #1341

Ho ho ho, what the ho ho heck are y'all doing today?

Old 12-24-2012, 02:42 PM   #1342

Quote:
i put my handmade xmas cards and the photocards in a scrapbook... it's fun looking at the kiddos grow up over the years. and then think about the time and effort someone took to make me feel special by sending a handmade one - well, that gives me warm fuzzies all over again.
Sweet!!!! I save them in ziploc baggies. Just handmade and special ones.

Old 12-24-2012, 02:43 PM   #1343

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinois Marge View Post
Got LOVELY cards from Jane, Wrose and PH.

And a very long 2 part letter from Jane
Woohoo! They are starting to get to peeps.

Old 12-24-2012, 02:43 PM   #1344

Quote:
so just realized taht the friend i'm going over to eat with tomorrow is also having her mother and sister over too.... i have a present for the friend - but totaly forgot about mom and sister.... so i'm making mom and sister a set of 6 cards. and then i did friend a stationary box to go with her other gift...
Double sweet! I think a set of cards is a great gift.

Old 12-24-2012, 02:43 PM   #1345

Quote:
here are the cards, i cased them from stamptek
but i did no stamping.

flowers cut out by my cricut. polka dot embossing folder.

the dp was from the 6x6 pads from like 100 years ago. i think they used to be hostess sets...

i used a bunch of stuff - does this count as cleaning out???

i'm boxing up and getting rid of sooooo much stuff.

one of my friends has 4 girl scout troops... (a kid in each level)

i'm giving her all my retired ink pads and reinkers and about 10 sets as well as the wood blocks i just unmounted today.

i'll probably give her some old dp too.

she's giving me a receipt so i can write it off my taxes.

i figure that by the time i tried and ebayed some of this crap- i'd be frustrated and annoyed and only make maybe 100... by giving this to her, i'll take much more than that off my taxes.
Good idea!!!!!

Old 12-24-2012, 02:45 PM   #1346

Made a cake from a mix, red velvet with a filling center in a bundt pan. I think the filling was supposed to sink more or the cake rise more. I really shouldn't try anything so complicated in this oven. Sigh. It's on its last legs.

Old 12-24-2012, 04:27 PM   #1347
Diversified Multicultural Postmodern Deconstructionist Philogian

Quote:
Ho ho ho, what the ho ho heck are y'all doing today?
Baking. Cheesecake is done. Made the spicy glaze walnuts and washed a ton of dishes.

Am also trying to pack the dinner basket for oldest DD. Not easy when half the stuff has to be kept refrigerated.

Let's see, jar of spaghetti sauce, box of pasta, loaf (huge) of Italian bread, thingy of Lindor Truffles, container of choc. covered caramels, and another of the walnuts, plus a goody bag of cookies. Should have made a salad but ran out of steam.

Oh, and it SNOWED today! Not much but enough to give me the willies about driving tomorrow. And then--we go to Martinsburg on Thursday and the weatherman is calling for more snow.

Just what I need. Travel through the mountains of MD and WV during a snow storm.

Rainsong
Old 12-24-2012, 04:38 PM   #1348

Almost time for me to leave for work, about an hour or so. Just a few final things need preparing tomorrow. Like deviled eggs and salami rolls with banana peppers. Nothing major.

Once I get home from work the kids will put out cookies for santa and get tucked in. I may do a few dishes or mop but most likely will just chill.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:43 PM   #1349
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainsong View Post
Oh, and it SNOWED today! Not much but enough to give me the willies about driving tomorrow. And then--we go to Martinsburg on Thursday and the weatherman is calling for more snow.

Just what I need. Travel through the mountains of MD and WV during a snow storm.

Rainsong
Stay safe RS.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:45 PM   #1350
Stazon Splitcoast

Had turkey tortilla soup and home-baked bread for dinner. Delicious.

Kept it simple because we went to Portillo's for lunch. They do not publish nutrition info but OMG everything is so tasty. I had to pick up a world-famous Portillo's chocolate cake for dessert tomorrow. They are marvelous.

Jane when you are here next year, remind me to take you to Portillo's.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:48 PM   #1351
Stazon Splitcoast

Got the tablecloth ironed, dishes pulled down out of the high cupboards.

Jello salad (all 3 glorious layers) is made. Eggs are hard-boiled but won't devil them till tomorrow. Having spiral ham and turkey breast and au gratin potatoes. Leona is bringing fried rice, green beans and mango pudding.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:48 PM   #1352
Stazon Splitcoast

Presents are wrapped. We're going to watch ET now and relax.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:49 PM   #1353
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewsplendidstamper View Post
Almost time for me to leave for work, about an hour or so. Just a few final things need preparing tomorrow. Like deviled eggs and salami rolls with banana peppers. Nothing major.

Once I get home from work the kids will put out cookies for santa and get tucked in. I may do a few dishes or mop but most likely will just chill.
I think you deserve to chill.

Do you do reindeer dust?
Old 12-24-2012, 07:07 PM   #1354
Diversified Multicultural Postmodern Deconstructionist Philogian

Quote:
Woohoo! They are starting to get to peeps.
I have no clue what's in our mailbox. Neither one of us ventured down the steps to find out today. Dh checked for the newspaper around 5a.m. before the snow started. Wasn't there, so we never went back out.

I did get a gorgeous tag from Marge over the weekend. Thank you, Marge!
It's hanging on the tree as we speak--er--type.

Rainsong
Old 12-24-2012, 07:17 PM   #1355

I saw that a storm with 70-80 mph winds is headed to the "Deep South" by Wednesday. The Governor of Mississippi advised people to bring in all their Christmas decorations before that.

Old 12-24-2012, 07:19 PM   #1356

DS is supposed to fly Friday but northern tier (Marge, to that Midway airport, then on to Ohio). Hope his weather holds. Actually I would be okay if a huge snowstorm kept him home another week...........

Old 12-24-2012, 07:42 PM   #1357
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Band Mom

Quote:
When I get handmade cards, I always put them at the front of the collection (I have a red basket) and I always keep them. The other cards, after a year (usually), I cut off the fronts of ones I think Marge might be able to use, and toss the rest. Or actually, recycle.

But I love to fondle the handmade ones.
We're alike in that regard. That's what I do with the cards we receive, too. Except the basket isn't red, lol.

I had a lovely sparkly card from Wrosey wait ing for me at home when we got in tonight. Even YDS said it was really pretty.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:12 PM   #1358

so y'all want to hear a funny....

friends aren't eating till 4ish tomorrow...

i knew this and had told dh this but it didn't register....

when he finally figured it out around 7 pm tonight he said - i don't want to wait that late - let's go ahead and cook the turkey....

and i said "let's" not - but you can....

and he said - "we" can cook dressing and green bean salad and and and

and i said - "we" aren't doing squat - "we" are waiting till 4 tomorrow to eat gumbo and tamales. if YOU want something else earlier then YOU can cook it...

seriously was wanting me to cook a full blown dinner at 7 pm tonight...

To date 20 completed!

Old 12-24-2012, 08:32 PM   #1359

HA HA HA

Watching videos of the Cinnamon Challenge. Two guys eating a teaspoon full of cinnamon.

Ha ha ha

Looks like the Mummy - breathing brown dust out. ha ha ha

Old 12-24-2012, 08:39 PM   #1360

Quote:
so y'all want to hear a funny....

friends aren't eating till 4ish tomorrow...

i knew this and had told dh this but it didn't register....

when he finally figured it out around 7 pm tonight he said - i don't want to wait that late - let's go ahead and cook the turkey....

and i said "let's" not - but you can....

and he said - "we" can cook dressing and green bean salad and and and

and i said - "we" aren't doing squat - "we" are waiting till 4 tomorrow to eat gumbo and tamales. if YOU want something else earlier then YOU can cook it...

seriously was wanting me to cook a full blown dinner at 7 pm tonight...
He never ceases to amaze!