Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree553Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 03:34 PM   #841
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Looks like the statium is six miles away as the crow flies.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 12-09-2012, 03:34 PM   #842

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinois Marge View Post
OK, so have spent a TON of time working on my "tags" made from recycled Christmas cards. I think I might have enough now! I also got my letter drafted. This is all quite late for me.
Wow, Marge! They look awesome!!

Old 12-09-2012, 04:09 PM   #843
Directionally Challenged Parrothead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose View Post
DH always puts his dishes in the d/w, so does DS. DD not so much.
Ex was sometimes good about helping, sometimes not so much. He was very good about cleaning up when I cooked, did cook sometimes (mostly frozen pizza) but that was about it. Everything else other than car related frequently turned into a sulking fit or a fight.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:10 PM   #844

Quote:
Hey Jane, remember the top of our hill with cows on the other side? From there you can clearly see the 49ers new stadium going up, and not too far away either! It's a huge hulk of framework at the moment.
Holy cow!!!! Well... in more ways than one!
Old 12-09-2012, 04:12 PM   #845

Quote:
OK, so have spent a TON of time working on my "tags" made from recycled Christmas cards. I think I might have enough now! I also got my letter drafted. This is all quite late for me.
MARGE!!!!

Your tags make me want to sing that song about how it's the most wonderful time of the year!
Old 12-09-2012, 04:19 PM   #846
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy otter View Post
YOU GOT A NEW CAR!!!!!!!

OMIGOAT!
OMIGOAT!
OMIGOAT!!!!!

LOVE it!!! It's gorgeous!!! Will you be towing it when you take the RV cross country?
Yes. It's 4 wheel down towable. Loved the 2013 Ford Escape but it's no longer towable 4 wd, only on a 2wheel dolly.

Yes, We're hoping to come and see you while Lawrence takes a woodworking course.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:22 PM   #847
Stazon Splitcoast

DH is in DC on a course for a week so it's just me and the cherubs. He will miss their strings concert on Thursday which is a shame so I'll have to try and video some of it.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:25 PM   #848
Stazon Splitcoast

Been crazy here, trying to get stuff done before he goes. Of course, things fell by the wayside so he will have to get a move on when he gets home. We did get the lights up yesterday and the tree. So far, tree 2 kitten 0.............but barely. He climbs it very well! The boys and I had to do some errands today and also go to the library. They found a small item in the Target $ spot so the bet was that if the tree had been knocked down they would pay with their allowance, if it was still standing I would pay. I lost (all good really as I'd much rather have the tree in one piece).
Old 12-09-2012, 04:30 PM   #849

You know you're welcome to stay for as long as you'd like!
Old 12-09-2012, 04:34 PM   #850

Quote:
Originally Posted by PH in VA View Post
HOW CUTE is this?!?

Globe Christmas Ornament
Very sweet!
Old 12-09-2012, 04:38 PM   #851

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainsong View Post
Who wanted the French dip recipe? It's not my recipe, but one hubby saw on youtube. PrincessDiana161 (crazy woman with EXCELLENT, easy recipes.

Anyway--

2 cans beef broth
2 envelopes Lipton onion soup mix
3--4 lb rump roast

Dump it all in the crock pot. Cook until quite tender. Remove roast from pot and shred with two forks. Place beef back in broth and cook for another half hour.

Scoop beef onto steak rolls. Top with Provolone slices (I used an Italian three cheese mix) and slip under broiler until hot and bubbly. Slice each sandwich in half on the diagonal. Serve with a dish of the broth for dipping.

I added one minced clove of garlic tonight (leftovers), because I felt it needed just a little bit more flavor. Waiting for it to heat up now. Hubby is drooling.

Enjoy!

Rainsong
Holy cow I want to drive to the Super Target right now and buy a crock pot, cans of broth, french onion soup mix and a rump roast.

I guess just for me it would be one can of broth, one soup mix and a 1.5 - 2 lb roast. But I think I know what I'm making first thing when I get the crock pot!
Old 12-09-2012, 04:40 PM   #852

Quote:
Pippin just cone-butted the pantry door shut.
He's so pretty, LOL!
Old 12-09-2012, 04:43 PM   #853

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlysonRR View Post
My mom gave me her old one when she bought a pretty one. I like some of the features of the new ones, though - I may get a pretty one for myself. The problem is that none of them have all the features I want, like the lid clamps/seal for taking it in a car and the feature when it will go to keep warm at a preset time.
When you said your Mom bought a pretty one my first thought was, I wonder if that means it's not much good at mathematics and doesn't get jokes... and that maybe it would cone-butt the pantry door shut...
Old 12-09-2012, 04:46 PM   #854

Quote:
Well in about six weeks, there won't be any more kids here to do dishes.
Oh.

I will miss hearing what they're up to. Aren't they not supposed to both leave at once?
Old 12-09-2012, 04:48 PM   #855

Quote:
ODS's pretty moment today came when he said, "I can get from here to downtown, and I can get from here to the mall, but I don't know how to get from downtown to the mall."

He's only lived in this area all his life.
Don't ever get him a Garmin. He'll turn into my friend up the street who about could not drive the mile and a half from our house to the Super Target without that thing telling him where to turn, LOL...
Old 12-09-2012, 04:51 PM   #856

Quote:
I just looked online and even the mountains here aren't that cold. I have to look as far as the Sierras to see any 30s, and mostly mid to high 30s at that.

But if you look a bit further north, to Mt. Shasta:
Mount Shasta: Is U.S. Snowstorm Record in Jeopardy? - weather.com

But I can't see that from here.
YIKES.

I thought about you and V during all the storms.

Actually reading about them made me want to see if your DH would lend us the straight drive so we could go back to Oregon--sounds perfect for another trip up that way!
Old 12-09-2012, 04:55 PM   #857

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlysonRR View Post
We got some of that action today - I actually lost power for awhile and there are tons of trees down plus the creeks are pushing out gravel from the hills, which only happens when it really really rains.

Before the last few years they called a storm that caused the creeks to drag gravel down onto the roads (making them impassable) a hundred-year storm. Since we've had three of them in the last six years, I think they're going to have to re-think that designation...
YIKES Alyson.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:09 PM   #858

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewsplendidstamper View Post
Make sure it has four feet. I have one that has three. I don't know why they designed it that way. But I don't use it often enough to be worried about it getting knocked over.
But isn't a tripod supposed to be the most stable thing for standing? Or could you really knock it over if it only has three feet?

Ack now I really want to drive to the Super Target and get one. And a rump roast too... on the bright side I don't need a Garmin to get there and I do know how to get uptown from there as well as from the house, LOL!
Old 12-09-2012, 05:18 PM   #859

Quote:
People who invest moderately in bathroom and kitchen renovations generally get their money back and then some. Bathrooms typically get 100% of their money back and kitchens just a bit less (98.5%).

If you are thinking of selling in the future (and I know you are) this is a good article on what upgrades to make to get the most for your money.
Home Improvement: Top 5 projects to boost home's value for resale (Page 2 of 2)

Rainsong
Cool article, RS!

I loved the kitchen and bathrooms in our last house--the one we bought when it was half-framed and got to pick out all the fixtures. Gas range, all white appliances, wonderful garden tub and shower upstairs. I loved that we put separate faucets for the hot and cold water on the tub so that every now and then when my back bothered me and I wanted a good long soak, I could keep just a trickle of hot water going to keep the temp good and steamy.

I miss my gas stove and special tub, and the deep periwinkle tile with the white stripe in the master bath. Oddly enough the color I picked for the bedroom here turned out to be about a perfect match for the old bathroom tile!

On the other hand this house has only a single moderately weird neighbor, the rest are wonderful, and you can't beat the pond out back!
Old 12-09-2012, 05:25 PM   #860

Quote:
'Sokay, Wrose. Stainless is out. Most people hate having to constantly wipe it down to remove fingerprints.

I posted about it in some other thread (who knows where) the "new" color is WHITE! Specifically--White Ice by Whirlpool. Whirlpool® Ice Collection Freestanding

Neat article about trends here: White is becoming a clear star across a broad range of kitchen styles and with all manner of appliances

No sense re-doing the kitchen in something that will be out-dated by the time it's up and running.

Oh, and count on about 6 mths without a kitchen. Since you don't cook, shouldn't be difficult!

Rainsong
That's so funny about the white appliances! The ones here are all black, except for fridge, which is stainless. I like the black appliances--they've really grown on me. Counters both here and at old house are formica--I love granite but so many people I know who have it seem really worried about scratching it or damaging the finish. I really like formica. When we moved in, we had the stainless sink replaced with a black one. I'd love to re-do the cabinets here but I'm about 15k short of the 15k kitchen remodel price, LOL...

My old townhouse had all white appliances and white formica counters, and pale washed oak cabinets. I painted the whole open dowstairs periwinkle, with the kitchen just a few shades darker. I loved it. Although I'm saving up to paint the great room in the back here, and with all the orange kitchen appliances and accents and the pumpkin colored sofa and chairs, I'm going from a soft suede/cocoa brown to a pale peach instead of a pale peri.

At least that's one renovation I hope I can afford by spring!
Old 12-09-2012, 05:28 PM   #861

Quote:
Dr. Doolittle doesn't live here.

Truly he doesn't.

The parade of critters through this place started with the goat, followed by bears, llamas, deer, a few stray cats and a rattlesnake.

Things calmed down around here for a few years and then came this year.

The lady across the road lost her husband two years ago to kidney failure, so she put her house up for sale. A young couple bought the house and moved in back in June. We didn't know they'd moved in until we heard the guns going off. In their driveway.

They have three dogs.

And they like to visit Abby.

Occasionally dh lets Molly in to play with Abby. Booey (pronounced buoy) and Kylie are a bit timid about coming into the fenced area so they sit outside the fence and watch.

The neighbors then put up an electronic fence and now their dogs all wear collars--sometimes the collars even work and they stay in their own yard. Now not only do they dogs visit, so do their chickens.

Also this year, the lady across the road and opposite our nearest neighbor passed away and her family sold her home to a young couple. I haven't met the female half but did meet her boyfriend back when dh was in the hospital back in October.

Just as Hurricane Sandy was raining on us, I heard Abby barking her full head off and went to see what was going on. A man was walking around our chicken coop (no, we don't have chickens--it's a leftover from the people who built this place). At first I thought it was nearest neighbor's grandson but then realized he looked a bit "rough." He waved, then asked (in a rather backwoods accent, 'Excuse me ma'am, but have you seen a little black pig? (Pig was two syllables) He got out this morning and I can't find him."

I hadn't seen said pig and told him so. He continued down through the yard and I came in to take my shower before going to the hospital to visit dh.

Before I could get out the door, dh called to ask when I was coming and if it was still raining. As we talked, I saw someone on our sidewalk holding an umbrella in one hand and a dog leash in the other with a bulldog at the end of the leash. Turns out it was, again, the new neighbor still looking for his "little black pi-ig." He gave me a slip of paper with his name and phone number on it in case I saw his pig.

In between this last visit from new neighbor and today, we've had more visits from Molly, Kylie and Booey and the chickens.

But today, oh today, I looked out the front window to see a friggin' PIG in the front yard! Not the "little black pi-ig" but a smallish (about the size of a Basset hound) white pig with black eyes rooting around the front yard and terrifying our cats--all lined up on the front porch checking out this strange critter.

Naturally I called our new neighbor--who was still at work. "Oh, man. He was in his pen when I came to work. I'm leaving now and will be there soon." Mind you, these folks do NOT have a farm, just a ranch house with a large yard.

So what is it about our house that draws these critters here? It's not like we throw food out the door to attract them.

I did get a picture of the pig. He is rather cute, but to me, he looked like BACON.

Rainsong
I think animals know where the love is.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:31 PM   #862

Quote:
Went to WW this morning. Neighbor didn't go. Can't count on her too much anymore, her attendance is not regular anymore. She is over her goal weight by a few pounds and doesn't want to pay. So I went to the closer location and meeting 1/2 hour later so I could sleep in a bit.
Yay for closer WW and sleeping in.

Speaking of sleeping I guess I am going to go do some of that now. I did catch up to last Sunday though... I'm getting there!

Sleep well everyone. The ZZZZZs have missed you too.

Wrose, you do not want a dishwasher that snores louder than I do. Well, you probably don't want a helicopter that does that either.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:17 PM   #863
neglecting the kids and housework

Quote:
But isn't a tripod supposed to be the most stable thing for standing? Or could you really knock it over if it only has three feet?

Ack now I really want to drive to the Super Target and get one. And a rump roast too... on the bright side I don't need a Garmin to get there and I do know how to get uptown from there as well as from the house, LOL!
it's an oval crock pot so basically two feet one side one the other. I've tipped it while stirring. luckily no spills or burns but close calls.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:24 PM   #864

Quote:
Oh.

I will miss hearing what they're up to. Aren't they not supposed to both leave at once?
Well it's only like three weeks away for one, now, and about five for the other.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:24 PM   #865

Had a wonderful chunk of days off topped off with a party celebrating my great aunt's 90th! So incredibly happy to see family I hadn't in years.
now back to real work schedule and school and party planning. I'm hoping to get e-vite and menu and school I by list all done while kids are at school. then Tuesday Zach goes to see the Nut Cracker and Wednesday is Jacob's holiday show.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:26 PM   #866

Jane I have something to send you. but I want to make sure you'll be around. if it goes out tomorrow will you be there Friday Monday timeframe?
Old 12-09-2012, 06:27 PM   #867
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Band Mom

Quote:
PH I remember when you directed us to look at where the school was once, and it was still an empty field on street view. (Google maps) If that's still true, then they haven't gone through and updated that. Although I believe YOU can report it to be updated. Whenever you pull up a map, on the bottom, toward the right, is "report a problem." You can click there. A couple years ago, their lettering was coming up right on top of the mileage measure thing, and I clicked and reported that. It's been fixed.

You might be able to speed up the update by providing the name and address of the school, and any other info they might be able to use.

Now if he used the map thing on the new iPhone, we'd just blame Apple. lol

That's a different school. The one you referenced just opened in 2010; it's a new school that was built to ease overcrowding at one of the other high schools. It just amused me that the Google street view hadn't been updated for it.

The one I was talking about yesterday, there had been a THS for some years, and then they built a new THS school building that opened for the 1989-1990 school year. The directions given by ODS's phone went to the old building.

And IMO, it's pretty bad for something that's supposed to be a source of information to give directions that have been outdated for over 20 years.

I confirmed today with ODS that he used the Maps app on his iPhone*. So yes, if blame needs to be put somewhere, it should be directed to the guy who developed the app for Apple. (Who, I understand, was fired from his job not too long ago.)

* he has the 4S, which he received for Christmas last year, so it's not super new. But the Maps app changed with an IOS upgrade made when the iPhone 5 came out.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:28 PM   #868

OH! I got a surprise donation today. I'm over $400!
Old 12-09-2012, 06:28 PM   #869
Band Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmscoping View Post
Seriously?? I mailed you one 3 months ago....; I freaking HATE my post office. I wonder if Taylor got hers!!
I have the holiday mini, but not the IB&C.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:29 PM   #870

««««did not update
Old 12-09-2012, 06:30 PM   #871
Band Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmscoping View Post
But did I mention I'm going to Mexico???? We won a trip for 6... Woohoo.
Fantastic! When will you be going?

Sorry about the bad seats, though.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:31 PM   #872

Hey Wrose would you bother your girl fir me and ask her if she could e c plain book sharing on the kindle to me?
I didn't realize that you only got to borrow one free book a . month and . I wasted it on a kids book
Old 12-09-2012, 06:34 PM   #873
Band Mom

Quote:
PH, I think poor DS deserves a little slack. Actually following the teacher/band leader was a pretty creative strategy
Once I got the full story from him, it all made better sense.

But - he knows he's not supposed to be messing with his phone when he's driving. If he had looked through the directions before he left the house, he could have asked DH or me about it.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:35 PM   #874

time to tuck in some kids.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:35 PM   #875
Band Mom

Quote:
I can haz come back to threadz now?
Hooray! You're back!!!

Sorry you were sick and your internet stuffs were sick. Glad things are going better for you now.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:37 PM   #876
Band Mom

Quote:
Wow! Looks like a really nice assortment!

Um, I need to get working on my Christmas cards.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:42 PM   #877
Band Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewsplendidstamper View Post
OH! I got a surprise donation today. I'm over $400!
Hooray!
Old 12-09-2012, 06:46 PM   #878

Quote:
That's a different school. The one you referenced just opened in 2010; it's a new school that was built to ease overcrowding at one of the other high schools. It just amused me that the Google street view hadn't been updated for it.

The one I was talking about yesterday, there had been a THS for some years, and then they built a new THS school building that opened for the 1989-1990 school year. The directions given by ODS's phone went to the old building.

And IMO, it's pretty bad for something that's supposed to be a source of information to give directions that have been outdated for over 20 years.

I confirmed today with ODS that he used the Maps app on his iPhone*. So yes, if blame needs to be put somewhere, it should be directed to the guy who developed the app for Apple. (Who, I understand, was fired from his job not too long ago.)

* he has the 4S, which he received for Christmas last year, so it's not super new. But the Maps app changed with an IOS upgrade made when the iPhone 5 came out.
Dang! Yeah I know people that didn't upgrade because of that dang map thing!

Old 12-09-2012, 06:47 PM   #879

Like V!

Old 12-09-2012, 06:47 PM   #880

Well I'm aLmost out of battery and have a book I need to read and some tv I need to watch. catch y'all tomorrow