Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree553Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2013, 07:01 AM   #8681
Directionally Challenged Parrothead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinois Marge View Post
Why are people afraid to ask for help?
We don't want to be any trouble.

And we like to think we're more organized and on top of things than we probably actually are.

That's my theory...
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Stampin Wrose likes this post.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:02 AM   #8682

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose View Post
Marge, I think part of it means admitting out loud that you can't do what you used to be able to do.
That's probably a lot of it, too.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:03 AM   #8683

Quote:
The new toilet we have is pretty neat. Very quick and quiet flush.
YAY for new toilet... finally. That only took forever, didn't it?
Old 09-28-2013, 07:05 AM   #8684

Quote:
Originally Posted by PH in VA View Post
We lost our football game Friday night. It was SO close. But the other team got a touchdown in the last minute and got a two-point conversion to pull ahead. Our team did make some pretty incredible plays and really played hard, so it was a tough loss. There was also a controversial "injury" to one of the opposing team's players that soured the mood.

Oh well. In the long run it's only a game. But this is the second game we've lost by only one point, so it's disappointing to have a 1-3 record when the guys have played so hard. (We lost our second game of the season by one point in double overtime.)
It's got to be heartbreaking to play so hard and lose by such a tiny margin.

It sounds like they played a really amazing game though, and they deserve heartfelt congratulations on that!
Old 09-28-2013, 09:10 AM   #8685

Quote:
I'd love to see an educational system that valued the arts as much as the math.
I'd love to see a society that paid teachers even a quarter of what we pay the 'roided up pituitary cases playing ball games, let alone the hoodlums with finance degrees using Wall Street shenanigans to ensure the rest of us never see a penny from a pension fund.

Don't get me wrong, I love a good football game as much as the next person, and I have huge respect for the creativity and challenge of the free market, and for anyone with the intelligence, drive and work ethic to do well in life. But the degree of corruption and doping and money in sports gets very, very depressing. And what's gone on in our financial system--and the dogma that makes people thing prosperity demands that we turn the jackals loose on the middle class--just makes me ill.
PH in VA likes this post.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:24 AM   #8686

Quote:
So I have book club tonight.

Jane, you'll be happy to hear that I finished "Wild" (the Pacific Coast Trail book) last night. The one you talked to book club neighbor Mary with when we saw her out walking and we were sitting in the driveway with our wine. Just in time, LOL. Actually it was August's book but Aug got cancelled. I enjoyed it -- I think. But I really did not like the author as a person (her writing was good) in the sense of her lack of preparedness and what I thought were pretty dumb decisions and her loosey-goosey morals. So the whole time I was reading it I was thinking, I really don't like this lady so it is stopping me from a full thumbs up.

And I finished this month's book, "Salmon Fishing in the Yemen". That one gets a full thumbs up. One of the most innovative plots I've read for a while, a really unique story line. Whole story is told via a variety of work memos, emails, diary entries, interviews, etc. Very different style and I liked it. Boy I did not see the ending coming.
Ooo, now I want to read Salmon Fishing in the Yemen.

I agree with you about finding it hard to like the author. She was awful to her husband and had no idea what she was doing on the trail. That's the sort of delusional recklessness that gets people killed. I agree with you on both counts. But having hiked and camped and done some of what she describes in the book (if, I hope, in far better prepared circumstances), I thought her description of people helping each other on the trail--and the way people tried to help her--was very moving. BFF and I ran into so many of those moments of grace when we drove cross country: a couple in a Winnebago next to us that put our tent back together when a thunderstorm blew it over while we had gone into town to get supplies, a man on a motorcycle rock climbing with his 10-year old son on the back who stopped to help us when Susan's car died on a highway in the Rockies.

I got a sense from the book that her encounters with that kindness--and her ability to appreciate them--ultimately helped her take the first steps away from that selfishness. There is such a camaraderie in that trail-hiking experience. I think it's what my friend Hillary described about living in Alaska too: that people are very fiercely independent but they'll help anyone in a heartbeat. There's something in that remoteness that seems to call out both the independence and strength as well as the interdependence and hope of passing on something of goodness that can bring out the best in people, or at least not wanting to leave them to perish. Although maybe that's me bringing my own experience to what I read. I thought it was interesting that some people didn't like the book because it was as much about her experience with people as with the wilderness. I know for me, those small and lovely encounters I've had with people in wild places have always been as beautiful to me as the places I've seen. I think in the end it was people and her own commitment to finishing something that kind of helped set her on a better path, not only literally but in terms of her larger life. I think her absolutely brutal candor about the ugliness of her behavior must have taken a lot to acknowledge. She was pretty honest about it and I didn't feel as though she was trying to excuse or minimize what she did. For me, that spoke to a more sound sense of direction as well.

I was also really intrigued that she picked a totally new last name after the divorce. I didn't realize you could do that. I've wondered since I read the book what I would have picked if I had known my choices weren't limited to my maiden or married last names.

It's pretty hard to like manipulative drug addicts who use people though.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:29 AM   #8687

Quote:
Originally Posted by Englishrose View Post
We signed papers yesterday and the house goes on the market today. So please keep fingers crossed, good vibes for a quick sale. Otherwise the kids will drive me crackers trying to keep everything immaculate.
Fingers crossed, Karen! And warmest wishes to all four of you for the big adventure ahead!
Old 09-28-2013, 09:44 AM   #8688

Quote:
The boys are 3 days into their 3 week autumn break. My walking friend and I didn't go Monday but we dragged all our kids along yesterday ( bikes and scooters at the park) then today they all took their scooters and helmets and we left them with their friends older brother in charge at the skate park. Then we came home, got breakfast, I showered then we went to the zoo. Our elephant mum is expecting again - due sometime between June and August next year. So we have dad, mum, 6 year old calf, 3 year old calf and auntie.
Congratulations to Auntie Elephant! I hope she enjoys being an Aunt as much as I have!
Old 09-28-2013, 12:09 PM   #8689
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Quote:
Double competition day for the band! Wooo-hooooo!
Good luck, PH!!!! Let us know how it goes! How's the weather??

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
Old 09-28-2013, 12:12 PM   #8690

Quote:
V!!!! You've been on so infrequently lately (and I totally understand that with yoyr kids and job....) -- well anyway, I lost track of the Avon walk date. Did not remember it was coming up in September. I guess my leaky 50+ yr old mind can be blamed too.

Anyway this morning I donated online, Hope it is not too late. I took about half of the money that you guys had collected in 2010 that was "delayed en route". So please consider it a Pondie donation. (The rest will go to daffodil bulbs I think in honor of Rob's spring birthday.)
Oh wow Marge, that's pretty sweet of you!

Yeah I was watching the America's Cup races go beyond their end date because of weather delays. The Walk was delayed this year because of the Cup races. They've been going on most of the summer. It probably wasn't necessary since the Cup got WAY less attention than anticipated, at least until the last day. rofl

I was surprised the local news last night didn't mention the race this weekend, as I'm sure it'll impact traffic some!

Old 09-28-2013, 12:40 PM   #8691

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy otter View Post
Marge, I love how kind so many people in your neighborhood are. It was a pleasure meeting so many of your wonderful neighbors. Although i would have loved to pumpkin-bomb the fences of the not-so-nice ones...

(maybe this is the reason you didn't introduce me... lulz)
*snort*

Old 09-28-2013, 12:40 PM   #8692

Nice to see you catching up, Jane.

Old 09-28-2013, 04:15 PM   #8693
Stazon Splitcoast

Look, look, look!

Here is the felted artsy-fartsy scarf that I made today in class. Took me from 10am - 4:30pm with no breaks. Tired!!

Mine was earth tones. Susan took the class also and hers was beautiful peacock jewel tones.
Attached Thumbnails
scarf-004.jpg   scarf-005.jpg  
Old 09-28-2013, 06:16 PM   #8694

Wow Marge, that's really pretty!

Old 09-29-2013, 05:16 AM   #8695
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks Wrose! It was hard manual labor, for sure!!
Old 09-29-2013, 05:30 AM   #8696
Stazon Splitcoast

Anyone heard from V?
Old 09-29-2013, 08:51 AM   #8697
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Band Mom

Quote:
Good luck, PH!!!! Let us know how it goes! How's the weather??
The weather was pretty nice yesterday. The sun played peek-a-boo with the clouds most of the day, so it wasn't quite as warm as we expected it to be, only in the upper 60s. When DH and I were sitting at the top of the bleachers (better for getting the view for recording the performances) we could feel the breeze more than when we sat lower.

The first competition we went to, we were in class AAA and competed against 3 other bands. Let me quote something from earlier:
Quote:
There is one band from our county who usually performs very well and tonight was no exception. However, they weren't flawless. We'll compete against them in our first competition on Saturday. We'll also compete against another county band who - how can I put this nicely? - well, they get at least a B+ for effort. There are two other bands in our class in that competition but they're not from around here. One of them, we've seen in previous years, but that doesn't necessarily mean they'll do well this year.
The "B+ for effort" band got dropped from AAA to AA. So we competed against the "one band from our county who usually performs very well" and the "one of them, we've seen in previous years" and one other band we'd never seen before.

This particular competition likes to give lots of awards. They give every band a small trophy just for participating and give ratings based on the judges' scales; our rating was "excellent". We also took home the following trophies for Class AAA: 2nd place color guard, 2nd place drumline, 2nd place band, 1st place marching, and 1st place drum major. We actually beat the "one band from our county who usually performs very well" in each of those categories except band. Woo-hoo!

Our band had to leave the first competition before the awards presentation so they could make it to the second competition on time. So DH and I offered to pick up the judges' comments for our band. The people organizing the event gave us the trophies, too! We didn't expect that. It was a little surreal carrying the trophies back to the car (they ranged from 1 foot to 3 feet tall) but very cool.

Oh, and the band teacher from the band from our county who usually performs very well stopped us to give his congratulations and best wishes for the second competition. He said, "I thought you'd take us." Wow. Pretty high praise considering his band has outperformed ours numerous times over the last several years.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:31 AM   #8698
Band Mom

The second competition we went to does things differently than most other comps. They have a "preliminary" competition of all of the bands at the event, where each band competes against others in its class. For each class (A, AA, AAA, AAAA, and AAAAA) they give a trophy to the top scoring band in music, visual, and general effect, and then they give a trophy to each of the top three bands overall in each class. We competed in class AAA against a band from the Richmond area and a band from Northern VA (read: larger schools with more $$$$ to spend on fine arts) and placed 3rd in the class.

Then they take the scores for all of the bands, regardless of class, and let the top 8 scoring bands perform against each other in a "finals" competition. This way you get smaller bands competing against larger ones. We'd scored 8th place in the prelims, so we got to perform again! This is the first year we've made it to the finals, so that's a pretty cool accomplishment for us! We still finished up 8th overall, which was a little disappointing because DH and I thought our band did better than the one who finished 7th overall. (There was only 0.3 difference between their score and ours in the prelim comp, and 0.5 difference in the finals. So it *was* very close.) We received a plaque for making it into the finals.

The highlight of that competition was that a class AA band won the top honors. The one class AAAAA band has won it each of the previous 3 years this competition has existed. They are the only band that enters this competition that's large enough for a 5A rating. Every year, the people (parents and students) from this school give an attitude of "we're the biggest so that automatically makes us much more superior to everyone else" so it was pretty amazing to see them taken down by a much smaller band. We're talking a band of about 40 members outperforming a band of at least 150. Although DH and I didn't really care much for the AA band's Mayan show theme, they did perform it excellently. The AA band had also taken top honors at the same morning competition our band was in.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:38 AM   #8699
Band Mom

Quote:
Anyone heard from V?
She posted on Facebook that she covered 18 miles yesterday and plans to go 15 miles today.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:42 AM   #8700
Band Mom

Marge, I have to be honest and admit that the scarf is not my style. But I think it's way cool that you created it, and I can appreciate the effort and time that went into it. Based on the excitement in your post, it sounds like you really enjoyed making it.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:14 AM   #8701

Quote:
Anyone heard from V?
Yeah as PH said. Also I think she suffered a little dehydration right at the end of yesterday but took care of it and was fine. She posted looking forward to today's 15 miles.

Old 09-29-2013, 10:20 AM   #8702
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Marge, I have to be honest and admit that the scarf is not my style. But I think it's way cool that you created it, and I can appreciate the effort and time that went into it. Based on the excitement in your post, it sounds like you really enjoyed making it.
Ah that's OK PH. Everyone has their own personal style that they feel comfortable with. I'll concede it won't be an easy scarf to wear.

Both my neighbor and I like the wearable art. They sell for $125 at the art fairs around here. The class itself was $85. Now that we know how, it will just be the cost of materials.

I'm thinking the next one that I do will be shades og grey, white, black with red accents.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:31 AM   #8703

Wow that's interesting Marge, expensive!! But yeah besides yourself, they'd make great gifts! Well maybe not for PH...

hee hee

Just kidding. I have a brazillion scarves now from MIL. As y'all know.

Maybe could have left some for DD......

Old 09-29-2013, 10:32 AM   #8704

Actually DD is lucky I cleaned out that closet!! Made her choice to redo the insides a lot easier.

Old 09-29-2013, 11:43 AM   #8705
Stazon Splitcoast

Ran to the library and got "Gone Girl" for our October book. All I know is that it is a mystery.

Nov will be Sandcastle Girls.

Dec we skip.

Jan will be Girls of the Atomic City (non-fiction about women who were building the atomic bomb in WW2 but did not know what they were building).
Old 09-29-2013, 02:01 PM   #8706

Quote:
I guess I missed getting on yesterday.

Watched the NCIS premiere. Ziva was only present in texts.
I was thinking of you while I watched it.

Previews for this coming week looked very compelling.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:12 PM   #8707

Quote:
We'll all be sad to leave our great friends, but the heat and altitude ( migraines can be on a daily basis when the weather systems roll through) make it somewhere we don't want to stay. Wish we could pick up the house and our friends and move them all. Real life isn't like that though.
Yes. I can see how Tucson year round would be a tough climate. Heaven in March though.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:31 PM   #8708

Quote:
On Saturday I'm going with neighbor Susan to a felting class at this place: TLD Design Center & Gallery is Creative Art Center & Gallery in Westmont, IL (Illinois) a Chicago area Suburb. Tammy L Deck is a professional, working Fiber and Textile design artist and the owner of TLD Designs tlddesigns.com. We offer well over 150

Click on classes, then scroll about half way down to the beginner level "Tree Bark Scarf".

She really, really wanted to learn how to felt and I was interested too.
Marge that looks SO cool! How was the class?

I'm still working diligently on a small project that keeps expanding... something to do with thanking someone...
Old 09-29-2013, 02:32 PM   #8709

Quote:
OMFG we sold the house
Holy COW ERK!!!

That was quick!!!
Old 09-29-2013, 02:33 PM   #8710

Quote:
I know! And best of all, closing is 13th Nov or earlier to suit us! We wanted to leave 14th Nov.
Complete and total AWESOMESAUCE!!! Wow!!!

Congratulations Karen!!! That's incredible, wonderful news!!!
Old 09-29-2013, 02:34 PM   #8711

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmscoping View Post
Getting ready for homecoming - we do a mum exchange the day before. They will wear these things (his is a garter for his arm and hers will hang around her neck) all day long tomorrow.

Then as he is in band and she is on drill team - they will have to do the mini mums. I think they will let him wear his garter - but she will have to do the mini finger mum in the stands.

Their mums are two of the smaller sets of flower of their group of friends. DD's reaches the floor with the ribbons!!!

So Helen and ERK. Shall I bring the tradition across the pond?? lol!
That looks likes such a sweet tradition! That's fun!
Old 09-29-2013, 02:37 PM   #8712

Quote:
HUGE business.
you can buy the mums - but for the most part the kiddos have mum making parties and have fun with it. there are pictures on facebook where dd make her date's and then he made hers that weekend with a group of his guy friends. it's fun how the boys (or at least their moms) get into it.

ddd (dd's date) made hers by himself. he wanted it just perfect.

they've known each other since 5th grade - neither one fo them would ever talk - but their 5th grade teacher swore they would "hook up"... he went to one of the magnet schools for intermediate - she went to the other so they didn't really see each other for 3 years. until this fall when they had classes together...
Fun that they knew each other in 5th grade!
Old 09-29-2013, 02:39 PM   #8713

Quote:
Pondies don't impose.
Hoping you're planning to stop and not impose here, too!
Old 09-29-2013, 03:19 PM   #8714

Quote:
Ran to the library and got "Gone Girl" for our October book. All I know is that it is a mystery.

Nov will be Sandcastle Girls.

Dec we skip.

Jan will be Girls of the Atomic City (non-fiction about women who were building the atomic bomb in WW2 but did not know what they were building).
Interesting. I'll have to look that last one up. I've been waiting on the latest Jack Reacher and not starting anything new. I'm 31 in line at the library and they have 42 copies circulating.

You'll have to let us know how the others are.

Old 09-29-2013, 03:39 PM   #8715

Omigoat.

Zach Galifianakis Says Everything You Want to Say to Justin Bieber Right to His Face - Esther Zuckerman - The Atlantic Wire

Do not watch while drinking anything carbonated or very warm.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:40 PM   #8716

Quote:
Look, look, look!

Here is the felted artsy-fartsy scarf that I made today in class. Took me from 10am - 4:30pm with no breaks. Tired!!

Mine was earth tones. Susan took the class also and hers was beautiful peacock jewel tones.
Just gorgeous!!!
Old 09-29-2013, 03:43 PM   #8717

Quote:
Nice to see you catching up, Jane.
It was definitely another crazy week between work and getting ready for stamp camp Saturday. I'm glad to be catching up too!
Old 09-29-2013, 03:48 PM   #8718

Quote:
Wow that's interesting Marge, expensive!! But yeah besides yourself, they'd make great gifts! Well maybe not for PH...

hee hee

Just kidding. I have a brazillion scarves now from MIL. As y'all know.

Maybe could have left some for DD......
I've always loved scarves but don't wear them much any more. Maybe I should find more to do with them to dress up my work outfits now that I'm in big corporate office tower.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:48 PM   #8719
Stazon Splitcoast

She seems almost normal in this interview:
(Cheryl Strayed, author of Wild)

Cheryl Strayed Interview - YouTube
Old 09-29-2013, 04:34 PM   #8720

Quote:
Oh PH, also - High School. Yeah not my thing either. I had friends, I still have some of those friends, but I pretty much avoided all the drama by being quiet. I wasn't one of the popular kids and really didn't have those aspirations - didn't drink for quite a few years, and they'd show up to dances drunk (ugh); I was probably kind of nerdy then but nobody called it that. I never felt like I fit in that well.

It most definitely does not qualify anywhere near any of the best years of my life. If there were good things those years, it had nothing to do with the life of High School. I liked learning, I was great in math, so that was okay. Of course popular kids don't appreciate it when you're good in math; they don't care, right? lol

I was definitely a late bloomer. I don't have any hatred and wasn't mistreated. I was pretty much quietly ignored for the most part.
Another late bloomer here although I got the whole snide remark thing. Someone on a bus on a school trip once (not realizing I was sitting behind him) made a huge point of saying someone's party was so bad that Jane was there. That sort of thing. Academically it was amazing and I had incredible art classes as well, pottery and jewelry making. But the only people from high school I'd love to see again are several teachers.

For a long time I felt pretty suicidal--probably didn't help that the message I got from stepdad and Mom (although as Mom has said, she herself never actually said those things, she just never said a word when stepdad went off at length) was that I was a huge fat cow who no one would ever want in any way. Not to mention the unrelenting comparison to someone think, popular, graceful, dancer who of course was every good thing I wasn't.

I was pretty bitter about the whole thing for the first couple of decades after I left high school, although it helped a lot that I went on to college and was astounded that all the things that made me nerdy in high school seemed to be what people thought were interesting about me. As the years have gone by, I've definitely grown to appreciate that not being interested in what's popular or cool, and eventually loving what you love for the sheer joy you find in it and not caring either way what people think, makes for a very rich and joyful life. Because eventually on those back roads and roads not taken you find the fellow travelers also looking for what they love, and living with far less of that fear of shame and judgment. Now I see geek and dork as two of the most profound compliments I've ever had the honor to earn.

But it took a long, long time to hike past the loneliness and sense of never fitting in let alone feeling in any way wanted or worth much.