Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree553Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2013, 06:32 PM   #8601
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

You know, PH, GT plays the Hokies Thursday night!

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-23-2013, 07:03 PM   #8602
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Band Mom

Wrose, no, I didn't realize that game was this week! Which Tech has the home game?
Old 09-23-2013, 07:04 PM   #8603

It says "Hokies at Yellow Jackets" on my calendar.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:05 PM   #8604

I know DH will be home in time to watch!

Old 09-23-2013, 07:35 PM   #8605
Band Mom

Saturday the band performed at a marching band clinic. A clinic is different from a competition in that the bands get feedback from judges, but there are no awards given, and the bands are not divided into classes based on size.

Something got screwed up somewhere in the planning for it, and we ended up being the last band to perform. DH needed to be there to record it, and of course I always like going to the performances and taking still photos. We didn't want to sit through the whole.entire.thing though, especially since there was rain all over the state of Virginia that day. So we did some browsing around one of the malls near the school that was hosting the clinic, and ate at Red Robin (yummm), and then headed over to the school.

We got there during the judges' supper break. Our band was the only band in the bleachers - well, not even that, because most of the kids had gone inside because of the steady drizzle. Soon after we got there it started raining harder, so they decided to move everything indoors and have the last six performances in the gymnasium. That was kind of a bummer because those last bands didn't get to perform their drill, only their music. The color guards were able to do a modified version of their routines.

Our band did pretty well, I thought. One of the judges said he'd seen us perform in previous years, and we were much improved now. So yay!

We got the chance to see one of the bands we'll be competing against in October. They sounded OK musically, but their color guard was extremely unimpressive. We saw one band that was considerably larger than ours - one of their band moms said they had about 85 playing instruments, plus 10 guard and 2 drum majors. They were really, really good. You could tell their school had money to spend on the music department. We also saw one band that had only 18 playing instruments, plus the drum major and the color guard. They were so cute. You could tell they were trying to put their hearts into their performance, but it didn't seem to come easy to them. They performed in between the really large band and our band. During the breaks between their songs, you could hear our band practicing. Ooooops. That would be a major no-no during a competition!
Old 09-23-2013, 08:26 PM   #8606

Wow, PH. Lots of rain.

Our band, when DD was in it, had close to 100 plus a bunch of color guard every year, but the school had 3000 so I think it was a small band considering. And they didn't have a lot of money to spend on music, sadly. It can make such a different.

I'd love to see an educational system that valued the arts as much as the math.

Old 09-24-2013, 05:49 PM   #8607
Band Mom

Well, we got only 1/2" of rain here at home Saturday, but I guess some parts of the state got more than that. The worse issue with it is that it was an all-day event, not simply a quick downpour that moved on after a little while.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:08 PM   #8608
Band Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose View Post
Our band, when DD was in it, had close to 100 plus a bunch of color guard every year, but the school had 3000 so I think it was a small band considering. And they didn't have a lot of money to spend on music, sadly. It can make such a different.

I'd love to see an educational system that valued the arts as much as the math.
Oh, I completely agree with you on your last thought.

We have 45 marching band members playing instruments this year, plus the drum major and 8 in color guard. The 45 includes a few 8th graders from the middle school that feeds into our high school. The high school has about 800 students. Our marching band is a little smaller this year than last year. But as far as I know, concert band numbers haven't dropped. We have about 40 ninth graders taking band class, which is more than the teacher has ever had before.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:34 PM   #8609
Band Mom

Our county's high schools' bands had their annual Showcase tonight. There are two cities within our county and those bands were invited this year. Then the 7 bands got together and played at the end.

There is one band from our county who usually performs very well and tonight was no exception. However, they weren't flawless. We'll compete against them in our first competition on Saturday. We'll also compete against another county band who - how can I put this nicely? - well, they get at least a B+ for effort. There are two other bands in our class in that competition but they're not from around here. One of them, we've seen in previous years, but that doesn't necessarily mean they'll do well this year.

One of the other county bands is hosting the first competition on Saturday, so they won't be competing. They did all right but they seem to be dropping in number and not performing as well as in previous years. The other county band is pretty small (I think I counted 25ish members) so it's in a different class than we are.

As for the two city bands, we've competed against one of them before, but they must have dropped in number because they're in a different class now. The other band is actually competing this year for the first time since ODS started marching band. They're also in the smaller band class. They either have a lot of work to do, or they were putting on an act to make everyone think they were pretty bad, to throw off the competition vibe.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:28 AM   #8610
Stazon Splitcoast

So I have book club tonight.

Jane, you'll be happy to hear that I finished "Wild" (the Pacific Coast Trail book) last night. The one you talked to book club neighbor Mary with when we saw her out walking and we were sitting in the driveway with our wine. Just in time, LOL. Actually it was August's book but Aug got cancelled. I enjoyed it -- I think. But I really did not like the author as a person (her writing was good) in the sense of her lack of preparedness and what I thought were pretty dumb decisions and her loosey-goosey morals. So the whole time I was reading it I was thinking, I really don't like this lady so it is stopping me from a full thumbs up.

And I finished this month's book, "Salmon Fishing in the Yemen". That one gets a full thumbs up. One of the most innovative plots I've read for a while, a really unique story line. Whole story is told via a variety of work memos, emails, diary entries, interviews, etc. Very different style and I liked it. Boy I did not see the ending coming.
muddy otter and Englishrose like this post.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:38 AM   #8611

Love the book reviews, Marge.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:39 AM   #8612

I guess I missed getting on yesterday.

Watched the NCIS premiere. Ziva was only present in texts.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:59 PM   #8613
Stazon Splitcoast

Marge, on your recommendation I've just downloaded Salmon Fishing in the Yemen from the library.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:59 PM   #8614
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi
Old 09-25-2013, 02:00 PM   #8615
Stazon Splitcoast

We signed papers yesterday and the house goes on the market today. So please keep fingers crossed, good vibes for a quick sale. Otherwise the kids will drive me crackers trying to keep everything immaculate.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:02 PM   #8616
Stazon Splitcoast

The boys are 3 days into their 3 week autumn break. My walking friend and I didn't go Monday but we dragged all our kids along yesterday ( bikes and scooters at the park) then today they all took their scooters and helmets and we left them with their friends older brother in charge at the skate park. Then we came home, got breakfast, I showered then we went to the zoo. Our elephant mum is expecting again - due sometime between June and August next year. So we have dad, mum, 6 year old calf, 3 year old calf and auntie.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:06 PM   #8617
Stazon Splitcoast

The lemurs were hiding but the new grizzly bear exhibit has just opened. We got 2 rescued 18 month old cubs. They are amazing, the claws are incredible to see....... from behind the glass. They were rescued from a reservation in Montana. Here's a bit about them. I think the relocation was done for the right reasons but I think it will still be tough to go from being out in the wild to being in an enclosure, no matter nicely done. If the alternative was being put down though then i hope hope this works.

Two grizzly bears, male Ronan and female Finley, arrived in Tucson in July of 2013 from the Flathead Indian Reservation in Montana. The orphaned 18 month old bears had been engaging in problem behaviors in a residential area, including breaking into chicken coops and livestock feed storage areas. The bears had already been relocated once, so this time they were given a new, safe home at Reid Park Zoo. The bears will be on exhibit beginning Thursday, September 19th, 2013!
Old 09-25-2013, 02:07 PM   #8618
Stazon Splitcoast

And I crazily decided to start work on my quilt a couple of weeks ago....... so I need to finish that, too.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:09 PM   #8619
Stazon Splitcoast

My car lives in the garage now as most of the tools have gone. We still have some sorting to do in there and prep for one last yard sale towards the end of October. DHs work hours have been crazy ( cement pours at 2am where he had to go to make sure it was in accordance with the security guidelines for the building) and standard 4am starts. That has now finished thank heavens.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:21 PM   #8620
Stazon Splitcoast

Hey ERK, good to see you!

Wow, putting the house on the market really finalizes all your planning, eh?

Hope you enjoy the Salmon book.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:13 PM   #8621
Stazon Splitcoast

It really does, Marge. Kind of stressful around here right now. Listing should go on the MLS tonight so hope we get some viewings over the next few days.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:14 PM   #8622
Stazon Splitcoast

We'll all be sad to leave our great friends, but the heat and altitude ( migraines can be on a daily basis when the weather systems roll through) make it somewhere we don't want to stay. Wish we could pick up the house and our friends and move them all. Real life isn't like that though.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:15 PM   #8623
Stazon Splitcoast

It does mean that we travel and meet all our imaginary friends! That is so exciting.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:35 PM   #8624

Quote:
Originally Posted by Englishrose View Post
We signed papers yesterday and the house goes on the market today. So please keep fingers crossed, good vibes for a quick sale. Otherwise the kids will drive me crackers trying to keep everything immaculate.
Wow, best of luck, ERK!

Old 09-25-2013, 08:35 PM   #8625

Quote:
We'll all be sad to leave our great friends, but the heat and altitude ( migraines can be on a daily basis when the weather systems roll through) make it somewhere we don't want to stay. Wish we could pick up the house and our friends and move them all. Real life isn't like that though.
Yes, isn't that the truth. But you'll make new friends. I wouldn't want to live in that heat either, if I had any choice whatsoever!

Old 09-25-2013, 08:37 PM   #8626

I went to watch the America's Cup today and about 1:15 my internet and cable went down. I called after a bit and there was a problem in the area and it said it should be back by 8 p.m. I was shocked it was so long, I still have no idea what happened.

I did get on the couch to nap just before 8. DH had a meeting after work so got home around 8:40 and everything was back.

It was so quiet here all afternoon. I'd planned to watch old NCISs all day after the race. I was sorry the Kiwis lost. I'm not overly fond of Larry Ellison (Oracle).

Old 09-25-2013, 08:50 PM   #8627
Stazon Splitcoast

Sorry your viewing/internet plans for the day were scuppered. They should refund you for a day. Sir Ben Ainslie ( a Brit) and a couple of Aussies were on the Oracle crew, brought in as tactician, strategist and skipper when they were losing badly. So US money but no way a US crew!

Last edited by Englishrose; 09-25-2013 at 08:53 PM..
Old 09-25-2013, 09:04 PM   #8628

Quote:
Sorry your viewing/internet plans for the day were scuppered. They should refund you for a day. Sir Ben Ainslie ( a Brit) and a couple of Aussies were on the Oracle crew, brought in as tactician, strategist and skipper when they were losing badly. So US money but no way a US crew!
Yeah that kind of bugged me too. I heard the Kiwis would have changed the rules to support more of the name nation on each team. Also would have pushed for boats that were more affordable and not just limit the races to a few billionaires!

Oh well.

Englishrose likes this post.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:45 PM   #8629

It would be nice if each nation could support a crew of most of that nationality!

Or maybe change the naming? Call it the Oracle team not the USA team. Corporate teams. Nothing to do with USA except the funding!!

Old 09-26-2013, 04:25 AM   #8630
Stazon Splitcoast

On Saturday I'm going with neighbor Susan to a felting class at this place: TLD Design Center & Gallery is Creative Art Center & Gallery in Westmont, IL (Illinois) a Chicago area Suburb. Tammy L Deck is a professional, working Fiber and Textile design artist and the owner of TLD Designs tlddesigns.com. We offer well over 150

Click on classes, then scroll about half way down to the beginner level "Tree Bark Scarf".

She really, really wanted to learn how to felt and I was interested too.

Last edited by Illinois Marge; 09-26-2013 at 04:35 AM..
Old 09-26-2013, 10:59 AM   #8631

Sounds fun, Marge, but I couldn't find it scrolling, so clicked on calendar view and it's spinning and spinning.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:10 AM   #8632
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinois Marge View Post
On Saturday I'm going with neighbor Susan to a felting class at this place: TLD Design Center & Gallery is Creative Art Center & Gallery in Westmont, IL (Illinois) a Chicago area Suburb. Tammy L Deck is a professional, working Fiber and Textile design artist and the owner of TLD Designs tlddesigns.com. We offer well over 150

Click on classes, then scroll about half way down to the beginner level "Tree Bark Scarf".

She really, really wanted to learn how to felt and I was interested too.
That looks interesting, Marge. I look forward to seeing your finished results.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:28 AM   #8633

I found it! That does look interesting.

Old 09-26-2013, 03:38 PM   #8634
Band Mom

Hey Wrosey! Tech just scored!
Old 09-26-2013, 04:23 PM   #8635
Band Mom

Regarding tonight's football game, I thought this was pretty funny:
Why Virginia Tech is wearing these hideous 'Hokie Stone' helmets - SBNation.com

What's particularly amusing to me is that on our TV, the helmets have a blueish-grey tint to them...

... which makes the stone look an awful lot like JMU's bluestone buildings.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:20 PM   #8636
Stazon Splitcoast

OMFG we sold the house
Old 09-26-2013, 06:45 PM   #8637
Band Mom

Holy carp, ERK! Wow!

Well, you *were* wishing for a quick sale.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:45 PM   #8638
Band Mom

Good game, Wrose.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:52 PM   #8639
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PH in VA View Post
Holy carp, ERK! Wow!

Well, you *were* wishing for a quick sale.
I know! And best of all, closing is 13th Nov or earlier to suit us! We wanted to leave 14th Nov.
jmscoping and PH in VA like this post.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:05 PM   #8640
Her Royal Awesomeness of Shiner Bock PTA Pirate Land

Default Mum Exchange

Getting ready for homecoming - we do a mum exchange the day before. They will wear these things (his is a garter for his arm and hers will hang around her neck) all day long tomorrow.

Then as he is in band and she is on drill team - they will have to do the mini mums. I think they will let him wear his garter - but she will have to do the mini finger mum in the stands.

Their mums are two of the smaller sets of flower of their group of friends. DD's reaches the floor with the ribbons!!!

So Helen and ERK. Shall I bring the tradition across the pond?? lol!
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   2.jpg  

2013 Scrapping Goal 48 pages
To date 20 completed!

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein