Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree553Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2013, 06:11 PM   #8481
Directionally Challenged Parrothead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PH in VA View Post
One of my trips out to Salt Lake City, I was trying not to run up my credit card bill too much while LSS-hopping. When I'd go up to the store registers to pay for my purchases, I asked first thing if they accepted out-of-state checks. That always led to a conversation about where I was from, and so forth.

When the ladies in one store learned I was from Virginia, they cooed, "Oh, you have such a cute southern accent!"

Barely two hours after that, when the ladies in a different store learned where I was from, they remarked, "Really? You don't have an accent."

So I guess whether or not I have an accent depends on who you ask! LOL
I was once told by a cashier in the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC that I couldn't possibly be from around there with my accent. Um... right, exactly...

I can hear a slight accent when you talk. I wouldn't peg you as, for example, a native of Boston or Maine.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-14-2013, 06:13 PM   #8482
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

And Happy Birthday Amber! Looks like you're having family day fun, just being a mom, so enjoy it!

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
PH in VA likes this post.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:14 PM   #8483

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinois Marge View Post
Heading to the Naperville RiverWalk fine arts show tomorrow with neighbor "Mary-Susan". Her name is Susan but she'll always be Mary to Jane
Tell Mary I said hello, LOL!

(and don't forget the wine!)
Old 09-14-2013, 06:15 PM   #8484

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BO!!!
Old 09-14-2013, 06:22 PM   #8485

Quote:
Went to an estate sale afterwards, down the block. Bought a floor lamp for the LR. My NY sister always complains when she visits that its too dark to read when you sit on the sofa. And she is right. Problem is now solved
Oh fun! I need to get busy and hang up my Kane County treasure! I feel like the week's flown by between work, trying to get out and paddle to get ready for today's race, and catching up with laundry.

Sounds like between the earrings and the lamp you scored some great finds! I'm definitely going to feel a twinge now every time you talk about Kane County, doing something with Leona or Susan and the walking group! I feel very lucky that while Tony Bennett may have left his heart in San Francisco, I think small pieces of mine are tucked away in friends' homes around the country.

Which possibly sounds slightly gory, too. I promise I don't mean it in the fava beans and a nice chianti sense.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:20 PM   #8486
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Band Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose View Post
Band stuff Sat., PH?

A quiet day for me, as far as not seeing other people. Just putter around. I got out one fall thing this evening.
No, no band stuff until next weekend. We have a home game Friday night. Saturday the band will be going to a clinic - really not a competition, but there will be about 25 bands there throughout the day performing and then getting feedback from judges. We are the last band on the schedule which kinda sucks because DH will not want to spend most of the afternoon and evening there. I enjoy watching the other bands but he doesn't so much. But we need to be there because we're the band's "official" videographers. So I don't know yet how DH and I will work out our day.

Eta: the band from the high school DH and I graduated from will be at the clinic. I'd kinda like to see them. I don't know their performance time.

Last edited by PH in VA; 09-14-2013 at 07:24 PM..
Old 09-14-2013, 07:30 PM   #8487
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Band Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy otter View Post
I was once told by a cashier in the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC that I couldn't possibly be from around there with my accent. Um... right, exactly...

I can hear a slight accent when you talk. I wouldn't peg you as, for example, a native of Boston or Maine.
That isn't much of a compliment but I'll still take it!

Way to go on your canoe race!
Old 09-14-2013, 08:00 PM   #8488

Georgia Tech apparently creamed Duke. Gee a couple of weeks ago, I was getting scores from PH back east!!! I was news starved. lol

Old 09-14-2013, 08:00 PM   #8489

Or was that just last week??

Old 09-15-2013, 04:36 AM   #8490
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
I feel very lucky that while Tony Bennett may have left his heart in San Francisco, I think small pieces of mine are tucked away in friends' homes around the country.

Which possibly sounds slightly gory, too. I promise I don't mean it in the fava beans and a nice chianti sense.
I love the sentiment about leaving pieces of your heart in friends' homes.

But I had to google the fava beans and chianti reference. Uckkkk....never saw the Silence of the Lambs movie.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:37 AM   #8491
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
And Happy Birthday Amber! Looks like you're having family day fun, just being a mom, so enjoy it!
Happy Birthday Amber!!! I just wrote my card to you out last night, so sorry but it will arrive a bit late...
Old 09-15-2013, 04:39 AM   #8492
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PH in VA View Post
No, no band stuff until next weekend. We have a home game Friday night. Saturday the band will be going to a clinic - really not a competition, but there will be about 25 bands there throughout the day performing and then getting feedback from judges. We are the last band on the schedule which kinda sucks because DH will not want to spend most of the afternoon and evening there. I enjoy watching the other bands but he doesn't so much. But we need to be there because we're the band's "official" videographers. So I don't know yet how DH and I will work out our day.

Eta: the band from the high school DH and I graduated from will be at the clinic. I'd kinda like to see them. I don't know their performance time.
I think I'm with your DH on that. I wouldn't enjoy sitting all day and evening. But its obvious that you love the music and the kids. Will they expect you to video all the bands or just your own school?
Old 09-15-2013, 04:40 AM   #8493
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Yay for the floor lamp! And the earrings. I got a couple pairs of earrings in Milford, PA, when we visited; lots of small shops to wander through!
I googled Milford - wow it says one of the top small towns in America! I wasn't familiar with it.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:41 AM   #8494
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Hi Shadow! Hi Marge!

I'm sitting here in my robe after waking up from nap. We did the 10 mile race today and had the best finish I've had since the year I did the Canoe Marathon! We came in 3rd out of 4 mixed rec boats (canoes that aren't specifically built for racing) at I think 1:58. Helped that the river was up and we had at least a bit of a push from the current this time but I felt REALLY good to finish at that pace without specifically training. My friends Randy and Charlie are training for a 50-miler the first week of Oct and Charlie really wanted me to do the 20-mile race with Randy (I usually get a last-minute call to paddle with one or the other of them when they're not paddling together).

I told them both that I'd be out of town or have guests 3 of the 4 weeks of August and then go on vacation for 8 days, and couldn't commit to training for the 20. Randy and his wife were out of town the few weekends I was in town so we couldn't even paddle together to train. But Charlie lent me his solo canoe to get back up to speed on canoe form and that time's straight off my just staying in shape over the summer with no extra effort.

I will admit I'm glad I stood firm on just committing to the 10, because when we got home I took a 5 hour nap and I'm about to take my vitamin I because I can definitely feel that I pushed hard. But I'm ready for a lily-dip on local lake with the kayak gang tomorrow after that dose of ibuprofen and a bit more sleep tonight!

This was my first canoe race in masters class! WHOOHOOO!!!!
Yay for the canoe race finish, the masters class and generally, a big Yay for naps!
Old 09-15-2013, 04:42 AM   #8495
Stazon Splitcoast

OK, so it is raining here...and cold.

Sure hope we don't get what Colorado got. After the basement flooding in April I don't think I could take another round of that.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:50 AM   #8496

Quote:
OK, so it is raining here...and cold.

Sure hope we don't get what Colorado got. After the basement flooding in April I don't think I could take another round of that.
Oh NO Marge. I am thinking dry thoughts for you, Susan and all of your neighbors.

And for Mary too...
Old 09-15-2013, 04:58 AM   #8497

Quote:
Georgia Tech apparently creamed Duke. Gee a couple of weeks ago, I was getting scores from PH back east!!! I was news starved. lol
GO Georgia Tech!!!!

I have barely seen more than the first 10 min of Good Morning America all week.

I'm going to go run out and grab some groceries so I can make sammidges for the paddle this afternoon. Then I have to get the racks back on the boat. Debating whether to run the car through the car wash when I get gas or wait till Tues since we have small chance of a shower tomorrow plus I'll be driving down dusty road to the put in this afternoon. Hmmm. I think I just talked myself into waiting.

The rational and slightly achey parts of me are currently pulling a bit of a whiskey tango foxtrot over paddling this afternoon but I think I'm going anyway. It's supposed to be another glorious day--around 80 and low humidity. We don't get enough of those for me to turn down one with friends out on the water, no matter how much the house needs a good cleaning.

The race yesterday was GORGEOUS--in the upper 50s when we got there, about 70 at the start. The Lumber River is one of my favorites--beautiful blackwater river that runs through cypress groves and small swamps with all those gorgeous old trees and their knees rising from the water. Enough shade to stay cool, enough sun to feel bathed in that wonderful morning light and the oncoming warmth of a sunny day, out there in all of it pushing hard and just breathing and moving across the water, in the middle of all those cypresses, pines, spanish moss drooping from the trees and that sweet smell of water with a bit of mud and sand at the banks. Heaven.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:43 AM   #8498
Stazon Splitcoast

Making good progress on the wedding card that my boss commissioned. The colors in the invitation were plum and silver. Luckily I still have some pale plum and perfect plum and I'm using brushed silver too. Black embossing (invite had black accents). I'm about 3 hours in to it and should only need another 30-45 minutes.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:45 AM   #8499
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
The rational and slightly achey parts of me are currently pulling a bit of a whiskey tango foxtrot over paddling this afternoon but I think I'm going anyway. It's supposed to be another glorious day--around 80 and low humidity. We don't get enough of those for me to turn down one with friends out on the water, no matter how much the house needs a good cleaning.
I say go for it.

I came up for air from the craft room to make a veggie/pasta saute (Jane, basically the same one I made while you were here, but carrots instead of squash. ) We'll have it for a late lunch and Steve will be set for leftovers next week.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:46 AM   #8500
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Oh NO Marge. I am thinking dry thoughts for you, Susan and all of your neighbors.

And for Mary too...
Rained most of the morning but no basement water issues (cross fingers).
Englishrose likes this post.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:12 AM   #8501

I split the difference. Everyone's going out to spend the afternoon lounging on a sandbar. So I just finished vacuuming, about to load the boat and head out to join them.

I just couldn't stand coming home to fuzzy house and I know once the week starts, I'll be right back in the thick of work. This way at least I come home to a clean house, fresh sheets and towels, and plenty of clean clothes for work, clean throws for the dogs' favorite spots, fridge full of groceries and clean bathrooms. Whew! THAT feels good, now time to go play on the water again!
Old 09-15-2013, 10:18 AM   #8502
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
I split the difference. Everyone's going out to spend the afternoon lounging on a sandbar. So I just finished vacuuming, about to load the boat and head out to join them.

I just couldn't stand coming home to fuzzy house and I know once the week starts, I'll be right back in the thick of work. This way at least I come home to a clean house, fresh sheets and towels, and plenty of clean clothes for work, clean throws for the dogs' favorite spots, fridge full of groceries and clean bathrooms. Whew! THAT feels good, now time to go play on the water again!
This reminds me of the chapter in Little Women where Marmee lets the girls go off without doing there chores. And then they were mortified when a caller came and the parlor was dusty and their gloves were dirty.

Gosh I loved that book. Probably read it 4X in my teens.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:01 AM   #8503

Quote:
I love the sentiment about leaving pieces of your heart in friends' homes.

But I had to google the fava beans and chianti reference. Uckkkk....never saw the Silence of the Lambs movie.
I never saw it either.

But I remember back in the early 70s, after my trip to England, saying that I had left a bit of my heart there and would have to go back and visit.

Old 09-15-2013, 11:10 AM   #8504

Quote:
I googled Milford - wow it says one of the top small towns in America! I wasn't familiar with it.
Oh I didn't know that!

Grey Towers is also there, and we were there with my mom a number of years ago.

It's noteworthy for a "table" (called a finger bowl here) where you can sit around the edge and float things across to other people!
File:Grey Towers Finger Bowl.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-15-2013, 11:10 AM   #8505

They sure are having a tough time in Colorado.

Old 09-15-2013, 12:14 PM   #8506

It's beautimous here, gorgeous and barely over 70. Gonna do laundry when DH gets home. Putter til then!

Old 09-15-2013, 03:36 PM   #8507

DiNozzo goes to Arizona. Love this one.

Old 09-15-2013, 03:55 PM   #8508
neglecting the kids and housework

sup peeps?
Old 09-15-2013, 04:02 PM   #8509

Not much up here peeps!

Old 09-15-2013, 04:04 PM   #8510

AIn't no way in hell I'm reading back. What have I been missing?
Old 09-15-2013, 04:06 PM   #8511

Oh and so here....
uh Zach is in third grade and loving every moment of it. he has a teacher that really pushes and rewards good behavior and trying/doing your best. Jacob is a fantastic kindergartener now, learning to read enjoying being in a class.

Work is still fiun and HAWT! Just had a company picnic friday.

We're signing a lease on a house on Tuesday. SUper nice upgrade from this dump lol
Old 09-15-2013, 04:59 PM   #8512

First time I get on in MONTHS and you people are busy?
Not allowed
Old 09-15-2013, 05:06 PM   #8513

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewsplendidstamper View Post
Oh and so here....
uh Zach is in third grade and loving every moment of it. he has a teacher that really pushes and rewards good behavior and trying/doing your best. Jacob is a fantastic kindergartener now, learning to read enjoying being in a class.

Work is still fiun and HAWT! Just had a company picnic friday.

We're signing a lease on a house on Tuesday. SUper nice upgrade from this dump lol
V!!!!

SOOOOO good to see you here!!!! I've missed your voice!!!

Actually it's been pretty quiet. Wrose is home from her very long and wonderful and busy trip East. Marge and I had big fun on LSD and in other parts of Chicago, Door County WI and the upper peninsula of MI. PH's DS's are doing musical things. ERK and her DH have been working on Harvey. I think you're now mostly caught up. Everyone else, feel free to fill in what I missed.

I'm going to bed in a minute--finished 10 mile canoe race yesterday--best split time on the miles since the canoe marathon. Did a bit of lily dipping this afternoon in the kayak after long-delayed house cleaning frenzy. Then Mexican with the paddling peeps. Weather's gorgeous here but lots of worries for the folks in Colorado.

Can't WAIT to hear about the new habitual abode. It sounds as though you've found a great recipe for lemonade. (((HUGS))) V.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:10 PM   #8514

Harvey the RV?
oy lol

I knew all about everything you posted. I may be more in the loop than I gave mysefl credit for.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:16 PM   #8515

Quote:
This reminds me of the chapter in Little Women where Marmee lets the girls go off without doing there chores. And then they were mortified when a caller came and the parlor was dusty and their gloves were dirty.

Gosh I loved that book. Probably read it 4X in my teens.
I loved that book too! Little Women and Anne of Green Gables... then Emerson, Thoreau and Whitman with a good dose of JRR Tolkein and some Narnia thrown in. No wonder I feel stuck in the 19th century.

I thought Molly, Allie bean and Sonny showed a tragic lack of restraint in their continuing to shed the week I was off on vacation...
Old 09-15-2013, 05:19 PM   #8516

Quote:
Harvey the RV?
oy lol

I knew all about everything you posted. I may be more in the loop than I gave mysefl credit for.
Yup that Harvey!

I had to laugh--after dinner I was over at Ted's helping him and Ruthann unload their somewhat heavy kayaks and Ruthann said how nice it was to catch up after I'd been gone so much (went to VA and GA, had visitors, then flew off to the midwest through August/Sept, so I really haven't been around much to paddle with the gang). I told her, yup, I've been spending lots of time with my Imaginary Friends. We both cracked up--it's sort of fun that the IRL friends know who you all are and think it's hilarious that my Imaginary Friends are actually real people--even if I seem to have a habit of meeting them for the first time when they pick me up at the airport for a visit!
Old 09-15-2013, 05:23 PM   #8517

WE'd better see you when you get out here next year.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:23 PM   #8518

Quote:
First time I get on in MONTHS and you people are busy?
Not allowed
Glad to hear that Zach and Jacob are doing so well! I've LOVED all the pics you put up--I've been keeping up too.

OK really off to visit the ZZZZs now. I'm NOT falling asleep on the sofa for the 3rd time in one week.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:16 PM   #8519
Stazon Splitcoast

OMG!!! PH, I am so glad that you asked how Buffalo Mary and French Friend were. I sent them both an email, here's what I got back:

Your email is timely!***I am in Chicago this
week.* I started the new job in August and commute
weekly to/from Tulsa and Chicago. I work near Midway.*
I usually stay in a Hilton downtown but this week I'm
staying at Countryside not too far from Oakbrook.* Any
chance we could meet Tuesday or Wednesday evening?*

Christianne, are you in Chicago, Hawaii or France?* I
am likely moving to France in Feb or March to either Fleury
or Aix en Provence.***We can get together!!!
My new job is Europe based!!!

So she is moving to France (one more person to visit!!! And dinner with her this week!!!
Old 09-15-2013, 06:18 PM   #8520
Stazon Splitcoast

V!!! Great to see you! Had a fantastic road trip with Jane. Would do it again with my imaginary friend in a heartbeat
muddy otter and sewsplendidstamper like this post.