Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree553Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2013, 03:51 AM   #7761
Stazon Splitcoast

Later this morning I'm going walking at Fullersburg Woods with Leona and her daughter.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #7762
Stazon Splitcoast

Hot and muggy out. We walked about 3 miles at the Woods. Our reward was a 49 cent McDonald's ice cream cone
Old 07-06-2013, 11:05 AM   #7763
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Those ice cream cones are great for people watching their weight, they're way (weigh?) less points than most ice cream cones you can get!!!

Sorry about the muggy. It's cool here this morning. My sister said it was awful in PA yesterday. And somebody else near Boston was miserable with 100 yesterday.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 07-06-2013, 11:06 AM   #7764

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinois Marge View Post
Have a 7:30am haircut appointment. This place starts appointments at 5am -- wow, that is early even for me.
Wow. That's awesome that they try to serve clients that way. I suppose maybe commuters? But yeah, I'm the one always looking for the 11 or 11:30 appointment. lol

Old 07-06-2013, 12:05 PM   #7765

Got the news on? SFO is shut down because of a crash. A plane from South Korea, it appears to have hit short of the runway, just barely. There's debris all over the rocks that are at the end of the runway, leading down to the Bay waters.

They have survivors. Chutes were deployed. No idea of numbers or injuries or if there are fatalities.

There was a fire too. That's out now.

Old 07-06-2013, 03:39 PM   #7766
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose View Post
Wow. That's awesome that they try to serve clients that way. I suppose maybe commuters? But yeah, I'm the one always looking for the 11 or 11:30 appointment. lol
Yes, she says a lot of people come in before catching the train for work. But, they do it on Saturdays too.

And they give you free coffee or cappuccino, in porcelain cups (not styrofoam). Nice touch
Old 07-06-2013, 03:40 PM   #7767
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Got the news on? SFO is shut down because of a crash. A plane from South Korea, it appears to have hit short of the runway, just barely. There's debris all over the rocks that are at the end of the runway, leading down to the Bay waters.

They have survivors. Chutes were deployed. No idea of numbers or injuries or if there are fatalities.

There was a fire too. That's out now.
Saw it. Imagine we'll learn more on the late news.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:00 PM   #7768
Stazon Splitcoast

New recipe for the week was chicken enchiladas. Steve ran out of ideas so I found it on the SCS food thread. Easy but needed more spice. Overall, a repeat but I would modify it a bit.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:36 PM   #7769
Directionally Challenged Parrothead

Yummmm, Marge!

In and dogs fed. Very weird paddle today--all our lakes are above flood stage from all the rain. We had 30% chance of scattered showers with thunderstorms later in the day, so 5 of us put in mid-morning, figuring we'd get out and back and beat the storms. Really low, dark clouds started rolling in, very distant rumbles of thunder 2 hours after we put in, way sooner than we expected, so we booked it back to the put-in and took out in absolutely pouring rain.

A friend of one of the paddlers with a house on the lake invited us to come by, so we drove over to visit for a bit. By the time we got there (we'd paddled up and talked to them on the way out--their yard was flooded, though their house is up on a hill above the water), there was literally not. a. cloud. in. the. sky. Hung out in the shade on their patio for a couple of hours, buckets of rain again. Got home and got the boat unloaded and went out with dogs--just beat another pounding rain back.

Really strange to see all our favorite beaches on the lake under water.

And the weather is just getting weirder and weirder.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:13 PM   #7770

We had the local news on all afternoon. Watched info come in, first they couldn't account for 60 people, they'd been through the plane, no bodies. Finally there was only one missing, and the last press conference (shortly ago), there were no persons unaccounted for. Two fatalities, exterior to the aircraft, we had seen what seemed to be two body shapes under tarps on the tarmac. We're guessing stewardesses because they are female and apparently were lost when the tail broke off. Who else sits in the way back for landing?

Amazingly 123 people with no injuries. The COO of FB was apparently originally going to be on that flight but had decided to fly United with family so they could use frequent flyer miles. Her flight got in about 20 mins. before the crash. A former co-worker of hers from Google, who's now an exec. at Samsung, was on the flight that crashed, he was okay, tweeted about it right after.

I really thought it would be worse. Fire started outside after it stopped, an engine, and people were already going down the chutes, and the fire spread but foam was there and now the plane is a hulk but really everyone was almost out before it got bad.

All those drills finally paid off for SFO.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:59 AM   #7771
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Band Mom

That's a shame about the plane crash, but I'm glad so many of the people on board survived.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:01 AM   #7772
Band Mom

Pretty quiet weekend here. DH and I did some work outside yesterday. I cleaned up the flower borders and did a little weeding in the veggie garden. DH tilled the garden and mowed the yard.

The snaps and wax beans will be ready to pick this week. We just need to find pint-size baggies so I can freeze what we can't eat right away. A lot of stores around here don't seem to carry that size.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:11 AM   #7773

Quote:
Yes, she says a lot of people come in before catching the train for work. But, they do it on Saturdays too.

And they give you free coffee or cappuccino, in porcelain cups (not styrofoam). Nice touch
<--wants a cappucino.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:13 AM   #7774

Quote:
Originally Posted by PH in VA View Post
Pretty quiet weekend here. DH and I did some work outside yesterday. I cleaned up the flower borders and did a little weeding in the veggie garden. DH tilled the garden and mowed the yard.

The snaps and wax beans will be ready to pick this week. We just need to find pint-size baggies so I can freeze what we can't eat right away. A lot of stores around here don't seem to carry that size.
I'm still amazed by friends who grow things you can eat.

Actually I'm still amazed that things I planted in the earth have gotten bigger and now regularly bloomed. I do grow basil and a few herbs every year... one day I'll progress to tomatoes and cucumbers.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:15 AM   #7775

I have friends coming by for dinner tonight. Still haven't decided how to cook them.
Stampin Wrose likes this post.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:20 AM   #7776
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy otter View Post
I have friends coming by for dinner tonight. Still haven't decided how to cook them.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:24 AM   #7777
Stazon Splitcoast

So about a month or more ago I did a custom wedding card for a lady at work, for her niece's wedding. (Need to get it posted in my gallery).

She loved it and showed it around. So a friend of hers has now asked for 3 custom baby shower cards -- one with an animal theme, one with a girly-girl feel, and one "huggies and chuggies" (beer) for a man shower. People bring diapers and drink beer. First I heard of the latter. She gave me the invitations (all very cute) for inspiration.

So I have procrastinated for a week. Finally got my butt downstairs last night and finished the animal one. Have started on the huggies and chuggies but need to cut, assemble. And need to come up with an idea for the girly-girl one.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:15 AM   #7778

Quote:
So about a month or more ago I did a custom wedding card for a lady at work, for her niece's wedding. (Need to get it posted in my gallery).

She loved it and showed it around. So a friend of hers has now asked for 3 custom baby shower cards -- one with an animal theme, one with a girly-girl feel, and one "huggies and chuggies" (beer) for a man shower. People bring diapers and drink beer. First I heard of the latter. She gave me the invitations (all very cute) for inspiration.

So I have procrastinated for a week. Finally got my butt downstairs last night and finished the animal one. Have started on the huggies and chuggies but need to cut, assemble. And need to come up with an idea for the girly-girl one.
I'm probably the worst person to ask for girly-girl ideas. For me, keeping up with fashion involves buying a fuzzy from this season's LLBean catalog.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:44 AM   #7779
Stazon Splitcoast

OK -- spent half my day downstairs, but I finished all three baby shower cards that were commissioned. In order: an animal themed one, a huggies & chuggies man-shower, and a girly-girl one. All done to echo the theme of the invitation.

All three got custom envelopes out of coordnating patterned paper. The third one got a custom envelo-box because the flower was so big.
Hope she likes them.
Attached Thumbnails
baby-cards-003.jpg   baby-cards-004.jpg   baby-cards-002.jpg  
Old 07-07-2013, 12:49 PM   #7780
Stazon Splitcoast

Well, that last photo isn't too clear. It doesn't show the embossing detail. I'll get a better one before I post it in the gallery.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:21 PM   #7781

The cards are beautiful, Marge. Just gorgeous.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:28 PM   #7782

So much info on the crash since yesterday. NTSB even had a most excellent briefing, earlier the hospital(s).

The two dead were young (16 year old) Chinese National girls travelling with a group, to LA. Students. Most serious injuries at the back, which makes sense. "Road rash" type of injuries really bad on some - so it wasn't just the two dead who were expelled onto the runway. Head injuries and spinal - back end of plane was somewhat compacted from the impacts.

CNN got hold of exclusive video of the crash from a distance. If you haven't seen it already, NTSB: Pilots asked to do a 'go-around' 1.5 seconds before impact - CNN.com It's very impressive.

NTSB says throttles were idle (DH is trying to figure out if that's normal on this plane, he thought it was not normal for most), and they got a stall warning 4 seconds before impact, and 1.5 seconds before impact, the pilot tried to go around - which explains the nose trying to lift up, which caused the tail to hit the embankment (or so it looks), and then the plane bounced up and then spun... well it's really amazing that 123 people just walked away thinking it wasn't that bad.

DH choked up telling me about the hospital briefing and how they praised the triage efforts, said they did a great job and saved some of those lives.

The NTSB lady was excellent, she repeated questions at the end - don't you hate it when they take questions and you can't hear the question and the idiot up front answers with one word? You're left clueless. This woman had info, she was clear, she emphasized they were giving out only facts, no conclusions, she had control, she was great.

They have 3 runways open now, of the four. So one long one is open now. Still massive delays of flights (up to 9 hours last I heard). Last night they said restaurants and bars at the airport would be open all night to accommodate everyone. Nice.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:33 PM   #7783

The video is three minutes long because they replay it and then zoom in and enhance it. Just incredible.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:19 PM   #7784
Band Mom

Marge, your tomato plant looks quite healthy.

And I couldn't help but notice how the flowerpot coordinates with the fence.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:28 PM   #7785
Band Mom

We did end up going to the fireworks Thursday night. It stopped raining as we were leaving the house, and the closer we got into town, the drier the pavement got. We had folding chairs with us and put a blanket down first, so we didn't have to sit right on the grass.

There was a group of older, rather stereotypical Southern Ladies sitting about 15 or 20 feet behind us. They cracked me up several times. During the fireworks display they were drawling so many "oooooh"s and "ahhhhh"s, and so loudly, that it almost seemed that they were, well, enjoying something like that Cake Wreck Wrose shared. LOL One of them was wearing a large straw hat, which was funny because it wasn't like she was going to get sunburned at 10:00 p.m. She had enough hair sticking out from underneath it to show that she wasn't covering up baldness (like as a result of chemotherapy).

But it was a nice fireworks show.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:07 PM   #7786
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
I have 8 tomatoes now on my two experiment plants. Five tiny green ones on the upside down hanging plant, and three tiny green ones on the 5 foot monster in the pot.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:10 PM   #7787
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Marge, your tomato plant looks quite healthy.

And I couldn't help but notice how the flowerpot coordinates with the fence.
Bwa ha ha ha....I had not noticed that!
Old 07-07-2013, 04:10 PM   #7788
neglecting the kids and housework

Quote:
I've also heard Pinnacles is incredible. It's a bit south of here. Apparently half the park is moving one direction.....

Pinnacles National Monument, located near the San Andreas Fault along the boundary of the Pacific Plate and the North American Plate, is an excellent example of tectonic plate movement. The Pinnacles Rocks are believed to be part of the Neenach Volcano that occurred 23 million years ago near present-day Lancaster, California, some 195 miles (314 km) southeast. The giant San Andreas Fault split the volcano and the Pacific Plate crept north, carrying the Pinnacles. The work of water and wind on these erodible volcanic rocks has formed the unusual rock structures seen today.
I'd totally invite myself along if you did this trip
Old 07-07-2013, 04:10 PM   #7789
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
During the fireworks display they were drawling so many "oooooh"s and "ahhhhh"s, and so loudly, that it almost seemed that they were, well, enjoying something like that Cake Wreck Wrose shared.
*snort*
Old 07-07-2013, 04:50 PM   #7790

hi
Old 07-07-2013, 05:01 PM   #7791

So I super duper quickly scanned the last, ohhhh, five pages. Been trying to keep up. Been like super stupid busy. Oh and it's been hellishly hot here. Was thrilled that it was only high 80s low 90s yesterday and today lol

Lots of fun stuff to report, but it's more fun when someone is here
Old 07-07-2013, 05:02 PM   #7792
Band Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewsplendidstamper View Post
hi
intruder alert!
Old 07-07-2013, 05:06 PM   #7793

where?!?!
Old 07-07-2013, 05:40 PM   #7794
Her Royal Awesomeness of Shiner Bock PTA Pirate Land

BF went to dinner with us and PASSED. he's definitely a keeper....

2013 Scrapping Goal 48 pages
To date 20 completed!

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Old 07-07-2013, 05:43 PM   #7795
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmscoping View Post
BF went to dinner with us and PASSED. he's definitely a keeper....
Passed gas?
Passed on dessert?
Passed out?
Old 07-07-2013, 06:12 PM   #7796

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewsplendidstamper View Post
So I super duper quickly scanned the last, ohhhh, five pages. Been trying to keep up. Been like super stupid busy. Oh and it's been hellishly hot here. Was thrilled that it was only high 80s low 90s yesterday and today lol

Lots of fun stuff to report, but it's more fun when someone is here
Nice to see you! It barely got to 80 here, maybe 79, and breezy. Normal. Nice normal summer afternoon. Overnight I had to close my window, it was too cold. Low 50s. I love it.

It's so crazy, such extreme heat, and so much rain, in so many different places.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:13 PM   #7797

Quote:
Passed gas?
Passed on dessert?
Passed out?
Passed the test of meeting "extended family."

Old 07-07-2013, 06:14 PM   #7798

Marge, too funny about the tomato pot and the fence.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:14 PM   #7799

Dinner and popsicles done. One kid in the bath momentarily.
How've you all been?
Old 07-07-2013, 06:15 PM   #7800

Anyone around to chat? I see Wrose here.