Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree553Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2013, 05:00 AM   #7441
Stazon Splitcoast

Going to be hot....almost 90 and muggy. Ugh
Old 06-23-2013, 05:03 AM   #7442
Stazon Splitcoast

Yesterday after Peking Duck excursion (we went on Lake Shore Drive, Jane......) went to Leona's sister's house to see her flower garden (very pretty) and then to a little clay/pottery art show where a grade school friend of her son Tim was exhibiting her wares. Just a young lady starting out....she had potential with some interesting glazing approaches. I didn't get anything though (they weren't that good). Leona did as show of support.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:08 AM   #7443
Directionally Challenged Parrothead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinois Marge View Post
Not a concern here. Shadow's barking would scare them to death. However if they actually got in, his tail wagging might knock them off balance as it went swoosh in a 2 foot arc....
We always used to say that about the golden retriever we grew up with, but one day my brother was walking her and a gang of older kids started hassling him. This absolutely gentle, sweet dog who loved everyone bared her teeth, growled and snapped at them and they got lost.

Dogs know... they're just amazing.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 06-23-2013, 05:09 AM   #7444

Quote:
Yesterday after Peking Duck excursion (we went on Lake Shore Drive, Jane......) went to Leona's sister's house to see her flower garden (very pretty) and then to a little clay/pottery art show where a grade school friend of her son Tim was exhibiting her wares. Just a young lady starting out....she had potential with some interesting glazing approaches. I didn't get anything though (they weren't that good). Leona did as show of support.
Lake Shore Drive!!!

It was nice of Leona to support her. Sounds like a fun day!
Old 06-23-2013, 05:12 AM   #7445
Stazon Splitcoast

We also brought back a Chinese soy sauce chicken - BBQ'ed for crispy skin. They had them hanging whole in window of restaurant. I have seen those a thousand times, never brave enough to buy. But Leona's sister wanted her to bring a whole duck and BBQ pork back, so I got brave. They chop the chicken up with a huge cleaver and package it for you. We are having it for dinner tonight. They gave me the head and neck and butt and feet, etc too -- I said no thank you. Then Leona whispered to me to take them so I did. She said she wanted them for soup -- so she now has a plastic bag of my chicken parts. She said those parts are very gelatinous and no fat, the broth made from them is good for old people joints and menopausal women. Who knew

Jane, while good, the suburban restaurant nearby (Lu's) with the out-of-this-world fried rice was in my opinion better food. Also a Leona favorite. But they do not have old men with cleavers to chop up whole chickens hanging in the window to take home, and of course no LSD.

We were north of the city -- not Chinatown. A section of Chicago with a lot of Vietnamese and Jamaican immigrants.

Afterwards we went to Asian grocery store - she wanted a brand of soy sauce made of seaweed and whole ginger (she steeps it in hot water and drinks it for her joints daily). Found Cafe du Monde coffee - New Orleans style coffee with chickory. I assume they stocked it because of the Caribbean population? Anyway only $4.50 so I got it, just brewed a pot, warmed milk and am now drinking cafe au lait. Just need a beignet, LOL
Old 06-23-2013, 05:15 AM   #7446
Stazon Splitcoast

Chinatown is south of city and easier to get to. But no LSD on the way to Chinatown either.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:16 AM   #7447
Stazon Splitcoast

I figure we'll go downtown one day, maybe do either the double decker bus tour of architecture or the boat (river/lake) tour of architecture and then we can see LSD that way.

Chicago has amazing architecture and was very influential in the birth of the skyscraper.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:20 AM   #7448
Stazon Splitcoast

I think maybe we should do the double decker bus tour. You can hop on and off anywhere along the very long route (like at Millenium Park with beautiful bean statue) or at Sear's tower with the glass protrusions you can stand in a brazillion feet up and look down at the city and feel like there is nothing under your feet.....or at Water Tower (what was left standing after the Chicago fire that the dang cow started....

And you learn more too. Great way to see a lot of the city in one day.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:21 AM   #7449
Stazon Splitcoast

Off to pay some bills.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:47 AM   #7450

Marge!!!! I'm SOOOO excited!!! I've never seen Chicago other than from the air, either flying back from Seattle or changing planes at O'Hare to fly to Tucson or home from Anchorage. From all the pictures I've seen I can't wait to see it IRL!

Can't WAIT to meet in person, meet Steve and Leona, and meet your part of the world! And Door County, speaking of which MUST find that dang Subaru Drive magazine article!
Old 06-23-2013, 06:49 AM   #7451

Quote:
Going to be hot....almost 90 and muggy. Ugh
Going up here, too. Muggy and horrible out yesterday. I was ultimately glad I went to hear the music late yesterday and drove. I don't do well being miserably hot for 8 or 10 hours at a time. I'll get a paddle in after dog training but other than that will be a mostly indoors day--cleaning then off to early dinner with my friend Cynthia up on her end of town.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:33 AM   #7452
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Quote:
I think maybe we should do the double decker bus tour. You can hop on and off anywhere along the very long route (like at Millenium Park with beautiful bean statue) or at Sear's tower with the glass protrusions you can stand in a brazillion feet up and look down at the city and feel like there is nothing under your feet.....or at Water Tower (what was left standing after the Chicago fire that the dang cow started....

And you learn more too. Great way to see a lot of the city in one day.
Are they still trying to blame that darn cow? It wasn't a cow, you know. A reporter made it up. lol Poor cow.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
Old 06-23-2013, 11:34 AM   #7453

Quote:
Not a concern here. Shadow's barking would scare them to death. However if they actually got in, his tail wagging might knock them off balance as it went swoosh in a 2 foot arc....
Yes it was quite handy when Phantom was here, and a knock at the door - and when I did open it, I had this big black dog trying to get at whoever was at the door. They didn't know he probably would just lick them to death.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:35 AM   #7454

So Marge, why are you looking for LSD?

Is that code for Lake Shore Drive?

Old 06-23-2013, 11:36 AM   #7455

You know, Marge, the NSA and CIA now have us pegged as drug dealers. ROFL

Old 06-23-2013, 11:38 AM   #7456

Was reading today about these mug shot websites. They just take all police photos and put them up.

Arrested as a youth for being an idiot in your yard, and it was dismissed? If they took your picture, it's there. And if you want it gone, you'll have to pay hundreds.

Apparently you can't get rid of your past. Some states are trying to fix it, like you have to take it down free if the person can prove it was dismissed or expunged or not guilty or whatever. But it's pretty bad.

I haven't been a saint, but I've never been arrested or had my pic taken so I guess I'm good.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:38 AM   #7457

It sounds like Leona has done some good research on what helps her. Still, I'm not sure I could do that - take the chicken parts, etc. More power to her.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:39 AM   #7458

The Colorado fires are like 100 square miles now.

Old 06-23-2013, 01:17 PM   #7459

Ever hear of Triple Divide Peak? DH hadn't either. It was hard to find on google maps because the picture that came up looked like rolling hills. I had been looking for it a bit northwest of that spot where all the big mountains are with names that include heaven and sky. But no, Triple Divide Peak is a kind point where three walls intersect. It's in Montana in Glacier National Park. I found a photo that does it justice. And to be fair, when I completely zoomed in on the google map, I could see it. (Once I knew what I was looking for.) (I won't bother linking the google map because that doesn't always work well.) But I hope this pic works: Re: "A map of the principal hydrological divides of North America", submitted earlier by wainstead. Here's a recent oblique aerial of one of the key features on that map, Triple Divide Peak, MT. - Imgur

It's one of few unique spots on earth where rain falling on one side of it ends up in the Arctic Ocean, rain falling on another side finds its way to the Atlantic and on the other side, yep, the Pacific.

As Wiki put it: one of the few places on the Earth whose waters feed three oceans.

Old 06-23-2013, 01:19 PM   #7460

So how did I come upon this place? I was looking at the Colorado wildfire maps. I wanted to find Wolf Creek ski area, and finally did. Noticed how close it was to the Continental Divide Trail. Was trying to grasp size of fire in square miles.... Anyway, I wandered, looked up the Cont. Div. Trail and saw this point on one map called Triple Divide Peak and was like, what the heck is that?

Old 06-23-2013, 03:10 PM   #7461

Friend had this up on FB this morning. Great article.

Decline and fall: how American society unravelled | World news | The Guardian
Old 06-23-2013, 03:12 PM   #7462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose View Post
So how did I come upon this place? I was looking at the Colorado wildfire maps. I wanted to find Wolf Creek ski area, and finally did. Noticed how close it was to the Continental Divide Trail. Was trying to grasp size of fire in square miles.... Anyway, I wandered, looked up the Cont. Div. Trail and saw this point on one map called Triple Divide Peak and was like, what the heck is that?
Holy cow Wrose. That's such an amazing small corner of the world. That's pretty awesome.

I love the places we wind up sometimes when we just get out and amble, not just going on walks but mentally as well. Reminds me of that line from the Hobbit that not all who wander are lost.

Although I guess some do have wanderlust, if they haven't lost it...
Old 06-23-2013, 04:29 PM   #7463
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Ever hear of Triple Divide Peak? DH hadn't either. It was hard to find on google maps because the picture that came up looked like rolling hills. I had been looking for it a bit northwest of that spot where all the big mountains are with names that include heaven and sky. But no, Triple Divide Peak is a kind point where three walls intersect. It's in Montana in Glacier National Park. I found a photo that does it justice. And to be fair, when I completely zoomed in on the google map, I could see it. (Once I knew what I was looking for.) (I won't bother linking the google map because that doesn't always work well.) But I hope this pic works: Re: "A map of the principal hydrological divides of North America", submitted earlier by wainstead. Here's a recent oblique aerial of one of the key features on that map, Triple Divide Peak, MT. - Imgur

It's one of few unique spots on earth where rain falling on one side of it ends up in the Arctic Ocean, rain falling on another side finds its way to the Atlantic and on the other side, yep, the Pacific.

As Wiki put it: one of the few places on the Earth whose waters feed three oceans.
We'll be at Glacier next year. I'll take a picture for you.
muddy otter likes this post.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:41 PM   #7464
neglecting the kids and housework

Zoo was fun. It was a nice slow start to the morning then we headed out around noon. It was cool and a little drizzly. MO the kids and seven rowdy otters say hi.

THen we headed home and I cleaned kitchen, cut Jacobs hair and DH grabbed McDs for dinner because wow it had gotten to be after 6. Kids still have regular bedtime because they have to be up to get to the day cares. That will all change next week tho. New schedule next week for everyone since J will be in care in town! YAY!
muddy otter likes this post.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:42 PM   #7465

ERK, I will look forward to the picture!

V, nice day! I remember those otters!

Maybe next year we can all get to the zoo. We'll have to see if we can get that in for our day together.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:43 PM   #7466

This evening I started to organize the cards I need to send through Sept. So yes if you have a birthday coming up, I may have already picked out the card, signed it and addressed and stamped the envelope. lol I had a bunch!!! I have to make a few, for kids and males, I don't have much for those groups on hand. But I know I'll be gone at some point for a couple weeks, not sure when, but it would be real nice just to grab the pile and take it with me.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:24 AM   #7467
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
This evening I started to organize the cards I need to send through Sept. So yes if you have a birthday coming up, I may have already picked out the card, signed it and addressed and stamped the envelope. lol I had a bunch!!! I have to make a few, for kids and males, I don't have much for those groups on hand. But I know I'll be gone at some point for a couple weeks, not sure when, but it would be real nice just to grab the pile and take it with me.
I organized like that for the month ahead. But wow - through September? I am impressed.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:28 AM   #7468
Stazon Splitcoast

So yesterday morning I spent some time training Shadow how to go up and down the doggie ramp I had bought. With his arthritis it was getting hard for him to jump up in to the car. Which meant I couldn't really get him to the vet's or to the groomer's. Which meant he hasn't had a bath/grooming since winter and well smelling doggy-ish. Or maybe bear-ish.

Anyway training session was successful - but not with my car. side doors do no open wide enough for ramp to fit properly.

So used Steve;s old PT cruiser and positioned ramp at the back hatchback.

And, serendipity, the stars aligned and groomer was able to fit him in at 3pm yesterday so I now have a sweet smelling bear.
Englishrose likes this post.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:02 AM   #7469

Quote:
So yesterday morning I spent some time training Shadow how to go up and down the doggie ramp I had bought. With his arthritis it was getting hard for him to jump up in to the car. Which meant I couldn't really get him to the vet's or to the groomer's. Which meant he hasn't had a bath/grooming since winter and well smelling doggy-ish. Or maybe bear-ish.

Anyway training session was successful - but not with my car. side doors do no open wide enough for ramp to fit properly.

So used Steve;s old PT cruiser and positioned ramp at the back hatchback.

And, serendipity, the stars aligned and groomer was able to fit him in at 3pm yesterday so I now have a sweet smelling bear.
Awww that's sweet! We thought about getting something for Phantom so he could climb up on our bed, but then it just got too difficult for him to get up the stairs. At least when we were going somewhere, we had DH or DS able to lift him up. Not that Phantom like that, but hey.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:04 AM   #7470

Quote:
I organized like that for the month ahead. But wow - through September? I am impressed.
Well I used to get cards from Current, and I would do the whole year ahead! But I've never had enough home made cards to do more than a couple so never did.

I still have to make one for the twins birthday in early July - I don't have kids cards and they'll be 9. Funny age, you don't want it too baby-ish either, ya know? I loved getting more normal cards starting around that age, so I didn't feel like a baby. lol Then one for DH. And I just need a couple of male cards. I have one for a friend in FL but didn't sign or address it yet; she loves Asian themes (she's Jewish, lol), so if I can, I'm going to make her a special card. I even have some coins I can stick on the card!

Old 06-24-2013, 11:43 AM   #7471

Did you see that the red panda escaped from the National Zoo? But they found him. What a cutie. A young thing. Looks like a cross between a red fox and a raccoon. lol

Red Panda Missing From Zoo In Washington Found

Old 06-24-2013, 03:46 PM   #7473
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Band Mom

Quote:

Wow. Sounds and looks like a really interesting place to visit!
Old 06-24-2013, 03:49 PM   #7474
Band Mom

Quote:
Overachiever. LOL *teasing grin*

The next Pondie birthday is Rainsong's, yes?
Old 06-24-2013, 03:54 PM   #7475
Band Mom

Quote:
Well I used to get cards from Current, and I would do the whole year ahead! But I've never had enough home made cards to do more than a couple so never did.
Like I said earlier...

Quote:
I still have to make one for the twins birthday in early July - I don't have kids cards and they'll be 9. Funny age, you don't want it too baby-ish either, ya know? I loved getting more normal cards starting around that age, so I didn't feel like a baby. lol Then one for DH. And I just need a couple of male cards. I have one for a friend in FL but didn't sign or address it yet; she loves Asian themes (she's Jewish, lol), so if I can, I'm going to make her a special card. I even have some coins I can stick on the card!
I agree with you that it can be hard to make cards for tweens/teenagers. If you want some ideas, I'll share some of the cards I've made for my boys.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:56 PM   #7476
Band Mom

Quote:
Did you see that the red panda escaped from the National Zoo? But they found him. What a cutie. A young thing. Looks like a cross between a red fox and a raccoon. lol

Red Panda Missing From Zoo In Washington Found
Awww, he's CUTE!

I loved this quote from the article:
"We all know that young males like to test boundaries."
Stampin Wrose likes this post.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:28 PM   #7477
Stazon Splitcoast

So Jane, what is the backstory behind your affection for lobsters?
Old 06-24-2013, 07:03 PM   #7478
Stazon Splitcoast

Well the Blackhawks just won (I didn't watch any of the games....)

Stupid idiots outside are setting off firecrackers and making poor Shadow bark. Not to mention, I need to get to sleep because work comes all too early in the morning....
Old 06-24-2013, 08:48 PM   #7479

Quote:
Originally Posted by PH in VA View Post
Overachiever. LOL *teasing grin*

The next Pondie birthday is Rainsong's, yes?
I do believe so!

Old 06-24-2013, 08:49 PM   #7480

Quote:
Well the Blackhawks just won (I didn't watch any of the games....)

Stupid idiots outside are setting off firecrackers and making poor Shadow bark. Not to mention, I need to get to sleep because work comes all too early in the morning....
Yes they did win! In Boston too! I got to see Handzus - who was a Shark earlier this season - hoist the cup with the Blackhawks.