Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree553Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 02:19 PM   #6161
Stazon Splitcoast

Sunday, we're going out to Bisbee with a former colleague of DH. His wife is English, too. They've been here a couple of times.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 05-03-2013, 02:23 PM   #6162
Stazon Splitcoast

http://www.discoverbisbee.com/

We've wanted to go here and finally get to go! It's about 80 miles( beyond Tobmstone) but is higher up and cooler than here so should be nice. We'll be just 10 miles from the Mexican border and will have to come through checkpoints on the way back north.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:23 PM   #6163
Stazon Splitcoast

We've wanted to go here and finally get to go! It's about 80 miles( beyond Tobmstone) but is higher up and cooler than here so should be nice. We'll be just 10 miles from the Mexican border and will have to come through checkpoints on the way back north.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:43 PM   #6164
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Bisbee looks like a pretty cool place!

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
Old 05-03-2013, 08:27 PM   #6165
Directionally Challenged Parrothead

Bisbee looks like fun, Karen! You and your family have definitely left me with a lot of warm feelings about Arizona--not just the Grand Canyon part of it! It's such a gorgeous state and the saguarro completely won me over!

You also definitely know how to make a visitor feel welcome and so open to everything around you! I still have warm fuzzies whenever I think of my visit! Come to think of it I still have a warm fuzzy I bought during my visit! I wore it a lot this past winter and it definitely liked Alaska!
Old 05-03-2013, 08:28 PM   #6166

Wrose I'm dying to see what you've been working on!

One of these days I will have to start a gallery. I guess it's been 7 years. Might need to get around to it.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:29 PM   #6167

Since, you know, I'm a troll who doesn't stamp...
Old 05-03-2013, 08:39 PM   #6168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose View Post
Jane it is pretty amazing that none of us have known any war anywhere near our own homes. Not something we've had to worry about.
I know. Working through all Mom's photos has really brought that home to me. One of the contractors who just left our area did a lot of African dance and arts, and she has a friend from Uganda who wrote a play on the effect of war on civilians. I think so many people don't think about that. My Mom talks about how afraid she felt all the time growing up, and then felt even more afraid of how scared she was and how she had to act 'normal,' because the Germans were so suspicious of anyone who appeared fearful and assumed you were hiding something.

I can't imagine living with that on such an unrelenting level for 6 or 7 years. I think that's got to really mess with the heads of an entire country of people. Well, I guess I kind of know first hand from growing up with Mom how much it can do that. I don't mean that in any way against my Mom. But a lot of the weird crap that happened in my family started to make sense when we started doing the interviews and talking about all that.

I feel very, very grateful not only to live in peace, but for all the character it took for both my grandparents to have to escape hugely destructive revolutions as children and then live through--and in my grandfather's case, fight--WWII. I think that's why I had such a hard time understanding when people who opposed the invasion of Iraq got so much hostility and fury over how they didn't support the troops if they questioned the need for war. I support the troops with all my heart, but I heard so much about what war meant when I grew up--that terror of bombs falling and not knowing if you'd live through the day, families torn apart, so many people a military loses during fighting and all the desolation that leaves behind. Who could know about that and NOT want to find alternatives? I worry that we see it so much, on a societal level, as almost a video game or TV show.

I worry, too, that during WWII when everyone fought, the suffering was spread so evenly--rich or poor, black or white, people fought together and had to rely on each other. I think that built a certain, however grudging, level of respect. Now military service falls on such a small minority of people. Most people never live with that anxiety about a loved one serving in a war zone. I guess I just worry that we're losing that terrible sense of what it means to wage a war.

I feel incredibly grateful to my grandparents and my Mom for making sure I understood that.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:42 PM   #6169

There's a somewhat early NCIS episode where some idiot politician is running around and at some point, Gibbs makes a comment, and the guy says, "You don't support the war?" (in shock), and Gibbs looks at him and says, "I support the troops."

Old 05-03-2013, 08:56 PM   #6170
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy otter View Post
I know. Working through all Mom's photos has really brought that home to me. One of the contractors who just left our area did a lot of African dance and arts, and she has a friend from Uganda who wrote a play on the effect of war on civilians. I think so many people don't think about that. My Mom talks about how afraid she felt all the time growing up, and then felt even more afraid of how scared she was and how she had to act 'normal,' because the Germans were so suspicious of anyone who appeared fearful and assumed you were hiding something.

I can't imagine living with that on such an unrelenting level for 6 or 7 years. I think that's got to really mess with the heads of an entire country of people. Well, I guess I kind of know first hand from growing up with Mom how much it can do that. I don't mean that in any way against my Mom. But a lot of the weird crap that happened in my family started to make sense when we started doing the interviews and talking about all that.

I feel very, very grateful not only to live in peace, but for all the character it took for both my grandparents to have to escape hugely destructive revolutions as children and then live through--and in my grandfather's case, fight--WWII. I think that's why I had such a hard time understanding when people who opposed the invasion of Iraq got so much hostility and fury over how they didn't support the troops if they questioned the need for war. I support the troops with all my heart, but I heard so much about what war meant when I grew up--that terror of bombs falling and not knowing if you'd live through the day, families torn apart, so many people a military loses during fighting and all the desolation that leaves behind. Who could know about that and NOT want to find alternatives? I worry that we see it so much, on a societal level, as almost a video game or TV show.

I worry, too, that during WWII when everyone fought, the suffering was spread so evenly--rich or poor, black or white, people fought together and had to rely on each other. I think that built a certain, however grudging, level of respect. Now military service falls on such a small minority of people. Most people never live with that anxiety about a loved one serving in a war zone. I guess I just worry that we're losing that terrible sense of what it means to wage a war.

I feel incredibly grateful to my grandparents and my Mom for making sure I understood that.
My Mum and Dad were both 9 when war broke out. Dad in the UK, rationing etc Mum in Vienna, sectorised like Berlin after the war and they were in the Russian sector. That is all I know as she never spoke about it. I found some photos of who I guess is my grandfather and possibly an uncle. You can guess the uniform they are wearing - not by choice.

And your talk of current war. DH worked with and deployed with Capt Reid Nishizuka whose plane went down in Afghanistan last Saturday.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:08 AM   #6171
Stazon Splitcoast

Handyman came back this morning ad readjusted all the shelvesto the correct height.

I started organizing stuff back on them; will do more after lunch.

I think I need at least one more unit. Maybe two.

But am pulling a pile of stuff for garage sale that neighbor says she is having the first part of June. Lugging all that wet stuff out of there made me realize I jut had too much stuff. I will still have too much, but a little less too much.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:12 AM   #6172
Stazon Splitcoast

Still have not kicked this cold & cough so am a little sluggish. But at least I'm not running a fever like I was the first part of the week.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:13 AM   #6173
Stazon Splitcoast

Tang a lunch break. Delaying going back downstairs.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:13 AM   #6174
Stazon Splitcoast

I think I'll walk the dog.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:25 AM   #6175

Hey Marge.

Looks like your keyboard is still making funnies.

Glad you're getting things back together. Hard work. Why aren't we all there? Oh right, the Lear Jet needs gas......

Old 05-04-2013, 10:48 AM   #6176
neglecting the kids and housework

Quote:
Seriously, who knew that the new Wildflower background and embossing folder would look so good in Baked Brown Sugar?
I can't decide what to do about SU. I think I just need to let it go. I don't see myself making a card much less designing and teaching a class.

ALtho PH was dear enough to order thru me a few weeks ago Thanks friend!!!
Old 05-04-2013, 12:41 PM   #6177

Quote:
Well since Baja was already resurrected once, doubtful it'll come back again! : )
Wrats.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:44 PM   #6178

Quote:
My poor little sister. Finally got a state job after so many layoffs. Been doing that for six years. You wouldn't think accounting was such a dangerous profession. Now that state and federal funds are cut, they are cutting more accountants. She has, in the last week, been watching agents in other offices be let go, one here, two there. She checked her seniority. She heard rumors about one office being closed (well I should say another one, they did close one already). She checked seniority of the two offices that might get merged. She figures she's 6th in line, so if they merge and keep 6, she'll have a job. If not, she won't. Her office is revenue producing, so you'd think they'd want to keep more of them!
That whole approach really confuses me. Hey, we have too many people abusing the system, so let's get rid of the people who comb through everything to ensure they don't get away with it.

Jeepers. That's nuts.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:45 PM   #6179

Quote:
Originally Posted by Englishrose View Post
Well, I think we can salvage them. Will have to do more sanding then some sort of poly sealer so get the surface smooth. Rustoleum refunded us for the cost of the product which is helpful.
Oh poop, ERK.

I hope the salvage works. Just bummed. You sounded so excited about it.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:47 PM   #6180

Quote:
There's a somewhat early NCIS episode where some idiot politician is running around and at some point, Gibbs makes a comment, and the guy says, "You don't support the war?" (in shock), and Gibbs looks at him and says, "I support the troops."
<--iz grateful for imaginary characters who get it.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:51 PM   #6181

Quote:
My Mum and Dad were both 9 when war broke out. Dad in the UK, rationing etc Mum in Vienna, sectorised like Berlin after the war and they were in the Russian sector. That is all I know as she never spoke about it. I found some photos of who I guess is my grandfather and possibly an uncle. You can guess the uniform they are wearing - not by choice.

And your talk of current war. DH worked with and deployed with Capt Reid Nishizuka whose plane went down in Afghanistan last Saturday.
Oh Karen. I'm so very sorry to hear about Capt Nishizuka. How awful for DH--for everyone who lost their lives.

And how awful that your Mum wouldn't ever talk about what she went through. That's seldom a good sign. I know Mom said when the Russians took over Krakow they were far more terrifying occupiers. She said with the Germans, at least you had some reasonable certainty (if you weren't Jewish, anyway, or an intellectual, or gay) that if you didn't cause trouble, they'd more or less leave you be. She said with the Russians you had no idea, ever. They'd get drunk and do whatever the heck they wanted--very little discipline, very wilfull, easily provoked, extremely brutal when angry with no repercussions from the officers that Mom or her family ever saw.

She said having them billeted in their house was terrifying.

Please tell DH I am thinking of him, and very sad to hear about Capt Nishizuka.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:53 PM   #6182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinois Marge View Post
I think I'll walk the dog.
Hi Marge.

Ack that you're still not feeling well on top of dealing with flood cleanup, but glad to hear things are coming together a bit more.

Hello Shadow. I can't wait to meet the famous Shadow in September!

Will the famous Steve be there? And will I get to meet Leona?
Old 05-04-2013, 12:55 PM   #6183

Quote:
Hey Marge.

Looks like your keyboard is still making funnies.

Glad you're getting things back together. Hard work. Why aren't we all there? Oh right, the Lear Jet needs gas......
Seriously, someone needs to poke Jeeves in the arse for letting it get so low... BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
Old 05-04-2013, 12:55 PM   #6184

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewsplendidstamper View Post
I can't decide what to do about SU. I think I just need to let it go. I don't see myself making a card much less designing and teaching a class.

Awwww...
Old 05-04-2013, 01:05 PM   #6185

Who else is watching the horses? Well they won't run for another hour. And it's very muddy, ooooh this will be a fun race!

Old 05-04-2013, 01:08 PM   #6186

Quote:
That whole approach really confuses me. Hey, we have too many people abusing the system, so let's get rid of the people who comb through everything to ensure they don't get away with it.

Jeepers. That's nuts.
And she works with UC issues, businesses who have employees they are paying under the table... so she goes out to talk to them, do an audit, tell them what they need to do, their best options. Bringing money into the state. She said yeah her last job was at a state institution that was basically care for a group of people and all of that expense was pretty much a cost to the state, paid by taxes. Well with the economy you can see why that kind of job would go. She got out of there though. Sigh. Generally she does random audits and also calls on people if they get a report from somebody. (complaint)

Old 05-04-2013, 01:15 PM   #6187

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewsplendidstamper View Post

Ahhhhhh yes, well you could just sort of let it lapse for the time being. You have a lot of changes coming up and maybe that would be easiest. Then when things are calmer, if you want to, you can sign back up. I know when my kids were little, even NOT working (like you are!), I just let some hobbies slide because I had to. I used to have a wall of plants, basically. Um, no. Who wants to water plants when you're watering kids all day. lol They didn't make it. Well a few did.

You might find you want to stamp after things settle, but not enough to get back into selling it, if it's calming for you, a "place" to go to in your head, or if not, then you reassess. That's what I'd advise!

Old 05-04-2013, 01:17 PM   #6188

Oh yeah, and

May the Fourth

Be With You.

Old 05-04-2013, 06:46 PM   #6189
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Hi Marge.

Hello Shadow. I can't wait to meet the famous Shadow in September!

Will the famous Steve be there? And will I get to meet Leona?
You will love Shadow, He is a giant teddy bear.

Yes, you'll meet Leona and others. She can't go with us on road trip because her daughter Stephanie will b home over Labor Day week. But we'll definitely get together! I'll see if you can meet some walkers too.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:15 AM   #6190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinois Marge View Post
You will love Shadow, He is a giant teddy bear.

Yes, you'll meet Leona and others. She can't go with us on road trip because her daughter Stephanie will b home over Labor Day week. But we'll definitely get together! I'll see if you can meet some walkers too.
Already excited about trip!!!! Getting more so every time we talk about it!
Old 05-05-2013, 03:23 AM   #6191

Mom and I got TONS done this weekend... maps, dates, who's who in the photos, another 6pp. done. Whew!

So this morning I'm packing everything up to take it home and finish there--a huge step and also one that means I can keep going much more efficiently with everything I have at the house.

Heading down to Boston this evening--dinner with my friends in Cambridge and happy overnight nap on their couch before heading home on the O-dark-thirty flight home. Actually college friend and I have scheduled after dinner stroll over to Louis Gates' house--she lives a few streets over and we've been joking about needing to go for a walk to visit (don't worry, we will not be going up on the porch or anywhere near the door) ever since.

Mom and I had a great weekend talking. She said it means a lot to her to put all this together. It's meant a lot to me too but I know for her there's a lot to talk about and share in terms of everything she went through, and what it was like to feel so overwhelmed as a little kid. Not to mention what the adults in her life went through. What an amazing family, and how terrifying to face cruelty on that industrialized and efficient a scale.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:51 AM   #6192
Stazon Splitcoast

Going to Art in the Park today with the walkers.....
Old 05-05-2013, 11:04 AM   #6193

Jane, will be thinking of you as you head home later toda... tomorrow.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:04 AM   #6194

Have fun Marge! Glad you're feeling well enough to get out now.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:12 AM   #6195

Quote:
Mom and I got TONS done this weekend... maps, dates, who's who in the photos, another 6pp. done. Whew!

So this morning I'm packing everything up to take it home and finish there--a huge step and also one that means I can keep going much more efficiently with everything I have at the house.

Heading down to Boston this evening--dinner with my friends in Cambridge and happy overnight nap on their couch before heading home on the O-dark-thirty flight home. Actually college friend and I have scheduled after dinner stroll over to Louis Gates' house--she lives a few streets over and we've been joking about needing to go for a walk to visit (don't worry, we will not be going up on the porch or anywhere near the door) ever since.

Mom and I had a great weekend talking. She said it means a lot to her to put all this together. It's meant a lot to me too but I know for her there's a lot to talk about and share in terms of everything she went through, and what it was like to feel so overwhelmed as a little kid. Not to mention what the adults in her life went through. What an amazing family, and how terrifying to face cruelty on that industrialized and efficient a scale.
You know you've mentioned how it is a little sad not having kids to pass this on to. Well they may not be your kids but you've got kids learning these lessons and sharing these stories. It's so much more interesting and heartfelt and important to be able to tell my kids "hey Muddyotter's mom and grandma..." rather than "you know a long time ago people..." So thank you for sharing this all with us.
Stampin Wrose and Englishrose like this post.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:14 AM   #6196

Happy Cinco de Mayo!
We're having asian food today to celebrate.
Stampin Wrose likes this post.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:15 AM   #6197

Why is SCS weird?
Old 05-05-2013, 11:34 AM   #6198

What's weird today???

Old 05-05-2013, 11:34 AM   #6199

Not sure what dinner will be here. Need to have lunch first!

Old 05-05-2013, 02:28 PM   #6200
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

How was Bisbee, ERK? I immediately thought, ooohh, bet they have lots of copper jewelry!