Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree553Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 06:19 PM   #5801
Her Royal Awesomeness of Shiner Bock PTA Pirate Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinois Marge View Post
OK, I spent 2.5 hours downstairs making a baby card for a guy in the U&D department (Usability & Design) that is having a baby girl. He better appreciate it! I needed it big enough for lots of people to sign so I did an accordion fold. And lots of brown (cuz although it is a baby girl, he's a guy...)
hope you don't mind - i just got volunteered to make a baby card for tomorrow for one of our secretaries... i'm stealing this!!!

2013 Scrapping Goal 48 pages
To date 20 completed!

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 04-17-2013, 06:34 PM   #5802
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmscoping View Post
hope you don't mind - i just got volunteered to make a baby card for tomorrow for one of our secretaries... i'm stealing this!!!
Don't mind at all!
Old 04-17-2013, 08:06 PM   #5803
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Band Mom

Just popping in to say 'hi'. Not much new going on here.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:27 PM   #5804
Band Mom

Oh, I do have a couple stories about our backyard bunnies that I can share.

1. Yesterday afternoon when I went to get the mail, I decided to detour first to the back yard and spin our compost bin (it's one of the tumbling ones). I got almost to it and got startled in my tracks because lying in the grass, maybe 6 feet from the compost bin, was one of the bunnies. It was just lounging there, flopped on its side, like it was all tuckered out from running around or something. After about a minute of watching it, and it not moving anything more than its wiggly nose, I slowly walked the remaining few steps to the bin to do what I needed to do. I talked to it, saying stuff like "Hi, bunny. I'm not going to hurt you. I just want to spin the compost." I was so tempted to reach out and pet it, but I thought better of that. (Although it was brown, not white, I've seen "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" a few too many times to take my chances. LOL) As I was talking to it, it sat up and scratched its nose with one of its hind legs. It was totally cute. I didn't laugh too hard because I didn't want to scare it, but I said, "awww, your nose itched." I got the bin spun, and turned to go to the mailbox, and that's when the bunny finally hopped off toward our deck.

B. Yesterday evening, before it got dark, DH were in the living room together watching TV. He got up to shut the front door for the night, but took a look around through the storm door first. We had the windows open, so he calmly said to me, "Look out the window, and look down." One of the bunnies was right there. On the freakin' front porch. It didn't stay too long before hopping off across the front yard. But dang - that was the closest I've ever seen any of them come up to one of the doors.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:44 PM   #5805
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Oh PH, I love cute bunny stories! Do you worry about your garden? Do they eat everything and make you hate them??

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
Old 04-17-2013, 08:45 PM   #5806

I got some stamping done. Used two of the 36 pinwheels I made the past couple days. That Polka Dot Parade DP is just PERFECT for pinwheels!!!!

So now I have a stash for bright cards.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:48 PM   #5807

I had also been wanting to use my Clockworks set, to make masculine cards. So I did. I uploaded it already but I did CASE it, and of course included the link. (I pretty much always do, and every now and then the original person sees it and thanks me. Awww....)

Anyway, she used a piece of plastic over the dial, which I thought was an awesome idea. So I found the transparencies I have and discovered you can't really punch through it, at least not the ones I have. (I think they do come in various thicknesses.) But of course the Big Shot took care of it. But then I put it under the top cardstock anyway so I could have just rough cut a piece. lol

I'm not sure how I'd adhere it if I put it right on top of things?? I guess you could cut the dial out and punch the hole and make layers. I might actually try that, see how hard it is.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:49 PM   #5808

Had a heck of a time not smearing stuff on my W.White. Had to finally just set it down and walk away and come back to finish.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:50 PM   #5809

ERK has her birthday on the same day as one of the cousins I'm close to, as well as my sister's significant other. The latter two are getting the masculine cards.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:51 PM   #5810

I'd like to stamp the clock in metallic gold too, and emboss it, and go from there.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:59 PM   #5811
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi. We had friends over for dinner. They arrived just after 5. At 4.45 our power went off! Luckily my cornbread was just about done so we finished it on the grill. The pulled pork was sitting in the crock pot having cooked most of the day. So basically as soon as they arrived we had to eat! Then their daughter arrived with the baby. He's now 6 weeks old, absolutely adorable. They hung out with us until it started to get dark. Just as they walked out of the door the lights came back on. Fortunately, it was cool today - 68F - so we didn't miss the a/c. Sunday is supposed to be 90+.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:00 PM   #5812
Stazon Splitcoast

The kids have been doing AIMS testing all week so it was nice for them to play with their friends for a while, too.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:02 PM   #5813
Stazon Splitcoast

Just spent the last 1.5 hours cutting ( on the silhouette) some templates for a project in 3rd grade on Friday after testing is done.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:02 PM   #5814
Stazon Splitcoast

I don't know the Clockworks set, Wrose.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:46 AM   #5815
Band Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose View Post
Oh PH, I love cute bunny stories! Do you worry about your garden? Do they eat everything and make you hate them??
Actually, no. It's like there's some sort of mutual understanding that as long as we let them live under our shed and don't bother them, they won't bother the garden. It's the darnedest thing.

There has been only one time over the last 7 or so years we've had a garden that they've eaten any of the plants - and even so, because the plants were eaten during the night, we can't prove with certainty it was the bunnies. It was during a drought period where much of the grass in the yard had dried up, but we'd been watering the garden to keep the butterbeans and snaps growing.

Last year, however, we had deer come in the yard and eat pretty much everything that was growing at the time - snaps, butterbeans, corn, and even my daylilies in the front yard! We saw deer tracks so we knew the bunnies weren't responsible. Besides, the way the corn was eaten from the top of the plant down, there's no way that could have been done by the bunnies. LOL.

I've been watching the weather and trying to figure out the best time to spray animal repellant. Last year after the deer had their feast, I bought Liquid Fence to spray around the garden. It worked well. It is the HOG NASTIEST smelling stuff before it dries. Imagine a mixture of skunk odor, rotten eggs, and fresh manure, and that's a pretty accurate description. Seriously, one of the ingredients on the label is "putrescent egg solids". Garlic is another. But thankfully after it dries, humans can't smell it, but the deer (and apparently rabbits) still can so they stay away. I don't want to use it when it's windy or if it's going to rain in the next 24 hours.

Last edited by PH in VA; 04-18-2013 at 05:14 PM.. Reason: clarification
Old 04-18-2013, 06:15 AM   #5816
Band Mom

Quote:
I had also been wanting to use my Clockworks set, to make masculine cards. So I did. I uploaded it already but I did CASE it, and of course included the link. (I pretty much always do, and every now and then the original person sees it and thanks me. Awww....)

Anyway, she used a piece of plastic over the dial, which I thought was an awesome idea. So I found the transparencies I have and discovered you can't really punch through it, at least not the ones I have. (I think they do come in various thicknesses.) But of course the Big Shot took care of it. But then I put it under the top cardstock anyway so I could have just rough cut a piece. lol

I'm not sure how I'd adhere it if I put it right on top of things?? I guess you could cut the dial out and punch the hole and make layers. I might actually try that, see how hard it is.
Very cool.

I guess using the plastic would be easier than trying to cover the clock face with something like crystal effects.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:17 AM   #5817
Band Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Englishrose View Post
Hi. We had friends over for dinner. They arrived just after 5. At 4.45 our power went off! Luckily my cornbread was just about done so we finished it on the grill. The pulled pork was sitting in the crock pot having cooked most of the day. So basically as soon as they arrived we had to eat! Then their daughter arrived with the baby. He's now 6 weeks old, absolutely adorable. They hung out with us until it started to get dark. Just as they walked out of the door the lights came back on. Fortunately, it was cool today - 68F - so we didn't miss the a/c. Sunday is supposed to be 90+.

Oh geez. That sucks about the power going off, but at least you were able to pull off the meal in spite of that. And hooray for the nice temperatures.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:08 PM   #5818
blaBBermouth

Hi!
Old 04-18-2013, 04:36 PM   #5819

Quote:
Originally Posted by PH in VA View Post
Actually, no. It's like some sort of understanding that they won't bother the garden so long as we don't bother them and let them live under our shed. It's the darnedest thing.

There has been only one time over the last 7 or so years we've had a garden that they've eaten any of the plants - and even so, because the plants were eaten during the night, we can't prove with certainty it was the bunnies. It was during a drought period where much of the grass in the yard had dried up, but we'd been watering the garden to keep the butterbeans and snaps growing.

Last year, however, we had deer come in the yard and eat pretty much everything that was growing at the time - snaps, butterbeans, corn, and even my daylilies in the front yard! We saw deer tracks so we knew the bunnies weren't responsible. Besides, the way the corn was eaten from the top of the plant down, there's no way that could have been done by the bunnies. LOL.

I've been watching the weather and trying to figure out the best time to spray animal repellant. Last year after the deer had their feast, I bought Liquid Fence to spray around the garden. It worked well. It is the HOG NASTIEST smelling stuff before it dries. Imagine a mixture of skunk odor, rotten eggs, and fresh manure, and that's a pretty accurate description. Seriously, one of the ingredients on the label is "putrescent egg solids". Garlic is another. But thankfully after it dries, humans can't smell it, but the deer (and apparently rabbits) still can so they stay away. I don't want to use it when it's windy or if it's going to rain in the next 24 hours.
One of my sisters has a heckuva time with deer eating her stuff!!!!

Old 04-18-2013, 04:38 PM   #5820

PH I passed along your tip, maybe my sister can use it.

Old 04-18-2013, 04:40 PM   #5821

Quote:
Very cool.

I guess using the plastic would be easier than trying to cover the clock face with something like crystal effects.
Yes, but I did make one last night, copper embossing powder, cut it out, so I had to use glue to put it together and of course it's messy. I think if I wanted to do that, maybe the crystal effects would be better, just have to set it to dry. If it's on a card, you can use a larger piece of plastic behind it, and it's way easier to stick it there. lol

I should make one with crystal effects just to see how it goes.

Old 04-18-2013, 04:42 PM   #5822

Quote:
Originally Posted by Englishrose View Post
I don't know the Clockworks set, Wrose.
This is the card.
Attached Thumbnails
clockworks-bday-midnight.jpg  

Old 04-18-2013, 05:26 PM   #5823
Band Mom

Quote:
One of my sisters has a heckuva time with deer eating her stuff!!!!
Both of my sisters have problems with deer, too. My sister J doesn't really grow vegetables, other than maybe a tomato plant and a pepper plant, but the deer get after her azaleas and pansies.

My sister A has a smaller veggie garden than ours and has a horrible time. She's tried the Liquid Fence, and she's tried hanging bars of soap from her pergola, but her veggies still get munched - usually just a day or two before she thinks they will be ready to pick. The crazy thing about her problem is that she lives in a pretty densely populated area inside the DC Beltway. Well, I guess all the development is part of the problem - other than cars, the deer really don't have any predators. But she sees them often, even in broad daylight. Not long ago she saw eight of them - yes, EIGHT - in the neighbors' yard across her street.

We're not sure how many deer were in our yard last year. They/It attacked at night when we were asleep.

Of course, Mom and Dad don't have a garden any more, but we've seen deer in their neighborhood, too. There is a large wooded area across from their house and we've seen the deer come out of there and walk down the street that makes the vertical part of a "T" with Mom & Dad's street right near the driveway.

Last edited by PH in VA; 04-18-2013 at 05:31 PM..
Old 04-18-2013, 05:37 PM   #5824
Band Mom

We had woods near the house when we were growing up, too. The yard was surrounded by a field on three sides, and the road on the fourth, and the woods were on the north side of the field.

I'm not sure exactly how they rigged it up, but Mom and Dad would rig up some kind of stakes and hang old aluminum pie plates from them (like the flimsy, somewhat disposable ones that aren't meant to be reused often). Then after compact discs were invented and they'd occasionally get one in the mail offering some stuff they didn't want, they'd hang them out there.

Or maybe that was to help keep birds out? I don't remember.

Oh, one last idea - hair. Mom would cut Dad's hair in between his trips to a real barber, and sometimes they'd spread the cut hair around the edge of the garden.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:05 PM   #5825

Pretty interesting, PH. I don't know if she's tried anything or not.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:07 PM   #5826

Last night, the last of my dad's siblings passed away. She was 96 or 97. There were 4 girls (one died around age 10), and 5 boys. All gone now. I was thinking about you, Marge. My mom's sibling (3 boys) are all still around.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:07 PM   #5827

Her son was the one cousin I've stayed in touch with all these years. You might remember that he and his wife were out here almost two years ago, touring the west coast, and DH and I managed to take a day and head up to San Francisco to spend a day with them.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:17 PM   #5828
Band Mom

I'm sorry to hear about your aunt, Wrose.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:19 PM   #5829

Thanks, PH. She was always kind of the matriarch, ya know?

Old 04-18-2013, 07:20 PM   #5830

I remember at some point finding out that my dad and all his siblings weren't raised together! Their house was too small, so some of them lived not too far away with another family member, an aunt or something. (I don't recall.) Weird huh.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:28 PM   #5831
Band Mom

DH and I went out for a while tonight. We had dinner at one of our favorite local places. They were pretty crowded! There was a tour group of senior citizens in there when we arrived, maybe about 30 of them. Our favorite waitress was serving them so we had a different waitress tonight. She did pretty well too. There were some other patrons there too but when 3 of them left, DH and I were the youngest people eating there! LOL But despite the restaurant being a lot busier than most of the times we've been there, our food was still excellent.

We also did some shopping/browsing. DH bought me a ring! He told me to tell my friends (which means y'all) that he even got one of the better quality ones.

Don't get too excited, though.

It's a wax ring, for sealing the toilet to the floor. The one in our bathroom is starting to go bad. I guess after 18 years it's to be expected. The one in the other bathroom gave out a few years ago, but that one had been subjected to two boys' worth of toilet training.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:32 PM   #5832

Oh yeah we had to get a toilet ring replaced a couple years ago too.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:34 PM   #5833

And after their second loss of the season yesterday, the Atlanta Braves won again today. They are 13-2 (.867).

Old 04-18-2013, 07:35 PM   #5834
Band Mom

Quote:
Thanks, PH. She was always kind of the matriarch, ya know?
Yes. My dad has been the patriarch on his side of the family for a while now. He's the oldest of 4; his sister and the brother closer in age to him have passed away. Dad's surviving brother is 17 years and one day younger than Dad.

Interestingly, that brother's oldest child is just one day older than my sister A (the oldest of my parents' children). And in both cases, the birthdays are on the 11th and 12th of the month (but the dads were born in a different month than the children).
Old 04-18-2013, 07:46 PM   #5835
Band Mom

We need to do a lot of home improvement stuff, in several different rooms. So while we were out at Lowe's I did a lot of browsing.

One room that needs a lot of work is the boys'/guest bathroom. So I looked at some of the faucets and narrowed that down to 3 or 4 that I liked, and I looked at some of the flooring options. Holy carp - how to choose flooring? There are so many options. I don't think I want tile because it gets frickin' cold in the winter (been there, done that growing up) and I don't know if it's worth getting the heat stuff underneath since both the boys will be moving on to college and off into the world in the next 5 years.

Do any of y'all have cork flooring anywhere in your homes? If so, in what room(s)? I like the idea of it, but it doesn't seem as durable as tile or vinyl or wood.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:49 PM   #5836

Flooring is daunting to me, too, PH.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:51 PM   #5837

I guess my dad's side really didn't have a patriarch. The oldest son was kind of a goof. The next would have been the one that was a priest, but he died around 50, heart attack. Pretty young considering most of them lived so long. Then my dad was the third boy, but he had so many older siblings, male and female, that I don't think he ever thought of being a patriarch type. Not his style. lol

Old 04-19-2013, 12:44 AM   #5838
Glitter Guru

Quote:
One room that needs a lot of work is the boys'/guest bathroom. So I looked at some of the faucets and narrowed that down to 3 or 4 that I liked, and I looked at some of the flooring options. Holy carp - how to choose flooring? There are so many options. I don't think I want tile because it gets frickin' cold in the winter (been there, done that growing up) and I don't know if it's worth getting the heat stuff underneath since both the boys will be moving on to college and off into the world in the next 5 years.

Do any of y'all have cork flooring anywhere in your homes? If so, in what room(s)? I like the idea of it, but it doesn't seem as durable as tile or vinyl or wood.
My in-laws have had cork in their bathrooms since sometime in the 60s or 70s, so I know it's durable. It does take a little attention - sealing or polishing or something - but I got the impression it's pretty low maintenance.

Also, the heated floor things have thermostats so you can just turn them on when you need them.

Finally, we have bamboo everywhere except the master bath (tiled) and the kids bath (bright turquoise lino-type tiles). The guest bath has bamboo, as does the kitchen, and we've found it easy to maintain. The master bath tiled floor has a floor heater that I turn off when DH isn't here to save $. The kids lino-type stuff is pretty warm on the feet and available in all sorts of colors. I think we got it at Lowes - it looks like the kind of tiles a school might have, but available in more colors than gray or gray-green, LOL.

Good luck choosing
Old 04-19-2013, 06:54 AM   #5839
Band Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlysonRR View Post
My in-laws have had cork in their bathrooms since sometime in the 60s or 70s, so I know it's durable. It does take a little attention - sealing or polishing or something - but I got the impression it's pretty low maintenance.

Also, the heated floor things have thermostats so you can just turn them on when you need them.

Finally, we have bamboo everywhere except the master bath (tiled) and the kids bath (bright turquoise lino-type tiles). The guest bath has bamboo, as does the kitchen, and we've found it easy to maintain. The master bath tiled floor has a floor heater that I turn off when DH isn't here to save $. The kids lino-type stuff is pretty warm on the feet and available in all sorts of colors. I think we got it at Lowes - it looks like the kind of tiles a school might have, but available in more colors than gray or gray-green, LOL.

Good luck choosing
Thank you for all the input, Alyson.

We were looking at the samples of the cork tiles and were able to make an indentation in them with our thumbnails pretty easily, so that's why we were questioning the durability. And I know how cork boards can get kind of scratched and scraped. But the floors seem like the cork cells are more densely compacted than cork boards normally are, so that seems more durable. (Sorry for the train of thought rambling on there... lol)

My hesitation on the heat system under the tile is knowing that that bathroom won't be used frequently after the boys leave. It's a "would the boys use it enough when they're still here to justify the cost" thing.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:58 AM   #5840
Band Mom

One interesting observation -
At Home Depot last weekend, we picked up a couple of the samples they had of the wood flooring (we had the kitchen and living room on our minds then). There was no charge for them.
At Lowe's last night, I noticed that samples of wood flooring ranged from 25 cents to 95 cents.