Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree553Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2013, 05:41 PM   #5721
Diversified Multicultural Postmodern Deconstructionist Philogian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinois Marge View Post
That worked!

Here is French friend after our organizing:
http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/fo...hristiane2.jpg

And here is my room all nice and neat - trust me it does not look like that now:

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/fo...p-room-all.jpg

These are from early 2009.
I haven't seen that much clear space on my table (or floor) since we built my craft table! I have to have EVERY tool (brushes, pens, scissors,stapler, bone folder, Exacto, etc.) I own right at my fingertips.

All organized in my TWO carousels!

And most of my ink pads, cutters, cutting mat, etc., etc., etc.

Argh.

Rainsong
Old 04-12-2013, 05:42 PM   #5722
blaBBermouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by trefoil View Post
It must be bittersweet for those of you with kids going to high school this year. Are your kids excited about going to high school?
Incredibly! She already plays on the hs soccer team, but anticipates making Varsity next year as a freshman. She also has hs cheer try outs next week. Really, she could care less about the classes. She plans to maintain her gpa, but she's more about all the new social opportunities that hs can offer. She seems to have outgrown the social aspects of middle school.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:48 PM   #5723
Diversified Multicultural Postmodern Deconstructionist Philogian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose View Post
DS called earlier and we were chatting and he said he almost cried for a whole hour but finally managed to finish the California State Tax forms.
Got ours done today. We had very little taxable income yet were going to owe a couple hundred this year (which beats what we paid last year!). Tax guy took pity on me and did some devious stuff (Code 3--disability and EIC) and we ended up owing less than $100 plus we're getting a refund from the state. We haven't had a refund from state in decades.

Because our taxable income was so low, we didn't have to itemize the medical expenses--which I had done--because it wouldn't have changed anything. Still, what we paid out in medical was almost as much as our total income.

Right now I don't care about the amount since it's so low. I'm just glad those suckers are DONE!

I just have to remember to write the check and mail it.

Rainsong
Old 04-12-2013, 05:56 PM   #5724
blaBBermouth

We finished our taxes a while back. We owed a small amount to state and got a federal return. It wasn't anything to write home about and went to directly to a debt. *sigh*
Old 04-12-2013, 05:58 PM   #5725
blaBBermouth

Change of plans for the trip. The driver had a family issue and really needed to be home. He still would have driven had we not had another option, but he really did need to be home for the weekend. So, DH is driving. That's not really a big deal as DH wouldn't have drank during the day anyway. He hasn't touched a drop since his round of alcohol poisoning in March. Yeah...boy never drinks and went to a bachelor party. He drank too fast, ended up with poisoning. UGLY. He is back to not drinking. So, we're actually getting our trip paid for now. Swell!!!
Old 04-12-2013, 05:59 PM   #5726
blaBBermouth

I'm going to head to the bed for now. I wanted to catch up before we left. We pull out of here about 645am. Fun!
Old 04-12-2013, 06:18 PM   #5727
Her Royal Awesomeness of Shiner Bock PTA Pirate Land

I have unmounted everything and combined them. i'm still trying to get all of mine organized like i want - (just got my dvd cases from liz today!!!) so slowly and surely - but it's getting there. i have several hundred sets - and i've sold/given away probably about 200.

i love the compacted space of the dvd cases - it makes it so much nicer.

Quote:
No doubt! I have about 13 years or so worth of SU stamps, I've given a few away here and there.

I actually counted clamshells earlier. If I got this right, of SU! I have 451 sets in small to XL clamshells, PLUS 55 Christmas sets, PLUS 62 backgrounds, PLUS 73 word sets, + 52 of the extra small clamshells - some of those are single stamps. I have 43 clamshells of non-SU sets, I used a bunch of the really large clamshells to put some together, like a bunch of St. Pat's stamps or baseball stamps, etc.

I can't consider putting them on their sides like Marge has because I couldn't take the scraping of the clamshells on the shelves!

2013 Scrapping Goal 48 pages
To date 20 completed!

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 04-12-2013, 06:57 PM   #5728
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmscoping View Post
I have unmounted everything and combined them. i'm still trying to get all of mine organized like i want - (just got my dvd cases from liz today!!!) so slowly and surely - but it's getting there. i have several hundred sets - and i've sold/given away probably about 200.

i love the compacted space of the dvd cases - it makes it so much nicer.
Ha ha, yeah I asked her recently, she said something about having something to send us but hadn't found a post office yet. So I asked if she'd sent them and she said no, but that you'd be there "soon." LOL Then the other day she excitedly let me know that she'd found a post office and sent a box along to us. But we didn't get ours yet.

Glad you finally got them!

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
Old 04-12-2013, 06:59 PM   #5729

I know that my BG stamps are all in the same size case so for sure I wouldn't bother touching them. Some of the others I might just do. I'll wait til I have some cases to play with, see what fits. Maybe I can group some punches together and get them out of drawers. Not in any rush though. I still have some empty clamshells from when I ordered a few extras once, but now I will feel free to use them for other things.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:55 PM   #5730

Oh my gosh, San Francisco zoo has a new baby tiger. Well she's 8 weeks now I think and prancing around like a puppy.

Check Out More Photos of That Insanely Cute Baby Tiger at the SF Zoo - San Francisco - News - The Snitch

I should put that in CE, huh.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:25 AM   #5731
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
I know that my BG stamps are all in the same size case so for sure I wouldn't bother touching them. Some of the others I might just do. I'll wait til I have some cases to play with, see what fits. Maybe I can group some punches together and get them out of drawers. Not in any rush though. I still have some empty clamshells from when I ordered a few extras once, but now I will feel free to use them for other things.
I have been very tempted to separate words from sets and make boxes/clamshells of miscellaneous words. I think they would get used more. Has anyone done this?

The only thing that is stopping me is that then the set is "separated" and what if I ever want to sell it. Which is doubtful, but...
Old 04-13-2013, 06:05 AM   #5732
Directionally Challenged Parrothead

Good morning!
Old 04-13-2013, 06:06 AM   #5733
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Oh my gosh, San Francisco zoo has a new baby tiger. Well she's 8 weeks now I think and prancing around like a puppy.

Check Out More Photos of That Insanely Cute Baby Tiger at the SF Zoo - San Francisco - News - The Snitch

Very sweet
Old 04-13-2013, 06:07 AM   #5734
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy otter View Post
Good morning!
Morning! BTW Jane, do NOT expect my stamp room to look that neat and tidy when you visit, OK? Don't want to set false expectations.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:17 AM   #5735

I am now two weeks behind on catching up. Sigh.

May not get there this weekend, either.

I promise I'm not dead... just running around like chicken with no head. Just wrapped up 2 weeks of researching data elements for big compliance deadline. Deadline's not till this coming Friday but wanted to get everything finished so that folks putting documentation together would have it first thing Monday. Still have a few more things to take a second look at Monday when I get in but my big piece of it is done.

A LOT of stressful stuff going on as a couple of folks on the team battle out the approach we need to take. Also a colleague tried to pass off HUGE part of my manager's work as colleague's work. I hate that crap. Plus I think it's so stupid because even if you look like Captain Wonderful in the short term, all you do long term is create a climate where no one will share anything resembling an original idea with you ever again unless they're in front of 6 witnesses--and that includes people whose ideas you haven't stolen (yet) but who learn from what you did to someone else. Teams don't exactly thrive on that lack of trust. I just don't get that mindset. Plus I've learned over the years that if you go out of your way to give people credit, they'll bend over backwards to help you in the future. I just like that approach to work so much better. Soooo... lots going on but things should calm down a bit after next Friday, at least for a little bit.

Anyway, I'm off to play with my boat for a bit, then dogs and I are headed off to Debbie's.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:22 AM   #5736

Quote:
Morning! BTW Jane, do NOT expect my stamp room to look that neat and tidy when you visit, OK? Don't want to set false expectations.
Morning Marge!!!

No worries... if you could see my house right now, you'd say 'please don't be intimidated by how organized my stamp room is...'

Seriously it looks like some terrorist group has been blowing stuff up in my office... sigh.

BTW I think if we hit MN coast of Superior, I will give up on ND for now... after Molly's visit to new vet and starting her on medication, I may leave that for another year. Since I won't have Hawaii anyway for a while, that flight to Minneapolis, drive to Fargo might just make a wacky long weekend with one of my friends in some future year. So instead of going for 49x51, I'll just go for 50x60, relax, and enjoy our trip!!! If you want to leave off MN, I'm fine with that too since I'll most likely fly there to get to Fargo when the time comes.

I figure 48 states is still going to be awesome!
Old 04-13-2013, 06:22 AM   #5737
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampinbb View Post
Incredibly! She already plays on the hs soccer team, but anticipates making Varsity next year as a freshman. She also has hs cheer try outs next week. Really, she could care less about the classes. She plans to maintain her gpa, but she's more about all the new social opportunities that hs can offer. She seems to have outgrown the social aspects of middle school.
This made me smile.

Tell DD that there is an even bigger, even more exciting social opportunity awaiting her on her college campus, so she better keep her grades up.

Oh, that's assuming there's no law passed that she is too young to attend college, of course.
Stampin Wrose likes this post.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:24 AM   #5738
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Morning Marge!!!

No worries... if you could see my house right now, you'd say 'please don't be intimidated by how organized my stamp room is...'

Seriously it looks like some terrorist group has been blowing stuff up in my office... sigh.

BTW I think if we hit MN coast of Superior, I will give up on ND for now... after Molly's visit to new vet and starting her on medication, I may leave that for another year. Since I won't have Hawaii anyway for a while, that flight to Minneapolis, drive to Fargo might just make a wacky long weekend with one of my friends in some future year. So instead of going for 49x51, I'll just go for 50x60, relax, and enjoy our trip!!! If you want to leave off MN, I'm fine with that too since I'll most likely fly there to get to Fargo when the time comes.

I figure 48 states is still going to be awesome!
I think I'm OK doing MN. Then we can follow the Mississipi back down to IL, if I remember my geography right.

Lots of driving though.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:08 AM   #5739
Stazon Splitcoast

OK, I spent 2.5 hours downstairs making a baby card for a guy in the U&D department (Usability & Design) that is having a baby girl. He better appreciate it! I needed it big enough for lots of people to sign so I did an accordion fold. And lots of brown (cuz although it is a baby girl, he's a guy...)
Attached Thumbnails
aunt-bee-013.jpg   aunt-bee-014.jpg  
jmscoping likes this post.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:36 AM   #5740
Glitter Guru

Very pretty card!

I think I need to learn (re-learn?) some techniques to show DD - we don't know how to make an accordian card, and it would have come in handy last week when she made thank you notes for her DI team to sign...

I really do have to get my craft room/office organized so she can do more crafting - she loves it, and it would provide mother/daughter time, too.

There's also a need to claim my space b/c when I was talking with DS about homework I asked if he wanted a desk and he said he did. "Where do you want to put it?" I asked, thinking he would say the playroom or his bedroom, but no "I think the best place would be in your office - it would be nice and quiet and no one is using it"... Ack - I'd be glad to have him do his homework in there, but I want to keep it, too!
Old 04-13-2013, 10:17 AM   #5741
Stazon Splitcoast

I just took 12x12 cardstock and cut it to 5.25 inches. Then on the long 12 inch side I scored every 4 inches. I wanted it a bit longer so I added one more panel (cut a tiny bit larger so I could make a fold and adhered it with red sticky tape. For a real accordion you could add another full 12" strip. The vertical brown strip on the inside is to cover where I adhered the extra panel.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:19 AM   #5742
Stazon Splitcoast

This might help you visualize it (although this is fancier than mine):

Splitcoaststampers - Accordion Card Project Tutorial by Beate Johns
Old 04-13-2013, 10:49 AM   #5743

Quote:
I have been very tempted to separate words from sets and make boxes/clamshells of miscellaneous words. I think they would get used more. Has anyone done this?

The only thing that is stopping me is that then the set is "separated" and what if I ever want to sell it. Which is doubtful, but...
BFF2 does it ALL the time. Even when the words are so close it scares me. I'd rather just mask or something. I'm just really worried cos I'm such a klutz, that I'd butcher something. She's had no problems, though.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:54 AM   #5744

Oh Marge, that's just gorgeous!

Old 04-13-2013, 11:19 AM   #5745
Glitter Guru

Quote:
This might help you visualize it (although this is fancier than mine):

Splitcoaststampers - Accordion Card Project Tutorial by Beate Johns
Thanks
Old 04-13-2013, 11:45 AM   #5746

Quote:

i have separated my sets into birthday words thank you words christmas, friends, valentines, love, etc. i really really like that as I can grab whatever box(es) i'm wanting to do and not have to go through a ton of stuff...

To date 20 completed!

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Old 04-13-2013, 03:47 PM   #5747
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Band Mom

Quote:
No doubt! I have about 13 years or so worth of SU stamps, I've given a few away here and there.

I actually counted clamshells earlier. If I got this right, of SU! I have 451 sets in small to XL clamshells, PLUS 55 Christmas sets, PLUS 62 backgrounds, PLUS 73 word sets, + 52 of the extra small clamshells - some of those are single stamps. I have 43 clamshells of non-SU sets, I used a bunch of the really large clamshells to put some together, like a bunch of St. Pat's stamps or baseball stamps, etc.

I can't consider putting them on their sides like Marge has because I couldn't take the scraping of the clamshells on the shelves!
Well, I'm not too far behind you in having almost 11 years' worth of SU stamps. But you definitely outnumber me in sets owned. When I first put up my shelves about 4 years ago I counted mine and it was around 150 or 175.

My clamshells don't scrape against the shelves enough to bother me. I knew that stacking the boxes on top of each other would annoy me whenever I needed a box at the bottom of the pile.

I have a second bookcase like the one with all my SU stamps, but with less shelves (because I never ordered additional shelves for it). One shelf is completely full of Lizzie Anne Designs sets in CD cases. Another has all my Hero Arts wood mounted stamps, two clamshells of wood mounted stamps from eat cake graphics, and about 10 clamshells of wood mounted stamps from various manufacturers - stuff I'd picked up at Michael's or whatever.

Then I have 3 clamshells stuffed with clear sets from Sweet 'n Sassy Stamps, another clamshell with a few sets from My Favorite Things, and a basket that holds all of my Lawn Fawn sets.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:51 PM   #5748
Band Mom

Quote:

Cute! Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:54 PM   #5749
Band Mom

Quote:

I understand the concept that it could help you ("youniversal") use them more, but I myself could never bring myself to break up a set like that.

I have, however, combined a few of the sentiment sets into one box to help save some space.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:58 PM   #5750
Band Mom

Quote:
OK, I spent 2.5 hours downstairs making a baby card for a guy in the U&D department (Usability & Design) that is having a baby girl. He better appreciate it! I needed it big enough for lots of people to sign so I did an accordion fold. And lots of brown (cuz although it is a baby girl, he's a guy...)
Very nice! The brown is great to tie in the vintage look with the girly stuff.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:48 PM   #5751

I been stampin'!

DH went to work for awhile. I did some dusting and stamping.

Old 04-13-2013, 05:41 PM   #5752

me too!
i'm at my scrapbook retreat i've been going to every other month - i actually have gotten a good bit of stuff done this weekend. i did a couple of pages and now i'm on my 5th card. woohoo!

To date 20 completed!

Old 04-14-2013, 03:31 AM   #5753

Quote:
Originally Posted by PH in VA View Post
My dad's sister inherited the home their parents lived in. Dad couldn't remember exactly when the house was built, but he thought he was about 9 or 10 when they started living there, so that would have been about 1933 or 1934. After my grandma passed away, my aunt and her husband rented the house out to some people.

....But the most endearing thing about going back was when we went in one of the smaller bedrooms upstairs. My grandma had used it like attic storage after her children all moved out, so my cousins and I never played in there. I hadn't realized the room had a closet. But Dad peered into the closet, and pointed toward the back of it and said with a mischievous grin, "That's where Momma and Daddy used to hide our Christmas presents."

The mental picture of my dad as a kid sneaking around to find the Christmas presents just makes me all sniffly.
PH I just went back far enough to read this. It sounds so wonderful to go through and remember so much with your Dad. I'm sad, too, that ODS and YDS didn't want to go but SO glad you did. What a lovely, quiet and enduring connection between you and your Dad.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:40 AM   #5754

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlysonRR View Post
I pulled out clothes I hadn't worn in awhile (I had gained weight ), and they fit!!! I've lost ~50lb (I never weighed myself at my high ) but hadn't thought to try on any old clothes. It's like having a whole new wardrobe!
Isn't that FUN??!

Go Alyson!!!
Old 04-14-2013, 04:59 AM   #5755
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
BFF2 does it ALL the time. Even when the words are so close it scares me. I'd rather just mask or something. I'm just really worried cos I'm such a klutz, that I'd butcher something. She's had no problems, though.
I wasn't thinking so much slicing words off of images. But often sets have separate words in them, which I tend to forget about when I'm looking for words.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:00 AM   #5756
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmscoping View Post
i have separated my sets into birthday words thank you words christmas, friends, valentines, love, etc. i really really like that as I can grab whatever box(es) i'm wanting to do and not have to go through a ton of stuff...
This takes what I was thinking of, one step further. I can see where that would be helpful. Hmmmmm....decisions, decisions.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:04 AM   #5757
Stazon Splitcoast

It is supposed to be above 60 degrees today. But only today. Next week back to cold again.

When I walked Shadow this morning I still needed gloves and my hoodie tied close -- patio thermometer says 40 but it is in the sun; it felt 30.

I really hope it does warm up; would love to sit out with a cup of coffee.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:59 AM   #5758

Quote:
I think I am the only person in the civilized world still without a crockpot.
Actually you're not...

Although after all the dinners Debbie's been cooking in hers, I have one on my 'one of these days' list.

E crock pot recipe I got and adapted to stovetop in big pot is taco soup:

1 lb ground beef (or ground turkey?)
1/2 onion
1 can ro-tel
1 can diced tomatoes (Hunt's I think does an arrabiata diced tomato that spices it up nicely)
1 can corn, drained
1 can black beans, drained
1 packet chili seasoning
I throw in 1/2 lb frozen green beans to up the veggie content, also after caramelizing the onions I make a roux and just use 1 tsp. Pampered Chef SW seasoning instead of the chili mix.

lo-fat cheese & sour cream, green onions for garnish

Caramelize the onions, add beef, cook and drain (I throw a bit of minced garlic in just before the beef).

Put everything in crock pot and cook, or simmer on stove 1 hr and serve over tortilla chips garnished with cheese and a dab of sour cream, sprinkle with green onions.

I cook a giant pot every couple of weeks and freeze some in single-serving sized tupperware to bring to work for lunch.

Nomnom.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:05 AM   #5759
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Actually you're not...

Although after all the dinners Debbie's been cooking in hers, I have one on my 'one of these days' list.

E crock pot recipe I got and adapted to stovetop in big pot is taco soup:
I like the Shore Lunch brand Tortilla Soup mix. Great flavor. It's a dry mix, you add 7 or 8 cups of water and a can of diced tomatoes. I always doctor it up more with cubed leftover chicken, diced peppers & onions. The mix itself has a fantastic flavor.

So for a couple of dollars you have a hearty supper that serves gobs of people (or 2 people with gobs of leftovers). Pick up a baguette to slice with it. Really I like this brand. The creamy wild rice is great too, I doctor it up with leftover chicken and carrots and whatever.

Premium Soup Mixes
Old 04-14-2013, 06:42 AM   #5760

Quote:
It is supposed to be above 60 degrees today. But only today. Next week back to cold again.

When I walked Shadow this morning I still needed gloves and my hoodie tied close -- patio thermometer says 40 but it is in the sun; it felt 30.

I really hope it does warm up; would love to sit out with a cup of coffee.
Yikes Marge. Come on down here--sunny and in the 70s during the day, dipping just below 50 at night. My very favorite weather!