Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree553Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2013, 05:36 PM   #4961
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Why is it that we don't want to touch uncooked chicken? I remember telling my mom that I was going to live next door when I grew up so she could do the chicken. HAHAHA

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 03-16-2013, 05:37 PM   #4962

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewsplendidstamper View Post
Has it been a year? Well, we're going to the zoo tomorrow
Ahhh and a great day for it!

Old 03-16-2013, 05:39 PM   #4963
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Band Mom

I think leprechauns are wreaking havoc with our weather. There's a winter storm watch for tomorrow afternoon through Monday evening, with a chance of 3 to 5 inches of snow. Ferreals.
My Blog ~ Thinking of Inking
My SCS Gallery
Old 03-16-2013, 05:40 PM   #4964
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose View Post
Why is it that we don't want to touch uncooked chicken? I remember telling my mom that I was going to live next door when I grew up so she could do the chicken. HAHAHA
I hate prepping raw chicken. Uck. I cut off every bit of fat but that "joint" gristle stuff on the edge of the breast is just gross to cut out.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:40 PM   #4965
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PH in VA View Post
I think leprechauns are wreaking havoc with our weather. There's a winter storm watch for tomorrow night through Monday night, with a chance of 3 to 5 inches of snow. Ferreals.
Going to be cold all week here too. No spring yet.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:41 PM   #4966
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
The band boosters had a chicken BBQ today.

The boys headed over to the school around 6:30 to help out with it. The earlybirds had been there since 5:00 to get the fires started in the pit and to pull the fat off the chicken (gross!) and make the sauce. YDS helped pretty much with whatever he was told to do. ODS did as many things as he could that did not involve touching unwrapped chicken, LOL. Being a licensed driver with a small SUV proved to be valuable for him today. Ha ha ha

I headed over to the school around 9:15 to help wrap the chicken after it was cooked. Most of the chicken was pre-ordered so I helped get orders together when people came to pick it up, too.

We got rained on only a few times and not for very long, and the day ended up being warmer than we expected, so it wasn't too bad.

But my back and feet are tired.
Busy day, PH.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:48 PM   #4967

Quote:
I think leprechauns are wreaking havoc with our weather. There's a winter storm watch for tomorrow afternoon through Monday evening, with a chance of 3 to 5 inches of snow. Ferreals.
My sister said they had a "freakin blizzard" today. Well she used a different f word. But it doesn't last now, at least.

They had their parade LAST Saturday for some reason, but hey it was smart, it was 20 degrees warmer there last week!

Old 03-16-2013, 05:49 PM   #4968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinois Marge View Post
I hate prepping raw chicken. Uck. I cut off every bit of fat but that "joint" gristle stuff on the edge of the breast is just gross to cut out.
Yeah I don't do that. I buy boneless skinless breasts, that's all I ever get, except if I want to cook a whole chicken at once for some reason.

They cost more but as my sister said once, it's cheaper than eating out!

Old 03-16-2013, 05:56 PM   #4969
Band Mom

Yesterday afternoon and evening our high school hosted the county's elementary school honors choir. The band boosters were asked to coordinate supper for the elementary kids and their teachers and chaperones. So I helped out with that, too. Our fundraising chairmom, W, had gotten everything together for that so I was there to help serve.

Only thing was there was a mixup. We *think* that when W printed out the email she'd received with each school's orders (cheese or pepperoni pizza, and what type of drink), that the paper didn't feed correctly at the page break, because the printout was missing 3 of the participating schools. So we ended up running out of water bottles. Ooops. But somehow she had calculated the pizza so that there were two pizzas left over.

So I got a few big hugs from sweet little Hunter Girl because she was chosen to participate from our elementary school. The music teacher is out on maternity leave so the principal was filling in as teacher/chaperone. There was a slight awkward moment when I was chatting with the principal and Hunter Girl came up and asked me when I'd be at school again. (The principal and secretary are the ones who set up the sub jobs.) I told Hunter Girl that it depends on how often I get called to work, and that sometimes I get called when I have other things going on, but that I hoped I'd get a chance to work in 5th grade before the end of the year so I could see her.
My SCS Gallery
Old 03-16-2013, 05:57 PM   #4970
Band Mom

This coming Wednesday the high school is hosting the district jazz band event. ODS isn't participating because they didn't have auditions for clarinets. But I'll be helping out with dinner for those students too. So right now I have a bunch of soft drinks and water bottles in the back of my Forester.
My SCS Gallery
Old 03-16-2013, 06:04 PM   #4971

Quote:
This coming Wednesday the high school is hosting the district jazz band event. ODS isn't participating because they didn't have auditions for clarinets. But I'll be helping out with dinner for those students too. So right now I have a bunch of soft drinks and water bottles in the back of my Forester.
WHY DO THEY DO THAT! Why no clarinet in jazz? Our HS jazz band did the same thing! Hello!

Artie Shaw? Tommy Dorsey??

Old 03-16-2013, 06:11 PM   #4972
Band Mom

Quote:
My sister said they had a "freakin blizzard" today. Well she used a different f word. But it doesn't last now, at least.

They had their parade LAST Saturday for some reason, but hey it was smart, it was 20 degrees warmer there last week!

Last weekend we had still had several inches of snow on the ground from the March 6 snowstorm.
My SCS Gallery
Old 03-16-2013, 06:17 PM   #4973

No parade, huh?

My home town has a very large parade every year. Just not on St. Pat's Day. It's the Sat. before or, apparently two Saturdays before.

Old 03-16-2013, 06:20 PM   #4974
Band Mom

Quote:
Yeah I don't do that. I buy boneless skinless breasts, that's all I ever get, except if I want to cook a whole chicken at once for some reason.

They cost more but as my sister said once, it's cheaper than eating out!
We buy the boneless, skinless breasts too. But we get the large family packs when they are on sale for $1.99/lb. (or occasionally less). The breasts are so big, I trim them up and then slice them in half, crosswise, to make smaller and thinner portions. So what the store packages up as 6 breasts ends up being two meals of breasts and one meal of "pieces" that I use for stir fry or crock pot chicken or any other recipe where I don't need the breast pieces to be whole.

eta: it's a nasty job that I despise doing, but I prefer to do it myself than to let DH do it. He doesn't trim the chicken the same way I do, so the portions end up larger and don't stretch into as many meals.
My SCS Gallery

Last edited by PH in VA; 03-16-2013 at 06:25 PM..
Old 03-16-2013, 06:27 PM   #4975
Band Mom

Quote:
WHY DO THEY DO THAT! Why no clarinet in jazz? Our HS jazz band did the same thing! Hello!

Artie Shaw? Tommy Dorsey??
Benny Goodman, too.

I think it's to appease the alto sax players who don't make it into All-State Band, so they can one-up the alto clarinet players about something.

(That was TOTALLY tongue-in-cheek!)
My SCS Gallery
Old 03-16-2013, 06:28 PM   #4976
Band Mom

Quote:
No parade, huh?

My home town has a very large parade every year. Just not on St. Pat's Day. It's the Sat. before or, apparently two Saturdays before.
No parade around here. I don't think there are enough people of Irish descent for that.
My SCS Gallery
Old 03-16-2013, 06:29 PM   #4977

Quote:
We buy the boneless, skinless breasts too. But we get the large family packs when they are on sale for $1.99/lb. (or occasionally less). The breasts are so big, I trim them up and then slice them in half, crosswise, to make smaller and thinner portions. So what the store packages up as 6 breasts ends up being two meals of breasts and one meal of "pieces" that I use for stir fry or crock pot chicken or any other recipe where I don't need the breast pieces to be whole.

eta: it's a nasty job that I despise doing, but I prefer to do it myself than to let DH do it. He doesn't trim the chicken the same way I do, so the portions end up larger and don't stretch into as many meals.
I get mine at Costco and use the scale and ziplocs to package them into one pound packages each. I do have to touch them but it's not so bad. When I was little, mom would get the chicken with skin on, and it was just so weird and icky.

Old 03-16-2013, 06:31 PM   #4978

Quote:
No parade around here. I don't think there are enough people of Irish descent for that.
You know what's funny? My BFF back east asked me what pinch-proof meant.

I remember when my kids went to school and told me you'd get pinched if you didn't have green on.

WHAT???? I'd NEVER heard of that. All I can think is, so many people wore green in my city that it never came up!

So I have to explain it when I send a card that has "pinch proof" on it, to hometown friends!

Old 03-16-2013, 06:32 PM   #4979
Band Mom

Our high school and middle school do allow clarinet players in their respective jazz bands, though.

What's annoying is when the high school's only clarinet player is asked to play alto sax because the best alto sax player wants to play the drum set...

The middle school jazz band has been on hiatus since Christmas but will be starting up again now that middle school district assessment is over. (The teacher was using the usual jazz band practice time as additional practice time for the 8th grade band before assessment.) I spoke with the teacher about it today at the bbq and it's looking like YDS will be playing bass clarinet for that. W00t! YDS actually produces a better sound on the bass clarinet than the B-flat; he has a tendency to blow a bit too hard for B-flat, and the extra length of the bass compensates for that.
My SCS Gallery
Old 03-16-2013, 06:38 PM   #4980
Band Mom

Quote:
You know what's funny? My BFF back east asked me what pinch-proof meant.

I remember when my kids went to school and told me you'd get pinched if you didn't have green on.

WHAT???? I'd NEVER heard of that. All I can think is, so many people wore green in my city that it never came up!

So I have to explain it when I send a card that has "pinch proof" on it, to hometown friends!
OH yeah. You have to wear green on St. Patrick's Day or you'll get pinched!

I think it's more of a teasing thing than an actual thing, though. I can't recall anyone actually being pinched because they weren't wearing green.
My SCS Gallery
Old 03-16-2013, 06:42 PM   #4981
Her Royal Awesomeness of Shiner Bock PTA Pirate Land

did i mention the above and beyond FABULOUS weather the past 2 days??? no blizzard in sight! 81 degrees today - sunny - slight breeze????

2013 Scrapping Goal 48 pages
To date 20 completed!

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Old 03-16-2013, 06:44 PM   #4982

Have to tell y'all teh funnies (at least to me) from Rodeo this week.

So I've grown up around horses and cows - knew there was an auction and show for them. different competitions, etc... same for pigs.

knew people bred llamas and alpacas for auction - but didn't know there were competitions and showings for them..

NO CLUE that donkeys and mules were ever considered rodeo animals....

well, let me tell you what. Rodeo Houston is an equal opportunity Rodeo and it competes all animals in all categories...

To date 20 completed!

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Old 03-16-2013, 06:45 PM   #4983
Band Mom

I mentioned middle school band assessment a few posts up.

In a nutshell, the band plays three prepared pieces in the host school's auditorium before three or four judges, who grade the band on their performance. (The first piece is usually considered a warm-up and isn't judged as strictly.) Then they go off into another part of the school - usually a band room or an auxiliary auditorium - and sight read a piece for another judge.

The grades given span from I-Superior to V-Poor.

Our middle school's 8th grade AND 7th grade bands got straight Is.

Mr. Band Teacher is SO proud. This is the first time either band has achieved that.

I can't remember if last year's 7th grade (which would be YDS's grade) received a Superior or Excellent rating overall.
My SCS Gallery
Old 03-16-2013, 06:49 PM   #4984

this particular weekedn was the donkey and mule show.... all the donkeys i saw were miniature ones

So donkeys are evidently scared of coons.... and they will jump to avoid them...

and yes - there is a "coon jumping" competition where they get the donkeys to jump straight up like a freaking rabbit on to this platform...

they have barrel racing on donkeys and mules. they have team racing with donkeys.

they "show" the donkeys adn look at their girth and strides... their backstraps... how they extend and flex.. all categories of horse showing i had no clue they did with mules and donkeys...

they also ride donkeys and mules with english side saddles and compete them that way. i never knew they were anything but pack animals and would wear packs and/or western saddles - but evidently proper "dressage" is very important in mules and donkeys as well as your high dollar arabians.

llamas and alpacas are the same way - they actually have shearing contests to see how fast you can shear an alpaca adn they judge you on the wool and how the bare skin looks afterwards - evidently this is a HUGE deal because you can only shear an alpaca once a year down here...

llamas also have pack contest where you dress them up like a freaking french poodle and put packs on them and run them around the ring like a freaking dog.

i haven't laughed so hard in a long long time.

To date 20 completed!

Old 03-16-2013, 06:50 PM   #4985

Quote:
I mentioned middle school band assessment a few posts up.

In a nutshell, the band plays three prepared pieces in the host school's auditorium before three or four judges, who grade the band on their performance. (The first piece is usually considered a warm-up and isn't judged as strictly.) Then they go off into another part of the school - usually a band room or an auxiliary auditorium - and sight read a piece for another judge.

The grades given span from I-Superior to V-Poor.

Our middle school's 8th grade AND 7th grade bands got straight Is.

Mr. Band Teacher is SO proud. This is the first time either band has achieved that.

I can't remember if last year's 7th grade (which would be YDS's grade) received a Superior or Excellent rating overall.
woohoo!!! awesome!!!!

To date 20 completed!

Old 03-16-2013, 06:51 PM   #4986

Quote:
OH yeah. You have to wear green on St. Patrick's Day or you'll get pinched!

I think it's more of a teasing thing than an actual thing, though. I can't recall anyone actually being pinched because they weren't wearing green.
my cousin patrick would pinch the living snot out of you if you didn't have green on...

To date 20 completed!

Old 03-16-2013, 06:52 PM   #4987
Band Mom

E, I think all that's left to ask you is...

Did you see any prize-winning goats in the back of a pickup truck at Sonic again this year?
My SCS Gallery
Old 03-16-2013, 06:58 PM   #4988

i don't think the donkey and mule committee would ever let me on if i applied. i got run out of the stables way too many times today for cracking up at these animals and the show girls...

i couldn't help it - it was just too freaking funny.

and the grand champion coon jumper is an 18 yo mule that was supposed to have been shot 2 years ago but does such a wonderful job coon jumping that they've kept it just for this... lol

To date 20 completed!

Old 03-16-2013, 06:59 PM   #4989

Quote:
E, I think all that's left to ask you is...

Did you see any prize-winning goats in the back of a pickup truck at Sonic again this year?
lol. no goats at Sonic this year. But I did get up close and personal with several jackasses - and i wasn't even married to any of them...

To date 20 completed!

Old 03-16-2013, 07:26 PM   #4990

Congrats to the band, PH!

E, sounds like a hilarious time!

Old 03-16-2013, 08:42 PM   #4991
Stazon Splitcoast

Just got a call from my cousin in Oil City/Franklin.

The Aunt that I had gone to see in the hospital when I drove out there last week died a few hours ago.

So my dad's family is now all gone. Only one Aunt left (the wife of his youngest brother).
Old 03-16-2013, 08:54 PM   #4992

Quote:

The Aunt that I had gone to see in the hospital when I drove out there last week died a few hours ago.

So my dad's family is now all gone. Only one Aunt left (the wife of his youngest brother).
Oh Marge, I'm so sorry.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:05 AM   #4993

Quote:

Hugs marge

To date 20 completed!

Old 03-17-2013, 07:51 AM   #4994
Stazon Splitcoast

I've been debating whether I'm up for another marathon drive to PA this week. The last trip wiped me out for several days.

I actually think I might do it again (with audiobooks again, those helped!) except that Steve will be in Phoenix. So nobody here to take care of the dog,

I am so glad that I made the extra effort to get up to Titusville to see her in the hospital, even though it added an extra 2 hours R/T driving to detour up there and then back down to I-80 and I was so nervous about the snow storm that was coming in. But am so glad that I did.

Vermont sister has already said she cannot make it, they are doing Kindergarten assessments this week (she is a K teacher now). Hope that NY sister can.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:54 AM   #4995
Stazon Splitcoast

Shadow woke me up 4 times last night. **FOUR. **

Runny poop. Twenty degrees out. After the 7am wakeup, I slept till 10:30am. I cannot even remember the last time I slept that late. But not a restful night with so many interruptions.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:24 AM   #4996

poor shadow. i hope he's okay.

but you know - if you lived near me - it only got down to the upper 50s last night...

To date 20 completed!

Old 03-17-2013, 08:29 AM   #4997
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmscoping View Post
poor shadow. i hope he's okay.

but you know - if you lived near me - it only got down to the upper 50s last night...
Agree that in some months the weather is better.
Not sure I could do the extreme heat in the summers.

And I'm absolutely sure that I couldn't do the political conservatism which is the overall image I get when I think of Texas. Sorry E....
Old 03-17-2013, 09:02 AM   #4998
Stazon Splitcoast

Just got the word that NY sister is going to try to go to Aunt's funeral. Good, I wanted my Dad to be represented.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:48 AM   #4999

Quote:
Agree that in some months the weather is better.
Not sure I could do the extreme heat in the summers.

And I'm absolutely sure that I couldn't do the political conservatism which is the overall image I get when I think of Texas. Sorry E....
Houston has an openly gay female mayor..... and went Democrat last election...

The only thing "radical" I think around here that is different from anywhere else I live is the "oneness" with guns. If you are pro gun control and don't like guns, then Texas isn't for you.

Notice I said nothing about automatic weapons but there are a lot of hand guns and hunting shot guns and rifles. Nobody really talks about them but everyone has them and I would never start a conversation about getting rid of them.... (of course I have enough guns myself that I could start a store..)

Our capital has a CHL entrance so that you can carry at the capital....

Of all the places that I've lived this is certainly the least bible beltish.

There are so many different people in and out with NASA and with the chemical companies that we have a wide range of beliefs and politics...

Though I do think tree hugging environmentalist would feel very out of place here too. Big oil does have a large presence...

To date 20 completed!

Old 03-17-2013, 10:39 AM   #5000

Quote:
I've been debating whether I'm up for another marathon drive to PA this week. The last trip wiped me out for several days.

I actually think I might do it again (with audiobooks again, those helped!) except that Steve will be in Phoenix. So nobody here to take care of the dog,

I am so glad that I made the extra effort to get up to Titusville to see her in the hospital, even though it added an extra 2 hours R/T driving to detour up there and then back down to I-80 and I was so nervous about the snow storm that was coming in. But am so glad that I did.

Vermont sister has already said she cannot make it, they are doing Kindergarten assessments this week (she is a K teacher now). Hope that NY sister can.
I'm glad you got to visit, too. My mom always stressed that it was more important (in her opinion) to visit before they were gone. She didn't even think I was coming in for my dad's funeral!!! I'd been to visit twice that summer (once with each kid) and she thought that was good enough. So she was surprised I wanted to be there. But heck, my dad?