Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree553Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 03:55 PM   #4401
Stazon Splitcoast

The lady across the aisle from me at work already had a bowl of sweet tart jelly beans out. She was raving about them. I wanted to tell her to shut up. And Valentine's Day barely over. I live in a dangerous aisle. Well, actually a dangerous department.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:15 PM   #4402
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Yeah I just need to avoid the "but it's only once a year" things - spring was always bad because that's the only time you could get peeps. That's really no longer true.

So I'll keep telling myself that and stay away from that corner of the store. lol

I do like the spicy jelly beans.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-23-2013, 05:52 PM   #4403
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Band Mom

Peeps... yummmmmmm.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:55 PM   #4404
Band Mom

ODS received unofficial alto clarinet audition results from his band teacher. I don't want to say much until the official results are posted on the Band & Orchestra Directors' Association site. (I've been checking it every half hour. Yes, I'm impatient. See my "location".)

But unless they are making major cuts compared to last year, things look promising for ODS.

We don't know results for any of the other students from his school.

Last edited by PH in VA; 02-23-2013 at 05:59 PM..
Old 02-23-2013, 09:03 PM   #4405
Band Mom

He did it.

My boy qualified as third chair overall of the people who auditioned on alto clarinet.

They accepted four alto clarinets this year.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:14 PM   #4406

Oh, PH, Congratulations to him!

Old 02-24-2013, 05:01 AM   #4407
Her Royal Awesomeness of Shiner Bock PTA Pirate Land

So happy and proud for you ph!! Yay!!

2013 Scrapping Goal 48 pages
To date 20 completed!

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Old 02-24-2013, 05:22 AM   #4408
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PH in VA View Post
He did it.

My boy qualified as third chair overall of the people who auditioned on alto clarinet.

FANTASTIC RESULTS!!
Old 02-24-2013, 05:24 AM   #4409
Stazon Splitcoast

Well, I am up a few pounds (unofficially). Carrot cake, apple tart, Naf Naf for lunch and homemade bread to go with chili last night for supper made for a very back-end loaded week. I was doing great till Wednesday!

Debating going to WW. If I go I'm not weighing in. (Denial or what?)

Anyway, right now doing a quick color touch up on my roots. Could still get to WW meeting by 8:30.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:28 AM   #4410
Directionally Challenged Parrothead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose View Post
That's so cool! Love it!

*wonders if wacko pastor in FL will now start burning Kindles instead of Korans*
Old 02-24-2013, 05:31 AM   #4411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinois Marge View Post
Glad you stayed home to recover. Sounds like things are going fine at the audition. Let us know how it works out!
To add an appreciation of staying home when you don't feel well, friend in mtns called asked me not to come Fri am because she was feeling a little under the weather and didn't want me to catch it.

Turns out she has full blown Norovirus. I am very, very grateful that she talked me out of coming when I said I'd be glad to drive up and bring chicken soup.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:33 AM   #4412

Quote:
Well, the guys are home from the audition. ODS thinks he did "all right".

Results should be posted tonight, but we feel sure that the band teacher will text ODS and the other students from our school as soon as she hears anything. We had 7 students eligible to audition this year, all on different instruments - alto clarinet, bass clarinet, bassoon, flute, trumpet, string bass, and alto saxophone.
Good luck to ODS!!! Waiting with bated breath to hear!

(as opposed to baited breath... in which I'd be gnawing on a hooked worm)
Old 02-24-2013, 05:37 AM   #4413

Quote:
I'm good...sorry I missed your post but I have been cleaning my closet. I have 4 size ranges in there -- 1X, XL, L, M -- and it was simply overrun and I had no idea what fit my current size. I'm dropping back in to an XL it seems. I've lost 14 lbs since mid November when I started back to WW. So I bought 6 big Sterilite storage containers and the too-big go in one; the L and M in 4 others -- and when I drop back to the L I'll swap out again.

This time around I'm not going to be too quick to get rid of the larger sizes. First I want to be sure I can be successful at maintaining the weight for a while.
I have a batch of stuff staged for consignment store--I'll stop on the way home tomorrow to drop it off.

Although I've gained 5lbs back since AFTER Christmas. Grrrr.

I've been better about writing down both everything I spend and everything I eat though, and then going through it all to track where I go off track and pay extra attention. I'm doing MUCH better at work but still struggling with my no food after 8pm rule at home.

When I get hungry I try to remind myself 'this is what it feels like to lose weight.' Which works well unless stress passes a certain threshold. For example when they let contactor go a couple of weeks ago I gained 3 lbs over the weekend after losing 2 earlier in the month. Too much empathy is definitely not a good thing for my resistance to bags of cheesy garlic bread flavored potato chips.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:41 AM   #4414

Quote:
Yeah, I hear some people say get rid of it, it forces you to stay down. But um, that doesn't always work. I got rid of the 2X stuff after I got down to XL, still had the 1X for awhile. I kind of didn't get much in L, just wore stuff a little big til I hit medium. But my range seems to keep me in medium to large so I had to shop for both! After I hit goal and looked, the only thing I had a few items in large were t-shirts.

I don't have to spend much on "good" clothes like you probably do, and Jane, for work. If I did, I'd definitely keep it longer. I still have stuff in sterlite buckets too.

I don't mind getting rid of cheap tops that I got at Target. I don't expect them to last forever.
I'm glad I kept the smaller stuff. I'm somewhere between XL and L at the moment. One thing I like about having kept my 12s and 14s from the 90s is that I know they do more vanity sizing now, so if I can fit into an old 12 I know I'm the same size I was in my 30s when I was thinnest. If I can lose the tum I'll have that curvy hourglass figure again, as opposed to the frog bod. Plus most of what I've worn for the last 20 years has been khakis and various tailored shirts (linen, cotton, silk) so other than a few styling details, it's basically the same wardrobe.

I still have very thin arms and legs, though, and surprisingly, a kind of small butt--gain all my weight up front between my chin and my lower belly, where it's especially flattering.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:43 AM   #4415

Quote:
The lady across the aisle from me at work already had a bowl of sweet tart jelly beans out. She was raving about them. I wanted to tell her to shut up. And Valentine's Day barely over. I live in a dangerous aisle. Well, actually a dangerous department.
Could you stuff a couple up her nostrils? Deb ap weaft fshe wub found kimb uv borky dalkeg about deb all de timb?
Old 02-24-2013, 05:45 AM   #4416

Quote:
Yeah I just need to avoid the "but it's only once a year" things - spring was always bad because that's the only time you could get peeps. That's really no longer true.

So I'll keep telling myself that and stay away from that corner of the store. lol

I do like the spicy jelly beans.
I was bad about that after Valentine's day although one of the things on my list today is to parcel them into small bags I can take to work--each about 60-80 cal of M&Ms or hershey hugs. And then limit myself to 1 bag/day for a treat.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:46 AM   #4417

Quote:
He did it.

Oh PH!!!! BIG Congratulations and W00Tz to ODS!!! Well done!!!
Old 02-24-2013, 05:46 AM   #4418
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Yeah, I hear some people say get rid of it, it forces you to stay down. But um, that doesn't always work. I got rid of the 2X stuff after I got down to XL, still had the 1X for awhile. I kind of didn't get much in L, just wore stuff a little big til I hit medium. But my range seems to keep me in medium to large so I had to shop for both! After I hit goal and looked, the only thing I had a few items in large were t-shirts.

I don't have to spend much on "good" clothes like you probably do, and Jane, for work. If I did, I'd definitely keep it longer. I still have stuff in sterlite buckets too.
Exactly. I got rid of everything XL to 3X. Then, this summer and fall when I was gaining and I was in a 1X again, I had to buy all new capris for the summer and this fall, 4 pairs of new 18W work pants (black, grey, navy, brown) and new sweaters because while a few still fit, most were "too tight" to look professional.

I dress on the upper side of business casual; I chair a lot of meetings; present to Directors and VPs weekly, etc. In a different position I could have gotten by with less. I shop at places like Dress Barn and TJ Maxx so I don't shell out hundreds on one piece, but it frustrated me because I had donated a half dozen pairs of good work pants a few years ago in exactly the size I was rebuying.

It's when I had to inch up to a 20W in November that was the final straw and I rejoined WW again. I only bought 2 pairs of 20W -- black and brown and I was out of those by Christmas. They were the first to go in the Sterilite tubs, LOL

Funny how I saved all the Mediums as I was gaining - too small -- but got rid of all the XL and up as I was losing. Something psychologically significant about that, I'm sure.

My weight issue is like an addiction. I think people who do not struggle with food and weight have trouble understanding that. The stereotype that fat people are lazy, dumb, trailer trash -- well I can say I'm certainly not lazy and dumb! What makes me overeat? Maybe I should see a therapist instead of WW. *Sigh*
Old 02-24-2013, 05:48 AM   #4419

Quote:
Well, I am up a few pounds (unofficially). Carrot cake, apple tart, Naf Naf for lunch and homemade bread to go with chili last night for supper made for a very back-end loaded week. I was doing great till Wednesday!

Anyway, right now doing a quick color touch up on my roots. Could still get to WW meeting by 8:30.
Marge and Wrose, have you used the online WW? I'm thinking about doing that as much for the forums as anything else.

I need to get serious about exercise. I've been SO lax this winter and I have an elliptical sitting right in the back of the living room. On the other hand I've been SO good about rooting through stuff and cleaning and I kind of want to let that run its course before I give myself one more thing to do.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:50 AM   #4420
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy otter View Post
Marge and Wrose, have you used the online WW? I'm thinking about doing that as much for the forums as anything else.
Yes I use online -- but I need the meetings and someone weighing me in for the accountability. Online alone does not work for me. In conjunction with meetings, yes.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:51 AM   #4421
Stazon Splitcoast

Off to shampoo color from my hair. Then I think I will go to WW meeting, even if I take a pass on weighing in. Need the motivation.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:51 AM   #4422
Stazon Splitcoast

Well, I faced the music and weighed in. Up 2 lbs.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:41 AM   #4423

Quote:
Well, I faced the music and weighed in. Up 2 lbs.
Well--you are facing the music and getting out there to do what needs doing. It's a tough commitment, and one that never ends.

I really admire you for that.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:02 AM   #4424
Stazon Splitcoast

Hey Jane....I've seen you post about not eating after 8pm, and I have heard that from others too.

I've been going to WW since Jan 2009. Never once have they said "don't eat at night". They just give you a daily target.

Saw this today, for what it's worth:

4. OLD RULE: NO MIDNIGHT SNACKS

Why you should break it: A recent study in the International Journal of Obesity concluded that subjects didn't gain weight because of when they ate, but what. Metabolism chugs along regardless of time: Eat a healthy dinner at 10 p.m., and you won't scarf Doritos in front of CSI.

New rule: Eat late if you like, but don't exceed your calorie count. Can't close the fridge door? Experiment with different-sized meals, says Susan Roberts, study author and professor of nutrition and of psychiatry at Tufts University. Eating at a certain time isn't important, and there's no rule about how long to wait between meals. But getting too hungry leads to overeating, so "pace calories in a way that works for you."

New Diet Rules: 6 Surprising Ways to Lose Weight | Healthy Living - Yahoo! Shine
Old 02-24-2013, 09:48 AM   #4425
Stazon Splitcoast

Was cutting up some veggies for a low calorie lunch.....look at this carrot!

So just what does it remind you of?
Attached Thumbnails
carrot-001.jpg  
Old 02-24-2013, 10:08 AM   #4426

Quote:
Hey Jane....I've seen you post about not eating after 8pm, and I have heard that from others too.

I've been going to WW since Jan 2009. Never once have they said "don't eat at night". They just give you a daily target.

Why you should break it: A recent study in the International Journal of Obesity concluded that subjects didn't gain weight because of when they ate, but what. Metabolism chugs along regardless of time: Eat a healthy dinner at 10 p.m., and you won't scarf Doritos in front of CSI.

New rule: Eat late if you like, but don't exceed your calorie count. Can't close the fridge door? Experiment with different-sized meals, says Susan Roberts, study author and professor of nutrition and of psychiatry at Tufts University. Eating at a certain time isn't important, and there's no rule about how long to wait between meals. But getting too hungry leads to overeating, so "pace calories in a way that works for you."

New Diet Rules: 6 Surprising Ways to Lose Weight | Healthy Living - Yahoo! Shine
It wasn't a WW rule just something I've learned about myself. If I have dinner and stop, I'm ok for the evening. If I have just one little nibble after 8, especially if I'm getting sleepy, I can't seem to stop myself.

Interesting that other people have found that helpful too. I know they've recently found out that getting too little sleep can be a factor in overeating--I wonder if there's something about getting sleepy that makes us want food? Other than pizza hut commercials in the middle of Hawaii Five O at 10:30pm.

I have to admit that sometimes what's helped me the most hasn't been anything from a book but just kind of a realization about what helps me to the right thing more easily and frequently.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:09 AM   #4427

Quote:
Was cutting up some veggies for a low calorie lunch.....look at this carrot!

So just what does it remind you of?
Either it's crossing its fingers or it represents a new frontier in pornography.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:30 AM   #4428
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Either it's crossing its fingers or it represents a new frontier in pornography.
I was debating between fingers crossed (you can almost make out a fingernail) or it was crossing its legs because it had to pee
Old 02-24-2013, 10:31 AM   #4429
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
It wasn't a WW rule just something I've learned about myself. If I have dinner and stop, I'm ok for the evening. If I have just one little nibble after 8, especially if I'm getting sleepy, I can't seem to stop myself.

Interesting that other people have found that helpful too. I know they've recently found out that getting too little sleep can be a factor in overeating--I wonder if there's something about getting sleepy that makes us want food? Other than pizza hut commercials in the middle of Hawaii Five O at 10:30pm.

I have to admit that sometimes what's helped me the most hasn't been anything from a book but just kind of a realization about what helps me to the right thing more easily and frequently.
Ah, I see, a trigger.

Lots of people set a nighttime "rule" about eating because they think metabolism slows or it doesn't get burned off. But it all works out to calories in, calories out regardless of time of day.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:11 AM   #4430

Quote:
Good luck to ODS!!! Waiting with bated breath to hear!

(as opposed to baited breath... in which I'd be gnawing on a hooked worm)
Warmed my heart to read this. Just like when someone pours over a book, I wonder, what did they ruin their book with??

Old 02-24-2013, 11:19 AM   #4431

Quote:

I'm glad you went, even if you didn't weigh in. You're right, the motivation still helps. And when you know it's because you had most of your calories at the end of the week, it's like you don't want to be punished! lol

Old 02-24-2013, 11:20 AM   #4432

Quote:
To add an appreciation of staying home when you don't feel well, friend in mtns called asked me not to come Fri am because she was feeling a little under the weather and didn't want me to catch it.

Turns out she has full blown Norovirus. I am very, very grateful that she talked me out of coming when I said I'd be glad to drive up and bring chicken soup.
Oh wow, glad you're home fer shure!

Old 02-24-2013, 11:21 AM   #4433

Quote:
I was bad about that after Valentine's day although one of the things on my list today is to parcel them into small bags I can take to work--each about 60-80 cal of M&Ms or hershey hugs. And then limit myself to 1 bag/day for a treat.
My inbox was constantly bombarded with ads from Godiva and Gertie Hawks. I deleted them all. I guess I could have filtered them but most of the time, they are only occasional and they do run decent sales.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:21 AM   #4434

I keep thinking someone is doing construction next door. Nope, just the wind.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:23 AM   #4435

Quote:
Exactly. I got rid of everything XL to 3X. Then, this summer and fall when I was gaining and I was in a 1X again, I had to buy all new capris for the summer and this fall, 4 pairs of new 18W work pants (black, grey, navy, brown) and new sweaters because while a few still fit, most were "too tight" to look professional.

I dress on the upper side of business casual; I chair a lot of meetings; present to Directors and VPs weekly, etc. In a different position I could have gotten by with less. I shop at places like Dress Barn and TJ Maxx so I don't shell out hundreds on one piece, but it frustrated me because I had donated a half dozen pairs of good work pants a few years ago in exactly the size I was rebuying.

It's when I had to inch up to a 20W in November that was the final straw and I rejoined WW again. I only bought 2 pairs of 20W -- black and brown and I was out of those by Christmas. They were the first to go in the Sterilite tubs, LOL

Funny how I saved all the Mediums as I was gaining - too small -- but got rid of all the XL and up as I was losing. Something psychologically significant about that, I'm sure.

My weight issue is like an addiction. I think people who do not struggle with food and weight have trouble understanding that. The stereotype that fat people are lazy, dumb, trailer trash -- well I can say I'm certainly not lazy and dumb! What makes me overeat? Maybe I should see a therapist instead of WW. *Sigh*
I have another little side theory ... when you are losing, people notice and say nice things. After you get there, that happens less often, only people you haven't seen in awhile notice now. Then you get to where it's just how it is. If you gain again, then start losing again, well, you hear good comments again. I'm serious because I've noticed it and I do wonder if it plays into the psychology a little bit! Scares me, though.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:25 AM   #4436

Quote:

I need to get serious about exercise. I've been SO lax this winter and I have an elliptical sitting right in the back of the living room. On the other hand I've been SO good about rooting through stuff and cleaning and I kind of want to let that run its course before I give myself one more thing to do.
Quote:
Yes I use online -- but I need the meetings and someone weighing me in for the accountability. Online alone does not work for me. In conjunction with meetings, yes.

I'm like Marge. I haven't gotten into the forums, I think just because I have the meetings to go to. But the site is full of information and recipes and support.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:28 AM   #4437

Quote:

I've also heard that from people (my trainer told me), and as you said, WW has never said that. And they do TONS of research. They no longer tell you you have to drink 8 glasses of water, for example. They found that (almost) any liquid works. They'll still say water is ideal, but it's no longer a requirement. Which is great because I drink a lot of liquids, but not much water.

I always dismissed it out of hand when someone would put a time on it, because I thought it was illogical to tell ME not to eat after 9 p.m. when I was up until 2 a.m. That might work for the person going to bed by 10 or 11. What about people who work nights, etc. Now if they'd said "don't eat two hours before bed" I might think there was some reason for it.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:31 AM   #4438

Quote:

And yes, being tired DOES have an effect. I had actually learned that myself a few years ago. Days I didn't have enough sleep, it was like my body thought the constant infusion of food would keep it running. About a year later, WW started saying that being tired was NOT good, in fact I've since seen it on TV - "the best thing for weight loss is enough sleep." Headlines like that. As you noted.

Can you have fruit on hand for nights when you get hungry? Not saying you should eat, but you shouldn't have to go hungry either.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:36 AM   #4439

I think we all have to learn our trigger foods, and what works for us. One leader I had, said she couldn't eat bagels and still lose. Didn't matter what the points were. Just something in them. For me, it's beef. I rarely have been but every now and then love a good steak, a filet mignon. I'll get the smallest one the place has and surround it with salad and veggies. But if I have beef twice a week, I won't lose that week no matter what.

Also a friend of mine noticed that if she dug into a bag of treats that had fructose in them, the whole bag would disappear. The more natural stuff she'd grab at Trader Joe's, she could eat a few and put it down. Only recently did they discover that the fructuse stuff lacks the "whatever it's called" that tells us we're full. (Okay they had all the technical terms right, lol.) So indeed it's easy to eat a bag of something when our head never gets the "that's enough" message.

Man this is good to talk about, I need to hear it myself. I gotta lose like 15 pounds. I know getting back to regular walking will help; hopefully when I start again tomorrow, I won't be in such pain. Sux getting old.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:32 PM   #4440

Quote:
I was debating between fingers crossed (you can almost make out a fingernail) or it was crossing its legs because it had to pee
LOL!

I should have thought more about the second, given how frequently it happens to me! I did see the fingernail, though, that's what made me think crossed fingers!