Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree553Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2013, 01:11 PM   #3961
Stazon Splitcoast

So I hate to tell the demo but I probably won't sign up again. I think this club ends in April or May?? Not sure.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:12 PM   #3962
Stazon Splitcoast

I need a nap. Feeling grumpy.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:34 PM   #3963
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinois Marge View Post
Was really tired last night. Was dragging after work -- went straight to SU hostess club. Cards were so-so which didn't help pump me up. Honestly when the club ends, I don't know if I will re-join. I am running out of stuff to buy.
Meh, don't make the commitment and then if you want something once in a blue moon, you can just get it.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-16-2013, 01:36 PM   #3964

Quote:
Shadow woke me up at 6:15am for his walk. Grrrrrrrrrr

Hard to ignore him.
Awwww, dogs are like that. lol

Old 02-16-2013, 01:40 PM   #3965

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy otter View Post
Ack, that was quite a rant!

Marge, if it makes you feel any better, Molly and Sonny DIDN'T wake me up at 6:30am like they usually do. I slept straight through till amost 9 which is pretty unheard-of for me.

Of course Molly dealt with it by peeing on my bedroom carpet. Sigh...

I guess they must have thought I needed the sleep because in 9 years with Molly I think that's maybe the second time she's ever done that. Usually if she doesn't start whimpering to get me up, or if she does and I sleep through it, Sonny will jump on the bed and stick his wet nose in my ear.
Yep them's our dogs alright!

Glad you got some extra sleep.

Old 02-16-2013, 01:42 PM   #3966

Quote:
Your SU rant pretty much sums up how I feel.

Love their quality product, love their designs and cardstock. But after (10?) years I have everything, or "similar" to everything and 70% of what I have doesn't get used. And I stamp quite a bit!!!

Have so darn much of it. So when designs get recycled it gets really hard to find something fresh to buy -- our hostess club commitment is only $25/month but sometimes I resort to dimensionals, white card stock, envelopes -- something practical because, well just because.

The spring mini had some nice stuff but I bought what I wanted to get to my $50 SAB order in January. So last night was scratching my head. And I forced myself to $50 again but then got irritated with myself because there was not one free SAB set/item that I really even wanted. I went with the clear Victorian buttons. Which are much too bumpy to mail.
Yeah they sure do recycle images of flowers. There are a couple of sets I have that I keep seeing again and I just stick to my old one. I guess if I were an active business demo, I'd get rid of the old one and get the new one. But I'm not.

Old 02-16-2013, 01:43 PM   #3967
Directionally Challenged Parrothead

Holy cow--thunder + snow here!

I was out with the dogs--big plinking fat raindrops coming down slow and steady. Then all of a sudden a huge gust of wind blew in and with it--blizzardy snow. One of the most amazing changes I've ever seen in an instant like that. I've seen it happen with a rainstorm starting but never with a change from slow fat raindrops to snow like that. Literally by the time we came in from the yard--5 min max--we were leaving footprints, and the roofs across the street have gone white in 10 min. Just the oddest and most amazing thing!
Old 02-16-2013, 01:43 PM   #3968

Quote:
So I hate to tell the demo but I probably won't sign up again. I think this club ends in April or May?? Not sure.
Do it! You are doing a lot of cool things with cards that have nothing to do with SU! Don't worry about it. Look at your stuff and see if there are any basic supplies you want to replenish, and get them the next month or two and be done with it.

Old 02-16-2013, 01:44 PM   #3969

Quote:
Holy cow--thunder + snow here!

I was out with the dogs--big plinking fat raindrops coming down slow and steady. Then all of a sudden a huge gust of wind blew in and with it--blizzardy snow. One of the most amazing changes I've ever seen in an instant like that. I've seen it happen with a rainstorm starting but never with a change from slow fat raindrops to snow like that. Literally by the time we came in from the yard--5 min max--we were leaving footprints, and the roofs across the street have gone white in 10 min. Just the oddest and most amazing thing!
Thunder snow!!!!!!!!

Wow that is amazing.

Old 02-16-2013, 01:45 PM   #3970

I have the feeling my dinner plans are canceled. I know the Subie could handle it but if this keeps up for another couple of hours, given that this place basically deals with snow by shutting down, I'm pretty sure the restaurant will close, LOL.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:53 PM   #3971

Quote:
I have the feeling my dinner plans are canceled. I know the Subie could handle it but if this keeps up for another couple of hours, given that this place basically deals with snow by shutting down, I'm pretty sure the restaurant will close, LOL.
LOL

Yeah no point going if they're closed!

Old 02-16-2013, 02:01 PM   #3972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose View Post
Yeah they sure do recycle images of flowers. There are a couple of sets I have that I keep seeing again and I just stick to my old one. I guess if I were an active business demo, I'd get rid of the old one and get the new one. But I'm not.
By this point it seems more than a little lazy to me. If you're going to do that to the demos, at least come up with some designs that are new and different enough to get folks excited. Especially if you're counting on demos to be part of your crew for the long haul.

It's funny because I've talked to several other friends who've done home marketing stuff--not just SU but Pampered Chef, 31 bags, Silpada--and all of us have had that sense, after a few years, of hitting the wall with it because after a while, you kind of saturate the market with your stuff. Plus right now there are SO many home market companies out there that even if you're trying to behave and avoid getting aggressive about it with your friends, so many other people don't have that sense of restraint about it, so I guess even people who like having the parties get burnt out on home marketing parties period. Even if they like your stuff, they've kind of saturated THEIR friends. I haven't had a jewelry show for 8-9 months. The last 2 I tried to do--one for Debbie, one here, just went phthhhpptt.

I'm down to my one stamp camp group every couple of months and I work really hard to keep things fresh and different for them--they basically fund my habit, although they don't buy from me (except for indirectly by funding reams of paper, new sets and embellishments). I'll bring the catty and ask them to look for sets they'd like to try using, and I try to introduce a different technique each time, although that's going to get harder. We do one new tech and then a couple of easy cards so they can stretch a bit but still go home with 9 cards each time. Then by the time they come back they're ready to build another stash. I don't want them to get bored because I love the design challenge of starting from what they like and adding something that gives them that sense of expanding what they can do.

But I'm pretty sure the reason they're still going strong is that it's $20 a pop and they don't have to do anything but show up and have fun. I love doing both stamping and jewelry stuff--I really love the merchandise in both cases. But it's kind of interesting to me that over the last couple of years, everyone I know who does this has had that same sense of customers just burning out on it.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:02 PM   #3973

Holy cow--GIANT huge swirly beautiful snowflakes!!!! WHEEEEEEEE!!!!

So Marge, I'm thinking it's way easier to be excited when you know there's a 99% chance it will all have melted in 2 days. Sigh.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:15 PM   #3974

Quote:
LOL

Yeah no point going if they're closed!
Yup. The snow removal strategy here is 'stay home till it melts.' I guess we don't get enough that it's worth having a budget for keeping the roads passable.

Wagony will make it--driving it in the snow doesn't scare me a bit. Driving in the snow with freaking maniacs who either drive 2mph because they're TERRIFIED and convinced they'll die and the idiots who get a 2wd Pathfinder or Explorer and don't need to increase their following speed or braking distance, on the other hand, terrifies me.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:27 PM   #3975

I think SU is bringing the old images back because of new demos, and they don't care about the long-term demos. At least not the hobby ones.

You know these monthly anniversary sets? They're bringing back sets of "best image" from different sets. So each image is from some different old set, with one new image. The February one, I have EVERY image but the one new one.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:29 PM   #3976

Quote:
Yup. The snow removal strategy here is 'stay home till it melts.' I guess we don't get enough that it's worth having a budget for keeping the roads passable.

Wagony will make it--driving it in the snow doesn't scare me a bit. Driving in the snow with freaking maniacs who either drive 2mph because they're TERRIFIED and convinced they'll die and the idiots who get a 2wd Pathfinder or Explorer and don't need to increase their following speed or braking distance, on the other hand, terrifies me.
Yep. I don't think Atlanta ever had any equipment to deal with snow or ice, either, and they get hit once or twice a year. Usually an ice storm.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:03 PM   #3977
Her Royal Awesomeness of Shiner Bock PTA Pirate Land

Quote:
I think SU is bringing the old images back because of new demos, and they don't care about the long-term demos. At least not the hobby ones.

You know these monthly anniversary sets? They're bringing back sets of "best image" from different sets. So each image is from some different old set, with one new image. The February one, I have EVERY image but the one new one.
me too!

marge - there are enough of us that are still demos (wrose, me, v) - finish up your commitment and then if you need anything order from us.
i always get a case of catties and always have some left over - by the way, PH PLEASE tell me you finally got yours.... so you're covered.

2013 Scrapping Goal 48 pages
To date 20 completed!

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Old 02-16-2013, 03:05 PM   #3978

did i mention i walked my first 5K. i didn't do anything noble like V and raise money - i just walked for myself.

for exercise, for the chance to say i've done something cool with friends, to get out of the house.

i had a great time - i'll do another one.

i wish dh would do so - but he's driving the 0.2 miles to the lake so he can sit in his chair and fish. he considers the distance from teh truck to the water his exercise....

To date 20 completed!

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Old 02-16-2013, 03:13 PM   #3979

E! Nice to see you.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:14 PM   #3980

you should have seen me this morning... lol! i looked like a smurf / oompa loompa.

To date 20 completed!

Old 02-16-2013, 03:14 PM   #3981

Glad you made the 5K, it's not bad, is it. I was nervous the first time WW was "sponsoring" one a couple years ago, then realized I was doing close to that already on the treadmill. Not so bad after all.

I just need to get back to that point.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:14 PM   #3982

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmscoping View Post
you should have seen me this morning... lol! i looked like a smurf / oompa loompa.
Oooh that's right, cold!!!

Old 02-16-2013, 03:35 PM   #3983

yeah - i've been doing that distance on my elliptical machine for a long time - but i was worried with my foot how it would react to being on the pavement....

it did okay - no pain. going to do another one in march!

To date 20 completed!

Old 02-16-2013, 04:16 PM   #3984

Quote:
did i mention i walked my first 5K. i didn't do anything noble like V and raise money - i just walked for myself.

for exercise, for the chance to say i've done something cool with friends, to get out of the house.

i had a great time - i'll do another one.

i wish dh would do so - but he's driving the 0.2 miles to the lake so he can sit in his chair and fish. he considers the distance from teh truck to the water his exercise....
E!!! Congratulations! I saw that on FB! Loved the colors! They had one of those here but I found out they throw chalk dust and it didn't seem like best thing for asthma.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:17 PM   #3985
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Band Mom

Quote:
Your SU rant pretty much sums up how I feel.

Love their quality product, love their designs and cardstock. But after (10?) years I have everything, or "similar" to everything and 70% of what I have doesn't get used. And I stamp quite a bit!!!

Have so darn much of it. So when designs get recycled it gets really hard to find something fresh to buy -- our hostess club commitment is only $25/month but sometimes I resort to dimensionals, white card stock, envelopes -- something practical because, well just because.

The spring mini had some nice stuff but I bought what I wanted to get to my $50 SAB order in January. So last night was scratching my head. And I forced myself to $50 again but then got irritated with myself because there was not one free SAB set/item that I really even wanted. I went with the clear Victorian buttons. Which are much too bumpy to mail.
I hear you. I was kind of relieved when my local demo stopped having stamp clubs a few years ago because I was having a hard time figuring out what to order - and we were only meeting every other month. The only down side I've found from not being in a club is not having a chance to get together in person with other stampers any more.

V and E have been kind enough to supply me with catalogs and minis (and E, yes, I did get the IB&C - I thought I told you when it arrived with the cardstock, and if I didn't, I apologize). Ordering through them online has been mostly easy, and the items are shipped straight to me.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:20 PM   #3986
Band Mom

E, hooray for you for completing your 5K!
Old 02-16-2013, 04:21 PM   #3987
Band Mom

So... what do you call a vegetable that's not that great?

Mediokra.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:22 PM   #3988

Although it would have been entertaining to hack up technicolor bits of lung, LOL... I'll bet you could have some fun in the emergency room doing that!
Old 02-16-2013, 04:24 PM   #3989

Quote:
Is that why you weren't wearing the cute tutu outfit all your friends had on?

Old 02-16-2013, 04:26 PM   #3990

Quote:
Originally Posted by PH in VA View Post
So... what do you call a vegetable that's not that great?

Mediokra.
LULZ! Is YDS at it again?

Ask him what you call a vegetable that interviews celebrities.

Okra Winfrey.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:29 PM   #3991

Quote:
yeah - i've been doing that distance on my elliptical machine for a long time - but i was worried with my foot how it would react to being on the pavement....

it did okay - no pain. going to do another one in march!
whooohooo e!!!!

And thanks for the inspiration!!!!

I was up to 50-60 mi/month last summer... hovering around 7-8 miles FOR THE WHOLE MONTH last couple which is major weaksauce.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:31 PM   #3992
Band Mom

Quote:

Okra Winfrey.

Yes, that was YDS entertaining us at supper.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:38 PM   #3993

You'll have to let me know if YDS likes the Okra Winfrey joke!
Old 02-16-2013, 04:38 PM   #3994

Back to cleaning...
Old 02-16-2013, 04:46 PM   #3995

Quote:
Is that why you weren't wearing the cute tutu outfit all your friends had on?

i don't do tutus.... lol!

i wasn't originally supposed to be walking with that group - they adopted me after one friend pulled her hamstring pretty badly earlier this week and the other had an emergency hysterectomy...

they've all done several of these as well as 2 avon walks.... so i was waaaayyyyy out of their league - but luckily there were enough people that there were no "times" to be had...

and we throw corn starch. it really wasn't that bad as far as breathing goes - and you could stay out of the colour some if you really wanted to.

To date 20 completed!

Old 02-16-2013, 05:18 PM   #3996
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PH in VA View Post
The only down side I've found from not being in a club is not having a chance to get together in person with other stampers any more.
Actually, that's why I joined this one. It's a trek to get over there after work, but it was a "guarantee" that I would see my two Elmhurst stamping buddies at least once a month. What I found after I moved out here is that it was getting to be seeing them only maybe twice a year. So this also served that purpose.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:21 PM   #3997
Stazon Splitcoast

In the summer when my walking group goes to the various forest preserves, it's pretty much always a 5K (informally) every weekend or so. I used to think it was a long distance until the Weight Watcher challenge in 2009 or 2010. I can see how with your foot surgeries, E, that is a good feeling to do one!!
Old 02-16-2013, 05:37 PM   #3998

Oh Marge, I see what you mean about seeing old friends. Is that enough to keep you in the group?

Old 02-16-2013, 07:07 PM   #3999
Band Mom

Quote:

Okra Winfrey.
His response to the question was "Medee-Oprah". LOL!

ODS is watching the - well, it used to be called the Budweiser Shootout, but they've changed the name of it. It's the race they do for fun and only the drivers who won the pole last season, and past winners of this race, are in it. But anyway, since it's the beginning of the NASCAR season, I relived with ODS the question from last February...

How many NASCAR drivers does it take to start a jet dryer fire?

Only Juan.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:11 PM   #4000

Quote:
In the summer when my walking group goes to the various forest preserves, it's pretty much always a 5K (informally) every weekend or so. I used to think it was a long distance until the Weight Watcher challenge in 2009 or 2010. I can see how with your foot surgeries, E, that is a good feeling to do one!!
I'm definitely missing summer exercise... especially when it involves water and a good paddle.

Oh goodness, someone's going to perv that, aren't they?

(coming soon: my first novel, 50 shades of kayaking... )