Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2011, 01:38 PM   #961
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via AIM to nhagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyLuvsMickey View Post
It wasn't the drivers... It was the snowplows who didn't plow the interstate, so the snow turn to ice and it was slicker than an ice staking rink...

I got about 15 minutes away from work when traffic came to a halt on the interstate for about 20 minutes... It was nothing but a huge parking lot... We had salt trucks passing us on the shoulders trying to get in front of all the vehicles so they could salt the roads...

When we finally started moving again, my car was idling faster than we were moving and every time I touched the brakes to slow down, my car slid on the ice... What fun!!!

I'd rather have lots of inches of snow, at least the snowplows do their jobs then!!!
Ugh, what a disaster. You'd think the salt trucks would have come before the commute traffic started or even better they plowed!
Crafting When We Can
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-12-2011, 02:57 PM   #962
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh Nancy! Around here they start treating the roads before the snow hits. They try to prevent the ice. My brother, salts, sands and plows so it is great for him. My boys have another snow day. There is a lot of snow, it has snowed all day. DH just got home and is cleaning the cars off. The kids shoveled but didn't do the cars. My back is not happy with me right now so I am not taking a chance. I am trying to get my oldest to get back out there now, but he is resisting-so dh is not too happy. He worked all day,they just don't get it.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:38 PM   #963
Stazon Splitcoast

We're finally seeing road again here. Thre are still a lot of wet/black ice spots - wet during the day & black ice at night. The ground still has plenty of the 2" we received but it's beginning to melt there too. Woo Hoo - bring on the 50's again or better yet Spring!
Old 01-12-2011, 06:49 PM   #964
Watercolor Wizard

We plowed for 3 hours again tonight. A few of the company houses have driveways that drift pretty easy and require a lot of TLC in crappy weather. It has snowed here most of the day but it really didn't amount to much of anything today. It's the many inches we got already blowing around and drifting that's the problem! DH hates to follow snowplows. He much prefers the drifted untouched back roads on our plowing route, but I think that's the little boy in him still! LOL I'm making a trip to the local scrap book store tomorrow when I go to the pharmacy. I need 4 sheets of paper...think I can get out of the store with only those 4 sheets? haha..not a chance...she always has new paper in I have to have! It's only been about a week or so since I was there so maybe there's nothing new, but then again there could be something I missed...better check the whole store out just to be on the safe side!

http://www.paperpiecingsbynikki.com/.../NEW-ITEMS.htm
Old 01-12-2011, 06:57 PM   #965
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

We have 2 feet of snow on the ground. The town showed up at 2pm to plow. They plowed one pass early in the day and then did a much better job at 2. The kids have no school tomorrow. It snowed all day and they just couldn't keep up I guess. The boys are thrilled of course!
Old 01-12-2011, 07:13 PM   #966
Watercolor Wizard

I think sometimes it's much easier to wait until it's all down before you start pushing it around...especially in the case of an ongoing storm. However, the company house have to be clear at all times in case an emergency arrises. DH and I have hogged in through unplowed horrible miserable roads an ambulance probably couldn't get through to clear the driveways. I know if there is an emergency the state or township will plow the way in for the emergency vehicle so we are always prepared...just in case. So far (knocking on wood) we haven't had to have an ambulance out in a bad snowstorm anywhere! Hopefully, we never will!

I know my kids were always happy to have a snow day too. Enjoy it while it lasts...until Kaylee goes to school we don't have snowdays unless the tech school Eric attends for Electrical would happen to close. Like they should of today when everything around them closed down!

Old 01-12-2011, 07:33 PM   #967
Stazon Splitcoast

All mine are out of school but I think the schools in our county were open until 11:30 on Monday (1/2 day) then have been closed each day since including tomorrow. I ran into a lady I went to high school with - oh so many years ago. We were discussing all the snow days. We had school kids 16-19 year olds driving our buses and I can't remember a wreck and we didn't have so many kids driving themselves to school either. We also didn't have teacher workdays. We didn't get out of school early because it was too cold in a classroom or because it was too hot - we dealt with it. We also had music and art classes that they are trying to cut now so I guess we are raising some really smart wimps who wouldn't know the primary colors if they were put in front of them. We, as crafters, need to teach them the difference. LOL
Old 01-13-2011, 04:44 AM   #968
Watercolor Wizard

Donna don't forget about the sports programs schools are cutting too! In the age of computers and video games I think sports are the last thing that should be cut. There are too many overweight people including myself and keeping kids active should be a concern. However, not like our school district voices their concern! I received a letter in the mail (Charli's junior or beginning of her Senior year) from the school telling me Charli was overweight based on her BMI and as a parent I should be concerned about this. Charli was a size 3 or 5 depending on the jeans. I was hot! I called the school and asked if they would like to see overweight because I would be glad to come visit, and asked them how they justify sending something like that to me about my size 3-5 child. It's amazing that we wonder why all these teenagers suffer from eating disorders and such when the school system tells a skinny child they are overweight - not just a little the had her placed in the upper 80% range! There answer was students that are athletic score differently because of muscle mass and not to be alarmed because she knew who Charli was and I shouldn't be worried at all...like that's the reason I called...I guess she just didn't get it that it was inappropriate to tell these kids things like that! The best part of the whole story as parents and children started talking about these letters is we find out the only students that had BMI test done were during sports physicals, which the school had told me these kids score differently.....I still don't understand the logic on that one! Don't get me wrong Donna I do agree that art and music are very important also. Every child excells at something different and they need options to explore. I guess we haven't really had a problem with those things being cut at our school....yet. Our art program is actually pretty good with wood, metal, airbrush....kids have options. They don't offer photography anymore like they did when I was in school so I'd not be a happy camper now! My girlfriend and I spent hours after school and during study halls in the dark room developing pics for the school paper...I think that's when I fell in love with the SLR camera, which today I still own one but it's digital so you can run it auto or set your setting yourself. I still love to take pictures of strange things that interest me in nature like close ups of wildlife and flowers with bees in them, old pumping jacks for oil, weddings, senior pics, etc. I never take any money for it and won't be "the photographer" at a wedding even though I've been asked dozens of times because people have seen my pics. It's too much pressure knowing that if your pics don't turn out you ruined their day. I prefer to have fun and shoot things the other photographer isn't and I think that's why I get such good pics...no pressure..

Old 01-13-2011, 04:50 AM   #969
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducki View Post
We plowed for 3 hours again tonight. A few of the company houses have driveways that drift pretty easy and require a lot of TLC in crappy weather. It has snowed here most of the day but it really didn't amount to much of anything today. It's the many inches we got already blowing around and drifting that's the problem! DH hates to follow snowplows. He much prefers the drifted untouched back roads on our plowing route, but I think that's the little boy in him still! LOL I'm making a trip to the local scrap book store tomorrow when I go to the pharmacy. I need 4 sheets of paper...think I can get out of the store with only those 4 sheets? haha..not a chance...she always has new paper in I have to have! It's only been about a week or so since I was there so maybe there's nothing new, but then again there could be something I missed...better check the whole store out just to be on the safe side!
Oh yes, you better check the whole store. You never know what you might find! LOL
Crafting When We Can
Old 01-13-2011, 04:56 AM   #970
Stazon Splitcoast

I guess we are pretty lucky. The school district's here still have lots of sports, art and music. They even increased the amount of PE the kids have in elementary school.
Crafting When We Can
Old 01-13-2011, 09:39 AM   #971
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhagen View Post
Oh yes, you better check the whole store. You never know what you might find! LOL
Well, I made it out of the store with money left - surprise, surprise! However, it cost me almost 32.00 to get out the door! I had to though cause she had some ribbon I had to have (shiny of course), the perfect cowgirl paper for the pics I took the other day of Kaylee, an awesome chipboard layered "wanna be a cowgirl" layered embellie with shiny gems the whole way around it, a storybook for babies you put their pics in, oh yea I got the paper I needed too! LOL

I didn't even go into the front half of the store, which is probably a good thing!

Old 01-13-2011, 10:52 AM   #972
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Well, I made it out of the store with money left - surprise, surprise! However, it cost me almost 32.00 to get out the door! I had to though cause she had some ribbon I had to have (shiny of course), the perfect cowgirl paper for the pics I took the other day of Kaylee, an awesome chipboard layered "wanna be a cowgirl" layered embellie with shiny gems the whole way around it, a storybook for babies you put their pics in, oh yea I got the paper I needed too! LOL

I didn't even go into the front half of the store, which is probably a good thing!
Cool! I can't wait to see the lo!!
Crafting When We Can
Old 01-13-2011, 10:56 AM   #973
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Cool! I can't wait to see the lo!!
All the goodies are on Charli's scrappin table for her to do...unless she wants Grandma to help with that one. Our styles are a lil different. She does awesome work but we see things a little differently. This ios actually good though because when one of us have trouble with a lo and ask the others opinion it's almost always the way we end up putting the page together. I guess we are different yet similar....

Old 01-13-2011, 05:29 PM   #974
Stazon Splitcoast

Ducki,

I so agree with you and the sports as well. We don't seem to have that big of a problem with loosing them so much here. But a letter for high BMI for a kiddo sized 3-5 ***! I have a thigh that might weigh as much as that. LOL DD1 is a size 4-6 and has had 2 babies & el preggo with #3 and weighs 108.4 (I think that was her last weight). She'd love to gain weight, but I guess I should tell her about the BMI issue. I know she'd laugh & so would our chiropractor, who is also a nutritionalist.

DD1, DGD & I are going on a short road trip tomorrow. I have to go pick up some CPR mani's for a class next week & then to a couple of craft stores as well. Love spending the day with some of my girls.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:32 PM   #975
Watercolor Wizard

My DGD is going with Mommy & Daddy to her other Grandmas tomorrow and won't be home til Monday night....what am I gonna do?

Old 01-13-2011, 05:34 PM   #976
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
My DGD is going with Mommy & Daddy to her other Grandmas tomorrow and won't be home til Monday night....what am I gonna do?
Actually get some sleep for a few nights.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:38 PM   #977
Watercolor Wizard

Maybe it will snow and we will have to plow! I know when she isn't here I sleep worse! I can't seem to fall asleep and then I wake up a lot listening for the monitor...duh...no baby in the house...no monitor turned on!

We took her to the MIL's tonight because it was snowing a little and the kids had some errands to run. They came and got her when they got back and when we left I told DH I feel like I'm forgetting something since we came with a baby! LOL

Old 01-14-2011, 03:47 AM   #978
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Maybe it will snow and we will have to plow! I know when she isn't here I sleep worse! I can't seem to fall asleep and then I wake up a lot listening for the monitor...duh...no baby in the house...no monitor turned on!

We took her to the MIL's tonight because it was snowing a little and the kids had some errands to run. They came and got her when they got back and when we left I told DH I feel like I'm forgetting something since we came with a baby! LOL
Ah! She'll be back soon! Maybe you should scrap those cowgirl pix while she's gone!
Crafting When We Can
Old 01-14-2011, 10:15 AM   #979
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Ah! She'll be back soon! Maybe you should scrap those cowgirl pix while she's gone!
I'm working on round 1 wide borders for doorknocker3 - Dorlene's swap. She has such neat ideas for swaps! I'm excited cause I'm even hosting round 2. It's fun only making the border and making it bigger as a stand alone! I won't scrap any of Kaylee's pics without Charli here.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:58 AM   #980
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi all, I am excited to report that I joined weight watchers today. I have never done it and am looking forward to the challenge.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:54 PM   #981
Watercolor Wizard

Well you better not become a weight watchers addict only! We can't afford to lose any of the swap addicts!

Old 01-15-2011, 05:11 AM   #982
Stazon Splitcoast

You'd think scrapping would replace eating but I haven't found that to be the case.
Crafting When We Can
Old 01-15-2011, 07:36 AM   #983
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
You'd think scrapping would replace eating but I haven't found that to be the case.
I'm with you! Though I have to say I probably don't eat as much while I'm crafting.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:43 AM   #984
Watercolor Wizard

I can honestly say I don't take food in the craft room. I'm afraid since I'm a slopper I'll get stuff on my work. I will have a drink out there but it's on a separate stand. Sometimes I get so involved I forget to eat. I had to rush out of the house last night when I was in the scrap room and came home today to find I left my electric heater on in there all night long! It was nice and warm in there...I really wanted to stay...or go take a nap....but we gotta finish the beef processing! By the time I get home it will be chilly in there again! boo hoo!

Old 01-16-2011, 06:25 AM   #985
Glitter Guru

Here's my update for the week...
~ exercised 4 times...
~ got 7 double page layouts done...
~ 1 chiro appointment... I needed it...
~ 1 hearing test appointment... DS2 passed with flying colors... YEAH!!!
~ 1 day with a sick child... I think it was food poising from the birthday party she went to...
~ submitted warranty fix to iPod... Send iPod to Apple... Get iPod back from Apple... All in 4 days from start to finish...
~ bought 2 cricut cartridges - it's all Pia's fault!!!
~ got a new vacuum cleaner and I'm in love with it!!! I thought my house was clean until I vacuumed with it... Holey Moley!!! The stuff it picked up!!! Eeeewww and OMG!!!

Tomorrow is a holiday for us and DD has an eye doctor appointment and we're supposed to get snow again... Nothing major, just enough to mess up the roads...
Old 01-16-2011, 06:29 AM   #986
Glitter Guru

Pia...

Good for you for joining Weight Watchers... When you reach your goal, you need to post before and after pictures...

I don't eat more when I craft, but I move less... That's why I'm trying to find a happy medium between exercising and crafting... Because too crafting is bad for my mid section...
Old 01-16-2011, 06:55 AM   #987
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Here's my update for the week...
~ exercised 4 times...
~ got 7 double page layouts done...
~ 1 chiro appointment... I needed it...
~ 1 hearing test appointment... DS2 passed with flying colors... YEAH!!!
~ 1 day with a sick child... I think it was food poising from the birthday party she went to...
~ submitted warranty fix to iPod... Send iPod to Apple... Get iPod back from Apple... All in 4 days from start to finish...
~ bought 2 cricut cartridges - it's all Pia's fault!!!
~ got a new vacuum cleaner and I'm in love with it!!! I thought my house was clean until I vacuumed with it... Holey Moley!!! The stuff it picked up!!! Eeeewww and OMG!!!

Tomorrow is a holiday for us and DD has an eye doctor appointment and we're supposed to get snow again... Nothing major, just enough to mess up the roads...

hahaha...what kind of vacuum did you get? I have had bad luck with vacuums lately. I just bought and Oreck (I broke down). It really sucks LOL!!
Crafting When We Can
Old 01-16-2011, 09:41 AM   #988
Watercolor Wizard

just checking in real quick to see what's going on. I'm not interested in cleaning today so no vacuum talk here! We just finished cutting our beef and DH is grinding now and then it will be hours of wrapping for freezing....but It sure is yummy & this particular steer chased me this summer so I was glad to see him go!!!!! I NEVER had that problem with any of the cattle so I put the bullseye on that sucker earlier this year! LOL

Old 01-16-2011, 01:23 PM   #989
Glitter Guru

NancyH ~ I bought this one... And I love it!!!

Eureka Bagless Upright Vacuum, AirSpeed, AS1000A - Walmart.com

Ducki ~ We butcher on Black Friday since everyone is home for Thanksgiving... That way we have lots of help cutting, trimming and wrapping...
Old 01-16-2011, 02:21 PM   #990
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi all sorry I haven't been around. I went to a stamp store yesterday for their used stamp sale, most of the stuff was brand new and cheap. It is over an hour away so it took most of my day.

I am finally organizing my pictures, what a pain. I cannot find any thing printed from 2008. I am not even sure if I ever ordered them so I will order them again. I couldn't figure out how I got caught up to 2009, well I skipped 2008! At least they are on snapfish so it will not take too long.

Sorry about the cricut Nancy, what did you buy?

We are watching the Patriot's game, it is not pretty! Bye for now.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:12 AM   #991
Glitter Guru

The two cartridges I got were Robotz and Boys will be Boys...
Old 01-17-2011, 05:54 AM   #992
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

My kids love robotz, I do not have boys will be boys--yet! My son needs to build a hotel for school, he is going to use winter woodland. He loves the 3d stuff.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:18 AM   #993
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
NancyH ~ I bought this one... And I love it!!!

Eureka Bagless Upright Vacuum, AirSpeed, AS1000A - Walmart.com

Ducki ~ We butcher on Black Friday since everyone is home for Thanksgiving... That way we have lots of help cutting, trimming and wrapping...
We usually butcher New Year's Day (some years we have butchered on Christmas Morning once the kids were older and started hanging out at their significant others on Christmas) but DH didn't have his garage ready to go yet so we were a little late this year! We ground the hamburg last night and sliced some steaks but unfortunately, didn't get completely done like I thought we were going to. We had an emergency come up and had to quit early. Oh well, there's always tonight! Crossing my fingers we get done!!!
There are 5 of us working on ours so we have done pretty well to be this far. Especially since we are VERY PICKY about fat in the meat pan and no wasted meat on the bones!

Old 01-17-2011, 06:30 PM   #994
Stazon Splitcoast

You two and your meat! I always forget to defrost things. All that meat would get freezer burn at my house.

Too bad Ruth's Chris is so expensive, I'd be eating there every week! They know how to cook meat!
Crafting When We Can
Old 01-17-2011, 06:33 PM   #995
Stazon Splitcoast

Ref vacuums - I want one of the I-robot (I think that's what they are called). You know the ones that are like flying saucers that run around the floors all the time. It'd drive my cats a little crazy but it would be wonderful not to have to deal with vacuuming.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:45 PM   #996
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by imthenoni View Post
Ref vacuums - I want one of the I-robot (I think that's what they are called). You know the ones that are like flying saucers that run around the floors all the time. It'd drive my cats a little crazy but it would be wonderful not to have to deal with vacuuming.
I have one cat that would probably watch it and follow it around and the other two would be running from it!

I might need tonget one just for the entertainment value! LOL
Crafting When We Can
Old 01-17-2011, 07:50 PM   #997
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
I have one cat that would probably watch it and follow it around and the other two would be running from it!

I might need tonget one just for the entertainment value! LOL
That's exactly what I was thinking. I think both of my cats would be very curious. 1 would absolutely chase it. Kinda like the squirrel we had on New Year's Day. That poor squirrel had my Smokey hot on his tail while he was running through my house. LOL

Now that I think about it I think the name is I-Romba or something but you guys know what I'm talking about.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:55 PM   #998
Stazon Splitcoast

Snow day tomorrow! Whoo hoo!

I had to sneak into dd1's room to turn off her alarm.

I checked outside and there is good amount of ice out there. It looks like snow but I scooped some up and it is ice.

DD2is going to be upset that there isn't ant school tomorrow!

You should hear the noise it makes coming down!
Crafting When We Can
Old 01-18-2011, 02:27 AM   #999
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Good morning all. We do not have a snow day here. I have not been outside yet, it is snowing. Then we will get freezing rain and then rain. I am glad I am not working today. My 1 hour commute would be 2 or 3.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:43 AM   #1000
Stazon Splitcoast

It was supposed to start out as snow and sleet and then freezing rain to rain. I think we only got the freezing rain!
Crafting When We Can