Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2010, 02:10 PM   #401
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMR View Post
It was really cool today, a WWII Vet got all his medals at the ceremony.
Certainly he didn't have to wait over 50 years to get them. What a shame it took that long. Who said government was speedy?
Old 11-12-2010, 03:54 AM   #402
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
It was really cool today, a WWII Vet got all his medals at the ceremony.
My Grandfather was a medic in WW II serving in the CBI (China, Burma, and India) unit. I know he had many medals, pins, and such on his uniform, but never liked to talk much about the war. The family history of his time there was only known by me for some reason. He would tell me little things, but never talked to anyone else about the war. I'm sure my uncle sold his uniform to the highest bidder as he has no sense of family history or pride. I would have loved for my kids and grandkids to have seen his uniform, and the souveneirs he sent home for Grandma.

It is so unfortunate if this man had to wait this long to receive what he deserved so many years ago! However, it does beat the alternative of never receiving them, or them being given to his family after he was gone. That's a long time to go knowing "how appreciated" you were for your service! Poor Fella!

http://www.paperpiecingsbynikki.com/.../NEW-ITEMS.htm
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 11-12-2010, 05:13 AM   #403
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducki View Post
My Grandfather was a medic in WW II serving in the CBI (China, Burma, and India) unit. I know he had many medals, pins, and such on his uniform, but never liked to talk much about the war. The family history of his time there was only known by me for some reason. He would tell me little things, but never talked to anyone else about the war. I'm sure my uncle sold his uniform to the highest bidder as he has no sense of family history or pride. I would have loved for my kids and grandkids to have seen his uniform, and the souveneirs he sent home for Grandma.

It is so unfortunate if this man had to wait this long to receive what he deserved so many years ago! However, it does beat the alternative of never receiving them, or them being given to his family after he was gone. That's a long time to go knowing "how appreciated" you were for your service! Poor Fella!
Your grandfather sounds like so many WWII vets. Many are just don't want to burden their families and friends with all the horrible things they saw from that war. DH's father was much the same way. He might watch parts of war movies & say "did you see that or did you see him" and just get up and leave the room. In our area we now have a group of pilots who go around talking to the kids in schools but I don't think they really tell the whole story of what they saw.

After posting yesterday I received an e-mail from my dad (actually it is a nightly update on my step mom he sends out to several family members & friends). In it he has a little release time he calls it. He told that all fold in the last 2 generations (his & mine) there are actually 11 vets & that his older brother was in the Navy. I had actually forgotten about that one.

I hope everyone has a good day today.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:15 AM   #404
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

He did wait all this time. They did not really explain the delay. The paperwork must have gotten lost, not filed, etc. He was proud to get them.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:53 AM   #405
Glitter Guru

Did you guys see this sale???

Specials CricutMachine.com

Cartridges start at $17.95!!!
Old 11-12-2010, 07:52 AM   #406
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
He did wait all this time. They did not really explain the delay. The paperwork must have gotten lost, not filed, etc. He was proud to get them.
He should be AND THEY SHOULD HAVE MADE A PUBLIC APOLOGY TO HIM AS WELL!

Old 11-12-2010, 07:53 AM   #407
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyLuvsMickey View Post

Woah!! its nancy.. i've missed you.. lol
and they have been talking about it for days in the swap threads.. sorry to burst your bubble. lol
Old 11-12-2010, 07:53 AM   #408
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

You guys have to stop! I am trying not to go on there and buy a bunch of carts...I'm still trying ebay to see if I can get them cheaper....I guess that means I really don't need them too bad huh! LOL

Old 11-12-2010, 10:28 AM   #409
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I bought a gypsy and 5 cartridges. I saw the michaels black friday ad and the gypsy will be 99 and I paid 109, oh well. I bought Toy Story, Sesame Street holidays, robotz, create a critter and monsters(?), I think. I will dole them out and have everyone give them to me for Christmas, it is easier this way.
I was really on the fence about the gypsy, but for the price I went for it. You get 7 free cartridges if you register by 12/31. I spent enough for free shipping of course.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:28 AM   #410
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
You guys have to stop! I am trying not to go on there and buy a bunch of carts...I'm still trying ebay to see if I can get them cheaper....I guess that means I really don't need them too bad huh! LOL
I have not had luck on ebay, and I really want Toy Story!
Old 11-12-2010, 10:37 AM   #411
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via AIM to nhagen

Quote:
I bought a gypsy and 5 cartridges. I saw the michaels black friday ad and the gypsy will be 99 and I paid 109, oh well. I bought Toy Story, Sesame Street holidays, robotz, create a critter and monsters(?), I think. I will dole them out and have everyone give them to me for Christmas, it is easier this way.
I was really on the fence about the gypsy, but for the price I went for it. You get 7 free cartridges if you register by 12/31. I spent enough for free shipping of course.
You are really going to like your Gypsy, Pia. I do everything on the Gypsy. So much easier than hooking up those jukeboxes when you have several cartridges to use for one project.
Crafting When We Can
Old 11-12-2010, 10:43 AM   #412
Watercolor Wizard

I have a one track mind so the cartridges are easier for me! I let Cindy link all my carts to her gypsy though and then if I need to borrow one of her carts I don't feel so bad cause she can still use it through the gypsy if she needs it before I get it returned!

Old 11-12-2010, 03:32 PM   #413
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhagen View Post
You are really going to like your Gypsy, Pia. I do everything on the Gypsy. So much easier than hooking up those jukeboxes when you have several cartridges to use for one project.
I don't have a juke box, do I not need one now?
Old 11-12-2010, 03:37 PM   #414
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
I don't have a juke box, do I not need one now?
Nope!

Just link your cartridges to the Gypsy and then you can just plug your Gypsy into the Cricut.

You can still use Design Studio but save the files as a Gypsy file instead of the cut file and then you can upload the file to your gypsy. No swapping out cartridges while it cuts.

Cool, huh?
Crafting When We Can
Old 11-12-2010, 03:44 PM   #415
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh that is great, I never got around to buying a juke box. What I need to do is call provocraft so I can load design studio on my laptop instead of desktop. I have to figure out how to move make the cut too. I will get to it, some day.

Yes, my laptop is fixed! My bil's friend at work did it for free, I need to get him a gift card this weekend so my bil can bring it in. The screen was $90 all in all not too bad.

I am heading to my desk and I have work in the morning. I haven't been sleeping well.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:44 PM   #416
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Nancy,
How is the packing going? When do you hope to move?
Old 11-12-2010, 05:14 PM   #417
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Nancy,
How is the packing going? When do you hope to move?
We have a lot of painting and stuff to do still. I have a lot of cleaning and purging to do to.

Radon test was done and we need to get it vented. Then termite inspections and general home inspection. This is all for the relocation company. Then we we finally put it on the market and get a buyer, then the buyer has to order all the inspections again!
Crafting When We Can
Old 11-12-2010, 07:16 PM   #418
Stazon Splitcoast

[QUOTE=ducki;17566088]My Grandfather was a medic in WW II serving in the CBI (China, Burma, and India) unit. I know he had many medals, pins, and such on his uniform, but never liked to talk much about the war. The family history of his time there was only known by me for some reason. He would tell me little things, but never talked to anyone else about the war. I'm sure my uncle sold his uniform to the highest bidder as he has no sense of family history or pride. I would have loved for my kids and grandkids to have seen his uniform, and the souveneirs he sent home for Grandma.
QUOTE]

DH asked if you had tried to search his division. You might find all kinds of information. He said that fighting the Japanese was much more brutal than fighting the Germans. He is a WWII historian (so to speak - watching movies is horrible "that tank wasn't in that theater" or "that ship never made it there" kinds of things). He said there is all kinds of info out there.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:20 PM   #419
Stazon Splitcoast

OK any hear from ducki or baby_ducki ref stress test today?
Old 11-13-2010, 05:37 AM   #420
Stazon Splitcoast

[QUOTE=imthenoni;17570100]
Quote:
QUOTE]

DH asked if you had tried to search his division. You might find all kinds of information. He said that fighting the Japanese was much more brutal than fighting the Germans. He is a WWII historian (so to speak - watching movies is horrible "that tank wasn't in that theater" or "that ship never made it there" kinds of things). He said there is all kinds of info out there.
My hubby does the same thing! That's a US tank when it is supposed to a Russian tank, or that gun is wrong etc! Too funny!! men!
Crafting When We Can
Old 11-13-2010, 06:36 AM   #421
Stazon Splitcoast

[QUOTE=nhagen;17570962]
Quote:
Originally Posted by imthenoni View Post

My hubby does the same thing! That's a US tank when it is supposed to a Russian tank, or that gun is wrong etc! Too funny!! men!
Then he'll ask "why did they do that, it's not right" and I say "honey, it's just a movie not a news reel and not supposed to be actual footage." Goofie, I say. LOL
Old 11-13-2010, 10:04 AM   #422
Stazon Splitcoast

[QUOTE=imthenoni;17571203]
Quote:

Then he'll ask "why did they do that, it's not right" and I say "honey, it's just a movie not a news reel and not supposed to be actual footage." Goofie, I say. LOL
I just roll my eyes and tell him it's just a movie and the average person doesn't have a clue!
Crafting When We Can
Old 11-13-2010, 10:14 AM   #423
Watercolor Wizard

From what I've heard from the stories my Grandpa told me I don't think I want more information! The fighting over bread that had the most bugs cause that was protein, the tent mate that had wild birds under his bed and Grandpa shooting at a tiger that was in their tent and getting in trouble and them having to move camp cause he "gave away their location to the enemy" - hello...what about the fact they could have been eaten or mauled by the tiger???? Nobody cared about that one! One very interesting thing I did learn was that when Buzz light Year and Princess Drool were drinking their darjilian - it was just tea! LOL After one particularly brutal battle they were given a short R & R in Dargeeling Tibet and there were tea fields everywhere. I'm sure the spelling isn't correct but I do know that there was a wee bit of history in the Toy Story movie that without my conversations with Grandpa I would of never known it wasn't just some funny name they gave their "tea"!

As for baby_ducki's nonstress test she was having contractions during i so they have now put her on bedrest - which btw isn't working out too well! LOL They also have her taking the brethine every 4 hours now instead of every six. I think she will need some snoozing during the day to catch up on the sleep she misses at night getting her pills every 4 hours!Little Kaylee wants to come play with us but she has to wait another week before doc will let her! We didn't go to the all day scrap today instead we are scrapping in our craft room. That way she can lay down if she gets tired. We will make a trip down later to visit for a bit and swap out a swap but then we are coming home. Oh well, I didn't have stuff ready to go anyways since we got home from hospital late and really didn't feel like dragging it all out and then back home! I know, I'm lazy....

Old 11-13-2010, 03:49 PM   #424
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks for the update Barb, keep us posted.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:03 PM   #425
Stazon Splitcoast

Ok, now that is gross about the bugs in the bread!

Strap her down if you have to! Bed rest doesn't necessarily in the bed. Keep her off her feet. That precious cargo needs to wait a little bit longer. We don't need little Kaylee to spend her first weeks in the NICU.

Keep us posted and we want pictures when the little sweetie makes her debut!
Crafting When We Can
Old 11-13-2010, 04:55 PM   #426
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Strap her down if you have to! Bed rest doesn't necessarily in the bed. Keep her off her feet. That precious cargo needs to wait a little bit longer. We don't need little Kaylee to spend her first weeks in the NICU.

You said it well. Keep her off her feet, and no that doesn't mean she can crawl around either, as much as possible. Like only up long enough to walk to the kitchen for water or food, to the bathroom to get rid of water or food, and to the bed or a recliner or the sofa. Lay on your left side and chill. Put in an old movie or 20 or read a book or just take a nap. Put the meds beside you and keep an insulated cup of something to drink near by as well.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:07 PM   #427
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

It sure grossed me out when he was telling me that too but then as he described the living conditions and supplies they had to work with and such..it didn't gross me out as much...you did what you had to to maintain what strength you could and hopefully make it back to your family!

Oh there will be pictures that's for sure! Remember I have to have so many to keep her scrapping so I can hold the baby! LOL I saw the cutest picture frame I think I'll be buying at the hospital gift shop if they still have it next time we are down! It's adorable and says Grandma and Grandpas little ray of sunshine. It will be perfect on my desk at work!

Actually, they want her laying down or reclining but I'm being tolerant letting her scrap at our house. She has a big comfy computer chair with a back on it - yes mine's a cheapy that's not too comfy - LOL - and we did go and swap out a swap this evening but we didn't go scrap all day with our buds. Right now she is at Walmart with Eric cause she was out of black paper and he needed stain for the toybox. He is redoing his toybox from when he was little and staining it to match her crib and dresser and even cutting her name out and attaching it to her toybox.....geez....you guys thought I was spoiling her already! LOL

Old 11-13-2010, 05:09 PM   #428
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by imthenoni View Post
You said it well. Keep her off her feet, and no that doesn't mean she can crawl around either, as much as possible. Like only up long enough to walk to the kitchen for water or food, to the bathroom to get rid of water or food, and to the bed or a recliner or the sofa. Lay on your left side and chill. Put in an old movie or 20 or read a book or just take a nap. Put the meds beside you and keep an insulated cup of something to drink near by as well.
Can I send her to stay with you for the next week? I know that's what she should be doing but I'm just relieved to get her to sit and lay as much as she has! She's such a stubborn and strong willed child! I wonder where in the heck she gets that from!

Old 11-13-2010, 05:11 PM   #429
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Thanks for the update Barb, keep us posted.
Will do Pia and I'll try to text you and nancy when she arrives if I can think of anything other than her! LOL Since I have both your cells maybe you 2 can spread the work on SCS for me til I can properly brag myself! LOL

Old 11-13-2010, 05:13 PM   #430
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
It sure grossed me out when he was telling me that too but then as he described the living conditions and supplies they had to work with and such..it didn't gross me out as much...you did what you had to to maintain what strength you could and hopefully make it back to your family!

Oh there will be pictures that's for sure! Remember I have to have so many to keep her scrapping so I can hold the baby! LOL I saw the cutest picture frame I think I'll be buying at the hospital gift shop if they still have it next time we are down! It's adorable and says Grandma and Grandpas little ray of sunshine. It will be perfect on my desk at work!

Actually, they want her laying down or reclining but I'm being tolerant letting her scrap at our house. She has a big comfy computer chair with a back on it - yes mine's a cheapy that's not too comfy - LOL - and we did go and swap out a swap this evening but we didn't go scrap all day with our buds. Right now she is at Walmart with Eric cause she was out of black paper and he needed stain for the toybox. He is redoing his toybox from when he was little and staining it to match her crib and dresser and even cutting her name out and attaching it to her toybox.....geez....you guys thought I was spoiling her already! LOL
I though Eric was keeping her in a bubble? Walmart? I hope she is strapped into a wheel chair or something LOL!
Crafting When We Can
Old 11-13-2010, 05:16 PM   #431
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
I though Eric was keeping her in a bubble? Walmart? I hope she is strapped into a wheel chair or something LOL!
The poor boy is trying! Sometimes I don't know how he does it!

Old 11-13-2010, 06:05 PM   #432
Stazon Splitcoast

Once Miss Kaylee is here and everything is fine this will all be just something to laugh about. "While mommy was elprego with you she was told to stay in bed or reclining but she said she had to scrap and just had to make a trip to Walmart to get paper for the book she was working on. We tried to keep her down but she was as willfull as you seem to be, so never let her tell you she doesn't know where you get that from." LOL
Old 11-13-2010, 06:14 PM   #433
Watercolor Wizard

Well said!
I think we need to print that for her book! LOL

Old 11-13-2010, 06:53 PM   #434
Stazon Splitcoast

Too funny! I guess they both get it from someone in the family!
Crafting When We Can
Old 11-14-2010, 05:25 AM   #435
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Good morning all. I had a good day yesterday. I went to work early so I could get out early. I put a few hours in on Tuesday too. I had to get out early because a few friends and I took a class with Melissa Frances, she has some really neat stuff. I did not spend too much. We had a fun time at Chili's after. We are thinking of going to a weekend crop again, hooray.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:40 AM   #436
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby_ducki View Post
Woah!! its nancy.. i've missed you.. lol
and they have been talking about it for days in the swap threads.. sorry to burst your bubble. lol
Day late and a dollar short ~ that's the story of my life!!!

Now get back to the couch and lay down and behave yourself!!!
Old 11-14-2010, 07:22 AM   #437
Stazon Splitcoast

You tell her, Nancy! LOL
Crafting When We Can
Old 11-14-2010, 08:30 AM   #438
Watercolor Wizard

She's scrapping...at least she has lots of paper to keep her busy!

Old 11-14-2010, 12:09 PM   #439
Stazon Splitcoast

You guys should get a lot accomplished then!
Crafting When We Can
Old 11-14-2010, 03:31 PM   #440
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

How is the bed rest/scrapping going?