Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2011, 10:24 PM   #1
Mad Swapper

Post Illinois Stampers

Hi,
I'm new to the Forums on SCS. I haven't seen anyone from Illinois, and was wanting to find some fellow card-makers like me!!!

I'm from the central part of IL. Please introduce yourself!!!

I'm Linda, currently and happily retired, due to some health issues. I share my home with my furry kitties, and a husband. I have been making cards for a couple of years, introduced by Stampin Up, then branched out where ever I can find inspiration. I would consider my stile as CAS. I love traveling, and searching for shops along the way!!! I also collect web-sites to order stamps and other card making items!!! "My name is Linda, and I am a Stampaholic!!!"

What's your story???

~~~LINDA~~~

We had to get rid of the kids~~~

~~~The cats were allergic!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 04-26-2011, 08:36 AM   #2
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Hi Linda! I'm in central Illinois too, Decatur to be exact. Where are you at? (You can PM me if you don't want to post it on here

I'm all SU and a demo too! I love to stamp...haven't had much time this week though, boo! There are a few members from central Il here...kspiv is one, she's from Springfield...can't think of others right off hand but they are around!

Welcome to SCS!!!! Hope to see you around here and maybe in real life

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Old 04-26-2011, 10:20 AM   #3
Matboard Maniac

I'm from Clinton. It's about 20 miles north of Decatur and 20 miles south of Bloomington on Rt. 51. I think there are several of us around.

Welcome to SCS!
Old 04-26-2011, 12:38 PM   #4
Hardware Hotshot

Hi Linda and welcome from somewhat further away - New Zealand! I love your signature! I am also retired, love cats (although I don't have any at the moment) and share my retirement with my de facto partner. I see travel as a way to link up as many craft shops as possible and love reading stamp catalogues! I think I am addicted too!
Stephanie
Old 04-26-2011, 12:50 PM   #5
Stazon Splitcoast

Rockford transplanted to Las Vegas. Welcome to SCS.
blessings.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:21 PM   #6
Mad Swapper

Hi Mindy, Cindy, Stephanie and Amber,

Thanks for responding to my post. I am born and raised in Decatur. I KNEW there had to be some Stampers / Card-Makers from around here!!! I just thought the WHOLE SCS was so big, that if I met some people on here a little closer to home, I'd feel a bit cozier!!!
Mindy,... I use a lot of SU products,...can't wait to order out of the new catalog!!!

Cindy,...I drive by Clinton on my way to Bloomington about once a month. I take my Copic Markers to be refilled at "ScrapbookFriendZ" in Bloomington, and love shopping at "The Fresh Market".

Stephanie,...glad to hear from you!!! I have three Devon Rex breed cats. They are hypoallergenic cats.

Amber, my Step-Daughter used to live in Rockford. I always loved visiting there. I remember an awesome Italian Restaurant.

Well, I have been a SCS member for a few years, but have only looked at the Gallery to get inspiration. I signed up for my first swaps yesterday!!! I haven't made any cards since before Christmas. I have lost my MOJO ! ! ! Have any of you ever had that happen??? I'd LOVE any help you can give me!!!

It is WONDERFUL meeting you!!! Hopefully, there will be others that show up from Illinois!!!

~~~LINDA~~~

Old 04-26-2011, 10:45 PM   #7
Hardware Hotshot

Hi Linda, Ah - the problem of the lost MOJO! That happens to us all and this is what I do. I tidy my craft area. I start by puting away things from projects I have finished and go onto checking my containers of embellishments in case a flower got in with a bead, I go through all my card stock, rearrange my stamps, and play with my pens. This serves to remind me what I have and without realising it I see a colour combination I like or have an idea for a stamped image. If nothing else I end up with a tidy desk!
Stephanie
Old 04-27-2011, 07:43 AM   #8
Mad Swapper

Thumbs up Re Looking for Card Members

Thanks Stephanie!
I agree with you,...I just need to jump in there and organize, re-arrange and de-clutter. I have some new stamps burried in there somewhere, along with other goodies that need to be put away. I've purposely joined a few swaps on SCS, to force me to get myself back "in the groove"!!!

One of my problems that I have to work on is that I am a perfectionist. I used to think that was a good thing. Now, I've found that it also leads to procrastination. (If I don't think I can do something perfectly, I just keep putting it off until I CAN ! ! !)

So, I'm just going to go into my stamping room and do SOMETHING ! ! !

~~~LINDA~~~

Old 04-27-2011, 10:08 AM   #9
Pearl-ExPert

I'm what's called a "townie" around here as I've lived in Bloomington all my life. I can see why you drive up to Fresh Market. We love that store! Great coffee, seafood, meats, bakery, veggies - you name it!
I'm also my own worst enemy when it comes to card making as I, too, am a perfectionist. I have a friend who stamps with me who has decided we should call it "art" as no art is perfect nor can it be right or wrong! I'm trying to stick with that philosophy!
Slow Mojo is a bummer. Maybe it's all the rain we've been having around here! Sometimes I'll look up a stamp set on SCS or a theme and that will give me an oomph to get started on a card after I see all the beautiful cards the talented stampers here have made. I, too, start to tidy up my stamping area and then get inspired. Problem is, I get inspired before everything's all tidy - lol!
Just an F.Y.I., there's another great store in Bloomington for stamping/scrapbooking. It's called Keepsake Element. If you want directions or more info you can check out their website or feel free to pm me. I'm not sure how much or how little info. is allowed on SCS about a specific store and I love this site too much to break the rules!
Here's to Central Illinois ladies - the land of stampers, corn and lots of wind!
Old 04-27-2011, 10:33 AM   #10
Matboard Maniac

Linda maybe you should sign up for a stampin up workshop. I know there are several demos in town including Minders. I have a demo in Decatur and one in Clinton and I go to both their workshops. They have different styles and I always get great ideas.

Loretia - that is so funny you called yourself a 'townie'. I work at the nuclear plant in Clinton. One of the supervisors in my department is also a 'townie' from Bloomington. When I want to know where to go for something I ask him and he always knows the best places!!
Old 04-30-2011, 08:22 AM   #11
Mad Swapper

Post Illinois Stampers

Hi everyone!!! It has been a busy week, with too much rain and wind, for sure, but I'm not going to complain, after the tragic weather in the south/east. I've had bad headaches all week, so no, I haven't found the inspiration to do any stamping or card making. However, my mind has been planning some cards, and I've done some on-line shopping!!!

Lorettia, nice hearing from you!!! I love your tag-line for Illinois: Land of stampers, corn and wind!!! I will add rain to that! You are a Bloomington "Townie", huh??? I've never heard that term before! We are actually making a trip to Bloomington tomorrow. I have some stamps that I ordered, and of course, The Fresh Market. I am always looking for a good restaurant there, if you have some suggestions!!! I will send you a PM about Keepsake Element!!!

Cindy, and Mindy, I'd love to attend some SU workshops. I used to have a couple ladies that were demos, but have quit. I have a good friend that sells SU, but she mainly just does so for herself. I need all the help I can get!!!

I am forcing my way back into stamping this week. I have quite a few birthdays this month to make cards for!!! I have new stamps, and more on the way, along with paper and bling!!! IT WILL HAPPEN ! ! !

I also have a very busy week coming up! I leave next Saturday for Chicago to spend Mother's Day with my son. It will be great spending time with him. I won't be coming home until the 11th.

Hopefully everyone is enjoying the beautiful weather this morning. I hope it sticks around awhile!!! I have a soccer game and Birthday party to go to for my Grandson, I'm praying for sunshine!!! Have a great weekend!!!

~~~LINDA~~~

Old 04-30-2011, 11:16 AM   #12
Cardstock Collector

Default Another Illinoian...

I live in Annapolis, a very rural little town, actually, I live on a farm 2 miles from town. My biggest town is Robinson, the county seat of Crawford and also the home of the Heath Candy Bar !!!, I love paper, collecting it and using it. My sewing room was getting crowded with fabric stacks so I now collect paper......just as pretty to look at and takes up alot less room. I mostly make cards and crafty things, would like to start scrapbooking, just haven't yet. My SU demo'er has workshops every month or so, a good 30 miles from me but worth the trip. I need all of the inspiration I can get. I'm a pretty good copier, not very original. I think that takes time.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:45 PM   #13
Mad Swapper

Default Hello from Decatur!!!

Hi there!!! What is your name?
I love fabric too! I used to sew a lot, then did some quilting, and collected stashes of quilting fabrics. Then I started knitting, and collected yarn everywhere I could find a cool yarn shop. Unfortunately, I don't have enough hours in the day to create everything I'd like to!!! I've just settled into making cards,...gotta use that paper for something,...Right???

Well, SplitCoast Stampers is a GREAT place to get inspiration, and learn just about anything you want to, dealing with paper-crafting!!! Look around, look at all the galleries, and member's blogs. Then, if you have questions,...ask questions!!! I have asked a LOT of questions, and there are a LOT of very nice people here to answer any of your questions!!!

I am always learning!!! That's why I started looking around here!!! There is a bit of everything here!!!

So, welcome!!!

~~~LINDA~~~

Old 04-30-2011, 06:34 PM   #14
Swapper of the Month March 2013

Hi, I just found this thread. I live in northwestern Illinois - a little less than an hour from Iowa and a little over an hour from Wisconsin.

I'm heading to Mt. Vernon next weekend for a meeting...... anyone know of any stamp/scrapbooking stores there?
MelonHeadz OSAAT {PIN}Spirational Challenges Sweet Stampin

My blog: Cre8tive Play
According to Albert Einstein, "Creativity is contagious, pass it on."
My swap: The Forest in the Fall
Old 05-01-2011, 02:59 AM   #15
Mad Swapper

Post Illinois Stampers

Glad to meet you!!!
My Mother and her family were from Mt Vernon Il. In fact they are all buried there. I haven't been there in a few years. I know there used to be a scrapbook/ stamp store in Effingham then. Effingham is between where I life and Mt Vernon. I'd just "Google" some towns between where you live and Mt Vernon with Scrapbook stores, and see what you come up with. Then, call the shops before you try to find them. From experience, I have found that a lot of shops go out of business, but their stores are still listed on the internet years after they close down!!!
Anyway, I'm sorry I can't be anymore help to you!!! I love finding new scrap/ stamp shops along my travels!!!

Good Luck!!!

~~~LINDA~~~

Old 05-01-2011, 04:02 AM   #16

I travel all over Illinois quite a bit and have found some wonderful shopping experiences in the past. LOL! I know there is a good LSS in Effingham, I can't think of the name of it right at this minute. But I'm not sure I'll have time to stop on the way down on Thursday and they close early on Saturdays so they'll be closed when I drive through on my way back home on Saturday. I've also been to three in Mt. Vernon in the past, but I think all of them are now closed. I'm hoping there is a new one there now.

I've been to some in Springfield that are good; also Peoria, Fairview Heights, Rockford, Marion, Several Chicago Suburbs... I can't think where else.

Old 05-01-2011, 04:33 AM   #17
Mad Swapper

Thanks for the information!!! What does "LSS " stand for??? I live close to Springfield. There are two, that I know of. Fairview Heights has two great ones there. I haven't been to Effingham or Mt Vernon in a few years, so I just don't know. Some shops just don't stay in business very long,.....

I hope you have a great trip!!! If you find any on your travels, please let me know.

I might have to make some day-trips!!!

~~~LINDA~~~

Old 05-01-2011, 04:36 AM   #18

LSS = Local Scrapbooking/Stamping Store

I love the ones in Springfield. I go there quite often, actually. It's 3 - 3 1/2 hours from my home but I go to meetings there a lot - plus I doctor in Springfield, so I get to shop when I go.

We used to live in Collinsville and loved going to the Fairview Heights stores then.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:46 AM   #19
Cardstock Collector

Default Stampin' Stores in Illinois

There is/was a huge store in Matoon, I haven' been there but saw it from a distance.......was at a family funeral and it wasn't the time to go shopping. Drat!! I don't remember the name of the shop, or where we were when I saw it. A friend also told me about it, but she is not into the paper scene--at all. Poor girl.....If I can find the name I will re-post. I'm very interested in Effingham shops, it's only about an hour from me. Sure wish we had a Michael's closer that 2 hours (Evansville, IN) I have to shop in Terre Haute, Joann's and Hobby obby, also Jeffrey Allens. That is about an hour away I keep a list for two weeks of so, to make a day of it. Sam's-Aldi's-Mall-and of course the craft stores.
AVA
Old 05-01-2011, 07:54 AM   #20

I don't think the store is open in Effingham anymore. My mom is from Beecher City and the last time I went there it had closed. THere is an Archiver's in Fairview Heights and those stores are awesome!

Check out my blog

Old 05-01-2011, 10:31 AM   #21
Mad Swapper

Good May morning Ava,
The scrapbook store in Mattoon is "Daisy Lane". It is about 45 minutes from where I live. They cater more to scrapbookers, but have lots of pretty paper and embellishments. They used to carry rubber stamps, but stopped carrying them a few years ago. Now they just carry a very limited supply of acrylic stamps,.... I need to make a trip there one day soon. It's been awhile!!! I don't have a "Michaels" in town either. Wish we did, as they have good coupon deals!!!
I have really started shopping on-line a lot!!! In fact, I have three orders shipping here this week. I hope they get here before I leave for Chicago on Saturday!!!

Have a great Sunday!!!

~~~LINDA~~~

Old 05-01-2011, 10:40 AM   #22
Mad Swapper

Happy May Day, Mindy,

I love the "Archiver's" store in Fairview Heights!!! There is another good store there too, called "Scrapbook Factory". They aren't far from each other!!! Yes, "Archiver's" are awesome stores!!! There are several of them around the Chicago area. A friend and I made a day trip to Fairview Heights a few months ago. It's close to St Louis, but you can bypass the traffic!!!

Have a great day,...hopefully the sun will stay out all day!!!

~~~LINDA~~~

Old 05-01-2011, 12:08 PM   #23
Pearl-ExPert

I'd be interested in knowing the names/locations of the scrapbook shops in Springfield. I hit a favorite in Peoria, somtimes - about an hour from where we live. Springfield is right about an hour away heading south. I really enjoy finding new LSS's! I also love Archiver's. What a great store. I wish they'd build one here in Central Illinois!
I just have to ask, Linda, about Mt. Vernon. My brother lived there back in the late 1980s and we would go stay with him fairly often. I remember they had the best fireworks display I think I've ever seen! It was done on a Saturday before the 4th at some small like more towards the center of town I think. Good memories of Mt. Vernon!
Old 05-01-2011, 12:32 PM   #24
Mad Swapper

Post Illinois Stampers

Good Morning Loretia,
I am really not very noligable about Mt Vernon anymore, as my mother has been deceased 18 years now. Her family was originally from there, but she moved to Decatur in her early teens.

The LSS's in Springfield that I am familiar with are: "Prairie Art Stamps", one of very few stores that still carry quite a few wood-mounted rubber stamps. They don't have a lot of paper though. The other is "Scrapbook Your Story". They have more paper, but less stamps. Springfield also has a Michael's and a Hobby Lobby.

Does anyone know of any others???

I have a friend that found a shop in Tremont, IL. It is close to Peoria, and has mainly wood-mounted stamps. It's a very small shop, but just crammed with stamps. She loved it!!!

Enjoy your day!!!

~~~LINDA~~~

Old 05-01-2011, 12:35 PM   #25
Mad Swapper

The Stamp store in Tremont, IL is called "Rubber Rainbows". I haven't been there yet, but have heard great things about it!!! Tremont is close to Peoria.

~~~LINDA~~~

Old 05-01-2011, 03:44 PM   #26

My online friend tells me the LSS in Effingham is still there/open. It's called Got to Be Scrappin.

Here's a link to their web page... Got 2 B Scrappin', Effingham, IL

Old 05-01-2011, 04:03 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Ranger View Post
My online friend tells me the LSS in Effingham is still there/open. It's called Got to Be Scrappin.

Here's a link to their web page... Got 2 B Scrappin', Effingham, IL
Oh, I think that's a different one than the one I knew about! I buy only SU but I'll have to go check it out anyway...I like to window shop

Check out my blog

Old 05-01-2011, 06:36 PM   #28
Mad Swapper

Mindy, you are so disciplined!!! I LOVE Stampin Up, but I am an addict when it comes to ALL stamping and card-making products!!! I have more than I'll ever use!!! SU's paper is hard to beat though, so I have a lot of it. I just can't stop there!!! I just want it ALL !!! LOL ! ! !

I made a mistake last week and ordered some things on-line. Normally, I try to plan, so I know I will be the one at home when my goodies come in the mail or UPS. I forgot that Thursday and Friday, I have a class from noon to 4pm, and my husband will be home when the mail gets here!!! Then, I am leaving Saturday morning for Chicago!!! YIKES!!! I think my secret will be "out of the bag"!!! LOL,.....I'm an addict for sure!!!

Everyone have a great week!!!

~~~LINDA~~~

Old 05-01-2011, 06:43 PM   #29

LOL, oh I'm not disciplined by ANY means! And it doesn't mean that I don't spend a small (or large) fortune! I have just found that I'm actually more creative when I stick to one line...and I use more of what I buy. If I buy stuff from all over I tend not to use it because I don't know what goes with what Trust me, I buy a ton!!!!

I DO need to be disciplined to GET MY BUTT UP AND WORK OUT TOMORROW morning!!! And not eat like crap like we did this weekend, lol!

Check out my blog

Old 05-02-2011, 10:16 AM   #30
Mad Swapper

Jeanette,
Always excited to hear about LLS close by!!! I'm gonna have to make a day trip to Effingham, IL soon to do some shopping!!!

Thanks!!!

~~~LINDA~~~

Old 05-02-2011, 10:25 AM   #31

Linda, did you see they have extended hours this Saturday and also a sale going on for Scrapbooking Day?

Old 05-02-2011, 10:34 AM   #32
Mad Swapper

Jeanette,
No, I didn't see that. I am leaving Saturday morning for Chicago, to spend Mother's Day with my son, Jason. I won't be coming home until late Wednesday, May 11th. I only get up to Chicago to visit him a couple times a year. He is planning a day of surprises for me on Mother's Day!!!

Now, I have to find a way of getting rid of this BAD headache, that I've had since Friday!!! I think a nap is calling my name!!! .......

~~~LINDA~~~

Old 05-02-2011, 10:47 AM   #33

Oh how fun! I hope you love the surprises your son has in store for you!!! And I hope the nap helps get rid of the headache, too. Hugs!!!

Old 05-02-2011, 03:16 PM   #34
Mad Swapper

I tried taking a nap, but still have this awful migraine!!! Anyone have a tip to help get rid of headaches??? I have suffered with them since I was 11 years old. I have tried all sorts of over-the-counter things today, as well as Vicodine. It was a bad headache since Friday, but today is at the migraine level!!!

~~~LINDA~~~

Old 05-02-2011, 05:44 PM   #35

Hey Linda, maybe it's a d-town thing....I get bad headaches that last for days too...although I don't have one now...and probably just jinxed myself! Hope you feel better!

Where does your son live? I lived in Chicago for a while and dated a guy who lived there for a long time. Where did he go to high school?

Check out my blog

Old 05-02-2011, 06:53 PM   #36
Mad Swapper

Hi Mindy,
Jason lives pretty close to the stadium inside of Chicago. He's lived there for about six years. Before Chicago, he was in Carbondale. Both my kids went to school there. Both of my kids went to Mt Zion High School. Jason loves Chicago and it's a nice place for me to visit. We usually se a Broadway play/ musical while I'm there, and there is always something to do. I always go up on the Amtrak,...too chicken to drive by myself. When my husband goes with me, we drive up.

I HATE these headaches that go on several days!!! I sure wish I knew what caused them!!! I took two Advil and Two Vicodine earlier, and laid down for awhile. I couldn't sleep, but now I feel a little better. I'll take another Vicodine before I go to bed, and hopefully it will be gone tomorrow!!!

I hope everyone is having a great evening!!!

~~~LINDA~~~

Old 05-03-2011, 07:48 PM   #37
Glitter Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindalaskowski View Post
The Stamp store in Tremont, IL is called "Rubber Rainbows". I haven't been there yet, but have heard great things about it!!! Tremont is close to Peoria.
Hi, I am just brand new here and was browsing around. I live about 13 miles from the Rubber Rainbow in Tremont, IL. It is a wonderful store and the most delightful owners you ever met. They have tons of stuff and lots of classes. My favorite place to go other than the quilt shop in Morton, IL. Carla the owner is always up to date on the new techniques. Lots of cards on display and you are welcome to take pictures too.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:23 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paws to Stamp View Post
Hi, I am just brand new here and was browsing around. I live about 13 miles from the Rubber Rainbow in Tremont, IL. It is a wonderful store and the most delightful owners you ever met. They have tons of stuff and lots of classes. My favorite place to go other than the quilt shop in Morton, IL. Carla the owner is always up to date on the new techniques. Lots of cards on display and you are welcome to take pictures too.
Welcome!

Check out my blog

Old 05-04-2011, 05:35 AM   #39
Pearl-ExPert

Hello Paws to Stamp! I sure hope you get as much inspiration and enjoyment out of this website as I do! Thanks also for the info. on the stamp shop in Tremont. I am going to have to check that out! Happy stamping!
Old 05-04-2011, 06:10 AM   #40
Mad Swapper

Good morning "Paws to Shop",.....glad you found our little group from Illinois!!! I am anxious to go to Tremont to shop!!! My friend did say that the owners were very friendly!!! It's hard to find good "STAMP" STORES out there anymore!!!

Welcome!!!

~~~LINDA~~~