Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree2220Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 01:07 PM   #3961
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostvig View Post
nice how far a drive was Minot for you?
it is a 5 hour drive, not too bad, it is 8 hours to go from here to Calgary, which is our closest BIG city and good shopping

My Creative Side

Some days just look better upside down" Eeyore
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 11-05-2012, 04:38 PM   #3962
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by danssister View Post
It has been a busy, crazy past week here, and there's still a couple more days left... We took my MIL to ER on Tues night last week, evidently she'd stopped eating and was not taking her insulin, so she was a mess. And she's really confused, her dementia seems to have really taken hold of her. She was in the hospital for a few days, and now she's in a facility (which is locked, a good thing since she's become a wanderer....) for now. I don't know how long the insurance will pay, or what happens next....I've spent a lot of time on the phone with all sorts of people/places lately.

My parents were here for Halloween, which was awesome. My mom hasn't went trick-or-treating since I was 7, when I was burned (have I mentioned that before? I can't remember now, if I havn't let me know and I'll explain if you want). It was raining here, so we only went a few blocks, but Joey saw some friends and had a great time.

My BFF was here on Friday. I almost asked her to come a different time, but decided that with snow and the holidays I'd never see her until summertime again lol, and besides, I really wanted to spend time with her. She brought one of her kids (traveling with the others for a 3 hour trip is hard (one has Downe Syndrome), so they stayed with her mom) and it was so much fun. I'm really really glad she was here.

Sunday, which I think was yesterday....anyway Amy told me on Sat night that the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall was in a town close to us, so I took Joey. I found out that it's the only one of the 5 traveling Walls that is affiliated with the DC Veterans Wall, and it's the only one out of the 5 that is non-profit, too. The other 4 are for profit. That really bothers me.....

Anyway, that's some of what's been going on here. I hope to catch up here sometime soon, I miss having time to be here. Hope everything is going well for you all, I saw Shell's pics on FB. Looks like she's having a great vacation.

Please enlighten us more on your burn incident. Sorry to hear your MIL is declining so fast. Hope things can be done quickly to help her so as she is not so confused.

The memorial sounds wonderful! Glad you got some quality time with your friend too.

I am a life artist and love it!
Old 11-05-2012, 04:39 PM   #3963
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
I have the boys home today.. I did my exercise and now we are waiting to go to a matinee.. going to go see wreck it Ralph...we are also taking a friend of the boys with us ... they have enjoyed their day off school...Older DS gets some new classes tomorrow...I should post a picture of the wood stool he made in Woods...and his PJ pants he made in FACs, the girls want to see them also... He did a great job.
Please post a pic!!! Want to see

Old 11-05-2012, 08:06 PM   #3964
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapnstamp on the farm View Post
it is a 5 hour drive, not too bad, it is 8 hours to go from here to Calgary, which is our closest BIG city and good shopping
that isnt that bad a drive.. I wish it was that far for you to go to the Twin cities or Duluth, then we could meet up and have a real crafting experience.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:08 PM   #3965
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokiesgal View Post
Please post a pic!!! Want to see
I 'll work on that soon.. it just seems when he has them on at bed time I am saying "You guys get to bed!!!!" instead of "let me take a picture!" I will try to get one soon I know his one sister really wants to see them...
Old 11-06-2012, 10:44 AM   #3966
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
I 'll work on that soon.. it just seems when he has them on at bed time I am saying "You guys get to bed!!!!" instead of "let me take a picture!" I will try to get one soon I know his one sister really wants to see them...
Understand that one!! LOL!!

Old 11-07-2012, 06:01 AM   #3967
Glitter Guru

Quote:
that isnt that bad a drive.. I wish it was that far for you to go to the Twin cities or Duluth, then we could meet up and have a real crafting experience.
now youre talkin

My Creative Side

Old 11-07-2012, 06:04 AM   #3968
Glitter Guru

Quote:
I hear ya, COdy is terrible at stalling, you would never want to mention anything that would make him stall more

My Creative Side

Old 11-07-2012, 06:07 AM   #3969
Glitter Guru

the other day in Bath and Body Works, all of their candles were buy one get one free, I really only needed one, but hey if it is free ok. I picked a Lavender Vanilla as my free one, and it is so nice, I have it just sitting open on my counter in my dewing roo, where my computer is, it just smells so nice it here, very relaxing

Shell and Dell, with your Embroidery machines, can you do unpper and lower case letters?? I put the machine like you guys have on my chirstmas list, seems silly to have more than one machine, but they both do different things, and if I went out and looked, I am pretty sure hubby has at least 3 drills, and they all do the same thing, lol

My Creative Side

Old 11-07-2012, 07:27 AM   #3970
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm so glad that today is Day 1 of no political phone calls, flyers in the mail, commercials on both tv and radio, and any other way that I might have forgotten, lol. Whew! I should probably get the mail today, I haven't gotten it in the past few days because I'm tired of all of the political stuff....
Old 11-07-2012, 07:30 AM   #3971
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh, my MIL is in a rehab/nursing home type place in her hometown (but we were trying to get here in our town......). She's in a locked unit which is a good thing, because she just doesn't remember or know where she is. My dh is supposed to go up this afternoon, but I have to stay here and get Joey off the bus. I'm a bit relieved that he is going and I have a good reason to be here, because the rest of his family is getting on my last nerve about this whole thing, and I really don't want to see them right now......
Old 11-07-2012, 07:50 AM   #3972
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
You got burned when you were 7? I do need more explanation...I am snoopy that way.

Glad for your visit with your friend, sorry about issues with your MIL hop e that something works out for her it does sound like she needs so type of long term care...

Seeing the wall sounds wonderful... I love going to things like that.
Sorry about that, I couldn't remember if I'd mentioned that or not. It was Halloween, and I had on a long homemade witch costume (borrowed from one of my mom's friends). I walked by a short, squatty pumpkin that had a tall table candle in it, so the flame was WAY above the pumpkin (learned that way after the fact, when you're 7 you don't notice things like that). When the man answered the door and let the group of us into his entryway his exact words were "you can't come in here little girl, you're on fire" and pushed me out and shut the door. My mother grabbed me, I remember flying over the black iron porch railing and the bushes, and she rolled me on the ground and got the fire out. But I had 2nd and 3rd degree burns from my waist down on the back of me. "Luckily" it burned the nerves, so I never felt any pain, and I was only 7 so I didn't really grasp the severity of the whole thing. I was in the hospital for 2 weeks, they decided not to do any skin grafts, which I'm glad of now, because I would have had even more scars. I only have 2 left that you can see, on the back of my left thigh. They're really pale and not as noticable now as they were when I was a kid, (they used to be all blue and purple and red). I had a lot of follow-up treatment at UofM Mott's Children's hospital, which is why I'm a forever Wolverine fan, lol. And believe it or not, Halloween is still my favorite holiday. After that Halloween, we would go trick or treating downtown, or at the mall, or something like that. And my mom went trick or treating with me and Joey this year, for the first time in 29 years. Her right hand was severely burned on her ring and pinky fingers and some of her hand, too. As a nurse, that was bad, but you can't even tell anymore. U of M did a great job with her skin grafts.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:43 AM   #3973
Stazon Splitcoast

Ok, I think I am caught up now and plan on staying that way, lol.

Shell: saw the photos on FB, love them! Looks like you're having a great time.

Kathy: How did the cake turn out? I bet it was fabulous!

Dell: How did your team do on Sat? I forgot mine was even playing....lol.

Conni: Hope you had a good weekend in ND, sounds like an adventure.

Diana: Miss you!!!!!
Old 11-07-2012, 12:21 PM   #3974
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
the other day in Bath and Body Works, all of their candles were buy one get one free, I really only needed one, but hey if it is free ok. I picked a Lavender Vanilla as my free one, and it is so nice, I have it just sitting open on my counter in my dewing roo, where my computer is, it just smells so nice it here, very relaxing

Shell and Dell, with your Embroidery machines, can you do unpper and lower case letters?? I put the machine like you guys have on my chirstmas list, seems silly to have more than one machine, but they both do different things, and if I went out and looked, I am pretty sure hubby has at least 3 drills, and they all do the same thing, lol
Love, love, love B&B candles!! they are my absolute favorite and very long lasting.. I burn the vanilla about once a week.

Yes, it has that capability. Shell can probably tell you more about than me though...I know you can purchase additional software for it that has that capability. If memory serves me correctly though, I believe it came with some...I know, this is sad but I have only had it turned on a couple times. I was just talking w/DH the other day and told him I need to concentrate on learning my new machine. It is so hard for me to find the time working FT and then entertaining family/friends...etc..

Anyway, hope you get one and maybe we can learn to use it together.. Should talk Shell into doing a Skype with us!

Old 11-07-2012, 12:22 PM   #3975
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
I'm so glad that today is Day 1 of no political phone calls, flyers in the mail, commercials on both tv and radio, and any other way that I might have forgotten, lol. Whew! I should probably get the mail today, I haven't gotten it in the past few days because I'm tired of all of the political stuff....
Ain't that the truth!!!!

Old 11-07-2012, 12:23 PM   #3976
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Oh, my MIL is in a rehab/nursing home type place in her hometown (but we were trying to get here in our town......). She's in a locked unit which is a good thing, because she just doesn't remember or know where she is. My dh is supposed to go up this afternoon, but I have to stay here and get Joey off the bus. I'm a bit relieved that he is going and I have a good reason to be here, because the rest of his family is getting on my last nerve about this whole thing, and I really don't want to see them right now......
Glad she is in a safe environment.

Sounds like you need some rest my dear!

Old 11-07-2012, 12:26 PM   #3977
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Sorry about that, I couldn't remember if I'd mentioned that or not. It was Halloween, and I had on a long homemade witch costume (borrowed from one of my mom's friends). I walked by a short, squatty pumpkin that had a tall table candle in it, so the flame was WAY above the pumpkin (learned that way after the fact, when you're 7 you don't notice things like that). When the man answered the door and let the group of us into his entryway his exact words were "you can't come in here little girl, you're on fire" and pushed me out and shut the door. My mother grabbed me, I remember flying over the black iron porch railing and the bushes, and she rolled me on the ground and got the fire out. But I had 2nd and 3rd degree burns from my waist down on the back of me. "Luckily" it burned the nerves, so I never felt any pain, and I was only 7 so I didn't really grasp the severity of the whole thing. I was in the hospital for 2 weeks, they decided not to do any skin grafts, which I'm glad of now, because I would have had even more scars. I only have 2 left that you can see, on the back of my left thigh. They're really pale and not as noticable now as they were when I was a kid, (they used to be all blue and purple and red). I had a lot of follow-up treatment at UofM Mott's Children's hospital, which is why I'm a forever Wolverine fan, lol. And believe it or not, Halloween is still my favorite holiday. After that Halloween, we would go trick or treating downtown, or at the mall, or something like that. And my mom went trick or treating with me and Joey this year, for the first time in 29 years. Her right hand was severely burned on her ring and pinky fingers and some of her hand, too. As a nurse, that was bad, but you can't even tell anymore. U of M did a great job with her skin grafts.
Oh my!! What an ordeal you had to go through!!! That man was awfully rude or did he ever come back and check on you? I can understand him not wanting in his house but to shove you out the door and your poor mom!!! I am happy though that the burn marks have been repaired for the most part. Makes one think about lit candles though!

Old 11-07-2012, 12:27 PM   #3978
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Ok, I think I am caught up now and plan on staying that way, lol.

Shell: saw the photos on FB, love them! Looks like you're having a great time.

Kathy: How did the cake turn out? I bet it was fabulous!

Dell: How did your team do on Sat? I forgot mine was even playing....lol.

Conni: Hope you had a good weekend in ND, sounds like an adventure.

Diana: Miss you!!!!!
Gators won (barely) against Missori. Seemed like they were struggling a bit. I hope they can continue with the good record though.

Old 11-07-2012, 12:28 PM   #3979
Stazon Splitcoast

Ordered 3 8x10 pics of DH and I on the motorcycle going down Deals Gap in the mountains. They call it the Tail of the Dragon. It is 318 curves in 11 miles. Totally awesome thrill ride!! I plan to have the pics framed for DH and give to him for Christmas.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:24 PM   #3980
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Glad she is in a safe environment.

Sounds like you need some rest my dear!
Thanks, me too. And I do! lol But first I should probably take down my Halloween decorations...
Old 11-07-2012, 06:28 PM   #3981
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Oh my!! What an ordeal you had to go through!!! That man was awfully rude or did he ever come back and check on you? I can understand him not wanting in his house but to shove you out the door and your poor mom!!! I am happy though that the burn marks have been repaired for the most part. Makes one think about lit candles though!
It wasn't actually as bad as it sounds, for me anyway, because I was so young. But my poor mom she still won't have lit candles in her house. I don't remember if the man came out at all, not sure. My brother was there, but since he'd just turned 4, he thankfully doesn't remember it. That's a blessing, anyway.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:29 PM   #3982
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Gators won (barely) against Missori. Seemed like they were struggling a bit. I hope they can continue with the good record though.
Glad they won, hopefully this week they'll have a better game. I'm still happy that my UofM beat my brother's MSU...and it's been a couple of weeks, lol.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:31 PM   #3983
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Ordered 3 8x10 pics of DH and I on the motorcycle going down Deals Gap in the mountains. They call it the Tail of the Dragon. It is 318 curves in 11 miles. Totally awesome thrill ride!! I plan to have the pics framed for DH and give to him for Christmas.
What a cool gift! That sounds like a crazy ride too, lol. Totally cool that you'll have something to remember it by.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:47 PM   #3984
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

LOL...aint that the truth
Old 11-07-2012, 06:52 PM   #3985
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
That had to have been terribly frightening...My Friends mom got burned really bad once by having sparklers in her lap one broke landed on the package and caught her clothes on fire on 4th of July....It really scared all of us kids...but I think we got over it by the next year....I am glad you healed up well....
Old 11-07-2012, 06:55 PM   #3986
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
nice, he'll probably love that...sounds like an adventure.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:59 AM   #3987
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
That had to have been terribly frightening...My Friends mom got burned really bad once by having sparklers in her lap one broke landed on the package and caught her clothes on fire on 4th of July....It really scared all of us kids...but I think we got over it by the next year....I am glad you healed up well....
Thanks, I did. And I hardly even remember that I have those scars (helps that they're on the back of my leg so I can't see them, lol). As a kid, I never would've thought I'd be able to forget about them.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:01 AM   #3988
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm meeting some ladies at dh's office to clean up the kitchen, things like that this am. He's going to be cleaning his office too, whether he wants to or not.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:09 AM   #3989
Stazon Splitcoast

Hoopla is tonight (the fundraiser for Joey's school where our teachers play basketball with one of the middle schools teachers, and there's silent auctions). I'm headed to another mom's house to help her bag popcorn, they buy a large quantity from a movie theater (I think?) and put in smaller bags to sell. There will be 5 or 6 moms there, so it should probably go pretty quickly. Hopefully it will be fun, lol.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:12 AM   #3990
Stazon Splitcoast

Kathy, saw your ds's pants on FB that he made, they look great! I have a question about Cub Scout badges, is there any cheater non-sewer type glue that will stick badges on the shirts instead of sewing them on? I'm really horrible at sewing, it would look better if a kindergardner did it... The badges aren't iron-on like I thought they were, and they are shiny on the back so the product that one mom told me about won't work on them. Luckily I only have one to put on.....this time....lol.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:36 PM   #3991
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Kathy, saw your ds's pants on FB that he made, they look great! I have a question about Cub Scout badges, is there any cheater non-sewer type glue that will stick badges on the shirts instead of sewing them on? I'm really horrible at sewing, it would look better if a kindergardner did it... The badges aren't iron-on like I thought they were, and they are shiny on the back so the product that one mom told me about won't work on them. Luckily I only have one to put on.....this time....lol.
yes it is very stick I think it is called badge magic..they sell it at the craft shop.. similar to heat and bond, except its removeable & very very sticky) when it is time to replace a patch.

I have found if you iron on the shirt to warm it up and then put the patch down and put a towel cotton type down and then iron the patch really hot for a while the glue backing will make a very tight bond with the shirt and then i just tack it in place using a clear thread.. a zig zag every few spots along the edge seems to hold well through washes...I like the clear thread because it is hard to see stitching mistakes...
Old 11-09-2012, 01:37 PM   #3992
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Kathy, saw your ds's pants on FB that he made, they look great! I have a question about Cub Scout badges, is there any cheater non-sewer type glue that will stick badges on the shirts instead of sewing them on? I'm really horrible at sewing, it would look better if a kindergartner did it... The badges aren't iron-on like I thought they were, and they are shiny on the back so the product that one mom told me about won't work on them. Luckily I only have one to put on.....this time....lol.
that shiny will melt if the iron is hot enough I heat it to the shirt til it kind of sticks then flip the shirt inside out and iron that seems to melt it better...
Old 11-10-2012, 03:50 PM   #3993
Stazon Splitcoast

Hope everyone is having a wonderful Saturday.

DH discovered the paint I purchased a couple months ago. He asked me what I was going to do with it. I told him when he left for VA I was going to paint the guest BR and my craft room. Well, he got up this morning and painted the guest BR for me. I am glad he did because he had to go over the walls several times with the paint as the walls were just sucking it up. That BR had not been painted since the hse was built in 1995! We did not get to the craft room. I have to purge a lot of stuff and clean it out. I will definitely need his help with moving stuff around when it is finally ready to paint. So, I am not sure when that will get done. He starts his new semester with school next wk so he will back in the books again. He passed his last two classes with A's in both!

While DH painted I cleaned my stovetop and the oven. What a job!!! I will never purchase another steam cleaning oven again. It is a joke to say the least. I truly miss my self-cleaning oven. It was so much easier. I ended up having to use Easy Off in this oven and then steam clean it 4 times and not to mention scrub it down. Took me about 5 hrs total to get it done. But now it is ready for Thanksgiving!!!

Also, scrubbed down all my kitchen cabinets, appliances and toaster oven. My sis and BIL sent me a my birthday presents and OMG what a stash she sent me!!! A cute blue jean purse, a knife with bears on it, several other little things and a brand new Gevalia coffee pot!!! I have had my old Krups pot for over 25 yrs and she despised it when she was here last. She kept telling me she was going to send me one of these Gevalia's. It is programmable and I just love it!!! The coffee is awesome too!!! Having a cup as I write this now. I have such an awesome sister!!!

Btwn all the work DH and I did today we watched the Gator game. We won by the skin of our teeth.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:33 PM   #3994
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
yes it is very stick I think it is called badge magic..they sell it at the craft shop.. similar to heat and bond, except its removeable & very very sticky) when it is time to replace a patch.

I have found if you iron on the shirt to warm it up and then put the patch down and put a towel cotton type down and then iron the patch really hot for a while the glue backing will make a very tight bond with the shirt and then i just tack it in place using a clear thread.. a zig zag every few spots along the edge seems to hold well through washes...I like the clear thread because it is hard to see stitching mistakes...
Thank you so much!! I will check Joanns for it soon, and the clear thread too. I never thought of that.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:33 PM   #3995
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
that shiny will melt if the iron is hot enough I heat it to the shirt til it kind of sticks then flip the shirt inside out and iron that seems to melt it better...
Oh, great idea!!! I'll try that too. Thanks!!
Old 11-10-2012, 04:34 PM   #3996
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
After it's that hot, how do you get it off the shirt? With a butterknife or something like that?
Old 11-10-2012, 04:38 PM   #3997
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

DH discovered the paint I purchased a couple months ago. He asked me what I was going to do with it. I told him when he left for VA I was going to paint the guest BR and my craft room. Well, he got up this morning and painted the guest BR for me. I am glad he did because he had to go over the walls several times with the paint as the walls were just sucking it up. That BR had not been painted since the hse was built in 1995! We did not get to the craft room. I have to purge a lot of stuff and clean it out. I will definitely need his help with moving stuff around when it is finally ready to paint. So, I am not sure when that will get done. He starts his new semester with school next wk so he will back in the books again. He passed his last two classes with A's in both!

While DH painted I cleaned my stovetop and the oven. What a job!!! I will never purchase another steam cleaning oven again. It is a joke to say the least. I truly miss my self-cleaning oven. It was so much easier. I ended up having to use Easy Off in this oven and then steam clean it 4 times and not to mention scrub it down. Took me about 5 hrs total to get it done. But now it is ready for Thanksgiving!!!

Also, scrubbed down all my kitchen cabinets, appliances and toaster oven. My sis and BIL sent me a my birthday presents and OMG what a stash she sent me!!! A cute blue jean purse, a knife with bears on it, several other little things and a brand new Gevalia coffee pot!!! I have had my old Krups pot for over 25 yrs and she despised it when she was here last. She kept telling me she was going to send me one of these Gevalia's. It is programmable and I just love it!!! The coffee is awesome too!!! Having a cup as I write this now. I have such an awesome sister!!!

Btwn all the work DH and I did today we watched the Gator game. We won by the skin of our teeth.
How awesome that he helped you with the painting! The oven cleaning really does sound like a pain. What a great birthday box from your sister and BIL! Sounds like a lot of fun stuff. Enjoy your new coffee pot. My Wolverines won the same way today, must be going around lol.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:40 PM   #3998
Stazon Splitcoast

I took Joey and his friend to the Air Zoo this afternoon, they had a great time. I thought that the Veteran's Day celebration was today (with 3 airplanes they could get in, a scavenger hunt, etc) but it's tomorrow. Which is as is should be, but everything else has been on a Sat, so I just figured this would be too. Oops! lol They had fun anyway, lol.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:53 AM   #3999
Stazon Splitcoast

Joey and I took some disposable gloves with us when we went to return cans/bottles last night. They were from dh's office, over the past few weeks leading up to the election. I took Joey with me because I needed to break down and get him boots, lol. After using the bottle returns, I only had to pay $10 for his boots. So, maybe this will keep the snow away now......I'm not ready for it....
Old 11-12-2012, 07:49 AM   #4000
Glitter Guru

Quote:

well that was very nice of him to paint for you!! Sound like you worked your butt off too!!!

Awesome gift haul too, enjoy it all

My Creative Side