Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 05:14 PM   #2401
CBC Lady Violet

Ok. I knew one of the national skating competitors trained at the club where I took lessons last year. In fact, I watched her practice on more than one occasion.
But it is a bit to see that one of her coaches at the national championships is one the coaches that coached my sessions! (And he made us WORK!)

I did really enjoy the sessions last year though. I keep checking the club website to see if they are offering them again, because I would love to take them again.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:17 PM   #2402
Stazon Splitcoast

Evening!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-19-2013, 05:20 PM   #2403
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamijo View Post
Ugh- a little perturbed- I sent the pm about that unity stamp in the bst forum. I didn't hear anything back by pm and so I found the thread she commented there that she got the pm and would check. That was at 1:30 a.m. this morning. I understand that life is busy but is it that hard to respond to the pm instead of making me hunt down the thread (and I still haven't heard anything).
Some people don't check on the internet as often as other people do, especially on the weekend. This is the first time that I've checked in all day. If you're asking her how much shipping is going to be, she may be planning on taking the stamp to the PO on Monday to check for you too or maybe she took it there today, but just didn't get on here yet to tell you what it would cost to ship. I'd give her till Monday evening (in case she works) before getting worried about it, especially since she won't be able to mail it till Monday at the earliest anyway.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:29 PM   #2404
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chautona View Post
Has anyone here ever requested an estimate for remodeling? The one time we asked for one on our kitchen, we got nothing--except a good ribbing from the guy for not following through with the kitchen remodel (that we never got the estimate for). I kind of let him have it for that. Ahem.

Last week we asked for an estimate on the bathroom. I am wondering how long to expect him to get back to me.
I've never had an estimate done for inside home repairs since my dh does all of that, but I have had a car repair estimate, an estimate to resurface/extend our driveway and an estimate to remove trees from our yard. All of those estimates were completed in a day or two and I received them within a week (if they were mailing them to me). If you never got a written estimate for the kitchen and you haven't heard back from the guy in a week about the bathroom assuming that it's the same guy for both jobs - find someone new. My fil did remodeling full time until his heart transplant 4 years ago and dh does a little bit of remodeling (but mostly cabinet making) on the side. I just asked dh how long you should wait until you get an estimate and he said 3-5 days unless you've had communication with the person and have a reason you don't have the estimate before that. In this economy there are a ton of people who do remodeling that are looking for work and most of them are really good.

This is just my opinion, but if you're waiting longer than a week, how long are you going to wait for them to finish the job and how professional of a job is someone going to do when they can't be professional enough to give you a written estimate in a timely manner? I'd get another estimate. Too bad you don't live closer because we know a few really good people who do remodeling that dh and fil have met through work. I'm thinking that the commute from eastern PA to CA would be a killer.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:30 PM   #2405
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via Yahoo to cwilvie

Evening
Old 01-19-2013, 05:33 PM   #2406
Stazon Splitcoast

No, this isn't the same guy as the kitchen. I deliberately chose NOT to use that man, even though he is a good friend of ours.

I just didn't know if there was a standard for how long estimates usually take. Considering I made the first contact around the holidays and via email rather than calling, I gave this guy leeway with those. I suppose getting a second estimate from someone else might give me a good idea. I think it took 3-4 days to get just the plumbing estimate when we asked about that for the kitchen. So, hmm... maybe it's not as long as it seems, now that I think of it.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:35 PM   #2407
Chat Box Chicks Good Girl

Send a message via AIM to tamijo

Oh, I know that Misse- I guess my biggest thing is that she didn't respond to the PM to tell me that- she commented in the thread- I only happened to see it because I was looking for another stamp and saw that she had commented.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:37 PM   #2408
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
No, this isn't the same guy as the kitchen. I deliberately chose NOT to use that man, even though he is a good friend of ours.

I just didn't know if there was a standard for how long estimates usually take. Considering I made the first contact around the holidays and via email rather than calling, I gave this guy leeway with those. I suppose getting a second estimate from someone else might give me a good idea. I think it took 3-4 days to get just the plumbing estimate when we asked about that for the kitchen. So, hmm... maybe it's not as long as it seems, now that I think of it.
Have you had this guy do other work for you or has he done work for someone that you know who recommended him to you?
Old 01-19-2013, 05:37 PM   #2409
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Suzanne- I saw your ISO- Inky may have that one- not sure if she has it for sale but I know that I got it from SOMEONE in the PIF days.
Ok, so I'm nosy and had to go look and see what you were talking about. I have that set. Do you want me to stamp some? Actually, I may be willing to sell it.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:38 PM   #2410
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilvie View Post
Evening
Hello!
Old 01-19-2013, 05:38 PM   #2411
Stazon Splitcoast

Yes, he comes highly recommended from several sources. He's never done work for us, but I liked the idea of using him because he is so well respected.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:43 PM   #2412
Stazon Splitcoast

Honestly, if he didn't come so highly recommended, I would never have returned his call/email.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:44 PM   #2413
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Yes, he comes highly recommended from several sources. He's never done work for us, but I liked the idea of using him because he is so well respected.
Maybe he's really busy then? Maybe you can give him a few more days then, although I'd probably get a second estimate just to see how the two estimates line up.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:45 PM   #2414
Stazon Splitcoast

I decided to try something fun and have DD1 come up with a challenge for me. She chose one full sheet of 12x12 paper and told me to keep making cards with it until I'd used the entire sheet. I'm starting to regret letting her into my crafting world...I've made SIX cards using it and still have a chunk left. I'm starting to dislike this paper and the colors that are in it!

She's already decided that for her next challenge, she's going to pick a stamp set and make me use every stamp in it before I can put it away.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:47 PM   #2415
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Honestly, if he didn't come so highly recommended, I would never have returned his call/email.
If it were "busy" season I wouldn't be concerned about a few extra days from someone who comes so highly recommended, but I would think that just after the holidays is not necessarily busy season.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:49 PM   #2416
Stazon Splitcoast

It's so cool to have someone to craft with Cyndee you're lucky that she enjoys doing that too.

I have boys and they could care less about the crafts that I do.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:50 PM   #2417
Stazon Splitcoast

I finished ds2's birthday invites and nephew's Scooby Doo birthday card during nap time today. I only had to make 8 of the birthday invites for ds2 since we only invite our immediate family. Now I just have to make the thank you notes to match them, the pencil holders for his classmates at school since his teacher doesn't allow edible birthday treats and Valentine's Day cards for both boys. I know what I'm going to do for the birthday thank you cards and the pencil holders, but I have no clue what I'm going to do for the Valentine's Day cards yet. I've searched online, but haven't found something that I want to use yet.

I cased this one for the birthday invite:
video games in the real world / Mario Birthday Party Invitations - Set of 8 - Super Mario Party Supplies. $29.95, via Etsy.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:50 PM   #2418
Stazon Splitcoast

I love taking a stamp set and trying to make 5 totally different cards from it.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:53 PM   #2419
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
I decided to try something fun and have DD1 come up with a challenge for me. She chose one full sheet of 12x12 paper and told me to keep making cards with it until I'd used the entire sheet. I'm starting to regret letting her into my crafting world...I've made SIX cards using it and still have a chunk left. I'm starting to dislike this paper and the colors that are in it!

She's already decided that for her next challenge, she's going to pick a stamp set and make me use every stamp in it before I can put it away.
Ways to get rid of dp:
-make a matching envelope
-line an envelope with dp
-add matching decorative strips on the inside of the cards with the dp to tie it all together - sometimes I use a border punch and make a border strip to add to the inside, especially if I used a border punch on the front

Note to self for the future - dd making up challenges is a bad idea.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:02 PM   #2420
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by misse336 View Post
I finished ds2's birthday invites and nephew's Scooby Doo birthday card during nap time today. I only had to make 8 of the birthday invites for ds2 since we only invite our immediate family. Now I just have to make the thank you notes to match them, the pencil holders for his classmates at school since his teacher doesn't allow edible birthday treats and Valentine's Day cards for both boys. I know what I'm going to do for the birthday thank you cards and the pencil holders, but I have no clue what I'm going to do for the Valentine's Day cards yet. I've searched online, but haven't found something that I want to use yet.

I cased this one for the birthday invite:
video games in the real world / Mario Birthday Party Invitations - Set of 8 - Super Mario Party Supplies. $29.95, via Etsy.
Those are cute invites. Could have used those a few years ago.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:03 PM   #2421
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne View Post
It's so cool to have someone to craft with Cyndee you're lucky that she enjoys doing that too.

I have boys and they could care less about the crafts that I do.
Believe it or not, DS likes to make cards too. He's very creative and loves the coloring of images especially.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:05 PM   #2422
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Ways to get rid of dp:
-make a matching envelope
-line an envelope with dp
-add matching decorative strips on the inside of the cards with the dp to tie it all together - sometimes I use a border punch and make a border strip to add to the inside, especially if I used a border punch on the front

Note to self for the future - dd making up challenges is a bad idea.
I've done this a few times already!! Maybe I'll take what's left and line the envies!! Good idea!
Old 01-19-2013, 06:09 PM   #2423
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Those are cute invites. Could have used those a few years ago.
So what type of birthday parties do preteen boys want?
Old 01-19-2013, 06:12 PM   #2424
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
So what type of birthday parties do preteen boys want?
None. He said he's done with parties. But his were never very successful to begin with so that may be why he's given up on them.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:14 PM   #2425
CBC Lady Violet

IIRC, none of my brothers were really into "parties" per se at that age - and they all had tons of friends. They were more into just a few friends & doing something (like a trip to the beach or some other activity) - oh, and food was a must.
Party games etc. were a definite no-go.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:16 PM   #2426
Stazon Splitcoast

Nap time if I expect to finish episode 23 before I go to bed tonight. See ya all on the "other side."
Old 01-19-2013, 06:19 PM   #2427

Love dd1's idea
Old 01-19-2013, 06:24 PM   #2428
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Love dd1's idea
She's quite pleased with herself. She has several other ideas brewing as well. She has such a creative mind. Some of the stuff she comes up with, I have to ask myself "why didn't I think of that??" and she's only TEN!!

I'm very glad I told her we'd do it once a week rather than once a day!!
Old 01-19-2013, 06:27 PM   #2429
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
None. He said he's done with parties. But his were never very successful to begin with so that may be why he's given up on them.
Maybe he can just choose an activity (movie, paint ball, bowling or whatever he's currently into) for the family and a friend or two to do on/around his birthday.

Dh asked me the other day when we get to stop having birthday parties for the kids.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:27 PM   #2430

LOL
Old 01-19-2013, 06:30 PM   #2431
CBC Lady Violet

Quote:
Maybe he can just choose an activity (movie, paint ball, bowling or whatever he's currently into) for the family and a friend or two to do on/around his birthday.

Dh asked me the other day when we get to stop having birthday parties for the kids.
Tell him never?
Well, in my case anyway. In my family, once you get married, your spouse is responsible for your birthday/birthday party. For those still single, my parents still throw them. But we generally just do a family dinner with a cake for dessert, and then open our presents. So it isn't a huge deal really.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:31 PM   #2432
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Birthdays are a big deal in our house (except mine) so we will definitely do something special for him. Especially since this year he will be 13!
Old 01-19-2013, 06:39 PM   #2433
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemone View Post
Tell him never?
Well, in my case anyway. In my family, once you get married, your spouse is responsible for your birthday/birthday party. For those still single, my parents still throw them. But we generally just do a family dinner with a cake for dessert, and then open our presents. So it isn't a huge deal really.
We only invite our parents (3 sets since his are divorced) and our siblings with their families. Since his parents are divorced we have his brother/wife/2 boys, his dad's gf's daughter/dh/2 kids, and his dad's gf's son/wife/2 girls. Then on my side we have my sister/bil/2 boys. My brother and his family don't come. So with just immediate family we have 16 adults and 11 kids. For my birthday and dh's birthday we don't normally do much, although dh usually takes me out for dinner and I normally take him out for dinner. Plus there are a few gifts.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:40 PM   #2434
Stazon Splitcoast

We're going to be gone all day tomorrow so I better get a few things ready before I head to bed so the morning is easier. Night!
Old 01-19-2013, 06:45 PM   #2435
CBC Lady Violet

Quote:
We only invite our parents (3 sets since his are divorced) and our siblings with their families. Since his parents are divorced we have his brother/wife/2 boys, his dad's gf's daughter/dh/2 kids, and his dad's gf's son/wife/2 girls. Then on my side we have my sister/bil/2 boys. My brother and his family don't come. So with just immediate family we have 16 adults and 11 kids. For my birthday and dh's birthday we don't normally do much, although dh usually takes me out for dinner and I normally take him out for dinner. Plus there are a few gifts.
Yeah, with my family it ends up being quite a few too. We would have my parents, sibs/spouses/kids, and one aunt/uncle & my Grandma. Which if we are all there currently works out to 15 adults and 8 kids.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:15 AM   #2436

wow- everyone kind of disappeared last night!

Good Morning!
Old 01-20-2013, 04:24 AM   #2437
Stazon Splitcoast

G'night, Tami. Just finished episode 23. Volume 5 is done.

I had to leave out some of the things I wanted so that those who don't want to read 6 can stop. So, I kind of feel like episode 23 is weaker than I'd like, but it seems best to give people an "out."

But I'm dying to torture Willow and Aggie now. mmmwwwaahahahaha
Old 01-20-2013, 07:31 AM   #2438
Stazon Splitcoast

C is Here We Come the end of Aggie's series?

Last edited by Suzanne; 01-20-2013 at 10:11 AM..
Old 01-20-2013, 07:35 AM   #2439
CBC Lady Violet

LOL TODAYS CARTOON by Randy Glasbergen
Old 01-20-2013, 07:59 AM   #2440
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

g'morning

the gmail is still sending out spam to anyone who ever emailed me at it... I deleted all the email contacts in it and also all the google plus people...