Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 02:03 PM   #4121
Stazon Splitcoast

I did manage to avoid a sale at LSS, but not so much resisting as wasn't able to get there during their hours. hehe
Old 02-10-2013, 02:17 PM   #4122
Stazon Splitcoast

Evening!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-10-2013, 02:18 PM   #4123
CBC Lady Violet

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurlynn View Post
I'm trying to limit myself to the SU SAB small order but we'll see how that goes. Feeling the urge...yikes.
January club was my hostess month, and my stuff came in last week.
I used one stamp set out of it for the nephew's valentines, but hoping to get inky with more of it sometime this week.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:21 PM   #4124
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamijo View Post
taxes filed- now, to figure out how to spend (and save the refund). I think I'll do some for crafty stuff and some for running stuff and then save the rest.
Did your tax refund change much from the normal amount that you get with all of the new laws/taxes/refunds in effect? We don't have all of the paperwork back from the bank yet so we haven't filed ours yet. The bank always takes forever to send the stuff out - it drives me crazy each year.

You'll have to let us know what fun crafty goodies you get. I have to live through you spending your refund on fun things because ours goes for taxes (school/home) and insurances (auto/home) each year. Anything left over usually goes towards making an extra house payment or into savings. Very boring and not fun at all.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:24 PM   #4125
Stazon Splitcoast

Baby girl may finally be better now. Of course every time that I say this she wakes up worse the next day. DH has a technology conference at Hershey all day tomorrow and a graduate class at night, so she has to be well enough for me to take her with me when I take ds1 to basketball practice tomorrow night since he missed last week when he was sick.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:26 PM   #4126
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBgreendawn View Post
hubs is ready to wrap more meat... guess I have to get up.
Out of curiosity, how long do you have from the time the meat is butchered to wrap it and get it in the freezer? We've had a cow butchered twice and split with friends, but the meat always comes to us nicely cut up and packaged.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:32 PM   #4127
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcrazy View Post
Ohhhhhhh it looks like Stacy went shopping!! Whatcha get??? I've been wanting to order some dies......MFT, Memory Box,PTI ect............
Did you see the new words dies they are previewing at PTI in sneak peek #9? It looks like it's going to be a monthly thing? They don't say how much they're going to cost, but a $5 coordinating stamp set is being made too. I like the hello one so far.

I think that you'll like sketch #4 of today's contest too. It has banners on it.

I like the borders/frames sneak peek (#6) and want to see what the whole set looks like. It looks like a monthly series too. I was hoping for a new color (or two if I'm being greedy!) since it's their anniversary month, but haven't seen one so far.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:36 PM   #4128
CBC Lady Violet

Quote:
Originally Posted by misse336 View Post
Out of curiosity, how long do you have from the time the meat is butchered to wrap it and get it in the freezer? We've had a cow butchered twice and split with friends, but the meat always comes to us nicely cut up and packaged.
When we were young (before we ever went overseas), I can remember my parents doing this. We had two quite large chest freezers in the basement. IIRC, my parents bought a side of beef, a lamb, and at least 20 chickens every fall. But I know the beef & lamb came to us already cut & wrapped in butcher paper & tape, and always had what was in it written on it in marker. I think they bought pork too, but I don't remember. The chickens came from family friends who had a farm.
We also would either go to pick-your-own farms or the farmers market and I remember helping my parents chop, prepare & freeze bags of carrots, corn, beans, broccoli, cauliflower and I think beets for my Dad. We would do berries in their respective seasons as well. And we always made a trip to the apple orchard, and my Grandma would come one day, and Mom & Grandma would do a ton of pie crusts for the freezer, then they'd do some apple pies as well, and I remember peeling, cutting, and coring apples, then they would cook them down and then put them through the applesauce maker. No idea how many quarts of applesauce mom froze every year, but I'm sure it was quite a lot.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:43 PM   #4129
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemone View Post
When we were young (before we ever went overseas), I can remember my parents doing this. We had two quite large chest freezers in the basement. IIRC, my parents bought a side of beef, a lamb, and at least 20 chickens every fall. But I know the beef & lamb came to us already cut & wrapped in butcher paper & tape, and always had what was in it written on it in marker. I think they bought pork too, but I don't remember. The chickens came from family friends who had a farm.
We also would either go to pick-your-own farms or the farmers market and I remember helping my parents chop, prepare & freeze bags of carrots, corn, beans, broccoli, cauliflower and I think beets for my Dad. We would do berries in their respective seasons as well. And we always made a trip to the apple orchard, and my Grandma would come one day, and Mom & Grandma would do a ton of pie crusts for the freezer, then they'd do some apple pies as well, and I remember peeling, cutting, and coring apples, then they would cook them down and then put them through the applesauce maker. No idea how many quarts of applesauce mom froze every year, but I'm sure it was quite a lot.

I freeze some stuff too and can even more things since our freezer usually too full to add too many fruits too (and I like how they taste better canned), but I don't know if I could butcher my own meat. I'm a little bit squeamish and really don't like blood/guts. I had a brief "career" in the meat/deli department at SKH where I worked at the CS desk because I needed more hours to pay for college. Let's just say that it wasn't something that I enjoyed and ended with me cutting part of the tip off of one of my fingers and needing a skin graft to repair it. I pretty much stuck to any of the other departments to earn extra money after that, even thought they still wanted me to help in the meat/deli department.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:44 PM   #4130
CBC Lady Violet

Quote:
Did you see the new words dies they are previewing at PTI in sneak peek #9? It looks like it's going to be a monthly thing? They don't say how much they're going to cost, but a $5 coordinating stamp set is being made too. I like the hello one so far.

I think that you'll like sketch #4 of today's contest too. It has banners on it.

I like the borders/frames sneak peek (#6) and want to see what the whole set looks like. It looks like a monthly series too. I was hoping for a new color (or two if I'm being greedy!) since it's their anniversary month, but haven't seen one so far.
I'm tempted by the new YOF dies, since I have all the sets. It would be so nice to have dies for them - some of them I haven't even attempted to cut out.
But I have one big hesitation with them - I have one PTI flower set with the matching die. And have found matching the stamp up to the die to be very, very difficult and picky. And I don't want to spend the money on the dies, only to find that they are just as picky KWIM?
Old 02-10-2013, 02:59 PM   #4131
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
I'm tempted by the new YOF dies, since I have all the sets. It would be so nice to have dies for them - some of them I haven't even attempted to cut out.
But I have one big hesitation with them - I have one PTI flower set with the matching die. And have found matching the stamp up to the die to be very, very difficult and picky. And I don't want to spend the money on the dies, only to find that they are just as picky KWIM?
I have a few of the matching dies/stamp sets and have only had issues lining up one. I forget which one it is though - maybe it's the same as the one you're having problems with. I have a much harder time lining up the bitty banners stamp/die set that I got from SU since the stamps aren't clear.

Off to work on an endangered animal report with ds1.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:02 PM   #4132
Stazon Splitcoast

Does anyone have the long rectangle nesties? They're on my wish list but I'm wondering if I'd really make use out of them.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:11 PM   #4133
Stazon Splitcoast

Kelly, what SAB stuff did you get?
Old 02-10-2013, 03:12 PM   #4134
CBC Lady Violet

I don't have those ones Laurie. For me personally, I haven't bought any square or rectangle dies - at least not plain ones. I just look at them and go why would I buy the die when I can just cut it myself on the paper cutter KWIM? Circles and ovals I've bought dies since I can't cut those. I do have one or two special edged square and rectangular dies on my wish list (my Mom has the curved rectangles and I like them.), but can't see the sense in buying the plain ones. The only possible use for them I can see is if I wanted to cut a square or rectangle shape out of the middle of something, but even that can be done with a ruler, pencil & exacto knife KWIM?
Old 02-10-2013, 03:15 PM   #4135
CBC Lady Violet

Quote:
Kelly, what SAB stuff did you get?
I got a lot of stuff actually. I spent extra 'cause it was my hostess month, but pretty well everyone else spent extra because they wanted SAB stuff too, so I ended up with quite a bit of hostess money besides. Got a ton of stuff from the current mini as well.
From the SAB catty specifically, I got the petite label punch & matching stamp set. I also bought the stamp set out of the mini that has more stamps to match that punch.
I do have the embossing folder out of the SAB catty, but I got that for Christmas.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:23 PM   #4136
CBC Lady Violet

A while back, there were a couple CBCs that said that they really liked/wanted a particular embossing folder. I think it was a leaf one. Does anyone remember who it was, and was this the folder in question: Embossed Holly by MommaPatti - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Old 02-10-2013, 03:23 PM   #4137
Stazon Splitcoast

I did get the rectangle nesties because I like the embossed edge too. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't have bought them. I don't have the squares yet though.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:26 PM   #4138
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
A while back, there were a couple CBCs that said that they really liked/wanted a particular embossing folder. I think it was a leaf one. Does anyone remember who it was, and was this the folder in question: Embossed Holly by MommaPatti - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
I think it might have been Stacy, or did she already have it. I like what she did with the corners, breaks up the space.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:26 PM   #4139
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Quote:
depends on the animal but, for beef if you can hang it 28 days you will have the most tender steaks...
( smaller things are less) now, this is grass fed beef also.

we pay a guy with a Mobil slaughter vehicle to do that, and quarter it. ( he removes the things you are not going to eat too.... tail, hide, feet etc...

so, the first year we bought this house we "split" a cow with the neighbors, the slaughter guy took their half back to the butcher shop and cut and wrapped theirs for them... ( it did not hang long enough, every time they thawed out steaks blood leaked everywhere on the plate they were thawing it out on...) thats what the hanging/aging does... it gets rid of that.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:28 PM   #4140
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Quote:
Does anyone have the long rectangle nesties? They're on my wish list but I'm wondering if I'd really make use out of them.
yes, I like those better than the classic rectangles. ( I never use that set ) but, I use mine mostly for sentiments that were stamped crooked on scraps.

because, although I am good with my paper trimmer its easier to get every bit of the scraps used up to stamp sentiments on them.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:30 PM   #4141
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcrazy View Post
Ohhhhhhh it looks like Stacy went shopping!! Whatcha get??? I've been wanting to order some dies......MFT, Memory Box,PTI ect............
Qty: 1 Item: AI-G2632 Age & Treachery - Unmounted Rubber Stamps
Qty: 1 Item: AI-G3508 B-Four - Unmounted Rubber Stamps
Qty: 1 Item: AI-G2630 Cleverly Disguised - Unmounted Rubber Stamps
Qty: 1 Item: AI-F2637 Goofy Things - Unmounted Rubber Stamps
Qty: 1 Item: PB-4303F Moment Of Joy - Rubber Stamps
Qty: 1 Item: PB-4237K Awakening - Rubber Stamp
Qty: 1 Item: PB-2618J Cluck! Quack! - Rubber Stamps
Qty: 1 Item: PB-2840F Good Mate - Rubber Stamps
Qty: 1 Item: MFT-01291 Die-namics Rolled Daisy
Qty: 1 Item: MFT-01613 Die-namics Sentiment Strips
Qty: 1 Item: CS-71414 ColorBox Cat's Eye Fluid Chalk Ink Pad - Pink Pastel
Qty: 1 Item: CS-71445 ColorBox Cat's Eye Fluid Chalk Ink Pad - Gray Whale
Qty: 1 Item: CS-71424 ColorBox Cat's Eye Fluid Chalk Ink Pad - Ice Blue
Qty: 1 Item: CS-71436 ColorBox Cat's Eye Fluid Chalk Ink Pad - Creamy Brown
Qty: 1 Item: CS-71405 ColorBox Cat's Eye Fluid Chalk Ink Pad - Wisteria
Qty: 1 Item: CS-71444 ColorBox Cat's Eye Fluid Chalk Ink Pad - Toffee

have not unpacked it yet, but it came on friday

ETA and stopped in a real store last tuesday when I got ice so that was another 55. and it was mostly 12 loose sheets of paper, one 6" pad, some glue. some pop dots, mostly "needed" stuff lol as much as someone like me might actually "need nothing" lol

Last edited by JBgreendawn; 02-10-2013 at 04:43 PM..
Old 02-10-2013, 04:32 PM   #4142
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

IE we could very well pay to have the meat hung, cut and wrapped but, I think that place (local) does not hang it long enough because, maybe they have too much business for how much space they have? ( who knows)

we have um shoot that solid surface stuff for counters, a commercial meat saw, and a walk in freezer hanging room ( cement so you can hose off the walls) in the barn. and we know how to do it so, we just do. its just a really long weekend once a year. ( and I know what that animal ate so, I'm more willing to eat it) and a commercial vacuum sealer machine with bags for it ( from Cabela's ) the ones made for home use do not hold up and get too hot trying to do that much meat at once.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:43 PM   #4143
CBC Lady Violet

We definitely did not have the special equipment, or the space for the equipment for my parents to have done it ourselves.
That said, even having it done by the butcher, it ended up much cheaper in the long run than buying from the grocery store.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:51 PM   #4144
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

oh it is, I'm considering ordering like a pig... don't want to raise them ( at all ) hubs thinks it would be "fun", but. I pretty much have smelled enough of this to last me forever and do not want to do it anymore... but, right now we still can. who knows what it will be like when we are older. ( the older I get the lazier I get )
Old 02-10-2013, 04:53 PM   #4145
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

i dont know if these would work for dishes or not, just caught my eye...

soap / Knit Butterfly Wash Cloth WC1656 | Free Patterns | Yarn
Old 02-10-2013, 04:57 PM   #4146
Watercolor Wizard

Poor DH. He got a letter from his Dr. yesterday that it is time for him to have a colonoscopy. He couldn't believe it has been five years, but when we did the math, it has.
It makes for a miserable 24 hours, but his Dad died of colon cancer so it is a "must" for him.

"Adopt the pace of Nature: her secret is patience."~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 02-10-2013, 04:57 PM   #4147
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

So cute... link is a dead end though, but they look like PB bunnies to me??

Handmade Card Ideas (Easter) / k. I have this stamp Silke Shimazu's PaperCrafts. March 19, 2012 Bunny Friends Easter Card. Silke.

eta its this stamp cut up...

http://pinterest.com/pin/155022412145587970/
Old 02-10-2013, 04:59 PM   #4148
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

I guess you'll just have to plan a nice dinner for the "after" evening...

yep, hubs dad's a prostrate survivor so I finally get the man in to a dr. to get him checked so they have a bench mark for when he is older right... they wont do anything till he's fifty.

It has taken me my whole adult life to get this man into a dr.'s for a check up.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:59 PM   #4149
Chat Box Chicks Good Girl

Send a message via AIM to tamijo

Quote:
Did your tax refund change much from the normal amount that you get with all of the new laws/taxes/refunds in effect? We don't have all of the paperwork back from the bank yet so we haven't filed ours yet. The bank always takes forever to send the stuff out - it drives me crazy each year.

You'll have to let us know what fun crafty goodies you get. I have to live through you spending your refund on fun things because ours goes for taxes (school/home) and insurances (auto/home) each year. Anything left over usually goes towards making an extra house payment or into savings. Very boring and not fun at all.
nope- not yet. It may change next year we'll see
Old 02-10-2013, 05:02 PM   #4150
CBC Lady Violet

Oh YAY! Mythbusters tonight is finally a new episode. Hasn't been a new one since before Christmas I think.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:03 PM   #4151
Watercolor Wizard

DH is really good about getting all his check ups. He even has his teeth cleaned every six months, like you are supposed to. He has a complete physical every December, and gets his blood checked every six months. (his Dr is really good, and takes extra precautions because DH is diabetic)

The colonoscopy thing is just YUCK. I was so glad when I had my first one last year, and they said "come back in 5 years".

Old 02-10-2013, 05:07 PM   #4152
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Mil had one once... because of his dad... and they have to put her to sleep for it... and she told them last time they wanted her in No, she said I am 70 years old and NO...
Old 02-10-2013, 05:10 PM   #4153
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

right now... there is an "add" for a news story coming up after all the other adds... horse meat mixed into regular ( some other kind of meat for people to eat ) ( no details )

I swear the news about food is so depressing everytime you hear any of it.

ETA ( its in the UK somewhere )
Old 02-10-2013, 05:12 PM   #4154
Watercolor Wizard

I got a couple of bday cards (an adult nephew and an aunt) and four valentines (the Louisville grandkids, and my out of town nieces) made today. Not thrilled with any of them. Some days it just doesn't flow. Any ideas for a nephew who is turning 14 this week? He is out of the little boy stuff, but not grown up yet. I'm thinking about a boyish version of this. I have decided to start giving him cash, because every time he opens a gift from us, he gives me the " are you kdding me" look.

card possibilities / Money candles bday card~Austin?

Old 02-10-2013, 05:14 PM   #4155
CBC Lady Violet

Quote:
right now... there is an "add" for a news story coming up after all the other adds... horse meat mixed into regular ( some other kind of meat for people to eat ) ( no details )

Good grief - that story is at least two weeks old.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:15 PM   #4156
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

I think that would be brilliant for a boy that age..
Old 02-10-2013, 05:15 PM   #4157
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

nope, second time around they found it again

( eta Ive actually been fed horse meat once... dont recommend it..)
( its very stringy)
Old 02-10-2013, 05:16 PM   #4158
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

I heard some of this on the radio while driving. It was a burger chain in the UK. Their burgers were 29% horse meat. It is a big deal because in UK they love their horses like we love dogs here. Horse meat is redder and leaner than beef.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:21 PM   #4159
CBC Lady Violet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmom View Post
I heard some of this on the radio while driving. It was a burger chain in the UK. Their burgers were 29% horse meat. It is a big deal because in UK they love their horses like we love dogs here. Horse meat is redder and leaner than beef.
Couple weeks ago it was a major grocery store chain. Something is wrong in their manufacturing system somewhere I think.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:26 PM   #4160
Watercolor Wizard

(CNN) — Burger King announced Thursday that it had terminated its relationship with European supplier Silvercrest Foods after finding traces of horse meat in beef patties at a Silvercrest facility.

Silvercrest provided beef for Burger King restaurants in the United Kingdom, Ireland and Denmark. Burger King said that while samples of beef from restaurants in these countries showed no evidence of contamination, four samples from a Silvercrest plant in Ireland showed “very small trace levels of equine DNA.”

Read more at Burger King Admits Horse Meat in Patties in UK | KTLA 5

Read more: Burger King Admits Horse Meat in Patties in UK | KTLA 5