Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree87Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2013, 07:35 PM   #4201
Stazon Splitcoast

Kelly, my dear friend Cathe LOVES Georgette Heyer and Morgann read quite a few of the ones Cathe sent me. Alas, I tried to read one... either Fredericka or Sprigged Muslin and couldn't get into it.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 05-02-2013, 07:36 PM   #4202
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm not a huge Regency fan, but I am a huge Austen fan. That woman had an amazing sense of humor.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:37 PM   #4203
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Its also possible, that some of the people who make the marketing decisions are not readers... there is not a law against that. ( should be but...)

so, they hire a marketing expert that does not really "get it"
or its just sloppy, they don't have a cross reference from what they sell and what a complete series is.

I have not read any Anne of green gables books seen the shows or anything so I would have no clue I was missing it until I read it if the story follows closely from one book to the next.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:38 PM   #4204
Stazon Splitcoast

I think I just solved my spoiler issue. I am feeling pretty much brilliant right now.

Unless I talk myself out of it later. Then I will feel stupid.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:39 PM   #4205
CBC Lady Violet

Quote:
Originally Posted by misse336 View Post
I'm not a big fan of that time period her books are set in so I've never read any of them.
Well, most "English" professors/literature people whatever you want to call them are not necessarily impressed that I hate most of the Bronte sisters work. I like Jane Eyre, and don't mind Villette (though it IS a bit odd) or The Professor, but I can NOT STAND Wuthering Heights.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:40 PM   #4206
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

I never finished Wuthering Heights either I think... it annoyed me and I took it back to the library when I was a teenager...
Old 05-02-2013, 07:43 PM   #4207
Stazon Splitcoast

I HATED Wuthering Heights too! I refused to touch any other Bronte works for ages because of it.

Jane Eyre and Tenant of Wildfell Hall (or whatever it is) are choke-down-able. I don't hate them but I won't read them again. I will watch if someone puts the movie on but I won't put it in myself. Gothic novels are NOT my thing (Says the gal with a semi-gothic in progress).

I love Austen's satire on the gothic novel though. Northanger Abbey is SO funny.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:54 PM   #4208
CBC Lady Violet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chautona View Post
I HATED Wuthering Heights too! I refused to touch any other Bronte works for ages because of it.

Jane Eyre and Tenant of Wildfell Hall (or whatever it is) are choke-down-able. I don't hate them but I won't read them again. I will watch if someone puts the movie on but I won't put it in myself. Gothic novels are NOT my thing (Says the gal with a semi-gothic in progress).

I love Austen's satire on the gothic novel though. Northanger Abbey is SO funny.
yeah, gothic is definitely not a genre I do as a general rule. However, a lot of those works were required reading for my high school English classes. When I went through, at least 5 of your total credits had to be in English. So I took a lot of English!

Last edited by Anemone; 05-02-2013 at 08:00 PM.. Reason: shortening the novel!
Old 05-02-2013, 07:59 PM   #4209
CBC Lady Violet

Wow. Just looked at my post - quite the novel & quite the tangent I got on there. Sorry chickies! Just let your eyes gloss over & scroll past. Or I can delete it. Hmmmmmm.........
Old 05-02-2013, 08:00 PM   #4210
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh, the advantages of attending ACE schools where literature was biographies of Christian missionaries and/or martyrs and things like Pilgrim's Progress.

I chose what classics I read based upon my interest. War and Peace wasn't a favorite either, but I finished it out of sheer determination. I hardly remember a word.

LOVED Of Human Bondage, though. That was great.

I've tried to read Dickens, but his descriptions annoy me. I much prefer the film adaptations. I'm convinced that if Dickens had been born in the 20th century, he would have been a screenwriter.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:02 PM   #4211
Stazon Splitcoast

and in my opinion, Hawthorne is the most overrated author in American Lit. Yes, Scarlet Letter was a genius in plot idea, in execution, well, just execute me before you make me read that tome of verbosity. It is my not so humble opinion that Hawthorne's strategy in writing was, "Why use one word when ten will do?"
Old 05-02-2013, 08:03 PM   #4212
Stazon Splitcoast

and I always think I hate Poe... but then I read portions of The Raven or the Fall of the House of Usher... or Annabell Lee... and then I change my mind. Why do I think I don't like him when I like so much of his stuff?

Probably because I don't think much of him as a person, eh? I bet that is part of why I don't like Dickens. Adulterous, humanist dawg that he was.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:04 PM   #4213
Stazon Splitcoast

And, being the hypocrite that I am, I love Gaskell, although her personal life wasn't exactly pristine. SNORT
Old 05-02-2013, 08:14 PM   #4214
CBC Lady Violet

Quote:
Oh, the advantages of attending ACE schools where literature was biographies of Christian missionaries and/or martyrs and things like Pilgrim's Progress.

I chose what classics I read based upon my interest. War and Peace wasn't a favorite either, but I finished it out of sheer determination. I hardly remember a word.

LOVED Of Human Bondage, though. That was great.

I've tried to read Dickens, but his descriptions annoy me. I much prefer the film adaptations. I'm convinced that if Dickens had been born in the 20th century, he would have been a screenwriter.
I did ACE too, and I agree they had some fabulous books, but as a teacher, not a fan of their program as a whole. My sister and I were attending what at the time was an ACE school. They limited how many pages of work you could do a day so that you didn't finish your whole year's work too much before the end of the year. I would be finish all my work before lunchtime and have nothing to do for half the day! I remember my parents having to fight the school to allow them to provide me with a French curriculum to work on in the afternoon (I had transferred to the ACE school from French immersion). My parents homeschooled us the next year, and I had my entire year's worth of ACE paces done in all subjects before Christmas. And that was without working a full school day. My parents had to order me a whole second curriculum for the same grade so that I would have something to do from Jan- June!
Old 05-02-2013, 08:14 PM   #4215
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

tis OK Kelly... your among friends... I'm editing photos, got 6 cards done this evening before I played doorman ( for a service gate) for hubs to drive the tractor back and forth with loads of dirt... that was an hour had the idea I would make one or two more but, I used up all the images I colored the other day and I an half tempted to toss the other already colored images on the table because, I don't like how the skin tones turned out anymore and I have not done so because, its not a stamp I bought yet...
Old 05-02-2013, 08:15 PM   #4216
CBC Lady Violet

I don't mind Dickens, and have read most of it, but it isn't what I would pick up for casual reading.
Loathe Poe. But then, I hate suspense/creepy etc. which pretty much covers most of Poe.
Hawthorne I think I have actually read only the Scarlet Letter.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:20 PM   #4217
CBC Lady Violet

Oy. Was sitting half-cross-legged for a while and now put my foot down. OUCHIE the pins & needles. My leg is actually twitching........
Old 05-02-2013, 08:21 PM   #4218
Stazon Splitcoast

Seven Gables is much more verbose than Scarlet Letter.

I flew through my PACEs too. LOVED them. I never had a school limit me at all. I spent summers reading all the things they didn't include. Literature, economics, things like the Federalist and Anti-Federalist papers... etc.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:26 PM   #4219
CBC Lady Violet

Quote:
Seven Gables is much more verbose than Scarlet Letter.

I flew through my PACEs too. LOVED them. I never had a school limit me at all. I spent summers reading all the things they didn't include. Literature, economics, things like the Federalist and Anti-Federalist papers... etc.
This school did - I know my parents fought it, and the fact that they wouldn't budge on this issue was one of the driving factors in the reason I was only there one year and that they started homeschooling the following year.
I think ACE is definitely structured for only a particular type of student though. Any auditory or kinesthetic learner would find it VERY hard-going and I found it very lacking in real-world connection. Aside from the fact that one really has to be self-motivated. At least the way the school I attended was run - since even in 3rd grade I set my own lesson plans/pages per day & test dates.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:33 PM   #4220
Stazon Splitcoast

My educational situation was weird.

1. We moved a lot.
2. My dad got disillusioned with the school system and opted for private schools after first grade. As a kid, I never realized what a sacrifice that was. We had no money. That's part of why. LOL.

I had two kindergartens.
Went to first grade at the second kindergarten.

Second and half of third grades were in Mesa at the best school I ever attended. GREAT school. LOVED it.

Half of third through fifth grades I went to SDA schools with a more "open classroom" kind of thing. I pretty much learned NOTHING during those years except for what Dad taught me at home.

Started sixth grade pretty close to on grade anyway (except for math) and did a year and a half with ACE. Got ahead. Then I homeschooled for half seventh grade to finish out the year.

Went to an Abeka school for half eighth grade. HATED Abeka. Too limiting. Most was stuff I'd already done. Hated that half-year. Second half of the year, I taught myself at home. Read all the Abeka books, learned how to type. Read a BUNCH of other stuff.

Ninth grade was in Missouri. I had a choice of taking the test to move up in PACES to where I would be if I had stayed in an ACE school or just pick up where I left off. I wanted to pick up where I left off. Didn't want to miss anything. Did two years of work there in one year.

Moved 30 miles away to Siloam Springs AK. Enrolled in a school there. Two weeks later, we went to CA on vacation and never went home. Finally enrolled in late October at a school in Rosamond. They wrote fro transcripts. The MO school had sent EVERYTHING to Siloam Springs. Kept no copies. The Siloam School had no record of me. No records. I had no proof I'd done anything for high school at all. The CA school took the MO's school's word that I'd done a full year's worth of school (or more) but only gave me the one year's worth of credits. They did, however, let me continue at the last PACE finished. So, I had to do 3 years worth of credits with two years worth of PACES left. It was NOT easy. But I did it.

LOVED PACEs. LOL
Old 05-02-2013, 08:35 PM   #4221
Stazon Splitcoast

Any Facebook gals who are willing to help out Challice, I won't complain (and I get to show off my adorable Benjamin (or as Braelyn persists in calling him, "Benjermin")

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jewel...1833126&rest=1
Old 05-02-2013, 08:45 PM   #4222
CBC Lady Violet

Quote:
My educational situation was weird.

1. We moved a lot.
2. My dad got disillusioned with the school system and opted for private schools after first grade. As a kid, I never realized what a sacrifice that was. We had no money. That's part of why. LOL.

I had two kindergartens.
Went to first grade at the second kindergarten.

Second and half of third grades were in Mesa at the best school I ever attended. GREAT school. LOVED it.

Half of third through fifth grades I went to SDA schools with a more "open classroom" kind of thing. I pretty much learned NOTHING during those years except for what Dad taught me at home.

Started sixth grade pretty close to on grade anyway (except for math) and did a year and a half with ACE. Got ahead. Then I homeschooled for half seventh grade to finish out the year.

Went to an Abeka school for half eighth grade. HATED Abeka. Too limiting. Most was stuff I'd already done. Hated that half-year. Second half of the year, I taught myself at home. Read all the Abeka books, learned how to type. Read a BUNCH of other stuff.

Ninth grade was in Missouri. I had a choice of taking the test to move up in PACES to where I would be if I had stayed in an ACE school or just pick up where I left off. I wanted to pick up where I left off. Didn't want to miss anything. Did two years of work there in one year.

Moved 30 miles away to Siloam Springs AK. Enrolled in a school there. Two weeks later, we went to CA on vacation and never went home. Finally enrolled in late October at a school in Rosamond. They wrote fro transcripts. The MO school had sent EVERYTHING to Siloam Springs. Kept no copies. The Siloam School had no record of me. No records. I had no proof I'd done anything for high school at all. The CA school took the MO's school's word that I'd done a full year's worth of school (or more) but only gave me the one year's worth of credits. They did, however, let me continue at the last PACE finished. So, I had to do 3 years worth of credits with two years worth of PACES left. It was NOT easy. But I did it.

LOVED PACEs. LOL
I didn't move around tons, but I sure did a lot of types of schooling.
K4 - 2nd grade was public French Immersion.
3rd grade was private ACE school.
4-5 was homeschool.
6-8 was at the mission school when we first went overseas, though I should note that I did 7 & 8 all in one year.
9 & 10 I homeschooled because we couldn't get high school correspondence from overseas. At that time, the ministry would only let you take classes for up to three years out-of-country, so I would have been able to take gr. 9, but not 10. They actually advised my parents to just homeschool.
11 I did Abeka video school
12 & my OAC year I did by correspondence from the Ministry of Education for my province.

And have used Abeka as a student & teacher, it is one of my least favourite curriculums. I think there are a few things they have right, but their curriculum is mired in the 19th and 20th centuries and needs a major kick in the behind into the 21st.

Last edited by Anemone; 05-02-2013 at 08:49 PM..
Old 05-02-2013, 08:48 PM   #4223
Stazon Splitcoast

Man... I had a great idea for the next sketch last night and I can't remember it now!

Oh wait. That flower stamp. That's right. Okay. Maybe I'll take you guys in and do that.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:49 PM   #4224
Stazon Splitcoast

Dear Double Post,

I don't like you. Please go away.

Not so lovingly,

Me
Old 05-02-2013, 09:01 PM   #4225
CBC Lady Violet

Quote:
Dear Double Post,

I don't like you. Please go away.

Not so lovingly,

Me
Oh yes! It is driving me batty!
Old 05-02-2013, 09:04 PM   #4226
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Quote:
Any Facebook gals who are willing to help out Challice, I won't complain (and I get to show off my adorable Benjamin (or as Braelyn persists in calling him, "Benjermin")

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jewel...1833126&rest=1
this says I have to like someone named jewery to go? when I click on it?

what will happen after that? is there a second thing to do?
Old 05-02-2013, 09:04 PM   #4227
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

The last card I tossed together tonight

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...0&ppuser=83767
Old 05-02-2013, 09:14 PM   #4228
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh... I'd already liked it to help someone last year so I didn't get that. If you like it, it'll ask you to vote for Ben. (the cute kid in the blue shirt). But if it's a hassle like that, don't bother. UGH.

OFf to see your card.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:17 PM   #4229
Stazon Splitcoast

I think I forgot the main stamp I was trying to buy with my unity order!
Old 05-02-2013, 09:29 PM   #4230
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

I can only see a girl dressed like a fairy and a girl peeking from behind a mask?

I clicked on view all entries but, I think I may be looking in the wrong place?
Old 05-02-2013, 09:32 PM   #4231
Chat Box Chick Enabler

Quote:
I think I forgot the main stamp I was trying to buy with my unity order!
Email and see if they can add it.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:34 PM   #4232
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

I clicked every single thing on that page, random, recent, what ever the third choice was... it only shows me two girls on the recent uploads and nothing on the other two choices.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:35 PM   #4233
Stazon Splitcoast

I got the order today. That's how I figured it out. UGH
Old 05-02-2013, 09:36 PM   #4234
Stazon Splitcoast

When I voted, Ben was below her. My page should have a link to it though.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:37 PM   #4235
Chat Box Chick Enabler

Quote:
I got the order today. That's how I figured it out. UGH
Well, that stinks!
Old 05-02-2013, 09:41 PM   #4236
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

I got it to work... so I unliked them turned it off, went to the home page, seen you had a link to a kid in a blue shirt. clicked on it, hit like again. turned that off. then went back to the home page and then clicked your link again and ta-da it worked...
Old 05-02-2013, 09:43 PM   #4237
Stazon Splitcoast

Should you have to heat set Amuse ink?
Old 05-02-2013, 10:09 PM   #4238
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

dunno... what kind is it? flip the pad over and say what kind of ink it is?

dye ink? pigment ink?
Old 05-02-2013, 10:12 PM   #4239
Stazon Splitcoast

I forced myself to tape this card so I'd sew it tomorrow. As it is, it'll never stay "down" if I don't sew. I think it's what this stupid sketch needs to give it some "oomph."

Pigment ink is what it says.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:15 PM   #4240
Stazon Splitcoast

This Teresa Collins kit on today's peachycheap thing--love it. Might have to have it.