Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2012, 06:11 PM   #41
CBC Lady Violet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmom View Post
Kelly, any day will work for me for the CBC SS reveal, just have to give me time to get home from work.
I think we usually do about 9pm EST, as that is still early enough for most east coast peeps, but late enough that west coast peeps have actually had time to get home from work etc. and it should be mid-morning for Shannah.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:11 PM   #42
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurlynn View Post
Ok, 12yo ds2 is really pushing me to my limits...I can feel my blood starting to boil already.
Don't let him make you crazy, Laurie. It is something boys that age do when their Dads aren't "present" anymore. It will get better,and he will appreciate why you have to do the things you do.

"Adopt the pace of Nature: her secret is patience."~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-23-2012, 06:11 PM   #43
Stazon Splitcoast

Christmas parties...as far as I know, my work doesn't do one. One of my favorite parts of the holidays was a work party.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:14 PM   #44
Watercolor Wizard

We used to have one heck of a Christmas work party, complete with nice gifts from management. Doesn't happen at all anymore. Darn stinkin economy.

"Adopt the pace of Nature: her secret is patience."~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 09-23-2012, 06:17 PM   #45
CBC Lady Violet

Quote:
Christmas parties...as far as I know, my work doesn't do one. One of my favorite parts of the holidays was a work party.
I think they have to be done right though for people to enjoy them. A lot of people really don't like them, and then there is also the fact that some places have them right when the season is busiest and people have other obligations. Attendance at my office Christmas parties is optional, so that helps. Some people go some years and not others if they have other obligations and there are no issues with that.
My company does a company-wide one every second year, and attendance is optional. And usually each branch does their own every year & decides what they want to do. Some do potluck, some go out to restaurant, some just do drinks at happy hour, some do something different every year.
I think there are companies where making an appearance at the company Christmas party is NOT optional if you want to advance in your career, and I don't think I would do well working in a place like that. I'm not into high-stress/competitive.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:18 PM   #46
Stazon Splitcoast

I know, I just have to vent here instead of directly at him. He's been behind on homework again. Is he not listening at school or what?! Trying to get him to use the school provided planner, but it's not there yet. He's participating in this 3 yr survey at school and has received two Target gift cards so far that he wants to run out and spend. I said get caught up on homework and we'll see. He replies, "I earned these so I can spend them." I reply, "yes you earned them but you haven't earned the right to spend them." He also wants to save for an ipod but no, let's hurry up and spend the money elsewhere. Oh, I'm SO unfair...
Old 09-23-2012, 06:20 PM   #47
CBC Lady Violet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmom View Post
We used to have one heck of a Christmas work party, complete with nice gifts from management. Doesn't happen at all anymore. Darn stinkin economy .

And I think that is an issue a lot of places. Budgets are tight, and there just isn't money for those kinds of things anymore.
My branch has a largish conference room. I like when we do a potluck in the conference room. We end up with good food, we get a chance to socialize & laugh, it didn't cost a lot of money, and I don't have to look like I just stepped off the pages of Vogue.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:23 PM   #48
Stazon Splitcoast

I love potlucks, mainly because having a picky eater family, it's my one time to get the works without listening to the family complain.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:29 PM   #49
CBC Lady Violet

Quote:
I know, I just have to vent here instead of directly at him. He's been behind on homework again. Is he not listening at school or what?! Trying to get him to use the school provided planner, but it's not there yet. He's participating in this 3 yr survey at school and has received two Target gift cards so far that he wants to run out and spend. I said get caught up on homework and we'll see. He replies, "I earned these so I can spend them." I reply, "yes you earned them but you haven't earned the right to spend them." He also wants to save for an ipod but no, let's hurry up and spend the money elsewhere. Oh, I'm SO unfair...
Well, you can tell him that when your friend (moi!) was young - one did not get to do ANYTHING (other than eat dinner with the family if you weren't done yet) after school until homework was done. One had to sit and do homework and did not get to play, watch tv, read, go outdoors, play computer or video games or basically do anything EXCEPT homework until the homework was done. And when I was in highschool and had a heavy courseload, that sometimes meant I came home at 3, and except for dinner, did homework until 9 or 10pm (thankfully, that was only one year - grade 11. And my parents were not in agreement with the crazy workload and would sometimes send me down to the gym or out to skate on the ice or something for an hour after dinner so that I had a break & relaxed a bit. To be fair, everyone else in my class was taking 5 courses and I was taking 6.). And if someone was ever behind in their work? Heaven forbid! You wouldn't be setting foot away from the kitchen table and your homework except for meals & bedtime until you were caught up.
There definitely would NOT have been a trip to the store to be spending any gc.
So you are not an unreasonable parent, but a sensible one IMO.
And Laurie, better he learn his lesson with money now when he is young and it doesn't really "matter" KWIM? He's not going to starve, lose his house etc if he spends it all right away. But he will learn that if he does that, he won't have money for what he needs/wants in future. Especially if you DON'T buy him an ipod for birthday/Christmas and make him save & earn it.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:34 PM   #50
CBC Lady Violet

Ok, so alcohol/distress ink peeps. I do not own any. Why do I need them? What do you do with them that can't be done with regular inks?
If I was doing something like this: Card Ideas / Christmas card (the inking on the edges of the dsp
1)What colour(s) would you recommend for something like that?
2)Is it done by sponging or some other method?
Old 09-23-2012, 06:46 PM   #51
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

I use stipple brushes (they look like old fashioned mens shaving brushes will look for a photo or two) for my distress inks. I have every color but my go-to colors are old paper ( kinda green tinted) and antique linen and tea dye. so I think you tell me what kind of a mood you want to create and I will tell you the color I think would work best.

alcohol ink is a different ball game, its for slick surfaces like glass or glossy cardstock.

distress ink is dye ink that dries slowly so you can manipulate it with a brush or a sponge.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:49 PM   #52
CBC Lady Violet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBgreendawn View Post
I use stipple brushes (they look like old fashioned mens shaving brushes will look for a photo or two) for my distress inks. I have every color but my go-to colors are old paper ( kinda green tinted) and antique linen and tea dye. so I think you tell me what kind of a mood you want to create and I will tell you the color I think would work best.

alcohol ink is a different ball game, its for slick surfaces like glass or glossy cardstock.

distress ink is dye ink that dries slowly so you can manipulate it with a brush or a sponge.
Ok. I thought the distress inks were alcohol inks, so that is good to know.
I think I am just thinking to buy one or two colours at this point. Mostly to try & play with. But I do like that card (and many others I have seen) where they seem to have inked the edges a bit to sort of darken & soften & give a bit more depth/definition.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:51 PM   #53
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

the card you linked to... I dont see any inking...???

Stacy's Memory Triggers: Quality Control?

this shows the brushes

eta I was looking at the white panel... you mean on the packages of paper?
guessing it looks like soot ( black ) or possibly walnut ink ( the darkest brown ) colors of distress.

Last edited by JBgreendawn; 09-23-2012 at 06:56 PM..
Old 09-23-2012, 06:54 PM   #54
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

when they first started making distress ink's there was only 12 colors... so I added the brushes little at a time they way they did the inks, then last year my mama sent me many packages of them ( new style ) and so I have a bunch in the closet that are not used yet, I just write the color names on the bottoms of the brushes.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:54 PM   #55
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

one more thought, alcohol inks dry almost instantly.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:57 PM   #56
CBC Lady Violet

I love Mythbusters.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:59 PM   #57
CBC Lady Violet

Stacy, would shaving or makeup brushes work?
Old 09-23-2012, 07:03 PM   #58
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Probably, or sponges too... its just if you only have enough that you have to wash it out each time your washing the ink down the drain...

if you use a brush it looks like this ( will find a photo ) http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-p0a0u8r8Ol...Bgreendawn.jpg

the image of the pumpkin panel has some that was color dusted with distress inks (barely barely antique linen) along the edges. the inside liner piece I drug a cats eye sized color box chalk ink ( creamy brown ) along its edges ( that is my go to for pale brown)

if you use a sponge it looks like sponging. with a brush you get steaks so you can layer two colors easy enough

Last edited by JBgreendawn; 09-23-2012 at 07:07 PM..
Old 09-23-2012, 07:08 PM   #59
Stazon Splitcoast

I was looking at her blog...she has a few pretty purple cards. Found the present one and she said she used "chocolate" ink, didn't specify the brand. For edges like that, I use the ink spots and just rub the edge of the paper/cs on the pad.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:10 PM   #60
CBC Lady Violet

Quote:
Probably, or sponges too... its just if you only have enough that you have to wash it out each time your washing the ink down the drain...

if you use a brush it looks like this ( will find a photo ) http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-p0a0u8r8Ol...Bgreendawn.jpg

the image of the pumpkin panel has some that was color dusted with distress inks (barely barely antique linen) along the edges. the inside liner piece I drug a cats eye sized color box chalk ink ( creamy brown ) along its edges ( that is my go to for pale brown)

if you use a sponge it looks like sponging. with a brush you get steaks so you can layer two colors easy enough
Well, I think I would start with only 1 or 2 colours, so I think I could spring for a brush each.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:11 PM   #61
Stazon Splitcoast

Just went down to change out the laundry. Now the shop light in the laundry room is not working (it's flickering dimly). I tried my new bulb in it to see if it worked or not and must have not put it back tight enough...unless it's one of the old bulbs from the other room. Thought I kept them separated.

It's just one of those days. *sigh*
Old 09-23-2012, 07:13 PM   #62
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

I think the brushes come in trio packs? maybe 4... unless you have a real stamp store that maybe sell's them out of the package. ( have not been in a real stamp store since they all closed in so or)

((((Laurie )))))
Old 09-23-2012, 07:14 PM   #63
Stazon Splitcoast

Stacy, is that a background stamp or a different one that you stamped multiple times?
Old 09-23-2012, 07:18 PM   #64
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

remember this? I had this one too...

Vintage Tomy Great Greetings Holi
Old 09-23-2012, 07:19 PM   #65
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

its a SU background I think its called sanded? ( and I had to do the edges a second time because the stamp is smaller then the card base)
Old 09-23-2012, 07:22 PM   #66
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

that is one of the cool things about the ranger distress inks or the cant think of his name another man makes ranger inks different line but both of them the pads are square shaped so it fits in the palm of your hand easy enough to ink edges of things that way. ( gets more ink on the paper ) and since its not dry instantly you can drag it inwards if you like... or if your clumsy you will smear it if you drop it... (ask me how I know that eh?)

other man's name is Nick Bantock... and he has one called van dyke brown. its one of the best ( go to ) brown colors I own... ( its just regular dye ink though so dries like normal)
Old 09-23-2012, 07:43 PM   #67
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
its a SU background I think its called sanded? ( and I had to do the edges a second time because the stamp is smaller then the card base)
Maybe that's why it looks different. I wonder if I have that one...I own lots of them (love bg stamps).
Old 09-23-2012, 07:48 PM   #68
CBC Lady Violet

Finished the dishcloth I was working on this evening (that brings my total up to 6 so far), so I am going to call it a night.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:53 PM   #69
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

g'night Kel

laurie the chicken is standing... so will disappear to go eat
Old 09-23-2012, 07:54 PM   #70
Stazon Splitcoast

Saw a bunch of those at the craft sale yesterday too, and the towels with the button to hang on a handle.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:54 PM   #71
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm gonna call it a night too. Waited for the news but the fb game is taking too long.

Night.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:17 PM   #72
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

g'night Laurie,

oh I know the news is finally on here... eta freeze warning for tonight
Old 09-24-2012, 01:31 AM   #73
Chat Box Chicks Good Girl

Send a message via AIM to tamijo

morning
Old 09-24-2012, 02:54 AM   #74
CBC Lady Violet

Quote:
Saw a bunch of those at the craft sale yesterday too, and the towels with the button to hang on a handle.
I've never done the towels with the button, but Mom likes crocheted dishcloths and I have lots of yarn leftover from last year's puppets, so figured I might as well use it up.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:55 AM   #75
CBC Lady Violet

I did not sleep well last night. Had lots of weird dreams with people/stuff from all different parts of my life all mixed up, with intruders, bad guys and plane crashes mixed in for good measure. I woke up I don't even know how many times.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:03 AM   #76
CBC Lady Violet

Off to the grindstone, then have a hair appointment after work. We'll see how this goes - I don't really know what I want done with my hair, and the girl that has cut my hair the last couple of times is no longer at the salon, so they've booked me with someone new-to-me. This could be interesting.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:24 AM   #77
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I've used the sponges that SU sales cut into quarters and I've used this Tim Holtz® Adirondack® Alcohol Ink Applicator | Ranger Ink and Innovative Craft Products for blending. Not long ago I bought these foam pads Inkssentials to try because that seems to be what a lot of people use for the distress ink blending. Haven't tried the foam pads yet though.

Jennifer McGuire uses the distress inks a lot. Here is part one of her distress ink series on youtube http://youtu.be/XjXNnOTAYFA and here is her youtube link http://www.youtube.com/user/jennifer...ure=CAQQwRs%3D . You can look through and find the ones that show her using the distress inks.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:43 AM   #78
Stazon Splitcoast

Morning
Old 09-24-2012, 06:41 AM   #79
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

g'morning,

not going to work today. no voice, and am coughing up crud every time I blink. hopefully this passes soon. got an ice run tomorrow.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:51 AM   #80
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

nail polish shaped cards...
kellybee.org » Blog Archive » Spa-Licious

another card with nail polish bottles
http://nath-s-cards.blogspot.com/2012/02/0042.html

Last edited by JBgreendawn; 09-24-2012 at 07:04 AM..