Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2011, 01:46 PM   #4881
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Mama View Post
Morning! Sorry I've been MIA. I'm getting ready for a garage sale tomorrow. If it doesn't sell, it goes bye-bye. ONLY exceptions are stamps (that I could sell in sets with others on ebay) and PC items I could sell. Otherwise, Adios! I'll consider bringing kids & hubby back in if they don't sell. ha, ha!

E-mail me if anything exciting is happening!

Wish this stuff wasn't so darn heavy to ship.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:47 PM   #4882
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Quote:
Originally Posted by missiowa81 View Post
Poop in a shoe! Hope you can find a soft rock and enjoy some "down time" this weekend. Hugs and TGIF!

DITTO!
Old 10-01-2011, 01:53 PM   #4883
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jor View Post
Good luck Kristi!! Glad things got better.

I'm waiting for the dishwasher to finish. I'm going to unload it and then go through the fridge. I have a terribly feeling I have lots of food going in the trash. I hate that. And I haven't planned dinner yet. Maybe I can salvage stuff for tonight.

I always end up throwing so much stuff away. It makes me so mad. at myself.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:11 PM   #4884
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

I did end up throwing away a lot, but there is still food in the fridge. I think we're doing turkey burgers for dinner. We haven't had them before, so I don't know. We have a few leftover items, too. I might have those just to be sure I won't need to toss later
Old 10-01-2011, 02:15 PM   #4885
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgiemama View Post
Good Saturday Morning sleepyheads!
Excuse me! I was heading out the door when you called.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:28 PM   #4886
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

How was your day, Miss I? I just had to close the window - it was getting too chilly!!!!! I have an apple spiced candle burning, too. Ah, fall!
Old 10-01-2011, 03:01 PM   #4887
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

Quote:
Excuse me! I was heading out the door when you called.
Sure you were! You were probably snoozing!
Old 10-01-2011, 03:45 PM   #4888
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
Sure you were! You were probably snoozing!
Not this Saturday. We went to Pumpkinfest.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:48 PM   #4889
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Hawkins View Post
It sure did.

Don't tell me you want to do something unless you are ready and set to go....LOL
As in, be careful what you wish for...?

You may not be able to wish it back! LOL

I hope she likes her new place.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:50 PM   #4890
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wench67 View Post
Aloha!

Things are thankfully much better here. Hubby's stress level at work had hit a boiling point, and then was exacerbated by an ill-behaved dog that Ben was dog-sitting. It all came to a head yesterday morning when Ben didn't take the dog outside to pee (like we had all told him to several times) and the dog peed on the couch. Hubby utterly flipped out and started screaming at everyone. Totally unlike him, and incredibly upsetting. But Hubby apologized to Ben for wiggin out, and they mended fences. And Hubby and I spent several hours talking a lot of things out, so all is much better. Enough so that I reinstated our plan for today. Which is....

We are at an open-casting call for The Amazing Race! We stumbled across information about it a couple of days ago, and it's only about 30 from home, so we figured why not! We got here at 5:45am, and there were probably 75 people here already, with most of them looking like they spent the night. Now, at almost 9:20, I'd say there's close to 400 here. And it doesn't start until 11am. I'm so glad we got here when we did!
Grrrrr! I can't blame DH for blowing a fuse.

NO KIDDING?!?! Would you really do it if you're chosen? I've never watched the show, but my mom has. We would totally root for you.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:53 PM   #4891
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
I just got this email about my neighbor/friend. Please continue to keep the family in your thoughts and prayers. I'm having a very hard time dealing with this. I'm not sure why - I've dealt with others in similar circumstances. "Downtown" refers to Philly.

10/1
Yesterday Karen had her appointment down town. We thought she was going to be starting a chemo treatment. But, it was explained that if the chemo stopped the growth of the tumors, or even shrunk them a little, it would not extend Karen's life at all - apparently the nature of melanoma. It could, in fact, shorten it just by the extreme side effects. So, the doctor recommended that Karen NOT do the chemo. Karen agreed. She will not be doing any more treatment. The goal at this point is to make Karen as comfortable and pain free as possible. - basically, concentrating more on "quality of life".

She did get 2 units of blood while downtown.
At home, a social worker and a visiting nurse each come in once a week to check on Karen. Also, a man comes once a week to check on the oxygen administration. Karen is holding her own at this point. As the need increases, the visits will increase.
It's hard to come to terms with the fact that sometimes there's just nothing more that one can do. I'm sending warm thoughts. I hope she received my card. And ***HUGS*** for you, too, Jo Jo.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:05 PM   #4892
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
How was your day, Miss I? I just had to close the window - it was getting too chilly!!!!! I have an apple spiced candle burning, too. Ah, fall!
It was just about perfect, thanks for asking, Jo!

As I mentioned above, we went to Pumpkinfest. This is the fall festival in my dad's hometown, about 40 minutes from here. It's also one of the official "pumpkin weigh-off events" in the country. I didn't hear the weight of this year's winning pumpkin, but it's usually in the 1,200 to 1,600 pound range. The things are HUGE.

My cousin Dick and his wife are part of a group that carves fancy pumpkins. We went there first. Dick was wearing an old-fashioned prison uniform (black and white stripe uniform). I asked him if he was a "prisoner of love" and Sherri just laughed.

Mrs. Wig and I cruised through a couple of shops on Main Street. I saw an adorable antique lamp table that I would have loved to buy, but I don't know where I would put it. Mrs. Wig would have to get rid of something somewhere. After we left the store, she mentioned that she'd like to get rid of the "modern" (read: cheap looking), end tables she has in the living room. So hmmmmm, maybe there's a chance I could buy this other table and actually get to use it in the living room. We'll see. I bought some vintage ephemera at the other shop.

I got a freshly grilled pork tenderloin (sorry, Marie ) for lunch. We went to the car and got our lawn chairs, and ended up sitting with 3 of my other cousins (2 brothers and 1 sister, they're in my age group) to watch the parade. We got a few pieces of candy thrown at us (we let the little kids in the front row grab most of them...LOL).

My brother was there with his wife and oldest grandson. The grandson is 3 and SUPER cute. They were a little further down the parade route so they could be in the shade and where they could be in the front row to snag candy.

It was sunny, about 63-65 degrees, and not a cloud in a the sky; a beautiful day to be outdoors at an event like this. They were also having Oktoberfest down in the Amanas. Too bad we couldn't be in two places at once.

Last edited by missiowa81; 10-01-2011 at 04:34 PM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 10-01-2011, 04:07 PM   #4893
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
It got down into the 30s last night. I had to get up and put my fuzzy bathrobe on in the middle of the night because I was cold. But it warmed up nicely today and we're supposed to be in the upper 70s by the end of the week.

LOVE the scent of spiced apple candles.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:11 PM   #4894
Vintage Vixen

Now I'm trying to decide whether I want to drive ALL the way to the other side of town to Michaels. I have a "20% off your entire purchase" coupon that expires today. I wish they had a store on our side of town.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:32 PM   #4895
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
And seriously, any help as to what stores to go to, things to look for for,.. a 50 something?.. is appreciated.
I seriously don't know where to go other than Penney's or Boston Store.
I've had luck finding tops at CJ Banks (or Christopher and Banks, depending on what size you are), that are nicer than casual but not super dressy. Maybe check there. They carry jackets/blazers that would be OK for a business casual dress code. I haven't had much luck with their pants, but that may just be me because of my height. I'm also not a big fan of their skirts. Many of them (IMHO) tend to read old-ladyish or spinster librarian.

I try to follow the rules from "What Not To Wear" regardless of where I shop. Pretty much every outfit is just 3 pieces: a bottom (skirt or pant), a top (or dress), and a "completer piece." The completer piece could be a jacket, blazer, shrug, coat, piece of statement jewelry, scarf, even a statement handbag. (Of course, you won't be carrying a handbag around the office so that doesn't really apply here. LOL)

One thing I find invaluable: a black pencil skirt, about knee length. I have a really nice one (it cost $90 or so) but I get so much use out of it. I just always keep my eye open for different tops to wear with it, and it's so versatile: I can dress it up for an evening out, wear it to the office with a conservative top or blouse/jacket, wear it to a funeral, pair it with a jean jacket and funky shirt for the Lion, whatever.

Do you have Von Maur up there? It's similar to Boston Store except it doesn't have kitchen and bath wares. We have one here and I've found dressier work clothes there. That's where I got my black pencil skirt (I think the brand is Jones New York.) Always check their clearance racks; you can get some nice things at a big discount. And in the shoe department, they have a "shoe room" of sale shoes for rock-bottom prices.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:37 PM   #4896
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
Now I'm trying to decide whether I want to drive ALL the way to the other side of town to Michaels. I have a "20% off your entire purchase" coupon that expires today. I wish they had a store on our side of town.
I think the decision is "NO." It's been a full day and my legs are feeling tired. Now that I've sat down for a little while, I don't feel like going back out and running around more.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:54 PM   #4897
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

Your day sounds like a perfect autumn day to me! Glad you had such a nice time! I wanted to do something like that today, but we had too many other things going on. Bill finally was able to get the pool closed up. He had tried twice before and got sidetracked. So now it is done! Big relief for him.

We had dinner and it is all cleaned up. I had some zucchini that I wanted to cook before it went bad. I cooked that but it wasn't ready for tonight's dinner. If I do chicken or something in the crockpot tomorrow, that can be our side dish. I also want to do stuffed peppers this week. I just need to find out what nights (if any) Bill is out of town this week. I don't plan big meals then.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:21 PM   #4898
Vintage Vixen

We grilled out hotdogs for dinner. LOL! I have been having a hankering for them, so on my way home last night I stopped at Wally World and got some hotdogs and buns.

When we got home today, I went up to the grocery store and got a pint of potato salad, a pint of macaroni salad, and some chips. So we had a picnic type dinner; quick and easy since I didn't have to "make" anything myself.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:26 PM   #4899
Vintage Vixen

I've been online trying to get a price idea for the antique table I saw today. One antique price guide book has a similar table estimated at $195. The one we saw today was priced at $110 which I didn't think was bad. The table is Duncan Phyfe and it looks like this one, but I think the one we saw today is larger and has a darker finish on it (mahogany maybe).

FYI--I already have a round, 3-tier Duncan Phyfe table with pie crust edges. I think it might have been what they call a butler's server or tea server something like that. Like if you were having a buffet dinner, you could set desserts on the three tiers for people to serve themselves. It's in my bedroom with photos on it. It looks like this, only mine is mahogany.

Last edited by missiowa81; 10-01-2011 at 05:33 PM..
Old 10-01-2011, 05:31 PM   #4900
Vintage Vixen

I'm going to put on my sweats and get cozy for the night. Toodle-loo for now!
Old 10-01-2011, 06:15 PM   #4901
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

Miss I. Thanks for the fashion advice! We don't have VonMauer (sp?) here. The three piece rule will help...I tend to want to be super simple and just wear a top and bottom, but when I take the time to add a third thing, I do feel more put together.

I look pretty bad in skirts. I have a long torso, but my legs are short. So they tend to make me look dumpy.

Happy you had a wonderful Fall day. Sounds very enjoyable. Love that you all had hot dogs for dinner! I am watching the Badger game and just relaxing. Feels good!
Old 10-01-2011, 08:10 PM   #4902
Vintage Vixen

We've been watching the Wisconsin game, too. Wisconsin is kind of our adopted state. Our good friends who live outside Madison had several kids (and now grandkids) who attended UW; and we're Green Bay Packer fans, too.

We're less than 100 posts from 5000 so we should make a final decision on a new thread. Granny suggested Pumpkins in Red Panties. Any other ideas?
Old 10-01-2011, 08:12 PM   #4903
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
Miss I. Thanks for the fashion advice! We don't have VonMauer (sp?) here. The three piece rule will help...I tend to want to be super simple and just wear a top and bottom, but when I take the time to add a third thing, I do feel more put together.

I look pretty bad in skirts. I have a long torso, but my legs are short. So they tend to make me look dumpy.

Happy you had a wonderful Fall day. Sounds very enjoyable. Love that you all had hot dogs for dinner! I am watching the Badger game and just relaxing. Feels good!
So you're a good candidate for a high-waisted skirt.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:04 PM   #4904
Duchess of Dork

Quote:
I was also thinking of the empire waist type dresses & tops that are popular. I never liked those when I was in the stage of having preschool kids b/c I looked pregnant. Now that I'm filled out EVERYWHERE & not just a poochy tummy (though it is that) AND I'm too old for anyone to think I'm preggers I like those tops. Not TOO high of a waist, though.

I have long legs & a short torso, so while I like those TOPS, I couldn't wear a dress like that very well b/c it would elongate my legs even more I think.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:04 PM   #4905
Duchess of Dork

Hola! Just popping in before I'm too pooped to pop! Hope you are all doing well.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:49 AM   #4906
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

Quote:
Oh ok, I never thought of that!
And empire waist dresses....

I will have to try a few things on!
Old 10-02-2011, 09:16 AM   #4907
Duchess of Dork

Quote:

The other option is to cut off the bottom of your skirts & sew them on to mine! LOL! My mom used to just "add a ruffle" to the bottom of my dresses when I was a little girl. It became a joke as I got older & things were too short for her to say, "I'll just add a ruffle." Jeans, slacks, etc. THANKFULLY she was kidding! Then they came out years later with fabric added to the bottom of jeans. Who knew we were fashion forward before it's time? LOL!
Old 10-02-2011, 12:41 PM   #4908
Vintage Vixen

Quote:

Do I need to come to Madison and take you shopping?
Old 10-02-2011, 12:50 PM   #4909
Vintage Vixen

Hola!

Another beautiful day here. I was wiped out from yesterday so I slept in.

Mrs. Wig and I went to Menards. For those of you not in the Midwest, it's a home improvement store like Lowe's or Home Depot. The place was CRAWLING with people. The main reason for going was to buy myself a small "table top" grill (it uses the little propane jars). Mom and Dad take their grill to Arizona with them, and I miss having one here. So now I have my own! I'll have to get it assembled and we'll use it one night this week to make sure it works. It has several different features about it that Mrs. Wig liked. She wants to take it to Arizona and leave me their old dirty one. I don't think so!

I also got a Cricut cartridge on clearance for $15. Caro had told me that Menards had them. So now I have 2 Cricut cartridges to play with.

On the way home Mrs. Wig treated me to Starbucks. We both got the chocolate chip Frappuccino (no coffee).

Last edited by missiowa81; 10-02-2011 at 09:59 PM..
Old 10-02-2011, 12:51 PM   #4910
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
Hola! Just popping in before I'm too pooped to pop! Hope you are all doing well.
Hi Loribelle!

How was the garage sale? Did you move a lot of merchandise?
Old 10-02-2011, 12:52 PM   #4911
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
The other option is to cut off the bottom of your skirts & sew them on to mine! LOL! My mom used to just "add a ruffle" to the bottom of my dresses when I was a little girl. It became a joke as I got older & things were too short for her to say, "I'll just add a ruffle." Jeans, slacks, etc. THANKFULLY she was kidding! Then they came out years later with fabric added to the bottom of jeans. Who knew we were fashion forward before it's time? LOL!
I had to buy boy's/men's jeans when I was in high school, in order to find an inseam long enough (I've been this tall since 8th grade). I never wore dresses and I wasn't girly enough for ruffles anyway. LOL!
Old 10-02-2011, 02:43 PM   #4912
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

Afternoon. I was feeling sad because of my friend/neighbor and in general having a pity party. Not liking a lot of things in my life right now and don't see some of them changing any time soon. Anywho - I took a nap. Still tired because the dogs woke me up barking. Bill took the girls tot he movies. I cnanot justify the expense of the movies anymore! How sad is that? Anyway, I'll see how the rest of the evening goes. . .
Old 10-02-2011, 03:15 PM   #4913
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

Quote:
Do I need to come to Madison and take you shopping?
Yes!
Old 10-02-2011, 09:58 PM   #4914
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
Afternoon. I was feeling sad because of my friend/neighbor and in general having a pity party. Not liking a lot of things in my life right now and don't see some of them changing any time soon. Anywho - I took a nap. Still tired because the dogs woke me up barking. Bill took the girls tot he movies. I cnanot justify the expense of the movies anymore! How sad is that? Anyway, I'll see how the rest of the evening goes. . .
{{{{ HUGS, Jo Jo }}}}

I tried to call you. Then I got a phone call right after that, so I'm sorry if you tried to call me back and the line was busy.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:53 AM   #4915
Vintage Vixen

Morning!

NEW THREAD!

Put on your red panties (if you're not wearing them already) and come on over!
Old 10-03-2011, 09:08 AM   #4916
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Quote:

I left several windows open this morning but Poppa got home before me and closed the.

SORRY Charlie! I opened them back.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:10 AM   #4917
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Quote:

XOXOXOXOXXO
Old 10-03-2011, 09:18 AM   #4918
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Quote:
As in, be careful what you wish for...?

You may not be able to wish it back! LOL

I hope she likes her new place.

EXACTLY!