Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree154Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2012, 12:09 PM   #1961
Duchess of Dork

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgiemama View Post
Happy Halloween to all! It is Brrrr cold here this am.

Your treats were darling Miss I. I am sorry re: your Mom's response.

I personally can not win with cards or gifts anymore. I actually will probably not be buying anything this holiday. No one seems to appreciate the effort I go through and honestly would prefer I give them money or nothing!

If I send a special card or a small package with goodies...I have to ask, did you get such and such? "oh I haven't checked my mail in a couple of weeks"....then I have to ask later, did you ever chk your mail? Did you get this or that,...."oh yes, thanks".....

My Dad, however, still appreciates anything, very much.
He sounds so wonderful. If God has a new man for you in life, I hope he is like your dad!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 10-31-2012, 12:09 PM   #1962
Duchess of Dork

Quote:
Originally Posted by jor View Post
OH MY GOODNESS!!! I would (almost) KILL to have your talent!!!! My family is in awe of your cards. ALL my family - I show my parents every card you send. So, just send them all here - we'll certainly let you know how much they are appreciated!
Ditto!
Old 10-31-2012, 12:09 PM   #1963
Duchess of Dork

Quote:
Originally Posted by missiowa81 View Post
Thanks, Jo Jo.

I miss Kathy for many reasons, not least of which it was fun to send her mail. She would call me as soon as she opened it and it was obvious that she had examined every square millimeter of that card. Cindy kind of does the same thing.
Aww, hugs.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:13 PM   #1964
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

My afternoon disappeared! I went to get Julie and school and then decided I should rake up the leaves and small twigs that had come down in the storm. If the kids are trick-or-treating tonight they shouldn't have to worry about that. Although, since we don't set the clocks back until this weekend, it IS still pretty light out.

I'm also thinking that since we are still dealing with storm aftermath, much chillier than normal temps, etc., we might not have as many kids. The girls are handing out the candy. Julie's friend Anne is here. Anne's mother dislikes Halloween and she is coming to "visit" here after work. I must say, I'm glad the girls will hand out the candy. It isn't my favorite holiday either.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:14 PM   #1965
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm watching the news and the pictures from the damage from this storm is awful. It covers such a large area. And there was a HUGE fire in NY city, too.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:17 PM   #1966
Duchess of Dork

Quote:
I examine every inch of your cards, too! I love them.

Are you up extra early? Or just online earlier than I'm used to?

Dogs have been taken to the groomer. I'll take Julie to school in a bit. I have to bake some cookies. I made them last night and they had to chill overnight. I'm taking them to SILs when we go to Albany this weekend.

Speaking of my SILs - this is Bill's sisters. I always liked Bill's older sister (probaly because she was considered the 'black sheep', always the underdog, but did have alcohol problems). However, his other sister I always had a problem with. She was clearly the favorite, lied, snuck around and yet never was shamed or made to fess up. I don't know if they honestly didn't know (I didn't think she was that good) or if they overlooked it. Bill's father was extremely difficult and I did not like the man at all. He was mean. I hate to admit it and often feel a bit guilty but it was a bit of a relief after he passed away. Isn't that sad? We are actually visiting his sisters at least onced a year. We make the time and actually go. It is not as stressful as when his parents (especially his dad) was alive. Now, having said all that, I do still LIVE with Marie. We are beginning to think that Bill's father actually had Asperger's or something along those lines. He and Marie are so much alike.

I am actually a little happy to hear about your exchange with Natalie. Makes me realize that I'm not alone. I think you are a much better mom than I am and to know that you lose it once in awhile gives me a sense of relief! I have had more times than I can remember where I said things I should NOT have and would have ripped someone else up and down if I'd heard them say it to their child We are human and just do the best we can!

I thought I saw sunshine when I woke up earlier this morning, but it is still cloudy. One of my cousins (who lives two towns from my parents) have power. Hopefully, my parents will have it back soon, too. Mom's cell phone was only working for emergency calls - her neighbor had the same problem. Her landline is connected through cable or fios (can't remember which one). Ours is the same way. Only available for outgoing calls, usually only emergency. It's frustrating, but it is what it is. I was glad one of my other cousins got through on her iPhone to facebook yesterday. And then mom called my from uncle's old-style landline later in the day.
My SIL is nice. We aren't super close, mainly because we are both busy and very different interests. Phil's an only child, so I never had to deal with sibs in law on that side. Well, now we have step siblings and they are great! We love Lester's kids!

Oh, honey, I lose it all the time. Not as much as I used to. I started taking meds for what I labeled "stressed out" but it turns out the antidepressants are prescribed for fibro, so I still take them. It's a two-fer: stress and fibro! I have to keep Nat on her ADHD and OCD meds or I might send her away.

Home from co op and ready for a nap.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:53 PM   #1967
Duchess of Dork

I dressed up as a homeschool mom today. No one asked, "what are you dressed as?" so clearly they got my costume. LOL!
Old 10-31-2012, 04:24 PM   #1968
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

I read everything(and care)but I am too pooped to pop....or answer....LOL

I have no idea where today went but we are leaving bright and EARLY in the morning and I have A LOT to do.

Be back in a bit.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:12 PM   #1969
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

Lori - the antidepressants I take do help, but there are times . . .

We didn't have nearly as many kids as usual. I had the girls come in at 7:30 (TOTing ends at and eat dinner. It wasn't worth staying out there. My neighbor and Julie's friend's mom came and stayed for dinner. I just threw together stuffing to go with a small turkey breast, some veggies and a few leftovers. I made way too much stuffing. Oops.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:19 PM   #1970
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

October through New Years is when I miss living in a subdivision or neighborhood.

We have had one trick or treater in 13 years.

Last year I went with Lisa and the kids to a BIG neighborhood but I had too much to do tonight.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:22 PM   #1971
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

ONCE AGAIN I have a HORRIBLE haircut.

It was just miscommunication but this one is going to take awhile to "fix".

I am seriously considering a pixie at this point. AT LEAST it would look like I WANTED it this short.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:24 PM   #1972
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Mama View Post
My SIL is nice. We aren't super close, mainly because we are both busy and very different interests. Phil's an only child, so I never had to deal with sibs in law on that side. Well, now we have step siblings and they are great! We love Lester's kids!

Oh, honey, I lose it all the time. Not as much as I used to. I started taking meds for what I labeled "stressed out" but it turns out the antidepressants are prescribed for fibro, so I still take them. It's a two-fer: stress and fibro! I have to keep Nat on her ADHD and OCD meds or I might send her away.

Home from co op and ready for a nap.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:26 PM   #1973
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Quote:
I'm watching the news and the pictures from the damage from this storm is awful. It covers such a large area. And there was a HUGE fire in NY city, too.

The fire was heart breaking.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:57 PM   #1974
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

NOT sure how to say this without sounding AWFUL!

Mother was not sick long enough to change our relationship.

I LOVED her and I KNOW she loved me.

She was just not a warm giving person. She wasn't exactly cold but close to it. She changed in later years but she was still a "me first" person.

She worked ONLY to buy clothes,shoes and make-up. She did not have to work to support the household. She was vain and chose that over being a SAHM.

Daddy on the other hand was always around when he was not working.

He took me everywhere he went. He was a VERY warm person and let all those around him now how he felt about them.

I had a happy childhood BUT was way too spoiled for my own good. Did not set a good foundation for adulthood.

Last edited by Granny Hawkins; 10-31-2012 at 08:00 PM..
Old 10-31-2012, 09:01 PM   #1975
Lil' RAD Taquito

Hola Chicas!!
Old 10-31-2012, 09:05 PM   #1976
Lil' RAD Taquito

Granny, {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

MissI, I'm sorry Mrs Wig was not more appreciative about the wonderful gifts you sent. OMW those boxes looked great. We still have the box you made for DH on our last Chistmas exchange (2 years ago)

Jo, I'm glad Marie was cool with the events.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:47 PM   #1977
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

I still have boxes you made for our family, too. Two of them are displayed in my craft room. I think the others in the attic with the Christmas stuff.

I was exhausted at 10. Had run the dishwasher, emptied it started i again, took a shower, remember I had laundry in the machine for the drying rack and then went to bed Now at almost 2 I can't sleep. And I have a LIST of things I WANT to do tomorrow.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:06 PM   #1978
Duchess of Dork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Hawkins View Post
NOT sure how to say this without sounding AWFUL!

Mother was not sick long enough to change our relationship.

I LOVED her and I KNOW she loved me.

She was just not a warm giving person. She wasn't exactly cold but close to it. She changed in later years but she was still a "me first" person.

She worked ONLY to buy clothes,shoes and make-up. She did not have to work to support the household. She was vain and chose that over being a SAHM.

Daddy on the other hand was always around when he was not working.

He took me everywhere he went. He was a VERY warm person and let all those around him now how he felt about them.

I had a happy childhood BUT was way too spoiled for my own good. Did not set a good foundation for adulthood.
Granny, I'm glad you shared this & you do NOT sound awful. MIL also worked full time b/c she felt like she needed that extra money, and she even once said, "I would have been SO BORED if I'd been a stay at home mom." What does that say about raising your kids? SO many moms WANT to stay home & can't. My FIL wasn't highly educated, he had a GED and worked maintenance type work, then got a electrician's helper license of some sort & did a lot of electrical type stuff. He could fix anything, but didn't have the book learning to make him seem smart, if that makes sense. She was always so worried about having enough money. She still is so stingy about buying food. We've been at her house when the milk was rotten & she expected guests to drink it! YET, she could have tied Imelda Marcos in the shoe collection category. And clothes. Not as much since she is retired & has to wear supportive shoes, but when she was working she had the nicest clothes & shoes. She'd get them on sale, but seriously, a pair of shoes for almost every outfit she owned. They never had an extravagant home. In fact the one she's in now was the first one that was ever a brand new home. They built that about 18 years ago. BUT, they had a house in San ANtonio and kept their lake house (a trailer home, not a fancy lake house!) for a LONG time. I once saw her checkbook on the counter wide open. I don't know why I looked, but I did. She had $16,000 in her checking account. That was just her "available" money. She also had been putting money into savings account over the years. It's nice in that I know we'll inherit it, and she's put money into an account that was SUPPOSED to be for us to put a down payment on a house. Then Phil lost his job & we hit bankruptcy & it all went south several years ago. It's saved our rears a few times! It's funny that she'd do that, but on the other hand, when we really needed a car, she offered to sell us hers for $5,000. As if we had $5,000 sitting around! My folks just gave us their old car & traded in our old one when they got a new car. They didn't HAVE to do that, but they did. A few years later, MIL & FIL gave us their old van. I guess she softened somehow. Again, that was a VERY generous gift and we did not expect anything from them. Just stating how she handles money vs. how my folks do. Both my dad & my MIL were raised in very poor homes. It's funny that they are so different in how they use money. I guess my Grandma, as a single mom with little to give, was always a generous person & my dad saw that. MIL's parents could squeeze blood out of a turnip, I think! LOL!

The whole compliment thing is just hard to grasp. My dad will compliment me occasionally, but it's usually either followed by a speech or after he's told me all that I do wrong. MIL is like Miss I's mom in that she might say to someone else that something I made is nice, but RARELY will say that to me.

Granny, has there been a sense of relief since she's gone? I wonder if I will feel that when the time comes.

Though, my dad has beat the odds so many times that I think he may outlive us all. And MIL's family has longevity IF they weren't smokers. Her mom lived into her 80's, her dad into his 90's, but 3 of her brothers are gone now & they were either in their 60's or 70's. The oldest brother, now in his 80's, didn't smoke & has never had heart problems like the ones who did (makes me think that it's not just smoking, but something genetic along with smoking). Anyway, she could outlive us, too. I have threatened to one day put the 2 of them (my dad & MIL) in the same nursing home room and just leave them there. MIL's new hubby (who is older than MIL and my folks, but healthier and probably mentally as sharp or sharper) has helped her soften a little. And keep her off our backs a bit!
Old 11-01-2012, 02:24 PM   #1979
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

Quiet day here! I was on the web all day comparing and contrasting my new health, dental, etc...benefits. It was/is mindboggling. I need a National Plan, due to DD. But don't want the huge deductibles some of those plans have!

I think I have made a decision for both health and dental. There is a fair next week where all the reps will be there so I can get all of my questions answered.

Chilly but nice here. Rain expected this weekend....hope all is well? It is almost too quiet!!
Old 11-01-2012, 03:06 PM   #1980
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Good evening from the BEACH!
Old 11-01-2012, 03:22 PM   #1981
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

I think the relief was that she did not survive to be a invalid. With all I do,I do not know how I would have managed.

She came into a good deal of money when daddy died(she was a young widow,50 years old)and when she sold the house she got enough to pay cash for a new one with some left over.

She sold that house and remodeled the cottage behind my brother and SIL. Spent a good deal of money but we expected her to live there forever.

When she decided to do assisted living she just walked away from it but I knew that would happen from the beginning.

She was always "giving" with her money and saved my single mother butt several times.

She was just never a "mommy".
Old 11-01-2012, 04:23 PM   #1982
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Bridge from house to beach.
Attached Thumbnails
bridge-house.jpg   bridge-house-ii.jpg  
Old 11-01-2012, 04:29 PM   #1983
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

LOTS of people getting stuck in the sand.
Attached Thumbnails
stuck-sand.jpg  
Old 11-01-2012, 04:32 PM   #1984
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

One of the things I like about the Atlantic.
Attached Thumbnails
jetty.jpg   jetty-ii.jpg   jetty-iii.jpg  
Old 11-01-2012, 04:34 PM   #1985
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Beach is COVERED in shells.
Attached Thumbnails
everywhere.jpg  
Old 11-01-2012, 04:37 PM   #1986
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Little old me....well not so little but me just the same.
Attached Thumbnails
me.jpg   me-ii.jpg  
Old 11-01-2012, 04:41 PM   #1987
Duchess of Dork

Quote:
Cutie patooty!
Old 11-01-2012, 05:01 PM   #1988
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Not the Gulf Coast by a loooong shot but I LOVE the Atlantic.
Attached Thumbnails
not-gulf.jpg   not-gulf-ii.jpg  
Old 11-01-2012, 05:38 PM   #1989
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

Granny - that weather looks gorgeous!

I just heard that looting has begun in parts of NY and NJ. A friend's daughter lives in a now uninhabitable apartment in NJ. They were going to go in this weekend, by boat, to get a few things. Now, because of the looting, they aren't allowing that either. I read that police are armed with guns at gas stations because of long lines, limited amounts of gas, etc. It hurts my heart. I knew this would happen but was really hoping against hope that it would happen. It makes me so sad and I'm feeling very down tonight.

Oh and heard about another possible storm mid-week.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:22 PM   #1990
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Quote:
Granny - that weather looks gorgeous!

I just heard that looting has begun in parts of NY and NJ. A friend's daughter lives in a now uninhabitable apartment in NJ. They were going to go in this weekend, by boat, to get a few things. Now, because of the looting, they aren't allowing that either. I read that police are armed with guns at gas stations because of long lines, limited amounts of gas, etc. It hurts my heart. I knew this would happen but was really hoping against hope that it would happen. It makes me so sad and I'm feeling very down tonight.

Oh and heard about another possible storm mid-week.

I detest looting.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:49 PM   #1991
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

Me, too, Granny. I think things are going to get very ugly. . .
Old 11-01-2012, 08:58 PM   #1992
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
Lori - the antidepressants I take do help, but there are times . . .

We didn't have nearly as many kids as usual. I had the girls come in at 7:30 (TOTing ends at and eat dinner. It wasn't worth staying out there. My neighbor and Julie's friend's mom came and stayed for dinner. I just threw together stuffing to go with a small turkey breast, some veggies and a few leftovers. I made way too much stuffing. Oops.
There is no such thing as too much stuffing.

I decided I didn't want to be bothered so I didn't turn on the porch light and therefore didn't give out any Halloween candy. I'm going to eat it all myself.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:59 PM   #1993
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
ONCE AGAIN I have a HORRIBLE haircut.

It was just miscommunication but this one is going to take awhile to "fix".

I am seriously considering a pixie at this point. AT LEAST it would look like I WANTED it this short.
So sorry Granny. Did you go to your usual stylist?
Old 11-01-2012, 09:01 PM   #1994
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
Beautiful pics, Granny. Wish I could be there to pick up some of those shells. I guess I didn't know that you had another trip planned so soon. Is it just you and Papa this time?

And I think the haircut looks cute, too. I think that kind of cut is very chic/sleek. You still no likey?
Old 11-02-2012, 08:48 AM   #1995
Vintage Vixen

Morning! TGIF!

Fighting a migraine that started when I was at the grocery store. BBL
Old 11-02-2012, 08:52 AM   #1996
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

Quote:
Morning! TGIF!

Fighting a migraine that started when I was at the grocery store. BBL
There is something with the lighting in some grocery stores that brings them on. I had one yesterday, ugh. Feel better!
Old 11-02-2012, 11:40 AM   #1997
Duchess of Dork

Boo on migraines! WE hate those!!! Hope it goes away fast Miss I.

Hedgie, I agree, the lighting in grocery stores & Walmart gives me headaches sometimes. And then in the summer WM will have some of the lights out to save electricity so the a/c's will be able to cool the store (at least that's why I THINK they do it).

My vent for the day: I tried to have Nat's preventative asthma inhaler refilled. Got a call from walgreen's that they were still trying to reach the doctor. I called Walgreen's & they said we needed an appointment to get a refill. I wish they would have said that on the message or I wish the doctor's office would have let us know. How was I supposed to know the doctor wouldn't refill it without a check up? So, I called the doctor's office today. I don't know where they got this secretary, but my conversation went like this:
L:I need to schedule a check up for my daughter, prefer.....
S: interrupted: Last name?
L: Garrison. I'd like it on the 15th or 16th
S: First name?
L: Natalie
S: Our first appointment is on the 20th.

I'm now thinking, "So, if she has an asthma attack between now & then we just go to the ER???"
S: How old will she be?
L: 13, but she turns 14 on the 27th so I'd like to do her check up that day.
S: Then we need to wait until the 27th.
L: But we need asthma medicine, too, and would like to do them together.
S: So you need a medicine refill visit.
L: Yes, but we also need a well check.
S: Then we can do her 13 year old well check. She hasn't had that.

Um, she's already had that, like a year ago & it should be in your records.

L: Why can't we do her 14 year old check up since it's just a week before her birthday?
S: We can't do a 14 year old check up until she's 14.
L: Then can we do it on the 29th or 30th?
S: She's not in on Thursdays or Fridays.

SERIOUSLY???? We have Girl Scouts that Monday, her birthday is Tuesday & I will NOT make a child see the doctor on her birthday unless she's sick, then co-op on Wed. I scheduled it for Wed. the 28th at 8:40. I'll have to be sure Bethany is ready for co-op when we leave the house to get downtown by the right time. Then we can get back for co-op. Hopefully. Nat doesn't have a class til 10:30 & that can be delayed if needed.

Hedgie, have you ever done pediatrics? Can they not legally do a check up for her being 14 until she IS 14?

I may just take her into see the allergist/PA. She's super nice, they are timely & it's closer. With the new insurance I can switch pedi's. I hate to, b/c this one is my friend, but it's very inconvenient (downtown) and now that she's only working 3 days a week, that makes it hard for us.

Anyway, there's my vent.

We need to go to the library & grocery store. Then home to wash more clothes. WE're going to MIL's tomorrow & spending the night. My folks will come & we'll celebrate Mom's birthday.

TTFN!

ETA: Some ladies on fb said it's likely insurance that dictates this. I got her an allergist appt. for Tuesday to take care of the asthma. I'm on hold to change her check up to later in December so we don't have to be gone on a co-op day.

Last edited by Chef Mama; 11-02-2012 at 12:07 PM..
Old 11-02-2012, 02:47 PM   #1998
Forum Fanatic

Aloha!!

Granny, love the beach pics! Hope you're having a fantastic time!

Lori, with our pediatrician, the yearly check-ups can't be any closer than 365 days apart. Depending on when her 13 year old check-up was, that could be why they can't schedule it until her birthday or later. But the scheduler should have been able to tell you that instead of being such a snot!

Jo, do your parents have their power back yet? Everything I'm seeing and hearing out of that area is so sad.

The one constant through all the years...has been baseball.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:49 PM   #1999
Forum Fanatic

We had no trick-or-treaters this year. I wasn't sure if we would, so I bought a couple of small bags of candy just in case. We had one group with three or four little kids walk past the house, but the dogs started barking and I think scared them away!

The one constant through all the years...has been baseball.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:21 PM   #2000
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Quote:
So sorry Granny. Did you go to your usual stylist?
Yes. Just miscommunication. Hair grows like weeds so all will be okay.