Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree1918Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2013, 03:29 PM   #3601
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Quote:
Originally Posted by missiowa81 View Post
Update this morning: his mother, who works at the airport, may have helped him. They didn't say where she worked (TSA, an airline, for the actual airport, etc).

They found footage of him on the security camera the day before, apparently doing a "trial run." He took the lightrail to the airport. And at 9 years old, he's already a known entity to the police: he stole a car just last week.

Apparently he's still in custody while the whole incident is under investigation. I think they think it's suspicious that the parents did not report him as a missing child. (More evidence that they helped him? Wanted to get rid of him?? Bizarre.)

Sold him?
Old 10-08-2013, 03:31 PM   #3602
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Quote:
NO TV??

NO COMPUTER??

NO iTOUCH???

May as well put him in solitary confinement!

He went into the withdrawals on the Cruise. It was bad.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:43 PM   #3603
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

Marie would be like Kason. Only worse. Believe me.

That kid stole a car? This isn't going to end well. And he must have some 'great' parents.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:01 PM   #3604
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jor View Post

That kid stole a car? This isn't going to end well. And he must have some 'great' parents.
Ryder....It was BAD! He did not know what to do with himself. He just looked lost and miserable even when he was having fun....LOL And,,,,He did have fun.

We have been cutting his time back some and with nice weather making him go outside for a bit.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:49 PM   #3605
Vintage Vixen

Quote:

Yeah. Can't wait to hear the full story, but it's coming out in drips and drabs so far.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:50 PM   #3606
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Hawkins View Post
Ryder....It was BAD! He did not know what to do with himself. He just looked lost and miserable even when he was having fun....LOL And,,,,He did have fun.

We have been cutting his time back some and with nice weather making him go outside for a bit.
That's not good. Hopefully he'll find some other interests that don't involve electronics. Maybe you need to let him paint with you. (I'm just home from watercolor class, so I have painting on the brain. LOL)
Granny Hawkins likes this post.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:43 AM   #3607
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Quote:
That's not good. Hopefully he'll find some other interests that don't involve electronics. Maybe you need to let him paint with you. (I'm just home from watercolor class, so I have painting on the brain. LOL)
How is it going? I started back Monday for another 10 weeks.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:28 AM   #3608
Forum Fanatic

Aloha!

I found an app last night that makes accessing SCS from my phone pretty easy, so I'm hoping I can get here much more often! If you have a smartphone, it's called Forum Runner.

The one constant through all the years...has been baseball.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 10-09-2013, 08:37 AM   #3609
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

Afternoon!

I was just very bad. I bought peanut butter filled pretzel nuggets yesterday. I just had a LOT of them. NOT GOOD.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:38 AM   #3610
Forum Fanatic

A's game on Saturday was so exciting and fun! The game itself was a bit on the boring side (0-0 until the A's won it in the bottom of the 9th). But the crowd was wild, and stayed into the game all the way through. They kept showing a decibel meter on the big screen, and it hit 109 a few times. My ears didn't clear out until Sunday night!

And it was fun chatting with Miss I through the last few innings! It probably prevented me from committing an act that would have gotten me thrown in jail. They gave out little yellow "rally towels" at the gate, and the crowd spent most of the game waving them. Fine and dandy, except that the woman to my right was a few inches shorter than me. So every time she raised her left arm up to wave her towel, she whacked me in the face with it. I asked her to please use her other arm to wave it, which she did for a couple of innings, but whenever things got exciting she started with her left again. I muttered under my breath to Will that if the corner of her towel got me in the eye, the towel was going to wind up someplace where she would no longer be able to wave it!

Old 10-09-2013, 08:45 AM   #3611
Forum Fanatic

Kids & electronics - all three kids, but especially Becky, are very rarely seen without their phone/iPod in hand. Kaiti and Ben can function without just fine, but Becky takes after her dad, and is offended if you ask her to put it away for awhile. It's maddening.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:45 AM   #3612
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Afternoon! I was just very bad. I bought peanut butter filled pretzel nuggets yesterday. I just had a LOT of them. NOT GOOD.
Yet so good! Those sound amazing right now, but the ones coated in chocolate sound even better!

Old 10-09-2013, 09:50 AM   #3613
Vintage Vixen

Did someone mention chocolate?
Old 10-09-2013, 10:08 AM   #3614
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
How is it going? I started back Monday for another 10 weeks.
It started out kind of slow, but has gotten better the last couple of weeks. Our class is only 8 weeks though, and we only have 3 left.

Last night we worked on using plastic wrap to create water/waves, and reflections. What I finished turned out pretty good, but I'm not done with my painting yet. It's basically a water scene with the chunks of wood sticking out of the water to tie a boat to. I got that part done, but need to add a sky above and some land/shoreline below.

In between that painting (while parts of it dried), I worked on another tulip in my little Strathmore journal. This is the type of thing I want to paint to put on cards, on art journal pages, etc. Kind of like the pumpkins I did last week. I don't think the teacher is too impressed with stuff like this, but I don't care. I don't understand these "artists" who can't appreciate art that is different from their own. And I don't think he has a clue when I told him that I made my own greeting cards.

Now that the folks are gone, I might set up the old card table in the spare bedroom and leave my watercolor stuff set up there. I think I'll paint more if I don't have to set up and break down everything every single time. And it would leave my regular craft table clear for other stuff.

Last edited by missiowa81; 10-09-2013 at 10:15 AM..
Old 10-09-2013, 10:12 AM   #3615
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wench67 View Post
A's game on Saturday was so exciting and fun! The game itself was a bit on the boring side (0-0 until the A's won it in the bottom of the 9th). But the crowd was wild, and stayed into the game all the way through. They kept showing a decibel meter on the big screen, and it hit 109 a few times. My ears didn't clear out until Sunday night!

And it was fun chatting with Miss I through the last few innings! It probably prevented me from committing an act that would have gotten me thrown in jail. They gave out little yellow "rally towels" at the gate, and the crowd spent most of the game waving them. Fine and dandy, except that the woman to my right was a few inches shorter than me. So every time she raised her left arm up to wave her towel, she whacked me in the face with it. I asked her to please use her other arm to wave it, which she did for a couple of innings, but whenever things got exciting she started with her left again. I muttered under my breath to Will that if the corner of her towel got me in the eye, the towel was going to wind up someplace where she would no longer be able to wave it!
It was fun for me, too! Almost like being at the game with ya. Except I didn't have an obnoxious fan whacking me with a spirit towel. I probably would have gotten into trouble if I had someone like that next to me, too. Kind of like being right in front of that rabid fan that screams through an entire concert. HELLO! We came here to LISTEN to that person sing, quit your G-D screaming so we can all hear!!!!
Old 10-09-2013, 10:48 AM   #3616
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

My neighbor went to a gathering last month - wine and art. They paint but have wine and snacks (brought by the guests). She said it was really fun. I just can't imagine painting. I am okay with the cards and cross stitch, but I don't know that I would ever be able to paint. I think Bill would be really good at it. He is very artistic, but also a perfectionist so he struggles to always get it just right.

I'm eating like a pig today. This is not good.

Julie is attached to her phone but Marie doesn't use hers at all anymore. She is more into the gaming systems and the like.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:02 AM   #3617
Vintage Vixen

The events center where Marylee had her engagement party has "Yoga and Wine" and "Cork and Canvas" events. The painting nights appear to be acrylics. They provide the instruction, supplies, and snacks. Wine is available for purchase (and there's a one hour "happy hour" before the class starts!).

One of the classes includes this: No previous painting or wine-drinking experience needed.

I think they're kind of pricey: $35 for one night, and that does not include the wine. My entire watercolor class was only $51 for 8 sessions. But it's through the city parks and recreation department; I don't think they're necessarily trying to make a bunch of money.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:46 AM   #3618
Forum Fanatic

OMG, I misread the title of the second event you listed, Miss I, and nearly spit my lunch all over my monitor!!

They do sound like fun, but I'm with Jo - I don't think painting is for me.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:49 AM   #3619
Forum Fanatic

I hear you on the eating, Jo. I feel like I've been a pig the past few days. Blech.

Old 10-09-2013, 12:11 PM   #3620
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wench67 View Post
OMG, I misread the title of the second event you listed, Miss I, and nearly spit my lunch all over my monitor!!

They do sound like fun, but I'm with Jo - I don't think painting is for me.
Why, whatever could you mean?
Old 10-09-2013, 12:12 PM   #3621
Vintage Vixen

I often have one month a day when I feel like I'm eating constantly. I think it's hormonal. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it!)
Old 10-09-2013, 12:44 PM   #3622
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

IF I were still getting my period, I might think that about the eating. But I haven't had it in months (I've really lost track - I would LIKE it to be done). I have so much weight to lose already, I don't need to gain back any MORE!
Old 10-09-2013, 03:56 PM   #3623
Vintage Vixen

I started tracking mine (writing down dates) when it started getting wonky, because I knew I wouldn't remember. It must have been in 2010 the first time it skipped a month completely (didn't write it down, so don't know for sure). But I have my notes back to January 2011 and plan to keep them until all is said and done. This year it's done everything from skipped, to 63 days apart, to 20 days apart (just this month ).
Old 10-09-2013, 04:36 PM   #3624
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Quote:
The events center where Marylee had her engagement party has "Yoga and Wine" and "Cork and Canvas" events. The painting nights appear to be acrylics. They provide the instruction, supplies, and snacks. Wine is available for purchase (and there's a one hour "happy hour" before the class starts!).

One of the classes includes this: No previous painting or wine-drinking experience needed.

I think they're kind of pricey: $35 for one night, and that does not include the wine. My entire watercolor class was only $51 for 8 sessions. But it's through the city parks and recreation department; I don't think they're necessarily trying to make a bunch of money.
I think there is a Sip and Stroke thing around here and something else but I can't remember the name.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:08 PM   #3625
Sassy Shani

SPEW

Quote:
I think there is a Sip and Stroke thing around here and something else but I can't remember the name.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:50 PM   #3626
Vintage Vixen

I think you have to stroke before you can sip.
Shanon likes this post.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:55 PM   #3627
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

One of the books I bought at the used bookstore today has an inscription in the front in Lithuanian.

It really has me on a mission to translate it.

I tried Goolge but I cannot read the letters well enough to type them in.

Something about a beloved daughter,her first home and Christmas and signed With love,daddy.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:04 PM   #3628
Vintage Vixen

Some people on Ebay are crazy!

Someone is trying to sell a Miche Prima base bag for $54.99; when you can still buy one new for $39.95.

I'm looking at this Prima bag as a possibility for a purse/travel bag. Something to take on planes to hold a magazine, water bottle, etc., but still fit under the seat. So I'm following several of them on Ebay.

I also found a shell for it that I like, and it's named Karen.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:06 PM   #3629
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
One of the books I bought at the used bookstore today has an inscription in the front in Lithuanian.

Something about a beloved daughter,her first home and Christmas and signed With love,daddy.
Is there a Lithuanian museum or cultural association of some kind in Atlanta? If so, you might be able to find someone to translate it for you for free (since it's not a lot). You might just have to email them a scan of the page.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:10 PM   #3630
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

One of my FB friends tagged someone she knows that speaks the language so I am hoping he can tell me.

It is a nothing special book but has me on a mission.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:12 PM   #3631
Vintage Vixen

Quote:

I just remembered: years ago I had a Canadian colleague who was of Lithuanian descent. But I've lost contact with him. I don't even remember what school he worked for (in Canada).

I'd like to replace the 1800s German prayer book I had and used in art. I got it for $4 at a tag sale (it was falling apart). It got wet when the basement got flooded and just couldn't be salvaged.

Someone had an old German Lutheran prayer book on Ebay for $50. I wouldn't pay that for something to use in my art, but I thought I'd watch it just for the heck of it. He didn't get a single bid. Now he's relisted it for $55. WTH?
Old 10-09-2013, 06:14 PM   #3632
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
One of my FB friends tagged someone she knows that speaks the language so I am hoping he can tell me.

It is a nothing special book but has me on a mission.
Oh yeah, I love missions like this! I've done the same thing with paper ephemera I've bought: a penny postcard written in German; an advertisement for some kind of concert in French. It's fun.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:47 PM   #3633
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Quote:
Some people on Ebay are crazy!

Someone is trying to sell a Miche Prima base bag for $54.99; when you can still buy one new for $39.95.

I'm looking at this Prima bag as a possibility for a purse/travel bag. Something to take on planes to hold a magazine, water bottle, etc., but still fit under the seat. So I'm following several of them on Ebay.

I also found a shell for it that I like, and it's named Karen.

????
Old 10-09-2013, 08:46 PM   #3634
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
????
Miche = brand name of purse.

You buy a plain "base" bag (fabric inner bag with pockets, and then basic handles), and then you can get a variety of "shells" to wrap around it to create your purse. If you're the type who likes to change her purse to match an outfit or the seasons, but don't have room for a bunch of different purses, this is another way to do it.

They have 4 basic sizes of base bags, from evening bag size to the Prima which is almost like a briefcase/super huge purse. And then they are always coming out with new shells for the different bases in different designs and colors. And different types of handles. They used to sell them in stores, but now you can only get them through a consultant.

I was hunting for a new purse a couple of years ago and ended up buying a Miche bag from a consultant who had a booth at the flea market in mom and dad's RV park. I've since found a consultant here. But I figure if I can save a few bucks by finding one on Ebay, I'm going to check there first.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:54 AM   #3635
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

Morning. We're going to have a rainy couple of days. A storm is just sitting over us. I should make some soup. It is the perfect weather for it. Now, what to make . . . .
Old 10-10-2013, 10:35 AM   #3636
Vintage Vixen

Hola!

I vote for homemade chicken noodle...
Old 10-10-2013, 11:13 AM   #3637
Forum Fanatic

Mmmmmmmmmmm, soup sounds so good right now! I vote chicken tortilla, or maybe a creamy potato soup

Old 10-10-2013, 11:13 AM   #3638
Forum Fanatic

Ack! Work!! Busy!!

Old 10-10-2013, 12:19 PM   #3639
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

Homemade chicken soup sounds great. But I didn't make any soup. I did call the doctor. My allergies are not cooperating. Tried every over the counter med but I still have the scratchy/itchy throat/ears, fuzzy head/headache and now pressure in my chest like when I had bronchitis. So tomorrow I have an 8:45 doctor appointment. NOT my favorite time of the day, but I need to do something.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:33 PM   #3640
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Quote:
Morning. We're going to have a rainy couple of days. A storm is just sitting over us. I should make some soup. It is the perfect weather for it. Now, what to make . . . .
POTATO!