Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree1918Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 10:45 PM   #161
Duchess of Dork

Kristi, what a weekend! Hope you get things sorted quickly.

So, the movers forgot to hire a lorry for Kristi's mum. Pity, really. And Will's keys were left at home, but at least not locked in the boot. Oh, dear, how long WILL this carry on?

My back hurt a lot during the night so I stayed in bed trying to get comfortable, which probably made it worse. I finally got up & it was about 1:15. I piddled around here at the computer then went to check on the girls. It was 1:45. They were both ASLEEP STILL! Bethany's been known to sleep til noon, but not Natalie, and never that late! I may make Nat start taking melatonin again. She says it leaves her too tired the next day. Sigh.

I haven't heard the details about the ladies, just the general info. It sounds like there was a child there, too. Was it one of the lady's children? How horrid that situation must have been.

Need to try to sleep. Good night!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
missiowa81 likes this post.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:47 PM   #162
Duchess of Dork

When I saw Miss I's ta ta (bwahahahaha! That sounds funny!) it reminded me: this is Pampered Chef's Help Whip Cancer month. That reminds me to ask: Have you had your mammogram this year? I should be due next month. Will see the gyn for my check up in June, so will get my referral then. I really don't care about saving the boobs, as the bracelet says, but I DO care about saving my friends' lives. I think the saying should be: Save a woman: check your boobs.
jor likes this post.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:54 AM   #163
Vintage Vixen

Hiya!

Last edited by missiowa81; 05-08-2013 at 09:04 AM..
Chef Mama likes this post.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:05 AM   #164
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Mama View Post
When I saw Miss I's ta ta (bwahahahaha! That sounds funny!) it reminded me: this is Pampered Chef's Help Whip Cancer month. That reminds me to ask: Have you had your mammogram this year? I should be due next month. Will see the gyn for my check up in June, so will get my referral then. I really don't care about saving the boobs, as the bracelet says, but I DO care about saving my friends' lives. I think the saying should be: Save a woman: check your boobs.
As long as you didn't see my tatas !
Old 05-08-2013, 09:09 AM   #165
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wench67 View Post
And, to complete the trifecta, when the movers showed up at my moms on Saturday morning, they were in their personal vehicle. Their scheduler had neglected to reserve a truck, and it took them over an hour to find one. They eventually did track one down, and the move went smoothly from there.

And now my mother is here. We're having some major boundary issues that will be addressed this weekend. She just needs to be reminded that she has her space, and we have ours, and she needs to respect that.
My land! I'm glad you survived the move. Sounds like you had some tense moments there. Now let's hope you can survive living with your mother.
Granny Hawkins and jor like this post.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:15 AM   #166
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Mama View Post
Kristi, what a weekend! Hope you get things sorted quickly.

So, the movers forgot to hire a lorry for Kristi's mum . Pity, really. And Will's keys were left at home, but at least not locked in the boot . Oh, dear, how long WILL this carry on?

My back hurt a lot during the night so I stayed in bed trying to get comfortable, which probably made it worse. I finally got up & it was about 1:15. I piddled around here at the computer then went to check on the girls. It was 1:45. They were both ASLEEP STILL! Bethany's been known to sleep til noon, but not Natalie, and never that late! I may make Nat start taking melatonin again. She says it leaves her too tired the next day. Sigh.

I haven't heard the details about the ladies, just the general info. It sounds like there was a child there, too. Was it one of the lady's children? How horrid that situation must have been.

Need to try to sleep. Good night!
Keep it coming, you cheeky monkey!

I started taking my melatonin earlier; like 2-3 hours before I go to bed (I used to wait until I was getting ready for bed). I think it helps me stay asleep, and also it gets metabolized and out of my system by the morning.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:28 AM   #167
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Hawkins View Post
WORN SLAP OUT

Will come back and read/answer tomorrow.
Hope you have more pep today, Granny!
Old 05-08-2013, 09:34 AM   #168
Vintage Vixen

The girls in Ohio: all disappeared as teenagers at different times about a decade ago, but within the same area of Cleveland, and then kept together in the same house (in Cleveland! on the same side of town even, I think), unbeknownst to anyone. One of them now has a 6 year old daughter.

Three brothers, including the owner of the house (who they suspect is the father of the 6 year old), have been taken into custody but not charged yet (as of last night, anyway). The authorities are still interviewing the 3 women.

The 3 brothers are all pretty scuzzy looking. In their 50s. Maybe they "clean up nice," but the photos they're showing on the news are not too flattering.

Last edited by missiowa81; 05-08-2013 at 09:45 AM..
Old 05-08-2013, 09:56 AM   #169
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Quote:
Originally Posted by missiowa81 View Post
Hope you have more pep today, Granny!

TOO much pep.

In addition to my normal "do nothing" day I went to the gym....LOL

Was just pooped.

Gotta pick Kason up and take him to the Orthodontist. BBL
Old 05-08-2013, 11:45 AM   #170
Vintage Vixen

Looks like we have a Jenny Wren in our wren house already!

Last week I had asked Mom when she was going to hang up the wren houses (we have 2). Then, over the weekend when we were outside, we heard one singing. So we quickly hung the houses. Today, Mom said she saw and heard a wren in the yard, and then later saw that one of the houses was swinging back and forth. Old Jenny is probably in there building her nest.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:02 PM   #171
Vintage Vixen

Well bite my arm off! The light shades I ordered from Home Depot are in. I'm going to zip out to the store now and get them. And maybe also look at washers and dryers while I'm there. TTFN
Granny Hawkins likes this post.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:54 PM   #172
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

Afternoon. After all I did yesterday, today was not at all productive. I have a headache that I think is from the low pressure and rain. Haven't had one in quite awhile so I can't complain. And I really don't have much to do before we leave tomorrow. There were things I wanted to do, but they can wait. I have clean clothes, all the food prepared so I'm good. I have to package the stuff for the youth group bake sale but that won't take long.

Was also hoping the stuff I ordered from Yankee Candle would be here by today. I got a few things for my mom that I planned to give her for Mother's day. Maybe tomorrow.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:31 PM   #173
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Quote:
Looks like we have a Jenny Wren in our wren house already!

Last week I had asked Mom when she was going to hang up the wren houses (we have 2). Then, over the weekend when we were outside, we heard one singing. So we quickly hung the houses. Today, Mom said she saw and heard a wren in the yard, and then later saw that one of the houses was swinging back and forth. Old Jenny is probably in there building her nest.

My baby Wrens flew off on their own today.Never heard it called a Jenny Wren.

We have an old decorative bird house on the car port. Been there forever. This year a Wren decided to build a nest in it.

We have found nests behind lawn chairs that are hanging up and even one year in Poppa's coat pocket.

We have Blue Bird houses. What do Wren houses look like?

Last edited by Granny Hawkins; 05-08-2013 at 01:39 PM..
Old 05-08-2013, 01:36 PM   #174
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Quote:
The girls in Ohio: all disappeared as teenagers at different times about a decade ago, but within the same area of Cleveland, and then kept together in the same house (in Cleveland! on the same side of town even, I think), unbeknownst to anyone. One of them now has a 6 year old daughter.

Three brothers, including the owner of the house (who they suspect is the father of the 6 year old), have been taken into custody but not charged yet (as of last night, anyway). The authorities are still interviewing the 3 women.

The 3 brothers are all pretty scuzzy looking. In their 50s. Maybe they "clean up nice," but the photos they're showing on the news are not too flattering.

This is amazing.

It makes me sad that so many people are making fun of the guy who helped her.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:51 PM   #175
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wench67 View Post
Something similar happened around here a couple of years ago. A 9 year old girl was kidnapped in Lake Tahoe in 1991, and discovered living about 10 miles from here 18 years later. She had spent a great deal of that time living in a tent in the backyard. It was an almost unbelievable story. Just crazy.

Old 05-08-2013, 02:01 PM   #176
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

Quote:
This is amazing.

The guy who helped is being criticized?

Nothing ever changes..
Old 05-08-2013, 02:03 PM   #177
Stazon Splitcoast

Heart

Tired to the marrow of my bone
Old 05-08-2013, 02:03 PM   #178
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Quote:
I had friends in college (couple who ended up getting married). More often than not, the husband would cook, and the wife would clean up. She didn't mind at all; I think she actually preferred cleaning. This was even before they got married.

And, one time the husband confided that the wife makes a HUGE mess when she cooks, uses more pots and pans and utensils than are really required, so the husband would rather do the cooking than the clean-up. LOL

When the folks are here, Mom and I kinda take turns cooking. Our kitchen isn't that big, so it's not like we can have 2 people at the stove or oven at the same time. But the other person may act like a "sous chef" and chop up things, make the side dish, heat things in the microwave, etc., while the other one does the main dish. We almost always do the clean up together. I'll wash, Mom will dry, and it's all cleaned up in a jiffy.

My kitchen is TEENY!

Poppa will wash dishes and put away drainer dried dishes BUT is NOT allowed in the laundry room unless he is washing his clothes.

We do not hand dry dishes. I do dry pots and pans just so they do not water spot.

I can PILE some dishes in the drainer....LOL

My house can be spotless from one end to the other BUT I will have dishes soaking in the soapy sink and dishes in the drainer.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:05 PM   #179
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jor View Post
I WISH I had some of Martha Stewart's staff to clean up! I would also have more than one set of measuring cups, etc., etc.

When we vacationed with just my brother's family and the four of us, we had a good system. I would do most of the cooking and my SIL would do all the cleanup. I felt bad but she doesn't like to cook and doesn't so she said it worked out. Now that my cousin comes with us, she does most of the cooking (and shoos us out of the kitchen ) and we all help clean up. It gets dicey in the kitchen sometimes. The new house we're staying at this year has a smaller kitchen so we may have to make some changes.
When I go to Debi's she does 99.9% of the cooking and I clean.
missiowa81 likes this post.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:08 PM   #180
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
My baby Wrens flew off on their own today.Never heard it called a Jenny Wren.

We have an old decorative bird house on the car port. Been there forever. This year a Wren decided to build a nest in it.

We have found nests behind lawn chairs that are hanging up and even one year in Poppa's coat pocket.

We have Blue Bird houses. What do Wren houses look like?
I think Jenny Wren may be a play on words of Jenny Lind? (Because they sing so sweetly?)

Wren house = smallish garden-variety bird house, except the entry hole is much smaller to prevent bigger birds from using it. I think my grandpa made the two that we have, so they're pretty basic. We can remove the bottom in order to clean it out, and sometimes they will have more than one nest a season.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:10 PM   #181
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
This is amazing.

I heard they were calling him a hero, for listening to her and helping her. Maybe I'll hear more on the news tonight.

Some of the neighbors are now saying that they HAD called the cops several times about the house where the girls had been kept, but the police department says there is no record of such.

Last edited by missiowa81; 05-08-2013 at 06:11 PM..
Old 05-08-2013, 02:32 PM   #182
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Quote:
I think Jenny Wren may be a play on words of Jenny Lind? (Because they sing so sweetly?)

Wren house = smallish garden-variety bird house, except the entry hole is much smaller to prevent bigger birds from using it. I think my grandpa made the two that we have, so they're pretty basic. We can remove the bottom in order to clean it out, and sometimes they will have more than one nest a season.

At some point(after the babies are gone)can you get a picture of the hole?

Poppa said he would like to build a couple.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:34 PM   #183
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Quote:
I heard they were calling him a hero, for listening to her and helping her. Maybe I'll here more on the news tonight.

Some of the neighbors are now saying that they HAD called the cops several times about the house where the girls had been kept, but the police department says there is no record of such.
They are calling him a hero but the interview video has gone viral making fun of how he is talking and things he said.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:36 PM   #184
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgiemama View Post
Tired to the marrow of my bone

HUGS! I know that feeling.
hedgiemama likes this post.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:24 PM   #185
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

Granny - I'm sure you can identify with Hedgie! LOL

I hate when people make fun of others. The guy who helped IS a hero. He helped. I know the police were called to that house twice and nothing was done or found. Really makes you think. This world is very scary. Julie just told me she isn't sure she wants to have kids because of all the stuff going on. I can understand that.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:27 PM   #186
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Miss I....Poppa wants to know if you clean out the nests after the babies are gone will they build again?
Old 05-08-2013, 05:09 PM   #187
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
Miss I....Poppa wants to know if you clean out the nests after the babies are gone will they build again?
Maybe I misspoke earlier, because when I asked Mom about this she couldn't remember (or wasn't sure). But according to this website, yes. (Read all the way to the bottom.)

"Wrens will attempt raising two broods a season. Second broods are raised at a different nest site. Cleaning of any bird house should be done between broods. First, cleaning should be done in late fall and the second cleaning should be done after the first nesting.

If you don't have any nesting before about June, but you get them after that time, that usually means it's their second nesting and that they have nested somewhere else already. The breeding seasons runs from March to July. When Autumn arrives these tiny birds will begin heading southward and spend the winter in the southern states and into Mexico."

Last edited by missiowa81; 05-08-2013 at 11:16 PM..
Old 05-08-2013, 05:14 PM   #188
Vintage Vixen

Wren houses (click to enlarge).

wren-house-001.jpg

wren-house-002.jpg

They seem to like the bigger one the best (the one to the left in the first photo), but we hang both. The opening is only one inch across.

Mom says they don't like to be in the open (that website link I gave you said the same thing), so we hang them on the end of the clothesline where the lilac bushes are. And we face the opening toward the east, since most of our weather comes in from the west.

ETA: I just noticed that the smaller house: the hole is facing kinda southwest. lol

Last edited by missiowa81; 05-08-2013 at 05:19 PM..
Old 05-08-2013, 05:18 PM   #189
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
At some point(after the babies are gone)can you get a picture of the hole?

Poppa said he would like to build a couple.
See pictures in post above. I didn't measure the house, but the hole is only one inch across.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:22 PM   #190
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
Granny - I'm sure you can identify with Hedgie! LOL

I hate when people make fun of others. The guy who helped IS a hero. He helped. I know the police were called to that house twice and nothing was done or found. Really makes you think. This world is very scary. Julie just told me she isn't sure she wants to have kids because of all the stuff going on. I can understand that.
Oh same here! Parents now have so many other things to worry about, compared to when we were kids. Of course, I think some parents worry too much about some things and go overboard smothering their kids (aka helicopter parents), but that's a whole nuther discussion.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:34 PM   #191
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
My kitchen is TEENY!

Poppa will wash dishes and put away drainer dried dishes BUT is NOT allowed in the laundry room unless he is washing his clothes.

We do not hand dry dishes. I do dry pots and pans just so they do not water spot.

I can PILE some dishes in the drainer....LOL

My house can be spotless from one end to the other BUT I will have dishes soaking in the soapy sink and dishes in the drainer.
I remember one time you posted a picture of your dish drainer stacked half way to the ceiling.

When I'm here by myself, I usually let things air-dry: the things I wash by hand, like pots and pans, Tupperware/plastic ware, knives, and certain glass containers that I will probably need/want to use before I run the dishwasher again. We have a double sink, so we have the type of dish drainer that sits down in the sink. I can throw a kitchen towel over the top of them while they dry, which kind of hides them. (LOL) I use the dishwasher for everything else, but it takes me a week to 8-9 days to fill it up.

But when the folks are here and we have more dishes, and there are two of us to wash and dry, we usually go ahead and dry the things we wash by hand, and get everything put away. It just helps keep the kitchen looking neater, since it is kinda smallish.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:36 PM   #192
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
When I go to Debi's she does 99.9% of the cooking and I clean.
Love us some DYU!
Old 05-08-2013, 05:40 PM   #193
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
Afternoon. After all I did yesterday, today was not at all productive. I have a headache that I think is from the low pressure and rain. Haven't had one in quite awhile so I can't complain. And I really don't have much to do before we leave tomorrow. There were things I wanted to do, but they can wait. I have clean clothes, all the food prepared so I'm good. I have to package the stuff for the youth group bake sale but that won't take long.

Was also hoping the stuff I ordered from Yankee Candle would be here by today. I got a few things for my mom that I planned to give her for Mother's day. Maybe tomorrow.
Jo Jo, if I don't talk to you before you go, I wish you and Bill a safe trip and an enjoyable time with Mum and Pop O.

My mom says she doesn't want/need anything for Mother's Day. I offered to get her a nice pair of gold earrings, to replace her fav-o-rite pair (one broke), but she says that's not necessary. We may just meet my brother and SIL for lunch this weekend.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:45 PM   #194
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
See pictures in post above. I didn't measure the house, but the hole is only one inch across.
I found this website, with a link to some instructions to build your own, by googling "making your own wren house."
Old 05-08-2013, 05:50 PM   #195
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Quote:
Maybe I misspoke either, because when I asked Mom about this she couldn't remember (or wasn't sure). But according to this website, yes. (Read all the way to the bottom.)

"Wrens will attempt raising two broods a season. Second broods are raised at a different nest site. Cleaning of any bird house should be done between broods. First, cleaning should be done in late fall and the second cleaning should be done after the first nesting.

If you don't have any nesting before about June, but you get them after that time, that usually means it's their second nesting and that they have nested somewhere else already. The breeding seasons runs from March to July. When Autumn arrives these tiny birds will begin heading southward and spend the winter in the southern states and into Mexico."

We will clean it out and see. THANKS!
Old 05-08-2013, 05:55 PM   #196
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks, Miss I. I like to think I'll get online when I'm in NY, but chances are I won't. I'll be here through most of tomorrow tho. We aren't leaving here until dinner time or after. Depends on whether we eat with the girls or just get on the road.

I had cross stitched something for my mother that needed to be framed. I picked up the frames but now I can't find what I stitched! Isn't that always the way? I have another little pillow that I stitched so I'm going to give her that for now. There is still hope that my Yankee candle order will arrive. That has a cute tart warmer and I bought some yummy smelling melting tarts to give her too.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:01 PM   #197
Lil' RAD Taquito

Hullo Petals!
Old 05-08-2013, 06:06 PM   #198
Lil' RAD Taquito

I think appearances can be deceiving. The man that helped the 3 poor women might not look or sound "spiffy". BUT, he sure is a beautiful person. You can say he risked his life to help them.

Neighbors said they reported disturbances, but there are no police records. Really?
Or are they just trying to cover the fact that all these years they sat there listening to cries and screams and did not call the authorities?

The man that helped this poor women deserves a medal and respect. It shows that in the mist of the messed up society we live there is still hope. There are good people out there, ready to help others.
jor likes this post.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:07 PM   #199
Vintage Vixen

I picked up my light shades at Home Depot and they're going to be fine. Like I told Mom, there's no "design" to them (i.e., they are not decorative at all). They're just plain, smooth white acrylic domes with a gold or brass finial. They look like two big white boobs with brass nipples hanging from the ceiling. But they're doing the job of covering up the bulbs and part of the hardware, and that's really the best I can do.

I also looked at washers and dryers while I was there. They had the same Maytag models (or something pretty close) to the ones my mom looked at yesterday at an independent appliance store. However, I got some ambiguous and/or less than encouraging answers to my questions about installation (we have a gas dryer), so I told Mom I think we're better off going with the appliance store that obviously knows what they're doing. Even the guy at Sears seemed more knowledgeable than the guy at Home Depot, although the guy at the independent appliance store is definitely ahead in the race.

From Home Depot I went to Dress Barn and ended up getting a pair of dress capris, a charcoal color. Talked to Ann (one of the Red Lion gals who works there), who told me that apparently Marylee is engaged?!?!?! I told her I hadn't heard that. Now I have to act surprised when she tells me. LOL

Last edited by missiowa81; 05-08-2013 at 06:13 PM..
Old 05-08-2013, 06:09 PM   #200
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
Thanks, Miss I. I like to think I'll get online when I'm in NY, but chances are I won't. I'll be here through most of tomorrow tho. We aren't leaving here until dinner time or after. Depends on whether we eat with the girls or just get on the road.

I had cross stitched something for my mother that needed to be framed. I picked up the frames but now I can't find what I stitched! Isn't that always the way? I have another little pillow that I stitched so I'm going to give her that for now. There is still hope that my Yankee candle order will arrive. That has a cute tart warmer and I bought some yummy smelling melting tarts to give her too.
More often than not. I hope you find it.

How long are you staying?