Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree1918Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 01:06 PM   #1481
Vintage Vixen

Herbed basmati rice has been made, and it looks GREAT! One cup of rice cooked up to the perfect amount for the platter I plan to take. I did a taste test and thought it needed a little salt (sorry, no pink Himalayan salt in this house ), otherwise it was good and light tasting with the fresh herbs. And it's so pretty!

Got my chicken cleaned, cut up, and in a baggie.

Got my tandoori spice rub mixed and in a different baggie.

It's funny, but my dish will match the colors of the Indian flag: the rice is white, the herbs are green, and the chicken will end up orangey-red because of the spices! And I didn't even plan it that way.

I don't think the flag I made on the lollipop stick will stand up in the rice, so I'm going back to Plan A which is to use that photo holder clip. Thankfully I did not adhere my flag to the stick, so I don't have to remake that.
Granny Hawkins, jor and hedgiemama like this post.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:11 PM   #1482
Vintage Vixen

UGH! Big brother just called to ask whether I could print a document for him, related to the state trapshooting association. It's a spreadsheet in Excel, which he doesn't have. I have it, but I've not used it much.

Not all of the info will fit on a standard sheet of paper, even if I print on landscape. But I think maybe there's an option to only print certain columns? If I can omit a couple of the columns (like state for sure; they're all Iowans), maybe I can get it to fit on the page.

I'll have to deal with this when I get home from the party. (He needs it for tomorrow. ) Right now I need to finish my Indian flag and get into the shower.

Toodle-loo!
Old 07-03-2013, 01:35 PM   #1483
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Have FUN Miss I.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:37 PM   #1484
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by missiowa81 View Post
UGH! Big brother just called to ask whether I could print a document for him, related to the state trapshooting association. It's a spreadsheet in Excel, which he doesn't have. I have it, but I've not used it much.

Not all of the info will fit on a standard sheet of paper, even if I print on landscape. But I think maybe there's an option to only print certain columns? If I can omit a couple of the columns (like state for sure; they're all Iowans), maybe I can get it to fit on the page.

I'll have to deal with this when I get home from the party. (He needs it for tomorrow. ) Right now I need to finish my Indian flag and get into the shower.

Toodle-loo!
Enjoy your event! You do such a lovely presentation... If Better Homes and Garden were there, you would get a photo shoot! Hugs!
Granny Hawkins and jor like this post.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:47 PM   #1485
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

I have finally relaxed enough, from the chaos of the last 9 months that I have finger nails that have grown beyond past the end of my finger.

I love my job, looking for a new place to live closer to some action and movin' on.... I finally feel good in my own skin....I want a place to meet ppl. The outer suburbs are not for me now that I don't have a family.

I made many mistakes! I assumed things or thought a decision was a good one (at the time!)... but I know now, I want to be within walking distance of a coffee shop, perhaps a library, restaurants. Closer to my work. Being totally alone is a very different animal. I don't expect anyone to understand.

I do enjoy my independence and all, but there are times when living in the suburbs with families...just makes me ache. movin' on...
Chef Mama and jor like this post.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:12 PM   #1486
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgiemama View Post
I have finally relaxed enough, from the chaos of the last 9 months that I have finger nails that have grown beyond past the end of my finger.

I love my job, looking for a new place to live closer to some action and movin' on.... I finally feel good in my own skin....I want a place to meet ppl. The outer suburbs are not for me now that I don't have a family.

I made many mistakes! I assumed things or thought a decision was a good one (at the time!)... but I know now, I want to be within walking distance of a coffee shop, perhaps a library, restaurants. Closer to my work. Being totally alone is a very different animal. I don't expect anyone to understand.

I do enjoy my independence and all, but there are times when living in the suburbs with families...just makes me ache. movin' on...

I have always said if I were/was ? single and did not have family commitments I would LOVE to live in an area where they are transforming warehouses into lofts ad revamping neighborhoods.
Chef Mama, jor and hedgiemama like this post.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:01 PM   #1487
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
I doubt it, Granny!

The clock radio I have has 4 sound choices: ocean waves, forest, rainstorm, and something else. The forest one has an annoying bird that keeps chirping. LOL. I like the ocean waves one the best, but after a while any repetitive noise starts to annoy me if I can't fall asleep. My CD of choice at night (because this clock radio also has a CD player) is the soundtrack from Out of Africa. It has beautiful, soothing classical orchestrations (that is, it's not a bunch of fast Afro-pop or traditional Kenyan music).

If this clock radio ever dies, I hope I can find a replacement. I really really like all its features. And I hope I just didn't jinx myself by saying that!
Look for a new one NOW!
Old 07-03-2013, 04:04 PM   #1488
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
It would have to be small, to tow behind a Mustang! Was this before the girls came along?

Most of the bigger RVs have a camera on the back so you can see your tow vehicle. Some of the newer Class C rigs might also, if they're big enough to tow anything--car, boat, "toy hauler" (bikes, motorcycles, quads, etc).

Remember when camping used to be simply for getting back to nature? LOL
We only had that car and wanted to go camping but not in a tent. So, yes, it was small. But it was only the two of us. It 'could' sleep four. We had it when the girls were young but only went a few times.

Bill bought an after-market to install. It makes a huge difference for me. I can see if there is anyone behind me. I LOVE it and probably wouldn't drive without it.

My brother believes that is the way it should be. He would die to know we use our microwave, Keurig coffee maker, OVEN to make choco chip cookies, cable tv. . . you get the idea. We definitely are into GLAMPING these days!

Granny Hawkins likes this post.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:34 PM   #1489
Stazon Splitcoast

Heart

Not on any special vacation, but I had today off and tomorrow! Yee-haa!
The days have been 10 hours..zero lunch. I appreciate the break..

This is my kind of break from work/vacation! Ordered out for italian that should be here soon. May do the same tomorrow.... !!
Old 07-03-2013, 07:51 PM   #1490
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

I LOVE Italian food!
hedgiemama likes this post.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:00 PM   #1491
Duchess of Dork

Quote:
I love when stuff like that happens to people who wouldn't even think of swearing.

P.S. *Were* you talking out of your ---? Or do you REALLY use pink Himalayan salt? lol
I don't think that's where I was talking! LOL! Nat misread it as taking off your ***, which I'd like to do! Yes, we do use pink Himalayan salt.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 07-03-2013, 10:04 PM   #1492
Duchess of Dork

Quote:
Our AC appears to not be working. I had noticed one night last week, it was running constantly at 2:00 in the morning, 3:00 in the morning, 4:00 in the morning. You get the idea....one of those sleepless nights when I'm lying there listening to the sump pump, the dehumidifier, the air conditioning... Even with earplugs, it was like trying to sleep in an airport.

I went upstairs twice that night to look at the thermostat. I told Mom about it the next morning. (Of course, she thinks nothing of it.) Then we ended up shutting it off because it cooled off and it's been off this entire week. She turned it back on last night because it's supposed to heat up again. And again this morning, it was running but not cooling down.

So she made a service call. If they don't make it today, it will be Friday. I hope the weather guessers are right, and the heat and humidity hold off until the weekend.

While digging in her household file for the AC stuff, she found what she thinks is the original invoice for the water heater -- from 1983! We've talked about getting a new one since friends of theirs, who go to Arizona for the winter, had their water heater burst and leak water all over the place. We haven't made a final decision yet, but Dad said it was OK with him.

It's been an expensive year here.
DISLIKE no working ac. VERY much dislike. Hope it gets better fast.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:06 PM   #1493
Duchess of Dork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Hawkins View Post
The people who bring their whole fam damly get me. THEN they usually stop and talk to someone else who brought her whole fan damly.
YES!!!! Even with just the girls with me I'm concerned about blocking the way. Or, if I am in the way without knowing it, one of the girls will tell me. The whole families don't seem to care. I think they are all have lived in Africa or Mexico---that maņana or Hakuna Matata mentality.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:07 PM   #1494
Duchess of Dork

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgiemama View Post
Not on any special vacation, but I had today off and tomorrow! Yee-haa!
The days have been 10 hours..zero lunch. I appreciate the break..

This is my kind of break from work/vacation! Ordered out for italian that should be here soon. May do the same tomorrow.... !!
So glad for you to be getting a break! Enjoy!
Old 07-03-2013, 10:07 PM   #1495
Duchess of Dork

If I say anything funky just remember I am talking out of my Pink Himlayan Salt. Bwahahahahaha!

G'night loves!
jor, hedgiemama and missiowa81 like this post.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:00 AM   #1496
Vintage Vixen

Next thread name: Talking Out of Our Pink Himalayan Salts.

That should generate some curiosity.
Granny Hawkins, jor and hedgiemama like this post.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:02 AM   #1497
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jor View Post
Look for a new one NOW!
It's probably too late for that already. Aren't CDs basically dead, now that everyone has Ipods/Ipads/Smartphones that play music?
Old 07-04-2013, 12:19 AM   #1498
Vintage Vixen

<----- 2nd Place, Best Tasting.

First prize went to an appetizer that consisted of a small piece of chicken wrapped in bacon. Who can beat something made with bacon???

Practically everyone got a prize of some kind. I think 6 of the 9 or 10 people who brought chicken to cook got a prize in one category or another. My classmate Tom took first place in the creativity category. He stuck those little paper drink umbrellas into some of his chicken pieces. LOL

I had no food to bring home, which is the way I like it. All of my chicken and rice got eaten which makes me happy.

My prize: a bag of Dove dark chocolates, and a set of 4 "steak button thermometers." They are small thermometers to put into individual steaks (in the oven or on the grill). Instead of numeric temperatures, there is rare, medium, and well done. I've have to get some steaks and test them, since I like my steaks in the medium rare to medium range, and the folks like theirs well done.

They held the party in and around their new "outbuilding," which is basically a VERY fancy extra garage (about 3 car widths wide--the end we were in) and storage building (about 4 car widths going in the opposite direction--big enough for a pontoon boat and other "toys." The weather was perfect so we could be outside. But once it got late and we had to turn the lights on, the bugs showed up in droves. Blech! Was home by 10:30.

And now I can't sleep.
jor and hedgiemama like this post.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:24 AM   #1499
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
We only had that car and wanted to go camping but not in a tent. So, yes, it was small. But it was only the two of us. It 'could' sleep four. We had it when the girls were young but only went a few times.

Bill bought an after-market to install. It makes a huge difference for me. I can see if there is anyone behind me. I LOVE it and probably wouldn't drive without it.

My brother believes that is the way it should be. He would die to know we use our microwave, Keurig coffee maker, OVEN to make choco chip cookies, cable tv. . . you get the idea. We definitely are into GLAMPING these days!
Never heard of glamping. Glamor Camping? LOL

I have to admit, a Keurig machine isn't exactly roughing it.
jor likes this post.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:28 AM   #1500
Vintage Vixen

Gonna try again to fall asleep. Ta ta!
Old 07-04-2013, 04:41 AM   #1501
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

MissI....Sounds fun until the bugs came to dinner.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:30 AM   #1502
Vintage Vixen

It was, Granny. They waited as long as they could before turning on the lights (well past 9:00). The lights were SO BRIGHT it was like, "Last call everyone! Drink 'em up!" lol

It didn't take long for the bugs to find us--their house is out in the country. Will post a couple of pictures later.

Last edited by missiowa81; 07-04-2013 at 08:35 AM..
Old 07-04-2013, 07:33 AM   #1503
Vintage Vixen

Happy Independence Day, Chicas!

eagle-flag.jpeg
ApocalipsisR likes this post.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:44 AM   #1504
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

Happy Fourth of July!
Old 07-04-2013, 10:33 AM   #1505
Vintage Vixen

View of their house and pond from the "outbuilding" where the party was held. The part of the house you see in the picture is JUST the garage (4 extra long, extra wide stalls). So you can just imagine how big the rest of the house is.

independence-day-party-july-3-2013-004.jpg

Cindy's niece, my classmate Tom, his girlfriend Karen.

independence-day-party-july-3-2013-001.jpg

Guy in red shirt was in my big brother's class (nicest guy EVER!); don't know the other guy but we ended up cooking his chicken for him because he just threw it on the grill and walked away. LOL

independence-day-party-july-3-2013-003.jpg

Getting the chicken dishes set up. Mine here in front. The Indian flag sign kind of got lost once everything got squeezed onto the table.

independence-day-party-july-3-2013-006.jpg

Last edited by missiowa81; 07-04-2013 at 10:46 AM.. Reason: added more photos
Granny Hawkins and hedgiemama like this post.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:39 AM   #1506
Vintage Vixen

Mrs. Wig has decided they need a new mattress for the motorhome. She stopped at the Lebeda store the other day and laid down on a couple, but I think the folks should go together to test a few. (BCBW)

She's all gungho about it, so even though she hasn't even ordered the new mattress yet, she wanted my help today removing the old one. So we got it carried out and set it in the garage. Lebeda will take it away when they deliver the new one.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:40 AM   #1507
Lil' RAD Taquito

Quote:
Grumpy.
You called. I think I'm PMSing also, but it doesn't help that Dh and the oldest DS have been extra PITBs. Ggggrrrr
Old 07-04-2013, 11:44 AM   #1508
Lil' RAD Taquito

Happy 4th to you my precious ones!

You are lucky to be free from those Brits
Old 07-04-2013, 01:58 PM   #1509
Stazon Splitcoast

Red face

So Miss I, if I may be so bold to ask, what will they sleep upon tonight? If she made a purchase and it will be delivered tomorrow that is a good thing.

If not, it may be a couch week for both... agh!
Old 07-04-2013, 02:02 PM   #1510
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

oh... it is for the motor home. gotcha!
Old 07-04-2013, 02:15 PM   #1511
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Trying rotisserie chicken on our new grill(poppa sold a gun).

It is going to be A LOT of trial and error.

We have not owned a gas grill in a long time and this one is Infrared.

We weighed pro/cons and decided to go ahead and get one.

For the $$$$ hope we like it.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:50 PM   #1512
Vintage Vixen

Quote:

Hope so, too!

Do you ever buy the rotisserie chickens at the store? Sometimes I think about it, because it would save a lot of time in the kitchen. But I always wonder how fresh they are; how long they've been spinning around.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:53 PM   #1513
Vintage Vixen

I had to clean my grill before I could cook our burgers on it. Now I need a shower and clean clothes.

Don't hate me, but we had a pie for dessert tonight made out of fresh-picked wild black raspberries! OMG--it was soooooo good. The berries were super sweet and juicy.

Dad picked the berries after work yesterday; he saw the vines in the wooded area that borders their property. Mom baked the pie this morning. We added a scoop of vanilla ice cream but frankly, the pie didn't need it.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:06 PM   #1514
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Quote:
Hope so, too!

Do you ever buy the rotisserie chickens at the store? Sometimes I think about it, because it would save a lot of time in the kitchen. But I always wonder how fresh they are; how long they've been spinning around.

Here they usually have the time they came out of the oven.

I know Ingle's takes their first cooker out around 11:00AM

I do pick up one about once a week but if this works out,it is not any problem(so far).

Last edited by Granny Hawkins; 07-04-2013 at 03:49 PM..
Old 07-04-2013, 04:36 PM   #1515
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Quote:

Chicken turned out pretty good.

Next time I think I will cook it on a little higher heat.

VERY juicy but skin was not crisp. Guess because I had a drip pan under it.

I think indirect heat will give the meat a little different color. It was WELL beyond the done temp when I took it off but had a slight pinkness to it.

I am scared of pink chicken even though when we smoke it is pinkish.

I put it in the oven for a few minutes.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:00 PM   #1516
Vintage Vixen

Like you said Granny, trial and error. Pink chicken is scary!

Did the grill come with a cookbook?
Old 07-04-2013, 05:05 PM   #1517
Vintage Vixen

Three people in the house yet no one could answer the phone when it rang a little bit ago.

I was in my room arting, Mr. Wig is in the basement loading shells. Mrs. Wig is upstairs watching TV; we both expected her to get it. But she was in the bathroom. LOL. On the third ring I finally jumped up and ran to the phone, but by the time I got there it had rung 4 times, and when I picked it up no one was there.

Guess they really didn't want to talk to us after all.

Last edited by missiowa81; 07-04-2013 at 05:55 PM..
Old 07-04-2013, 05:12 PM   #1518
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Quote:
Like you said Granny, trial and error. Pink chicken is scary!

Did the grill come with a cookbook?

No but it came with a 50% off coupon for one. I ordered it today.

I know smoking leaves a pink tint. Maybe indirect heat over a drip pan caused it?

Juices were clear and temp was well past done stage.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:23 PM   #1519
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Never heard of glamping. Glamor Camping? LOL

I have to admit, a Keurig machine isn't exactly roughing it.
EXACTLY!

And Bill NEEDS his Keurig coffee in the morning . . . .
Old 07-04-2013, 05:56 PM   #1520
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
EXACTLY!

And Bill NEEDS his Keurig coffee in the morning . . . .
You mean they don't have Dunkin Donuts at the campgrounds out there???