Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree1918Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2013, 06:58 PM   #1441
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by missiowa81 View Post

I went with the dry tandoori spice rub. It had the fewest number of ingredients that I had to buy.
That's how I would have decided!

The one constant through all the years...has been baseball.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 07-02-2013, 06:58 PM   #1442
Forum Fanatic

Woo hoo - twice in one day I made it here. Must be some sort of record

Granny Hawkins, jor and missiowa81 like this post.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:02 PM   #1443
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wench67 View Post
I vote for traditional tandoori!
...ding ding ding...

And I might make some herbed basmati rice for the "presentation" part. I have the rice; just need to run to the store tomorrow for the fresh herbs.
hedgiemama likes this post.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:02 PM   #1444
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
Woo hoo - twice in one day I made it here. Must be some sort of record
And we feel very honored.
Chef Mama likes this post.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:08 PM   #1445
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
Sleep and I have not been on speaking terms for several months. I can usually fall asleep, but then I wake up anywhere between 1am and 3am, and am awake until 4-5am. It's really delightful on weekdays, when my alarm goes off at 6:30.

Ear plugs actually make it worse. I need some level of noise to sleep. I keep meaning to try melatonin, but I never seem to remember to buy any. Apparently I need to get some ginkgo biloba too
LOL

Tie a string around your finger.

I usually have the radio on really low at night, on BBC: no commercials, and because of the accent I don't get distracted by what they're talking about. It's just a little white noise.

The night the electricity went out, I put in my earbuds and listened to my Ipod. But some of the songs were a little too "rambunctious" even at the lowest volume. Still, I liked the earbud idea so now I use them, and plug them into my radio! It's a win-win.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:09 PM   #1446
Vintage Vixen

Even using the earbuds, I can still hear the sump pump though. Those nights it was running every minute or two, it really disrupted my sleep. Thankfully it has slowed down now.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:53 PM   #1447
Vintage Vixen

...hee hee...

I'm pretty sure I'm going to make the herbed basmati rice to go with my chicken. That way my chicken won't be naked on the platter.

So I've made a replica of the Indian flag out of cardstock, onto which I'll glue a mini image of the actual flag (cut from an old atlas), and the name of my dish (Tandoori Spice Chicken). I've figured out a way to glue the flag onto a lollipop stick to act as a flagpole, and I'll just stick that into my rice.

I hope it all turns out well. I'll have to cook the rice before I leave, and then maybe reheat it a little once the chicken is done (we cook the chicken at the party).
Old 07-03-2013, 05:44 AM   #1448
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

You will win both the culinery and artistic award this year!
Chef Mama and Granny Hawkins like this post.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:44 AM   #1449
Duchess of Dork

Thought y'all would enjoy seeing my dork moment on FB last night:

Quote:
I was trying out the microphone feature on my phone earlier to post on FB. I had said, "I use Pink Himalayan Salt." Natalie didn't know what I was doing, so walked in asking, "Why are you talking about Pink Himalayan salt? Well, the mic picked that up, but mistyped it into an inappropriate statement. It was something none of us would ever say, so the girls & I were laughing so hard, not at the words, but the fact that THOSE words got put on my comment. I kept saying, "DON'T HIT SEND." Phil wanted to see, but didn't have his glasses on. He grabbed the phone and, since he couldn't see, hit send. It posted to my page and we girls laughed even more while frantically trying to remove it. It's hard to delete a comment when laughing so hard. I just hope if anyone saw it they figured out it was a spell check/mic type issue!
What it typed was "I am talking out of my ***" Oh, my word, we laughed so hard & then were mortified that Phil hit send! And it was a reply to one of my Christian friends who won't even say DARN! I was laughing so much that Natalie figured out delete before I did.
Granny Hawkins and missiowa81 like this post.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:41 AM   #1450
Vintage Vixen

I love when stuff like that happens to people who wouldn't even think of swearing.

P.S. *Were* you talking out of your ---? Or do you REALLY use pink Himalayan salt? lol

Last edited by missiowa81; 07-03-2013 at 11:09 AM..
Old 07-03-2013, 10:48 AM   #1451
Vintage Vixen

Speaking of swearing...

OMG! I just went to the grocery store to get the fresh herbs for my rice, and the place was a FRICKING ZOO! It should have taken me just a couple of minutes to get in and out. It was more like 15 thanks to...

...the lady walking around the store with a 12 pack of Pepsi in her cart, leaving a trail of leaking soda behind her. Finally someone stopped her. Orange cones all over the place (down the main aisle and the produce aisle, where I wanted to go, naturally!) while they waited for the guy to come with the mop.

...the guy right in front of the Pepsi who was rearranging his cart as if his life depended on it. His stick deodorant wouldn't stand up so he could put his Pepsi 2 liters next to them.

...the lady with more than 12 items in her cart, in the "12 items or less" express lane. Who then had some kind of problem with her bank card.

I know I'm PMSing, but geez Louise! Some people should not be allowed in public. lol
Old 07-03-2013, 10:57 AM   #1452
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

Back to the RV discussion for a moment. Our Class C is probably the same size (29ft) as our neighbor's Class A. However, I would be afraid to drive the Class A. Our class C is just like driving a pick-up truck. I know it is a mindset thing.

I am dealing with a migraine. I'm sure it is the weather, but it is getting old. I had to cancel breakfast with my neighbor.

Miss I - I'm sorry, the leaking Pepsi really made me laugh!
Old 07-03-2013, 10:59 AM   #1453
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

I got sidetracked. The main reason I came here was to tell you all that Stella (a Misfit friend from way back, Miss I knows her) just placed an order for SU stuff. Well, she met my quota for the next three months. Yep, another HUGE order.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:59 AM   #1454
Vintage Vixen

Our AC appears to not be working. I had noticed one night last week, it was running constantly at 2:00 in the morning, 3:00 in the morning, 4:00 in the morning. You get the idea....one of those sleepless nights when I'm lying there listening to the sump pump, the dehumidifier, the air conditioning... Even with earplugs, it was like trying to sleep in an airport.

I went upstairs twice that night to look at the thermostat. I told Mom about it the next morning. (Of course, she thinks nothing of it.) Then we ended up shutting it off because it cooled off and it's been off this entire week. She turned it back on last night because it's supposed to heat up again. And again this morning, it was running but not cooling down.

So she made a service call. If they don't make it today, it will be Friday. I hope the weather guessers are right, and the heat and humidity hold off until the weekend.

While digging in her household file for the AC stuff, she found what she thinks is the original invoice for the water heater -- from 1983! We've talked about getting a new one since friends of theirs, who go to Arizona for the winter, had their water heater burst and leak water all over the place. We haven't made a final decision yet, but Dad said it was OK with him.

It's been an expensive year here.

Last edited by missiowa81; 07-03-2013 at 12:17 PM..
Old 07-03-2013, 11:01 AM   #1455
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jor View Post
I got sidetracked. The main reason I came here was to tell you all that Stella (a Misfit friend from way back, Miss I knows her) just placed an order for SU stuff. Well, she met my quota for the next three months. Yep, another HUGE order.
Good ol' Stella. Did she order a pack of very vanilla cardstock for me? I'm getting low.

She's at her mom's right now, so she probably bought stuff for herself, her mom and her sister.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:08 AM   #1456
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
Back to the RV discussion for a moment. Our Class C is probably the same size (29ft) as our neighbor's Class A. However, I would be afraid to drive the Class A. Our class C is just like driving a pick-up truck. I know it is a mindset thing.

I am dealing with a migraine. I'm sure it is the weather, but it is getting old. I had to cancel breakfast with my neighbor.

I know...

The place was like a GD obstacle course with all the orange cones.

And I know I walk fast and don't like to waste time in the store, but for Pete's sake! Some people are so slow I want to call the morgue to come pick up a corpse. (Only on those days I'm PMSing and don't have time to be wasting at the store. I just should have gone up last night because maybe it wouldn't have been as busy.)

Mom and Dad's RV is 38 feet something. But then they also have their tow vehicle; I don't know what the total length is. Mom's fear is when they get into a construction zone that has those cement barriers on either side of the lane. She thinks it's so narrow that the motorhome won't fit, and she'll scrape the heck out of the sides! But the motorhome is no wider than a truck.

Sorry about your migraine. Hope it goes away soon.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:15 AM   #1457
Vintage Vixen

I don't know if I'm in the mood to go to this party tonight. I know I'll have a good time once I get there, but if I had to say right now which one of the seven dwarves best describes me, it would be Grumpy.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:22 AM   #1458
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Even using the earbuds, I can still hear the sump pump though. Those nights it was running every minute or two, it really disrupted my sleep. Thankfully it has slowed down now.
See, I don't think the sump pump would bother me that much, unless the volume was fluctuating. That's why I have trouble sleeping with the TV on. All those dang commercials that come on are three times as loud as the main program. Plus, if the TV is on, it's usually something on the Military Channel that Will fell asleep in the middle of. Nothing like lots of shooting and explosions to drift off to a peaceful sleep

Old 07-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #1459
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Mama View Post
Thought y'all would enjoy seeing my dork moment on FB last night:

What it typed was "I am talking out of my ***" Oh, my word, we laughed so hard & then were mortified that Phil hit send! And it was a reply to one of my Christian friends who won't even say DARN! I was laughing so much that Natalie figured out delete before I did.
OMG, that's hysterical! I would still be laughing!

Old 07-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #1460
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm grumpy, too. Due to this blasted headache!

OK, I would NOT want to drive your parents' RV! I forgot about towing the car, too. YIKES. That would scare me. And I don't like the cement barriers either. I hate them in a car!
Old 07-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #1461
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

Kristi - you were here again! Glad you can stop by!
Old 07-03-2013, 11:26 AM   #1462
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Speaking of swearing...

OMG! I just went to the grocery store to get the fresh herbs for my rice, and the place was a FRICKING ZOO! It should have taken me just a couple of minutes to get in and out. It was more like 15 thanks to...

...the lady walking around the store with a 12 pack of Pepsi in her cart, leaving a trail of leaking soda behind her. Finally someone stopped her. Orange cones all over the place (down the main aisle and the produce aisle, where I wanted to go, naturally!) while they waited for the guy to come with the mop.

...the guy right in front of the Pepsi who was rearranging his cart as if his life depended on it. His stick deodorant wouldn't stand up so he could put his Pepsi 2 liters next to them.

...the lady with more than 12 items in her cart, in the "12 items or less" express lane. Who then had some kind of problem with her bank card.

I know I'm PMSing, but geez Louise! Some people should not be allowed in public. lol
I hate hate hate grocery stores right before a holiday. Well, I hate them most of the time, but especially right before a holiday. I need to pick up some things to cook tomorrow, but I think ill just go late tonight.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:27 AM   #1463
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Sorry about the migraine and canceled breakfast, Jo! I had one last night that just about did me in, and I think I gave it to Will because he woke up with one.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:28 AM   #1464
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
I don't know if I'm in the mood to go to this party tonight. I know I'll have a good time once I get there, but if I had to say right now which one of the seven dwarves best describes me, it would be Grumpy.
Nice to meet you, Grumpy. I have a split personality today. Sometimes Sleepy, sometimes Dopey.

Chef Mama and jor like this post.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:29 AM   #1465
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Kristi - you were here again! Glad you can stop by!
Me too!! I miss you guys!

Old 07-03-2013, 11:52 AM   #1466
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

I can be sleepy and dopey, too.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:13 PM   #1467
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Quote:
LOL

Tie a string around your finger.

I usually have the radio on really low at night, on BBC: no commercials, and because of the accent I don't get distracted by what they're talking about. It's just a little white noise.

The night the electricity went out, I put in my earbuds and listened to my Ipod. But some of the songs were a little too "rambunctious" even at the lowest volume. Still, I liked the earbud idea so now I use them, and plug them into my radio! It's a win-win.

I have a Thunderstorm CD that starts off as gentle rain with distant thunder and the rain will get harder and thunder closer as it goes on.

I also have an Indian Spirit CD that is very smoothing.

IF ALL ELSE FAILS find you a copy of Mount Saint Helens.....WILL 100% put you to sleep....LOL
jor likes this post.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:15 PM   #1468
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Quote:
Our attic fan used to turn off and on but we bought a timer so when it goes off it stays off....OF COURSE you cannot do that with the pump....LOL
Old 07-03-2013, 12:15 PM   #1469
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
See, I don't think the sump pump would bother me that much, unless the volume was fluctuating. That's why I have trouble sleeping with the TV on. All those dang commercials that come on are three times as loud as the main program. Plus, if the TV is on, it's usually something on the Military Channel that Will fell asleep in the middle of. Nothing like lots of shooting and explosions to drift off to a peaceful sleep
You mean that kind of noise disturbs your sleep?

LOL. I feel for you.

Actually, the sump pump itself isn't very loud, but it has such force behind it. When the water hits the bottom of the sink (because right now we have it piped into the utility sink rather than to outside--that's a whole nuther story ), it makes a HUGE crashing sound. Seems like I would just be drifting off, and then I would get jerked awake by that crash. And in the summer I sleep in the basement, so I'm in the next room about...oh...less than 25 feet from it.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:21 PM   #1470
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
I'm grumpy, too. Due to this blasted headache!

OK, I would NOT want to drive your parents' RV! I forgot about towing the car, too. YIKES. That would scare me. And I don't like the cement barriers either. I hate them in a car!
When I moved here from Mobile, I drove a 20 or 24 foot U-Haul truck towing my car. It wasn't bad until the 2nd day, when it was spitting/raining all day long. I couldn't tell whether my car was still back there or not. Pretty nervewracking!

I kinda liked going to the truck stops. I received a lot of admiring looks when the guys found out I was driving that rig by myself. lol
Old 07-03-2013, 12:21 PM   #1471
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
You mean that kind of noise disturbs your sleep?

LOL. I feel for you.

Actually, the sump pump itself isn't very loud, but it has such force behind it. When the water hits the bottom of the sink (because right now we have it piped into the utility sink rather than to outside--that's a whole nuther story ), it makes a HUGE crashing sound. Seems like I would just be drifting off, and then I would get jerked awake by that crash. And in the summer I sleep in the basement, so I'm in the next room about...oh...less than 25 feet from it.

I would NOT be able to sleep through that. My husband would. He sleep through anything and everything. It drives me crazy. And it takes him no longer than 30 seconds (NO EXAGGERATION - I timed him) to fall asleep.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:22 PM   #1472
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

We used to have a small pop up tent trailer and I would tow that behind our Mustang. It was a VERY small tent trailer. I didn't have a problem with that, but I could see everything. With the RV I wouldn't be able to see and that would bother me.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:28 PM   #1473
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Hawkins View Post
I have a Thunderstorm CD that starts off as gentle rain with distant thunder and the rain will get harder and thunder closer as it goes on.

I also have an Indian Spirit CD that is very smoothing.

IF ALL ELSE FAILS find you a copy of Mount Saint Helens.....WILL 100% put you to sleep....LOL
I doubt it, Granny!

The clock radio I have has 4 sound choices: ocean waves, forest, rainstorm, and something else. The forest one has an annoying bird that keeps chirping. LOL. I like the ocean waves one the best, but after a while any repetitive noise starts to annoy me if I can't fall asleep. My CD of choice at night (because this clock radio also has a CD player) is the soundtrack from Out of Africa. It has beautiful, soothing classical orchestrations (that is, it's not a bunch of fast Afro-pop or traditional Kenyan music).

If this clock radio ever dies, I hope I can find a replacement. I really really like all its features. And I hope I just didn't jinx myself by saying that!
Granny Hawkins likes this post.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:32 PM   #1474
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

The people who bring their whole fam damly get me. THEN they usually stop and talk to someone else who brought her whole fan damly.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:32 PM   #1475
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
We used to have a small pop up tent trailer and I would tow that behind our Mustang. It was a VERY small tent trailer. I didn't have a problem with that, but I could see everything. With the RV I wouldn't be able to see and that would bother me.
It would have to be small, to tow behind a Mustang! Was this before the girls came along?

Most of the bigger RVs have a camera on the back so you can see your tow vehicle. Some of the newer Class C rigs might also, if they're big enough to tow anything--car, boat, "toy hauler" (bikes, motorcycles, quads, etc).

Remember when camping used to be simply for getting back to nature? LOL
Old 07-03-2013, 12:35 PM   #1476
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
Our attic fan used to turn off and on but we bought a timer so when it goes off it stays off....OF COURSE you cannot do that with the pump....LOL
Nope, you can't. We found out what happens when you don't have it on.

In fact, when the folks leave, I'm going to stick a note on the fridge that says MAKE SURE SUMP PUMP IS PLUGGED IN.
Granny Hawkins likes this post.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:38 PM   #1477
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
I would NOT be able to sleep through that. My husband would. He sleep through anything and everything. It drives me crazy. And it takes him no longer than 30 seconds (NO EXAGGERATION - I timed him) to fall asleep.
Imagine hearing that crashing noise every 30 seconds. Or every 2 minutes.

Then, once the ground starts to dry out, you just never know how often it's going to kick in. It could be every 10 minutes, every 30 minutes, every 3 hours. Every 12 hours. You just never know.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:39 PM   #1478
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
The people who bring their whole fam damly get me. THEN they usually stop and talk to someone else who brought her whole fan damly.
If I go to the smaller grocery store on a week day, it's the retirees who stand and gab in the middle of the aisle. And they have ALLLLLLLL DAAAAAAAAAY to chat. lol
Old 07-03-2013, 12:48 PM   #1479
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Quote:

IF I would hold his pillow to his head I bet Poppa would fall asleep sitting on the side of the bed.
jor likes this post.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:55 PM   #1480
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Poppa SCARES me enough driving the car. I could NEVER ride with him in an RV....LOL

Anissa and her family are at a new KOA Campground,in a little one room cabin that has a bathroom(I think)beds ad A/C. Everything else is just like tent camping.